Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Hi guys, I'm emerging from my caregiving haze and want to thank everyone again for the awesome support while hubby and I were in the hospital. I'm at the point now where I want to start the radiation  already and get this show on the road. I also will admit that I have been a total sloth myself while hubby has been recovering. He's on the couch so I'm on the couch because it's been a rough recovery and I don't feel comfortable leaving him for long. The tree's still up, the Santas are still on the mantle, the hall is still decorated. I'm considering leaving the purple, green and gold ornaments on the tree and calling it a Mardi Gras tree to buy myself a little more time. 

• Love 23
46 minutes ago, jjane said:

Hi guys, I'm emerging from my caregiving haze and want to thank everyone again for the awesome support while hubby and I were in the hospital. I'm at the point now where I want to start the radiation  already and get this show on the road. I also will admit that I have been a total sloth myself while hubby has been recovering. He's on the couch so I'm on the couch because it's been a rough recovery and I don't feel comfortable leaving him for long. The tree's still up, the Santas are still on the mantle, the hall is still decorated. I'm considering leaving the purple, green and gold ornaments on the tree and calling it a Mardi Gras tree to buy myself a little more time. 

You do anything you need to for you and your husband in whatever time you need it to be.  His getting good care and healing.  Your taking care of yourself while this happens.  Your tree and decorations will wait.  While you're on the couch close to each other try to enjoy the moment because you're there together.  Prayers for both of you.

• Love 16
14 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I don't want to go outside at all either. But I may need to.

I am seriously questioning how far down the rabbit hole of Hamilton and everything and anything I can watch/listen to of  Lin-Manuel Miranda I've gotten addicted to lately.

I kid you not, I am soaking in a hot bath right now while reading the forums on my tablet, while also listening to Hamilton (again) on Amazon Prime.

It's embarrassing how many times I've listened to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Original-Broadway-Recording-Explicit/dp/B0135P6PZA

I've now seen it 6 times, including a trip to Pittsburgh for that alone. And, yes, I paid ridiculous money for the ticket. I listen to the CD about once a week and wish I could find the time to haul down to Puerto Rico sometime in the next couple of weeks and see it there.

If you haven't seen Mary Poppins, Lin-Manuel is adorbs in that, too.

13 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

No..dang it...now I have to add another book. (I'm reading the book Hamilton was based on right now)

Hamilton by Ron Chernow.  A really excellent book, BTW, who knew the founding fathers were so interesting?

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m at the dentist waiting my cleaning. They are really behind schedule. 

That's too bad. Hope they get you into that chair soon, and everything goes well for you.

And in one of those "snap" moments: I had my teeth cleaned today too. Their first appointment, and it wasn't as big a PITA as I'd expected to get there by 8, because the traffic was lighter due to MLK holiday. 

Now I'm waiting with my clean shiny teefs for the serious snowstorm that's suppozed to arrive this evening. Have stocked up on groceries and am happy to not have to go out to work tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, jjane said:

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you and your husband are resting up. Best wishes for the next steps in his treatment. And I'm SO onboard with the Mardi Gras tree idea. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m at the dentist waiting my cleaning. They are really behind schedule. 

Speaking of teeth, has anyone here ever gotten teeth implants? I don't have a tooth in my head anymore (take care of your teeth, youngens!) and would love to get even a wild guesstimate on what they cost.

I've tried searching online for the cost, but every single website wants you to give them your email. Then they just send you an email saying "here's our phone number, call us for an estimate."

Um NO. I just want an idea of the cost without committing.

• Love 5

@Jeeves thanks! Everything was awesome. I am fortunate to have great teeth. I looked at my xrays and they were so nice. Solid! I got the deep cleaning (I was way over due) which I have never had before and my mouth is still numb. I have to go back on Friday for her to clean the other side. 

Get this-

My dentist offered to trade my LV crossbody for her services. Ummm no. 

6EF4E67E-7684-41D1-AF53-49A4B4ACDCA4.gif

• Love 6
11 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I've now seen it 6 times, including a trip to Pittsburgh for that alone. And, yes, I paid ridiculous money for the ticket. I listen to the CD about once a week and wish I could find the time to haul down to Puerto Rico sometime in the next couple of weeks and see it there.

I hope to see it in person someday. 

Have you listened to this? (as I said, I'm an addict)

{All the deleted songs from Hamilton }

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Speaking of teeth, has anyone here ever gotten teeth implants? I don't have a tooth in my head anymore (take care of your teeth, youngens!) and would love to get even a wild guesstimate on what they cost.

I've tried searching online for the cost, but every single website wants you to give them your email. Then they just send you an email saying "here's our phone number, call us for an estimate."

Um NO. I just want an idea of the cost without committing.

