Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

My sister in law is a great cook & her entire Thanksgiving meal is wonderful. She does almost all of it by herself, her request. We live in Maryland but SIL &my sister's husband family have Pennsylvania (Dutch) roots. So sauerkraut, oyster dressing, "filling" which is a mixture of mashed potatoes & stuffing, sweet potato balls, dried corn & a warm wilted lettuce dish are family favorites. My husband could make his meal out of the the turkey skin, oyster dressing & sauerkraut alone. Almost forgot, my brother-in-law deep fries two turkeys which are to die for. My SIL also does a ham & an extra turkey breast, just in case there's not enough to eat. Lol. Yes, there is a crowd at Thanksgiving but the more, the merrier.

• Love 7

My sister in law is a great cook & her entire Thanksgiving meal is wonderful. She does almost all of it by herself, her request. We live in Maryland but SIL &my sister's husband family have Pennsylvania (Dutch) roots. So sauerkraut, oyster dressing, "filling" which is a mixture of mashed potatoes & stuffing, sweet potato balls, dried corn & a warm wilted lettuce dish are family favorites. My husband could make his meal out of the the turkey skin, oyster dressing & sauerkraut alone. Almost forgot, my brother-in-law deep fries two turkeys which are to die for. My SIL also does a ham & an extra turkey breast, just in case there's not enough to eat. Lol. Yes, there is a crowd at Thanksgiving but the more, the merrier.

Are we invited?

• Love 4

When it's my youngest brother's year to entertain, he always deep-fries a smaller turkey outside in addition to having a big oven-roasted one in the house. The deep-fried one is served during "the cocktail hour" - along with many other nummies - while we wait for the oven bird and main meal at 3 pm. Lest we become weak... So we basically eat most of TWO turkeys in one day. Insert pig-snorting noise here. But it's worth it. Piping hot, tender, juicy deep-fried turkey is one delicious nosh.

• Love 6

We had Thanksgiving last week (I'm Canadian) and I did all the cooking except for the mashed potatoes, which are my son's specialty.  He used 500 ml of light cream and 1.5 sticks of butter, and made enough potatoes for 15.  We ended up only being 8.  So I froze the rest and will be making potato chowder as soon as I get some purple and sweet potatoes to cube and cook in the soup.   I watch a lot of "Chopped", if you couldn't tell.  :-)

For me, the highlight of T-Day is The Leftover Sandwich the next day.  It has to be on squishy bread, and must contain schmears of mayo, globs of cranberry sauce (straight from the can the way nature intended it!), a layer of stuffing, white and dark meat, and a few lettuce leaves.  I capitalize this dish in my head, even though it makes it sound like one of the Pioneer Woman's concoctions.  Canadians don't make green bean casserole, nor do we ever have sweet potatoes with marshmallows on them.  But we have a variety of pies! 

My son grew up watching pro rasslin' and one of Mick Foley's characters has been on my brain - the deranged Mankind, with his famous Mandible Claw finishing move, starring Mr. Socko.  Good times, good times. 

• Love 7

This will be the first year since I moved into my house that I won't be giving out candy at Halloween this year. My dog adores Halloween--the doorbell rings constantly, which she loves, and everyone who's there is at her eye level (she's a bird dog, so she's fairly tall) and has a fun costume on. She camps out in the front hall and dances around when she hears kids coming. But last year, there weren't as many small kids and some of the kids were as big as I am and it made me a little nervous. There's been a slight increase in the crime around my neighborhood this year and I'm just not willing to take a chance this year.

I stopped for the same reason many years ago. I think part of the lack of Trick o Treaters in my area is there are now community, park, mall, school, etc events that have taken its place for the little ones. I live in the next town over from a city that often hits the top ten safest in the US and we're even safer and have great weather but little kids just don't go door to door anymore.

On to the T-Day. I lost the post that I was going to quote but it was the "stop making bad Grn Bn Cassi" to funny!

We have an Aunt that made creamed onions using canned onions. Not very good but its what she could come up with so we all complimented them to make her smile. After she passed my cousin said he kinda missed them. It was a sweet moment so the next holiday being Christmas I decided to give it a try. We had changed the Grn Bn Cassi to something healthier so I got the idea to try a hybrid or hack of that recipe. Pretty simple: Make a white sauce and toss in some grated cheese and white ground pepper. Pour over a couple of bags of those frozen mini onions. When you get to host's house top the cassi with French's Fried Onions. Warm up in oven. It was a hit OR maybe I've become the elderly relative that everyone just wants to make happy. Anyway I like it and make it for my mom's caregivers too.

