Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I decided to ask for help with the titles for the locked threads.

I’m hoping it will be seen as a first step good faith gesture that we want to keep this forum and we’re willing to work towards turning it green.  💚

Thank you.  I was hoping someone would know how to do this.  At least we know have some documentation that we are willing to try.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Thank you.  I was hoping someone would know how to do this.  At least we know have some documentation that we are willing to try.

Well, the Josh and Anna thread is open with engaging name...Josh and Anna.

• Like 1
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, Iguessnot said:

I'm well over 50 but differ on the other stats, so that should count towards diversity.

For sure, diversity has a broad meaning.

From my experience you can line up 10 over 50, Caucasian females and that is where the similarity ends.

• Like 12
(edited)

I'm really confused by all of this. Badges, thread names, rules, red lights...... I'm trying to figure out what I can or can't say as I like other threads/shows on this site. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 9
  • Hugs 1

Our blizzard has finally past, and it is sunny today.  Sunny but very cold.  I live at altitude, so it is a very dry cold.  I'm going to find out soon how the same temps feel at sea level----on a ship in the North Sea.   I'm guessing it will feel much colder.  I'm finding it is much, much harder to pack for a vacation in very a cold climate as opposed to a beach vacation.  You don't need to figure out how to pack snow boots and a big jacket to go to the beach.

• Like 14
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

For sure, diversity has a broad meaning.

From my experience you can line up 10 over 50, Caucasian females and that is where the similarity ends.

True. And I'm not Caucasian so I'll make that line even more colorful. 

• Like 15

I've been away for a while...I am so confused. Is the site under new ownership? New mods? Has it been taken over by fundies upset that we "discriminate" against them?

What the hell happened?

• Like 7
  • Hugs 3
  • LOL 1
6 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I've been away for a while...I am so confused. Is the site under new ownership? New mods? Has it been taken over by fundies upset that we "discriminate" against them?

What the hell happened?

I'm still trying to figure it all out, seems like  most of us are. 

• Like 11
  • Hugs 1
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Does anyone know what "challenger" means? I have my own thoughts but am interested in hearing yours.

image.png.72658354045263ee4781c740470cb895.png

Space travel?

• LOL 14
(edited)
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Does anyone know what "challenger" means? I have my own thoughts but am interested in hearing yours.

It says in the body of the text: 

"This is a challenging discussion for us..." 

So I guess we're supposed to bounce off that? I also suppose that any of Josh's nicknames are now off the table. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

It says in the body of the text: 

"This is a challenging discussion for us..." 

So I guess we're supposed to bounce off that? I also suppose that any of Josh's nicknames are now off the table. 

Thanks.

Good question. Josh definitely leans into smug, he is a felon, he is a member of the family, but I have no idea if we're allowed to use humor with these truths.

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
(edited)
32 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think it means that Dr Spengler was awarded the Challenger Badge for starting the new Josh and Anna thread.

IMG_7770.jpeg

Edited by Joan of Argh
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 7

Also this

"You may see us asking culture check questions in certain threads or forums. It’s our hope that these gentle nudges from moderators and the community team will encourage reflection and mindfulness among members.

For instance, moderators might ask, "How is this thread/conversation making our community a kinder and more inclusive space?" or “Is there room for more empathy and understanding in the way we're communicating our points?” Expect to find these questions at the top of threads and also in response to certain posts.

Using Hashtags to Signal Our Collective Journey
To aid in this journey, we’re encouraging the use of hashtags to flag content that celebrates diversity (#CelebrateDiversity), expresses concerns (#CommunityConcerns), or shares curiosities (#CommunityCuriosities). These tags will help moderators and the community identify and support posts that represent a welcoming and respectful culture, ensuring all voices are heard and valued.

If you have any concerns, questions, or feedback, please feel free to reach out. You can directly contact the Community Managers via PM @CM-CrispMtAir and @cm-soupsipper post in Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions, or enter culture check questions or suggestions via this Google Form. "

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/143541-culture-check/#comment-8292596

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 6

So, with the Josh and Anna thread we’re supposed to be respectful of minority attracted people? Sounds like the new leadership is pissed they didn’t get the university job. 

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7

Maybe because they used the term "Karens"?  

Also, Hi all.  I am a long time lurker, but this has brought me out of the shadows. That won't last long, though.

