Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

55 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I thought you’d say your cats  name is Jill Dillard 🤣

Ha, ha, she’s almost as bad!

@Cinnabon, one of my previous cats was my shadow, and loved nothing more for me to hold her, especially when she was older. But she was very sweet about it, and probably a little bit anxious in general. But if I moved her off my lap, she’d just go back to sleep wherever I put her. But this one will not be denied! 

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I have a bag of clothes I need to get rid of, if you don't mind me asking, how much do you really make off of Poshmark?  I am planning a trip to Orlando and Disney in December and can use some extra bucks.  Drinking around the world is not going to be cheap.

You know I always support trips to Walt Disney World! I am going to be using my Poshmark money for my Disney fund TOO! steve carell disney GIF by Saturday Night Live

I make decent money off of Poshmark- caveat, brand names go quicker, and things may sit awhile but they do sell. Looking back on my previous sales, formal dresses, shoes and purses do really well, tops not so much. I ended up selling for about 30-40% retail price. But I had some things sit for six months.

For me it’s worth it. The real time is taking the photos and making the listings. In the two hours I plan to spend on this tomorrow I will have about 10-15 listings. Once I get a notification something has sold, I pull the item out, print the label (I usually use a box I already have or use a mailer) and drop it off on my way out the next day. A lot less leg work than in person drop offs or pick ups. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Update. Bernie sadly lost his life last night. Thank you to all of you who prayed for him. 

I am very sorry for your loss and your sister’s loss of her father. Bernie was certainly a good person to have so many people invested in his well being. 

• Love 6

I have thought about this all day. Two fractions of family were deciding (fighting) on how/if Bernie should live. Obviously God made the decision for them, as he really does get the final say. There will be no suffering.
Thank you all for the support you have given me during this difficult time. 🍃🌺🍃

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 24
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have thought about this all day. Two fractions of family were deciding (fighting) on how/if Bernie should live. Obviously God made the decision for them, as he really does get the final say. There will be no suffering.
Thank you all for the support you have given me during this difficult time. 🍃🌺🍃

You and your family are in my thoughts. 

• Love 4

Cosmo went to the groomer today and he looks so much thinner! He was such a good baby man. 

But guess what I learned? It seems when I am not home, if Cosmo is out in the living room with the cats, they mess with him! My Mom said she saw Lady Reese WACKING at Cosmo’s ear for no reason after I left to hang out with my friend (Target and Walmart run for household stuff). Poor Cosmo- I have never seen anything like this. It’s funny but not funny. 

83C19642-A925-4AD1-B70C-C9FBF7F65B27.jpeg

B9BCC4B2-84BE-478E-94FE-B593A075B736.jpeg

A09BC854-1F97-448F-BF7E-7A2C41DD687F.jpeg

14D09057-4ECC-460A-A743-24ACAC06B628.jpeg

• Love 20

I just read an interesting article online. It was the perspective of a 25 year single lady who is overweight and looking for love on dating apps. She explains how rude commenters are about her weight and then went on to say some dating app has asked her to do some online ads, to represent average and up sized women, for their app.

I'm not sure why this intrigued me so, as I'm a skinny, married, 50 something who never used a dating app.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the young woman who is standing up for herself and others like her. Go her.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I just read an interesting article online. It was the perspective of a 25 year single lady who is overweight and looking for love on dating apps. She explains how rude commenters are about her weight and then went on to say some dating app has asked her to do some online ads, to represent average and up sized women, for their app.

I'm not sure why this intrigued me so, as I'm a skinny, married, 50 something who never used a dating app.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the young woman who is standing up for herself and others like her. Go her.

Yeah there are a number of specific dating sites for plus size women. A friend of mine spent some time on WooPlus and was pretty pleased with it. Nothing serious came of it but she had fun. 

Women looking for hetero relationships can get a LOT of attention online based on sheer numbers alone, but that attention comes rude ass comments about everything from your weight to your race.

Depending on where you live the the USA though, and the demographics of men you want to date, being overweight/plus size could mean very little or it could be a stumbling block. Also most of the USA is overweight these days- if you’re 5’10 and a size 16- you may not stick out, if your 5’2 and a size 26 you may. And with anything online you have to watch out for the creepy fetishist guys who only want to message you BECAUSE you are xyz. 

