Type keyword(s) to search

Rob Has A Podcast: Survivor Edition

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Unfortunately, I think they will take it easy on Stephen.  They and any other interviewer who has a place in the Survivor community.  I'm sure the bulk of his interviews will focus on his non strategic game play and this whole evolution that isn't really an evolution, and him going on and on about what an amazing opporunity it was to be voted back by fans.  I think they will gloss over anything that made him look idiotic.  Going forward, I will be curious if Stephen will change his tune when writing blogs or providing commentary for future seasons.  He kind of shot himself in the foot this season for being essentially a pawn in this game that was obsessed with one person, cried, and couldn't do anything right.  It's kind of hard to go forward and criticize someone else for the exact game you just played (or didn't play).

• Love 2

The idea that you took care of camp before anything else lasted for a while.

Not really. I remember as early as Amazon that Heidi was talking about how being a winner in life doesn't make you a winner in the game in reference to the older ladies wanting to build camp vs the younger ladies being worried about the alliance aspect.

I actually think the shift started in Marquesas but Amazon was the first season where the mind frame was like that from beginning to end.

I'm sure if Rhap doesn't get on Stephen that somebody (probably Dalton) will.

Um, Rob knows all about getting a bad edit the second time around.He out of everyone knows how Stephen felt.I can't wait for Stephen's retrospective podcast for more inside perspective on behind the scenes. 

• Love 2

I don't think it would ever work out logistically, but I always thought it would be fun to have the entire cast from a past season play together again.

I have always wanted this for season one, my idea was always that for those no longer with us, or not interested, they could bring in a family member. I think it would have made for a fun 30th season theme.

Um, Rob knows all about getting a bad edit the second time around.He out of everyone knows how Stephen felt.I can't wait for Stephen's retrospective podcast for more inside perspective on behind the scenes. 

Stephen played badly--very badly. "Bad edit" doesn't describe that at all. A bad edit may perhaps have made him look even more foolish, but really it doesn't fit. The show seemed to skip a lot of opportunities to make Stephen look even worse.  This is a show famous, for example, of undercutting specific people by playing jaunty or foolish music behind them to make them look worse. Or making sure statements they make are intercut with footage of the exact opposite things happening. Stuff like that. But it didn't feel like they did that with Stephen.  The foolish impressions of him came pretty much exclusively from all of his insecurity expressed on screen, mixed with his continuing desperate need to assert his "historical" impact on the show/reinforce his "Survivor Know-It-All/Expert" self image. He did it all to himself--the show didn't do this to him with an edit.

Stephen played badly--very badly. "Bad edit" doesn't describe that at all. A bad edit may perhaps have made him look even more foolish, but really it doesn't fit. The show seemed to skip a lot of opportunities to make Stephen look even worse.  This is a show famous, for example, of undercutting specific people by playing jaunty or foolish music behind them to make them look worse. Or making sure statements they make are intercut with footage of the exact opposite things happening. Stuff like that. But it didn't feel like they did that with Stephen.  The foolish impressions of him came pretty much exclusively from all of his insecurity expressed on screen, mixed with his continuing desperate need to assert his "historical" impact on the show/reinforce his "Survivor Know-It-All/Expert" self image. He did it all to himself--the show didn't do this to him with an edit.

I can think of at least 5 scenes off the top of my head where editing undercut Fish with foolish music. Sorry, I think editing absolutely made him look worse than he was.

• Love 7

Stephen played a very flawed game, but his edit was pretty harsh. He's not nearly as unathletic as the show made out, and while he obviously has a nervous personality, he's not that socially awkward. Every bad moment got highlighted for Stephen.

I think Stephen probably got the worst edit out there for a visible player. That doesn't mean he was really awesome and the show hid it, but the edit tells a story and they choose scenes to buttress that story.

• Love 7

Stephen played a very flawed game, but his edit was pretty harsh. He's not nearly as unathletic as the show made out, and while he obviously has a nervous personality, he's not that socially awkward. Every bad moment got highlighted for Stephen.

