Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Don’t worry, @Nysha, your cats just want to possess you 😂😬 T

Or eat me. Mischa, my boy kitty, was sitting on my feet this morning and every so often he would give one a little nibble. It didn't hurt, but I do think he's thinking he's going to get a good-sized dinner out this pandemic. 

• LOL 10
6 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Or eat me. Mischa, my boy kitty, was sitting on my feet this morning and every so often he would give one a little nibble. It didn't hurt, but I do think he's thinking he's going to get a good-sized dinner out this pandemic. 

“I love you, Mom, but you are Plan B. Just sayin’.”

• LOL 13

The Texas governor had a press conference today and I think it confused people more than anything. Schools are closed for the rest of the school year yet in the next breath he started talking about a plan to open things back up, with very few details. State parks are opening back up on April 20 but limited to parties of 5 or less and you have to wear a mask. He also talked about opening up retail businesses again but they have to have a drive thru or curbside option. Besides places like Walgreens or Target or Walmart, what kind of retail business has that? 

• Love 1

@Jynnan tonnixThat picture will mean more to him, especially in years to come, than any bought card ever could.  Happy Birthday to your son-in-law.  And good wishes to your mom that she'll have some good relief from her pain.  I hope you know what a wonderful person you are.

• Love 10
22 minutes ago, emma675 said:

The Texas governor had a press conference today and I think it confused people more than anything. Schools are closed for the rest of the school year yet in the next breath he started talking about a plan to open things back up, with very few details. State parks are opening back up on April 20 but limited to parties of 5 or less and you have to wear a mask. He also talked about opening up retail businesses again but they have to have a drive thru or curbside option. Besides places like Walgreens or Target or Walmart, what kind of retail business has that? 

I read about that a few minutes ago. In our area stores like Best Buy are only open for curbside (and their typical online delivery), but Home Depot is business as usual. Some of our parks and trails are open and some aren't. It doesn't seem Tx will be doing much different on Monday than my area is now. Even hospital procedures; two of my friends had surgeries in the last couple of weeks, and one was rotator cuff surgery. 

So when the TX gov said the state was opening on Monday I expected way more. It is confusing. Everything regarding this pan-damn-demic is confusing.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, wilsie said:

@Jynnan tonnixThat picture will mean more to him, especially in years to come, than any bought card ever could.  Happy Birthday to your son-in-law.  And good wishes to your mom that she'll have some good relief from her pain.  I hope you know what a wonderful person you are.

I agree. That is really lovely.  I would be touched.

• Love 5

Schools closed for the rest of the year here too. On one hand, I'm relieved because I was having mild anxiety when considering them going back. On the other hand, my youngest won't get closure to her last year before kindergarten (may not even have round up to prepare for the fall), and my oldest was really loving her teacher and classroom friends. My husband is struggling because he misses his students and feels out of his depth with homeschooling our kids (he teaches high school, so elementary is tough for him). We're ordering pizza for dinner tonight to cheer us up a bit. This week has been the first kind of rough week we've had. Hoping for a better one next week!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

Schools closed for the rest of the year here too. On one hand, I'm relieved because I was having mild anxiety when considering them going back. On the other hand, my youngest won't get closure to her last year before kindergarten (may not even have round up to prepare for the fall), and my oldest was really loving her teacher and classroom friends. My husband is struggling because he misses his students and feels out of his depth with homeschooling our kids (he teaches high school, so elementary is tough for him). We're ordering pizza for dinner tonight to cheer us up a bit. This week has been the first kind of rough week we've had. Hoping for a better one next week!

Well, on the bright side, your youngest will most probably have only a vague memory of the preschool/school transition. None of mine, now in their 30s, or months shy of, really remember anything about those days. If she remembers anything of the disruption, it will likely depend on how big of a deal the poeple she knows make of it.

