Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

(edited)
49 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Sandman, there are a lot of people these days, both young and old, with mental health issues. Many are on meds for anxiety, depression, and other mental health disorders.

That is true but this Writer uses mental illnesses too often as a plot point  to write for women. He cannot give a woman any type of motivation that is not connected to a man or some type of mental illness.   It says a lot how he views women in my opinion.

Sandman's post above was a perfect description of the writing when it comes to the female characters.. Why did Abigail have to develop DID? why couldn't it be a man for once. Has a guy on a soap ever had DID?

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
36 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

That is true but this Writer uses mental illnesses too often as a plot point  to write for women. He cannot give a woman any type of motivation that is not connected to a man or some type of mental illness.   It says a lot how he views women in my opinion.

Sandman's post above was a perfect description of the writing when it comes to the female characters.. Why did Abigail have to develop DID? why couldn't it be a man for once. Has a guy on a soap ever had DID?

And the woman is driven to madness by a man. In Ben's case a woman was the trigger but it was his underlying abuse that caused his craziness (along with Clyde's manipulation).  With Claire, it was because men (Theo and Tripp) preferred someone else over her.  

On a snarkier note:  It's been HOW many days since Caroline's memorial and Hope is STILL wearing her sparkly disco jacket.  My theory is that she's testing it out for when they rename her police commissioner (c'mon, we all see this coming a mile away, right?)  She's decided all the police uniforms should be made from sparkly disco fabric because you KNOW that shit can stop bullets.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

Sandman, there are a lot of people these days, both young and old, with mental health issues. Many are on meds for anxiety, depression, and other mental health disorders.

No argument here at all. I hope I didn't imply that mental health, and the growing awareness of mental health concerns, deserve anything less than serious consideration. I certainly didn't mean to. Perhaps I'm looking for responsible writing about mental health in the wrong genre.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

On a snarkier note:  It's been HOW many days since Caroline's memorial and Hope is STILL wearing her sparkly disco jacket.  My theory is that she's testing it out for when they rename her police commissioner (c'mon, we all see this coming a mile away, right?)  She's decided all the police uniforms should be made from sparkly disco fabric because you KNOW that shit can stop bullets.

I know!  It's so butt ugly, and on Hope it looks like she just escaped from a Sad Clown 12 Step Meeting.  

Or she's Pennywise's mother.  

giphy.gif

Hi Hope!  We all float in Salem!

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Sandman said:

No argument here at all. I hope I didn't imply that mental health, and the growing awareness of mental health concerns, deserve anything less than serious consideration. I certainly didn't mean to. Perhaps I'm looking for responsible writing about mental health in the wrong genre.

Didn't the show occasionally show a PSA about mental health issues or other things that came up?

• Useful 2
15 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Why did Abigail have to develop DID? why couldn't it be a man for once. Has a guy on a soap ever had DID?

Or here's a radical thought: what if we just retired DID as a trope altogether? (Also Evil Twins, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, hielandfoodie said:

Rafe and Carrie = ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

God he sucks! You know how some people just work really well with others? Rafe is like the opposite where he makes every woman he touches dull.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

No no don’t get rid of evil twins.  We need an escape for some characters.  

Shawn and Belle were very sweet and loving with their daughter.  John and Marlena were really pissed and scary with Eve.  Marlena really hasn’t spent much time with Claire.  She seemed more fixed on Ben right now.   John hasn’t spent anytime with his granddaughter either.  Neither one of them were around for her when her boyfriend was shot  

Tripp was the one person (who wasn’t using her like Eve )who really saw something was wrong but he didn’t reach out to anyone.  I kinda of understood why Shawn was angry with him.  

Claire will have lots of truths.  None of this excuses her. Her reactions to jealousy was very scary.  But I can see why she felt she could not go for help with her family members.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, hielandfoodie said:

Rafe and Carrie = ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

And pointless.  Let's not forget pointless since it looks like Carrie is off back to Europe (or wherever she came from). So they stop something (Rafe/Lani) which could have at least had on screen repercussions in favor of Rafe/Carrie.  I get that it could have potential on screen repercussions via a baby but that's only if Carrie returns longer term---and that's unlikely to happen as long as Christie Clark lives in England.

But hey, we get the big Eli/Lani engagement.  I don't even remember them getting back together.  Was it during the last episode they were on?  They're on together so little and it really feels like, since I've been watching, that their episodes that focused on them consisted of 1) sex 2) telling each other they loved one another 3) breakup 4) reunion and now 5) engagement.  I legit feel like the next episode where their story is about them and not them being supporting players to someone else's story will be their wedding.

As for the 4th of July celebration, what was with the outfits.  Couldn't they at least pretend that they didn't film this in Dec/January? Everyone was wearing heavy suits or long sleeves and pants.  I think only Hailey and Lani came somewhat close to appropriate 4th clothing. But I think that's mostly because of Hollywood's obsession with putting women in sleeveless tops all the time even if it's not weather appropriate.

