Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/01/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

My son once was grossly overweight and what finally got him to lose weight was his inability to breathe properly because the fat was cutting off his air passage in his throat.

Another individual, of normal weight may very well have survived the chokehold...........ducking all the negative comments this will stir up...............

The illegal choke hold? OK.

Don't duck you obviously were trying to make a point. I get what you are implying. So if the victim had been thinner no harm no foul?

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 6

Did you know that Nicole has a two and a half year old child? I know this because she brings it up at least twice a show.

But the thing is, she's been saying that since September so if you want to be picky (and I do!), he should be a 2 and 3/4 year old by now, right?  Right?

• Love 6

Listening to Nicolle's nightmare night story, I wondered to myself why it sounded so funny and natural whereas Bitsy's similar stories always sounded like they were invented for her by somebody else.  Was it the photographic evidence?

I don't know... I thought it was suspicious that after Nicolle's story, she hocked some sleeping product at the end (unless I'm remembering wrong). At least, if her story was manufactured, she actually pre-prepared at home the night before and acted very well. More than Hasselbeck would've have put into it.

I enjoyed Rosie P knocking down Whoopi's previous point on another day about police wearing cameras being the "solution" for the problems. I believe both this and the Ferguson story (and the 12 year-old with the toy gun) are absolutely race-related, but more terrifying is the ego the majority of police officers have. Cameras and witnesses make zero difference. They think they have the right to do anything they want without answering for it, which is obviously true since not even a slap on the wrist for either of the officers in these cases. I mean, the four white men on that one black guy in the video who wasn't even struggling looked like a gang with a different name. I could understand if the officer had held him down until they got the cuffs on, but there was no excuse for a person dying that way. And with three other men behind him who didn't do anything to stop it, they're all cowards. Disgusting. I trust the police less than I do politicians, and this is just another reason.

I think Cyndi Lauper is a real sweetheart, but her music seems drug-induced. It made me laugh at least, which might be what she was going for?

Nancy Grace has always bothered me. Those overdramatic and emotional outbursts from her or someone like Judge Judy irritate me to no end because it's just unprofessional (and in a judge's case--an abuse of power, imo). That said, I liked her a little bit more after the George Zimmerman case because, while so many other white people on TV were going on and on about how Trayvon was a "thug," she treated him as the victim the same as with all the other children's stories she covers to the point she was arguing with a lot of others on her show about it. I think her heart's in the right place, if nothing else.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 8

My son once was grossly overweight and what finally got him to lose weight was his inability to breathe properly because the fat was cutting off his air passage in his throat.

Another individual, of normal weight may very well have survived the chokehold...........ducking all the negative comments this will stir up...............

If a person is not overweight... if they are laid on their chest with their hands behind their back they will have trouble breathing.... try it... lay on the floor with your hands behind your back (unrestrained) and count to 10 and try to take a deep breath..... now imagine someone sitting on top of you.... or 4 someones

• Love 16

If a person is not overweight... if they are laid on their chest with their hands behind their back they will have trouble breathing.... try it... lay on the floor with your hands behind your back (unrestrained) and count to 10 and try to take a deep breath..... now imagine someone sitting on top of you.... or 4 someones

Exactly!!!

• Love 6

Did you know that Nicole has a two and a half year old child? I know this because she brings it up at least twice a show.

She's also a Republican.  If The View didn't come on so early in the day it would be kind of fun to make a drinking game out of every time she states those two facts.

• Love 3

She's also a Republican.  If The View didn't come on so early in the day it would be kind of fun to make a drinking game out of every time she states those two facts.

Oh, it would be fun any day!  No matter the time. ;-)

• Love 4

Along with the constant references to her two and a half year old and identifying as the lone Republican, Nicolle often uses superlatives in a weird way. For ex. today she referred to the protesters as "magnificent." (H/T KW at Rosie's blog) Granted she's ten times better than Bitsy at this job. We're not seeing the rehearsed talking points that Bitsy regurgitated after her before the show meetings with Geddie. Nicolle's more subtle.  She's a much more strident partisan on Morning Joe. 

