Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

What's it like to have cataracts? I get floaters and they are bad enough! Can't imagine full blown cataracts!

So glad he surgery went well. I'll be thinking of you as you recover! Hope you get lots of rest, and plenty of people pamper you. 😃 how many more surgeries do you need?

Thanks! One more surgery on other eye. Can’t believe how brilliant colors are in “new” eye. Things for me got hazy. Like my glasses needed cleaning but it was the lenses of my eyes. Not much of a recovery. No bending over or lifting anything heavy for a week. Can drive and go about my business such that it is. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

@Christina87 fluffy is adorable!!

i had my first cataract removed today. The thing that worried me the most was the no eating!  I have learned that the guidelines for fasting before anesthesia have changed to be more lenient. Apparently many clinics have not kept up.  I did “cheat” by having water and some Gatorade a few hours before we got there. The wait in the back was longer because of waiting for my eyes to dilate. Had the laser procedure first and then the conscious sedation for rest of it which didn’t put me out. Came home and took long nap. The first thing I noticed through the blur is that white is really white and not cream color! Next one in 2.5 weeks because of scheduling. 

I think you are going to be very pleased when both surgeries are healed. My husband said it was like having 20 20 vision for the first time, as they can adjust as they also take away the cataract. I assume they do that for everyone. Hope your healing goes well.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Love2dance said:

I think you are going to be very pleased when both surgeries are healed. My husband said it was like having 20 20 vision for the first time, as they can adjust as they also take away the cataract. I assume they do that for everyone. Hope your healing goes well.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. The doctor *said* I wouldn't have to wear glasses anymore. Not true for me.  (I wish)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Christina87 said:

AWWWWW!!!! Do it! Get a new bird now!!! Having birds has made such a huge difference for me. I love having them to come home to, and they're just so darn entertaining! They each have a unique personality, for sure. It's a miracle that your blue friend was found! One of the birds I had was found by a friend of my dad's, too. Right after he found it, I posted a picture of my birds, and tagged my dad in it. It was meant to be! That sweet bird is so wonderful, and I'm delighted to give him a home. 

Your pretty blue friend reminds me of my Roy! I named Roy after Roy Williams, but then Roy turned out to be a she. Hahahaha! Budgies are the best. I highly suggest getting some more! Roy is below. 😃

IMG_6443.JPG

6 hours ago, Love2dance said:

@Bayarea4, you definitely should get yourself a new birdie! You sound like you are ready and it would bring you a lot of enjoyment.

Christina87, Roy is (was?) a beautiful bird. She looks exactly like my Charlie, the first bird I owned. Love2Dance, I have been thinking seriously about getting another bird. They are so much fun to have around, like having your own miniature three-ring circus. And they really do have distinct personalities. A budgie would also keep my retired stay-at-home husband happy while I go out with friends, because he'd have someone to talk to and keep him company.

I appreciate the comments on cataract surgery as I will have to have that done also, and I've been wondering what the experience will be like.

Edited by Bayarea4
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I had cataract surgery on both eyes. The doctor *said* I wouldn't have to wear glasses anymore. Not true for me.  (I wish)

Oh that must have been disappointing. I knew going in I would need at least readers but I’ve been wearing glasses since I was 7 and am Used to them. Once I heal I’m going to get frames with reader prescription on bottom and clear on top so I do t have to mess with a bunch of readers and then on and off all day. I quilt (by machine) so it would be on/off and that would annoy me. I also have irregular corneas and he said my best vision would come with hard contact lenses after I heal  if I am willing. Not willing. It will be a big improvement just the cataracts. He and I are not considering corneal transplant. 

