Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

2008 is when I graduated college. I have 2 college degrees and have been unemployed or underemployed ever since then. Before I got degrees I was okay with getting retail minimum wage jobs. But with 2 degrees it upsets me too much to get that. I never reached my potential in earning $$$ . Crappy job means I can't move out of my unsafe apartment or get anything I truly want. I just barely scrape by just like everyone else.  I wish I never went to college at all.

TGIF everyone.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Life can really kick the crap out of you sometimes. I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but with regards to the underemployment, just know that you're not alone. I know so many people with advanced degrees who've struggled to find work in their field or had to take "get the bills paid" jobs to keep their heads above water. It doesn't make it suck any less, but please don't think of yourself as a failure because you haven't landed your dream job. I'm sure you worked hard for your degrees and that's a huge accomplishment. Just hang in there, it will get better.

Nysha, I'm so sorry the news isn't good about your sister. I'll be praying for you and your family. 

• Love 14
10 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I'm getting help but its not really helping me. Its hard being alone in the world. I'm trying to adjust/accept that this is how my life is going to be forever.  My post got deleted where I explained everything before.  No amount of therapy etc is going to help when you are alone.  And obviously the therapist doesn't really care about me she is there to listen she gets paid.  The doctor cares even less. Its just how it is.

For those who still have their parents love and treasure them even if they annoy you and anger you. When they are gone they are gone. You will never get a hug or advise or love like that ever again.

2008 is when I graduated college. I have 2 college degrees and have been unemployed or underemployed ever since then. Before I got degrees I was okay with getting retail minimum wage jobs. But with 2 degrees it upsets me too much to get that. I never reached my potential in earning $$$ . Crappy job means I can't move out of my unsafe apartment or get anything I truly want. I just barely scrape by just like everyone else.  I wish I never went to college at all.

TGIF everyone.

I’m sorry you are going through all that. My mom has Dementia and is rapidly declining. She is still alive but I am still losing her. I hesitate to offer you advice because I have no qualifications whatsoever, but my first thought when I read your post was, is there any way you can find a small amount of time to volunteer someplace?  Helping someone else might make you a little feel better. Also, does the therapist have you in any kind of support group?  When I read your post, it made me think of how, in the past 10 years, my health has declined so badly that I went from happy, active and social to practically housebound. Maybe it would help you to know there are others struggling with their own issues. 

Sorry if the above oversteps or sounds naive, but I’m worried about you and I don’t know what else to say to help. 

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I'm getting help but its not really helping me. Its hard being alone in the world. I'm trying to adjust/accept that this is how my life is going to be forever.  My post got deleted where I explained everything before.  No amount of therapy etc is going to help when you are alone.  And obviously the therapist doesn't really care about me she is there to listen she gets paid.  The doctor cares even less. Its just how it is.

For those who still have their parents love and treasure them even if they annoy you and anger you. When they are gone they are gone. You will never get a hug or advise or love like that ever again.

TGIF everyone.

You should be proud of yourself having earned two degrees. I know that seems hard for you right now with your trouble in finding a good job that recognizes you accomplishments. Hang in there and try to be positive. It may take time but someone will see your value and hire you. 

Do you have passion for anything? It could be anything from gardening to knitting. Concentrate on that. When you do begin interviews you will want to project being positive and you can secretly think of your enjoyment factor to get there. I know of people who had very high paying powerful jobs that lost them due to the recovery and went with a much less paying job. They are so much happier without the stress. Anything that pays your bills and keeps you going in the meantime will suffice. Best wishes. Try not to dwell on the negatives. You will get there. 

I’m sorry that you feel so alone and that your medical team are not helpful. What about a support group? I know this might sound crazy but go volunteer. There’s an inner satisfaction I’ve gotten by helping others. I know there’s no pay but their gratefulness is priceless. 

We care about you here, so you vent and PM if you feel stuck. I’m alone too, but I have had my heart filled by the many kind people that I have met here on these boards. 

