Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

A tweet from Sheri Anderson:

Definitely one of my favourite Days storylines.  It was so unexpected, and affected so many characters.  Wish they were able to write stories like that today.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Sandman said:

It strikes me as entirely possible that the writers have forgotten this detail.

She was also her first grandchild.

1 hour ago, SnK said:

Not even a mention of Kayla's kids.  

I wasn't a big fan of the ep. There were some sweet moments but overall I didn't feel much.   I swear the show isn't even trying anymore. 

Kim's children were not mentioned either. I doubt I will ever see Andrew on the show. Stefanie should have been recast when Tripp came on the show.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

It's been said but should be repeated, Ciara and Tripp are fucking stupid. Ugh, Claire, just kill them already! And yea, the fact that this is obviously all just so Ben can play hero and save Ciara again makes the whole thing rage inducing.

I think this is quite the UO but I love Eve. She hates all the same characters I do lol.

Xander's, "I don't wanna kill someone," puppy face can go. They're already skirting the line of woobifying him and I am just waiting for them to cross it in spectacularly annoying fashion.

I agree with this although Eve bugs me for putting her vendetta against Jennifer over Ben so her revenge vs Ben falls flat to me. Even though I'm on her side here. 

I just don't like that Jack/Jennifer's story has Eve as the focal point instead of them.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

🤐

Dafuq? Then make the funeral 👏🏼a 👏🏼multiple 👏🏼episode  👏🏼 event. 

I too wanted more flashbacks and montages! Or hell more storytelling with specific anedotes. I only got into Days in the 90s and watched sporadically then got more heavy in it maybe 12 years ago. But my great grandparents and their kids watched and stanned the shit out of it so I would love to see what watched and put faces and context to the chatter. It’s bullshit, actually, that society let this art form die. Cancelled soaps like Guiding Light, As the World Turns and All My Children had a huge history. 

• Love 9
(edited)
11 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I agree with this although Eve bugs me for putting her vendetta against Jennifer over Ben so her revenge vs Ben falls flat to me. Even though I'm on her side here. 

I just don't like that Jack/Jennifer's story has Eve as the focal point instead of them.

That is my biggest problem with the Jack/Jennifer story. They never needed an interloper to be interesting. The same goes for all of the other supercouples, it is why they were elevated as supercouples by the writers.  Their uniqueness was what made them so special. Jack's amnesia and embracing his dark side without the baggage of his past should have been the start of the journey for Jack and Jennifer. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

Like the rest of you, I was very disappointed by the lack of flashbacks.  Spending a few extra dollars would have been well justified to satisfy the many long time viewers of DOL.

Back to today.  So Ben has simply been sitting in the same room for 2(?) days now?  I get they don't have money for sets but at least have Eve bring him in for some reason.  And now, they can't even afford to buy the guy a jumpsuit?  Let's a least try a little show!

Yes, NOTHING could POSSIBLY go wrong with Tripp and Ciara's plan.  Ciara says she'll be careful but what does that even mean?  How about enlisting JJ's help and have him in the background as back-up?  I know they don't want to spill the plan to Marlena, but how about giving her a heads up her granddaughter is batshit crazy and seeing if she could intervene in some way?  All they have to do is tell her Ben recognized the ring tone and let Marlena figure it out from there.

I'm honestly glad JJ isn't involved in this disaster its bad enough they have emasculated him as much as they have and he's already in a crap story of his own no need to give him more. 

I bet in the end JJ and Haley will show more compassion for Claire than the rest of the family... or maybe their reaction won't be shown(I'll take that scenario).

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

That is my biggest problem with the Jack/Jennifer story. They never needed an interloper to be interesting. The same goes for all of the other supercouples, it is why they were elevated as supercouples by the writers.  Their uniqueness was what made them so special. Jack's amnesia and embracing his dark side without the baggage of his past should have been the start of the journey for Jack and Jennifer. 

Yes and having JJ be drawn to it in the process would've added another layer because Jennifer may not be able to save Jack(or care  nearly as much ) but JJ is another story and Jennifer would have to deal with someone else being just as  impactful in JJ's life besides her. That's too character driven for this show though.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I honestly had no problem with Sami rejoicing that Eric isn’t with Nicole. I see some people have, but this is typical Sami and makes sense. Nicole stole her baby, for goodness sake!

