Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Yeah, that would be unfortunate. Assuming they're not planning on dropping Barry/Iris the way Arrow did Oliver/Laurel after S1, I think this is about leveling the playing field, so that Iris isn't the first/only serious relationship Barry ever has (I don't know why that's so important, but whatever). You're right though, if they luck out with the actress and she does become as popular as Felicity (which seems unlikely but who knows), then they'll be forced to respond to that, since we know these writers do respond to fan wishes, esp in this area.

I wonder if she's going to be allowed to be let in on the secret. It's hard to see how Barry can seriously date anyone who isn't, but they did say they were going to be introducing some new characters who won't know.

This seems like a fairly terrible idea.  What happens if the show manages to cast a woman that GG has insane chemistry with (I'm actually not counting on that, btw), and then a sizable, vocal portion of the audience starts shipping Barry/Wendy?  Why do these guys make things harder on themselves by pulling stunts like this?  If Wendy is like Linda, fine.  Barry/Wendy date a while, and then she leaves.  But if they completely luck into the right casting, it's going to be a mess when the show tries to put Barry/Iris back together.

Well they were never together in the first place and the way things ended in the finale with Iris continuously reinforcing their friendship I don't think it'll be much of a transition to Barry/Wendy as the the couple to root for, if Wendy connects with the audience and has sparks with Barry. Yes. There will be fans who will be pissed, disappointed etc. but if this new love interest and Barry are even half as popular as Oliver/Felicity, Iris will be toast.

(edited)

I think it depends on if they allow her to know his secret. Generally speaking, people left in the dark tend to be a lot more useless characters than the ones who aren't.

If they let her in on it and bring her onto the team, there could be trouble. But if she's one of those love interests who doesn't know anything, she's probably not going to be of much help anyway, and she'll probably just be used as a catalyst to make Iris jealous or something. Although making her a cop puts her right in the thick of things, so I don't know what it is they're trying to do here. Are they shifting away from Iris and Barry altogether, or is this just a stalling relationship?

If they do intend to hook B/I up then they've pretty much got to force her feelings to come out somehow- that could be what this other love interest is used for eventually.

Edited by ruby24
(edited)

My theory is that this whole creating Felicity 2.0 (4.0, 5.0, I've lost track by now) is actually a smokescreen, and "Wendy" is actually Hawkgirl.  They're going to do a reverse Raylicity, and use a relationship with Barry to help launch the character and the spinoff. I know that putting Ray into the middle of that triangle damaged him so badly that he had to come over to Flash for Cisco Therapy, but tptb seem unwilling to admit their own mistakes, and are blaming the whole debacle on the Olicity fans for failing to appreciate their genius. So, I could easily see them trying again with a character that's generating more excitement.

Beside, Wendy=Peter Pan's Wendy=Flying=Hawkgirl.

Edited by Lokiberry

It's not Hawk Girl but They May be using the Casting Call To get various roles on all 4 shows. Just like the "Simon" Arrow casting call seems to be Damian Darhk but perhaps Vandal Savage as well. And of Course Fecility's father if he's not DD.

But this Wendy girl does seem to be headed for a specific comic character and Flash has a cop role open with the Death of Eddie.

Yes. There will be fans who will be pissed, disappointed etc. but if this new love interest and Barry are even half as popular as Oliver/Felicity, Iris will be toast.

I'd say Barry and Iris are already on there way to gaining that popularity. Regardless, Iris will never not be Barry's endgame. 

People more knowledgeable about the comics; a little help. Could this be for Jay Garrick? Although the description is general enough to be almost anybody.

I am not as familiar with latter-day versions of Jay, but given the hint of "characters John Clark lettered," and the only entries in the DC wiki related to John Clark are Earth-2-centric (including one book with a JSA story that included Jay), and both "John Clark" and "Jay Garrick" start with J and end with k... I am strongly thinking it's him.  It would be weird to tease us with the helmet and then throw in Dr. Mid-Nite (or even Hawkman).

I would react adversely to this "new love interest for Barry in s2" news, but seriously, it would have been more surprising if TheCW didn't 'do normal' in this case.  And as far as either wanting 'another Felicity [& 'Olicity', by default]' or this new LI will really be just like Felicity... then thanks for trying to kill off almost all my interest in another show I would actually reallllly like otherwise, CW (if this pans out as they seem to be hoping for - and pretty much the same show-runners between Arrow and Flash).