I think Stephen probably got the worst edit out there for a visible player. That doesn't mean he was really awesome and the show hid it, but the edit tells a story and they choose scenes to buttress that story.

Agreed. He made it fairly deep into the game, but his edit from day 1 was the dodo edit. I remember people thinking he was going to be first or second out based on how thoroughly inept (both physically and socially) they made him appear. 

As wonald pointed out, Rob himself got a similar edit. He didn't even make that huge a misstep, he just failed to realize  the target Boston Rob was hanging on him, but the edit included disparaging comments from the others played over scenes of Rob looking foolish and/or useless.

Are the podcasts up yet? I would be interested to hear Stephen's rationale for some of his moves at the end, I'm assuming he had reasons but I can't figure out what they were. 

Hopefully he'll have enough of a sense of humor about it to take some shit from Rob/Josh and have an honest conversation about what he was doing. 

• Love 1

The exiits are finally up. It was so good to hear Rob and Fish talk about Survivor again.

It was also a little disappointing that Fish was almost as scatterbrained as he was on the island. He did give Rob some good exclusive scoop tho. Nice.

I think the 2 biggest edits have been Varner & Fishbach. Granted, we've seen everyone with a storyline except Keith, Monica & Kimmi & Wigglesworth. I think Varner drove the first half for the comic & scheming value. The second half was Stephen with the dopey music & his obsession of Joe. I'm glad he was able to win the advantage & the reward challenge. Oddly enough, he beat Spencer within seconds for both. Maybe, that was another reason why Spencer wanted his "friend" out. Just a guess on my part though.

• Love 2

I'm glad he was able to win the advantage & the reward challenge. Oddly enough, he beat Spencer within seconds for both. Maybe, that was another reason why Spencer wanted his "friend" out. Just a guess on my part though.

I've wondered about this as well. I certainly don't think being edged out twice produced warm feelings towards Stephen in Spencer. In addition to thinking Stephen should have shored up his alliance with Spencer by taking him on the reward, I also think it would have been very easy to play off as Stephen merely trying to be a good sport. Admittedly, if players aren't inclined to like him, they'll read it as condescending, but I think that's a risk worth taking. I suspect the benefits of getting to hang out at a resort and eat a bunch of food probably trumps any negative feelings you might have about being taken there out of patronizing pity.

I've wondered about this as well. I certainly don't think being edged out twice produced warm feelings towards Stephen in Spencer. In addition to thinking Stephen should have shored up his alliance with Spencer by taking him on the reward, I also think it would have been very easy to play off as Stephen merely trying to be a good sport.

That's a good point, Spencer would have been a great choice, he's  a fairly new member of the alliance and he literally lost by one second. That would have been such an easy sell as to why he was going. Plus, Spencer being out of camp would have been excellent for Stephen, but as his Ponderosa video showed, he had no idea that he should have been wary of Spencer. 

• Love 1
Stephen talks about how Joe's being resigned to going home seemed like a sign that Joe had found an idol at some point,
I will never understand why they were so sure that Joe had an idol. Kelley had proven she had an idol that no one knew about. Jeremy had proven he had an idol that no one knew about it. I understand splitting the vote because idols were clearly in play and clearly being stealthily found so there was no way to know that Joe didn't have one--just not the certainty that Joe did.
I think the only reason Spencer might have been a better choice is that it would have made it more difficult for Spencer to line up the votes against Stephen for a second tribal in a row without Stephen noticing it.

The other reason Spencer was a better choice is because simply telling the tribe "hey, this guy missed out by 1 second, he deserves it" is WAY less damaging and suspicious than the remarkably stupid "Hey, I need to take Tasha so I can solidify our alliance...[unspoken rest of that sentence is: against the rest of you]. 

Reconnecting with Tasha was a fine thing to do, but there was no reason to announce to the group that that was what he was trying to do. 

I think most viewers -- and potentially even Stephen, watching at home -- interpreted Spencer's interview to mean that Spencer was annoyed he wasn't picked. The thing that made Stephen's choice "questionable" was that it left Spencer back at camp to scheme with 5 other people, and Spencer needed 6 votes to get Stephen out, if he was plotting around the possibility that Stephen's advantage was the same as Dan's last season.