I never understood why Sami allowed Sydney to call Nicole, mommyNicole. It always bothered me that she did that..

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

She was also her first grandchild.

Carrie did mention being the oldest grandchild, though, right? Pretty sure I remember that.

The more I think about it, the more Carlivati's tweet seems like the shallowest kind of blame-shifting. 

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 8

Eric, you can leave Sarah Horton alone until she decides she doesn't want Rex. However, I too would be ticked off that my fiancé would want to marry me on my coffee break. Why the rush, Rex? Grandma Caroline's funeral was just a few minutes ago and most people really wouldn't want an insta-wedding.

Thought Ted looked good all disheveled. Still amazed that Kristen's body can morph in to Nicole's body with the mask! Her confrontation with Samantha should be interesting.

Ciara, your plan is probably ill-advised. It'll just make Claire even more unhinged. You need to have backup and Plan B. Tripp it is not a good idea to break up with Claire and then move to Ciara within a few minutes. Too fast, too convenient.

Eve, you can hate Ben all you want and have every right to, but you cannot pin things on him that he did not do. He can sue the Salem PD.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Carrie did mention being the oldest grandchild, though, right? Pretty sure I remember that.

The more I think about it, the more Carlivati's tweet seems like the shallowest kind of blame-shifting. 

She actually mentioned being the oldest granddaughter which I thought was strange because she is the oldest period. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Harmony233 said:

I have more of a problem with everyone urging Eric to go after Sarah who is engaged.

And engaged to his brother.  Does no one see a problem with this yet again?   

• Love 11
4 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I honestly had no problem with Sami rejoicing that Eric isn’t with Nicole. I see some people have, but this is typical Sami and makes sense. Nicole stole her baby, for goodness sake!

It's definitely typical Sami, but Sami also loves Eric.  I have no problem with Sami hating Nicole forever, but Sami usually has more compassion for Eric.

I am going to enjoy seeing Sami confront Nicole/Kristen.  However, if Sami doesn't try to mop the floor with her, I going to be calling BS on that scene.

3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I never understood why Sami allowed Sydney to call Nicole, mommyNicole. It always bothered me that she did that..

That was back in the day when they were trying to make Sami worthy of Rafe.  {face palm}

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Sandman said:

I have no problem believing Ron would throw anyone under the bus to make himself look better because he's such a petty little bitch in general, but I do think that some things are just out of his control. The show has no money and no one higher up gives a shit about it so I'm sure there are things Ron wishes he could do that he just can't.

9 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Thought Ted looked good all disheveled.

I agree. He looked the best he ever has lol.

Eric also looked exceptionally good in yesterday's ep, which surprised me because I usually much prefer him with scruff.

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, A.J. said:

And engaged to his brother.  Does no one see a problem with this yet again?   

Its Eric he'll get a pass I mean they didn't care that he went after Nicole while she was engaged to Brady(yes Eric/Nicole have a longer history but its not as if they supported that relationship either when it took place).

Just like it was cool for Carrie/Rafe to possibly hook up despite being married to Sami.

If this was Sami she wouldn't have gotten a pass and I hate her.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Its Eric he'll get a pass I mean they didn't care that he went after Nicole while she was engaged to Brady(yes Eric/Nicole have a longer history but its not as if they supported that relationship either when it took place).

Just like it was cool for Carrie/Rafe to possibly hook up despite being married to Sami.

I love Sami, but I agree, she would not have gotten a free pass which is one of the reasons I like her.  I also appreciate that Alison Sweeney has never wanted them to whitewash Sami's past.  She seems to relish playing flawed screwed up Sami.

I did dislike them constantly resetting Sami's relationships with Carrie and John.

• Love 5

Nicole has NEVER shown loyalty. This is why Sami is friends w Kate even after she tried to kill her. Nicole is pretty toxic. I only liked her for her past w Paul, and for sparring w misogynistic Victor. Outside of that she’s been selfish AF and an anti-women hater. She destroyed evidence of Eric’s RAPE and she’s always been a B to any attractive woman on canvas. 

