Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/01/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 12/1: Tai Beauchamp, guest co-host Andy Cohen
Tu 12/2: Glenn Close, John Lithgow, Jennifer Hudson, guest co-host Alicia Menendez
We 12/3: Seth MacFarlane, guest co-host Nene Leakes
Th 12/4: Guest co-host Cyndi Lauper
Fr 12/5: Chris Rock, J.B. Smoove, guest co-host Bella Thorne

I was happy to see Andy today because I didn't know he was going to be on. Whoopi talking about Ray Rice and all the "mmm hmmm" and "uh huh" replies from her are driving me crazy already. At least the others are making sense this morning.

• Love 7

I already knew Whoopi had little respect for "regular" people, but telling Andy Cohen that finding an architect / scientist full of life is rare. Mmkay Whoopi only celebs have full exciting lives. She really BW.

• Love 14

already knew Whoopi had little respect for "regular" people, but telling Andy Cohen that finding an architect / scientist full of life is rare. Mmkay Whoopi only celebs have full exciting lives. She really BW.

I'm sure all scientists and architects will be so glad to hear Whoopi Goldberg is such an expert on their lives. 

• Love 9

So here's an idea, how about we switch out Whoopi for Andy Cohen....hands?

I hope Andy has been writing a sequel to his book and his appearance on the View makes it into the book, b/c I bet there was lots of bitching behind the scenes.  I could totally see Rosie O and Andy gabbing in her dressing room, hell Andy and Rosie P as well.  I bet Andy would have some thoughts about Whoopi; he seems like he isn't impressed w/her highness.

• Love 9

Good idea but Andy already has a really fun show on Bravo - maybe because he's also the top showrunner for it. 

I haven't seen the show yet today and planned on skipping it until I saw Andy was on.  Still, I don't think my blood pressure can stand Whoopi telling us how Ray Rice (who should be behind bars in my opinion) deserves to play in the NFL. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

Wow, Whoopi really is the new Babs.  So condescending and superior to all the "little people."  If you are a celebrity, you are immune from all wrongdoing and criticism as far as she is concerned.  She is such an ass.  Andy would never "settle" for an architect?  Just wow.

All-knowing Whoopi also said that Ray Rice is a great football player and he will definitely be picked up.  That may be true, but I heard a sportscaster say yesterday that Rice has several negatives against him: he is in his late twenties (old for a running back), he had a bad season last year, and he has not played this season.  So, it may not be as certain as Whoopi says.  She just annoys me the way she always tries to sound as if she has inside knowledge.  That's my Whoopi rant for the day.   

• Love 14

Wow, Whoopi really is the new Babs. So condescending and superior to all the "little people." If you are a celebrity, you are immune from all wrongdoing and criticism as far as she is concerned. She is such an ass. Andy would never "settle" for an architect? Just wow.

All-knowing Whoopi also said that Ray Rice is a great football player and he will definitely be picked up. That may be true, but I heard a sportscaster say yesterday that Rice has several negatives against him: he is in his late twenties (old for a running back), he had a bad season last year, and he has not played this season. So, it may not be as certain as Whoopi says. She just annoys me the way she always tries to sound as if she has inside knowledge. That's my Whoopi rant for the day.

Whoopi was trying really hard not to defend Ray Rice but did any one catch that this was unusual for him. That he never had any trouble before this. Whoopi was Just letting us know that, while he may have messed up by knocking out his girlfriend the hell out, he is a good guy. Save it Whoopi.

I don't think a MAN can knock a woman out, drag her, and still be considered a good guy.

• Love 17

Whoopi was trying really hard not to defend Ray Rice but did any one catch that this was unusual for him. That he never had any trouble before this. Whoopi was Just letting us know that, while he may have messed up by knocking out his girlfriend the hell out, he is a good guy. Save it Whoopi.

I don't think a MAN can knock a woman out, drag her, and still be considered a good guy.