I didn't get the sense he was annoyed at missing the reward, simply that he was annoyed with himself for losing to Stephen by a half-second for the second time in a week, AND that he felt that his placement within the alliance was revealed by the fact that the other 3 in his alliance were on a reward together. 

TBH, the least dangerous person to leave behind at camp was Jeremy, who'd already shown a deep commitment to keeping Stephen around (Tasha already voted for him and would probably have done the same thing that Spencer did.) 

Off to listen to his exit podcasts to see what he has to say. 

• Love 1

In any case, ever since Spencer's confessional branding Stephen's reward companion picks as "questionable," I've wondered about Spencer's very, very careful choice of words, including that long pause before the word "questionable."

I think most viewers -- and potentially even Stephen, watching at home -- interpreted Spencer's interview to mean that Spencer was annoyed he wasn't picked. The thing that made Stephen's choice "questionable" was that it left Spencer back at camp to scheme with 5 other people, and Spencer needed 6 votes to get Stephen out, if he was plotting around the possibility that Stephen's advantage was the same as Dan's last season.

I never thought he was annoyed at Stephen for not taking him. It sounded like he disapproved on a gameplay level, for (to me) the obvious reason that he exposed his alliance exactly the way we always say you shouldn't at rewards.  Leaving Spencer behind to scheme is one thing (someone's always going to be left behind to  scheme), but when your choices confirm even to Keith where your priorities lie, that's just giving the schemer ammunition for no reason.

• Love 1

. Everyone expected he would take Jeremy but the first person he chose was Tasha. That to,d everyone that Tasha was his ally. Then he chooses Jeremy. He thought Kimmi could keep an eye on folks at camp? Kimmi didn't talk to to Abi or Kelley.

His problem was he didn't include Tasha in voting out Kelly. If he takes Spencer, Tasha feels like she is at the bottom of the alliance. If he takes Tasha, Spencer feels he is at the bottom of the alliance. Ideally, he takes Spencer and Tasha and leaves Jeremy at camp.

• Love 1

Rob C. is a great interviewer, he had Mike Boogie on, and had me thinking even he wasn't so bad. Although, there's nothing he can do to make me like Corinne, I won't listen to any podcast with her. Will is even worse, his was the only exit interviews I didn't listen to, he is just too reprehensible.

• Love 3

http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-2015-know-it-alls-cambodia-finale-recap-live-from-the-red-carpet-wednesday-december-16/

Early interviews. Rob talked with pretty much everyone on the Red Carpet after the game. Good stuff leading into the actual interviews today.

And Tasha just threw fuel on the fire. 1 hour 20 minutes she comments that Kass made racial slurs on the island. But she is taking the high road.

Edited by ProfCrash

I don't know. Tasha has a lot of interviews to give today, I suspect we will hear that line again and maybe get some more details. Kass might very well respond to Tasha.

We know that Jeff V does not like Tasha and he was not on a tribe with Tasha and Kass, so whatever happened between the two of them was not what caused Jeff V to dislike Tasha. So I think there is something larger at play.

• Love 1

I hope you're right, but I just feel like no one will really wanna touch the subject of racism. I feel like they'll all just try to dodge it.

The only thing Kass will say is that it's completely untrue, but obviously she's not going to say "Oh yea, I totally said some racial slurs!"

And since imo Tasha is full of shit, I doubt she's going to provide any more details.

• Love 2

I can't believe that we wouldn't have heard more of it if it had happened. I guess I want to know what Jeremy and Kass's relationship is because I think if she had said something racist, then Jeremy would have been just as offended as Tasha.

But Tasha had damn well be on point to make that type of accusation.

• Love 2

I can't believe that we wouldn't have heard more of it if it had happened. I guess I want to know what Jeremy and Kass's relationship is because I think if she had said something racist, then Jeremy would have been just as offended as Tasha.

