Type keyword(s) to search

Pet(s): Photos & Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Are all cats and dogs born in May? Elizabeth just turned one year old and Nathan just turned seventeen. 🤗

All the good ones 😁

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Are all cats and dogs born in May?

I have no idea when most of mine were born, as they came to me as adults, but the two kittens I've ever had were born in March and May.

"Kitten season" is pretty much year-round in warm climates, but in other areas most kittens are born March-October.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have no idea when most of mine were born, as they came to me as adults, but the two kittens I've ever had were born in March and May.

"Kitten season" is pretty much year-round in warm climates, but in other areas most kittens are born March-October.

We regularly donate to a no kill cat rescue in our town and they have really been reaching out more lately, it being "kitten season" and all.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Are all cats and dogs born in May? Elizabeth just turned one year old and Nathan just turned seventeen. 🤗

I always celebrated Mr Norris & Scarlett’s bday on Star Wars day, May the 4th. 

• Love 9

My current feline overlords are the first I've had when I actually know their birthday (in September...I have to look up the precise date from their records) because the shelter took them in from their original family (I have no idea why they were given up...but they were well taken care of and super healthy) who had them (brother and sister tabbies) since they were six weeks old so knew their birth date. All my previous cats were strays that found me and I had to guess their respective ages along with the vet at their first check up/visit. They will be three years old this coming September and still pounce on each other and wrestle like little kittens. So cute!

• Love 9
(edited)

Shadow’s birthday is August 30(per the shot/spay records I got from the shelter). My first cat, Mittens, was adopted from my husband’s coworker, so I knew her birthday as well(March 25, which was also my grandmother’s birthday).

@luv2lurk, I’m so sorry for your loss.  The fact that she lived 20.5 years speaks of the wonderful care you gave her.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 4
On 5/14/2022 at 1:08 PM, Gramto6 said:

I don't know, but 2 new ferrals just popped up from under my deck. Tiny little gray things. Most of last year's cats have moved on. Only 2 left of them.

Quoting myself...on Sunday 2 more kittens popped up from under the deck. This mama cat just repopulated the colony to the number from last Summer. 4 of last year's cats had relocated... Up to 6-7 cats. 

• Love 8

When I first met my Tortie, it was just after Halloween. I met her at a service operated by a veterinary clinic called Affection Connection. (As an aside this was an amazing business model - people adopt kittens, know they have been checked, then bring them back for care. Included in the very reasonable adoption fee was all initial shots, spaying/neutering, and 12 cans of food. Unfortunately for them I already had a vet I liked that was much closer to home so they did not get the years repeat of business.)

Her DOB was listed as Sept 18 and apparently was a male. I fell in love with this kitten but the vet tech told me it was too young for adoption. I asked if I could put a hold on it. The tech took the kitten to the Dr and then came back to say deworming would be necessary and I could pick up in three days. Which I did - and the DOB had been changed to Sept 25th and gender changed to female.

Now in fairness - as most of us know a tortie can only be female (I didn't at the time I just loved her colour markings after having said goodbye to a grey tabby). Now that I think about it there was a black kitten in the cage with her (probably her brother) - maybe that was the male!

Anyway the 1lb, 1oz tiny bundle of fur came home with me and started a two decade affection connection 😁

• Love 13
On 5/14/2022 at 3:08 PM, Gramto6 said:

I don't know, but 2 new ferrals just popped up from under my deck. Tiny little gray things. Most of last year's cats have moved on. Only 2 left of them.

Bless your heart (in a sincere, non-condescending way) for feeding them, and I know you've mentioned that you live where there aren't this kind of resources, but this situation makes me sad.  I really hope you can find a way to get them neutered (even if it's TNR) so the cycle doesn't continue.  I think we all know what "moved on" probably means.  Maybe some new groups have sprung up since you last checked, or a local vet clinic has some kind of program to help?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Miss Reba June 2020, and today ( not the greatest picture, I tried to lighten it)

D7F5836F-DAE9-4B23-9B1F-410D9B6E9128.jpeg

2DA5C36C-9437-408C-BC57-0060E490F4F3.jpeg

Miss Dubina, the most cooperative:

94B2369F-B918-4C27-A0BF-8B94BC9A99A6.jpeg

Such beautiful fur- babies!