Ray Rice might not ever have been in trouble before but I do not believe he has never did anything wrong before.  IMO he just never got caught.  There was another football player who was also thought of as a good guy till he was accused of murdering his wife.  I'm just saying......

• Love 20

Ray Rice might not ever have been in trouble before but I do not believe he has never did anything wrong before.  IMO he just never got caught.

This.  He'd still be considered as someone who has never been in any trouble if that elevator tape had not gone public.

I bet Andy would have some thoughts about Whoopi; he seems like he isn't impressed w/her highness.

He certainly seemed to have a WTF?? look on his face pretty much whenever she was speaking.

First time I've caught a Must Have Monday segment, and I must say I enjoyed the laugh it gave me: 

"Look at what we have here folks, the coolest portable charger ever - it can hold five charges at once!!   And look at this amazing, adorable little coffee machine and what it can do!!  These Diamond Necklaces are gorgeous!!   Aaaand...members of our studio audience today are going home wiiiiiith.........this style iron."

Okay, I know it's petty, but I laughed out loud.

• Love 10

Whoopi was so happy about Ray Rice that she was almost glowing and came across as borderline gloating which made me uncomfortable and kinda angry. I'm still feeling this way even though the show was on quite a few hours ago. Andy did seem to give Whoopi the side eye more then a couple of times which she completely deserved. There may not have been many "sparks" on today's show but there were at least a couple WTF moments.

• Love 13

Okay, I made it six minutes - as far as Whoopi saying that if Rice shouldn't be playing in the NFL then NO ONE should, implying the organization is full of thugs and criminals, which it is,  but certainly not every single player.   We have some great examples of good citizenship, on our hometown team (Seattle Seahawks) and I'm sure that every other city does as well.  

I am soooo not a fan of the NFL or professional sports in general, but saying that Rice isn't any worse than every other player is ridiculous.    That's like saying just because I think Whoopi shouldn't be moderating a talk show, then I automatically think no women should be working that gig. 

Clearly, Whoopi Goldberg doesn't know squat about domestic violence, but like parenting that doesn't stop her from spewing crap.   I don't know alot about it myself but I do have a friend who is a director at at DV shelter and she assures me that men don't ever start off by just clocking their girlfriends out cold the first time.  It's an escalation.  For example, Rice is twice the size of his wife - so I wonder if Whoopi thinks it's ever okay for an adult to hit a child if they feel provoked.  Oh wait....

Whoops, look what happened, I'm inured to Whoopi's awfulness, I just expect it so it flies right past me; now it has to be especially egregious for me to notice.

That's probably the best way to approach the ridiculousness that she exhibits daily.  I found Rosie P talking about "respecting their marriage" equally ludicrous as well. She seems to be trying to ride the fence alot:  "I don't think men should ever hit women, but...."    Thank you to RO for pointing out another good HBO doc.  Like her, I love a well done documentary. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 15

He [Cohen] certainly seemed to have a WTF?? look on his face pretty much whenever she was speaking.

I flove Andy Cohen.  Maybe he wasn't a big Movie Stah like her highness Whoopi  but the man was a Vice President at Bravo for many years.  I've read his books (not the latest one) and one thing I adore about Andy is he really isn't impressed by celebrity.  Talent, yes, celebrity, not so much.   Sorry Whoop. 

• Love 9

I would bet good money that Whoopi is clueless about Ray Rice's football skills. From what I've heard, he was a third rate running back, had a bad season and after sitting out this long doesn't stand a good chance of being picked up by another team notwithstanding the video. Running back's careers are notoriously short. For her to act as the authority here is ridiculous. As in most situations when she adopts that "this is how it is" attitude. 

• Love 10
Whoopi was Just letting us know that, while he may have messed up by knocking out his girlfriend the hell out, he is a good guy

Yeah - look at all the women in the world he DIDN'T hit!   And all the times his girlfriend pissed him off and all he did was yell!   He only hit her that ONE TIME!   Oh yeah, one time in front of a video camera - but that's what matters, right?  