I got a single implant last year.  I had an adult tooth that never came in and so I had a bridge in the gap for the past 30 years.  The bridge was loose, I figured it needed some glue, but it turned out that one of the teeth that anchored it had split in 2 (I have really small teeth and this was one of my lateral incisors on top and was particularly small).  Anyway, they had to pull that tooth and then, to close what was now a double gap, I needed an implant and a new bridge.  My dental insurance is ok, but not fabulous.  I ended up needing an extraction, an implant and then a bridge.  The implant itself was several thousand dollars.  Not cheap.  It looks fine and doesn't bother me a bit, though.

• Love 5

I had an implant when I had a tooth that cracked sidewise and lengthwise.  The procedure was not bad at all, but it was around  $3500, as I remember.  I know there are places around that advertise "whole mouth" implant services, but I have no idea about their costs.  I do know that dental tourism to Mexico seems to be popular, and the costs are much less (or so I've heard).  No first-hand experience with that.

• Love 3

My neighbor went to Budapest to have his implants done. $600 per tooth compared to $3500 here in Florida. Since he needed multiple implants, it was cheaper to fly to Europe and stay for 5 days! He said everyone at the clinic spoke English and he’s had no problems.

• Love 5

We arrived in Puerto Rico very late last night after travelling all day from Northern California. Our reward for arriving was seeing the eclipse from the deserted pool area at our hotel while the waves lapped on the shore. Spectacular.

We are here because my husband surprised me with a trip and VIP tickets to see Lin-Manuel in Hamilton on Thursday night. I still can't believe it. I have been addicted to this soundtrack for the better part of a year now. The PBS documentary "Hamilton's America" is a good way to get a tasted of the show. I can't believe we're seeing it this week. I was already happy to have booked a ticket to see it in San Francisco in March and now to see it with Lin-Manuel in the titular role,  I'm completely geeking out. Sorry for fan-girling all over the place.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

We arrived in Puerto Rico very late last night after travelling all day from Northern California. Our reward for arriving was seeing the eclipse from the deserted pool area at our hotel while the waves lapped on the shore. Spectacular.

We are here because my husband surprised me with a trip and VIP tickets to see Lin-Manuel in Hamilton on Thursday night. I still can't believe it. I have been addicted to this soundtrack for the better part of a year now. The PBS documentary "Hamilton's America" is a good way to get a tasted of the show. I can't believe we're seeing it this week. I was already happy to have booked a ticket to see it in San Francisco in March and now to see it with Lin-Manuel in the titular role,  I'm completely geeking out. Sorry for fan-girling all over the place.

Lucky duck!!!

Oooo...THANKS for the recommendation..I forgot I already had a PBS passport (for my grand's shows.)

Now I'm going to watch that.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

My friend from here in suburban Seattle is also in Puerto Rico to see Hamilton!  She's seen it twice in Seattle.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I had an implant when I had a tooth that cracked sidewise and lengthwise.  The procedure was not bad at all, but it was around  $3500, as I remember.  I know there are places around that advertise "whole mouth" implant services, but I have no idea about their costs.  I do know that dental tourism to Mexico seems to be popular, and the costs are much less (or so I've heard).  No first-hand experience with that.

Hmmm...Mexico. Some of my kids are married to spouses with relatives in Mexico.

I also fly  free on standby because my daughter works for a major airline. (I also speak fairly fluent Spanish)

Food for thought. 😁 <<-- has more teeth than I do. 🤗

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Hmmm...Mexico. Some of my kids are married to spouses with relatives in Mexico.

I also fly  free on standby because my daughter works for a major airline. (I also speak fairly fluent Spanish)

Food for thought. 😁 <<-- has more teeth than I do. 🤗

A local friend of mine needed something like eight four tooth implants (I'm a little vague on the number; it was more than one and less than the whole mouthful). He got quotes from local dentists/oral surgeons. Then found a clinic in Costa Rica where he got the work done. He had to have some bone grafts done first and then allow some time for them to "take," then go back for the implants. He phased it across a couple of calendar years to maximize his dental insurance coverage. Even with two or three trips to Costa Rica thrown in, he saved thousands of dollars and I believe the quality of the work was just fine. 

EDITED later to add: Thanks to the Facebook search function I looked up what he posted on Facebook back in January 2013 when leaving from home in Denver for his first trip to Costa Rica:

16 days! Long story short, I need 4 dental implants. Estimate from local provider: $16,800 Estimate from Costa Rica: $5,800. I'm leaving for Costa Rica in 16 days. I save $10,000 and get to spend a week on the beach and a week in San Juan.