My daughter's toughest year was between first and second grade, though there was no outside trauma other than she really loved her teacher. And, to a point, when we moved from San Diego to Connecticut when she was 11. But as a Navy family, we moved every couple of years, and while they remember some of those moves as being more difficult than others, and were sometimes unhappy about them, in the long run, in retrospect, they all say they appreciate how much all that disruption made them that much more able to adapt to new situations than a lot of their peers 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 10
34 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

The huge roar of delight I heard yesterday, was the 75 percent of all middle school and high school students who are done, done, done with school, knowing they will be passed no matter!!!

And now, five plus warm weather months of boredom, petty crime and worse. WTF were these governors thinking!  At least delay the school closing  announcement!

• Love 5

I am actually so very thankful that the schools are taking the high road.  So many teachers have died in New York.  There are many teachers in my family.  My daughter has been putting in so many extra hours in her classroom helping her high school students by phone, computer, mail....any way to keep in contact.  She phones daily in tears wondering if she's doing all she can.   For her seniors, she's trying to come up with something that will be extra special for them.  The Illinois announcement today will let me sleep a bit easier.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

The huge roar of delight I heard yesterday, was the 75 percent of all middle school and high school students who are done, done, done with school, knowing they will be passed no matter!!!

And now, five plus warm weather months of boredom, petty crime and worse. WTF were these governors thinking!  At least delay the school closing  announcement!

My understanding, at least here in Arkansas, is they are still doing school for the rest of the school year. It's just not happening in the school building. 

• Love 6

zella, i think that is true but i also believe that school districts will kind of let the kids slide through for this year.  its unprecedented what is goig on in the area of schools being shut down so school districts dont really know what to do.  honestly if my kid didnt want to do a lot of schoolwork, (i dont have any at home anymore btw) i wouldnt lose a lot of sleep over it. parents everywhere are going through the same struggle and i doubt schools can really hold anyone accountable. jmo.

• Love 5
Just now, zoomama said:

zella, i think that is true but i also believe that school districts will kind of let the kids slide through for this year.  its unprecedented what is goig on in the area of schools being shut down so school districts dont really know what to do.  honestly if my kid didnt want to do a lot of schoolwork, (i dont have any at home anymore btw) i wouldnt lose a lot of sleep over it. parents everywhere are going through the same struggle and i doubt schools can really hold anyone accountable. jmo.

Yeah I'm sure that's true. The people I know who are parents are saying they're having a hard time keeping them on track, and I can see why everyone would be struggling. I'm glad I am no longer teaching. I never taught kids, just college freshmen, but I can't focus on my own work now with everything going on. I doubt I'd be able to focus if I was a teacher or a student. 

• Love 8

My oldest daughter has 4 school aged kids and does not have a computer. The school lent her one laptop, so she has to try to keep 5 other kids occupied while supervising each kid doing school one at a time. 

My youngest daughter also does not have a computer. Their school sent the kids home with I-pads which are just different enough from Android tablets to make it difficult for her to figure out. On top of that, they didn't remove the controls, so the kids can't access the outside learning sites that they're supposed to use. 

I would worry more, but all 6 of them are already on IEPs for learning disabilities, so they'll end up with more individualized help next year to make up for missing so much this year.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Nysha said:

My oldest daughter has 4 school aged kids and does not have a computer. The school lent her one laptop, so she has to try to keep 5 other kids occupied while supervising each kid doing school one at a time. 

My youngest daughter also does not have a computer. Their school sent the kids home with I-pads which are just different enough from Android tablets to make it difficult for her to figure out. On top of that, they didn't remove the controls, so the kids can't access the outside learning sites that they're supposed to use. 

I would worry more, but all 6 of them are already on IEPs for learning disabilities, so they'll end up with more individualized help next year to make up for missing so much this year.

Our school district has really run into issues about people not having internet or computers at home. I think I've mentioned on here before that approximately 1/3 of the homes in my county don't have internet, either because of the cost or because of lack of access. They've been encouraging people without internet to get in contact with them, so they can get the homework packets (called AMI packs) to them, but I don't know how. I know our school has done a pretty good job of maintaining school lunches with a delivery route--actually pretty proud of how seamlessly they put it together; it was running as soon as the schools closed and goes to rural areas, as well as the neighborhoods in town--and I wonder if that is how they are also delivering some of the schoolwork? 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Nysha said:

same with many of my grands! 