• Love 3

And she never says his name. Does she?   

OMG --- It  is so funny that you brought this up because just the other day, I found myself googling to find out what the heck her kid's name was because even though she brings him into the conversation often, she has never said his name.  And my OCD finally got the best of me and I had to google!  And by the by, it's Liam. 

** I just read dumbdownus' post below mine and for what it's worth, this isn't a snark on Nicolle for talking about her son.  I was just commenting on the name thing.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 3

Ok folks, everybody take a step back and count to ten.

Really, do it!  Then when you come back be nice to each other.

I heard Nicolle say she was an old mom.  I like Nicolle.  I've only seen her on this show -- I can't stomach any political shows at all anymore (maybe Jon S).  Nicolle is so refreshing after having to tolerate Bitsy for years.  At least Nicolle is a real person who can articulate her own feelings. Bits was never real. She was manufactured by Geddy. 

I like how Nicolle is open to being the new kid on the block but will speak up on important topics.

• Love 9

Why do you think we are getting guest co-hosts even when a regular co-host isn't gone? Do they get paid for appearing if they are 'guest co-hosts" instead of just guests?    I think five people is too many at the table.  RO hardly speaks as it is - especially with Whoopi sucking up all the air in the room and Rosie P.'s lengthy comments.  I wonder who thinks a fifth person is needed?   I did laugh at Whoopi getting all worked up and defensive about it though; it's like,  this is her show dammit and don't be thinking otherwise, lol.   

When RO was talking about her taking her then 12 year old daughter (who looked 17) to the mall and telling the guys who were lasciviously (lol at the "SAT word" comment too)  looking at her, "SHE'S 12!"  I could totally relate.  This Black Friday I took my 14 year old niece (who is 5'8" and looks 24) and her friend to the mall and had the same impulse, which I only stifled because the friend was with us.  But I finally had my chance when a sales clerk was trying to get her to apply for a credit card to get an extra discount.  I said, "SHE'S 14!"  and the poor saleswoman mumbled something about "I couldn't tell" and looked embarrassed.  Ha!

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

Along with the constant references to her two and a half year old and identifying as the lone Republican, Nicolle often uses superlatives in a weird way. For ex. today she referred to the protesters as "magnificent." (H/T KW at Rosie's blog) Granted she's ten times better than Bitsy at this job. We're not seeing the rehearsed talking points that Bitsy regurgitated after her before the show meetings with Geddie. Nicolle's more subtle.  She's a much more strident partisan on Morning Joe. 

She mumbles her compliments...... they started talking about Stephen King....... and Nicholle mumbled... I like Steven King except for these comments... and went on with her story

I didn't understand when Whoopie asked Rosie to repeat what she said about letting her great niece pay the bill when she took her to lunch. Whoopie asked Rosie to repeat it, Rosie did and everyone laughed. What?

I had to listen to this exchange several times to get what they were laughing about.   Rosie P pronounced it "Pay the SHECK" , and it took Whoopi a couple of times to get what she meant, then Whoopi had her say it a couple more times, just for laughs.   It was funny.  

• Love 2

Are you sure that's what you heard shok?  I already had heard/seen the story so on the news so I thought I might have just missed the mistake.  But after reading your post I rewatched it on  my West Coast  dvr version and not only does Whoopi introduce the story saying stepfather, I noticed she makes a point to say STEP-father,  in way which makes me think it was fixed for the West Coast airing maybe? 