@Nysha I’m continuing to pray for your sister. All this not knowing must be very difficult for you. I’m praying for a positive outcome. Don’t give up. *hug* 

• Love 13

Y'all I took the first step!!! I made an appointment with an integrative physician (I hope this one really will try to get to the bottom of it, or refer me to someone!) to try to see if it's a thyroid problem or something else. I just can't imagine that a metabolism slow-down that quickly and dramatically is normal. I'm trying to be patient, and realize that it might take more than one doctor, and there may not be an easy answer, but I'm proud of myself for taking the first step! I think the fact that I have lived a healthy lifestyle (even more than before) for almost two years now without much positive change will have to make an impact. Last time I went, I was in the process of gaining the weight, and they had no further discussion after my thyroid test came back normal except, "remember to exercise."

this gain is truly shocking, though. I know lots of people out there are way bigger than me, and I don't mean to be insensitive to anyone else's struggles, but the strange thing is how it just happened one day and nothing I do helps. It usually depresses me too much to look back at pictures of me at my normal size, but I made this collage to show the doctor. These pictures were taken six months apart!!! In no way is this normal, especially for someone who didn't change their diet or exercise at all, and then made it even more healthy and barely got results. haha the first one is a little scandalous, but I was trying to find a picture in something form-fitting! Blurred out the boobs lol. 

Seriously, though. Six months apart!

IMG_4787.PNG

• Love 12
15 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I miss the girl I used to be in 2008. It was the last time I was happy and had hope.

Breaks my heart to read this.  Things do get better.  I promise.  There are a lot of people here who care and have had challenges so don't feel alone and ask for help when you need it.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

You should be proud of yourself having earned two degrees. I know that seems hard for you right now with your trouble in finding a good job that recognizes you accomplishments. Hang in there and try to be positive. It may take time but someone will see your value and hire you. 

Do you have passion for anything? It could be anything from gardening to knitting. Concentrate on that. When you do begin interviews you will want to project being positive and you can secretly think of your enjoyment factor to get there. I know of people who had very high paying powerful jobs that lost them due to the recovery and went with a much less paying job. They are so much happier without the stress. Anything that pays your bills and keeps you going in the meantime will suffice. Best wishes. Try not to dwell on the negatives. You will get there. 

I’m sorry that you feel so alone and that your medical team are not helpful. What about a support group? I know this might sound crazy but go volunteer. There’s an inner satisfaction I’ve gotten by helping others. I know there’s no pay but their gratefulness is priceless. 

We care about you here, so you vent and PM if you feel stuck. I’m alone too, but I have had my heart filled by the many kind people that I have met here on these boards. 

@Nysha I’m continuing to pray for your sister. All this not knowing must be very difficult for you. I’m praying for a positive outcome. Don’t give up. *hug* 

Great idea!  I know what has helped me when I have been down and deeply depressed was working with animals.  They just love you and need you.  They never fail to make me happy if only for a little while.

• Love 7

Christina87, I hope all goes well at your appointment and you get some answers. I don't think you look bad in either picture btw, but I understand it's frustrating to know something's off, but you can't figure out what.

• Love 10

Awwwwww thank you @BitterApple!!! I hope they can figure it out! I've been trying to do this by myself for too long, and with my birthday coming up, I'm not in the mood to waste any more time! I want to get back to who I used to be (and wear my clothes again!!!) as soon as possible! ?

• Love 9

@galaxychaser, I hope you can tell how much people in our little Prayer Closet care. I also really hope you will think about taking the advice others have already shared by finding the energy to join some kind of group....whether volunteer, hobby, sports, or political. I belong to several groups that have single members who are quite alone and don’t have any family. The club members have become their family and they are included in so many events outside of just the club calendars. At my gym there are at least three single members I know who have made close, family-like friends that they see nearly every day. I know you will need to work around your job hours, but your local newspaper or internet search should give you some leads. It is very hard to step into a new group where you know no one, but it can be so worth it.