I'm a HUGE 99cent only store fan. I get tons of amazing fresh organics on truck day.

When they have all the ingredients for it I make this:

Thanksgiving in a Bowl (tastes like the yummie leftovers!)

Bag or box of name brand cubed stuffing mix

Cook up LOTS of celery and onions adding in fresh sliced mushrooms

Can of stock and water as desired and a bag of dried cranberries

Put into bowl and top with cut up roaster chicken

• Love 10

My next door neighbor does a fried turkey in the driveway every year. Since he's single, and has no local family, my husband, cats, and I get quite a haul. It's the only way breast meat is palatable. Soooo juicy!

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Oyster stuffing, that's what I miss and want. Living in Maryland, my mother would make this every year but in her descent from fine cook to Sandra Lee clone, she tried making it with boxed stuffing. I won't say I cried but I did and made her stop making that abomination.

It sounds nasty but it's oh so tasty.

• Love 5

Remember how there was always that one neighbor who gave out boxes of raisins for Halloween? What the hell were they thinking?

We had a family that always gave out boxes of candied dried (baked) beans. We swore the dad worked at the company cuz they gave them out every year. Not sure if they were real beans or just pieces of candy made to look like beans. I don't think we even ate them, just went straight to trash. Wish I could remember name but they were in a pale pink box with a picture of a cauldron/bean pot on front (God, why do I remember that from 40 years ago?)

Are we invited?

Even tho it's not at my house, I should be able to get you in. There are always the family regulars but each year there are different people, some showing up different years. Last year, my niece, who is a nurse, had to go to work in evening & invited some coworkers. Other times it's friends that don't have somewhere to go for whatever reason. It's nice catching up with the old & making new friends too.

Whoever posted about the Jello, my mom almost always served some type of Jello salad at a "company" dinner. It became a running joke between her & my husband. She was so excited after I got married when she found a Jello cookbook & a Jello Tupperware mold for me at yard sales. I still have them & on a rare occasion, will do a Jello side dish.

Add me to the list of Green bean casserole lovers. I'll take it fixed anyway. Remember a few years ago when Anna Duggar made the Thanksgiving or Harvest dinner when the Duggar Stink Bus showed up early? She had the 10 lb Turkey for the whole gang not to mention her green bean casserole that looked a little gray.

• Love 5

I love Hersheys kisses, but unless I buy them 10 minutes before the kids arrive, they are gone before the first trick or treater arrives. So I have to buy the chewy, fruity candy the kids like, but I don't.

My DH and I have become lazy, so we have really cute Halloween shirts that have become our "costume."

• Love 3

Oyster stuffing, that's what I miss and want. Living in Maryland, my mother would make this every year but in her descent from fine cook to Sandra Lee clone, she tried making it with boxed stuffing. I won't say I cried but I did and made her stop making that abomination.

It sounds nasty but it's oh so tasty.

Oh, scary. I remember the year TFN posted Sandra Lee's recipe for your thanksgiving turkey leftovers and it contained, among other things, two packages of pre-cooked name brand flavored chicken tenders, because of course what you do when you have pounds of left over poultry is buy chicken to use it up with.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

. It's the only way breast meat is palatable. Soooo juicy!

My mom always cooks the turkey in the oven breast side down and then flips it for the last hour so it gets brown. That makes the breast juicy!

Edited by fireice13
  • Love 2

We had a family that always gave out boxes of candied dried (baked) beans. We swore the dad worked at the company cuz they gave them out every year. Not sure if they were real beans or just pieces of candy made to look like beans. I don't think we even ate them, just went straight to trash. Wish I could remember name but they were in a pale pink box with a picture of a cauldron/bean pot on front (God, why do I remember that from 40 years ago?) 

Are you talking about Boston Baked Beans? YUM those are made in Chicago at Ferrera Pan! Love those.

http://www.ferrarausa.com/brands/

• Love 6

Oh, scary. I remember the year TFN posted Sandra Lee's recipe for your thanksgiving turkey leftovers and it contained, among other things, two packages of pre-cooked name brand flavored chicken tenders, because of course what you do when you have pounds of left over poultry is buy chicken to use it up with.

How on earth did Aunt Sandy have that abomination of a show on even such a crap station as Food Network for a decade??? Unless she got ratings from hate watchers, much like the Duggars do.

