Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

Man alive, I felt bludgeoned over the head with that stupid phrase. I thought for a second that EJ's name had legally been changed to "love of my life."

Shut up, Brady! Shut up! Perhaps you want to cast your memory back a few months and recall how you were going to get back together with Theresa when she came back and then dumped her with no regard for the pain and suffering she had gone through for months. You are not anyone who should be lecturing anyone about crushing someone's heart.

And I'm already sick to death of Will and Sonny being made to look like callous villains because they want to be together. Neither Will or Sonny asked for Will to be almost killed by Ben and then injected with some serum that wiped his memory and for him to then be kidnapped/brainwashed by Susan. Sonny didn't ask Ben to interrupt his wedding to Paul with news of his husband still being alive. Was he still supposed to go through with the wedding knowing his freakin' husband could still be alive (which would make the wedding pointless anyway.)

And, I'm sorry, but I care fuck all about good guy Paul's feelings here. He was not some innocent victim of Sonny or Will's. Didn't Sonny and Paul basically get back together literally on Will's grave? Paul knew damn well Sonny was grieving his husband and he was more than likely a rebound guy but he still went all into that relationship. His actions with Will are even dumber. He had just been dumped by Sonny so he could get back together with Will and the only reason that didn't work out was that Will didn't have his memories back. Paul decided to roll the dice and get together with his ex-fiance's ex-husband. You know what happens when you gamble? Sometimes you lose. And, it was so stupid of both Will and Paul to act like because Will got a couple of memories back and his feelings didn't return that they were all in the clear. Both of them should have realized how things could change once all of WIll's memories returned. I also don't feel too bad for Paul given it took him two seconds to get over the "devastation" of losing Sonny. Maybe he can go and find another ex of Sonny's to get together with after he gets his heart broken again since he seems to love being someone's sloppy seconds.

I want to take this post and hang it up so that every person who is crying about how Sonny and Will are treating Paul can read it and maybe learn something.

4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Is Brady an ass and raging hypocrite? Yup. Just as most of Salem is. But - and I say this as one that generally hates retconned characters/family members - I was okay with his treatment of Will because, well, Paul is his brother. Blood, and all that.

I'm well aware that "bond" will be fleeting, but then, that can be said for almost any relationship on this show. So, while Brady may not have been the best choice to go after Will, I got his motivation, so I was okay with it.

Please.  Brady didn’t give a damn about his brother until he jumped out that window.  So, all this nonsense with Brady is false.  And really, he should’ve been struck by lightning as soon as he opened his mouth.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, boes said:

Getting in Will's face, looming over him with his hairless gym-bro bully beef is the usual with him, be it men or women.  He always gives off a physically threatening vibe, he's even done it to Maggie.  Maybe he could pay at least the minimal amount of attention to his own failings for once and draw back from sticking his shiny Rudolph nose in other people's business.  

Yes, I think that's why I started to develop sympathy for Theresa.  Brady was always hulking over her yelling at her about something really important like she better get her ass in gear and get Melanie a new ID card because Melanie didn't think the picture on it was cute enough.  JL always played it like she was somewhat afraid he was going to snap and hit her.  He always gets in someone's face and uses his size to intimidate them.  What is Will supposed to do - spend the rest of his life with someone he doesn't really want to be with just so he doesn't hurt Paul's feelings?  

• Love 6
7 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5833390

Wow, a Meryl gif! Awesome! :)

7 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Will is also his nephew, he has known Will much longer than retcon Paul.  I had a problem with his treatment of Will. Paul always gets favorable writing over Wilson. 

Huh, I guess it's not that uncommon on soaps these days, especially one like Days with so many interconnected families, but I didn't realize Brady was related to each of the players in this Will/Sonny/Paul triangle. Probably another reason he should stay out of it.

2 hours ago, superdeluxe said:

I want to take this post and hang it up so that every person who is crying about how Sonny and Will are treating Paul can read it and maybe learn something.

:))

Edited by FilmTVGeek80
  • Love 6

Also, does anyone else remember that young guy who once tried to pursue Paul to no avail because he was, sadly, hung up on Sonny?

I do! I do! Henry, the teen with floppy hair who was Claire's date to the 80's themed prom that got retconned into a graduation prom.

I miss those days, when Claire seemed to be a sweet girl with a love of music.

My only real problem with Will and Sonny, aside from the fact that I hate Freddie now, is that I just don't know where the show can take them at this point. They already have a kid they've already been married... I guess they get remarried? Maybe one of them has a medical emergency? We got to watch them build their careers? I'm just not excited about seeing what becomes of them. And because Freddie has fallen so far as an actor I'm especially enthusiastic towards the idea of Chandler having a better scene partner.