As I mentioned he went at least twice, once for the bone grafts and later for the actual implants. I think the quote is for the total process, start to finish.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 4

@jjane  Glad things are coming along for your husband. Like others have said, do things at your own speed & take care of yourself as well. I've found from experience that just resting & doing nothing plays a great part in healing & don't feel guilty about doing so. I love your Mardi Gras tree idea.  I wasn't able to celebrate Christmas til February last year because of health problems  & didn't get around to opening some gifts til April.  Everyone laughed when I was thanking them for their Christmas gifts at Easter.  

• Love 5
12 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I second the PBS tip, that special is terrific, lots of inside information on the writing of the show.

And, may I say, I am so jealous of you seeing the man himself in the role!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

I second the PBS tip, that special is terrific, lots of inside information on the writing of the show.

And, may I say, I am so jealous of you seeing the man himself in the role!

That's sooooo awesome!!!! I'm glad you've gotten to see it all those times! I loooove phantom of the opera, and I've seen it in NYC and London (it sounds so pretentious, lol, but it was just good luck that I got the chance to see it while in those locations!). London was better! Could be because the phantom got sick in NYC, and was replaced after intermission. I also have gotten to see wicked twice in NYC, and it was so much better the second time! I think the more you see a play, the more you catch minor details that you missed originally!

i had the pleasure this summer of getting to see Bernadette peters in hello dolly!!!! That was just amazing. I'm kind of an old soul, and gravitate more towards classic musicals than modern ones, and have loved hello dolly forever! All of the people sitting near me were middle aged, and had no idea about the play, while I knew every word! Haha. Getting to be in NYC while that was on was a dream come true! Love classic musicals. 

• Love 11

Howdy again everyone! Hope things are going well for everyone. I hoping to find a full time job in the human services field. Still filling out applications. Crossing fingers! We are getting some snow after a few weeks of dry weather and sunny days with higher than normal temps. Sunday I woke up with a bad headache. My eyes are still bothering me, but my insurance does not cover seeing an eye doctor, so hopefully I can find a job where I can get vision and dental insurance. I would not mind paying extra money each month so I can see my eye doctor and dentist. My prescription sunglasses are five years old, so I need to update to a newer pair. I still can see well enough with the pair I have now, and I am so glad my eye doctor suggested them.

And my husband finally got a $1.00 a hour pay raise! Whohoo!! With budget cuts and our state government working on the human services budget for the last two years, it is so nice to see him get a half way decent pay raise. The state is looking at increasing the wages for direct care workers who work with developmentally disabled in group homes by another $2.00 to $3.00 a hour raise because a lot of organizations are losing workers right and left to other places paying better wages. I hope I can work in a group home or other human services places because I miss working with the clients especially after I was told I have a knack for this type of work and I had potential to learn more things on the job in order to help the clients. I also would like to work with people with mental illnesses also because i can definitely relate to what they are going through.

{{{HUGS}}} everyone

3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I can't find it anywhere..I'd even be willing to buy it, but I can't find it. :::::sniff::::::

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Howdy again everyone! Hope things are going well for everyone. I hoping to find a full time job in the human services field. Still filling out applications. Crossing fingers!

{{{HUGS}}} everyone

{{{{waving wildly}}} I was just wondering where you had disappeared to, @bigskygirl !

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I can't find it anywhere..I'd even be willing to buy it, but I can't find it. :::::sniff::::::

{{{{waving wildly}}} I was just wondering where you had disappeared to, @bigskygirl !

Hamilton's America originally aired in the fall of 2016 and was part of the Great Performances series on PBS, if that helps. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They always air it during pledge drives. 

This is where I've seen it and I have forbidden my TiVo to ever delete it. I have looked for how to buy it, too. Please let me know, @ChiCricket, if you do figure out where to buy it. I want to own it without pledge breaks to fast-forward through!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

This is where I've seen it and I have forbidden my TiVo to ever delete it. I have looked for how to buy it, too. Please let me know, @ChiCricket, if you do figure out where to buy it. I want to own it without pledge breaks to fast-forward through!

I can't even get it with my PBS passport (that I paid $60 for awhile ago.)

Every site I've found it on says "license has expired."

BOOOOOO

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

My granddaughter hurt her finger this morning.  Then her mom went to target.

764B7571-F647-4053-A3E3-3D6669D603E4.jpeg

Some days, I feel JUST LIKE THAT.

that setup at target looks just like my target....we have a starbucks right around the corner from the deli.  i can relate to your g-baby!

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, zoomama said:

that setup at target looks just like my target....we have a starbucks right around the corner from the deli.  i can relate to your g-baby!

There is a Target in this ne as well.  They begin to make my DIL’s order when they see her coming.  

I just love this pic.  I’ve looked at it 500 times today, and finally made it my wallpaper.  