But if you are talking about RO and the others calling Michael Brown's stepfather a parent, then I don't think that's inaccurate.  I'm a stepparent myself and I don't think the pain of losing a child would be any less because of the word step.  When RO said she thought he should be forgiven because she can't imagine what that moment was like for the parents, I never felt like she was referring to anyone but Michael Brown's Mother, Father, Stepfather, (and stepmother if there is one, I don't know)  

I'm late with this because I haven't been on my computer for a bit but yes, I'm sure that's what they said because I was jolted by how Whoopi introduced the subject and kept waiting for someone, anyone, to correct her mistake. Instead they all talked gingerly about it and even mentioned that Michael's mother and father had traveled overseas recently to speak about inequality and injustice. Perhaps they did correct a later version of the show. My main beef is that (my version of) the story maligns Mike's dad who has been very public and has worked very hard to keep the peace and keep things calm and I felt it was unfair to state he was under investigation by the police.

As for stepparents being included in conversations about parents, I agree that generally they should be but there are also many situations where the children are grown up and a parent remarries but the new spouse really has had nothing to do with the rearing of the child. Technically, they're a step-parent but really they are the mother's husband or father's wife moreso than the child's parent. And to be sure they can become a much loved part of someone's family.

I don't know the background of the Brown family and how long this guy may have been a part of Michael's (too short) life but he wasn't married to Mike's mother which is why more often he was/is referred to as her partner. Michael's dad also has a new family and a toddler daughter who is seen in several of the pictures of Michael which have been published.

• Love 7

I'm late with this because I haven't been on my computer for a bit but yes, I'm sure that's what they said because I was jolted by how Whoopi introduced the subject and kept waiting for someone, anyone, to correct her mistake. Instead they all talked gingerly about it and even mentioned that Michael's mother and father had traveled overseas recently to speak about inequality and injustice. Perhaps they did correct a later version of the show. My main beef is that (my version of) the story maligns Mike's dad who has been very public and has worked very hard to keep the peace and keep things calm and I felt it was unfair to state he was under investigation by the police.

Ahhh, so Whoopi did screw up the live show!  If you are looking for it it's easy to tell they had her redo the intro and then re-edited the conversation for the west coast airing.  I suspected as much after your post.  And  wouldn't you think Whoopi would at least announce the error on the next show (Thursday) and apologize?  I agree that's a pretty big mistake to make in the first place but then to  pretend like it never happened is even worse.

• Love 6

The funny thing is, I'm on the west coast. :) Interesting that I must get an earlier version. I wonder if that's how it always is.

That is weird shok, I  watch/record in the Seattle market at 10:00 am Pacific Time.  How about you? 

Edited by Cosmocrush

Weird indeed. I get it at 10:00 too from our feed of a Seattle station. It's also on at the same time on CTV, a Canadian channel but for some reason I always go to ABC. Although, thinking about it as I type, I'm probably actually getting the Canadian feed on ABC. Often, if  shows are on both the American and Canadian channels at the same time, they will preempt the American feed so that they can air Canadian commercials. That must be what happened. Who knows? It's all very strange. :)

I don't know the background of the Brown family and how long this guy may have been a part of Michael's (too short) life but he wasn't married to Mike's mother which is why more often he was/is referred to as her partner. Michael's dad also has a new family and a toddler daughter who is seen in several of the pictures of Michael which have been published.

Just by way of an FYI, the mother stated she and her partner have been together four years and he loves Michael very much, not as much as she does, but still. Not a direct quote, but I thought it was kind of cute. Stepparenting -- one of the toughest jobs in the world.
  • Love 4

Nancy Grace has always bothered me. Those overdramatic and emotional outbursts from her or someone like Judge Judy irritate me to no end because it's just unprofessional (and in a judge's case--an abuse of power, imo). That said, I liked her a little bit more after the George Zimmerman case because, while so many other white people on TV were going on and on about how Trayvon was a "thug," she treated him as the victim the same as with all the other children's stories she covers to the point she was arguing with a lot of others on her show about it. I think her heart's in the right place, if nothing else.

