Type keyword(s) to search

Real Housewives in the Media

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,
  • Take discussions of individual housewives to their threads.
  • Watch your tone.
  • This is not the let's complain about who "ruined the show" thread.  Let's stick to media discussions. 
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, IKnowRight said:

This is why the NYTimes is not taken seriously anymore, the way it was 20+ years ago, that was my point.  A clickbait-y headline that a reality star in the NYTimes,taking 4 bites of caviar is tacky IMO.  Pathetic, tacky and ridiculous.  Again, that’s my opinion.

Sure, if they want a gossip section, whatever, but that headline was ridiculous.  Bet they would not have used that on certain celebrities, only reserved for the ones they don’t like.

It’s in the style section; I don’t believe that section has ever had a reputation for serious, hard-hitting journalism.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, link417 said:

It’s in the style section; I don’t believe that section has ever had a reputation for serious, hard-hitting journalism.

Also, that was the headline in the print edition not the online version which didn’t mention her in the headline, so not clickbait by it’s very definition.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 7/29/2019 at 7:48 PM, Rahul said:

Who is financing this little vanity project? In any case, it's far better than any track Luann has ever sung. 

On 7/30/2019 at 5:15 AM, HunterHunted said:

Fiber One. Honestly, the song is a bop and much better than Luann's entire catalogue.

I've said before that Bravo needs to put all of these women together and tour them. Bravo's Barely Talented. Bravo's Got Talent? The question mark is intentional. There are a lot of Bravolebrities with 2 or 3 songs, but not an album. I think it would be a really fun tour. If the Countess and Friends tours and makes money, an all Bravo tour could too. Heck, the Try Guys have a 20 city tour.

A little late to the fiber party, but I agree it’s pretty fun! 

I wondered where Erika Jayne was, but then I remembered that they wanted a fun vibe.

• LOL 12
  • Love 4

Is anyone reading Candace Bushnell’s new book “Is there still sex in the city?”

Ive never read her stuff but this is a memoir and heard there were story’s about some of HWs since she is friends with many. The names are changed but Carole’s meeting Adam at Luanne’s house is in there. I’m just wondering if anyone knows who the real names are behind any of the characters. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 8/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, prettybird said:

Is anyone reading Candace Bushnell’s new book “Is there still sex in the city?”

Ive never read her stuff but this is a memoir and heard there were story’s about some of HWs since she is friends with many. The names are changed but Carole’s meeting Adam at Luanne’s house is in there. I’m just wondering if anyone knows who the real names are behind any of the characters. 

There’s a rumor/speculation that one of the one-episode characters on SATC is based on Dorinda. (Sorry, casual fan so my description is poor—but it’s the woman—with the loud, hypersensitive husband—who gives Carrie the scarf.) So I bet one of them is her!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

There’s a rumor/speculation that one of the one-episode characters on SATC is based on Dorinda. (Sorry, casual fan so my description is poor—but it’s the woman—with the loud, hypersensitive husband—who gives Carrie the scarf.) So I bet one of them is her!

This often gets repeated but no one has a source or reason why they think it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

This often gets repeated but no one has a source or reason why they think it.

That’s why I said it was rumor/spec. But: The two women do know each other. Dorinda’s behavior and the character’s behavior do have similarities. And: the husband’s name is Richard. None of this is conclusive, and of course it’s fictionalized, anyway, but there are some dots that could be connected. (ETA the husband is rumored to be modeled after Dorinda’s FIRST husband.)

Even if D is not Susan Sharon... I wouldn’t be surprised if she were in this new book.

Edited by ivygirl
Apparently Richard is a coincidence.
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

That’s why I said it was rumor/spec. But: The two women do know each other. Dorinda’s behavior and the character’s behavior do have similarities. And: the husband’s name is Richard. None of this is conclusive, and of course it’s fictionalized, anyway, but there are some dots that could be connected. 

Even if D is not Susan Sharon... I wouldn’t be surprised if she were in this new book.

The episode where Susan Sharon and Richard were introduced aired in July of 1999. Dorinda didn’t even meet Richard until 2005 a year after Sex and the City went off the air.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The episode where Susan Sharon and Richard were introduced aired in July of 1999. Dorinda didn’t even meet Richard until 2005.

