Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

@Happyfatchick  It is definitely partially at least the mother's fault. That young man was as much a product of his environment as much as the Duggars are products of their upbringing. His mother clearly taught him that being an addict is no big deal. She probably used drugs in front of him before he was adult. He and his sister had poor role models and maybe even family pressure to be like that. I've known people from environments like that. 

Your daughter-in-law is a strong person to walk from all that shit and break the cycle.  I hope she is okay.

I'd be nervous about COVID. Who knows who the mother and girlfriend have been around? They obviously have no judgement. 

His mother and girlfriend should have called 911 and saved him. I will pray for the whole family.

I lost someone to drugs recently (within the last year.) It helps to remember addiction is a sickness. 

• Love 9

I'm back to feeling normal today after my 2nd dose Wednesday.  Wednesday evening I started running a temp, and it was 101 all day yesterday.  But this morning all I have is a sore arm.  No more temp, no more chills.  So it wasn't too bad at all.  I didn't do anything today, but that was just me being lazy.

• Love 14

@Happyfatchick I'm so sorry about your DILs brother.  That's so sad. And with his mom there too. Addiction sucks. ((((hugs))))

That story about the dogs. Wow. Glad the other dog wasn't seriously hurt. My doxies don't care for other dogs particularly, so I'm always careful around other dogs. 

@ChiCricket I volunteer to kick your husband in the nuts. He should be thanking his lucky stars that you worked so hard to get him an appointment.. 

Edited by QuinnInND
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I'm back to feeling normal today after my 2nd dose Wednesday.  Wednesday evening I started running a temp, and it was 101 all day yesterday.  But this morning all I have is a sore arm.  No more temp, no more chills.  So it wasn't too bad at all.  I didn't do anything today, but that was just me being lazy.

At the grocery store today, I picked up microwavable food to have in the freezer in case I'm out of commission for a couple days when I get the second dose.  I hope I'm not too bad.  

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Oh, Chi. I’m sorry. At some point, you gotta throw up your hands and let him act like an adult and run his own life, no matter how shitty a job he’ll do.

No more appointments. He wants a vaccine, let him figure out how to get it. He knows how to use a phone. 

Can you change that appointment to get the vaccine yourself?

I already had the first shot on Monday...or maybe it was Tuesday, every day feels like the same day now.

Our doctor's office had sent me a link to get an appointment...but his never came (we even have the same doctor.)

When I got mine, I asked why he hasn't gotten an invite since he's 5 years older than me, (and hispanic on top of it.)

They just said it was a random computer pick, and that he might get picked in the next few weeks. But they said it might take another month, so I've been trolling sites to get him one sooner. ( my 3 my daughters have all been trying to get him one too, they know he's depressing me.)

And I'm not doing it for him..I'm doing it for ME..so he can finally get out a little and stop bitching at me for every little thing..all the f'ing time.

He's usually not such a creep (since he stopped drinking years ago) but man oh man did this give me bad  flashbacks. And it just came out of the blue..he hasn't acted like THAT in ages. That's why it was so  incredibly hurtful , and I still want to kick his wrinkly little old man's ass  even hours later.😡 (I'm giving him the old silent treatment, instead..he hates that.)😁

3 hours ago, emma675 said:

ChiCricket, why is he being such an ass about a 52 minute drive? Doesn't he understand how lucky he is to even get an appointment in the first place? And how much time and effort it took you to get him an appointment?? There are millions of people who would kill to drive twice that to get the vaccine. If you don't kick him in the nuts, I will. 

Because he is cheap as heck and whined " it's going to use so much gas to get there" and then " and I'll have to go out there again for the second shot!" and then he whined "AND WHAT ABOUT THE TOLLS??!!"

(Funny thing is that..the transponder is set to get paid from my debit card, and he has never offered me a penny towards it.)

FTR, He has more than enough money , he's not broke in the least.

We're not rich but we can afford THIS, for Pete's sake.🙄

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to kick him in the nuts for me, btw😂

• LOL 4
  • Love 12

HFC, I am really sorry about your DIL brother.  That poor girl, she's been through enough.  Bless her for being a responsible person.  My lovely Aunt Inez used to say people earn the stars in their crown, and she's certainly one of them. 