• Love 3

My brother had both the surgery and laser way back in the late 80s for his cataracts when he was eleven or twelve. The first eye was surgery in a hospital they hadn't gotten the laser in yet. The other eye they did about a year or so later and that was done with laser in the office. The laser was amazingly fast and really easy. His eye doctor was one of the nicest doctors we ever met.  The change was amazing he couldn't believe how much he was seeing right to noticing colors in paintings on the wall weren't what he thought they were (and a little disturbing to realize just how much he hadn't seeing) except for when he was noticing the wrinkles on Mom's face. She was not thrilled. The doctor was really great.  Our paternal grandmother had cataracts a year after him and it was kind of cute listening to him reassure her that it was easy and the two talking about their procedures. She had the laser too.

• Love 4

My sister had great results from her "Cadillac" surgery (as my young niece called it at the time) many years ago. She was lucky & it greatly improved her vision.  It was more of a pain getting the pre-op clearance done. 

@Christina87 Fluffy is a cutie. Glad she's been accepted by your other birds. 

@ChiCricket How is your granddaughter coming along?  Is the surgery still at the end of the month? I feel for her having to wait that long. I broke my leg years ago & had to wait 2 weeks for surgery to repair things. It was hard getting around being non-weight bearing, wearing a brace like your granddaughters & figuring things out with a walker. At least when you have to do the non-weight bearing thing and crutches/walker after surgery you know your bones or tendons are healing but having to wait weeks before surgery is ridiculous & a waste of time. 

17 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

@Christina87 your bird is so cute!

AND the water delivery man with kissing impulses returned AGAIN. He didn’t speak to me (thank goodness I was in a meeting)- my bosses want to know why the company hasn’t moved his route yet. 

Your story still gives me chills.  I can't believe the company didn't fire him after your incident. Does your company have a set water delivery date so you can be conveniently away from your work area when it's time for a delivery? 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

That is really disappointing for you. I must admit my “hubby” 😉 did eventually need reading glasses, but that was from normal aging after the surgery. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Thanks! One more surgery on other eye. Can’t believe how brilliant colors are in “new” eye. Things for me got hazy. Like my glasses needed cleaning but it was the lenses of my eyes. Not much of a recovery. No bending over or lifting anything heavy for a week. Can drive and go about my business such that it is. 

I had mine done last October, and can drive without glasses, and in the dark (which in the winter begins at 5 pm). Colors  are so vivid. I only need cheaters to read. 

The difference in the first eye was immediate, the other eye was blurry for a few days but that soon resolved.

My doctor was a little more conservative with my activity. No lifting over 10 lbs and no bending forward for 6 weeks.

I am a nurse from back in the day when cataract surgery was serious stuff. Patients had to lie flat with sandbags next to their heads to prevent moving or turning. They couldn’t even have the bed rolled up to use the bedpan or to eat and  were hospitalized for several days. We’ve come a long way.

• Love 8

I had cataract surgery done 1 1/2 years ago.  I had so much trouble with glare from headlights when driving at night.  Sometimes light was a problem when the sun was going up or down and it hits a place in the windshield where it can be blinding.  Night driving is great now.  It was after the first eye.  The extreme sunlight can still be a problem but nowhere near as bad.  Something that happened to me was after my first eye was done I had a bit of a problem with depth perception.  I fell twice, once going up steps and once down a small curb.  It might never happen to you but it's good to be aware.  Also, if you really need to not wear glasses and you have the money, I was told that for $3500.  each eye there's a lens that's available.  Medicare doesn't pay any part of it, or at least didn't two years ago.  For what I do, computer, cooking, reading labels at the store, my 1.25 strength Dollar Tree readers work great.  I have them on all the time for close work but I don't quilt or do anything that needs the ability to do tiny close up reading.  I would have the surgery again in a minute.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Your story still gives me chills.  I can't believe the company didn't fire him after your incident. Does your company have a set water delivery date so you can be conveniently away from your work area when it's time for a delivery? 

@Barb23 I’m not surprised. Men grope or even rape women (or other men and kids) and keep their jobs! For the record I’m not comparing the gross cheek kiss to being raped or sexually assaulted (my hearts are with survivors everywhere).