I agree. I think if Kass was making racist statements there's no way Jeremy would've kept his mouth shut about that. I'm very interested to see what he has to say about this. But honestly I just don't think he (or anyone) is going to get asked about it. At least not by any of the media. Maybe by fans on twitter.

Edited by peachmangosteen

My bet is that Kass used a coded term (something like "uppity," although probably not that exact word) and that neither woman is intentionally lying. 

The story has been rumored for weeks, though, so I hope Tasha gives up the high road and gives the details. At this point, better to just get it out in the open and let everyone judge for ourselves.

• Love 2

I really hate when people bring up those types of accusations if they can't or aren't willing to back it up.  Tasha is already not well liked by a lot of people in both her casts, and I doubt race has anything to do with it.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, but when you make those accusations, it can become a battle of she said/he said (or she said/she said in this case).  And then dragging other people into it that maybe want no part of it?  For the record, I'm not saying something wasn't said, but since it wasn't shown, we don't know what it was or if it was a comment taken out of context.  I don't know that I see Jeremy being asked, or backing Tasha up like she might expect.

Varner doesn't like Tasha from the days on Angkor.  When PG was voted out, Tasha told her it should have been Varner, not her.  Not to mention they got into a fight at that challenge because Varner was mouthing stuff to Kelly Wigles and Tasha caught him.  I don' think he was fond of Savage, either.  

Edited by LadyChatts

The voice mail show was hysterical. I'm gonna miss my 24/7 of Survivor. 2 whole months!? I can't wait that long! LOL!!! Kelley did a Periscope today and she hadn't heard of the Tasha charge until today. She said she was going to listen to RHAP's Red Carpet first to get all the information and then discuss it on Sunday when she's doing a tell all. Of course, she isn't exactly partial when it comes to Tasha so take it as you will.

• Love 1

Yeah, I was irked that he just let it slide by without following up right when she said it.

I think Rob is uncomfortable diving into the Big Issues on a podcast discussing a TV show.  He struggled last season too when discussing misogyny.

In his shoes, I would be inclined to back away from this as well.  

The voice mail show was hysterical. I'm gonna miss my 24/7 of Survivor. 2 whole months!? I can't wait that long! LOL!!! Kelley did a Periscope today and she hadn't heard of the Tasha charge until today. She said she was going to listen to RHAP's Red Carpet first to get all the information and then discuss it on Sunday when she's doing a tell all. Of course, she isn't exactly partial when it comes to Tasha so take it as you will.

I was hoping she'd shed some light on what happened but it sounds like she doesn't know anymore than anyone else (who isn't Tasha or Kass).  

Though I suppose it'd be mildly interesting to hear who she thinks is lying, if she does have an opinion.  

"Watch me spit!

Watch me ride that to-to!"

When he was dancing in the bathroom I was reminded of the music videos on America's Next Top Model. Great video!

(Source: video linked in ProfCrash's and pennben's posts above.)

I thought Stephen and Kelly's interviews were both interesting. I liked that Kass was telling the rest of the jury that Kimmi should be able to explain the best game for Kimmi. I think players and fans both forget that and try to compare everyone's games on the same basis. I thought Stephen gave great insight on ways to please the jury.

I was surprised that Kelley said she forgot that Terry had the hidden immunity idol during his season. Since it was a big storyline during his season

I really hate when people bring up those types of accusations if they can't or aren't willing to back it up.  Tasha is already not well liked by a lot of people in both her casts, and I doubt race has anything to do with it.  I'm not saying it didn't happen, but when you make those accusations, it can become a battle of she said/he said (or she said/she said in this case).  And then dragging other people into it that maybe want no part of it?  For the record, I'm not saying something wasn't said, but since it wasn't shown, we don't know what it was or if it was a comment taken out of context.  I don't know that I see Jeremy being asked, or backing Tasha up like she might expect.

Varner doesn't like Tasha from the days on Angkor.  When PG was voted out, Tasha told her it should have been Varner, not her.  Not to mention they got into a fight at that challenge because Varner was mouthing stuff to Kelly Wigles and Tasha caught him.  I don' think he was fond of Savage, either.  