Whoopi needs to understand that there are plenty of men who have hit a woman like that who end up with a much more severe penalty than Ray Rice got - because they aren't rich famous athletes.  Being good at football  should not mean that you can get away with violence off the field. 

(even though often times being a good football player means you're good at knocking people down) 

• Love 10

[hand up]

Here is the thing though.  Andy and Whoopi are pretty good friends.  She is the go to girl for your mary jane needs.  I am reading his book and she is mentioned all the time.....along with weed.  I am at the point in the book where he is gushing about the vap pen she gave him and how now he notices all the celebs using the same one.  Link here.  Whoopi just grinds my beans when she talks like that concerning domestic abuse, child abuse etc.  Maybe she is just high all the time.

• Love 10

Hi friends! I really can't take Whoopi any longer. This is a great forum and I will check back from time to time, but for all the reasons expressed by earlier posters, I'll not tune in to the show any longer. Why fill your day with a loud-mouth, has-been that clearly doesn't respect the viewers?

• Love 6

Just finished watching the show & couldn't help but think, while Whoopi was preaching to us about the various subjects, SHE thinks she's the reincarnation of Maya Angelou.  I finally got sick of listening to her & f/f'd through the parts where her lips were flapping.

ETA:  Complete with the flowing (f'g) robes!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 9

So if I kill someone, if I've never been in trouble before, it's all good?  Don't hit anybody because you don't know if they're having a bad day?  Please.  Clearly the Rices have a volatile relationship, if she admits to getting physical with him.  However, the man usually has the physical advantage (and definitely does here) and doesn't need to be in fear, so he should keep his damn hands to himself.

The discussion about the President's daughters was sickening too.  I'm Canadian and we don't see our PM's kids in public, so I sympathize with their probable boredom, but Nicole going on and on about how wonderful / special / beautiful / amazing the girls are was ridiculous.  She just seemed to be trying too hard.  It cuts both ways; either they are public figures and open to some level of scrutiny, or they are not and they are never paraded out for photo ops with turkeys.  Of course, I have no stake in this, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

• Love 3

Andy and Whoopi are pretty good friends.

I don't doubt that.  He still looked taken aback (who wouldn't?) at the horrific nonsense she was spewing regarding abuse, among other things.  Friends or not, he was sporting a what-the-fuck? look, which is probably what many of us do when she is pontificating.  Maybe it's because of their friendship, and because he's a polite guest, that he didn't challenge it (or he knows it would be futile).  It's possible Andy saw a new side to his good friend today.

I loved Rosie O's comment today that it's not Ferguson.  Well, it is Ferguson, but not just Ferguson.  It's all of us, everywhere.  If the Ferguson community is going to effect change, then we all must work to effect change.  It made me realize that through our silence, we all contributed to the problem.*  If we must endure some inconvenience without complaining (I won't condone violent protests - history proves that the harming of an innocent person is not vindicated through the harming of more innocent people), then that could help to be a small step forward.  Besides loving Rosie O's comment, I also loved that when Whoopi spoke her loud mhms and yeps, designed to stop everyone from speaking so she can speak, Rosie O wasn't having any of it, making sure her very important comment could be heard by speaking more loudly than Whoopi for a change, cutting Whoopi off for a change, and raising her arms so she could make her point heard. 

* Out for dinner on the weekend, normally I just laugh at "fortunes" in fortune cookies and throw them away, but I loved the one I got and I am keeping it.  It said:  No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.

• Love 12

It cuts both ways; either they are public figures and open to some level of scrutiny, or they are not and they are never paraded out for photo ops with turkeys.

I see what you are saying, Litnit, and I know you said to take your thoughts with a grain of salt, but I'd like to weigh in anyway.  Yes, the Canadian Prime Minister's children are rarely seen and never paraded out (I don't even know how many he has, nor their gender, names or ages).  But I have to disagree with what you've said about Malia and Sasha.  In my opinion, it doesn't cut both ways.  Being the children of the President of the United States, they will be seen from time to time and that does not mean they are public figures, and because they are under 18, this means that under no circumstances are they open to any level of scrutiny whatsoever. 