(here's to hoping Supergirl (CBS) won't suffer from the unbearable LI/triangles tropes that CW can't ever live without.  I will watch LoT, but we all should know by now that CW will trope-ruin that too, at some point)

(edited)

I wonder if they really are trying to create another Olicity, or is this just a delay on the inevitable. I would think if they're actively trying to go in another direction it must mean they're not satisfied with Iris or something, similar to how people weren't nuts about KC on Arrow after S1. But I don't know if that's really the case here, I'm assuming this is planned to be temporary.

These guys are just so bad at the triangle stuff, I'm not looking forward to how contrived it's going to be. I will never understand why it's not entertaining enough to watch people fall in love without a pointless third party intrusion that the audience knows is going nowhere. Or why you can't have a couple be romantic and entertaining when they're together, especially on a show like this, which is meant to have a light tone anyway, so you really don't need the love life melodrama.

I really don't think anyone watches for that part of it anyway, I've noticed most fans of this show are into the comic book mythos stuff, the villains, the heroics, etc.

Edited by ruby24
(edited)

I don't think they're trying to recreate "Olicity". (If they really wanted to do that, Caitlyn's right there, anyway.) I think they just used Felicity as shorthand for the type of character/actress they want. Which is weird, since there's already two "Felicitys" on the show already.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
(edited)

I guess I shouldn't let my views and thoughts of Arrow directly reflect on Flash - especially when its yet to be seen on Flash - but lets just say I'm not an "Olicit-er" w/ Arrow, so I so much do not want another 'Olicity' type of thing going on with Flash.

And I disagree slightly, Trini, in that Caitlyn would/could/should already be Flash's "Felicity".  I only say that because if the casting call info is right - and, if, as guessed by some, "Wendy' is clued in to BA being the Flash - then it could/would be a nearly identical overall 'origin story' for "Wendy" as it was for Felicity (on Arrow).  IE, hero's civilian life introduces an attractive & smart but quirky woman through the 'workplace' and then she becomes an integral part to the hero-team, and later a LI.  Parallels between "Wendy" and Felicity are already so easy to see, if they decide to take it that direction. 

[Caitlyn was part of the 'team' from the day that "Harrison Wells" got hit-by-lightning-coma!BA moved to Star Labs]

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
(edited)

I don't think it's quite the same situation. I'm not an Olicity shipper either, but I've always seen the show's switch from Lauriver to Olicity as having more to do with Lauriver's rather epic failure than with the popularity of Olicity. I think if it hadn't been Olicity it would have been something else - the writers just happened to luck onto EBR and Felicity.

The Flash isn't in the same situation with WestAllen. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but they're not Lauriver. And let's not forget, once Arrow did move to Olicity as the official couple, the first they did was break them up (after one date!) and stick Ray Palmer right between them. So I wouldn't see this new character as any kind of indication that they've given up on WestAllen. It's just, unfortunately, how these writers like to write relationships.

Now, should they happen to luck into another EBR-type accident with the casting? Maaaaaaaybe. But I rather doubt it. I suspect more that this character is going to get all sorts of hate thrown at her from all corners. For interfering with WestAllen. For getting between Barry and Caitlin science-wise. Maybe even for sidelining Cisco. For being a Felicity clone (whether she actually turns out to be one or not). For being a Mary Sue (you know it's going to be said). I hope the actress, whoever she turns out to be, has a tough skin.

That is not to say that some of that criticism may not be undeserved. I do think, certainly, that some of the criticism about Ray was well deserved. But it is always a tricky situation to get audiences to accept a new character or ship after the characters and ships are already established (the situation with Lauriver and Olicity was unusual), and I do think it's more likely that this new character will be wildly hated than that she will become wildly popular. *shrugs* But that's just my two cents.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

No matter what happens, we have to "roll with it", if want to watch the show for other reasons despite personal relationships melodrama(s).

I'm thinking the best approach for this new-LI-for-Barry situation is 'prepare for the worst [CW going full-CW, ie "the usual"], and (maybe) be pleasantly surprised if get better than the very low baseline expectations'.

I think a lot will depend on whether they approach the character as a character first, with a legitimate reason for being added to the story, or as a LI with no reason to be there other than that.  

• Love 2

I think a lot will depend on whether they approach the character as a character first, with a legitimate reason for being added to the story, or as a LI with no reason to be there other than that.  

Agreed.  Will she be an Eddie, or a Linda Park

(Not that I think the "Eddie" character's storyline and scripting was treated all that well in the grand scheme of things, at least in terms of caring about him as an invested viewer in all aspects of the show, but at least he was a season-long recurring character.)

