Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 12/01/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Did she honestly think her comments wouldn't produce a firestorm of controversy?

Yes. Because she was talking to her compatriots who think the same way as she obviously does.  I'm sure there are tons of fb messages and tweets very similar to hers zipping around the intertoobs.

Did you see her apology??  what a hoot

At least she didn't go with the "IF anyone was offended" phrase.

Did you notice that she didn't apologize to Malia and Sasha or their parents?

• Love 9

Ya know... I gotta say this whole Ray Rice issue is driving me nuts.... the "outrage" against the NFL is all that is being talked about. What group or organization is up in arms against the prosecutor or the justice department in general for giving him a pat on the ass and let him walk away.... what good was the video if it isn't being used as  evidence of a crime..... by both parties?

It all seems to be about the money.... Ray Rice gets off because of his money..... the groups are upset with the NFL looking for lawsuits..... but everyone has ignored the justice system and him walking away with only a sore wallet.

• Love 8

Yes. Because she was talking to her compatriots who think the same way as she obviously does.  I'm sure there are tons of fb messages and tweets very similar to hers zipping around the intertoobs.

I googled Elizabeth Lauten's name and her compatriots are already coming to her defense with blog posts about how she is the wronged party in all this.  I swear if Geddie was still in charge of this show I would bet he would have her on as a guest host in a heartbeat.

• Love 8

It cuts both ways; either they are public figures and open to some level of scrutiny, or they are not and they are never paraded out for photo ops with turkeys.  Of course, I have no stake in this, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

Typically the President's children are seen for some photo ops. They are never interviewed (minor children), and -- long tradition -- they are not criticized. 

• Love 10

Ya know... I gotta say this whole Ray Rice issue is driving me nuts.... the "outrage" against the NFL is all that is being talked about. What group or organization is up in arms against the prosecutor or the justice department in general for giving him a pat on the ass and let him walk away.... what good was the video if it isn't being used as  evidence of a crime..... by both parties?

It all seems to be about the money.... Ray Rice gets off because of his money..... the groups are upset with the NFL looking for lawsuits..... but everyone has ignored the justice system and him walking away with only a sore wallet.

Well the prosecution in Atlantic City would have been dealing with Ray Rice's wife as an uncooperative witness so I can understand why they did a plea bargain. However Rice should have been given much more than the slap on the wrist he got.

The NFL is being raked over the coals because they seemingly ignored the gravity of what of Rice did until that video was released. 

• Love 5

Well the prosecution in Atlantic City would have been dealing with Ray Rice's wife as an uncooperative witness so I can understand why they did a plea bargain. However Rice should have been given much more than the slap on the wrist he got.

The NFL is being raked over the coals because they seemingly ignored the gravity of what of Rice did until that video was released. 

If the NFL waited for all the evidence.... they knew there was more but was not privy to it..... they would have had a harsher punishment..... but they are not allowed to give 2 punishments for the same infraction.

It seems to me that they want the NFL to give a harsher punishment than what the justice department gave.... and Im sorry... I dont mean any disrespect.... but how could anyone "be ok" with a plea bargain when there was a video of the crime..... they did not need a cooperating witness.... they had the tape

• Love 4

Did anyone else think of Whoopi's upcoming reality show for her daughter and her extended family when Mario Cantone went on that rant about people seeking fame signing up to do reality shows about their lives.  Whoopi stayed really quiet when he lobbed that one out there.  So Whoopi has decided that she, being rich and famous, will help her daughter and her family become reality stars so they can make their own money and probably stop sucking at her "droopy old woman teat."

I do agree that if a parent is able to help out their kids they should to a degree.  I think like Rosie O did, giving them a car at high school graduation, is a great gift if the parent/s can afford it.  I think at some point a parent should ease their kids off them financially.  I could completely see a parent w/money telling it like it is to their children, I would say this is my money that I went out and made, now it's your turn to do the same thing if you so wish.  

• Love 8

A lot of cackles today from Niccole, she seemed to keep pace with Whoopie during Hot Topics.  Poor Alicia (a Harvard educated woman) didn't get a chance to really wow us as Whoopie seemed to dominate the conversation (even shut down Mario).  I am not tuning in after several years absence to see The Whoopie G View.