@Christina87, good job taking the first step to finding out answers. Hopefully the new doctor will be able to help you find your way back to looking and feeling like yourself.  

• Love 11
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:24 PM, Catfin said:

Has anyone on the board experienced a successful pregnancy after an ectopic? My favorite niece lost her pregnancy and tube a few weeks ago and I would love to tell her I “know” someone who did.  She’s such a cool person. 

I know dozens of women who have given birth to healthy kids after an ectopic.  

• Love 8

I had a pleasant surprise this week. I was dreading going to the pharmacy this week because my prescription Nexium for one month costs $215.00  I was thinking even with my new insurance how much will I need to pay out of pocket, but to my shock I only paid $1.65 for the prescription  My other medication I needed to pick up costs around $41.01 for a one month supply, and I only paid $4.11 for it. My 60 count over the counter store brand Claritin costs more than both prescriptions combined. I could go with the prescription my physician assistant wrote for my Claritin, but I found it is cheaper to get a two month supply for the store brand than the one month supply through the pharmacy.

Edited by bigskygirl
29 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I had a pleasant surprise this week. I was dreading going to the pharmacy this week because my prescription Nexium for one month costs $215.00  I was thinking even with my new insurance how much will I need to pay out of pocket, but to my shock I only paid $1.65 for the prescription  My other medication I needed to pick up costs around $41.01 for a one month supply, and I only paid $4.11 for it. My 60 count over the counter store brand Claritin costs more than both prescriptions combined. I could go with the prescription my physician assistant wrote for my Claritin, but I found it is cheaper to get a two month supply for the store brand than the one month supply through the pharmacy.

That's great! I have a Sam's Club membership solely for my allergy meds. Buying it in bulk really does help with cost, especially if you have to take it year round rather than seasonally.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, Zella said:

That's great! I have a Sam's Club membership solely for my allergy meds. Buying it in bulk really does help with cost, especially if you have to take it year round rather than seasonally.

I do the same.  You can't beat 17 bucks for a year supply of generic zyrtec. I also have to take it daily for  dust and mold allergies. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

I understand this. I have a Master's Degree and my official title is Administrative Assistant I aka Secretary. While I make a good wage for Idaho, it's not much more than Washington's minimum wage. If it weren't for the fact that my son gets SSI, making us a 2 income home, I would be living in my car instead of the rundown apartment I currently live in. On the plus side, I make so little I haven't had to start repaying my $170,000 student loan bill.

I am so sorry that you are alone @galaxychaser. I don't have any advice, just my prayers, and wishes that you can find a source of comfort through this heartbreaking time.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do the same.  You can't beat 17 bucks for a year supply of generic zyrtec. I also have to take it daily for  dust and mold allergies. 

Yep! I take zyrtec and nasocort daily for environmental allergies, too, including mold and dust (and pollen). I make my two annual visits to Sam's and they coincide nicely with when I need a resupply. 

• Love 5
Just now, bigskygirl said:

No Sams Club where I live, but the have a Costco here. Maybe I check them out to see if I can get a good deal on over the counter allergy medications.

I have a friend that does Costco for her and one of her cat's prescriptions - Prosac - Yup the cat is on Prozac, and if you are only doing RX she didn't have to pay for a membership.

• Love 5

@Nysha I will light another candle for your sister and send out positive thoughts for her.  I agree that news is better than wondering, but I hope that you and your family has not lost a special light.

@galaxychaser I cannot reccomend the free app or website 7cups.com enough.  They have groups message boards but you can also find a trained Listerner to talk to 24/7 - I've had like maybe 2 duds but the rest have been great.  You can also chat daily with folks in the message boards or find a dedicated listerner who chats with you 1-2 x a week - Mine was awesome.  I didn't realize how awesome she was until she needed to take a break for herself.  All of this is free.  You can also hire a certified therapist - I haven't done that yet, but have considered it a lot.  If your therapist doesn't fit, try this - it's free and can be fun.  And at 2 am when I'm having my anxiety breakdown - there is someone there to talk to.  These are amazing folks and friends.  One thing I've learned is that friends and family don't need to be folks you see all the time.  They can totally be online.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I believe Nexium just went generic, so that could be the reason in the huge price drop.

