Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

I had a story to share with you guys. I was on the highway when I saw a car with strange bumper stickers. One of them said LOSER (in big letters with maybe a comic sans font) and underneath it said Luke 9:24 (there may have been a cross, too).  I'm still confused about what I it meant.  I thought someone here might be able to explain it. 

5 hours ago, Temperance said:

I had a story to share with you guys. I was on the highway when I saw a car with strange bumper stickers. One of them said LOSER (in big letters with maybe a comic sans font) and underneath it said Luke 9:24 (there may have been a cross, too).  I'm still confused about what I it meant.  I thought someone here might be able to explain it. 

Hmmm. Looked it up.

"Luke 9:24New International Version (NIV)

24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it."

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Hmmm. Looked it up.

24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it."

Ugh. That's only slightly less obnoxious than "I survived Roe vs. Wade."

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Ugh. That's only slightly less obnoxious than "I survived Roe vs. Wade."

What's I think is ironic is that for the people that are obnoxious enough to proudly wear that shirt, the world would be a better place if their parent had used birth control.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2017 at 7:48 AM, Westiepeach said:

Hmmm. Looked it up.

Thanks! I also looked it up, but couldn't figure out what they were trying to say. 

20 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Thanks! I also looked it up, but couldn't figure out what they were trying to say. 

Me neither. I just looked it up and posted it in the hopes that somebody could translate it.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I think it's supposed to mean, say no to things you want for yourself and follow Jesus?

Hey Arwen, not stalking you, just wanted to let you know so many of us are thinking of you and sending good vibes and prayers. Update us when you are up to it, hope all is well. Much Love.

• Love 4

The one they keep in a shed out back. Grandma Duggar feeds him.

They keep him there because he knows how ridiculous their lifestyle is. They can't let him out to talk to regular people.

• Love 4

Took my oldest son (19) to the orthodontist.  X rays show his jaw is shifted to the left and misaligned. So, we went over 3 options to fix his teeth.  

That's when I thought of all of you.  One option was a surgery like Derick.  The orthodontist said it was a huge surgery  and recovery is extensive. She said she recommends it in extreme need cases only because it is that involved.  

This was going over my son's head a bit so I said to him "Like that Duggar Derick surgery"  He immediately said "next option

• Love 23
5 hours ago, Marigold said:

Took my oldest son (19) to the orthodontist.  X rays show his jaw is shifted to the left and misaligned. So, we went over 3 options to fix his teeth.  

That's when I thought of all of you.  One option was a surgery like Derick.  The orthodontist said it was a huge surgery  and recovery is extensive. She said she recommends it in extreme need cases only because it is that involved.  

This was going over my son's head a bit so I said to him "Like that Duggar Derick surgery"  He immediately said "next option

No pain, no gain? 

• Love 1

Hey you guys, my peeps, my pals! 

@Arwen Evenstar, I'm sooo happy to see you able to post so often.  I was afraid you wouldn't feel up to it and we'd just have to wonder how you were doing.  I'm very excited about your progress!

We did it:  Sold my high ceilings/big windows/spacious house and moved to the shoebox that was my childhood home.  These things all happened simultaneously over a 2 month span:  fix up a house to sell while packing it, preparing room in new/old house to move in (all my parents THINGS were still here - closets/cabinets/kitchen drawers FULL), trying desperately to get some things done BEFORE moving in (ie ripping a HORRIBLE leaky, nasty bathroom out and starting over...) AND completing 3 movie orders back to back to back, and:  the move.  It was insanity.   Seriously, every single thing in my home was packed and/or moved, and I'm sitting in my workroom all alone with my machines, begging for time.   We're here now, I've been rehomed.