My daughter's girlfriend was driving to work this morning on a major highway.  Traffic was stopped as there had been an accident on the nearest off  ramp.  Some guy decided this was the perfect opportunity to kill himself, and in his suicidal moment decided to plow right into the back of girlfriend's car.  She is luckily alright except for soft tissue injuries but she's gonna be hella sore for a long time.  She in turn hit the poor lady in front of her who was on her way to a funeral, and that lady hit the person in front of her.  My daughter, being her mother's daughter, already has all the paperwork and police report and called both insurance companies and will not rest until she gets this sorted.  The suicide guy is in sad shape, I mean besides being in bad condition physically, he's obviously got some mental problems.  She's going to make one of the carriers pay for a rental until they take a look at girlfriend's car and total it which they probably will do.  One of the carriers said something about they wanted to speak to him first before they went forward with anything, IE paying for a rental and she's prepping herself to wage full assault to get what she wants.  I kind of feel sorry for the insurance carriers involved because she's a straight up bitch.  

ChiCricket - I feel your pain.  I'm living with a crabby asshole myself.  Tell him he's a crabby asshole to his face, and tell him you have moved heaven and earth to get this shot for him, and if he doesn't get it he's not only stupid but a fool as well.  I swear that's the only way I can get thru to mine is actually point out what a jackass he's being.  I'd love to get a Covid shot right now but I'm at the bottom of the list. 

• Love 4

@ChiCricket, generally I’m more of a shin kicker (less risk of falling over), so if you guys have the crotch kicks covered, I’ll follow up with that, okay?

Some days I think we have all lost our minds. Yesterday Mr. Wiser just would NOT LET SOMETHING GO...packing up some stuff to send to his daughter...and even though he said there wasn’t any hurry, he also just kept harping on it. I finally stomped over to the garage, sorted it, threw it all in bags that can be handed over to UPS to pack, as we had agreed...stomped back in, announced through clenched teeth that it was ready to go...at which point he said he probably wouldn’t be getting around to it for a couple of weeks. WTF?????

You have my complete sympathy.

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

HFC, I am really sorry about your DIL brother.  That poor girl, she's been through enough.  Bless her for being a responsible person.  My lovely Aunt Inez used to say people earn the stars in their crown, and she's certainly one of them. 

My daughter's girlfriend was driving to work this morning on a major highway.  Traffic was stopped as there had been an accident on the nearest off  ramp.  Some guy decided this was the perfect opportunity to kill himself, and in his suicidal moment decided to plow right into the back of girlfriend's car.  She is luckily alright except for soft tissue injuries but she's gonna be hella sore for a long time.  She in turn hit the poor lady in front of her who was on her way to a funeral, and that lady hit the person in front of her.  My daughter, being her mother's daughter, already has all the paperwork and police report and called both insurance companies and will not rest until she gets this sorted.  The suicide guy is in sad shape, I mean besides being in bad condition physically, he's obviously got some mental problems.  She's going to make one of the carriers pay for a rental until they take a look at girlfriend's car and total it which they probably will do.  One of the carriers said something about they wanted to speak to him first before they went forward with anything, IE paying for a rental and she's prepping herself to wage full assault to get what she wants.  I kind of feel sorry for the insurance carriers involved because she's a straight up bitch.  

ChiCricket - I feel your pain.  I'm living with a crabby asshole myself.  Tell him he's a crabby asshole to his face, and tell him you have moved heaven and earth to get this shot for him, and if he doesn't get it he's not only stupid but a fool as well.  I swear that's the only way I can get thru to mine is actually point out what a jackass he's being.  I'd love to get a Covid shot right now but I'm at the bottom of the list. 

The guy who tried to commit suicide was the boyfriend or just a random stranger?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I've actually got a pair.  The little guy is Scout and his big sister is named Maggie.  Scout is a Jack Russell mix and Mags is Rottweiler/Bernese Mountain Dog.  Quite a pair.

Dave Barry used to call a pair like that "a real dog and a small, emergency back-up dog" 🤣

• LOL 14
19 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Random dude.  

Southern friends - watch your gutters.  Falling ice is dangerous.