I haven't been watching everything lately, but it seems like Will just got his memories Back and now he's head over heels in love with Sonny. That's really boring. I didn't expect Ron to abruptly write an ending to this. He's dragged everything else out so I expected Will to gradually get memories every week until November sweeps until he finally had the whole picture again. I guess not.

I feel like Ron has given us a lot of really abrupt endings to storylines since he came on the show. Adrienne spent a comically long time in jail given how easily she could prove she wasn't Bonnie, and then was freed and paired back up with Justin in a matter of episodes, and then promptly disappeared. Vivian was written off very abruptly just a few months ago, and now Steve has also joined the ranks. I still can't believe they got rid of Anna without even discussing it for 6 months. The payoff has to be good too, Ron.

I think the show has gone back and forth on Paul as a character so many times that all we really have to go by is the appeal of the actor. I like him now, but I still don't like the characters origins or the way he supposedly fell in love with both halves of a married couple. It really irks me that the show's most significant gay couple has been in a three-way relationship for years now. I know there have been love triangles on soaps forever, but there's something really skeevy about knowing each of these men were in bed with each other and that they're just sort of rotating and proclaiming true love to one another every time. If this was a real world scenario, true love wouldn't exactly be the first words to come to mind.

If this show was realistic at all, it would have bothered to write a few scenes where Paul discusses with somebody - anybody - how his feelings for Will differ from his feelings for Sonny. Will was just a one-night stand that went extremely badly to the point where Will and Paul hated each other's guts. Sleeping with him while he's an amnesiac and doesn't remember that he hates you? Shouldn't Paul have some feelings about that? Is that satisfying for him on some level because it's almost like getting the ultimate revenge on the snotty guy who prevented him from getting with Sonny all those years ago? With which guy was the sex better? With which guy has Paul had more fun? These are all questions the show could have explored and that would have at least made Paul's storylines the last few years feel worthwhile. Ultimately, he's just been some sort of strange, sad, pitiable stalling tactic for Sonny and Will's relationship. By the time those two are back together, we will be exactly where we were right before Paul showed up on the show. I definitely don't think that this massive detour was worth it.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Whatever happened to Vivian?  Why isn't she following Stefan around the DiMera mansion anymore?  

Kate shot and "killed" her. Then someone (perhaps Kristen) injected her with Rolph's magic serum, so she may be undead again.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

If someone was paying attention, they'd try to incorporate some humor into [Stefan/Kristen's] scenes.  

They're like all humor to me lol.

12 hours ago, tribeca said:

Kristin and Stefan were very hard to hear but I find them interesting.    

OK good, it wasn't just me.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

If this show was realistic at all, it would have bothered to write a few scenes where Paul discusses with somebody - anybody - how his feelings for Will differ from his feelings for Sonny. Will was just a one-night stand that went extremely badly to the point where Will and Paul hated each other's guts. Sleeping with him while he's an amnesiac and doesn't remember that he hates you? Shouldn't Paul have some feelings about that? Is that satisfying for him on some level because it's almost like getting the ultimate revenge on the snotty guy who prevented him from getting with Sonny all those years ago? With which guy was the sex better? With which guy has Paul had more fun? These are all questions the show could have explored and that would have at least made Paul's storylines the last few years feel worthwhile. Ultimately, he's just been some sort of strange, sad, pitiable stalling tactic for Sonny and Will's relationship. By the time those two are back together, we will be exactly where we were right before Paul showed up on the show. I definitely don't think that this massive detour was worth it.

The writers should have given Paul a point of view.  There have been some good elements in this SL, but it would have been better with all three characters getting some kind of development.  Now it's heading to right back where it started.

After years of being so vocal about not liking Ejami, I wonder why Ken Corday is now okay with Sami and everyone else proclaiming EJ to be the love of Sami's life.?

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

The writers should have given Paul a point of view.  There have been some good elements in this SL, but it would have been better with all three characters getting some kind of development.  Now it's heading to right back where it started.

The only thing that would make sense if Paul would admit that he rebounded with Will after losing Sonny whom he has been in love with for years. And some part of falling into a relationship with Will was because Sonny hurt him so much when he got dumped for Will.

19 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

After years of being so vocal about not liking Ejami, I wonder why Ken Corday is now okay with Sami and everyone else proclaiming EJ to be the love of Sami's life.?