Since the ABC news division has The View maybe they are looking to up the wattage with women like Alicia.  Lisa Ling’s sister Laura is a name in the news to be a guest host too.  After reading the Oct. 30th article in Variety about the auditions for the new  season of  The View, I was surprised to see that RP was not vetted with the other candidates and was a late addition.  Wonder if there is buyer's remorse???

• Love 3

Did anyone else think of Whoopi's upcoming reality show for her daughter and her extended family when Mario Cantone went on that rant about people seeking fame signing up to do reality shows about their lives.  Whoopi stayed really quiet when he lobbed that one out there.  

Ha!   I thought the same thing CMH!

• Love 2

The rant by Mario Cantone was a hoot that really cracked me up..... I dont know why... he is a complete ass... but he always makes me laugh!!

The Guest host.... didnt catch her name was great when she asked Whoopi if people making minimum wage are playing the smallest violin because rich people have to pay taxes.... then Whoopi started whining about how she is rich because she worked for every dime.... sorry old lady... investments are not work.

Then she says half of her income is spent to make other people's lives better... more bullshit from a weak actress

Every time I hear rich entertainers bray about "working hard for every dime" I want to drive a steel-toed work boot right through their pearly dental veneers. In a world where no one works harder and longer than the earth's poorest of the poor, it is such a tacky, smug and frankly sanctimonious thing to say. I swear Little Miss EGOT voted for Reagan.

• Love 22

Every time I hear rich entertainers bray about "working hard for every dime" I want to drive a steel-toed work boot right through their pearly dental veneers. In a world where no one works harder and longer than the earth's poorest of the poor, it is such a tacky, smug and frankly sanctimonious thing to say. I swear Little Miss EGOT voted for Reagan.

Well said!

• Love 8

I swear Little Miss EGOT voted for Reagan.

Well sure, because Reagan didn't tax her swag bags at the award shows.  Her tax rants are old news, but bitching about having to pay taxes on swag she picks up at  award shows was a new one.   A great follow up to the topic of If the 99% Had Any Idea How the 1% Really Live.  Way to go Whoop. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 15

I think Whoopi meant that she pays half of her income in taxes to support others?  I might have mishear but that is what I understood.

My only thought was that she should fire her CPA and tax attorney.  She would be the only 'rich' person in America paying half her income in taxes - if the comment were even true.  Then of course - off topic to self praise about how hard she worked to earn all that loot - as if there aren't millions and millions of people working hard who don't have her talent and luck to succeed BIG.

I too am tired of her and wish she would stop it already.  RO isn't bowing down, but I do feel the other two are way to deferential to her.

I thought the entire Lithgow/Close interview was odd and disjointed.  You have two real pros here, no one needed to try all that hard to get a good interview.  Get Lithgow wound up a bit and he is off and running and usually very funny.

• Love 11

I liked how Lithgow and Close were in the midst of a great discussion of leaving the stage for their children, then the guest-co-host asked some dumb question to Lithgow and instead he went back to the previous topic to finish his thought and ignored the asked question, I loved that.  Like mentioned previously some of these guests are pros at this game and know how to make an interview entertaining and tell stories as well as plug the reason for the visit.  They don't need to be asked a barrage of questions by four or five hosts.

I didn't know that celebrity's started getting taxed for those gift bags.  I remember hearing some of the stuff that they put in those bags here and there and sometimes they amounted to thousands of dollars.  Now I know why you always hear about some celebrities who auction off the bags for charity now, or they have a drawing to give the bag to a fan.

Did I understand now that some shows no longer pay celebrities for their appearances and instead give them gift bags?  I guess either way they would be taxed.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 4

I don't doubt that.  He still looked taken aback (who wouldn't?) at the horrific nonsense she was spewing regarding abuse, among other things.  Friends or not, he was sporting a what-the-fuck? look, which is probably what many of us do when she is pontificating.  Maybe it's because of their friendship, and because he's a polite guest, that he didn't challenge it (or he knows it would be futile).  It's possible Andy saw a new side to his good friend today.

So true!  He needs to be writing another daily journal that turn into another book.  Sigh.  Everyone knows you don't piss off your dealer though.

My "View" is still being interrupted because of a power outage in downtown Detroit!!  How long CAN they talk about it??  I'm finding out -- a looooooooong time!!!

Oh know right?  Detroiter here and the funny thing is it is just the old buildings (no residences) on the old system.  All channels went to the outage at 10:30 and then cut off the view and Wendy!  You can catch Wendy on BET at 1:00 am or midnight or something.