• Love 4
(edited)
24 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Nicole has NEVER shown loyalty. This is why Sami is friends w Kate even after she tried to kill her. Nicole is pretty toxic. I only liked her for her past w Paul, and for sparring w misogynistic Victor. Outside of that she’s been selfish AF and an anti-women hater. She destroyed evidence of Eric’s RAPE and she’s always been a B to any attractive woman on canvas. 

Also, Sami and Kate liked each other when Deborah Adair played Kate.  The animosity did not start until Kate came back from the dead and she was stunned that Sami had given Austin a son and not Carrie. She began to have suspicions about Sami and the rest is history. 

You are right Nicole has always been the type of woman who hates other  attractive women because she is very insecure.  Chloe and Nicole being friends has never made any sense to me because Nicole tried to give her a flesh eating bacteria.  Not only did she want Chloe to die, but to suffer excruciating pain. That is sociopathic behavior..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 5
33 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I think Nicole works best in male friendships than female I think the only legit female friendship of hers I bought was Ava.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Which male friendship has Nicole had? I don’t count her exes as a friendship.

Even Teresa had Anne.

She had Rafe which I didn't mind as long as it didn't go any further.

Jack was more of a frenemy than anything but I liked their dynamic.

But yeah her other male friends through the years were guys she used to sleep with(Daniel, Brady)

• Love 3
(edited)
9 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Jack was more of a frenemy than anything but I liked their dynamic.

I think Nicole's dark side appealed to Jack's and they should have done more to develop that dynamic.  Jack worked best in friendships with women who had dark sides. Conversely, Jack worked wonderfully with Marlena and Isabella. Even with Isabella the show hinted that she had a dark side as well that was dormant. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think Nicole's dark side appealed to Jack's and they should have done more to develop that dynamic.  Jack worked best in friendships with women who had dark sides. Conversely, Jack worked wonderfully with Marlena and Isabella. Even with Isabella the show hinted that she had a dark side as well that was dormant. 

Jack/Greta were friends but she didn't have a dark side.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CanaryFan98 said:

While Eric and Nicole were each other's first love, she has always had the more substantial relationship with Brady. Over the past 22 yrs Eric and Nicole have been together for a total of maybe a year if that. Their relationship was always over blown. 

I'm over Eric and his "I deserve who I want no matter who she is with" attitude. Especially when the woman in question is with one of his brothers. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, JBC344 said:

While Eric and Nicole were each other's first love, she has always had the more substantial relationship with Brady. Over the past 22 yrs Eric and Nicole have been together for a total of maybe a year if that. Their relationship was always over blown. 

I'm over Eric and his "I deserve who I want no matter who she is with" attitude. Especially when the woman in question is with one of his brothers. 

I have said this for YEARS mention it on other soap boards they get all defensive when I stated the obvious she has more romantic history with EJ and Brady on screen than she has ever had with Eric. They could've made this work if Nicole wasn't on for years with other men without giving Eric a second thought while Eric was off screen for ages. However this happened so...

• Love 5
4 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Is Eric attracted to any other kind of woman?

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Eric and Serena were a cute couple for a few minutes.  I really liked that actress.  It was too bad her character wasn’t more popular.  

Eric and Jennifer were sweet for a short time.  In both those relationships he laughed and smiled.  

With nicole he is very sad    And i like them 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, tribeca said:

Eric and Serena were a cute couple for a few minutes.  I really liked that actress.  It was too bad her character wasn’t more popular.  

Eric and Jennifer were sweet for a short time.  In both those relationships he laughed and smiled.  

With nicole he is very sad    And i like them 

Melissa Archer and I thought she should've been a Sarah Horton recast. I think Linsey was better suited as a Stephanie Johnson recast.

• Love 7
(edited)

Well I finally watched Wednesday and Thursday's episodes, with Will dying, surviving and then the wake.

As usual, things were very rushed. Why do some storylines on the series drag out forever and then something huge and important like this gets wrapped up in two episodes?