• Love 2

Now for a truly vapid question: has anyone had Bishop’s bumps or sizing balls added to a ring? I just had my wedding ring resized and now it is wearable. It’s driving me nuts because it twists and I end up with the stone gouging my next finger. 

@galaxychaser - I can imagine you are feeling very low, with good reason.    All good suggestions have been made and I hope you know we are here for you to vent, talk, etc. at any time.  I want to remind you that if you can, maybe switch therapists.  Even great therapists don't always fit with the particular client.  Also consider that you are at a low point right now and maybe the therapist is a fit, but, you are not in a position to see that or that you don't have the energy to even think about how to think about things and change anything.  I am speaking from personal experience. Sometimes when one is at a place where you are, it seems like nothing is good and nothing is working and nothing will ever be good again.  Research shows that physical exercise helps when someone is depressed, but I know when someone is depressed, the hardest thing to do is get dressed and get outside or to a place to move around.  It is worth a try.  Also, helping someone else does really help us.  If you like animals, see about volunteering with them, even a few hours a week.  You may be physically alone right now, but you are not really alone because you have all of us.  Please keep posting so we can support you.  I'm going to call this a transition and believe for you that things will improve.  

• Love 13

@galaxychaser can you share what line is work you’re looking for and general area of the country? The ladies here are a great resource and may know of leads.  The company I’m with is always looking for good people.  Must have a degree to get in the door. ❤️

• Love 4

I know a few weeks ago we were all sharing stories about our brushes with the supernatural, and something happened last night that I have to share.  My sister facetimed my mom to show off my niece and nephews Halloween costumes.   The kids were playing and talking and my sister asked my almost 2 year old nephew to sing to grandma.  Out of all the songs he knows he decides on happy birthday.   He keeps on singing it.  Now today would have been my dads 65th birthday and he passed away before either one was born.  He was singing to his grandpa that he never met in person.   My dads spirit was in Texas last night and he is probably always hanging out near those kids.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, louannems said:

I believe Nexium just went generic, so that could be the reason in the huge price drop.

I was thinking the same thing. It is nice to have surprises like this because prescriptions can be darn expensive. I need to start looking at dental and vision plans also. My eye doctor and dentist are great, and I want to find plans they take because I do not want to go to another eye doctor or dentist. At least I will not have to deal with Medicaid anymore.

10 hours ago, louannems said:

Nexium has been generic for awhile. 

Price drops can happen for a bunch of different reasons. I could guess at a few, but it's good when they do!

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Y'all I took the first step!!! I made an appointment with an integrative physician (I hope this one really will try to get to the bottom of it, or refer me to someone!) to try to see if it's a thyroid problem or something else. I just can't imagine that a metabolism slow-down that quickly and dramatically is normal. I'm trying to be patient, and realize that it might take more than one doctor, and there may not be an easy answer, but I'm proud of myself for taking the first step! I think the fact that I have lived a healthy lifestyle (even more than before) for almost two years now without much positive change will have to make an impact. Last time I went, I was in the process of gaining the weight, and they had no further discussion after my thyroid test came back normal except, "remember to exercise."

this gain is truly shocking, though. I know lots of people out there are way bigger than me, and I don't mean to be insensitive to anyone else's struggles, but the strange thing is how it just happened one day and nothing I do helps. It usually depresses me too much to look back at pictures of me at my normal size, but I made this collage to show the doctor. These pictures were taken six months apart!!! In no way is this normal, especially for someone who didn't change their diet or exercise at all, and then made it even more healthy and barely got results. haha the first one is a little scandalous, but I was trying to find a picture in something form-fitting! Blurred out the boobs lol. 

Seriously, though. Six months apart!

IMG_4787.PNG

Hi @Christina87, HA at blurring out your boobs! That cracks me up. 