I think because EJ is. But on the show, it can't be Rafe as they are still trying to make Rafe and Hope a thing. And it won't be Lucas as Sami has turned to EJ twice when she was still involved/attached to Lucas. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

Whatever happened to Vivian?  Why isn't she following Stefan around the DiMera mansion anymore?  

I see now plurie has answered. So, do we think Viv's still mostly dead?

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Aw, Lucas' joy at Will getting his memories back gave me the warm and fuzzies.  And his advice to Will was good, I feel like Lucas has often being the strung-along third wheel and has to know nothing good can come from it.  Conversely, I'm beyond sick of these scenes of Adrienne babying Sonny.  Maybe the twins or Alex could use some mothering, Ade.

Have Belle and Paul had scenes before?

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 7
20 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Brady reading Will was enjoyable. It being Brady who did it made it even more enjoyable really because it was just so absurdly hypocritical that it was hilarious.

I liked the Stefan/Kristen scenes. Whatever, sue me! Although honestly I couldn't hear half of what they were saying most of the time.

Gabi continues to be my everything.

stefan without abby is not bad.

no one beats hope for not being able to hear what they are saying. i wish someone on the show would tell her to speak up. she actually whispers half her lines. and i hate her. 

• Love 4

I loved today's family interactions.  I loved Eric and Belle. Eric made me cry, how is it possible that Greg Vaughn is so damn pretty even when he is crying. I will never understand why the show has never made Eric the leading male on the show. He is Roman and Marlena's son.  He should be driving stories.  

I loved John with his sons. I need Brady to start being a Black again and I need a John/Eric story that re-establishes their bond as father and son.  Perhaps, Roman becomes a little resentful and jealous. 

I loved Belle and Brady worrying over Paul. Nice sister/brother interaction, then she had to go there..

Belle really hates Sami. I guess she would have preferred that Paul let Kristen kill Sami, jeez.. I don't remember Carrie being this hateful and she had good reasons to hate Sami.

I loved Lucas/Will. I have always loved that relationship. Will is his heart and soul. I have no doubt that he loves Allie, but, Will is his everything. 

Bonnie is ridiculous. I will say that Judy looks beautiful in that wig, she needs to keep her hair long. That severe haircut does her no favors.

I loved Sonny with Adrienne. Freddie is always good in scenes with Wally and Judy.  Adrienne does baby Sonny at times, but, I understand why she does it. Sonny is her miracle baby, after she suffered a miscarriage and had trouble conceiving that put a lot of strain on her marriage to Justin.  I always thought that was a good story for Justin and Adrienne. A lot of couples in real life struggle with infertility and that sometimes will end marriages. 

I wish that Ron had put in a bit of effort in the Will/Paul/Sonny triangle. This is just going to make Wilson look bad, while Paul remains a saint.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 10
53 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

Have Belle and Paul had scenes before?

Rarely and barely. She once hired him to look into Jennifer falling off the sobriety wagon when there was the short lived custody battle over Chad and Abby's son. 

9 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

This is just going to make Wilson look bad, while Paul remains a saint.  

I don't see it as such.

Paul is getting a raw deal of sorts but it was unavoidable and bound to happen, and frankly I am more than glad it's finally happened,  I felt Paul was weighed down in both relationships with those two. 

Ron obviously wants to play around with Will and Sonny so he's rushed their reunion,  knowing him he merely sees this all as giving the fans what they want, not painting either in a poor light, he's often blind and single minded in his writing. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Will is also his nephew, he has known Will much longer than retcon Paul.  I had a problem with his treatment of Will. Paul always gets favorable writing over Wilson. 

Thank you.  There are times like these where you can really see the "blind spots" in the writing when characters behave incredibly hypocritical and there is no acknowledgement.  Yes, Brady and Paul are brothers and we have even seen them in a good amount of scenes together over the years but that doesn't erase his connection to Will. The scene should of been told with more confliction from Brady's side. 

Or if they really wanted to get clever they could of shown Grady's resentment over Sonny "getting" Will over Paul, since there is no love lost in his relationship with Sonny.

It reminded me of the scenes we had months ago with Eric and Claire when he was photographing her.  Not knowing their history, you would of never known the two are related.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, nilyank said:

I think because EJ is.

Ken Corday never believed that, and was very vocal about it.  Petty little jerk that he is, I'm wondering if this his way of continuing to screw with the Ejamis, and get in some digs at James Scott for leaving.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

Ken Corday never believed that, and was very vocal about it.  Petty little jerk that he is, I'm wondering if this his way of continuing to screw with the Ejamis, and get in some digs at James Scott for leaving.