• Like 12
  • Hugs 2
  • Thanks 2
54 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Also this

"You may see us asking culture check questions in certain threads or forums. It’s our hope that these gentle nudges from moderators and the community team will encourage reflection and mindfulness among members.

For instance, moderators might ask, "How is this thread/conversation making our community a kinder and more inclusive space?" or “Is there room for more empathy and understanding in the way we're communicating our points?” Expect to find these questions at the top of threads and also in response to certain posts.

To aid in this journey, we’re encouraging the use of hashtags to flag content that celebrates diversity (#CelebrateDiversity), expresses concerns (#CommunityConcerns), or shares curiosities (#CommunityCuriosities). These tags will help moderators and the community identify and support posts that represent a welcoming and respectful culture, ensuring all voices are heard and valued.

If you have any concerns, questions, or feedback, please feel free to reach out. You can directly contact the Community Managers via PM @CM-CrispMtAir and @cm-soupsipper post in Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions, or enter culture check questions or suggestions via this Google Form. "

I just rolled my eye so much I saw my brain. Fyi.. not much there just a bunch of air.i

• Like 1
  • LOL 15
11 minutes ago, thehorseofpower said:

There is now a post at the top of this thread that's "recommended" by a moderator and has what I guess is supposed to be a thought-provoking question from the mod attached to it. I'm more confused than ever.

The original quoted post is from a user who seems to think this forum is okay but that sometimes posters are too fixated on harping on certain things, to the point where it makes posters seem "unbalanced." The mod's thought-provoking question at the top of this page states "How can this community talk about hard tropes with kindness? And what is a community really saying when we talk about unbalanced mental health?"

Um....does the mod realize the post they quoted is, if anything, being unkind to other posters in stating why they think the forum is in trouble? No one would be saying anyone was "unbalanced" if the mods hadn't red lighted this forum and confused the heck out of everyone in trying to figure out why. 

This is crazy-making. 

And once again the blame is being placed on the Mods who didn’t have anything to do with the posts you’re complaining about.

The recommended post was done by a Community Organizer, she isn’t a Mod.

Everything you’ve pointed to are actions taken by the “Community Organizers”

Can we please keep that straight?

We have 2 Mods for this entire site, they’re doing the work which up until December was done by 50 mods, give them a break!

They don’t make the rules and they aren’t doing any of the things you’re accusing them of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1
2 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

And once again the blame is being placed on the Mods who didn’t have anything to do with the posts you’re complaining about.

We have 2 Mods for this entire site, they’re doing the work which up until December was done by 50 mods, give them a break!

They don’t make the rules and they aren’t doing any of the things you’re accusing them of.

Thanks for this information. It is really all very confusing for many of us with the limited information on the recent changes and red light warning. I appreciate your information and any insight from anyone on how to move this forward.

• Like 15
(edited)
15 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

As I read the guidelines and the (few) statements provided by new management, there seems to be exactly zero space left for snark or even gentle ribbing on this site.  I think gentle humor can be a life-saver considering the state of the world these days.  Grim re-education is not what I'm looking for on this forum.

Have you read threads for shows 90 Day Fiancé, Sister Wives and Little People Big World?  I frequent them and they are extremely snarky.  I can’t compare them to the various threads on Counting On, because I rarely frequent them, except for the Prayer Closet.  I’m wondering if it’s due to those shows still airing and Counting On not still airing.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4
29 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Have you read threads for shows 90 Day Fiancé, Sister Wives and Little People Big World?  I frequent them and they are extremely snarky.  I can’t compare them to the various threads on Counting On, because I rarely frequent them, except for the Prayer Closet.  I’m wondering if it’s due to those shows still airing and Counting On not still airing.

I think it's due to someone/ multiple people complaining about this particular thread, and not about the others? I would think the other threads will get noticed eventually (or perhaps not; who knows?).

The Bateses are no longer on the air, but their thread hasn't gotten red lit, even though the snark there is in the same vein as here (minus a felon), and some of their thread titles are similarly snarky (Is it mean to refer to John Webster as Lurch? Is "frumping" offensive?). 

• Like 12
  • Useful 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Those threads are super snarky. I know I follow some. So is it now okay to mock Darcey Silva but not Josh Duggar? Or one of the people on my 600 lb life? Really?