I hope you can find some answers to your questions. 50lbs in 6 months is a BIG change for someone who isn’t purposefully trying to gain weight/pregnant. (I think in another post you said 50lbs?)

To my naked eye the photos don’t look as if you gained that much, ONLY that the weight is concentrated in your mid section which makes women look bigger than they are (compared to me who’s an extreme pear and looks way slimmer photographed from straight on/the waist up). Do you think you may have a problem digesting gluten or something? I’m not a doctor but weight gain so fast isn’t normal. 

(((Hugs))) let us know how it goes.

• Love 6
On 10/3/2018 at 10:24 PM, Catfin said:

Has anyone on the board experienced a successful pregnancy after an ectopic? My favorite niece lost her pregnancy and tube a few weeks ago and I would love to tell her I “know” someone who did.  She’s such a cool person. 

I had surprise fraternal twins with just one ovary and tube. 

I am so sorry to hear about your niece. Losing a pregnancy, ovary, and tube is a lot to take on.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Hi @Christina87, HA at blurring out your boobs! That cracks me up. 

I hope you can find some answers to your questions. 50lbs in 6 months is a BIG change for someone who isn’t purposefully trying to gain weight/pregnant. (I think in another post you said 50lbs?)

To my naked eye the photos don’t look as if you gained that much, ONLY that the weight is concentrated in your mid section which makes women look bigger than they are (compared to me who’s an extreme pear and looks way slimmer photographed from straight on/the waist up). Do you think you may have a problem digesting gluten or something? I’m not a doctor but weight gain so fast isn’t normal. 

(((Hugs))) let us know how it goes.

@Scarlett45 thank you so much!!!! It's funny that you mention gluten, because I am actually gluten free! I am, however, a gluten free person who cheats occasionally (like tonight, when I went to Cheesecake Factory for my birthday!). It may be another food intolerance though? And you're right; it has mainly concentrated in my midsection. I can wear a good amount of my old tops, and I can squeeze into probably all of them, but I can't even squeeze into any of my old pants or skirts!

You were right about the 50 pounds! Not normal. In fact, I just randomly remembered right as it started, I was getting ready for a wedding and realized I looked pregnant. I laughed soooo hard and took a fake "baby bump" picture to send my friends as a joke! I thought it was just some weird water weight or something, but then the weight started piling on fast! That was the last time I wore my normal clothes. Now that you mentioned it, maybe I had just started having a bad reaction to food? Or maybe it really is gluten, and I need to totally cut it out! Hopefully the doctor will be able to figure it out!

haha I am jealous of people who gain weight because of a baby. It occurred to me that at least God gives you a little person to block your belly with. People who just gain weight don't get that! ???

i really appreciate having you ladies here who care, even though this certainly isn't the biggest problem in the world! Haha I looked up the "bump" picture again and laughed so hard!!! I am attaching it for your viewing pleasure. ???

YOU GUYS ARE SERIOUSLY THE BEST!!!

IMG_5001.PNG

IMG_5002.PNG

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

@Scarlett45 thank you so much!!!! It's funny that you mention gluten, because I am actually gluten free! I am, however, a gluten free person who cheats occasionally (like tonight, when I went to Cheesecake Factory for my birthday!). It may be another food intolerance though? And you're right; it has mainly concentrated in my midsection. I can wear a good amount of my old tops, and I can squeeze into probably all of them, but I can't even squeeze into any of my old pants or skirts!

You were right about the 50 pounds! Not normal. In fact, I just randomly remembered right as it started, I was getting ready for a wedding and realized I looked pregnant. I laughed soooo hard and took a fake "baby bump" picture to send my friends as a joke! I thought it was just some weird water weight or something, but then the weight started piling on fast! That was the last time I wore my normal clothes. Now that you mentioned it, maybe I had just started having a bad reaction to food? Or maybe it really is gluten, and I need to totally cut it out! Hopefully the doctor will be able to figure it out!

haha I am jealous of people who gain weight because of a baby. It occurred to me that at least God gives you a little person to block your belly with. People who just gain weight don't get that! ???

i really appreciate having you ladies here who care, even though this certainly isn't the biggest problem in the world! Haha I looked up the "bump" picture again and laughed so hard!!! I am attaching it for your viewing pleasure. ???