Those hacked emails were very telling on how Ken Corday's mind worked. He was so worried about losing both James and Alyson, he did nothing to keep them long term and  made no plans to continue without them.  They had warned him the year before that they were leaving, he assumed that they would have stayed and was offended when they did do what they had intended to do.  What a dumbass!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Aw, Lucas' joy at Will getting his memories back gave me the warm and fuzzies.  And his advice to Will was good, I feel like Lucas has often being the strung-along third wheel and has to know nothing good can come from it. 

I did love Lucas' reaction to realizing that Will had all of his memories back and Will's remembering his childhood was adorable.  Lucas' advice was sound and wise and obviously from hard experience just like Brady's was--the only difference is that Lucas can separate his pain from the Will and Paul situation, while Brady sees himself and Paul as victims who are owed everything.  He wants Will to live a lie because we all know that's how Brady would handle it because he's all about self-sacrifice.  Right?

I loved Abby's facial expression when Gabi was spewing her hate--she talks about accountability but man, Abs did not like hearing how she wronged Gabi.  It must be inconvenient to actually be faced with the truth about her own awful behavior.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Paul knows what's going on.

He had a rather epic line, I thought, when he noted to Will that one normally doesn't "break" good news to people when he asked Will about what he had intended to tell him before the incident and Will tried to cover with the regaining his memory bit.

Unless they write him as being completely brainless,  which I would never put past Ron, Paul will surely realise what's happened and that he and Will are finished. 

I would much prefer Paul walking away in this instance. 

It's about time he open his eyes to the vast, wide world of dating and relationships. 

Doesn't he have millions of baseball bucks?

Can he now start living it up and have his own identity forged through experiences that have nothing to do with the same two men? 

It's so exhausting to see how small and repetitive they keep the gay community on this show.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, AnswersWanted said:

He had a rather epic line, I thought, when he noted to Will that one normally doesn't "break" good news to people when he asked Will about what he had intended to tell him before the incident and Will tried to cover with the regaining his memory bit.

Unless they write him as being completely brainless,  which I would never put past Ron, Paul will surely realise what's happened and that he and Will are finished. 

I would much prefer Paul walking away in this instance. 

It's about time he open his eyes to the vast, wide world of dating and relationships. 

Doesn't he have millions of baseball bucks?

Can he now start living it up and have his own identity forged through experiences that have nothing to do with the same two men? 

It's so exhausting to see how small and repetitive they keep the gay community on this show.

Will should have come back in a relationship with Orpheus grandson. It would connect Will's missing years to Marlena's while incorporating Jarlena's history  with Orpheus as well.  The show should have built up Paulson while Will was gone or give Sonny another love interest.. Orpheus children could have already been in Salem wreaking havoc on Roman, Marlena and John, while holding the truth about Will being alive as a bargaining chip for their survival..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, nilyank said:

The only thing that would make sense if Paul would admit that he rebounded with Will after losing Sonny whom he has been in love with for years. And some part of falling into a relationship with Will was because Sonny hurt him so much when he got dumped for Will.

This. All of this. Put it in a frame and hang it up in a museum. I am so thankful that someone else sees it this way. For this and so many other reasons, I need Sparkle to be gone asap.

• Love 4

Will, how nice to have no more use for Paul that you have your memories back. You should also remember how dysfunctional your relationship with Sonny was - the cheating, the inequity between the two of you in terms of life experience. Paul seems to be a good guy and is not like an overripe fruit you throw away. Paul should be questioning his place in Will's and Sonny's lives at this point - well, once he recovers from whatever surgery he had, Would be nice if someone actually mentioned what the problem was - internal bleeding or something?

Paul would be better off leaving Salem for a while and then Sonny and Will can re-implode.

Bonnie gave birth to a baby? At her age? Unless it's one of these miracle late 40s/early 50s things. And she now wants to spring it on Lucas?

Haven't seen Chloe in a long time.

Belle, you do hate your big sister.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Will, how nice to have no more use for Paul that you have your memories back. You should also remember how dysfunctional your relationship with Sonny was - the cheating, the inequity between the two of you in terms of life experience.

That's really my issue - he's got his full memories, which means he's got his full memories. But he's really not acting that way. They're writing it as if when he was murdered, his marriage had been rock-solid and loving and he'd never so much considered being with another guy. Instead, he cheated on Sonny with two different men and Sonny left him, amid a boatload of other issues that had never been worked out. Will's last memories are of him dying, alone because his husband had left him and their daughter and gone to another continent indefinitely. He's acting more like his last memory is from his wedding day when everything was perfect. I understand him being drawn back to Sonny; I don't understand him not being more torn between feelings for each of the two men. I don't think he should be with someone he doesn't want to be with, but the all-in-with-Sonny thing just doesn't track.