I am not afraid nor do I feel unsafe in my work place, my company wants him moved and are requesting AGAIN. It’s nice my bosses are on my side. I don’t want him fired, people need their jobs, but his route should be changed to display that wasn’t acceptable.

He probably told his boss I was lying & it never happened OR I confused him with someone else🙄. Yeah right  he put his lips on my skin while I was sitting at my desk!

He has NOT tried to talk to me again (thank goodness), cause he knows he was wrong.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, wilsie said:

I had cataract surgery done 1 1/2 years ago.  I had so much trouble with glare from headlights when driving at night.  Sometimes light was a problem when the sun was going up or down and it hits a place in the windshield where it can be blinding.  Night driving is great now.  It was after the first eye.  The extreme sunlight can still be a problem but nowhere near as bad.  Something that happened to me was after my first eye was done I had a bit of a problem with depth perception.  I fell twice, once going up steps and once down a small curb.  It might never happen to you but it's good to be aware.  Also, if you really need to not wear glasses and you have the money, I was told that for $3500.  each eye there's a lens that's available.  Medicare doesn't pay any part of it, or at least didn't two years ago.  For what I do, computer, cooking, reading labels at the store, my 1.25 strength Dollar Tree readers work great.  I have them on all the time for close work but I don't quilt or do anything that needs the ability to do tiny close up reading.  I would have the surgery again in a minute.  

I had mine qdone last Oct. my vision was blurry and I couldn’t drive at night, I got the standard lenses, and I’m glad I did. I can drive in the dark,see tv and shop all without glasses. I bought cheaters for reading and checking price tags. 

Shortly after my surgery I had a visit with my GP who told me he has had many patients  complain about the super lenses. Getting adjusted to them is not easy and some people still need glasses. I’ll keep that 3500. In the bank.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, bythelake said:

I had mine qdone last Oct. my vision was blurry and I couldn’t drive at night, I got the standard lenses, and I’m glad I did. I can drive in the dark,see tv and shop all without glasses. I bought cheaters for reading and checking price tags. 

Shortly after my surgery I had a visit with my GP who told me he has had many patients  complain about the super lenses. Getting adjusted to them is not easy and some people still need glasses. I’ll keep that 3500. In the bank.

Thank you for sharing this.  I didn't know that about the super lenses.   I would hate to have still needed glasses after spending so much.  

• Love 2

There’s a rumor floating around about a snowflake in north Georgia within the next few days.  Three people went out to an intersection and ran into each other.  Wanted to get it out of the way before the others get started.  True story.

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

There’s a rumor floating around about a snowflake in north Georgia within the next few days.  Three people went out to an intersection and ran into each other.  Wanted to get it out of the way before the others get started.  True story.

And we are due to get over a foot this weekend up here in NE Ohio. *Yawn*

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

Heard that too, but, we seem to be south of the snow line, here in South Cobb.  Anyway, I stocked up on groceries and wine!!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

Christina87, Roy is (was?) a beautiful bird. She looks exactly like my Charlie, the first bird I owned. Love2Dance, I have been thinking seriously about getting another bird. They are so much fun to have around, like having your own miniature three-ring circus. And they really do have distinct personalities. A budgie would also keep my retired stay-at-home husband happy while I go out with friends, because he'd have someone to talk to and keep him company.

I appreciate the comments on cataract surgery as I will have to have that done also, and I've been wondering what the experience will be like.

Awwwww thank you!!! Roy was the first bird I got as an adult, and luckily she is still with me! I hope she sticks around for many more years. ❤️ I think you should definitely get a bird, and everyone who is considering it! You're right, they are a three ring circus! They all have such unique personalities, and are so much fun. PSA to everyone: if you want endless entertainment, get a bird or two. Or six!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

I hope my picture attachment works!

455A454C-D77B-4141-BCDF-601D8F3C7EAB.jpeg

I just came back from Palm Springs, CA with 11 pounds of royal majool dates!  I love them.  And less anxiety inducing than other dates!