• Love 6

It's intriguing to me-- my one cat, Harry, seems to have supersonic hearing; whenever he's in the distance, and I call him (whether by Harry, or by my personal shortening "Har"), he speeds right up and comes running to wherever he needs to be; I think he might have the best hearing of all of them.

• Love 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Bless your heart (in a sincere, non-condescending way) for feeding them, and I know you've mentioned that you live where there aren't this kind of resources, but this situation makes me sad.  I really hope you can find a way to get them neutered (even if it's TNR) so the cycle doesn't continue.  I think we all know what "moved on" probably means.  Maybe some new groups have sprung up since you last checked, or a local vet clinic has some kind of program to help?

Same here.  Perhaps it would help to contact well-known, well-connected TNR programs farther away, or national organizations, as maybe they know of a resource that isn't readily apparent to residents, or at least have suggestions of were else to look or even how to fundraise to get them fixed at a "regular" vet if that's the only option.

Alley Cat Allies provides a ton of information, so maybe someone there would be good to talk with.

FixNation is the go-to in Los Angeles and have been doing this a long time; they answer questions (although they're always tremendously backlogged), so might be worth an email.

Planned Pethood International (as featured on Animal Planet's Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet) is dedicated to reducing the overall homeless pet population.  They're focused on companion animals rather than community cats, but on the show we've seen Dr. Jeff help colony caretakers in Denver.  He's been heavily involved in the spay/neuter movement for a long time and knows a lot of other people involved in this work, including people running TNR programs.  So they be able to steer Gram in the right direction, although I have heard they are hard to get in touch with these days because the clinic is so busy.

I don't know anything about this organization, but there's a Feral Cat Caretakers Coalition.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 5
  • Love 1

Last time I called all the TNR places anywhere near here (last Summer) they were all closed due to Covid. The new guys are probably only a few weeks old, maybe a month. I am having my second cataract surgery tomorrow so it will be a few days before I can get to calling around again. It is on my list of things to do.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, luv2lurk said:

Now in fairness - as most of us know a tortie can only be female (I didn't at the time I just loved her colour markings after having said goodbye to a grey tabby). Now that I think about it there was a black kitten in the cage with her (probably her brother) - maybe that was the male!

Yes, 99%~ of the time Torties are female, because the gene for cat coat color is on the X. But cats can be intersex just like other mammals, and you can have a male tortie if they are XXY, Klienfelter syndrome (which also what having XXY is called in humans). These cats present as male but are sterile. Fun fact!

Lady Reese is too silly!

EA54C464-EED5-4956-88F4-4C4EF5766782.jpeg

• LOL 9
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

So yesterday morning a kitten was heard crying from the engine compartment of a car, the mother sadly was hit by a car during the night, yada yada yada...

The newest member of the Macc home:

7F9BAC56-499C-45F4-B1FD-693A417FAF5B.jpeg

Squee!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
44 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

So yesterday morning a kitten was heard crying from the engine compartment of a car, the mother sadly was hit by a car during the night, yada yada yada...

You just adopted the best!  Black cats are most awesome.  Tears for momma. 😿

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 9

We already have a 5 year old black cat Luna, so just adding to the fold here. (I'll add a photo in a minute.)

You can see a bit of a pattern in this little girl. It's like she's really dark gray.  The vet noted the little tuft of hair on her ears, which is something you see from Maine Coon cats. That would be a pisser if this 6 1/2 week old tiny baby turns into a big cat. (The mother was not.)

F6DD55A1-4F9E-4AF8-854F-AF538D164703.jpeg

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

We already have a 5 year old black cat Luna, so just adding to the fold here. (I'll add a photo in a minute.)

You can see a bit of a pattern in this little girl. It's like she's really dark gray.  The vet noted the little tuft of hair on her ears, which is something you see from Maine Coon cats. That would be a pisser if this 6 1/2 week old tiny baby turns into a big cat. (The mother was not.)