• Love 3

I thought Chris Rock was talking about people like Bill Gates, Queen Of England, Rothschild Family. Not these athletes, and or Hollywood Actors/Actresses. Because as my uncle would say there's a difference between being  rich and being wealthy.

Edited by Southern
  • Love 3

I was surprised to see that RP was not vetted with the other candidates and was a late addition.  Wonder if there is buyer's remorse???

Well, it would be easy to understand the remorse. She just doesn't have the voice for a talk show. Her rambling on and on taking twice as long as it should to make a statement it is difficult to watch. Also since Nicole is well spoken, it makes RP sound even worse.

• Love 5

Well, it would be easy to understand the remorse. She just doesn't have the voice for a talk show. Her rambling on and on taking twice as long as it should to make a statement it is difficult to watch. Also since Nicole is well spoken, it makes RP sound even worse.

I totally get what everyone is saying about RosieP, but I can forgive her because she tries so hard in everything she does.  She seems like a caring, giving & responsible woman who has been plunked in a position waaaaay over her head with respect to speaking skills.  She's a lot smarter & a whole lot more literate than Whoopi, but unfortunately her hesitation together with her accent are stumbling blocks that make her appear unsure of herself.  Sometimes, her voice quivers a little & her body shakes a bit & that's when I want to give her a great big hug & tell her to calm down & take it slow.  JMHO.

• Love 17

I went to high school with Elizabeth Lauten. We have mutual Facebook friends in common. From those mutual friends posts, no one is surprised by her comments. The majority or from what I can tell at least the people who are vocal about her putting her foot in her mouth are having a good laugh about her downfall. I do have to say it's a bit odd seeing someone you 'knew' in the news for something like this though.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about how surreal it can be to see someone you know caught up in a scandal and media firestorm. Long story short, I know a couple who committed a crime that was so wacko and snark-worthy that it got picked up by media outlets from coast to coast and internationally. I kept thinking I can't believe I know these people, but because I know these people, I can totally believe they did this wacko thing, but it's still hilariously surreal that potentially millions of people have now seen and commented on their mugshots and followed their trials. And I knew them when.....heh.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 6

The PM's kids are never seen in public??? They are seen about as often as the Obama kids - at various ceremonial functions and a few times in real life to show what a 'normal' family he has. He has a son who is 15-16 now and the daughter 12-13 or so. The PM goes to a fair number of hockey games and his son is usually with him. I will agree though that the media in Canada is not nearly as voracious and an appearance is not headline or tabloid news.

Thanks shok for the info on the PM's kids.  I honestly didn't know.  But, no one said "never seen in public".  I did say rarely and stand by that.  I disagree that they are seen about as often as the Obama kids.  I don't believe they attend ceremonial functions, that's their dad's job.  Unless it's "take your kids to work day", or their dad is being sworn in, lol.  I know he attends hockey games but I've never heard the announcer mention who he's there with.  I'm sure they appear in public but rarely, and they are never THE story, so I agree with you that their appearance is not any kind of news at all.

I missed the show today.  I have never disliked Rosie P., but I would have wanted to see what the show is like without her there.  Not totally sure, but I don't think she or Nicolle have missed a day yet (they get an "A+" for attendance!).  On the other hand, I'm so glad I missed Whoopi complaining about the taxes she pays, and waxing bullshit about working hard/earning every dime.  I recall an interview on Oprah several years ago with Johnny Depp (who was charmingly nervous about being interviewed - this was after at least the first "Pirates" and he was already a very successful actor - and Oprah served him a glass of wine to relax him and also because he knows wine, loved that!) and she asked him about how hard it was to be an actor, and hard days on the set, etc.  He basically blew them all out of the water when he replied that no, it's not hard work, they are paid a shitload of money for doing what is actually very easy.  He acknowledged that others on the set work hard, but not the actors.  He'd barely had a sip of wine when he said that, and I recall thinking how refreshing it was to hear that, when most of them whine about the hard "work" and long days.

• Love 14

I give Nicole Wallace, aka Cackles,  three cheers for her performance on today's show.  Yikes, I can't believe it either.  But I liked what she said about airliners having a first class being obnoxious. I liked when she pointed out that  the kids in this country are the first generation where the parents do not expect their children to have a better life than they had.  And I really liked that she mentioned that so many people are disgusted by politics these days because NO serious lawmakers/politicians are talking about the huge divide between the have and have nots*.  All things considered, I'd say I have to agree with  Andy Cohen yesterday (Monday) when he told her,in disbelief,  "You sound so reasonable!" 