(edited)

He was a pointless season long recurring character though. There was no reason for him to be on the show so long, except that I guess they always needed an extraneous character for the finale sacrifice, so they were saving him for that. He did practically nothing else all season long.

I think this depends on whether she'll be let in on the secret or not. All characters who function in the dark about the hero's identity are somewhat useless. If they actually let her in, she'll have more to do and be more of a character by default. Which, tbh, I don't want to happen, because I'd rather she be a temporary annoyance who I know is going away soon, rather than a possible permanent fixture. They don't need another person on the team anyway, since they just let Iris in. Unless they're still not planning to include Iris in everything, which would suck.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

I agree that I don't want "Wendy" on the Flash team, either, if the speculation is true that the real Harrison Wells will be coming in to the show in s2 [and most likely his wife along with him].  (while Tess may not be a 'fixture' on the show, she'll still - most likely - be a "background" TeamFlash member by proxy)

Yeah, that's another good point. If the real Harrison Wells comes back, and Iris is there, plus Firestorm (for however long he's going to be there), and probably Jay Garrick, that's more than enough people on or knowing about Team Flash. We don't need another cop person just because she's Barry's temporary new love interest.

(edited)

Yes.  There is more than enough able & willing bodies available for the Team.

If there was one nitpick I had about s1, it was about how Barry being the Flash was the biggest 'open' secret in the world.  Everyone knew his secret/identity that season, most soon after encountering the hero.  [iris, being the melodramatic relationship drama foil for him, was the left in the dark longest]

Just about every single enemy - that wasn't killed in the same ep they appeared in (only 1 off the top of my head was 'Clone' guy in 1.02) - knew who he was.  Poor Linda (& Captain Singh) was the only one(s) who didn't know.  [but considering some of the things that Singh said, and certain looks given to Joe & Barry, I'm wondering if he was really as clueless towards Barry/Flash as was implied]

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

It's been confirmed everyone. Some audition video leaked (maybe someone else can find and post it), but she's definitely Patty Spivot, and Patty has been updated from a lab assistant to a cop. She's Joe's new partner, so she practically is the new Eddie.

She apparently also knows about the metahumans, so I'm assuming she's going to know about Barry being The Flash too. Again, I don't know why this is necessary- they don't need yet another person on the team.

So, s1 = Iris/Eddie + Barry and now s2 will = Barry/Patty + Iris.

And Joe will get to be very uncomfortable again, because of the 'my child'/'my partner' [while dealing with my child being in love with my 'other' child, while they are in a relationship with my partner] dynamic going on around him, yet again

Just absolutely can't help yourselves, can you CW?!  *long unhappy sigh*

Welp - either this show is about to go down a Sleepy Hollow path (in which case, I'm out) or it's going to surprise me. I have a feeling it's the former.

Eddie accounted for many Iris scenes we managed to get - I have a feeling that even with her knowing the secret, she'll still be marginalized and shoved aside... Patty will likely get more screen time because she's hooked up with Barry AND Joe's partner and apparently a former friend/colleague of Barry's.

So much for my hope that Iris/Barry would be shown working cases together.

I'm losing enthusiasm for S2.

• Love 1

I hoping for the slim chance that Patty is not going to be a love interest for Barry. (Longshot, I know.) Maybe they only go as far as flirting. Because whether she's in on the secret or not, I think another 'cop' character could work on the show. --If they treat her better than they treated Eddie. Poor Eddie.

And Joe will get to be very uncomfortable again, because of the 'my child'/'my partner' [while dealing with my child being in love with my 'other' child, while they are in a relationship with my partner] dynamic going on around him, yet again

They better not; did they not see how well (not!) that worked out last season?

I hoping for the slim chance that Patty is not going to be a love interest for Barry. (Longshot, I know.) Maybe they only go as far as flirting. Because whether she's in on the secret or not, I think another 'cop' character could work on the show. --If they treat her better than they treated Eddie. Poor Eddie.

They better not; did they not see how well (not!) that worked out last season?

CP already confirmed that Barry was getting a new LI, as Iris won't be in the mood for any relationship stuff due to grieving over Eddie.

Welp - either this show is about to go down a Sleepy Hollow path (in which case, I'm out) or it's going to surprise me. I have a feeling it's the former.