Edited by Dreamboat Annie
  • Love 15

Whoopi was proud of the protesters (me too!) for starting a movement against police inequality towards black people. Then she flaps her know-it-all big mouth about the football player with her damned, stupid nonsense . I love football and will boycott any team that signs him. If there was a whole movement to boycott him to bring attention to domestic violence and inequality towards women, she'd be pissed for ruining his job. She is so full of shit and hypocritical. I agree they must want to keep her for her "peers" to come on the show.

Whoopi's mmm hmms are so annoying. It's like she is deeming the other person's words worthy. Can't someone tell her to stfu already ? So distracting and rude.

Rosie O seemed more up today and not as distant. More of this, please.

• Love 10

So if I kill someone, if I've never been in trouble before, it's all good? 

Well, only if  you might lose a very high paying position.    I laughed when Nicole mentioned Michael Vick not once but twice as examples of the NFL uneven rules and penalties since that was the first 'celebrity' I remember Whoopi defending and insisting he should be allowed to keep his job with the NFL.  Seven years later and not much has changed as far as Whoopi's opinions go. 

And maybe that's why I just don't have any patience for her anymore.  She's already told us what she thinks about everything.  Everything.  Nothing new for me where Whoopi is concerned except there is MORE of it.  It seems to me that she's almost taken over the entire show. 

The discussion about the President's daughters was sickening too.  I'm Canadian and we don't see our PM's kids in public, so I sympathize with their probable boredom, but Nicole going on and on about how wonderful / special / beautiful / amazing the girls are was ridiculous.  She just seemed to be trying too hard.  It cuts both ways; either they are public figures and open to some level of scrutiny, or they are not and they are never paraded out for photo ops with turkeys.  Of course, I have no stake in this, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Litnit, there has been an unwritten rule/code since at least early in the Clinton administration that the minor children of the First Family are off limits.  And the edited FB post we saw on The View was just the tip of it - the full post went on to criticize these girls for the clothes (which were perfectly fine) and their disinterested demeanor.  The "Republican Aide" was actually a Communications Director for a Senator from Tennessee.  She resigned today, but never really apologized to the First Family.  Still, I think the huge backlash against the poster was a  mainstream news story because in this time of rabid partisanship (in the US) most Americans still consider some things off limits and one of those things are children living in the White House. 

That said, if ever an event deserved a teenage eye-rolling (although they did not literally roll their eyes)  it was this one since the Pardoning of the Thanksgiving Turkey is a silly goofball 'ceremony' that every President does although I'm not sure why.  As Nicole said, it is easily the most cringe worthy event on the President's calendar.  In other events where we have seen the First Daughters (Inauguration, campaign, still photos, etc.) I've found them to be perfectly poised and always well dressed, like their mother.  

• Love 13

The turkey pardon is silly....but kind of fun since it is a tradition. AND Obama's comments were corny (and funny) but not to the girls...lol. Or most kids on stage with their Dad. I liked it!

I am so sick of Whoopi.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 11

Just finished watching the show & couldn't help but think, while Whoopi was preaching to us about the various subjects, SHE thinks she's the reincarnation of Maya Angelou.  I finally got sick of listening to her & f/f'd through the parts where her lips were flapping.

ETA:  Complete with the flowing (f'g) robes!!!

I know now, too, why the caged bird went postal.

• Love 12

The discussion about the President's daughters was sickening too.  I'm Canadian and we don't see our PM's kids in public,

I see what you are saying, Litnit, and I know you said to take your thoughts with a grain of salt, but I'd like to weigh in anyway.  Yes, the Canadian Prime Minister's children are rarely seen and never paraded out (I don't even know how many he has, nor their gender, names or ages). 