I have no clue how seeing the formula for the cure helped Rex and Sarah devise an antidote....but then, I'm sure neither do the writers. Did we even get to see them working in a lab together? And frankly, if it was happening at the hospital, wouldn't it have been a different team of people? It's not like Rex and Sarah are the only doctors there or that they would be asked to play around with test tubes when they have patients to see...

...but then, we also had the cure kicking in after about three seconds, which was ridiculous. Heck, when Kayla was shocking Will, she didn't even put those pads on his body to protect his skin the way they do in pretty much every other medical drama. I'm not even a medical student and I know you have to do that. You can't just put the metal devices directly on the skin because it will burn!

Still, I wasn't completely disappointed with the overall arc. I think it was a really sweet idea to have Will see his great-grandmother at the Pub and then everyone finding out Caroline had passed. Roman's reaction was perfect. I don't think Josh gets much credit for his work on the show anymore, but every once in a while he really nails a scene. This was one of them. (Another was when Eric was going away to jail and showed up at the precinct hungover and he had to show a mixture of frustration and fear and strength to his son.) Nicely done Josh.

But the two MVPs here were Mary Beth Evans and John Aniston. Do they both have daytime Emmys? They deserve daytime Emmys.

Kayla gets nothing but crap to work with, from her absentee husband to her absentee kids...and yet she has always been completely memorable and convincing, but never more so than at the Pub, choking back tears and trying to contain the tidal wave of emotions you could see surging within her. She didn't have to say a word because she was feeling it so damn strongly that even when the camera cut away I still found myself right there with her. That was real grief.

And John. Wow. No matter how much this show screws with its characters, I feel like Aniston's strength of will keeps Victor grounded in place. It's almost like even the crappy writing can't turn him into something other than himself. He always rings true. And he brings out the best in his co-stars. I'm so glad Hope went and stayed with him. It was easily the most I've liked her in months or years. THIS is the kind of drama I would like to see more of. Not Hope wondering which man she's going to date or how she's going to save her job... I want to see the Hope that is still mourning Bo (as we all are) and trying be there for Victor, the grumpy impossible father-in-law. And boy, does the man know how to take his time delivering his lines. All of those anecdotes at the pub felt rushed and rehearsed. Everything Victor says feels like it's coming out of his mouth at that very moment, as if he's just thought of it.

I definitely think they should have taken two days to play out the memorial and fill it with flashbacks. That one clip of her and Sean Senior dancing around the Pub has popped up several times in the last few years. There was much more to show and they even admitted in the tweets that they had tons of audio recordings of Peggy's to pull from. Maybe we'll get lucky, and down the road there will be another follow-up episode, similar to one where Hope went to Smith Island and encountered the ghost of Bo.

If not, this was classy if brief. It was great seeing Carrie, but I didn't understand where Lucas vanished to if he wasn't also at the hospital with Will. But then, poor Bryan stood around doing pretty much nothing anyway.

I didn't mind that Kimberly and Theresa weren't there because they had already established that Kimberly was sick. Do you think they shipped Caroline's remains to Salem?

I also think I've put too much blame on the scriptwriters regarding the final product when it seems like the editors could definitely be doing a better job. The end of the episode featured a really loud clip of the actors just improvising lines to each other inside the pub as the ghosts of Caroline and Sean watch from the exterior. We didn't need to hear all that. They should have faded the chatter out. There's lots of sloppy stuff in the show like that that bothers me, and it seems to be always be issues that could easily be resolved with a bit of finesse and attention to detail. At least they managed to properly obscure the face of the Caroline stand-in enough so we could believe it was actually Peggy there.

I have nothing to say about the Claire, Ciara, Ben, Tripp and Hayley nonsense.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 6

Ron at least approximates JER's flair for drama and uses all the characters. With Dena, nothing happened for months and we'd be stuck watching characters we didn't especially like the entire time.

But yeah...I wish I knew that we'd get a week of mourning Caroline....more great Roman scenes...that kind of thing...

• Love 4
10 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Ron at least approximates JER's flair for drama and uses all the characters. With Dena, nothing happened for months and we'd be stuck watching characters we didn't especially like the entire time.

But yeah...I wish I knew that we'd get a week of mourning Caroline....more great Roman scenes...that kind of thing...