I've seen soap stories like this before, where the amnesiac person has a relationship with someone else and then immediately goes back to the original significant other upon regaining memories, but the difference is that in those stories the original relationship had been in a good place at the time of "death." This is a lot messier, but the writers are choosing not to deal with it.

• Love 9

ok, so Marlena had signed a DNR or other "do not take heroic measures" document, this could possibly be interesting

I did like being reminded of the ways that so many characters are related that I sometimes forget

also back to the Steve stuff, I did not know that he was still a spy/with the ISA? I thought he was running the BlackPatch PI agency with John and Paul, and now he has been seeing classified documents with his bionic eye? what did I miss??

• Love 3

Nice, very nice scenes yesterday with Lucas and Will when he found out his son had regained his memories.  Most of Lucas' most memorable scenes over these past few years have been when he's interacting with Will, or having a reaction to something that's happened to Will.  His performance when Will was (temporarily) murdered was just tremendous.  Though maybe that's not surprising, since Show has given him little to do other than either react to Will or be a drunk for the past number of years.  In any case, nice work!

Damn, Belle, STFU.  And I generally LIKE Belle.  But all this Sami hatred is so over-the-top and irrational.  She's supposed to be the even-keeled, lawyerly type yet for some reason she's refusing to acknowledge the complexities of the situation - or, apparently, that it was obviously an accident.  In any case, the B.S. meter is off the charts when we have to listen to Belle bellyache a day after listening to Brady and his bellowing.  Shhhh.....kiddies, drink your milk and go beddy-bye and give us a break.

While I thought CM did a decent job in his scenes with Lucas, not so much with Paul.  The guy just woke up from falling out a window and CM's Will reaction was so flat I wasn't sure he even KNEW the guy.  Paul can already smell a rat.  Trouble is, this is Salem and the smell is pervasive.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

That's really my issue - he's got his full memories, which means he's got his full memories. But he's really not acting that way. They're writing it as if when he was murdered, his marriage had been rock-solid and loving and he'd never so much considered being with another guy. Instead, he cheated on Sonny with two different men and Sonny left him, amid a boatload of other issues that had never been worked out. Will's last memories are of him dying, alone because his husband had left him and their daughter and gone to another continent indefinitely. He's acting more like his last memory is from his wedding day when everything was perfect. I understand him being drawn back to Sonny; I don't understand him not being more torn between feelings for each of the two men. I don't think he should be with someone he doesn't want to be with, but the all-in-with-Sonny thing just doesn't track.

I've seen soap stories like this before, where the amnesiac person has a relationship with someone else and then immediately goes back to the original significant other upon regaining memories, but the difference is that in those stories the original relationship had been in a good place at the time of "death." This is a lot messier, but the writers are choosing not to deal with it.

Which is a shame because it would have added to the SL, and given all three characters more to do.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Black Knight said:

True, Will has said that he loves Paul, but is in love with Sonny. Will died loving Sonny, regardless how bad things were in the end.  Will has always been about Sonny. I always knew once he regained his memory, he would run to Sonny.

I saw Will being infatuated with Paul and being able to have sex without hurting Susan's delicate sensibilities who wanted him to be straight like EJ.  It was foolhardy for Paul to get involved with an amnesiac Will, knowing the ugly history that he had with Will. Will was actively trying to get rid of him and used ugly methods to achieve his goals. 

I don't like how Ron is rushing the Wilson reunion because once again Paul will be a saint.  It irritates me that Wilson individually or collectively has to be trashed to elevate Saint Paul.

Ron should have delved into why Will always attaches himself so quickly to men, he did it first with Sonny and then with Paul as an amnesiac.  Is it related to the instability he experienced with his parents.   He could have done a character analysis on Will that could have pushed him to make healthy decisions about his life for himself and for his daughter.  I wanted an amnesiac Will to explore his sexuality without the baggage of his past.  Perhaps, Will experiences Homophobia and he begins to wonder how that will impact Arianna as she grows up.  These are issues that Ron could explore..I also wanted the Wilson reunion to be a slow burn as they get to know each other as parents and friends.