I couldn't even hate watch her and her insane tablescapes. It was an assault to my very being.

• Love 2

The sandwich up thread reminded me that we have a similar casserole the day after. All the main dish leftovers are layered. Mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy, veggies, etc. then a little boxed broth poured over and topped with biscuits from a can and baked. We all love it and look forward to it. Canned cranberry sauce on the side. Yum.

• Love 6

How on earth did Aunt Sandy have that abomination of a show on even such a crap station as Food Network for a decade??? Unless she got ratings from hate watchers, much like the Duggars do.

I couldn't even hate watch her and her insane tablescapes. It was an assault to my very being.

We had a fine old time when she became the first female of my state pondering her hosting dinners for dignitaries at tables mounded with goodies from the remainder bin at AC Moore celebrating spelt production in Columbia County...

ETA: You know her then-husband was a real estate developer who did a lot of business with HGTV advertisers, right?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

never mind carry on

Edited by amitville

Since we're focusing upon looking forward to Thanksgiving, I'll share about ours. Many, many, many moons ago when I was 34 my only sister died in October. She and I each had 4 children. We invited her husband and my four nephews and my dad (mother had passed away the December before) for Thanksgiving. In the 42 years since we've lost five people, but everyone else has busily married and multiplied and multiplied again. And everyone will come here has they have for 42 years. It's become more and more of a pitch-in, of course, when the children had families of their own. So, we should have about 32 people here for dinner on Thanksgiving. I love it. And I don't worry much about calories because, believe me, that week I pretty much run my fairly chubby tail off. 

• Love 13

We don't have Thanksgiving in Australia, but all this talk about awesome Thanksgiving food is making me wish we did.

We're also not big on Halloween, although it is getting more popular, so I always buy a couple of bags of Mars Bars just in case. Whatever doesn't get given out goes in the freezer, because I've loved frozen Mars Bars ever since I first read about them in a Babysitter's Club book many, many years ago, and had to try it. (Before then it had never occurred to me to freeze chocolate bars).

• Love 3

We had a fine old time when she became the first female of my state pondering her hosting dinners for dignitaries at tables mounded with goodies from the remainder bin at AC Moore celebrating spelt production in Columbia County...

ETA: You know her then-husband was a real estate developer who did a lot of business with HGTV advertisers, right?

I knew she had connections, but I never cared enough to suss them out.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Did she serve her erstwhile Kwanzaa Kake? My friends love to torture me with it on my Juneteenth birthday.

Help!

Oh, that's not right. Arguably a hair less wrong than the very not-kosher Chanukah cake with the inedible fake pearls on it (for that very special dinner with the israeli ambassador, perhaps) or the ice cream potato, but wow, really not right.

• Love 4

Love me some Aunt Sandy.  She had a hard life coming up so I cut her a lot of slack.

I make turkey using a very old Amy Vanderbilt recipe from the first cookbook I got when I was married the first time a zillion years ago.  It is called "Champagne Basted Turkey" and in the olden days the turkeys took a lot longer to cook.  I've cut back the cooking time, but, it is fabulous and makes the most wonderful gravy.  

• Love 2

The thing (well, one of hundreds) that killed me about Aunt Sandy was the odd monikers she would give her concoctions. I used to gripe about it a little too much on TWOP. For example, the ice cream potato was called "potato ice cream." Or her ingredient list would call for one lemon, juiced, like you were supposed to use the gutted rind instead of the juice itself. I don't know. I wasted a lot of brain cells on that show.

Frenchtoast, congrats on the new family member! I understand greyhounds are very sweet. I know your new friend earned his retirement.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 4

My very first Thanksgiving as a married lady I bought a small turkey. My MIL took it out of the freezer and said "honey, this isn't a turkey-it's a duck!"

I was so embarrassed. We had duck and dressing.

I see no problem with this. Yum!

• Love 3

UGH three more hours til we have to cry at our Wet Bar of Tears because we will be waiting for  that other trainwreck, Sister Wives. Last week it bored me so much I went to bed. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 6

Gee, so Wanderwoman and Razing Ruth are/ may be the same person?  

I will add my two cents to the T'giving discussion---favorite thing is on Friday having a turkey sandwich on white bread with cranberry sauce.  Once the youngest moved off, hubby and I go visit the son and DIL who live about 2 hours ways and she cooks. Our daughter and her fiance are too far away to come.  We have a very small family.