This. Break all the icicles off the house. At least over the doors and anywhere someone would walk under them. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Zella said:

People around here are posting pictures of their giant icicles and pondering how to use them to get away with murder. . . . 

I swear you and I must be related. I read that about the icicles and immediately tried to figure out how they could be used as a murder weapon...my conclusion? Too slippery. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Oldernowiser said:

I swear you and I must be related. I read that about the icicles and immediately tried to figure out how they could be used as a murder weapon...my conclusion? Too slippery. 

Great minds think alike (and turn to murder! LOL) 😉

We're all really fixated on the whole murder weapon melting and, thus, destroying evidence part and have ignored the other logistics. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Zella said:

Great minds think alike (and turn to murder! LOL) 😉

We're all really fixated on the whole murder weapon melting and, thus, destroying evidence part and have ignored the other logistics. 

I think the only realistic scenario is somehow convincing the intended victim to stand still under the icicle while simultaneously crawling unseen on the roof behind them with a hair dryer and a very long extension cord.

So, no....

• LOL 12
3 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I think the only realistic scenario is somehow convincing the intended victim to stand still under the icicle while simultaneously crawling unseen on the roof behind them with a hair dryer and a very long extension cord.

So, no....

"Just stand right there."

"Okay. Right here?"

"Yeah, right there. And don't move!"

"For how long?"

"I've got a surprise for you."

"Jesus, it's wet and cold here under this giant dripping icicle. I'm moving over there while I wait for your surprise."

"But you can't do that. It ruins the surpri--never mind." 

• LOL 15

I saw a movie about a killer once who seemed to get away free, but in the end he’s standing under a tree and a huge icicle falls down and hits him causing him to fall off a cliff.  Movie Lovely Bones. Good movie but difficult to watch.

I went to Fresh Market yesterday and bought some Lemon hummus, five herb pesto, kale, pepper and artichoke salad and organic multigrain bake at home wheat loaf. Very tasty!

Today is sunny, but still very cold.  I hope others are getting some relief from the brutal weather. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

After a comprehensive (five whole minutes) Google search, while many people are killed by falling ice, I can’t find anything substantive where someone used an icicle as a murder weapon. I am going to say urban legend.

I suspect, at the end of the day, there's going to be a lot more practical, readily accessible items lying around to stab or bludgeon someone with. Even if those same items don't have the magical ability to melt after the fact. 

And I'm probably going to have to put myself in time out now for how much thought I put into the icicle murder theory today. 😇

• LOL 9
5 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

After a comprehensive (five whole minutes) Google search, while many people are killed by falling ice, I can’t find anything substantive where someone used an icicle as a murder weapon. I am going to say urban legend.

Maybe people are playing off the short story in which a woman bashes her husband to death with a frozen leg of lamb, cooks it, and serves it to the investigating detectives?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 10
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

And I'm probably going to have to put myself in time out now for how much thought I put into the icicle murder theory today. 😇

Hey, thinking is free. Now if you have a specific person in mind and have been experimenting with sculpting handles out of the blunt end of icicles? 

1 minute ago, On the Bias said:

Maybe people are playing off the short story in which a woman bashes her husband to death with a frozen leg of lamb, cooks it, and serves it to the investigating detectives?

Interesting...🤔

• LOL 8

The icicle discussion reminds me very much of an Alfred Hitchcock episode where a lady got tired of her argumentative husband.  She came up behind him with a frozen leg of lamb while he was sitting at the table, and whacked him in the head and killed him.  Then she threw his body down the cellar stairs to make it look like a tripping accident.  Then called the police.  Meanwhile, she calmly put the murder weapon (leg of lamb) in the oven.  The police came, consoled her on her husband's accidental fall down the stairs, and , in the last scene, she serves the cooked lamb to the police officers.  The perfect murder.  Gotta love Alfred Hitchcock!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
35 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I saw a movie about a killer once who seemed to get away free, but in the end he’s standing under a tree and a huge icicle falls down and hits him causing him to fall off a cliff.  Movie Lovely Bones. Good movie but difficult to watch.

My first thought when I read the "death by icicle" discussion was the Lovely Bones. Man, that movie absolutely gutted me.