I am happy that Ron retconned that LA hookup, it was designed to smear Will and make Paul look better in comparison when the show was on the Paulson train.  It was like when Tomsell brought up Jack's past as a rapist to get JJ to be more accepting of Saint Daniel.  It was unnecessary and cruel.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 10

So I've been away from DOOL for years (decades, even!), when I watched it was super couples Jen/Jack, Hope/Bo, Patch/Kayla.  I recently retired and since I'm home while the show is on I actually accidentally caught a few minutes here and there.  I just wanted to say that I love the fact that there is a gay love triangle, and it's handled pretty much like any other triangle (ridiculously, but still!) And the comments here are the same for them as all other characters.  It actually makes me feel good about how the world is changing as far as acceptance when gay characters can be just as jerky as other characters, and people feel free to criticize them for their personality instead of their sexuality.  I hope that doesn't sound stupid...However, I do not like the fact that there is STILL Marlena crises galore!  At least now I have a DVR and FF :)

Off to read other threads to find out what's happened in the last 20 years!

• Love 18
35 minutes ago, tjsmom said:

So I've been away from DOOL for years (decades, even!), when I watched it was super couples Jen/Jack, Hope/Bo, Patch/Kayla.  I recently retired and since I'm home while the show is on I actually accidentally caught a few minutes here and there.  I just wanted to say that I love the fact that there is a gay love triangle, and it's handled pretty much like any other triangle (ridiculously, but still!) And the comments here are the same for them as all other characters.  It actually makes me feel good about how the world is changing as far as acceptance when gay characters can be just as jerky as other characters, and people feel free to criticize them for their personality instead of their sexuality.  I hope that doesn't sound stupid...However, I do not like the fact that there is STILL Marlena crises galore!  At least now I have a DVR and FF :)

I love your post!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tjsmom said:

Welcome back.  I would suggest the "Got questions, We've got answers" thread in the Days Forum.  You can get a lot of history from that thread.  Also feel free to ask as many questions as you like.  Those of us on here love catching people up. 

• Love 4

I love that Will, Sonny, and Paul are allowed to have problems, triangles, marry, divorce, cheat, etc. like the other characters.  The problem with the SL is the writers often rush things, or ignore the past.  However, that's consistent with other characters and SLs as well.

There were somethings I didn't like about the SL.  The main one being the "Will is just like Sami" nonsense.  It was cheap and lazy writing as well as not being true.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 8

I am happy that Ron retconned that LA hookup

..... when did he do that? I'm very behind on the show in general, two months behind exactly, but I saw the wedding episodes. Did Will reveal something after he got his memories back about that affair in LA not being true?

Welcome, TJSMOM! I wholeheartedly agree with your comments and no, that does not sound stupid at all. I think that is exactly what everyone is hoping for - for the world to become a place where people are judged by the content of their character first and foremost.

I do think however you should know that about a year-and-a-half to two years ago the show pretty much erased all the gay characters from the canvas. Will's death was part of the big push to get rid of all the progress they had made when they first had the character come out. It was really stomach-churning because the show got all sorts of acclaim for their coming out storyline for Will, and then disposed of him after pushing him into the background for months and making him into someone extremely unlikable (the LA affair being one of many examples). And they did all of this to coincide with the show's 50th Anniversary no less! It was a very dark time.

Thankfully head writer Ron is gay himself and has, I think, the support of the vast majority of the viewers who picked up on this shift and complained about it. That's why we're now seeing a different kind of show. I still think it would be better to have two more gay or bi characters around to round things out, but for the time being at least there are three. (FYI, Paul was the only gay character around for a while because Sonny was absent from the series for a stretch. He was "gay" but you'd never know it at the time from watching his scenes.

Since you were a big fan back in the day, I'm curious to hear what you think about Roman as he is today :)

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

when did he do that? I'm very behind on the show in general, two months behind exactly, but I saw the wedding episodes. Did Will reveal something after he got his memories back about that affair in LA not being true?

They just slid over it like it didn't happen.

But they also slid over Sonny going to Europe and leaving Will behind.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

They just slid over it like it didn't happen.

But they also slid over Sonny going to Europe and leaving Will behind.

And this is another missed opportunity.  The writers should have had Paul get involved with amnesiac Will because he was angry at Sonny.  However, then Paul really does fall for Will.  Will slowly begins to get his memories back and Paul worries what that will mean for him and Will.  Will remembers the problems he and Sonny had and questions whether they can make things work.  Not only, because they had problems, but because their solutions to those problems were cheating and leaving the country.  Bring on some other gay characters that are actual competition, and make it believable that there is no guarantee of an ending which involves Will, Sonny and Paul paired up with each other.