Maybe because we are so few, I really enjoy the Sunday before Thanksgiving because we have a huge block party.  Usually there is turkey, but one year someone who owned a BBQ restaurant catered the meat. Someone coordinates the turkey cooking, and everyone else brings sides and/or desserts.  It always works out (except one year when it stormed and we cancelled) and the food is delish. Great way to meet neighbors,too. 

• Love 6

UGH three more hours til we have to cry at our Wet Bar of Tears because we will be waiting that other trainwreck, Sister Wives. Last week it bored me so much I went to bed.

Ha! well, I have quit watching, but I must confess I sneak over and read the posts. And I will confess that while I am watching some crime show on ID I have been known to surf over to the show during commercials.  I got so disgusted with Meri for agreeing to the divorce that I just cannot watch it. And I can't stand that he is now legally married to Robyn.  And I am mad at myself for even knowing so much about that family and the Duggars, too.

• Love 9

OK, talk to me about this, because my mother is pretty much the worst cook on earth, and she used to serve us frozen brussel sprouts boiled until they were grey. I love  mustardy/cabbagey vegetables specifically, so I should love brussels sprouts, but I just experience them as mushy sulfur bombs. What am I doing wrong?

Our favourite brussels sprouts recipe is from Ina Garten.  Basically, you drizzle a little olive oil in a roasting dish, add raw brussels sprouts (halved if small; quartered if big) and diced bacon.  Roast.  Then drizzle with a balsamic vinegar reduction (which you make ahead once and will last for ages - just boil balsamic vinegar until it's reduced to half its volume).  I don't remember the exact temperature - likely 375-425ish - but I bet that can be googled.

• Love 8

Our favourite brussels sprouts recipe is from Ina Garten.  Basically, you drizzle a little olive oil in a roasting dish, add raw brussels sprouts (halved if small; quartered if big) and diced bacon.  Roast.  Then drizzle with a balsamic vinegar reduction (which you make ahead once and will last for ages - just boil balsamic vinegar until it's reduced to half its volume).  I don't remember the exact temperature - likely 375-425ish - but I bet that can be googled.

Oh yeah my SIL  tried to make this too but failed miserably! I don't know how you can screw up cutting the sprouts  and putting oil on them but she can. 

• Love 1

We don't have Thanksgiving in Australia, but all this talk about awesome Thanksgiving food is making me wish we did.

We're also not big on Halloween, although it is getting more popular, so I always buy a couple of bags of Mars Bars just in case. Whatever doesn't get given out goes in the freezer, because I've loved frozen Mars Bars ever since I first read about them in a Babysitter's Club book many, many years ago, and had to try it. (Before then it had never occurred to me to freeze chocolate bars).

Something else that is absolutely delicious frozen?  Fruit smoothies. Try it with my favorite - McDonald's pineapple-mango. I buy the smalls because they are pricey and carby. Put them in the freezer, overnight at least. When you want one, take it out and leave on the counter for 20 min or so. It will mush up just enough to make it spoonable but not drippy. And it is beyond delicious. I haven't had any smoothies via a straw in YEARS.

• Love 3

I think Aunt Sandy was a running joke on FN. Her show was so bad it was good. I'll never forget the Pear and Blue Cheese salad she made with canned pears. I mean seriously, who wants nasty mushy canned pears in their salad when fresh ones are available year round? Then there was the epi where she hosted a kids' sleepover and engaged a bunch of young girls in making "kiddie cocktails" served in champagne flutes. *face palm*

• Love 5

We do it in a skillet.  And leave off the balsamic.  Salute sprouts in olive oil/butter, then crumble cooked crisp bacon and stir around.  

• Love 2

Frozen smoothies are definitely going on my must try list. They'll be perfect now that we're starting to really get into our hot weather.

My Brussels sprouts recipe: Cut sprouts in half, get fresh beets, cut up into pieces about the same size as the sprouts. Make a marinade of balsamic vinegar (two tablespoons), honey (quarter of a cup), a dash of orange juice, and fresh ground pepper. Toss sprouts and beets in marinade until thoroughly coated, bake at 180C (around 350F), until beets are tender. Yum.

• Love 5

Funny that Sandra Lee should come up, because I just made her lasagna recipe. It's baking right now and smells amazing. I never really watched her show much, but years ago when I was fresh out of college I was home sick from my very first grown up job and was wallowing on my hand-me-down couch watching Food Network. She made a lasagna, something that in my family is a major undertaking since my parents make both the noodles and sauce from scratch. Anyway, I watched this episode and I thought "I could make that". I never liked to cook so for me (especially then) this was a Big Deal. I made it, it was delicious, and now it's one of my go to recipes. Thankfully I married a man who does enjoy cooking so I rarely need to, but he (and others) request the lasagna on occasion.

