Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/01/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Per the GJ testimony of MB's best friend who he was staying with at the home of the best friend's sister at the time of his death: during their 4-year friendship all through high school MB had never lived with his mother or his father. He bounced between his two grandmothers while attending three high schools. The grandmother he was most recently staying with was hospitalized following an argument with MB and he was not allowed in her apartment during her absence to gather clothing or other personal items. He wasn't able to stay with his other grandmother during that time as they were on the outs because she "didn't believe" in him. This is all according to the best friend's testimony. To me, it doesn't paint a picture of family closeness; I think MB was a victim long before the day he died. Main Stream Media avoids thse details like the plague now, which they will have difficulty doing if there is a civil suit because the background will be pertinent to the case.

Interesting & amazing, if true!!

Main Stream Media avoids thse details like the plague now, which they will have difficulty doing if there is a civil suit because the background will be pertinent to the case.

You can be sure that quite a number of media outlets would be broadcasting this very loudly and often if this was so. And no, his background isn't pertinent to the case. Michael Brown is not on trial.

Darren Wilson's troubled background might be pertinent though since he's the defendant. Wonder why the media never talks about his family which is a far more juicy story than Michael's. But I hope overall none of it is mentioned because neither one is to blame for the family they were born into and I especially don't understand why Mike Brown is being smeared. He's dead. Let him rest in peace.

• Love 8

And no, his background isn't pertinent to the case. Michael Brown is not on trial.

If Michael Brown's mother sued the officer, it would be a civil action seeking monetary damages for the wrongful death of her son. In those suits, the kind of relationship that the mother had with the deceased is relevant to the amount of damages.

If a son contributed to his mother's support &/or was likely to do so in future (e.g., a medical student with high earning potential), then his death deprived her of that current & future income.  And the death of a son is assumed to be emotionally devastating, which is a basis for monetary damages without regard to whether the loss also had a financial aspect.

However, if the son was unemployed & lacked good prospects, then his death didn't affect the mother's finances.  And if he hadn't lived with his mother for years & had a strained relationship with their family, it could be argued that the mother's emotional loss might not be great enough to support a large monetary award.

In wrongful death cases, the plaintiff's job is to portray the deceased as an outstanding breadwinner & devoted family man -- the defendant's job is to poke all possible holes in that image.

• Love 4

Just caught up on a week's worth of shows and had just a couple comments. First, these were enjoyable shows for the most part. It seems like they're relaxing a bit and there was even some teasing of each other. I agree some of it may be because Rosie P wasn't there, but even on the day she was there, Whoopi teased her about 'writing a scheck' and when she got it she responded pretty well. It was funny. I didn't notice Whoopi doing the "uh huh, um hmm, yes" stuff that she has been doing - not as much anyway - and everyone seemed to be contributing more to the discussions. 

I do agree with others that Rosie P, much as I think she's fine, does somehow slow things down or stop a conversation cold. Not sure why.

And regarding the discussion of Michael Brown's stepdad inciting a riot. I'm in the midwest and the shows are aired live here - Whoopi introduced the segment by calling the man in question Michael Brown's stepfather. She distinctly says the word. But for the rest of the conversation it's as though they're speaking of MB's parents (mom and dad) not just because they say 'parent' but because they're referencing behavior that has been more the hall mark of his mom and bio-dad. The calls for peaceful protest, the ways in which they have tried to calm things down, etc. So if you missed that one brief mention of the word 'stepfather' it sounds like they're talking about MB's bio-dad.

• Love 3