Eddie accounted for many Iris scenes we managed to get - I have a feeling that even with her knowing the secret, she'll still be marginalized and shoved aside... Patty will likely get more screen time because she's hooked up with Barry AND Joe's partner and apparently a former friend/colleague of Barry's.

So much for my hope that Iris/Barry would be shown working cases together.

I'm losing enthusiasm for S2.

Is she a former friend/colleague of Barry's too? I couldn't see those videos on the site, they wouldn't work for me.

Here's something else that's irritating about this. Patty Spivot wasn't a cop, but they obviously made her one here so she could be in on the action/involved in the cases. So she's going to become part of the team effort while Iris is off grieving Eddie, right? How can they possibly not see what the issues are there?

The Iris character had problems in the first season because she was kept out of the loop, and now they're bringing in someone else with a built-in role to be a part of things while she still won't be. How can these people not see that Iris should be the one getting a bigger role on the team, especially if they want her to be with Barry eventually.

• Love 2

Here's something else that's irritating about this. Patty Spivot wasn't a cop, but they obviously made her one here so she could be in on the action/involved in the cases. So she's going to become part of the team effort while Iris is off grieving Eddie, right? How can they possibly not see what the issues are there?

The Iris character had problems in the first season because she was kept out of the loop, and now they're bringing in someone else with a built-in role to be a part of things while she still won't be. How can these people not see that Iris should be the one getting a bigger role on the team, especially if they want her to be with Barry eventually.

Its becoming apparent (to me), that CW - or the creative teams involved in these two universe-sharing shows - don't know how to appropriately handle the roles for lead actresses.  They did it with Laurel on Arrow (Oliver's comic-canon [mostly] OneTrueLove) and are doing it now with Iris on Flash (Barry's c-c OTL).

I joined the Arrow 'party' late, earlier this past season, but I remember being under the impression that the show started off with the premise of O/L & GA/BC being "end-game".  Same going for B/I on Flash.  That's not to definitively say that neither will ultimately end up that way, but based on current trajectories for both, not really sure that the 'destinations' are worth the annoying & (after-the-fact) pointless lengths the 'journeys' will take to reach them...... but 'tis CW we are pontificating about.

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually think if they really do fuck up this Barry/Iris thing, that's even worse than what's happened to GA/BC on Arrow. That's bad enough, but at least you can say that their 40 years of comic book history was turbulent and on/off, and they set it up so that they had a past relationship already, even if it was offscreen.

Barry and Iris though, are absolutely rock solid, nearly 50 years of being together. Married, kids, all of it. In the most recent comics (just a couple of years old) they've had them apart for the first time ever, barring a situation where the only reason they were not together was because Barry thought she was dead. But it's telling that of all storylines, that is what they chose to seize on, plus creating an alternate timeline, just so that they don't necessarily have to be together on the show.

But to do that to one of the most solid, committed couples in comic book history (actually I think it's the most, they're probably more committed than even Superman and Lois Lane in canon), is so lame, because I would have really liked to see them as the couple/partners they're supposed to be and have been for the vast majority of their history. I would like to see any of these shows try to give us that angle on it for once.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3

It's just the typical keep the main couple apart trope. They keep using the Moonlighting curse as an excuse, but at this point shows not just this one are so worried about it, that's it's become it's own curse. Which is the keep the will they/won't they going until the most of the audience stops caring about the couple and start dropping the show, then put them together. And when people fail to come back they blame the Moonlighting curse, instead of their stupid plots to keep the couple apart. 

For me I already don't care about Barry/Iris because they have failed to make me see why I'd want them together. I don't care about what happened in the comics, I need to see it onscreen to care. If Barry and Iris are meant to be, show that to me! Don't throw in random love interests or keep them separated most of the season or keep one in the dark of the main secret for stupid reasons. If Iris was Barry's best friend, she should've been the first person he told about what happened to him. That's what best friends do. With a secret like that most people would tell either their family or their best friend, and for Barry, Iris is both. 

It would've been better for me if Barry told Iris right away and they were trying to keep it from Joe. But then I guess they couldn't give Barry his 500 father figures that way. 

• Love 3

If Iris was Barry's best friend, she should've been the first person he told about what happened to him. That's what best friends do. With a secret like that most people would tell either their family or their best friend, and for Barry, Iris is both. 

Exactly!  And if Barry had told her first, then Joe had told him not to tell her, the 'secret' could have been about keeping it from Joe that she knew.  Then that would have been a good reason for her to keep her distance somewhat, and they could have had her occasionally helping at odd moments that would have put that secret in jeopardy.  