But I have had a lot of fun on dating apps it really has been a positive experience for me in the grand scheme of things. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 3/19/2022 at 8:01 AM, Jeeves said:

Aw, Cosmo's so adorbs. Too bad about the naughty cats, though. Thanks for sharing the Cosmo photos. That face! ❤️

Cats do seem to relish harassing dogs...Both our indoor cat, Cora, and our semi-feral PorchCat love to give Pippin (the Pappillion) a hard time. PorchCat loves to sprawl herself over the porch steps when Pippin goes outside to do his business, then whack at him when he tries to get back up the steps. She's actually very gentle about it, but he's still terrified to walk past her, and she takes up pretty much the length of the step when she stretches out, so he can't go around her. Cora just lurks behind the sliding door curtain and pounces at him when he comes past.

• LOL 9
10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Cats do seem to relish harassing dogs...Both our indoor cat, Cora, and our semi-feral PorchCat love to give Pippin (the Pappillion) a hard time. PorchCat loves to sprawl herself over the porch steps when Pippin goes outside to do his business, then whack at him when he tries to get back up the steps. She's actually very gentle about it, but he's still terrified to walk past her, and she takes up pretty much the length of the step when she stretches out, so he can't go around her. Cora just lurks behind the sliding door curtain and pounces at him when he comes past.

Aww Pippin just wants peace to go potty. 

• Love 6
On 3/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I was planning on being in Morocco this week, although I’m bummed to miss out, I still look the week off and have been enjoying a “staycation”.

Hi all.  I just got back from a week in London and Paris, inspired by @Scarlett45.  When Scarlett booked her Morocco trip last year it inspired me to travel!  I booked a trip 9-day trip to Greece, for this week, but it was cancelled in February.  I quickly pivoted to London and Paris, last week, and it was wonderful!  It was my first visit to Europe...the first of many, I'm sure!  I'm already planning to go back to London next year!

So, here's a shout-out and thanks to @Scarlett45 for inspiring my trip!  I hope you get to Morocco sooner than later!

• LOL 1
  • Love 22
18 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Hi all.  I just got back from a week in London and Paris, inspired by @Scarlett45.  When Scarlett booked her Morocco trip last year it inspired me to travel!  I booked a trip 9-day trip to Greece, for this week, but it was cancelled in February.  I quickly pivoted to London and Paris, last week, and it was wonderful!  It was my first visit to Europe...the first of many, I'm sure!  I'm already planning to go back to London next year!

So, here's a shout-out and thanks to @Scarlett45 for inspiring my trip!  I hope you get to Morocco sooner than later!

I'm still trying to decide whether to go to England this spring...We have not had a break in a couple of years at all, and I'm getting a bit antsy.

We had planned a 10 day road trip to see our younger son and his new house, but Mr Jyn was really nervous about leaving my Mom (even though the ladies who help her freed up their schedules for the time period so they could be there at a moment's notice if she needed anything aside from the time they are usually there).

He also didn't want to leave his bees for too long, and was a bit nervous about leaving the cat for that long, even though my daughter and/ or son in law could stop by pretty much daily to give her a little bit of attention.

We settled on flying down for a week and leaving out parts of the road trip, but he bought the tickets the other day without consulting me, and now we are down to flying in on a Tuesday late evening and flying out Saturday early morning, giving us essentially three days to visit.

I was a bit disappointed by that, but I get his concerns. I haven't been to England to see my cousins in six years, and two of them have passed away in the interim, so I'd really love to go back, but the state of the world makes me a bit nervous at the moment, and Mr Jyn has always refused to go to England with me because he has an absolute phobia (so it seems) of "putting someone out" by staying with them, but doesn't want to spend the money on hotels.

Plus it doesn't seem fair for me to get a vacation when he doesn't. On the other hand, he does go on regular fishing trips of 4-5 days in Virginia throughout the summer, but that's camping, so it's pretty low cost aside from the gas to drive there...I'm just not sure what I want to do 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
Breaking up a massive wall of text into what still turned into a bit of a novel...Sorry!
  • Love 8
24 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

I am so glad you had such a wonderful time! What was your favorite part?

10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm still trying to decide whether to go to England this spring...We have not had a break in a couple of years at all, and I'm getting a bit antsy.

We had planned a 10 day road trip to see our younger son and his new house, but Mr Jyn was really nervous about leaving my Mom (even though the ladies who help her freed up their schedules for the time period so they could be there at a moment's notice if she needed anything aside from the time they are usually there).

He also didn't want to leave his bees for too long, and was a bit nervous about leaving the cat for that long, even though my daughter and/ or son in law could stop by pretty much daily to give her a little bit of attention.

We settled on flying down for a week and leaving out parts of the road trip, but he bought the tickets the other day without consulting me, and now we are down to flying in on a Tuesday late evening and flying out Saturday early morning, giving us essentially three days to visit.