• Love 5

We're calling them ice daggers down here since icicles doesn't fully cover how large some of them are. I think if you had gloves with those grippy palms and aimed for the soft part of the abdomen, you could make it work.

Yes, I read a lot of murder mysteries.

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, On the Bias said:

@ChiCricket , don't go getting any ideas about how to deal with difficult husbands.

• LOL 15
43 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

The icicle discussion reminds me very much of an Alfred Hitchcock episode where a lady got tired of her argumentative husband.  She came up behind him with a frozen leg of lamb while he was sitting at the table, and whacked him in the head and killed him.  Then she threw his body down the cellar stairs to make it look like a tripping accident.  Then called the police.  Meanwhile, she calmly put the murder weapon (leg of lamb) in the oven.  The police came, consoled her on her husband's accidental fall down the stairs, and , in the last scene, she serves the cooked lamb to the police officers.  The perfect murder.  Gotta love Alfred Hitchcock!

I could not remember who wrote the story. I thought it was O. Henry. 

I see potential problems with this scenario. First, lamb is greasy, so slippery. I guess you could leave it in the package, but since it’s frozen, also slippery. Pretty much a meat icicle.

Second, if it’s frozen enough to use as a weapon, it would be impossible to cook it enough to throw off the police in less than six to eight hours. So that’s a long time to not call 911 about a stair injury...and you can’t exactly say you weren’t home with a leg of lamb in the oven. 

I’m going to say whoever wrote that story doesn’t cook.

I am so bored. Does it show? 😬

• LOL 15
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I could not remember who wrote the story. I thought it was O. Henry. 

Roald Dahl (best known for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)  wrote the story that the episode was based on. It's called "Lamb to the Slaughter." In the original story, she doesn't try to make it look like an accident... she kills him, then goes to grocery store to get some potatoes to go with the meal, then comes back and pretends to find him dead, like there's been some kind of home invasion.

She's also pregnant, and kills her husband because he tells her he has another woman and wants a divorce. I kind of wish this was Anna's reaction to the Ashley Madison scandal...

• LOL 9
  • Love 5

@Oldernowiser:  some kind of gloves (probably available through Amazon) that they would use in fish packing - with rubber palms, but also have some little rubber “nubs” built in for gripping.  Yes.  Time out corner is getting crowded.  
@GeeGolly you said “Big Sky” which made my face do this 🧐

we used to have a regular poster called Big Sky, remember?  Who lived teetering on the edge of the flat earth - seems like very remote.  She had health problems, so did her husband, and wherever she was COOOLD and snowed in sometimes.  Remember?  What happened to her?

the Lovely Bones was an excellent but heart kicking book.  I never saw the movie.  

and also:  @realityfan26 - your comment about clearing history.  Many, many moons ago I was in a scratchy patch with husbo and spent many many many sentences in an email to my 2 friends in Indiana - we had a whole seriously twisted and comedy-ish story worked out about a really stinky, slightly sticky box that was going to have to make its way to the warehouse at their job.  And then I sent them an email that said “Dear GBI, FBI, Big Brother or whomever may be lurking and growing concerned:  I’m not really a murderer.  My husband is being a total ass right now and these conversations are a release mechanism.  If a suspicious box is ever located in ______ warehouse, no one attached to this email is involved in any way.  Seriously.  All a joke.”

a man in our church was helping clean up and get prepared for Sunday services after a big ice storm in Georgia several years ago.  Church building was brand new and sported a brand new shiny metal roof.  This guy walked underneath just as a sheet of ice let go, and was knocked off his feet.  I think he had a minor back injury (which I’m SURE no one else appreciated the poetic justice as much as I did - after he’d done the chest pounding thing about a committee title and leadership.  My Sunday school class wanted to do a coat drive.  I’m serious.  He waylaid me in CHURCH to explain we couldn’t DO a coat drive without going through him because of some committee in which he held chair.  To which my Sunday school class - all whippersnappers in their early 30’s nearly said “go...”.  But then graciously went through him anyway because the people who would benefit shouldn’t continue to be without because of him.  So......... yes.  I was a big fan of that sheet of ice).  