BUT.  Last year we made reservations for the entire month of July '17 in NC, in the mountains.  I know other people have it worse, but summers here are brutal - hot and humid and it sucks.  When we made the reservations, we had no idea how much in our lives would change between then and now.  [I should have cancelled, as every room in the new/old house is in some state of reconstruction, but I didn't.]  We decided to take the camper up and leave it and just go there as much as possible.  We were right next to a stream, I took long walks every day, I ate ice cream every day, slept with windows open at night, wore sweaters a couple times, read 17 books, watched a MOVIE!!, went antiquing to my heart's content, attended the 4th of July parade in a little town nearby, drove too fast on some awesome mountain roads (gave the hubster a seizure), met some wonderful people, met some strange people (dutifully made notes for future stories!), my friend came up for a few days, my grands came up for a minute (completely disrupted the camp "quiet time"), went fishing...  It was the nicest thing I ever did for myself.

Predictably, we got home last weekend and I've looked (and probably sounded) like a windup toy since getting home... relaxing is a distant memory but I'm still glad I did it. 

Good to be back, HAPPY FRIDAY everyone!  Love you guys!

• Love 21
17 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

EEEEeeeeee! It's HFC!!  Yay!! I've been missing your posts as well and wondering how all was going!

CONGRATULATIONS, GRAMMY!!!  

I thought I "wanted" to be Grammy, but the first one couldn't wrap his tongue around it.  He called me "Giggy" (rhymes with Ziggy), and it stuck.   They all call me Giggy.   We have a Nana, a Granny, and a Giggy.  Which would you rather??  (I'm just saying).   My wish for you is that this baby slaps a ridiculous name on you and it stays with you for life.  Those silly Grandma names are there forever and ever.  And they're all yours.  If they put "Our Giggy" on my tombstone, I will grin all the way to heaven.  

And also, my oldest granddaughter was named Elizabeth Ann.  Her mother intended to call her Annie.  It just would NOT stick.  I don't know why, she just wasn't "Annie".  So we switched to Elizabeth.  Well, that didn't fit either.  Then we tried both names together (very common in the south).  Elizabeth Ann.  Guess what?  It was also a no-fit.  By now, months have gone by and this poor baby doesn't have a NAME!!!  

At the same time, she developed a habit of sticking her tongue out.  No particular reason, and not in a gross way - she just always seemed to be exploring with her tongue.  My son (her uncle) started calling her Elizard as a joke.  We used it (as a joke) while we were waiting for some blend of Elizabeth Ann to appear and stick.  Eventually, Elizard got melted into Lizabug, still only occasionally as a pet name.  And then it got shortened to Bug.  And then, she had a name.  She's our Buggy and we all call her that - even people on the outside of family circles (her friends) refer to her as Buggy now.  I worried that she would really really hate that as she got older, but she's in high school now and doesn't seem to mind it at all.  She's tall and lithe and absolutely beautiful and doesn't look a bit like a bug.

6 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Welcome back HFC!  We moved here from South Louisiana and here is a piece of cake weather wise!!!!!

OhmyGOSH, are we having the BEST WEATHER right now?????

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Happyfatchick said:

CONGRATULATIONS, GRAMMY!!!  

I thought I "wanted" to be Grammy, but the first one couldn't wrap his tongue around it.  He called me "Giggy" (rhymes with Ziggy), and it stuck.   They all call me Giggy.   We have a Nana, a Granny, and a Giggy.  Which would you rather??  (I'm just saying).   My wish for you is that this baby slaps a ridiculous name on you and it stays with you for life.  Those silly Grandma names are there forever and ever.  And they're all yours.  If they put "Our Giggy" on my tombstone, I will grin all the way to heaven.  

And also, my oldest granddaughter was named Elizabeth Ann.  Her mother intended to call her Annie.  It just would NOT stick.  I don't know why, she just wasn't "Annie".  So we switched to Elizabeth.  Well, that didn't fit either.  Then we tried both names together (very common in the south).  Elizabeth Ann.  Guess what?  It was also a no-fit.  By now, months have gone by and this poor baby doesn't have a NAME!!!  