Of course the conversation never went into why all those things are true - mostly the result of Republican policies  and attitudes over the last 30 years but it doesn't make them any less true. 

Sure, Bitsy set the bar pretty low [on the floor really] on this show for Nicole's position but I'm impressed with how often I find myself enjoying her for now.  The woman is a pro. 

Also, bonus points for agreeing with RO about Madonna.  What?  I've liked Madonna for 30 years - don't judge me, lol. 

*The idea of Two Americas was a John Edwards platform and even back then he was the only presidential contender talking about income disparity.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 11

As a former Whoopi big time supporter, I am now in the corner of letting her go.

RP still seems new to the format. She has her causes and I respect them. I am confused tho' as to why they seem to throw the very first response to the "question of the day" to her. She is generally pretty well spoken, but RO is far more articulate and clever. Heck even Nicolle seems to have a more even keeled approach to topics - excepting Cosby - that conversation needs to be erased from my brain and everything pretty soon. It highlighted the worst of Whoopi's constant and continual forgiveness of any and all infractions of every celebrity in the history of celebrities - ok - she only defends people with some talent (NOT housewives of anywhere or kardashians)

Whoopi drags everything down and intimidates everyone except RO.

I loved both guest hosts today and normally I find Mario irritating -if you find RP's voice hard to hear, how do you tolerate Mario? Probably don't I guess.

I liked the female cohost - gal wasn't intimidated at all - she should be on the panel big time!

• Love 11

Oh, poor celebrities! Now they are taxed for the bags of swag worth thousands of dollars. And Whoopi worked hard for all the money she has. If only you worked hard, you would have lots and lots of money like Whoopi. Just work, people. Of course, then you'll be taxed like Whoopi is taxed--fifty percent!!! I guess Whoopi (in this instance, anyway) believes that everyone has talent that would make them tons of money. If that were true, who would be stars? Who(m?) would we watch on the TV if we were all talented? Shut up, Whoopi. You never make any effing sense. God, she irritates the hell out of me.

• Love 15

We have heard that Whoopi's mother was a great educator. And WG an EGOT. But nothing about her daughter and grandkids....and their education, talents, or jobs.

At least she likes her great grandaughter....and she doesn't normally like kids as she said the other day.

So much for working hard WG. And I undèrstànd why she knows all about buying cars in Calif for teens.

'

'

• Love 8

Is it sad that I kind of wish the late Mike Nichols had asked Whoopi what the hell are u doing on this show and with your career. I really think she respected him enough to have listened and perhaps walked away before becoming more of a joke due to this show.

• Love 8

Whoopi's never ending belly aching about having to pay taxes is soooo fucking annoying. What makes her think she is any better than anyone else?  If she wants to keep more of her money then maybe she should stop supporting her extended family.  I mean since she worked so  hard for every dime she has ever made then shouldn't the rest of her family be expected to do the same?

• Love 17

I thought Chris Rock was talking about people like Bill Gates, Queen Of England, Rothschild Family. Not these athletes, and or Hollywood Actors/Actresses. Because as my uncle would say there's a difference between being  rich and being wealthy.

CR was using his own experiences as a self-identified "rich" actor.  He's been on several shows lately promoting his new film, some interviewers have noted his youthful appearance at age 49, CR responded (and I paraphrase) 'yes, but this is a rich 49, rich is the best lotion'.

• Love 9

The interesting thing about this show is that you learn a lot about the panel when they take off their masks.  I enjoy Whoopie as an actress and Rosie Perez too.  I just don't like their unscripted performance on a daily talk show.  Nicolle is a rational Republican, who knew!  Bitsy gave the GOP, and women, such a poor image during her stint that I held my breath when Nicolle was announced.  As for Rosie O, she fell from grace with many on her own show when she grilled Tom Sellack.. I feel like she is a family member who I don't always agree with but I still love her for her compassion, generosity and spirit.  Something I don't get with Whoopie or RP.

Perhaps the show does need a younger panel, leaving Nicolle on and adding younger contemporaries like Alicia who are not the insanely wealthy entertainers who don't care anymore about the opportunities for the younger generation of this country or excuse their peers for bad behavior.  I was ill listening to Whoopie pontificating about how anybody can make it in this country by working hard like she did.  She seems deliberately blind to the diminishing opportunities for the younger generation to even maintain/obtain a comfortable middle class life, let alone be a multimillionaire.  ABC is not going to get their coveted demographic with the current panel, they need younger blood in someone like a Lisa Ling, but not a Bitsy.