I was a bit disappointed by that, but I get his concerns. I haven't been to England to see my cousins in six years, and two of them have passed away in the interim, so I'd really love to go back, but the state of the world makes me a bit nervous at the moment, and Mr Jyn has always refused to go to England with me because he has an absolute phobia (so it seems) of "putting someone out" by staying with them, but doesn't want to spend the money on hotels.

Plus it doesn't seem fair for me to get a vacation when he doesn't. On the other hand, he does go on regular fishing trips of 4-5 days in Virginia throughout the summer, but that's camping, so it's pretty low cost aside from the gas to drive there...I'm just not sure what I want to do

(regarding the bolded) It seems to me if he does not WANT to go on the trip to England its not unfair that you go and see your cousins. That sounds really important to you, and if he stays home to cover that front, it would give you both peace of mind.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I did so many of the typical tourist things (Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Buckingham Palace, the Louvre, Versailles).  They were all my favorites!  LOL

But the most fun was probably going to the top of the Eiffel Tower.  It was such a bucket list thing to do, and it was surreal to be actually doing it.  I even had a partial view of it from my hotel room, which made my stay extra-special. 

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 18
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

(regarding the bolded) It seems to me if he does not WANT to go on the trip to England its not unfair that you go and see your cousins. That sounds really important to you, and if he stays home to cover that front, it would give you both peace of mind.

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I'm just in an anxious state of mind with feeling as though the world may be on the brink of disaster, so part of it is just me not being sure how much I want to be away from everyone here -as much as I really want to see everyone over there, if that makes sense. And I've always really wanted to show England to Mr Jyn, but he's always dug his heels in.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I’m glad you had a good time!

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yeah, that makes sense. I guess I'm just in an anxious state of mind with feeling as though the world may be on the brink of disaster, so part of it is just me not being sure how much I want to be away from everyone here -as much as I really want to see everyone over there, if that makes sense. And I've always really wanted to show England to Mr Jyn, but he's always dug his heels in.

I have told Mr lookeyloo I don't want him to do anything with me that he isn't in a hundred percent because it wouldn't be fun for either one of us.  Sometimes I do things without him.  He is fine with that.  I hope you can get to that point too.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, CouchTater said:

#Jealous

• Love 8
23 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

I wanted to stop in here and thank all of you gals (and guys) for everything you do to keep these threads here on Counting On moving along. For all of the time and effort you put into reseachering and posting your findings. For your insightful, funny and sarcastic comments! And for being so friendly and open here. I don't post very often but I just wanted you all to know that you are appreciated for everything. Thank you!!!!

1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Seconding @Spazamanaz, this is a pretty exceptional forum. I always get weird looks from friends when I mention how great the Duggar discussion boards are but what do they know? :-)

You guys are amazing. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

Seconding @Spazamanaz, this is a pretty exceptional forum. I always get weird looks from friends when I mention how great the Duggar discussion boards are but what do they know? :-)

I've learned a shit ton on these boards. I hope I have also contributed to the edification of some. I'm more than a snark machine. 😀

• Love 20

Hi fellow Small Talkers:

I’ve been asked by my dear friend(who is also my sister in law’s sister) to pray for her younger sister, who just turned 65 in January.  The younger sister has had a host of auto-immune disorders (not sure of exact diagnosis).  She has been on oxygen for a few years, but right now the main concern are blood clots that are forming and the doctors have been unable to dissolve.  
My friend, who is the oldest in the family, was quite upset when she called me.  It does not look good, but for any small talker that would be inclined to offer prayers, we would most certainly appreciate them.  
The woman’s name who is sick is Carol.

Thank you so much!

• Love 18

I'm starting to get a little nervous. I bought a fake fiddle fig tree for our patio. And to make matters more weird, the studio on Project Runway is Duggal Greenhouse.

I feel like real life is Duggar punking me.

• LOL 5
On 3/24/2022 at 9:47 AM, Jeeves said:

I'm in the waiting room at my local car repair shop. They do collision repair as well as mechanical maintenance and repairs. The password for the guest wifi is bodyparts. Which calls to mind all those true crime shows I watch. 😂

Cue law and order theme 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

Cue law and order theme 

Speaking of! One of our favorite local restaurants has restrooms on the second level, where most of the seating is on the first level. We were there a few years back (pre-pandemic) and I went up to the mezzanine to get to the restroom. The mezzanine has seating and a bar area but it is not generally open and it not terribly well lit as a result. The restrooms are down a dim hallway. So I went in, and the light turned on automatically, and was in a stall on this very deserted level of the place. I actually thought, "you know, this could be the beginning of a Law & Order episode." And the door to the restroom opened. Dun Dun!