• Love 4

It snowed for a little bit this afternoon here in Chicagoland, but has stopped for now.

That has not stopped my husband from nervously coming downstairs every twenty minutes to peer out of the blinds to see if another snowflake has fallen on our driveway yet. 😂

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

It snowed for a little bit this afternoon here in Chicagoland, but has stopped for now.

That has not stopped my husband from nervously coming downstairs every twenty minutes to peer out of the blinds to see if another snowflake has fallen on our driveway yet. 😂

Do you think we will get a doozy tomorrow? I’m supposed to go to a party tomorrow night, and I’m not afraid of the snow, but if the roads are bad a party is low on my priorities. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Both my brother and sister had cateract surgery in both eyes, with rapid recovery. My brother was fine, but my sister hates she now needs reading glasses. I got a big kick finding out when light hits their eyes just so, they glow! They weren't so appreciative when I kept pointing out their eyes glowed like an animal's.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Heard that too, but, we seem to be south of the snow line, here in South Cobb.  Anyway, I stocked up on groceries and wine!!

I need to go to the grocery store and I dread it.  I remember a few years ago I needed bread, milk, and TP; they were on my list before the snow forecast.  I felt so embarrassed when I went to the grocery store because I felt like one of "those" people.  

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Do you think we will get a doozy tomorrow? I’m supposed to go to a party tomorrow night, and I’m not afraid of the snow, but if the roads are bad a party is low on my priorities. 

I think by tomorrow night, it will have stopped snowing, according to the most recent forecast I just looked at.

"Winter Storm warning in effect until noon CST Saturday

Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of five to nine inches expected. Winds gusting 30 to 35 mph"

Ps one of my neighbors just posted this on Facebook:

Upside of the upcoming storm:

The inclement weather will provide an excuse to cancel plans you really wish you hadn’t committed to. 😊

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, louannems said:

I just came back from Palm Springs, CA with 11 pounds of royal majool dates!  I love them.  And less anxiety inducing than other dates!

and you didnt even stop by!!!!    hope you at least waved.

• Love 3

My friend sent this to me today - I’d love to give someone credit, but I have no idea where it came from.  Dead on, though, right?  We’re in the 50’s for the next few days - several days out it dips to the 20’s but there’s no moisture in it.  

F359ED48-74E6-41DD-B836-2F44A5ABDE5E.jpeg

• Love 17

In ny it was supposed to be 3-6 inches of snow. Now less snow, then rain, then it will freeze over. Now I’m scared of ice so lucky it’s a holiday weekend so I’m staying home. Monday 16 degrees. 

Yesterday I got 2 pairs of sneakers at Payless for $15!  Now I got shoes for the gym no excuses!

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Happyfatchick said:

My friend sent this to me today - I’d love to give someone credit, but I have no idea where it came from.  Dead on, though, right?  We’re in the 50’s for the next few days - several days out it dips to the 20’s but there’s no moisture in it.  

F359ED48-74E6-41DD-B836-2F44A5ABDE5E.jpeg

I loved this! We had a bit of snow here yesterday. Big fat heavy flakes and of course I was out while it was falling. But it didn't last long and we're back to sunny today. 

I tracked down the painting. It's called "Ready for the Snow" by a Maryland artist named George Lucas (no, not the Star Wars guy). He actually posted a photo of it on his easel on Facebook: 

2RZHWcc

• Love 7
On 1/18/2019 at 7:10 PM, ChiCricket said:

I think by tomorrow night, it will have stopped snowing, according to the most recent forecast I just looked at.

"Winter Storm warning in effect until noon CST Saturday

Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of five to nine inches expected. Winds gusting 30 to 35 mph"

Ps one of my neighbors just posted this on Facebook:

Upside of the upcoming storm:

The inclement weather will provide an excuse to cancel plans you really wish you hadn’t committed to. 😊

I did go to my party tonight, but it started to snow again on my way home. Not bad but you know how crazy people can be. 