Haha! Thanks. Daughter is still only halfway through her first trimester, though, so I'm trying not to think about it too much just yet. Not that that's working :)

I don't know what I want to be called. I suspect it will just end up being a generic "grandma", but, as you said, sometimes names just evolve, and they are the best ones. My mom was going to be "Babcia" (Polish for grandma, pronounced kind of like Bab-cha), but when my first baby first started babbling and happened to say "Baba", she decided he was trying to call her, and she ended up being "Baba" to all of them, despite the fact that Baba means something more akin to just "old lady"

As far as your granddaughter, have they tried all the various offshoots of Elizabeth? Liz? Lizzie? Beth? Liza? Eliza? Even so far as "Betsy" or "Bess"....maybe those names are due for a comeback?

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

As far as your granddaughter, have they tried all the various offshoots of Elizabeth? Liz? Lizzie? Beth? Liza? Eliza? Even so far as "Betsy" or "Bess"....maybe those names are due for a comeback?

We have an Elizabeth at my school, and we call her Zizzie.  My godchild, also Elizabeth, was called Biz for most of her childhood, but has now switched to Liz.  And I think I read about an Elizabeth called Zibby, which is my cat's name (but it's short for Hepzibah--she's a black cat, and I wanted a witchy name, heathen Catholic that I am!).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, magpye29 said:

We have an Elizabeth at my school, and we call her Zizzie.  My godchild, also Elizabeth, was called Biz for most of her childhood, but has now switched to Liz.  And I think I read about an Elizabeth called Zibby, which is my cat's name (but it's short for Hepzibah--she's a black cat, and I wanted a witchy name, heathen Catholic that I am!).

Hepzibah from Bewitched was one episode, but hilarious.  When she told Samantha and Darrin that she was touched by their poverty and "not amused".

I had a tortie named Tabitha who passed away last year and I adored her. Once I took her to the vet and someone brought a cat named Endora in at the same time.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Hepzibah from Bewitched was one episode, but hilarious.  When she told Samantha and Darrin that she was touched by their poverty and "not amused".

I had a tortie named Tabitha who passed away last year and I adored her. Once I took her to the vet and someone brought a cat named Endora in at the same time.

I'm almost tempted to steal the name Endora for my cat (the one on my avatar). She came from the rescue with the name Cora, but I think Endora kind of suits her! LOL

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

She came from the rescue with the name Cora, but I think Endora kind of suits her! LOL

My cat came to us from the shelter with the name Marty, but I just hated that.  Since he's all white, I wanted a ghostly name, so I called him Marley (as in Jacob).  It was close to Marty, and I just figured he thinks we're too stupid to say his name properly!  My Hepzibah was actually called Happy.  She wouldn't answer to Hepzibah, but the first time I called her Zibby, she came running.  Now if I could just get it through to everyone that her name isn't Zippy...

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Chemo done July 18th.  Had PET scan on Wednesday.  Results were posted in the patient portal already and the scan indicated continued improvement.  Thank you, Jesus! I will still need maintenance treatment (TBD), and  I'll find out in the next couple of weeks after consulting with my medical team.

Thank you all for your continued prayers.

Great to hear! * doing a happy dance* Keep fighting and we'll keep cheering you on!! 

• Love 2

I worked for our local humane society for many years. I thought one of the best things would be naming the animals. It wasn't. When you are intaking hundreds of animals a month, and you don't want to repeat names from recent months, you run out of names fast. We liked to use themes for the litters because it's a lot easier to say, "the Bewitched litter needs deworming" and you run out of themes fast. Also, you can't start a medical record until you have the name, so it was usually slap a name on with not a lot thought. It never bothered me when the owners changed the name. 

I foster kittens for them now, and I don't name them. I just call them Foster. Although my last ones I named Peanut Butter & Jelly, and they got adopted together and the family kept the names :)

I still pay attention to people's pet's names and pass them on. The other day I met a blonde dog named Butters - adorable!

• Love 5