• Love 2

in texas, (i get district phone calls because my name is on my grandsons record there) to help the famiies with no internet in their homes, they are having the parents drive to certain school sights in town and they are to park their cars near the parked bus there in the parking lot. they are to stay in the car and connect to the internet on their chromebooks via the internet on the bus! so if you have say...3 kids...you sit there in the parking lot with your three kids in the car with the windows rolled up and use the chromebooks  in the comfy situation.  no sense at all!!!

4 minutes ago, zoomama said:

in texas, (i get district phone calls because my name is on my grandsons record there) to help the famiies with no internet in their homes, they are having the parents drive to certain school sights in town and they are to park their cars near the parked bus there in the parking lot. they are to stay in the car and connect to the internet on their chromebooks via the internet on the bus! so if you have say...3 kids...you sit there in the parking lot with your three kids in the car with the windows rolled up and use the chromebooks  in the comfy situation.  no sense at all!!!

We leave wifi on at our library 24/7, even not during a pandemic, and you can access it in the parking lot. I see a lot of cars parked in our parking lot, sometimes for hours, when I go in for shifts. I wonder if some of them are families trying to do schoolwork.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Just wanted to say that my brother's surgery went well.  It wasn't quite a simple as we had hoped, but, no complications. The doctor said that his gallbladder was infected and in worse shape than they had thought. Apparently, the scan didn't reflect it. But, they still did it laparoscopically.  He's taking his pain meds and resting in bed. He seems to be doing really well. Thanks for your prayers and well wishes.  

Glad things have gone well!!

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

We leave wifi on at our library 24/7, even not during a pandemic, and you can access it in the parking lot. I see a lot of cars parked in our parking lot, sometimes for hours, when I go in for shifts. I wonder if some of them are families trying to do schoolwork.

Or people applying for jobs. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Or people applying for jobs. 

Yeah for sure! 

We have a lot of library users who use our computers since they don't have one (or a smartphone), and since we are closed to the public, they don't have any internet access at all since the wi-fi doesn't help them without a device. 😞 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Yeah for sure! 

We have a lot of library users who use our computers since they don't have one (or a smartphone), and since we are closed to the public, they don't have any internet access at all since the wi-fi doesn't help them without a device. 😞 

I volunteered for a few years in our public library's central location, in the community technology center. That's a big area equipped with 120+ PCs which can be used by library card holders for up two 2 hours a day. I learned a lot, including that it's hard to get any kind of job without applying online. I've often wondered, during this epidemic with the libraries closed, what many of the regular CTC patrons are doing when they need to do anything online. I'm glad your library's keeping the wifi on!

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I volunteered for a few years in our public library's central location, in the community technology center. That's a big area equipped with 120+ PCs which can be used by library card holders for up two 2 hours a day. I learned a lot, including that it's hard to get any kind of job without applying online. I've often wondered, during this epidemic with the libraries closed, what many of the regular CTC patrons are doing when they need to do anything online. I'm glad your library's keeping the wifi on!

Thanks! We're also, if people have access to email, printing stuff for them if they can email it to us. Since we're still doing curbside delivery for books and movies and other items, we can safely deliver printed copies to them that way. We're not charging for it. But yeah we've had to turn some people away because they don't have access to email except when they come into the building, so we can't do anything for them. 😞 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Zella said:

My understanding, at least here in Arkansas, is they are still doing school for the rest of the school year. It's just not happening in the school building. 

Yes, I think the kids here are expected to continue doing their schoolwork at home.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, emma675 said:

I recently had to replace my cell phone and went to AT&T in a Dallas suburb. I wasn't allowed inside the store, but I was serviced while parked in my car in the parking lot. Honestly, I don't see that anything will be drastically different from what it is now except that I am now required to wear a face mask when I am in Dallas County. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Finished the drawing I did for my son-in-law's birthday. This will be instead of a card

So hard to find decent cards these days.

Not the best work I've ever done, but I hope he likes it. I think I did a reasonably good job on my daughter, but babies/toddlers are really hard.