• Love 6

Thoughts for the week:

Brady telling Will off -  I can understand both viewpoints that have been expressed in this thread. Honestly, though, I loved the hell out of those scenes. I mean, if Brady of all people is telling you not to be such an asshole, then you've royally forked up. Just sayin'. Also, even if the writers rarely remember that Brady and Paul are related, I enjoyed seeing Brady's concern for his brother. It was quite a nice change to see this side of Brady - the friend, the brother, instead of the rageaholic caveman that just thinks with his crotch. If only they'd let this side of Brady show more often.

Also enjoyed Gabi giving Abby a piece of her mind, though I still know without a doubt that the Salem gods will smite Gabi sooner or later for daring to tarnish Saint Abigail's halo... no matter how deserved it was.

Belle, kindly STFU. Thank you.

Boy, Kristen didn't have to be back in town long before the Salem Stupids kicked back in. Why in the world did you think Stefan would let you just waltz around DiMansion knowing the cops would be breaking down the door to look for you? Sheesh. Though I loved Lani and Eli's expressions after Stefan refused to let them search the tunnels - "This seems really suspicious but I can't quite put my finger on why."

Loved Lucas and Will's scenes, they were quite heartwarming. This is the stuff that makes me love soaps.

Bonnie: What are you doing here?
Maggie: Giving you a piece of my mind.

Me: Can you spare it?

Me: Like anyone can stop you.

Me: Do you really have to, Maggie?

Me: *FF scene*

Greg Vaughn continues to be smokin' hot.

Adrienne's haircut continues to frighten me. Bonnie may be the human equivalent of Doritos (fun at first before quickly leaving you nauseated) but her hair is much better looking than Adrienne's.

TV gods help me, I hope there are some Ben scenes next week. How low my standards for entertainment have sunk!

• Love 9
18 hours ago, TigerLynx said:

The writers should have had Paul get involved with amnesiac Will because he was angry at Sonny. 

This would involve giving Sparkle an actual personality, as opposed to just the bland "niceness" he's usually consigned to. (Or at least owning up to the fact that Sparkle is actually kind of a dick -- or at least he used to be, but the show won't have that, either.)

I'm pretty much FF'ing and sticking my fingers in my ears, on the third chorus of "Lalala lalalalala" where iEye Steve and Kayla are concerned. Ain't real. Nope. NO.

Bonnie Lockhart, Human Dorito! Heeeeeheee. Wonderful.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6
On 9/8/2018 at 11:42 AM, Apprentice79 said:

True, Will has said that he loves Paul, but is in love with Sonny. Will died loving Sonny, regardless how bad things were in the end.  Will has always been about Sonny. I always knew once he regained his memory, he would run to Sonny.

I saw Will being infatuated with Paul and being able to have sex without hurting Susan's delicate sensibilities who wanted him to be straight like EJ.  It was foolhardy for Paul to get involved with an amnesiac Will, knowing the ugly history that he had with Will. Will was actively trying to get rid of him and used ugly methods to achieve his goals. 

I don't like how Ron is rushing the Wilson reunion because once again Paul will be a saint.  It irritates me that Wilson individually or collectively has to be trashed to elevate Saint Paul.

Ron should have delved into why Will always attaches himself so quickly to men, he did it first with Sonny and then with Paul as an amnesiac.  Is it related to the instability he experienced with his parents.   He could have done a character analysis on Will that could have pushed him to make healthy decisions about his life for himself and for his daughter.  I wanted an amnesiac Will to explore his sexuality without the baggage of his past.  Perhaps, Will experiences Homophobia and he begins to wonder how that will impact Arianna as she grows up.  These are issues that Ron could explore..I also wanted the Wilson reunion to be a slow burn as they get to know each other as parents and friends.

I am happy that Ron retconned that LA hookup, it was designed to smear Will and make Paul look better in comparison when the show was on the Paulson train.  It was like when Tomsell brought up Jack's past as a rapist to get JJ to be more accepting of Saint Daniel.  It was unnecessary and cruel.  

I agree with most of this, it's just that I had never thought of Will as quickly attaching himself to other men. That's been my view of Paul, which is why I had been convinced that Will was a rebound for him.