It seems to me that the main people who dislike Tasha (Jeff V, Kass, and Abi.) are the people that she played a huge role in voting out. 

• Love 2

I really hate when people bring up those types of accusations if they can't or aren't willing to back it up. Tasha is already not well liked by a lot of people in both her casts, and I doubt race has anything to do with it. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but when you make those accusations, it can become a battle of she said/he said (or she said/she said in this case). And then dragging other people into it that maybe want no part of it? For the record, I'm not saying something wasn't said, but since it wasn't shown, we don't know what it was or if it was a comment taken out of context. I don't know that I see Jeremy being asked, or backing Tasha up like she might expect.

Varner doesn't like Tasha from the days on Angkor. When PG was voted out, Tasha told her it should have been Varner, not her. Not to mention they got into a fight at that challenge because Varner was mouthing stuff to Kelly Wigles and Tasha caught him. I don' think he was fond of Savage, either.

I like Tasha and hate Kass, but I agree that it is wrong to float vague accusations, especially about something as sensitive as racism, and then refuse to give specifics. Either keep it between the parties involved or give details so the accused person can defend herself and the public can decide who to believe and how serious any offense was.

• Love 1

Great interview with Jeremy. He is so darn likable. He had great insight about the game. He said he wouldn't have won if he had been on the other tribe but would have made the merge. Also, if he had been cut at Final 4 Kelley would have won over Spencer & Tasha. They figured it out to be a 5+4+1 vote.

I am kind of okay with a Black person deciding whether she has been the target of racism. I am also okay with her not covering for the person who subjected her to it. White people too often think that they have the right to be final arbiters of whether a Black person has experienced "real" racism. I am more than happy to skip that.

• Love 2

I am kind of okay with a Black person deciding whether she has been the target of racism. I am also okay with her not covering for the person who subjected her to it. White people too often think that they have the right to be final arbiters of whether a Black person has experienced "real" racism. I am more than happy to skip that.

I think that's a fair point.  

But I also think tossing that allegation out there on the national stage and then not saying anything else is potentially problematic. You could ruin someone's life. 

• Love 2

I listened to Spencer's latest podcast with Rob. He seems to be over the outcome & bad feelings from the finale. He still wishes he didn't try to team up with Kelley, Keith & Abi to vote out Jeremy. The thing that prevented him from doing it was he was pretty sure that unless he won immunity that the three of them would have voted him out at the Final 4. He said he is looking forward to watching this season as an unspoiled fan & from a viewers perspective. The only thing I wanted Rob to persue more was the Vytas vote. At the time, Vytas thought they were really friends (there are never really friends in the game, right?) and, Rob was about to touch on the subject but then it was just dropped. In the scheme of things it was that big of a deal and it was only Day 1, 2 and 3 but I did want to hear what Spencer's thoughts were on it.

I am not enjoying Stephen Fishbach's return to RHAP for Kaoh Rong.  Maybe it's partly because Stephen is predicting nasty Kyle Jason as the winner.  But I also don't like his take on other players.  He gave far too much credit to Liz because they dated.  He just seems to have lost his perspective, or maybe he never had it.  I miss Josh.  

• Love 1

That's not what I heard last night. Fishback pretty much said that Jason is getting the losing finalist edit. He feels pretty strongly about it too that he wants to bet on it.

And what's there to miss about Josh? Josh has his own show and day now.

He did switch to that opinion during the podcast, so you are correct.  Of course, I don't want to see Jason go that far.  I don't even want him on the jury.  Are you saying that Josh has his own Survivor podcast?  What is it called?  I'd love to listen.  

Josh Wigler has a podcast with Rob every week - on Mon or Tues, I forget - called "The Wiggle Room". I love it and never miss it!

Liz and Stephen dated a few years ago. stephen recommended her for Survivor. Remember, when liz played, Stephen was still in the running for Second Chance. and they had broken up a while before that.

As for Stephen's projection on how Kyle does:

There are a lot of credible spculation/spoilers that Kyle makes is to final 2 and loses. I won't get into it unless you ask me to.

Edited by Big Mother