• Love 6

This is horrible, but I love those mellocreme pumpkins similar to candy corn. Love them, even after reading how the department of defense used them. I like candy that your 5 year old would select. No one trick or treats. The large baptist church has a fun night and we just drop candy off.

Thanksgiving. I love my mothers desserts, sweet potato pie and peach cobbler. My contribution is always turkey, Cajun turkey from honey bake. I bravely weather the lines to pick up Last year after dinner, I felt like a Ompa Lompa so I talked my sister into getting off the couch and going to Walmart with me. We had a ball. My parents live out in the middle of no where, so we drove 30 miles to the next town with a store. We had the sales circular and Walmart had these "if you are in the store deals" . The long lines went really fast. They just handed you a piece of paper, you pay and come later to pick up your items. We got tvs and headphones. It turned out to be a great deal, because I paid for a 50 inch no name TV for $200. When I went to pick it up they were out and ended up giving me a brand 55 inch. And my SIL had a radio shack instore ad in Cali for the headphones to be $30 off even the super sale deal. She texted me the photo, and I forwarded it to my Cousins in ATL. It felt like we were really commando shopping. In less than 3 hours, even after chatting with some old friends while waiting in line, we were back on the couch. I think it really got me in the spirit, just hanging out shopping with my sister.

Edited because I was educated past the kitchen table.

Edited by travel17
  • Love 2

We had Thanksgiving last week (I'm Canadian) and I did all the cooking except for the mashed potatoes, which are my son's specialty.  He used 500 ml of light cream and 1.5 sticks of butter, and made enough potatoes for 15.  We ended up only being 8.  So I froze the rest and will be making potato chowder as soon as I get some purple and sweet potatoes to cube and cook in the soup.   I watch a lot of "Chopped", if you couldn't tell.  :-)

For me, the highlight of T-Day is The Leftover Sandwich the next day.  It has to be on squishy bread, and must contain schmears of mayo, globs of cranberry sauce (straight from the can the way nature intended it!), a layer of stuffing, white and dark meat, and a few lettuce leaves.  I capitalize this dish in my head, even though it makes it sound like one of the Pioneer Woman's concoctions.  Canadians don't make green bean casserole, nor do we ever have sweet potatoes with marshmallows on them.  But we have a variety of pies! 

My son grew up watching pro rasslin' and one of Mick Foley's characters has been on my brain - the deranged Mankind, with his famous Mandible Claw finishing move, starring Mr. Socko.  Good times, good times. 

I just want everyone to know I will gratefully accept all leftover potato anythings from Thanksgiving. Unless the ingredients also include mushrooms, I've never met a potato recipe I didn't lust after...

• Love 7

I just want everyone to know I will gratefully accept all leftover potato anythings from Thanksgiving. Unless the ingredients also include mushrooms, I've never met a potato recipe I didn't lust after...

Potatoes are the best. Now I'll share my mashed potato recipe - warning, I don't use low fat anything, and this recipe has no set amounts.

Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes:

Potatoes, peeled, cut into pieces, boiled.

Cream.

Grated cheese - I use a variety of cheeses.

Minced garlic - as much as you like.

Fresh pepper.

The key to these potatoes, is once you've drained the potatoes, put them back in the pot, and once you've started mashing in the other ingredients, put them back on the heat for a bit, until they are mashed all smooth.

I serve them with my garlic meatloaf.

I love garlic.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 10

It's very, very rare that my family ever has leftover mashed potatoes, but for the few times that we have the next day is Mashed Potato Pancake Day, which is better than Thanksgiving, Christmas, and your birthday ! I'm drooling over them already !

So easy even I can do it - shape potatoes into patties the size/shape of hamburgers, fry in either butter or bacon fat (this is NOT supposed to be healthy !) until they are med-to-dark brown on either side, drain on paper towels, and that's it. The thinner and crispier the better...

Aaaaaannnd now I have to make mashed potatoes so I'll have them for pancakes tomorrow. You can make them same day, but they are infinitely better if you let them "set" in the fridge overnight. Instant potatoes are okay to use, but fresh ones hold up and crisp better. 

• Love 3