@bigskygirl, good to see you!  Happy job hunting!  (JK, finding a job IS a job!)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

There is a Target in this ne as well.  They begin to make my DIL’s order when they see her coming.  

I just love this pic.  I’ve looked at it 500 times today, and finally made it my wallpaper.  

@bigskygirl, good to see you!  Happy job hunting!  (JK, finding a job IS a job!)

@Happyfatchick That is so funny! I made your granddaughter’s picture MY wallpaper! The one where she is annoyed she couldn’t get a cupcake... my favorite picture ever!

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Chiming in to say my brother works in theater production and is in Manila for three months setting up for Phantom of the Opera and then getting the tour going. He left right after Christmas, and I miss him 😞

That is soooooo cool!!!!!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

@Happyfatchick That is so funny! I made your granddaughter’s picture MY wallpaper! The one where she is annoyed she couldn’t get a cupcake... my favorite picture ever!

What’s even funnier:  I’ve had the annoyed-no-cupcake pic as MY wallpaper since the day I posted it.  I just changed it today to the “bird” pic.  Hahaha!!!  (I love that cupcake pic too!)

I’m attaching my “other” favorite pic from Halloween too.  Her mom sends me at least one pic a day, and I love her for that!32044B20-FE9A-4BBF-9B54-9734D320BCFD.jpeg.0da4173d1f8855b422bca9fde2a3f323.jpeg

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 11
7 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

I’m attaching my “other” favorite pic from Halloween too.  Her mom sends me at least one pic a day, and I love her for that!32044B20-FE9A-4BBF-9B54-9734D320BCFD.jpeg.0da4173d1f8855b422bca9fde2a3f323.jpeg

This is the CUTEST  thing ive ever seen!!

I would also like to announce that I had a dream last night where I was pregnant and we announced the sex with a lasagne!

It was pink.

It tasted disgusting.

Now I really want lasagne!!

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

What’s even funnier:  I’ve had the annoyed-no-cupcake pic as MY wallpaper since the day I posted it.  I just changed it today to the “bird” pic.  Hahaha!!!  (I love that cupcake pic too!)

I just woke up and haven't had coffee yet.  I first thought these were the Rods!  In their regular clothes and hairdos. Then I noticed the lack of eyeliner and the too nice clothing!

• Love 11

My husband got my computer up and running. Hopefully it will keep going! We got our first major snow fall today. Pretty to look at, but not fun to drive in or shovel. They have been doing a good job plowing the street we live on.

49 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

My husband got my computer up and running. Hopefully it will keep going! We got our first major snow fall today. Pretty to look at, but not fun to drive in or shovel. They have been doing a good job plowing the street we live on.

Welcome back!  Missed you!  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Yay! I've also missed you.

• Love 5
On 1/23/2019 at 8:02 AM, allonsyalice said:

This is the CUTEST  thing ive ever seen!!

I would also like to announce that I had a dream last night where I was pregnant and we announced the sex with a lasagne!

It was pink.

It tasted disgusting.

Now I really want lasagne!!

1) congrats on your new pregnancy!  I’m assuming we were the first to find out and it was very sweet of you to share here.  You know who your friends are...🤣

2) pink lasagna.  Ok, we all know I have an overactive imagination (although dreaming and remembering it and dreaming in color are both pretty big deals.  I dream in vivid color and have such “real” experiences in dreams, I can often recall specifics years later.  And can confuse dreams with reality at times.). Anyway, my mind went pink (as in how to construct a pink lasagna).  Bubblegum?  Pesto Bismol?  Strawberry ice cream?  Truly that is disgusting.  You’re probably craving lasagna now just to get that out of your head.  Yuck!

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

Anyway, my mind went pink (as in how to construct a pink lasagna).  Bubblegum?  Pesto Bismol?  Strawberry ice cream?  Truly that is disgusting.  You’re probably craving lasagna now just to get that out of your head.  Yuck!

A vodka sauce is more pink than red. Just saying. 

• Love 5

I’m going to dr oz taping tomorrow with grifter #1. Oh joy she is something.

grifter #2 is so busy twisting the guy into a pretzel she forgot about me. (Dancing!). She is mad that he didn’t get her a iPhone and Apple Watch. Umm be happy he got you a phone ☎️ 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

I’m going to dr oz taping tomorrow with grifter #1. Oh joy she is something.

grifter #2 is so busy twisting the guy into a pretzel she forgot about me. (Dancing!). She is mad that he didn’t get her a iPhone and Apple Watch. Umm be happy he got you a phone ☎️ 

I love how you are going to all these show tapings!!! That has to be so interesting. Be sure to fill us in on what it's like!

• Love 8