• Love 6

I don't want to go outside at all either. But I may need to.

I am seriously questioning how far down the rabbit hole of Hamilton and everything and anything I can watch/listen to of  Lin-Manuel Miranda I've gotten addicted to lately.

I kid you not, I am soaking in a hot bath right now while reading the forums on my tablet, while also listening to Hamilton (again) on Amazon Prime.

It's embarrassing how many times I've listened to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Original-Broadway-Recording-Explicit/dp/B0135P6PZA

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I am seriously questioning how far down the rabbit hole of Hamilton and everything and anything I can watch/listen to of  Lin-Manuel Miranda I've gotten addicted to lately.

I kid you not, I am soaking in a hot bath right now while reading the forums on my tablet, while also listening to Hamilton (again) on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Original-Broadway-Recording-Explicit/dp/B0135P6PZA

Have you read the book--Hamilton the Revolution? It has the libretto plus a lot of background information that just highlights Lin's genius.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

I haven't gotten into Hamilton yet, but I was the same way with phantom of the opera! The movie came out when I was a chorus nerd in my teens, and it was everything to me!!! Listened to that CD so many times that I remember every word!

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Have you read the book--Hamilton the Revolution? It has the libretto plus a lot of background information that just highlights Lin's genius.

No..dang it...now I have to add another book. (I'm reading the book Hamilton was based on right now)

• Love 2

Dang, Reddit is mean! I'm not even posting, but just lurking, but people are so mean. Someone says something that sets someone off for a dumb reason, and they attack them. Then, the OP (who didn't do anything wrong in the first place) eats their words and apologizes, only to be downvoted to hell and harassed over and over again. I swear, it's a gang mentality! It's like if someone posts something you disagree with, they are irredeemable. Now I understand a little better what happened to me last week. They're just such jerks! I'm so glad to have this wonderful group here where I feel safe posting!!! I couldn't be more thankful for you guys. I love how everyone listens to everyone else's side without judgment, even if we don't agree, to see where we are coming from, and people here don't write each other off. You guys are the best!!!

• Love 14

So I froze my tuchus last night, but I was with good friends, and we were out in a nice state park, which was open very late and hosting an eclipse viewing event. We had a lot of fun looking at this:

20190120-BloodMoon-88-2.thumb.jpg.697c98ee3fe6436a6f9bfee9124e30be.jpg

Super Blood Wolf Moon. Man, with a name like that you HAVE to at least try to see it. It was worth it.

Edited by Jeeves
Can't keep the name straight: Super Wolf Blood? Super Blood Wolf?
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

So I froze my tuchus last night, but I was with good friends, and we were out in a nice state park, which was open very late and hosting an eclipse viewing event. We had a lot of fun looking at this:

20190120-BloodMoon-88-2.thumb.jpg.697c98ee3fe6436a6f9bfee9124e30be.jpg

Super Blood Wolf Moon. Man, with a name like that you HAVE to at least try to see it. It was worth it.

We also watched the eclipse.  We saw it perfectly from our own driveway.  It wasn't quite as red as we'd have liked, like your photo.  In our Seattle suburban area, it shown as more of a brown.

• Love 5

I watched it from my driveway until I couldn't feel my face anymore from the cold. I wish I had snapped a picture of my favorite part, when the eclipse was just starting and part of the moon was dark blue and part was reddish black. It looked like there were glowing fires on the moon.

• Love 6
44 minutes ago, zoomama said:

but did ya'll watch football? i am not a big fan of the sport - give me baseball any day. however, yesterday afternoon was a day of incredible football. GO RAMS!

I'm from Boston and thrilled the Pats made it, but I feel like both title games being dramatic thrillers is only setting us up for a crappy Super Bowl. Hopefully I'm wrong.

• Love 3