I did like some of the scenes between Jack, Jennifer and Eve.  It cracked me up that Jennifer managed to reach the conclusion that Will blackmailed Jack into dropping the charges against JJ in exchange for the diary by Jack only saying Will's name.

And I lived for the fact that, while Eve was explaining the only reason Jack wanted the diary was so he could remember his children, he and Jennifer never stopped staring at one another. The writing might not be there but at least I got that.  I hate that it looks like the love story will only resume once he gets his memory back.  I would've liked to watch the process again without the history.

• Love 9

First, Happy 4th of July!  And second, Sarah is utterly obnoxious.  I did not think it was cutesy or adorable when she kept interrupting Rex's well meant speech--"Did you actually count?  There's more like sixteen people here."--dear GOD let the man talk and express a very kind, loving inclusive Independence Day thought.

And yeah, we get to have Lani walking around and being as pointless as Rafe and Carrie's one night stand--DAMN!!  Also, don't most barbecues happen out of doors and not in the Brady Pub?  At least take the festivities to Murder Park 🙂

• Love 8

Happy 4th to American viewers!

Haven't seen the show yet, but they could have held the bbq at Kidnap Kabin. There is already an accelerant available and having it there would mean a feast and the end of the kabin.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

Why is Jennifer wearing upholstery?

Shut up, Julie.

Mind your own business, Hope, Rafe isn't your husband any more.

Shut up, Julie.

Rafe was married to Sami as well as Hope, so he's as much family as any of them.

Mind your own business, Hope.  Rafe isn't your husband any more.

"You don't run other people's lives."  Bull crap, Lani.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I love how the writers acknowledges Carrie and Sarah's friendship by having them keep in close touch at all times. That's what real friends are for. 

By the way, I heard CC said that she'd return to acting since her children are growing up now. Who knows, we may see Carrie again sometimes later.  

2 hours ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

First, Happy 4th of July! And second, Sarah is utterly obnoxious.  I did not think it was cutesy or adorable when she kept interrupting Rex's well meant speech--"Did you actually count?  There's more like sixteen people here."--dear GOD let the man talk and express a very kind, loving inclusive Independence Day thought.

Sarah has really gotten to “bitch eating crackers” level with Rex and the constantly correcting of him and thinly hidden resentment. Remember Rex said right before he cheated in chicago she was always nit picking him and perpetually annoyed by his every move. It’s time they ended this farce of a relationship. Over than his cheating I think he’s likable and easy going and his cook out idea and hosting etiquette were very nice. 

Lani needs to get a new wig and pluck the part and hairline on the lace front. 

What was the point of Rafe sleeping with Carrie and making 2 episodes on it then her peacing out. No payoff (Carrie is super boring and gone now anyhow) and no one is clamoring to keep seeing Rafe in love triangles. 

I know Carrie and Sami aren’t blood related but they look so much alike now. 

Jens top was FrumpCity and too wintery for 4th July BBQ. 

Ciara has some nerve to say to Shawn she had no idea Claire would have a breakdown when the last 2 weeks she’s been scheming to cause that to occur and stating she wanted her to snap. 

I still find it bizarre in Salem, a town full of liars and secrets no one has password protection on their phone or facial recognition. 

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

I still find it bizarre in Salem, a town full of liars and secrets no one has password protection on their phone or facial recognition. 

I'm sure there's a mask for that.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

Sarah has really gotten to “bitch eating crackers” level with Rex and the constantly correcting of him and thinly hidden resentment. Remember Rex said right before he cheated in chicago she was always nit picking him and perpetually annoyed by his every move. It’s time they ended this farce of a relationship. Over than his cheating I think he’s likable and easy going and his cook out idea and hosting etiquette were very nice. 

She has, hasn't she?  While there are times I like Sarah, this tiresome triangle that she's in with Rex and 

giphy.gif

Sorrowful Jones aka Eric is long past its sell by date.  Rex may be a cheating dawg but he's kind, thoughtful and good hearted - and why are most of his family ready to toss him into the garbage heap over Eric, anyway?   I can't imagine being around Eric is all that much fun when you consider how damp everything must be from his constantly wet and weeping cow eyes.

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Why is Jennifer wearing upholstery?

Shut up, Julie.

Mind your own business, Hope, Rafe isn't your husband any more.

Shut up, Julie.

Rafe was married to Sami as well as Hope, so he's as much family as any of them.

Mind your own business, Hope.  Rafe isn't your husband any more.

"You don't run other people's lives."  Bull crap, Lani.

Beautiful post, Silver Raven.  Julie's appeal as anything other than a crash test dummy is lost on me.  She's loud, interfering, rude, usually wrong and anything but a comforting presence.  Lani does nobody any favors by telling her otherwise.  I hope the next time Julie puts her hands over that gaping maw of mouth she's got superglue on her fingers, anything to shut her up.