I edited while you were quoting; apparently/assumedly based on her FIRST husband.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 1
Just now, ivygirl said:

I edited while you were quoting; apparently based on her FIRST husband.

But when the story first circulated people used the fact that the husband was named Richard as evidence it was Dorinda and had to backtrack to say the first husband when the dates didn’t add up. The rumor seems to come from nothing.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ivygirl said:

None of this is conclusive, and of course it’s fictionalized, anyway, but there are some dots that could be connected.

...and don't forget the cashmere connection!

Susan Sharon gives Carrie a cashmere scarf, and Dorinda had a cashmere scarf company!

ETA the husband is rumored to be modeled after Dorinda’s FIRST husband.)

Her first husband was named Ralph Lynch- I think Richard is a tip of the hat soundwise (R/ch) without being too overt. 

Odd, though, that she married a Richard ; ) 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, film noire said:

...and don't forget the cashmere connection!

Susan Sharon gives Carrie a cashmere scarf, and Dorinda had a cashmere scarf company!

Her first husband was named Ralph Lynch- I think Richard is a tip of the hat soundwise (R/ch) without being too overt. 

Odd, though, that she married a Richard ; ) 

Again—not an expert—but isn’t Candace Bushnell also known for fictionalizing her relationships/friends for her books? You barely have to fictionalize Dorinda to make her into a character 🤣 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Again—not an expert—but isn’t Candace Bushnell also known for fictionalizing her relationships/friends for her books? 

Yes, she is known for that: 

"Last fall, as the writers of HBO’s Sex and the City were debating how to end the show, Ron Galotti, the real-life Mr. Big, was trying to decide what to do with the rest of his life. Galotti, who inspired the character played by Chris Noth, had been fired from his job as the publisher at GQ after the failure of Talk magazine, the high-profile venture he’d started with Tina Brown in 1999. "

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/media/features/n_10334/index.html

And Stanford Blatch  was also based on someone in her life:

"If you were even a semi-regular watcher of Sex and the City you remember Stanford - the balding, short and gay best friend of Carrie. Blatch cannot hurt Bushnell, of course, but there is the small matter of the man on whom he was based. That would be Clifford Streit. If Streit didn't much like how he was portrayed - "the most pathetic gay image ever shown on the screen," he says - that is one thing. But his gripe with Ms Bushnell goes deeper than that."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cash-and-carrie-candace-bushnell-sued-by-former-friend-308342.html

You barely have to fictionalize Dorinda to make her into a character 🤣 

Oh, for time travel - what I'd give to see Susan Sharon eat a whole roast chicken while watching Lennie Briscoe....

law and order.png

Edited by film noire
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Yes Candiace is known for fictionalizing people but my point is the rumor started once Dorinda was on the show based on cashmere and the name Richard and when pointed out the timing didn’t work for Richard they just said it must have been the first husband even though she spent most of her marriage to him living in London. Just seeing it occur in real time with no evidence and evolve when a main part couldn’t be true makes it extremely suspect in my mind.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

it must have been the first husband even though she spent most of her marriage to him living in London.

I thought she lived in London with her second husband, Richard.  She's talked very nostalgically of those years.

• Love 1
Just now, AuntieDiane6 said:

I thought she lived in London with her second husband, Richard.  She's talked very nostalgically of those years.

Nope. First husband they lived in London, she lived in NY with Richard but they did visit London. 

• Love 1
On 8/13/2019 at 2:48 PM, film noire said:

Oh, for time travel - what I'd give to see Susan Sharon eat a whole roast chicken while watching Lennie Briscoe....

law and order.png

Or Susan Sharon watching Max Greevey and Mike Logan (played by an actor who looks suspiciously like Carrie's Mr. Big) solve the murder of Suzanne Morton (played by Erika Chahoy Zizzo Girardi Jayne Jaynirardi). First person murdered on Law & Order.

Can't forget that Susan Sharon's husband yells at Susan and Carrie for being drunk and loud late at night because he's on London time.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Could you please elaborate? Thank you!

He did a serious look (but also with jokes) at discrimination in medical care and research, which is worth watching just on the strength of that.  And he managed to work in a very funny reference to RHoNY.