The trouble is, (IMO here!) JER's writing was plot-driven shit and is nothing to emulate.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

The trouble is, (IMO here!) JER's writing was plot-driven shit and is nothing to emulate.

At least the ratings went up under JER. They are tanking under Ron. I put the blame on him focusing on characters the majority of the audience doesn’t care about. 

2 minutes ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

At least the ratings went up under JER. They are tanking under Ron. I put the blame on him focusing on characters the majority of the audience doesn’t care about. 

Meh, I attributed that to the "car wreck" effect. And it didn't last. Didn't mean the writing JER did was any good, people just wanted to see how far he'd go. IMO, that did irreparable damage to the fabric of the show. Camp and shock value in place of real stories.

• Love 7

At this point I don't think it would make a difference if people were turned off by this show with the storylines going on now I don't see how it would suddenly change if they actually wrote character driven stories for once. I fear the damage is done.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Why was Eve freaked out by the key that Ben had and was trying to give her? I must have missed something.

I took it as Eve thought Ciara was lying (she really was) about why she was there to see Ben. So him being able to produce the key made Ciara's story more plausible. Eve went in to the interrogation room all loaded for bear not expecting to have that key put into her hand. It was kind of nice to see the character shocked into silence since more times then not I've wished she would STFU. I like Kassie just not as Eve.

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I took it as Eve thought Ciara was lying (she really was) about why she was there to see Ben. So him being able to produce the key made Ciara's story more plausible. Eve went in to the interrogation room all loaded for bear not expecting to have that key put into her hand. It was kind of nice to see the character shocked into silence since more times then not I've wished she would STFU. I like Kassie just not as Eve.

Thanks.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

It was so stupid because he could have just given her any key. 

This is typical Ron Carlivati writing, dragging shit out until the audience either begs for mercy or says fuck it and stops caring altogether.

• Love 9

IKR I haven’t rewatched the scene but it looked like he fished out his key from his wallet to an Anytime Fitness locker or P.O. Box and she was all like shook at the sight like “check mate, bitch” 

but it proved nothing and in jail they take people’s keys, jewelry, and shoelaces and stuff. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

IKR I haven’t rewatched the scene but it looked like he fished out his key from his wallet to an Anytime Fitness locker or P.O. Box and she was all like shook at the sight like “check mate, bitch” 

but it proved nothing and in jail they take people’s keys, jewelry, and shoelaces and stuff. 

I didn't think they key looked anything like one that would unlock the door to a home either. It was my first thought when Ben had it in his hand. It did look like it could be a key for the things you described though.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I didn't think they key looked anything like one that would unlock the door to a home either. It was my first thought when Ben had it in his hand. It did look like it could be a key for the things you described though.

I thought it looked like and old fashioned "skeleton" key.  I'm far too lazy to rewatch that scene but it definitely looked like a house key.

• Love 5

Finally got to view Caroline’s wake yesterday and…..what in the bluedilly fuck?!

First of all, you could literally count the number of people at the pub (11!).  Secondly, there were a lot of mourners missing like Lucas, Jennifer, STEVE!, Maggie, the list goes on and on.  And hell, Roman himself mentioned Skyping later with Kimberly, I still say that should have been done.

Like everyone has said, the MVP’s were Mary Beth, John and Kristian….I lost it seeing Hope lying in Victor’s arms comforting him.

I don’t watch the Young and the Restless but I looked at it during the memorial for Kristoff St. John’s Neil Winters….now that was emotional and you really felt the love the cast had for him.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DaphneCat said:

I thought it looked like and old fashioned "skeleton" key.  I'm far too lazy to rewatch that scene but it definitely looked like a house key.

I’m so glad I asked this question because it’s nice to know I’m not going crazy. LOL!!!! The key does look like an old fashioned key and that’s why I was wondering why Eve was freaked out by it. It doesn’t even look the the old soap locker key (do they still have them?) that the soaps always used back in the day. So, in closing we can all agree it was a dumb plot twist, right? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Jaded said:

That key looked just like the key to our front door when I was growing up.  The house was built 1860 ish and still had the original locks, etc.  My brother still has that old key, very cool looking, and the lock itself was massive.

But why Ciara would have had an antique key on her is beyond me.  

• Love 3