IMG_20200417_171718.jpg

Oh my gosh, that is stunning. Better than any card could ever be! He will be thrilled.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 7

I know a lot of low-income families without WiFi. Most of them have a pay-as-you-go smart phone that they use for accessing the Internet, either with their phone plan or going somewhere with free WiFi. 

One thing I learned when my homeless son stayed with me for a few months is to never give your WiFi password to someone homeless. Passwords are currency. My son sold mine for a pack of smokes and a couple of joints. He admitted after he moved on so I could change the password and get rid of the strangers hanging out in the alley behind my house.

There's a lot of kumbaya posts on SM about how this health crisis is the great equalizer. The posts are obviously made by folks who have easy access to everything they need.

I don't see how Justin Timberlake's biggest complaint of being with his one kid 24/7, on a sprawling estate, equals a mom without internet access to educate and occupy her kids.

• Love 13
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

That's it for the rest of the Illinois school year for all of our kids.😢 

No graduations for my Senior in high school granddaughter, or the one in 8th grade.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/pritzker-to-announce-illinois-schools-will-remain-closed-for-rest-of-school-year-sources/2257533/

I don't have any kids in school (grandkids only - no graduations) and I cried about this. I know it's the right thing to do, but the impact this year has had on kids is just heartbreaking. 😥

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah I'm sure that's true. The people I know who are parents are saying they're having a hard time keeping them on track, and I can see why everyone would be struggling. I'm glad I am no longer teaching. I never taught kids, just college freshmen, but I can't focus on my own work now with everything going on. I doubt I'd be able to focus if I was a teacher or a student. 

I'm retired, but I can relate. I read about 15 books in January & February, but since the pandemic, I've read 2, both for my book club. Both were excellent, but this second one (my first Libro book, so first audible reading) is fantastic, but I'm having so much trouble following it, I'm listening for the 2nd time. It's "A Woman of No Importance" by the way and it's about Virginia Hall, an amazing woman who spied during WWII with the French Resistance. I can't concentrate and I have to keep backing up!  

ETA: Sorry to post 2X in a row. I should have used the multi-quote feature.

Edited by BetyBee
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

Hi @Jynnan tonnix. Sorry your mom isn’t feeling so well.  For the constipation, try Miralax in a cup of warm white grape juice if she can drink sugary things. For some reason, the white grape juice works better than others I tried, but you have to heat it for about 20 seconds. It was a lifesaver after I had abdominal surgery.  

That's interesting about the warm white grape juice. 

Plain green grapes work great for me in preventing constipation.  I have been on different opioid meds through the years for my rheumatoid arthritis & I also suffer from very painful immune system related skin condition.    

14 hours ago, wilsie said:

@Jynnan tonnix, your drawing is beautiful and I can't agree more with @wilsie. I know I've shared this story before.  My father surprised me & my husband on our son's second Christmas by giving us a painting he had done of our son.  He used my son's  six month Sears portrait to copy from.  It will always be the best gift I have ever received & it hangs proudly in our living room. 

Part of the surprise was this was my dad's first portrait as landscapes were his thing.  The other surprise was that I thought it was a train set by the size of the box it was in, that my dad was passing on his love of model trains.  This was also one of the few times in my life I was left speechless when I opened the box and saw what it was.  

I'm sure your son-in-law will love and treasure your gift as much as I have with mine. 

ETA:  Sorry to hear what your mother is going through.  Dealing with pain isn't easy for all of the family. Hoping she will find relief. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 9
12 hours ago, Zella said:

Sure, school is in session.  But, for countless reasons,  how much school work is being completed at home.  My SIL teaches 5th grade and a nephew is a HS math teacher.  If a student doesn't engage, they can't help.  And the level of engagement is all over the place, especially at the HS level.  It would have helped enormously to have at least pretended for few more weeks that going back to school was a possibility.

I do realize that the school year varies depending on location, but here school ends in June.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

And this makes me glad that I don't have much of a social media presence. How ridiculous.

Things aren't equal between people who die and people who survive.

Things aren't equal between people who lose someone (or several someones) they love; and who lose someone (or several someones) who are more tangential in their lives; and who don't know anyone who has died at all.