YOU GUYS ARE SERIOUSLY THE BEST!!!

IMG_5001.PNG

IMG_5002.PNG

It’s a lovely dress and you look good in it. Best wishes with discoveries that will help you benefit from good health. 

• Love 7

@Christina87 I mentioned gluten because of the abdominal weight gain. I notice if I cut out sugars/carbs (besides fresh produce) my waist will get smaller due to bloat disappearing. That’s a pretty dress by the way. Your arms and legs are still so thin, I’m thinking it’s a food reaction. 

Happy Birthday! I love Cheesecake Factory. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

So I've been feeling a little sorry for myself because my birthday was this past week and neither my sister nor my dad sent me a present (I know, I know, I'm five evidently). My sister did call me on my birthday. I finally remembered to listen to my voicemail on our landline and my dad (who is in a care facility suffering from dementia) left me a voicemail on my birthday where all he does is sing all three birthday songs to me (our extended family has a whole song cycle for birthdays) and then hangs up. Now I have to figure out how to preserve that message forever.

Try to do something especially nice for yourself for your birthday! You deserve it! Hugs and birthday wishes!  ?

• Love 8

@jcbrown I'm so sorry to hear that, but I'm glad your dad did call!!! My mom has a message from my late uncle that she has managed to save through several phones. I'm seeing her tomorrow, so I'll ask what she did! Hugs. You deserve to go out and find the best birthday cuisine you can find, guilt-free!

@Scarlett45 thanks!!! Haha I couldn't believe how huge my stomach was that day! I could manage to suck it in at that point, in the beginning, but now I really can't lol. I did take a picture today that looks a little closer to "before," which gave me hope, but I'm excited to get professional help. I hope your birthday went well, btw. Hope you got to do something really fun!!! And thank you so much, @Mindthinkr!!! It was such a beautiful dress that I bought on vacation specially for this wedding, and then I only got to wear it one season!!! Couldn't even squeeze into it last winter. Here's to hoping it will be worn again soon!

• Love 5

@Christina87 Thank you for sharing your "baby bump" picture with us.  Not being disrespectful  but you had the baby hold down pat where you have your hand under your bump.  I'm sure you surprised your friends with that picture.  BTW, your dress is very pretty.  

@jcbrown Happy Belated Birthday. 

I'm not sure if I shared this with you all but last week I had my 4 month follow up visit from my lung surgery back in May. (I had a weird fungus in the right upper lobe that was removed with the lobe.)  Well the CT scan showed no remnants of the fungus anywhere in my lungs & the rest of my lungs look fine which is great.  If I was able, I think I would have done cartwheels in his office. He even left it up to me if I wanted to come back in a year for a follow up. I am one of those people that if anything can go wrong, it does so it was great to have good news for a change. 

• Love 22
15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

So I've been feeling a little sorry for myself because my birthday was this past week and neither my sister nor my dad sent me a present (I know, I know, I'm five evidently). My sister did call me on my birthday. I finally remembered to listen to my voicemail on our landline and my dad (who is in a care facility suffering from dementia) left me a voicemail on my birthday where all he does is sing all three birthday songs to me (our extended family has a whole song cycle for birthdays) and then hangs up. Now I have to figure out how to preserve that message forever.

I’m very sorry your father has dementia- that’s very hard to watch someone you love suffer from. Yes preserve the message! Can you put the landline on speaker and then record it on your phone?

I expect presents on my bday too, so I’m 5 right along with you. 

I have the entire day to my self to do whatever I want, and I am watching reality tv wth my cats. I’m not cleaning, or cooking, or being productive. I may order pizza later. 