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8

Lovely bones was one of the most heartbreaking/heart wrenching books/movies ever. I read it 15 plus years ago and I still remember how often I had to put the book down because how sad it was. It was extremely difficult to finish... I probably cried.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, realityfan26 said:

I'm getting a kick out of all the murder scenarios. You might want to clear your search history just in case! 🤣🤣

My entire search history is so incriminating. If I ever come to the attention of law enforcement, my only defense will be, "I'm very curious . . . And I have a lively imagination." 

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, On the Bias said:

Since great minds are thinking alike....for your reading pleasure.  It's a great Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode.  Leave it to the man who wrote Willie Wonka.  Liquor is quicker! 

ETA - My apologies - dargosmydaddy was there before me and gets the credit.  Either I'm flaking out or just didn't see the post, or both, or it's not enough hot chocolate.  Need a nap too. 

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I went to Fresh Market yesterday and bought some Lemon hummus, five herb pesto, kale, pepper and artichoke salad and organic multigrain bake at home wheat loaf. Very tasty!

Today is sunny, but still very cold.  I hope others are getting some relief from the brutal weather. 

I've been making my own hummus.  My granddaughters were really into doing that.  It's so easy and delicious.  I've always put some fresh lemon juice in mine!

You're fresh market shopping sounds wonderful!

We're still knee deep in snow!  This week is bringing a bit of a heat wave, upper 30's so I'm looking forward to a hair cut and a grocery shopping trip!

Btw I've had my two shots of vaccine.  Absolutely no problems but I have noticed one change!

I'm always so cold!  Lately I'm not!  Just very comfortable.  Anybody else noticing that change?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I did some looking for the Alfred Hitchcock episode I was talking about.  I think the leg of lamb and the man being thrown down the stairs may have been a Suspense episode.  The Hitchcock one is slightly different in that the wife (Barbara Bel Geddes) whacks him with the lamb and then makes it look like a home invasion.  The title is "Lamb to the Slaughter". Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 3, Episode 28.  It is on Youtube.  Just Google "Hitchcock frozen lamb."  Now I want to find the other story with the same plot that was also on TV.  It is not an O Henry story.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Okay, this was a nice quiet day here, mild weather, sunny (though a storm is spozed to be moving in tonight). And then this afternoon, just to keep the weirdness that is 2021 going - jet plane parts fell out of the sky over one of the northern suburbs here. Fortunately (amazingly!) nobody on the ground was injured, and the plane whose engine had that spectacular failure turned back and was safely landed at the airport with no injuries on the aircraft either. I've seen video showing that the failed engine was still flaming as the plane was landing. Holy hell. I don't live anywhere near that part of town, but happened to be scrolling through my Twitter feed when a couple of tweets from locals popped up, along the lines of "was that an airplane part that fell on the park in Broomfield just now?" Wowzer. 

Yesterday I watched the new film Nomadland, on Hulu. I'd been looking forward to it, and wasn't disappointed. I watched it again this afternoon.

ETA: @QuinnInND, good to hear that you read your sister's letter and don't regret it. I got no advice, just wishing you the best as you deal with the situation.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 13
26 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Okay, this was a nice quiet day here, mild weather, sunny (though a storm is spozed to be moving in tonight). And then this afternoon, just to keep the weirdness that is 2021 going - jet plane parts fell out of the sky over one of the northern suburbs here. Fortunately (amazingly!) nobody on the ground was injured, and the plane whose engine had that spectacular failure turned back and was safely landed at the airport with no injuries on the aircraft either. I've seen video showing that the failed engine was still flaming as the plane was landing. Holy hell. I don't live anywhere near that part of town, but happened to be scrolling through my Twitter feed when a couple of tweets from locals popped up, along the lines of "was that an airplane part that fell on the park in Broomfield just now?" Wowzer. 

Yesterday I watched the new film Nomadland, on Hulu. I'd been looking forward to it, and wasn't disappointed. I watched it again this afternoon.

ETA: @QuinnInND, good to hear that you read your sister's letter and don't regret it. I got no advice, just wishing you the best as you deal with the situation.

Omg that airplane!  I'm thinking it was heading for Hawaii.  What if it was out over the Pacific and couldn't land so fast.

Thank God they are safe.  Wow.

• Love 10