F6DD55A1-4F9E-4AF8-854F-AF538D164703.jpeg

We got a surprise Maine Coon last summer. Our vet also noticed the ear tufts. The next tip off was the day we noticed her tail had turned into a long, extra floofy plume. I used to be able to hold her in one hand, now I can barely pick her up. She is only a year old but she is the sweetest cat we've ever had.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

I love! So little. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Congratulations on adding another panfur to your family. It was very kind of you to give it a good home. She will reward you by shredding your curtains, putting tears in your couch and knocking things off shelves, just because she can. 😂 Has the Mac family chosen a name? 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Congratulations on adding another panfur to your family. It was very kind of you to give it a good home. She will reward you by shredding your curtains, putting tears in your couch and knocking things off shelves, just because she can. 😂 Has the Mac family chosen a name? 

She can't possibly be more destructive than Luna was her first couple years. The bar is set VERY high. Luna destroyed more stuff in her first year than Lenny and Carl did their entire lives. (Actually, I can't remember Carl destroying anything. Best pet ever.)

As for a name, my teenaged daughter has declared her name is Ivy. It apparently isn't up for negotiations. So this morning when she woke up, I told her to "Go check on Pickles, she was meowing a lot." I was immediately informed that her name is not Pickles, it is Ivy.

At this point I have been informed that the kitten can have middle names, but her first name is Ivy. I'm still working on what I'm going to call her. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

At this point I have been informed that the kitten can have middle names, but her first name is Ivy. I'm still working on what I'm going to call her. 

My Peaches LaTour's middle name was Sparkles Plenty. Her street name was Precious Little. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, JTMacc99 said:

the kitten can have middle name

Of course they need middle names - how else will they know you are unhappy with them? Jake knows he's in trouble when we call him 'Jacob Anthony'. 😉

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Best friends!9392518A-6777-430C-9727-6A2B0FF1BB47.jpeg.e2aab612559d0fccdee9d8d5d0030ac0.jpeg

For the record, it‘s Parker Alice on the left, and Sophie Charlotte on the right. Middle names were a must.

Such pretty girls! Do you find that dilute torties have less tortitude than regular torties?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Such pretty girls! Do you find that dilute torties have less tortitude than regular torties?

It’s definitely true with my girls. Parker has much more attitude than Sophie. Sophie is very chatty and playful, and loves being petted and having her tummy scratched. She’s the most happy go lucky cat I’ve ever known. Parker loves all of those things too, but she demands them, and heaven help you if you do not acquiesce immediately. She also has the crankiest meow I’ve ever heard. We laugh at her a lot. She’s a sweetheart, but it’s aggressive, if that makes sense. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It’s definitely true with my girls. Parker has much more attitude than Sophie. Sophie is very chatty and playful, and loves being petted and having her tummy scratched. She’s the most happy go lucky cat I’ve ever known. Parker loves all of those things too, but she demands them, and heaven help you if you do not acquiesce immediately. She also has the crankiest meow I’ve ever heard. We laugh at her a lot. She’s a sweetheart, but it’s aggressive, if that makes sense. 

I get it. I'm on my second tortie. Peaches was a sweetie but very smart, very cool. Elizabeth is all of those things but, boy does she have a temper! We always save the Sunday funnies to put under the cats dishes and if she doesn't get exactly what she wants, exactly when she wants it, she goes after those funnies with vengeance.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

BABY KITTY 8D <3!

Awwwwww, so cute!

• Love 7
(edited)

I love that other people give middle names to cats.  Most of my cats have had middle names and sometimes last names.  It sort of happens spontaneously, like the "China Marie" above. 

Currently, I have Freya Bella.  I know Bella doesn't go with the Norse name, but sounds so pretty.  Loki does not have a middle name - nothing has quite fit and I don't want to force it, but he does have a last name.  He is Loki Brown - he is a Brown Tabby after all.  I have had other members of the Brown Family, such as Ashley Quentin Brown.

Then there are nicknames which I can kind of go nuts with - that's another story. 

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

I once caught my previous cat doing something naughty, and I blurted out, “CHINA MARIE!”

*beat*

“Marie?  Where the hell did that come from?”

OMG! You've stumbled on the secret middle name of all pets!