So no Maggie for the Horton/Brady barbeque?   

Poor Jenn, they're dressing her more and more like a head sister wife.  Jack is gonna need his memory back to feel any attraction when she's dressed like this is her last day before joining the convent.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 7
  • Love 7
(edited)

A clingy and self-assertive person who's obsessed with pushing his partner to marry him and wouldn't take no for an answer - sounds more like dictatorial than thoughtful to me.  I wonder why a fiery and strong-willed Sarah would be stuck with a guy like this.

Edited by Guest

That wall-eyed "Ah, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" face she made when Eli walked into the club was the most I've ever -- and I mean ev. er.  -- been entertained by Julie.

But, wait, there's more! Julie displays genuine self-awareness  and gives a true, clearly heartfelt apology?! It's a regular Fourth of July miracle! Wait -- is that a thing?

Happy Fourth, American friends.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, sweetautumn said:

A clingy and self-assertive person who's obsessed with pushing his partner to marry him and wouldn't take no for an answer - sounds more like dictatorial than thoughtful to me.  I wonder why a fiery and strong-willed Sarah would be stuck with a guy like this.

You said it, why would she?  All she had to do was say no.  Overtalking somebody is not the same as holding a gun to her head.  

• Love 12
(edited)
19 minutes ago, boes said:

You said it, why would she?  All she had to do was say no.  Overtalking somebody is not the same as holding a gun to her head.  

Well I am just point outing Rex's actions don't align with the notion of "thoughtfulness". And what Sarah should or shouldn't do doesn't change the fact the dude has a shitty personality. 

Edited by Guest

Eli and Lani marriage proposal was adorable.  

Lani and Eli are both beautiful people.  I want them to have a real wedding with a pretty dress and not in murder park.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

... and no one is clamoring to keep seeing Rafe in love triangles. 

Maybe Gering lobbies for them? Heaven knows no one else would.

• Love 1
On 7/1/2019 at 4:08 PM, BoldDays said:

I hope to hell we never see that damn Cabin again.

They should just go ahead and burn it to the ground for good. With no one in it this time.

• Love 9
(edited)
44 minutes ago, sweetautumn said:

Well I am just point outing Rex's actions don't align with the notion of "thoughtfulness". And what Sarah should or shouldn't do doesn't change the fact the dude has a shitty personality. 

I think his personality is just fine, except for being a little dim about seeing what's right in front of his eyes.

Edited by boes
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9
27 minutes ago, boes said:

I think his personality is just fine, except for being a little dim about seeing what's right in front of his eyes.

Agreed. At this point when they inevitably break up, I’m really hoping he’s the one to dump her. I’m finding her treatment of him obnoxious and condescending. If she’s not that into him, don’t marry him. It’s not that hard. 

• Love 11

Yeah I don’t find him shitty or pushy at all especially when compared to Brady, Eric, Xander, Rafe, Stafan all guys who man splain and inform their women love interests what to do or how wrong they are habitually. More than a few times Sarah, Eric, Brady and Maggie have been rude AF to Rex and he’s basically laughed it off or difused the tension, instead escalating it the way one of the above mentioned dudes would. 

• Love 9

Rex, please find someone better than Sarah Horton. You may have a good, kind heart, but she will nitpick you for the rest of the days of your lives.

It wasn't raining so the bbq could have been outside. But then, you'd probably need a permit to use the park and it's a last minute idea.

Julie, shut up. Hope, shut up. Rafe is not your husband any more and he can do whatever he likes.

Jennifer, your outfit was really bad for a July day. There are nice summer tops out there - even at Old Navy or the Gap or Talbots or J Crew or wherever. I could swear she turned beet red when she saw that JJ had a guest.

Eve, if Haley is out, she is out. No calling ICE or wherever tomorrow is going to work for you. You have the current problem of how to solve Jack so he won't seek his former memories and life back.

Otherwise, a dull ep.

• Love 5
On 7/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, tribeca said:

Eric yelling at Rafe 

“what are you going to go through all the women in my family “

me 😂😂😂😂😢 

Yeah Eric you're totally right there. How awful of Rafe to get involved with members of the same family!!!

It's almost as bad as a brother who lusts and plots after his brothers girlfriends/fiancee!!!!

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, JBC344 said:

Yeah Eric you're totally right there. How awful of Rafe to get involved with members of the same family!!!

It's almost as bad as a brother who lusts and plots after his brothers girlfriends/fiancee!!!!

On point! 

17 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And I lived for the fact that, while Eve was explaining the only reason Jack wanted the diary was so he could remember his children, he and Jennifer never stopped staring at one another. The writing might not be there but at least I got that. 

Haha - Matt and Melissa are such pros they can deliver even when the script cannot. 