Here you go: 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, backhometome said:

That sucks. She brought life back to the show.

For you. I loved seasons 5 and 6. Bethenny barely improved the ratings, cost a fuck ton of money, and slowly eroded a carefree atmosphere that had been developing among the women. I think Bethenny is particularly toxic and nasty.

• Love 17
25 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Wasn't part of her Skinny girl payout an annuity that was specifically tied to sales and her own promotion of the brand over a period of years? Me thinks the contract time has run out.

She did mention that in vague terms around the beginning of summer.  Plus she signed that development deal with Mark Burnett.  So she is doing a lot of West Coast travel.  Then there is the jeans business.  I can see how if she didn’t need the show for promo that it’s just less stress to walk away.  Remember Luann with be drinking and cabareting next year.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

She did mention that in vague terms around the beginning of summer.  Plus she signed that development deal with Mark Burnett.  So she is doing a lot of West Coast travel.  Then there is the jeans business.  I can see how if she didn’t need the show for promo that it’s just less stress to walk away.  Remember Luann with be drinking and cabareting next year.

Or maybe girl has been fired. Isn't she the one who said that nobody quits the Real Housewives show.

Edited by Happy Camper
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Happy Camper said:

Or maybe girl has been fired. Isn't she the one who said that nobody quits the Real Housewives show.

Really?  It’s just a contract.  You don’t sign you don’t appear.  It’s against the law to force someone to work against their will.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

Really?  It’s just a contract.  You don’t sign you don’t appear.  It’s against the law to force someone to work against their will.

She said it in regards to Carole not in the literal sense instead saying that she was the only person who has ever willingly walked away (even though that’s not actually true).

5 minutes ago, Anne Thrax said:

It’s what we are discussing both in this thread and B’s thread.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Happy Camper said:

Well, she did make that claim when Carole left.  Here's the tea.  She's on a reality TV show, but for the last few years she's been able to get away with not talking about her personal life.  If she had continued with the show, that would have to change.  And she figure this would be the time to go.

• Love 6

Or maybe girl has been fired.

She's on a reality TV show, but for the last few years she's been able to get away with not talking about her personal life.  If she had continued with the show, that would have to change.  And she figure this would be the time to go.

I think Bethenny being who she is, she found what is in her view a more lucrative option and took it.

She brought life back to the show.

I'll miss her too.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She said it in regards to Carole not in the literal sense instead saying that she was the only person who has ever willingly walked away (even though that’s not actually true).

Yes! That was my point. Bethenny's claim that Carole's leaving was not her decision because BETHENNY is the only one that ever willingly left the show.

Will that big ego of hers be able to squeeze out of the RHNY doors?

Edited by Happy Camper
  • Love 8

Looks like Bravo is PISSED:

"In March, the reality star and Skinnygirl mogul, 48, announced a partnership with MGM Television and Mark Burnett to produce unscripted TV projects. The huge deal was a shock to her pals at Bravo, an insider told Radar.

“They were very upset,” the insider claimed. “A Housewife can do a one-off show like Dancing With the Stars, not a regular series in reality TV. Everyone was pissed off. For all the things the network has done for Bethenny, it was a slap in the face.”

Many staffers were also upset by her farewell statement, which claimed she wanted to “represent a shift in the conversation for women.” “People are shocked, because she is the one who drove the show into all the drama and arguments,” the insider explained. “Now she is saying she doesn’t want to be part of it.”

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/08/rhony-execs-upset-with-bethenny-frankel-months-before-quit-bravo-show/

I wonder if  Bravo is leaking this - their anger/Frankel's direct hand in creating the ugliest scenes on the show - as leverage to force Frankel into a few guest appearances this season?  

Edited by film noire
  • Love 8
On 8/21/2019 at 7:52 PM, QuinnM said:

Remember Luann will be drinking and cabareting next year.

We have a winner! I would walk away from seven digits if it meant Lu would stop inviting me to her cabaret show.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • LOL 13
  • Love 3

their anger/Frankel's direct hand in creating the ugliest scenes on the show

This show has had plenty of ugly moments without her being involved.