Things aren't equal between people who have been very ill, sometimes to the point of coming off a ventilator with PTSD; and between people who have other medical issues that can't be dealt with because hospitals need to focus on COVID-19; and people who are perfectly healthy.

Things aren't equal between people who will never recover from the financial hit of being laid off and are now food insecure; and between people who are stressed from the financial hit now, but will be fine in a few years; and between people who are able to telework comfortably.

Things aren't equal between people who need to work all hours on the front lines and people who don't need to do those things.

Even if we narrow it down to folks who are basically physically healthy and financially secure, things aren't equal. Some people who are alone are finding time to relax and forge a new routine and resting their introverted souls quite happily. Some people who are alone are extroverts going stir crazy, and/or are swirling with lonely anxieties about how worthless they must be because they've been cut out of everyone else's life. Some people who are tucked up with their families are rediscovering how deeply they enjoy each other now that life has slowed down.  Some people who are locked in with their families are contemplating divorce, feeling like failed parents because homeschool is going poorly, and holding on by a thread for the day they can be alone for just a moment.

Peoples' homes are not equal. Is it easier to be trapped in a mansion, or a home with lots of land you can safely roam without a mask, or a 400-square-foot urban apartment? Are these things equal?

And then there are the milestones. Did you have to cancel a trip you'd planned for years? A wedding? A graduation? That marathon you'd been training for? Have you had to put off selling/buying a home after ages of careful planning? Did this interrupt the start of your new job? Are you pregnant and looking at your partner being banned from the hospital while you give birth? True of some, and not others.

I wonder if anyone who can put forward the idea that the virus is any kind of equalizer has listened to a thing another human being has said for the last month. It affects us all, but not equally. And even among the lucky ones, it has a nasty way of handing out opposite punishments where some suffer from too much togetherness while others suffer from too much loneliness.

Ugh.

(If you read this far, I send you virtual socially distant takeout from your struggling restaurant of choice.)

Bravo. 👏

• Love 10

In our area in N.C., Spectrum and maybe other companies are providing free internet to any household with school age children, so they can get online classes. Some counties are providing all students a computer. They also have a special plan for low income homes for $14.00 per month. 

Durham County N C is starting mandatory face covering in public places and in private, except among same household family members. I think it’s a good idea. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's a lot of kumbaya posts on SM about how this health crisis is the great equalizer. The posts are obviously made by folks who have easy access to everything they need.

I don't see how Justin Timberlake's biggest complaint of being with his one kid 24/7, on a sprawling estate, equals a mom without internet access to educate and occupy her kids.

Yes! I've seen a lot of privilege--not here--in some of the advice being doled out. A lot of people live in a bubble and have no clue the disadvantaged reality for so many people. 

1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

Sure, school is in session.  But, for countless reasons,  how much school work is being completed at home.  My SIL teaches 5th grade and a nephew is a HS math teacher.  If a student doesn't engage, they can't help.  And the level of engagement is all over the place, especially at the HS level.  It would have helped enormously to have at least pretended for few more weeks that going back to school was a possibility.

I do realize that the school year varies depending on location, but here school ends in June.

I disagree. I don't think them postponing the announcement would inspire anymore devotion to schoolwork because people are so stressed out and distracted. I was glad they finally just announced it was closed here because everytime they did an incremental extension, I just felt like they were being delusional about returning, and that did not inspire me with confidence at all. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Yes! I've seen a lot of privilege--not here--in some of the advice being doled out. A lot of people live in a bubble and have no clue the disadvantaged reality for so many people. 

One good thing, I think, about some of the "equalizer" type posts, us that they are working to make us more aware of how important service people of all kinds are, and how much so many of them who are deemed essential are putting themselves in danger for meager pay.

• Love 10

I am glad my district hasn’t made any final decisions about the rest of the school year. It would make me so sad, like @Jenniferbug said, to have the finality that my children won’t get to be a class again. I need the hope to be alive for now. It’s a purely emotional reaction, even if I intellectually know what is going to happen.