So yeah, happy fourth and all, but that episode was kind of boring. I have no interest in Sarah and Rex at all, and find Sarah's constant perkiness a huge turnoff. I don't think it's her pairing with Rex, either - she's just one-dimensional and someone that I would avoid in real life. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, I forgot to mention this, I think the fact that everyone was watching fireworks there confirms that Salem Place (or whatever it's called) is not indoors. 

Haven't you figured out yet it is a magical place that moves from indoors to outdoors based on need?  (Actually I thought the pub wasn't in Salem Place but the geography of Salem is so wonky Einstein couldn't figure it out - some days it takes 20 minutes to drive somewhere and the next day someone else walks there in 5 minutes.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Oh, I forgot to mention this, I think the fact that everyone was watching fireworks there confirms that Salem Place (or whatever it's called) is not indoors. 

That is, until the writers need it to be an indoor concourse again. (ETA: Yeah, what DaphneCat said.) (Is it Horton Square? Or is that the official name of Murder Park?)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 3

Gabi better be careful or Kristen will put out a hit on her.

With Gabi Chic and Basic Black working together, what ever happened to Countess W?

Are there toilets in that little room Ted and Kate are locked in?

Isn't champagne sticky?

God, Eric's whining is really annoying.

I doubt that Sarah will be happy with Rex giving away the necklace.

• Love 10
42 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Gabi better be careful or Kristen will put out a hit on her.

With Gabi Chic and Basic Black working together, what ever happened to Countess W?

Isn't champagne sticky?

God, Eric's whining is really annoying.

I doubt that Sarah will be happy with Rex giving away the necklace.

I would certainly think Rex was banging Chloe in order for him to give her a forty thousand dollar necklace.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Isn't champagne sticky?

That was my thought as well.

I really like Rex and Chloe together. And I liked Rex/Chloe/Brady starting to wonder about the Kate situation.

I loved the Stefan/Gabi/Nicole scenes. Although AZ is starting to annoy me with how ott and animated she's playing Kristen-as-Nicole.

All in all I really enjoyed that ep, minus the Eric/Sarah scenes, which I fast forwarded lol.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Isn't champagne sticky?

Yes! I've never bathed in champagne (or really ever had it to drink) but that was my thought as well.  And spreading it all over his chest didn't make much sense.  When doing a quick wash, isn't it pretty normal to just wash select stinky parts of the body?

I defended Gabi's wardrobe before but that business alter top suit? Yeah no.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I defended Gabi's wardrobe before but that business alter top suit? Yeah no.

Agreed, but at least it is weather/season appropriate for July, unlike Nicoles long sleeve black sweater!!  I will never forget when she wore black leather pants and Brady had on long sleeve shirt when they took Holly to the 4th of July parade a couple years ago.  Even the other day for the BBQ half of them were wearing winter clothes.  I think thats is my biggest soap pet peeve....drives me crazy!!

• Love 10

Doug & Julie were wearing winter clothes (perhaps their Christmas wardrobe) for the 4th of July episode. I’ll give them a pass since they’re older. In fact, Bill Hayes is 94. That is simply amazing. Just standing alone is incredible but spouting all that dialogue, too. Totally awesome!

• Love 11
(edited)

It's ironic for me to say this given my objection to Rex's fratty characteristics, but I experience a paradigm shift after re-watching recent episodes today. It's as though Rex/Sarah is really in love hence why they tied the knot. And Eric is an afterthought.  It seems to me this has more to do with both actors' chemistry than the actual writing.

The Ted/Kate parts were rare examples of actual humor that is desperately needed.

Edited by Guest
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Isn't champagne sticky?

There is no bathroom - hence no water to drink or wash with.  Unless there's something in the corner they've been ignoring, we're supposed to think people can magically go for days with no need to pee.  I know this may qualify as a spoiler but they showed Ted today wiping himself off with his shirt.  He is shown in a spoiler wearing the same white shirt magically without stains or wrinkles!!!  I need one of those magic shirts.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Is there some sort of bucket in that room to use a toilet facility? Otherwise, ewwwww.

Can't imagine that there would be decent champagne in that room. With its alcohol content it would be somewhat sanitary.

Rex, it is poor form to regift your wife's new necklace to another woman. Especially such an expensive one. The right thing to do is to return it to Xander. Or sell it and give the proceeds to the hospital or better yet, your own place!

If I wore Gabi's tube top type top to work, I'd be sent home to change. Way too much skin showing for 'work'. Nicole's fit a bit better because of summer air conditioning. Some workplaces are iceboxes. Nicole did slip with the 'father' comment. Surely other people can sense that she is 'off' a bit. Especially Brady wondering where Kate was and how all of a sudden she was at some faraway conference. Check the books, Brady to see if there is a travel claim from her, airfare and hotel and conference fees booked.

• Love 4