The PM's kids are never seen in public??? They are seen about as often as the Obama kids - at various ceremonial functions and a few times in real life to show what a 'normal' family he has. He has a son who is 15-16 now and the daughter 12-13 or so. The PM goes to a fair number of hockey games and his son is usually with him. I will agree though that the media in Canada is not nearly as voracious and an appearance is not headline or tabloid news.

And the edited FB post we saw on The View was just the tip of it - the full post went on to criticize these girls for the clothes (which were perfectly fine) and their disinterested demeanor.  The "Republican Aide" was actually a Communications Director for a Senator from Tennessee.  She resigned today, but never really apologized to the First Family.

Comm Director plus former RNC Media Political Manager. She took her shots, on her BOSS's facebook page, not only at Malia and Sasha but at the President and the First Lady too.

"Dear Sasha and Malia, I get you're both in those awful teen years, but you're a part of the First Family, try showing a little class. At least respect the part you play. Then again your mother and father don't respect their positions very much, or the nation for that matter, so I'm guessing you're coming up a little short in the good role model department. Nevertheless, stretch yourself. Rise to the occasion. Act like being in the White House matters to you. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar. And certainly don't make faces during televised public events."

I know who's the one that doesn't have any class! Thing is, this is far from the worst of what many on the right wing say about the Obamas. You don't want to read comments on any article about them without having brain bleach handy because the bile and the viciousness will make most normal people sick. I'm glad it was brought up on the View though so that people who don't do much surfing on the internet can see and perhaps realize how much dignity the Obamas have brought to the WH in spite of how they're treated by so many.

• Love 18

I went to high school with Elizabeth Lauten. We have mutual Facebook friends in common. From those mutual friends posts, no one is surprised by her comments. The majority or from what I can tell at least the people who are vocal about her putting her foot in her mouth are having a good laugh about her downfall. I do have to say it's a bit odd seeing someone you 'knew' in the news for something like this though. 

• Love 13

The Elizabeth Lauten story cracks me up, just because of the irony that she was a communications director but then was so brain dead with that comment.  Not to sound like Rosie Perez or anything, but that is a negative side of social media, where things can snowball to the point where she is probably being overwhelmed with negative feedback and backlash, with some probably going too far.  I'd love to be her FB friend and see everything go down, but it looks like she turned everything private and probably is stopping people from commenting.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 6

The Elizabeth Lauten story cracks me up, just because of the irony that she was a communications director but then was so brain dead with that comment.

Kinda makes me wonder how she even got that job in the first place.  Did she honestly think her comments wouldn't produce a firestorm of controversy?  Or hell maybe that was her intent.  This whole thing has made her famous.  She will probably come out of this better off than she was.  I'm sure Fox News is already trying to find a spot for her.  Wouldn't be surprised at all if Elisabeth Hasselbeck called to support her Republican sister.

• Love 9

Did you see her apology??  what a hoot

"I reacted to an article and quickly judged the two young ladies in a way that I would never have wanted to be judged myself as a teenager, After many hours of prayer, talking to my parents and re-reading my words online, I can see more clearly how hurtful my words were. Please know that these judgmental feelings truly have no place in my heart."

"Furthermore, I'd like to apologize to all of those who I have hurt and offended with my words, and pledge to learn and grow (and I assure you I have) from this experience."

It sure is a good thing that God let her know that she was rude and hurtful..... I bet her parents were so proud

• Love 11

It sure is a good thing that God let her know that she was rude and hurtful..... I bet her parents were so proud

I guess we are lucky she didn't use the excuse "the devil made me do it".  But this woman isn't stupid.  She knows bringing God into her "apology" will make her the new darling of the Christian Right. 

• Love 11

Wait and see. Elizabeth Lauten will somehow be the victim in all this.  Fox News will have her on and she will cry about how if people really knew her they would understand she meant no disrespect blah blah blah.  She will be yet another example of someone being a mean vicious person and being rewarded for it.  Her and Hasselbeck will get along great.

• Love 7

As much as Mario Cantone annoys me, I watched because Rosie P. was gone today. I liked the girl that was there instead of her today. Wish they would replace Rosie P. but that won't happen.