(edited)

It's just the typical keep the main couple apart trope. They keep using the Moonlighting curse as an excuse, but at this point shows not just this one are so worried about it, that's it's become it's own curse. Which is the keep the will they/won't they going until the most of the audience stops caring about the couple and start dropping the show, then put them together. And when people fail to come back they blame the Moonlighting curse, instead of their stupid plots to keep the couple apart. 

For me I already don't care about Barry/Iris because they have failed to make me see why I'd want them together. I don't care about what happened in the comics, I need to see it onscreen to care. If Barry and Iris are meant to be, show that to me! Don't throw in random love interests or keep them separated most of the season or keep one in the dark of the main secret for stupid reasons. If Iris was Barry's best friend, she should've been the first person he told about what happened to him. That's what best friends do. With a secret like that most people would tell either their family or their best friend, and for Barry, Iris is both. 

It would've been better for me if Barry told Iris right away and they were trying to keep it from Joe. But then I guess they couldn't give Barry his 500 father figures that way. 

I don't necessarily dislike the will-they-or-won't-they trope (if done well, it's loads better than 90% of committed romantic relationships I've seen on TV, at least when it comes to main characters), but otherwise, ITA.

Also, I think I've read somewhere that Patty will be Joe's new partner. So at least she won't be "science-y" too much, thank God. I was afraid that the show will have to dumb Barry down even more.

Edited by FurryFury
(edited)

Welp - either this show is about to go down a Sleepy Hollow path (in which case, I'm out) or it's going to surprise me. I have a feeling it's the former.Eddie accounted for many Iris scenes we managed to get - I have a feeling that even with her knowing the secret, she'll still be marginalized and shoved aside... Patty will likely get more screen time because she's hooked up with Barry AND Joe's partner and apparently a former friend/colleague of Barry's.So much for my hope that Iris/Barry would be shown working cases together.I'm losing enthusiasm for S2.

This is my biggest problem with the new spoilers. I like the potential that is Barry/Iris. The actors have great chemistry. However, I'm not here for WestAllen. I'm here for more Iris. Last season, her scenes were almost exclusively tied to Eddie or Barry. Now that Eddie is dead and Barry will be off with a new love interest (who will be a cop and could very well know his secret) the implication is we will likely see even less Iris, which gives me pause. Now that she knows Barry's secret and is a reporter there is no reason why she can't grieve and remain single, while throwing herself into her work which leads to her being an asset to Team Flash. I really do hope this is the direction the writers go with her but I'm not holding my breath. They pretty much showed their hand in S1 when they reduced Iris to a glorified extra in the second half of the season save for one, maybe two episodes, failed to follow up on any stories that could've spun from the discoveries she made on her own (making the connection between Firestorm and Ronnie, sneaking a picture of the Flash etc.) and even when she did learn the truth she had the one episode to respond but was then put back in the corner to observe the action not contribute to it. Again, I hope I will be pleasantly surprised by what the new season has in store for her, but my experience with situations such as this says otherwise.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 4

This seems like a fairly terrible idea.  What happens if the show manages to cast a woman that GG has insane chemistry with (I'm actually not counting on that, btw), and then a sizable, vocal portion of the audience starts shipping Barry/Wendy?  Why do these guys make things harder on themselves by pulling stunts like this?  If Wendy is like Linda, fine.  Barry/Wendy date a while, and then she leaves.  But if they completely luck into the right casting, it's going to be a mess when the show tries to put Barry/Iris back together.  

Ha, I'd be shocked.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with Iris, but given what we've seen, it looks like they'll keep her in the background until it's time to create angst and drama for Barry and Patty/Wendy. I expect that'll be sometime around mid season final.

(edited)

I don't know how accurate this is, but over on fanforum there's a rumor that Samantha Gort, of the Carrie Diaries, has been cast as Patty. I'm not at all familiar with this actress.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2789953/

If that's her it's interesting that she's definitely going to be older than Barry. That actress is 31 and looks more her age than some of the other actors on the show, especially Grant, who has such a baby face and still looks like a teenager. It might kind of interesting if he goes for a somewhat older, more mature woman.