I could not agree with you more, though, regarding Saint Paul and that LA retcon. There's a way they could turn the story on its head a bit (by having Paul play dirty now that he realizes where things are headed), which would result in Will & Sonny still being the rooting couple, but that would mean they'd have to sully the great Sparkle's character - you and I know that ain't happening! And the LA hookup was despicable. GW obviously didn't go over well as Will and the writing just piled on the character while he was in the role. Thank goodness that detail has at least been rectified. Don't even get me started on how it makes no sense for Sparkle to be John's kid, lol.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, QueenSerena said:

I agree with most of this, it's just that I had never thought of Will as quickly attaching himself to other men. That's been my view of Paul, which is why I had been convinced that Will was a rebound for him.

I could not agree with you more, though, regarding Saint Paul and that LA retcon. There's a way they could turn the story on its head a bit (by having Paul play dirty now that he realizes where things are headed), which would result in Will & Sonny still being the rooting couple, but that would mean they'd have to sully the great Sparkle's character - you and I know that ain't happening! And the LA hookup was despicable. GW obviously didn't go over well as Will and the writing just piled on the character while he was in the role. Thank goodness that detail has at least been rectified. Don't even get me started on how it makes no sense for Sparkle to be John's kid, lol.

Exactly!!!!!  This would of been the perfect opportunity to inject some "gray" into Paul.  If this were any other straight soap character, we would have Paul unwittingly overhear that Will has his memories back and use that to his advantage to keep Will.  Paul playing up his injuries while also milking the fact of how much he needs Will's support and its the one thing he can count and hold on to, blah blah blah.

They are writing Paul way to saintly in all this.  Hell, even when he was threatened with loosing Sonny he kept Will being alive for what 24hrs before he eventually caved and told the truth. 

• Love 7
53 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

They are writing Paul way to saintly in all this.  Hell, even when he was threatened with loosing Sonny he kept Will being alive for what 24hrs before he eventually caved and told the truth. 

I don’t see it as him being saintly, I actually like seeing a character not suddenly morph into a petty, selfish, agenda filled monster because they cannot have what or whomever they want,

I like messy soap characters fine, but I also like balance and seeing adults be adults.

To me Paul is far from perfect, he’s made quite a few mistakes and he doesn’t pretend otherwise, but he also isn’t the type to go looking for trouble or wants to wrecking ball lives just to get his way.

Those like Brady and Stefan and Chad and quite a few others seem to fill that role plenty, I want a good guy to root for sometimes.

I also don’t think Paul’s “goodness” reflects badly on Will and Sonny.

I personally don’t care for the pair based on their own past behavior, long, long before Paul ever showed up, and the fact I think both characters lack a lot and always have. 

Even if they removed Paul completely from their story I would still view them as very silly and ridiculous, and purposefully blind to the facts and truth about their not so great romance and love. 

IMO, Will and Sonny have always been their own worse enemies. 

Anyway, on to today’s episode.

Christopher Sean makes me believe him in his scenes, I sometimes take that for granted on a soap. 

Curious choice to have Roman play stand in Daddy for Paul, though it was kind of sweet to see him being able to comfort someone since so often he is kept away from much of his family during times of crisis. 

Like Sami for instance, she and Roman still haven’t had a single scene, of importance anyhow, it’s so dumb how they compartmentalize characters away from their closest relatives. 

Will and Sonny were themselves as usual, that’s all I got.

I have no words for the whole baby crisis Lucas is facing. What about this idea screamed “must make happen” to the writing team? 

I remember when I last tuned out from watching, over a decade ago, they were consistently wasting Lucas and some things just never change.

Belle, you better strap in when confronting John, it’s not going to go well. 

If only I cared about any of it at all. 

Greg is just delicious to look at, at least he gave me something good to focus on in the scenes with sniffling Belle. 

• Love 9

I loved the Belle/Eric scenes. We never get them. So, I am loving it.  I feel that Sherry was at the wheel when these scenes were written. The Brady family was her baby. 

Is it just me or does Greg Vaugh have inappropriate chemistry with the actresses who play his sisters. His chemistry with Alyson Sweeney is at times very distracting.  

This Lucas story is so stupid. I will never understand why the show has never given him a story outside of Kate and Sami. 

This is an unpopular opinion, but, I always thought that the show limited Lucas by making him a Horton. The show never plays up his Horton connections.  

Christopher Sean is a fantastic actor.  That being said, it annoys me that Wilson are being made to be selfish assholes for Saint Paul.

I do love that a Gay triangle is getting the same story that we have all seen with straight characters for years on soaps. I just wish that Ron would take his time to write the story. Even if Wilson is endgame, the journey is what will make people want them to get together. 

I just can't with this Steve/Kayla story. Marybeth always shines no matter what they give her.

I was so happy to see T-boz as Sheila. She will make this ridiculous Bonnie story palatable. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9