• Love 8

CHRISTINA87 Two books helped me a lot:  Wheat Belly and  Gluten-Free Girl.  Hopefully your library has copies and you can take a peek and see if any of it resonates with you.  (As educators, I know we read everything we can get our hands on to research!)                            

• Love 3
On 05/10/2018 at 10:24 PM, galaxychaser said:

TGIF everyone.

What are your degrees in? 

This may seem like an extreme solution, but have you considered emigration? Quite a few developed countries restrict immigration to those with tertiary qualifications, and unlike America, tertiary education is not automatically expected of all middle class and wealthier high school graduates.  

Edited by kokapetl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

I'm not sure if I shared this with you all but last week I had my 4 month follow up visit from my lung surgery back in May. (I had a weird fungus in the right upper lobe that was removed with the lobe.)  Well the CT scan showed no remnants of the fungus anywhere in my lungs & the rest of my lungs look fine which is great.  If I was able, I think I would have done cartwheels in his office. He even left it up to me if I wanted to come back in a year for a follow up. I am one of those people that if anything can go wrong, it does so it was great to have good news for a change. 

Wonderful news, @Barb23! So happy for you.  ??‍♂️

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Best thing I’ve heard all day. 

Happy Belated Birthdays to all that I’ve missed. 

To the rest of you I wish a happy and peaceful day. 

• Love 5

@galaxychaser, I'm so sorry to hear that you're in a rough spot.  Please know that we care about you and enjoy having you here.  Glad to hear you're seeking help. 

@Nysha I'm so sorry about your sister. 

To everyone...I have been super busy with work, mom stuff etc.  I finally got some time to check in. 

I had posted a few weeks ago about the large group of cats living under my huge barn/shed thing.  I spoke to my neighbor who is a huge animal lover and she said she will call the ASPCA and discuss how to handle them.  

The update on the cats gets weirder...now a few more cats have arrived and they are pure white!  I think there are 3 or 4 of them.  Stunning!  So I have a backyard full of these unusual colored cats!  I have pure gray, pure white and beautiful black & white spots.  I'm beginning to wonder if someone is dumping the cats in the acres of weeks behind my house.  Not a cat person but most wild cats that I have seen are not pure white, pure gray and pretty black & white spotted.  They are also not alarmed by people or other animals.  Yesterday morning a flock of wild turkeys was hanging out in my yard and the cats literally sat and watched them as they came within inches of them. 

What kind of cats are these????  Where are they coming from???

I barely know my neighbor so hoping she will follow up.  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Marigold said:

I barely know my neighbor so hoping she will follow up.  

I hope so for both you and the cats. All white cats are usually quite adoptable because they are unusual (to my knowledge). Interesting that they were so chill with the turkeys. 

• Love 6

Dreading the Monday return to work tomorrow.  Last week was a rough one. Our old doggy died, just short of 12 years. It was peaceful and quick, and we miss him terribly. A cousin died unexpectedly at 45, and so attended those services.  So good to see extended family, such a horrible reason.  Mom turned 90 recently and has started to have failing health. She’s been independent up until recently but I’m coming to terms that we can’t turn back time. So enjoying the people my kids are growing into, so hopeful for their future. Grieving adult stepkid’s choices and the fallout on her very young ones. 

We we need a vacation retreat for the Small Talk crew. 

• Love 17
36 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Dreading the Monday return to work tomorrow.  Last week was a rough one. Our old doggy died, just short of 12 years. It was peaceful and quick, and we miss him terribly. A cousin died unexpectedly at 45, and so attended those services.  So good to see extended family, such a horrible reason.  Mom turned 90 recently and has started to have failing health. She’s been independent up until recently but I’m coming to terms that we can’t turn back time. So enjoying the people my kids are growing into, so hopeful for their future. Grieving adult stepkid’s choices and the fallout on her very young ones. 

We we need a vacation retreat for the Small Talk crew. 

So sorry about your doggie, you cousin, and your mom. Dealing with aging parents is really tough.

Yes! A Small Talk vacation retreat is a great idea.

• Love 4