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 11
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

I apologize for misspeaking. The post I was talking about, though, says "moderator note" right at the top of it. Not "community organizer" note, which is why I used that term. I will fully admit I have no idea what the difference is between the two groups. The note at the top of this site as a whole talks about the changing role of moderators, not community organizers...so if there is a significant difference between the two, the official language does not make that obvious. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m wondering if it’s due to those shows still airing and Counting On not still airing.  

More likely it’s due to do someone  feeling that snarking on the Duggars is discriminating  against their religion, while the Kody Brown family has admitted they are no longer attending their church and they don’t feel they are practicing polygamy as an expression of faith. Just a failed lifestyle. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 3
25 minutes ago, thehorseofpower said:

I apologize for misspeaking. The post I was talking about, though, says "moderator note" right at the top of it. Not "community organizer" note, which is why I used that term. I will fully admit I have no idea what the difference is between the two groups. The note at the top of this site as a whole talks about the changing role of moderators, not community organizers...so if there is a significant difference between the two, the official language does not make that obvious. 

(I know it’s confusing and sorry I misspoke as well, I meant Community Manager not organizer)

Those notices have always been called “Moderator Notes” because in the old system Mods were assigned forums that they were responsible for, Scarlett and deaja used to look after this forum so it was their forum.

That’s when Silverstormm was the Community Manager and she had a team of 50 mods so Mods were assigned several forums to personally look after and they dealt directly with the posters in their forums.

They aren’t doing it that way anymore, we have 2 mods for hundreds of forums which have all different problems, reports, spoilers, threads that need to be moved, merged, hidden and bunch of other tasks that they perform.

The Community Managers are communicating in the forums and doing the Moderator Notes or Directives etc not the Mods.

If it’s posted by someone with a CM- in front of their name that’s a community manager not a mod.

• Useful 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

More likely it’s due to do someone  feeling that snarking on the Duggars is discriminating  against their religion, while the Kody Brown family has admitted they are no longer attending their church and they don’t feel they are practicing polygamy as an expression of faith. Just a failed lifestyle. 

So faith is off the table? 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 2

I'm afraid I'm not following the questioning in the pinned note. Is the original poster being gently chided for using the term unbalanced? Is the note agreeing with what the original poster seemed to be saying (ie the idea that criticism can be blunt and sometimes repetitive in the threads)?

Also, to what extent can an internet community be held accountable for the comments of single members, especially in an electronic forum where we are both strangers and not at the same time (Schrodigner's buddies?) The term unbalanced was used by a single poster and not elaborated upon by others. Does that make it a community action? Or is the fault in the community for not critiquing the member for a lack of sensitivity to mental health? 

• Like 13
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

Oh my goodness. Posters are being put on blast if their comment doesn't meet some standard? How is that cool?

Similar to what another poster said, this is starting to feel more strange than confusing.

• Like 17
5 hours ago, KingsCup said:

Oh come on, there are not enough eye roller emojis in the world for this. Not everything has to be a teambuilding exercise. Why can't they just rename the threads? Or delete the snarky parts of the current titles?

this is exhausting.

Especially since they haven’t even told us exactly what the issue was with those titles. What is wrong with “holy goalie?” We don’t read minds, we need clear guidance.

5 hours ago, crazy8s said:

Also this

Let me say that I HATE hashtags. I don’t use Xitter for a reason, and I loved that TwoP had a rule prohibiting hashtags and text speak. 

• Like 13
5 hours ago, beckie said:

This place was my go to when I was having a rough day. Specifically this forum and the royals, I could get lost in and feel better. Then they shut down the royals with little to no explanation,  and now they're trying to do it with this one?

I'll download discord, I've never liked reddit, but will go there if I have to. I feel like I'm being excluded from one of my favorite places for no reason.  I'm so sad. 

Same, on all points. It’s sad and frustrating, because they won’t tell us what we’ve done wrong.

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Same, on all points. It’s sad and frustrating, because they won’t tell us what we’ve done wrong.

I think we're supposed to infer what's wrong from the "unbalanced" and "Karens in training" comment. 🤷

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
4 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

But they DO have the responsibility to explain to us specifically what the issues are with our posts. How can we make changes if we don’t know that?

• Like 7