Edited by Dizzy9
  • Love 12

The Whoopi Goldberg Hour does not really allow for the full discussion of the overwhelming inequality of wealth and opportunity that is bedeviling American society presently, though of all people Nicolle tried to address it as a topic.

Sensible RO with the 20k gift of a car to her children as a graduation gift was shut down as well.  And yes, I think that a 20k car from a parent as wealthy as RO is, is a sensible gift.

Old school vernacular would indicate that old money is wealth and new money is rich, the problem now is that the 1% is just the 1% and the middle class is gone.

• Love 13
I was ill listening to Whoopie pontificating about how anybody can make it in this country by working hard like she did.

I wish someone on the panel would explain to Whoopi that many of Whoopi's contemporaries, who worked just as hard and had as much talent as WG, were not as successful as she.

• Love 8

Whoopie as an actress and Rosie Perez too.  I just don't like their unscripted performance on a daily talk show.

I get the impression that Rosie Perez is more scripted than not.  It seems whenever there's a serious topic, she's the one with a blue card to read with the facts (add your own quotation marks to that word if you must) surrounding the issue.  Just like poor Nicolle is the go-to for product placement, RP appears to be the "just casually happens to know the proper names and numbers" host.

• Love 5

The Whoopi Goldberg Hour does not really allow for the full discussion of the overwhelming inequality of wealth and opportunity that is bedeviling American society presently, though of all people Nicolle tried to address it as a topic.

It always seems like the people who are at the top of the income totem pole never want to talk about the inequality of wealth.  I mean why would they?  They have theirs, they don't give a shit about the people who don't.  But when someone like Whoopi, who grew up with a hell of a lot less than she has now wants acts like her being rich somehow makes her better than everyone else it pisses me off.

I

was ill listening to Whoopie pontificating about how anybody can make it in this country by working hard like she did.  She seems deliberately blind to the diminishing opportunities for the younger generation to even maintain/obtain a comfortable middle class life, let alone be a multimillionaire

Too many young people today think they can make it big if they can just get their big break.  Whether it's by playing sports or having a hit song or whatever.  Which is pretty much what happened to Whoopi.  But as far as someone just being able to work hard and they too can end up with a lot of money that's just not a reality.  Assuming someone can afford to go to college and get an education it's no guarantee there will be job waiting for them.  Nowadays if a young person wants to be a millionaire they better have parents who are.

• Love 12

I understand where Nicole was coming from w/her comparison of the haves and the have-nots when she brought up the first-class scenario on airlines, but the fact she thinks she is "one of us" really ticks me off. Let's see how she feels after she banks a few more months/years of the View checks in her account.

• Love 8

Whoopi's never ending belly aching about having to pay taxes is soooo fucking annoying. What makes her think she is any better than anyone else?  If she wants to keep more of her money then maybe she should stop supporting her extended family.  I mean since she worked so  hard for every dime she has ever made then shouldn't the rest of her family be expected to do the same?

Yes, Whoopi has a bunch of money. Nobody LIKES paying taxes, but when rich people bitch about taxes, it just makes us struggling middle class types resent them.

Rosie is sensible about money and gifts. When my son complained that one of his friends got a new car for high school graduation, I just responded that we were helping him pay for a college education instead - and that an education lasts longer than a car. After college, we handed down a car to him when we bought a new one.

• Love 7
When my son complained that one of his friends got a new car for high school graduation, I just responded that we were helping him pay for a college education instead - and that an education lasts longer than a car.

It's all relative.  I didn't complain about my taxes (what good would it do), but in the early 80s my two boys complained when I told them we couldn't afford OP shorts.  At the time they groaned at my suggestion that we could buy "copies" at Mervyn's and I could embroider PO on them.  They could tell other kids that meant "Pissed Off...can't afford OPs."  They hated that idea then...but LOVE telling the story now.  Yep...it's all relative and griping rarely helps.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 11

Having heard RO speak at length about wealth and fame before, I wish she had been given more of a chance to speak yesterday. I did enjoy when she finally cut off the old gasbag Whoopi, who was just embarrassing herself with her ridiculous comments.