Edited by ruby24

This is my biggest problem with the new spoilers. I like the potential that is Barry/Iris. The actors have great chemistry. However, I'm not here for WestAllen. I'm here for more Iris. Last season, her scenes were almost exclusively tied to Eddie or Barry. Now that Eddie is dead and Barry will be off with a new love interest (who will be a cop and could very well know his secret) the implication is we will likely see even less Iris, which gives me pause. Now that she knows Barry's secret and is a reporter there is no reason why she can't grieve and remain single, while throwing herself into her work which leads to her being an asset to Team Flash. I really do hope this is the direction the writers go with her but I'm not holding my breath. They pretty much showed their hand in S1 when they reduced Iris to a glorified extra in the second half of the season save for one, maybe two episodes, failed to follow up on any stories that could've spun from the discoveries she made on her own (making the connection between Firestorm and Ronnie, sneaking a picture of the Flash etc.) and even when she did learn the truth she had the one episode to respond but was then put back in the corner to observe the action not contribute to it. Again, I hope I will be pleasantly surprised by what the new season has in store for her, but my experience with situations such as this says otherwise.

I agree. I could almost accept this if Iris was going to get her own storyline and PoV - even if we will probably have to suffer a reverse of Season 1 where Iris pines for Barry instead of the other way around.

My hope is that they will let Iris be literally uncontainable as a reporter - taking risks and doing whatever she can to get the story... partially to hide from her grief and loneliness after Eddie's death.

And then in S3 (prob after Iris and Barry are together), Eddie gets resurrected as Cobalt Blue.

• Love 2

I'm not here for this either. CP is my lead as Iris West and I don't have any time for interlopers. Develop the characters you have for god's sake.

• Love 4

Seems like another unnecessary ship stall. I don't think Barry and Iris are ready to get together, but I don't need to watch another relationship destined to fail either. How about just introducing another female character who's not a love interest. Or, crazy idea, focus on fleshing out the characters you already have.

I came to The Flash late, but I must say I welcome the news of a new love interest. Maybe i've been spoilt by other shows, but neither WestAllen nor SnowBarry work for me really, and i prefer Felicity with Oliver. So really, I hope they manage to find an actress and a character who sparks more with Barry and GG. And I get that it is a complete chemistry thing, but on The CW, really, I've been spoiled by some pairings that IMO have had wonderful chemistry and for me a good LI is the one thing missing from Flash. 

For me, right now, my ask is simple - I think Barry has had more chemistry with Joe, Wells and even Eddie than he has had with the women - and i'd like the woman in his life to have at least the same spark, if not more. These relationships are also more complex (the ones with J, W & E, I mean), and therefore more interesting for me to watch. I would like it if they could replicate that with Barry's relationships with the women in his life. (Though I daresay, Barry/Iris interactions should become a lot more complex after the events of the finale). 

(edited)

GG has kind of a puppy dog vibe to him, and he really comes across as kind of a big kid, so I'm wondering if that's the reason for a lack of sexual/romantic chemistry with the girls (and why he's good playing son to the father figures). He's so sweet, but I don't know if he can pull off the kind of heat that's needed for that kind of chemistry in an onscreen relationship. I saw zero with Caitlin, even less with Linda (he seemed scared of her if anything), and with Iris and Felicity he seemed more friendly than anything else.

I think he can work with Iris though, because she also has a sweet, genuine personality that I think can match with his. I just don't know if we're going to get the typical kind of fireworks chemistry with him and another actress, it's probably going to be more low key.

Although, I think it's hard to get genuine chemistry, when it happens it's more luck than anything. The last CW couple that I saw undeniable, explosive sparks between was Leighton Meester and Ed Westwick on Gossip Girl. It's pretty rare.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1
(edited)

More (recurring?) characters coming:

Any Westallen scoop to help us survive The Flash‘s hiatus? –Kaz

As we all surmised when I wrote this not-at-all-controversial bit, Barry is getting his own “Felicity” because it’s simply too soon for Iris to move on from Eddie — especially since Season 2 picks up right where we left off, with The Flash fighting the wormhole. “[Eddie’s death] is definitely a factor, for sure,” Grant Gustin says. “Barry wants to be there for Iris as her best friend right now. And for Barry, too. It’s too soon for everybody. Some tragic events just took place!” Interestingly, exec producer Geoff Johns added that the aforementioned (and yet-to-be-cast) CCPD noob Wendy Miller won’t be the only one shaking up the status quo when the CW hit returns. “There are a lot of new characters coming in, not just the ones that have been leaked online,” he teased. “And they all will challenge relationships, in good and bad ways.”

Edited by Trini

Candice Patton confirms that they're going to drag Iris/Barry out for many seasons to come. It seems like a dumb idea to me, but perhaps this is the writers way of weaseling out of writing them in the meantime.