Why so many guest co-hosts??

• Love 3

Wow, let's throw off Rosie P and bring in Alicia Menendez b/c that girl is smart and articulate and can seem to hold her own here.

The entire panel seemed to get along quite well today, a good meshing and it was funny that nobody seemed to bring up or miss Rosie P.  

I loved Whoopi's wtf side-eye look at Nicole when she brought up Jerry Maguire and the first-class separation on the planes, it was really ridiculous, and then Nicole wouldn't let Rosie get her point across in regards to the Virgin Airlines first-class lounge.

Well it must be a day ending in "y" b/c we are getting Whoopi's valley-girl accent, and the lifting her sagging boobs off the floor to toss over her shoulder.  I couldn't figure out why Whoopi needed to bring up the fact that she was and EGOT winner in regards to the story of actress looking dowdy to win awards, it had nothing to add to the discussion other than she wanted to do so.

Jesus, that wrap up of the Lithgow/Close segment was horrible, what the hell was Whoopi saying?  Why the hell was she scared of a prop knife in a glass case?

Seriously?  They are having an Oscar winner shill products?  

Why so many guest co-hosts??

My guess would be they are trying to find someone to bring in while Rosie P is out next year doing her play.  My hope would be they want to shake up the panel and trying to find a replacement for Rosie P.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 2

Gotta say after the initial observation that Rosie P wasn't there, I didn't miss her.  And I don't even dislike her, or at least I didn't think I did.   The replacement girl was pretty quiet so I don't have much of an opinion of her.  I know I could Google, but did they even say *what she does* or *who she is*.  I did miss the very beginning, so I may have missed it.

I guess she thinks it is funny, but I really dislike the Valley Girl accent.  And why does Whoopi shave her head. Maybe she needs to look into something different to do with her hair, as it is obviously not working for her these days, since she keeps mentioning it.

Liked the Glenn Close / John Lithrow segment, though it was an awkward wrap up. 

And, seriously, Jennifer Hudson via video.  That was just really odd.  All I could focus on was her head coming out of the View pillar. 

Edited by buffynut
  • Love 2

And why does Whoopi shave her head. Maybe she needs to look into something different to do with her hair, as it is obviously not working for her these days, since she keeps mentioning it.

I thought I had heard or read that the View wouldn't let her change her hairstyle, which I took to mean that she needs to have her dreads. I just figured that she shaved part of her head because she felt that the dreads were all too heavy or made her too hot in the summer time or something.

• Love 2

The Elizabeth Lauten story cracks me up, just because of the irony that she was a communications director but then was so brain dead with that comment.  

It cracks me up because the girls were not rolling their eyes at an important function, but at the eye-rolling event that is the PARDON of one thanksgiving turkey, meaning that the one turkey won't be killed, but all the others will be killed and eaten.  What is the point?   

Maybe the Obama girls were reminded of the famous sarah palin video where she is making a whole big speech, pardoning the chosen turkey, while in the background, other turkeys are being fed into the turkey-killing machine headfirst.  Any future turkey-pardoning, anywhere, will be forever tainted by that memory.  

The backgrounds on the View set are making me dizzy.  The various camera angles almost gives the impression that each host is in a different room.  When they're all on camera, we get the logo in the background.  Then, it cuts away to another camera where there are shelves behind the host.  I guess the backgrounds are arranged in a curve, but the effect is weird, the way it keeps changing.  

anything is better than the previous collage of photos, though. 

• Love 7

The rant by Mario Cantone was a hoot that really cracked me up..... I dont know why... he is a complete ass... but he always makes me laugh!!

The Guest host.... didnt catch her name was great when she asked Whoopi if people making minimum wage are playing the smallest violin because rich people have to pay taxes.... then Whoopi started whining about how she is rich because she worked for every dime.... sorry old lady... investments are not work.

Then she says half of her income is spent to make other people's lives better... more bullshit from a weak actress

• Love 9