Whoopi is just plain out of touch. When discussing so many subjects -- wealth, parenting, domestic violence, sexual assault, the list goes on and on. She's just out of touch, and defensive as hell, so then she goes on and on trying to make her point, as though if we just understood what she meant, we'd agree. Oh we get what you mean, Whoopi.

RO is letting Whoopi show her ass, and Whoopi is obliging at every turn. I hope this all plays out the way it should, with Whoopi's contract not being renewed and RO given the moderator seat.

• Love 22
I was ill listening to Whoopie pontificating about how anybody can make it in this country by working hard like she did.  She seems deliberately blind to the diminishing opportunities for the younger generation to even maintain/obtain a comfortable middle class life....

Kadooz*, Dizzy9!   Whoopi should look to her close family members...even with her immense "help" for years, has her daughter made it yet?

*Ramona RHNY

• Love 13
Whoopi is just plain out of touch. When discussing so many subjects -- wealth, parenting, domestic violence, sexual assault, the list goes on and on. She's just out of touch, and defensive as hell, so then she goes on and on trying to make her point, as though if we just understood what she meant, we'd agree. Oh we get what you mean, Whoopi.

Substitute "Barbara" for the name "Whoopi" in the text above and it still applies!

• Love 6
I liked how Lithgow and Close were in the midst of a great discussion of leaving the stage for their children, then the guest-co-host asked some dumb question to Lithgow and instead he went back to the previous topic to finish his thought and ignored the asked question, I loved that.

...just one more of the problems caused by having a producer able to squawk directions, information, babble into the hosts' earpieces...continually.  Take a cue from David Letterman.  His producer sits at a desk-ish off to the side.  If he needs information quickly, she alerts him.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 5

The panel missed an important point today when talking about segregating students by sex to improve academic performance. Sure, social media and culture play a role in students being more familiar with sexual issues at a younger age, but besides that, girls are in fact going through puberty at much younger ages than in the past, many as young as six to eight years old. Is it due to the foods they consume which have been treated with antibiotics and other environmental factors? Now that would be a good hot topic as long as Whoopi doesn't weigh in.

• Love 3

I really hate the "If you work hard you can have the American dream" bullshit that Whoopi was spewing.  If she can make it, anyone can, and there's no excuses.  Well life is much more complicated than that, and like Rosie said the economy is completely different now.  I've been unemployed for 2 years and trust me, I'm not a complete idiot and I love to work, it's just hard as fuck to be given an opportunity, especially for those of us who graduated college after 2008.

• Love 19

I really hate the "If you work hard you can have the American dream" bullshit that Whoopi was spewing.  If she can make it, anyone can, and there's no excuses.  Well life is much more complicated than that, and like Rosie said the economy is completely different now.  I've been unemployed for 2 years and trust me, I'm not a complete idiot and I love to work, it's just hard as fuck to be given an opportunity, especially for those of us who graduated college after 2008.

It's no so easy for those of us who graduated college before 1980, either! 

But I hear you.  My son graduated this year, with a degree that all the research said would lead to a good job in his field. he had great grades, and a lot of work experience before and  during college.   He found work at a company that recruits recent college graduates to work on an assembly line.  He puts stuff in boxes and puts boxes on a conveyor belt.  His co-workers all have degrees, a few have Masters.   It's demoralizing for people who work hard to get their degrees, and then have jobs that in his words "I could train a monkey to do it, and the monkey would do it better." 

• Love 14

The panel missed an important point today when talking about segregating students by sex to improve academic performance

The whole topic was stupid and off the mark.  The biggest reason that girls should be separated around adolescence isn't about the risk of shenanigans in school, it's about the way that many of them plummet in self esteem and start doubting themselves and really give up easily in STEM subjects.  They do remarkably better when boys aren't around to dominate these topics.  Personally, I think for some girls this extends all the way into college. They do better when they don't have worry about make up and all that stupid stuff that seems to come into play when boys are around either, yes there are still some "mean girls" but it goes way down.

Probably works the same way somewhat for boys, if they aren't distracted by the drama of the girls.  Win-Win.

She's non-stop with it.  It's so freaking out of touch it's ridiculous.  It's also a large part of how the GOP sustains themselves, selling that American Dream and Exceptionalism to the masses who are barely making it paycheck to paycheck or worse.  Meanwhile, social mobility in fucking Britain is less rigid.

eta: @backformore, don't scare me like that!

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 11