I agree, Nancy Grace's histrionics make her unwatchable which is unfortunate because she actually does important work. The thugification of Trayvon Martin was disgusting. I understand why some people might not want to view Mike Brown favorably thanks to the convenience store video, but he was going to get the thug treatment with or without that video, just by virtue of his skin color, just like Trayvon. I wish "thug" would be stricken from the books; by now everyone knows it's nothing but a stand-in for the N word. Edited by Milk-Eyed Mender
  • Love 16
I suspected as much after your post.  And  wouldn't you think Whoopi would at least announce the error on the next show (Thursday) and apologize?

Cosmocrush...I hope you're still in the Witness Protection Program and your online identity cannot be traced.  I'm sure the moment you hit "Reply," you knew that Whoopi and her people would NOT be happy that you even hinted she made an error.  The word "apologize" is going to bring out the troops.  Wish I prayed--you deserve mine.

• Love 10

I happened to catch Nicolle on today's show say that she has stopped using twitter. She said that she was reading about how nice her hair was and not paying attention to her husband and son so she stopped with the twitter cold turkey.

I remember someone wanted to know what kind of styling products she used so RogerFromOhio and I tweeted her and asked. I wonder if we scared her away Roger? It's so funny !

• Love 8

Ha!  That was me and Cosmocrush totally crushing on her hair and obsessing about what magical hairspray she used to make it so dreamy, lol.  And you guys took one for the team and tweeted her for us.  I missed today's show (dumb job) so thanks for sharing!  That is too funny!  I am going to chuckle about this all night. :)

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 4

So Whoopi has no intention of addressing (on the show) Cosby's thanks for her support. That sounds kinda wimpy to me. Not to pile on but she really has no business doing any of the food segments. She makes it hard for the guest to get his/her point across.

• Love 5

That food segment was a breath of fresh air. Not perfect but it was nice to watch a food segment without you-know-who pawing all the food and shoving it into her mouth while dancing and singing to music no one can hear.

• Love 9

Cosmocrush...I hope you're still in the Witness Protection Program and your online identity cannot be traced.  I'm sure the moment you hit "Reply," you knew that Whoopi and her people would NOT be happy that you even hinted she made an error.  The word "apologize" is going to bring out the troops.  Wish I prayed--you deserve mine.

Lol Former Nun!  Haven't you heard, Whoopi doesn't care what the viewers think.  She only cares that the check cashes. 

I happened to catch Nicolle on today's show say that she has stopped using twitter. She said that she was reading about how nice her hair was and not paying attention to her husband and son so she stopped with the twitter cold turkey.

I remember someone wanted to know what kind of styling products she used so RogerFromOhio and I tweeted her and asked. I wonder if we scared her away Roger? It's so funny !

Ha!  That was me and Cosmocrush totally crushing on her hair and obsessing about what magical hairspray she used to make it so dreamy, lol.  And you guys took one for the team and tweeted her for us.  I missed today's show (dumb job) so thanks for sharing!  That is too funny!  I am going to chuckle about this all night. :)

That's hilarious!   I wasn't in the mood to listen to Whoopi blather on today but I might have to watch to catch Nicolle's comment.   And we still don't know the name of the hairspray, lol. 

• Love 6

Cosmocrush:  "That's hilarious!   I wasn't in the mood to listen to Whoopi blather on today but I might have to watch to catch Nicolle's comment.   And we still don't know the name of the hairspray, lol."

I was kind of depending on you guys to find out because I'm desperate for a better hairspray!!!

• Love 4

Did you guys know that Nicole is an author?  Just like her bringing up her being a mother she likes to bring up she is an author as well.  I do have to say the guest co-host has my vote for the position of the "young-one" on the panel if the decide they need a young co-host.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 2

I'm enjoying the shows this week. Everyone seems to be having a good time and speaking from the heart whether you like it or not.