(It was fine--I lived, but it was a bit of a creepy moment. Maybe I need to watch less TV. 😂)

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

On the Lonely Js thread, there was discussion about how the teens of previous generations were able to sneak around and do so many things, whereas the teens of this current generation are constantly being tracked by their parents.

The kicker is, the teens of those previous generations who engaged in more independence-building activities are also the (overly protective) parents of this crop of teens. 

What factors lead to this change in mindset? 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

On the Lonely Js thread, there was discussion about how the teens of previous generations were able to sneak around and do so many things, whereas the teens of this current generation are constantly being tracked by their parents.

The kicker is, the teens of those previous generations who engaged in more independence-building activities are also the (overly protective) parents of this crop of teens. 

I’m Gen X, so most of my friends with kids have been fairly relaxed about parenting and let their kids roam outside at times. In my experience, it’s the older millennials who started helicopter parenting, not Gen X.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Mostly perception. Today's parents think the world is a more dangerous place. Each generation was privy to more frequent news and more global news, so each generation tightened the reins a bit.

Other contributing factors are there were more stay at home parents back in the day, so kids had more unstructured time in their own neighborhoods, families often only had one car so the stay at home parent couldn't cart their kids around, household chores took more time so parents had less free time to hover, etc.

But really, its all about perception not matching up with reality.

• Love 10

I lived in a tiny town in Oregon when my kids were 6, 4, and 3. I would let the two older ones take 2 pop cans worth 5 cents each across the park to the tiny grocery store to redeem them and buy penny candy. After 6 months of trying to potty train the 3 year old I finally got smart and let her take a pop can to the store (with me) every time she used the toilet. 3 days and she was out of training pants.

• Love 18

Congratulations @skatelady on Benjamin's arrival!  I hope mom & baby are doing well!

I have my first two procedures tomorrow for my cardiology workup.  I get the ECG first, and then the monitor placement.  I've had an ECG before as part of a stress test, so I'm relatively ok with that.  The monitor, on the other hand, is making me a bit nervous.  I have an allergy to the adhesives used in medical tape/bandages, and I have to wear that sucker for two weeks.  If I get blood drawn or even wear a Band-Aid for too long, my skin turns an angry red, and I get raised welts.  It's not pretty, and quite frankly, it's irritating & itchy.  At least with this appointment, I can go by myself since it's all non-invasive.  Mr. Six has to take me to the hospital for the table test, but that's not for two weeks.  I can't wait to get all of this behind me so I can try to enjoy the nice spring weather and time with the kittens.  Hope everyone has a great week!!

• Love 14
1 hour ago, skatelady said:

I'M OFFICIALLY A GRANDMA NOW!

Congratulations. There is nothing like that new baby smell. 

@sixlets I have similar issues with tapes, band aids etc. I hope they can find another way to do it so you aren’t uncomfortable or itchy. More than that I hope they get good results. Best wishes. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, sixlets said:

I get the ECG first, and then the monitor placement.  I've had an ECG before as part of a stress test, so I'm relatively ok with that.  The monitor, on the other hand, is making me a bit nervous.  I have an allergy to the adhesives used in medical tape/bandages, and I have to wear that sucker for two weeks.  If I get blood drawn or even wear a Band-Aid for too long, my skin turns an angry red, and I get raised welts.  It's not pretty, and quite frankly, it's irritating & itchy.  At least with this appointment, I can go by myself since it's all non-invasive.  Mr. Six has to take me to the hospital for the table test, but that's not for two weeks.  I can't wait to get all of this behind me so I can try to enjoy the nice spring weather and time with the kittens.  Hope everyone has a great week!!

The ECG should be nothing.  I once had two a day for a weekend and then had one every three months.  I'm down now to once every 9 months!!  I have trouble with bandaids and such, but the adhesive for monitors doesn't bother me.  It's different from bandaids.  At any rate tell them about the bandaids so they can use something kinder if they have it.  Also ask what to do if you start breaking out.  

Good luck.

• Love 8
Just now, Absolom said:

The ECG should be nothing.  I once had two a day for a weekend and then had one every three months.  I'm down now to once every 9 months!!  I have trouble with bandaids and such, but the adhesive for monitors doesn't bother me.  It's different from bandaids.  At any rate tell them about the bandaids so they can use something kinder if they have it.  Also ask what to do if you start breaking out.  

Good luck.

I just got an Apple Watch and it’s supposed to be able to take an ECG. I haven’t tried it yet. Interesting if it works!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4