I would walk away from six digits if it meant Lu would stop inviting me to her cabaret show

Her new title, The Countess of Cabaret?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, film noire said:

Looks like Bravo is PISSED:

"In March, the reality star and Skinnygirl mogul, 48, announced a partnership with MGM Television and Mark Burnett to produce unscripted TV projects. The huge deal was a shock to her pals at Bravo, an insider told Radar.

“They were very upset,” the insider claimed. “A Housewife can do a one-off show like Dancing With the Stars, not a regular series in reality TV. Everyone was pissed off. For all the things the network has done for Bethenny, it was a slap in the face.”

Many staffers were also upset by her farewell statement, which claimed she wanted to “represent a shift in the conversation for women.” “People are shocked, because she is the one who drove the show into all the drama and arguments,” the insider explained. “Now she is saying she doesn’t want to be part of it.”

https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2019/08/rhony-execs-upset-with-bethenny-frankel-months-before-quit-bravo-show/

I wonder if  Bravo is leaking this - their anger/Frankel's direct hand in creating the ugliest scenes on the show - as leverage to force Frankel into a few guest appearances this season?  

Then why wasn't she fired months ago? They seem to have been willing to deal with her before whenever she actually quit. I'm no fan of Current Beth, but pieces don't fit from Bravo's side of they were so "pissed."

• Love 3
18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

New Housewife? Shockingly she is white, skinny, blonde and a friend of Tinsley’s.

D-list designer Leah McSweeney unleashes racism, homophobia after SNL’s Michael Che rejects her

Leah McSweeney is the founder of the “Married to the MOB” female streetwear line. On her podcast this week, she brought up a recent text exchange she had with Saturday Night Live comedian Michael Che.

“I met a comedian. I’ve dealt with a few comedians. They are the worst,” McSweeney said. “Michael Che is so arrogant and so rude and disrespectful that I cannot even believe that someone … You’re like a D-list celebrity to me! Whatever!”

She continued: “Why are you on a dating app if you hate women? Literally, you’ve never met me and you’re texting me like I’m a stupid bitch … Texting me and being mad rude. You’re trying to fuck with me? I don’t get it. You’re just a fucking dork wearing Air Force Ones [sneakers] at the end of the day. … Like, fuck you! I just can’t deal.”

But a series of text exchanges between the two, published by Page Six, don’t appear to support McSweeney’s allegations in the least. If anything, they expose the socially awkward, not to mention racist and slightly homophobic, strategies she employs when trying to seduce guys on dating apps.

In the exchange, which happened between September 2016 and January 2017, McSweeney makes several comments to Che about how all men on dating app Raya “look gay.” She also makes an uncomfortable comment about how “U [sic] hate me cus [sic] I’m white” and says she’d be ashamed if their mutual friends read through the messages.

After the texts were published, McSweeney went on the defense. She told Jezebel that Che “planted” the story, then she posted a series of irate and racially-charged responses on Twitter:

Michael che a little bitch for planting a story cus he's mad. Take a joke dude. Ugh he's worse then I thought!!

— Leah McSweeney (@LeahMcSweeney) January 11, 2017

You racist AF. Nothing to do with Che being black. He's just an asshole. https://t.co/AhOpOVhrF1

Wow this woman is really angry at white people. I'm sorry!! For whatever I did. https://t.co/uSJYYFaZxi

This insane woman literally turned a gossip bit into a race war of some sort. Gd help us with people like this in the world. https://t.co/fmORGZ7izZ

K guys time to find a new topic tho I know seeing a successful hot unapologetic bitch get dragged thru mud is fun for most of you hoes!!

— Leah McSweeney (@LeahMcSweeney) January 12, 2017

And then, of course, there’s this:

#NAMASTEBITCHES ??? pic.twitter.com/T86QEdamqH

— Leah McSweeney (@LeahMcSweeney) January 12, 2017

Someone get this deranged woman a publicist to clean up this mess stat!

image.png.abeef9412167c70315ed93c37df4b87c.png

image.png.b5f44ac1ab0b527ee11c3e8c59723f9b.png

image.png.00432bc0f42ba711449ce48f24f701df.png

image.png.6143683e89ac0a20f4b5ba3c23261272.png

Edited by druzy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2