The social media discussion today was interesting. Reading strangers' comments about yourself must be a real trip and emotionally challenging. Most of the people that try to contact you are either really fans or really haters so you get opposing comments. I thought it was honest and frank of Nicole and Whoopie to say they no longer read them. I'd probably do the same if I were in the public eye (not gonna happen!) to maintain some emotional balance. But I sure would ask my handlers and PR people to keep tabs on social media comments about myself and let me know of anything significant is afoot. I would bet the two Rosie's are more active reading their online stuff - heck, Rosie O invites it on her blog via Ask Ro so she probably gets a continual stream of both positive and vitriolic hate stuff...not sure it is healthy to wade through all the comments from strangers/fans/haters.

Edited to add I had absolutely no idea who today's young guest host is, but I was really impressed with her, even tho I can,t recall her name.

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 4

Did you guys know that Nicole is an author?  Just like her bringing up her being a mother she likes to bring up she is an author as well.  I do have to say the guest co-host has my vote for the position of the "young-one" on the panel if the decide they need a young co-host.

For some reason I don't mind when Nicolle talks about working in the White House or publishing a couple books, or even that she's the mother of a toddler. Probably it's because those are unique resume traits at a table full of old performers with lengthy, familiar show business resumes.   

Hell, as recently as this week Whoopi felt the need to bring up her awards, (without any apparent context) "I'm an EGOT winner."  and hardly a day goes by that she doesn't mention her Movie Stah status in either by having worked with a guest or having done this or that show or mostly being good friends with 'fill in the blank of big celebrity'  - all things we've been hearing about for years.  Last year it was all about Sister Act on Broadway for example - although it didn't annoy me since it was in the shadow of The Year of Barbara and everything else. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8

I thought the guest host was okay but I felt bad for her being a 17 year old teenager at a table of women older than her mother.   Whoopi has grandkids older than her.  I don't want a fifth person but if they needed to replace someone, I'd like to see a smart 20 something or 30 year old professional at the table rather than an actress from The Disney Channel. 

• Love 5

That is way funny Dissy..... our tweets didn't even register with me when she made that comment.... but that was exactly what we were talking about... her hair. Now I feel bad because we made her quit twitter  hahahahahhaha Then again.... she never did answer  hahahhaa

I know what you are saying CathInAZ about the social media... but I think I'd be one of those people that interacted with my haters..... I can say that because I'm not gonna get famous unless there is a freak accident or something. I get a lot of reaction by RWNJ and those gun nuts.... it can be a hoot sometimes

• Love 3

"Thug" is a perfectly good descriptive word that I've heard used since the 50s and has nothing to do with skin color. It has long been used to describe someone who has little respect for rules and authority, enjoys acting out in an intimidating manner, and (gasp!) is no stranger to breaking laws. Some synonyms for thug over time have been: juvenile delinquent, bully, rowdy, ruffian, hooligan. The definition hasn't changed - no matter how fervently a particular generation decides that it has more truly defined the word in a context which is more meaningful (to them). The "word police" crack me up.

• Love 7

I loved the discussion about twitter and how they all react to comments today.  I was touched when Rosie O said Parker defends her via social media when someone attacks his mother.  It reminded me of me reading a discussion board years ago that was set up for my hometown and I read some horrible messages about my mother who was a grade school teacher.  It was from former students and current parents saying how mean and what a horrible teacher she was (she was the no-nosense type and just retired two years ago at 68).  I wanted to attack them online w/every fiber of my being but ended up not b/c I knew it wasn't worth it in the end.  Rosie bringing that up just made me remember that and how children can be protective of their parents.

I hope the executives have taken notice of how much better the show was this week w/o Rosie Perez on it.  The day Rosie P came back it seemed the show went right back the dreck and long and tiresome affair it has been from the start this season.  Episodes w/o her on it seem as if the hour has flown by, and that's a good thing.  I have no beef w/Rosie P as a person, she seems nice and genuine and does so much for others and their causes; she is a beautiful person through and through, just not a good fit on this show.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 5
Edited to add I had absolutely no idea who today's young guest host is, but I was really impressed with her, even tho I can,t recall her name.