• Love 4

NPR did a segment on how online school and paper packets are simply not as effective as face to face teaching.

I thought of all the Fundy families that ONLY do paper packets or online.

And they actually believe it's superior to real school.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

Just checking in. We have been staying at sick son and his husband’s house the last 4 weeks.  We checked with an infectious disease dr who said we could go home and go back and forth if that is all we do. Fine with us. I have an instacart order ready to go. We will wipe everything down.  We have precautions for getting gas - mask, disinfectant wipes on pump and keypad and take the outside pump. 

heard an educator on a talk radio show and she said since just about all kids and teachers  are in the same boat, next year will be a (she used a word I can’t remember) maybe recalibration - and said teachers and kids are resilient for the most part and it will get worked out. 

in some rural places there isn’t internet or Wi-Fi. Those places will have difficulty connecting. 

the more we stay hunkered down the easier it gets. It will be different in our own house although there is plenty of private space where we are staying. 

i cut my own hair today. Mr lookeyloo cut his in a sort of 5 year old way!!

• Love 17
57 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

One good thing, I think, about some of the "equalizer" type posts, us that they are working to make us more aware of how important service people of all kinds are, and how much so many of them who are deemed essential are putting themselves in danger for meager pay.

I think many of the kumbaya-ers won't acknowledge to themselves that some of these frontliners are making less per week than some folks' unemployment checks.

• Love 1

@Scarlett45, I feel exactly the same. When we see thousands of cars lined up just to get food, and know the suffering so many are going through, we also feel we cannot complain. But we will be so happy for everyone when we can safely start back to normal life.

• Love 21
24 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

@Scarlett45, I feel exactly the same. When we see thousands of cars lined up just to get food, and know the suffering so many are going through, we also feel we cannot complain. But we will be so happy for everyone when we can safely start back to normal life.

Of course I miss hanging out with my friends and the fun things we can’t do right now, that’s only human. But I know the difference between missing out on fun and ACTUALLY suffering. Which I expect all mentally capable adults to be able to do- large feat I know. 

I will be happy to go out again, get dressed up and go on vacation and I will appreciate it all the more when it happens. 

• Love 14

I have a son with schizo-effect disorder who is homeless and has been living in his car for the last 6 years. I last heard from him in January when he called to say his car had been impounded due to unpaid traffic tickets. He paid the tickets but the impound fees were more than the car was worth, so he was going to save up a couple of months' Social Security and get a different one.

I've been extremely worried about him because of the virus, but I don't have any way of contacting him and I don't know where he is. Last night there was a knock at my door, and there he was. 

He's had a rough time. His SS was cut off b/c he didn't get the notification of review. The homeless shelter where he was staying closed due to the virus, so he's been on the streets for the last 3 weeks. He walked 60 miles to a Salvation Army church and they put him on a bus 5 days ago to my town. 

I love him, but he can't stay with me. His issues exacerbate my depression and anxiety, he has a warrant for his arrest in my state, plus he caused so many problems with the neighbors the last time he stayed here that I got a written warning if he came back I'd be evicted. So, I fed him a large meal, let him shower, and gave him $50. He said he was going to go to the police station and turn himself in, since then he'd have a place to stay. 

I'm glad he is okay and it breaks my heart that I cannot do anything to help him. His paranoia doesn't allow him to utilize the social services he's qualified for, he isn't considered a danger to himself or the public, and I don't have the resources to ensure that he has a safe place to live. This has been an ongoing issue since he started to show signs of schizophrenia when he was 16.

Because he's been in and out of homeless shelters and on a bus with strangers, my youngest son and I are completely self-quarantining for the next 2 weeks. I'm still luckier than most, since I'm already working from home, plus I can order supplies online and my friend will pick them up for me. But it's going to be a long 2 weeks dealing with my youngest who also has schizophrenia and logically understands why we have to stay home, but still badgers me to go to the store.

@Nysha I understand how you are feeling, and I cannot imagine as a mother the mix of emotions you have right now about wanting to help your elder son but having to keep you and your youngest son safe!

You did the best thing you could for him. (((Hugs)))

• Love 12