I'm actually not kidding. I've been insisting for years that Marie is that mystical name. I've called all my animals, male and female, ____ Marie for decades now. My friends IRL just laugh, but too bad. It is what it is, and now you know, too.

• LOL 7

I agree middle names are a necessity, for scolding.  But Riley almost never breaks a rule (granted, I really only have two -- don't use furniture as a scratching post and don't sit on the dining room table, and I don't even enforce that last one with Riley*, so she only has one), so she has no idea what it is (Alexandra).  I'm not entirely sure she knows her first name, either, since I call her by so many nicknames.

*I let Maddie and Baxter get up on the kitchen table, since only occasionally would someone else be eating there with me, and it would only be one of my parents or best friends, none of whom would care about the presence of a cat.  But when I had a proper get-together, with people seated at the dining table, I didn't want the sudden addition of a cat or two.  So I taught them it was off-limits, period.  With Riley, she doesn't like anyone other than me, so the chance of her jumping up on the dining table when other people are seated at it is zero -- on the rare occasions I walk through and find her sitting there, I don't do anything other than say hi.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I agree middle names are a necessity, for scolding.

My cat's name is Pepper.  Her full name is Peppermint Schnapps, that's for yelling at her (which I do a lot, either because i'm particularly mean, or she's particularly mischievous). On the odd occasion when she's being a sweetie pie, her name is Pepperoni Pizza.

• LOL 7
(edited)
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

I once caught my previous cat doing something naughty, and I blurted out, “CHINA MARIE!”

*beat*

“Marie?  Where the hell did that come from?”

That’s exactly what happened with my first cat - one day I scolded her with “Emma Frances!” and it stuck. After that we always chose middle names as well. 

Parker loves to knead (me in particular), which we learned the her first night. Her nickname immediately became “Biscuit,” “Honey Biscuit” when she’s being super sweet, and “Hot Honey Biscuit” when she’s feeling feisty. Sophie is “Bonks” because of her excitability or “Sweetpea” when she’s being extra sweet.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

Maddie was well behaved, except for thinking the world was her scratching post, so there weren't a ton of "Madeleine Alice!" incidents.  But if my neighbors had heard the near-daily instruction "Baxter Adam, get off your sister", they'd have thought there were some sick-ass shenanigans going on in this place.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
On 5/17/2022 at 2:22 PM, JTMacc99 said:

As for a name, my teenaged daughter has declared her name is Ivy. It apparently isn't up for negotiations. So this morning when she woke up, I told her to "Go check on Pickles, she was meowing a lot." I was immediately informed that her name is not Pickles, it is Ivy.

It doesn't sound like you get a say...

But if you do, I suggest Ivy Snugglebutt-innocent-of-all-wrong-doing Macc.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maddie was well behaved, except for thinking the world was her scratching post, so there weren't a ton of "Madeleine Alice!" incidents.  But if my neighbors had heard the near-daily instruction "Baxter Adam, get off your sister", they'd have thought there were some sick-ass shenanigans going on in this place.

image.png.af18538df0bbce2b94bf74e7fdb68042.png

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

Cosmo came back from his annual vet appointment. He was a STAR! The Dr said I was taking excellent care of him, and he’s down to 79lbs from 92lbs last year!

Of course we have to wait for blood work to come back and all, but he was such a good boy I was a proud dog mom. 

His body condition score is 7, so his new goal is 70lbs. I know we can do it. 

• Love 22
54 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Cosmo came back from his annual vet appointment. He was a STAR! The Dr said I was taking excellent care of him, and he’s down to 79lbs from 92lbs last year!

Of course we have to wait for blood work to come back and all, but he was such a good boy I was a proud dog mom. 

His body condition score is 7, so his new goal is 70lbs. I know we can do it. 

Of course you can! Look how well you've done already.

• Love 9
On 5/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Congratulations to you and Cosmo! Well done!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

What a handsome fellow!  You must get to vacuum a lot.

My black labs used to like the ends of asparagus stalks as treats.  That's low calorie also.

Thank you! I mop- vinegar and water! No rugs here between he and the cats. 

That’s a good idea! I’m not a huge fan of asparagus, but next time I get some I will share. 

• Love 3