CathinAZ, I remember part of her name: Belle.  I remember it only because I wondered if she was named after a Disney character (and then I had to remember which character...I did).  I did remember, however, the name of her new novel, "Autumn Falls," because I like the various thoughts that come to mind.   Autumn falls?  Where?  How?   Autumn Falls, NY?   Autumn falls after summer.    My mind wanders.

• Love 1

Just by way of an FYI, the mother stated she and her partner have been together four years and he loves Michael very much, not as much as she does, but still. Not a direct quote, but I thought it was kind of cute. Stepparenting -- one of the toughest jobs in the world.

Thanks for the info. If he was around during Mike's teen years from 13 or 14 or so, he definitely qualifies as a stepparent. Those are the toughest years ever.

The thugification of Trayvon Martin was disgusting. I understand why some people might not want to view Mike Brown favorably thanks to the convenience store video, but he was going to get the thug treatment with or without that video, just by virtue of his skin color, just like Trayvon. I wish "thug" would be stricken from the books; by now everyone knows it's nothing but a stand-in for the N word.

You're so right. What pisses me off most of all is that we should be admiring Michael Brown and giving him tons of credit. In one of the toughest neighbourhoods in the United States he graduated from high school and was was set to start college the following week. He had never been arrested, had no record whatsoever even as a juvenile, was close to his parents and family, was involved in his church, his teachers said he was a really good loveable kid - a gentle giant, by all reports he had a lot of friends and they all had good things to say about him. This calling him a thug by certain media outlets and various blogs is disgraceful and makes me very sad.

Edited by shok
  • Love 9

"Thug" is a perfectly good descriptive word that I've heard used since the 50s and has nothing to do with skin color. It has long been used to describe someone who has little respect for rules and authority, enjoys acting out in an intimidating manner, and (gasp!) is no stranger to breaking laws. Some synonyms for thug over time have been: juvenile delinquent, bully, rowdy, ruffian, hooligan. The definition hasn't changed - no matter how fervently a particular generation decides that it has more truly defined the word in a context which is more meaningful (to them). The "word police" crack me up.

And in a perfect world that's exclusively how "thug" would be used from one end of the internet to the other. But (gasp!) it's not.

• Love 12

I agree, Nancy Grace's histrionics make her unwatchable which is unfortunate because she actually does important work. The thugification of Trayvon Martin was disgusting. I understand why some people might not want to view Mike Brown favorably thanks to the convenience store video, but he was going to get the thug treatment with or without that video, just by virtue of his skin color, just like Trayvon. I wish "thug" would be stricken from the books; by now everyone knows it's nothing but a stand-in for the N word.

I wish I could "thumb up" this comment a thousand times. Well said.

That food segment was a breath of fresh air. Not perfect but it was nice to watch a food segment without you-know-who pawing all the food and shoving it into her mouth while dancing and singing to music no one can hear.

OMG, LMAO!!!

Perfect. Absolutely perfect! 

• Love 5

Where does "punk" fit into your interpretation.  That's what I call anyone, of any age, who does not respect people or their property.

• Love 2

Medicine Crow, I've always liked "punk," and would sometimes elevate that to "thug," depending on the behavior.  Usually punks are younger than thugs.  Guess yet another word has been yanked from my vocabulary.  

I hear ya!!!

ETA:  3 words & one was misspelled.  Gawd!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 1

Per the GJ testimony of MB's best friend who he was staying with at the home of the best friend's sister at the time of his death: during their 4-year friendship all through high school MB had never lived with his mother or his father. He bounced between his two grandmothers while attending three high schools. The grandmother he was most recently staying with was hospitalized following an argument with MB and he was not allowed in her apartment during her absence to gather clothing or other personal items. He wasn't able to stay with his other grandmother during that time as they were on the outs because she "didn't believe" in him. This is all according to the best friend's testimony. To me, it doesn't paint a picture of family closeness; I think MB was a victim long before the day he died. Main Stream Media avoids thse details like the plague now, which they will have difficulty doing if there is a civil suit because the background will be pertinent to the case.

• Love 2