Type keyword(s) to search

Rob Has A Podcast: Survivor Edition

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Brian Heidik was interviewed recently. It is on RHAP. Listening now. Already rolling my eyes because he has mentioned two marriages and four kids while laughing.

ETA: Now he is discussing his car dealership and how he helps people by making deals.

ETA2: "With kids and a lovely wife, she is hot."

He is open to returning to play Survivor again. He confirms that he was asking for a lot and that is why he didn't participate in All Stars, CBS would not meet his demands. But now he is backing off of that. He is totally sucking up to Rob.

He trained for Survivor by swimming, doing cross-country skiing exercises, and created the "aqua dump."  He claims to have called Rupert on the aqua dump creation.

OK, the man is douche. I hated his season, I actually stopped watching that one, and this just reminds me why I stopped watching. Seriously, douchebag. The folks at RHAP have said they hear a bit of Coach in him but I don't think it is Coach, I think it is Russell without the bluster.

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 2

I never liked Brian.  Granted, I didn't mind his win over Clay and thought he deserved it in what is one of the worst seasons ever.  I recall hearing he had stupid demands for returning for the AS, and TPTB basically told him where he could go.  I guess he was also invited back for HvsV, but TPTB seem disgusted with him.  Seriously, you won a cheesy reality show dude.  99% of the population wouldn't even know it.  It amazes me that being on any sort of reality show suddenly gives certain people the perception that they are some sort of Hollywood royalty that can make outrageous demands.  I doubt he'd ever return, unless they did an all winners edition and needed a male slot filled.

Interesting interview, it's weird how he acted like he was a great humanitarian for selling cars, although he went out of his way to try and not mention that's what he was doing, so I guess even he knew how silly it sounded.

How much did Brian ask for to appear in All Stars? I didn't hear about him, but I do remember before the cast was announced, Tina and Ethan were interviewed by People magazine, saying they'd been invited but hadn't yet accepted because as former winners they felt that the $1M prize wasn't enough. Tina said she thought the prize should be at least $2M and Ethan tried floating $5M, although I don't know how serious he was about that figure. Probst was quoted in the same article as saying that if $1M wasn't enough for them, they could stay home. Ha. This is why I will never hate Jeff.

• Love 3

I don't think he said how much he demanded, just confirmed that he did make it clear they would have have to pay him a lot, although he said he has softened, and is willing to come back and play again on their terms. He said he was going to call Mark Burnett, and asked Rob to help him get the ball rolling.

• Love 1

Great player but what a sleazebag. I feel like I need a shower after listening to that.

It's obviously why Brian decided to do a podcast now. Looks like Burnett doesnt have the same number he had 12 yrs ago and Brian needs help getting in touch with him.

• Love 2
(edited)

Great player but what a sleazebag. I feel like I need a shower after listening to that.

It's obviously why Brian decided to do a podcast now. Looks like Burnett doesnt have the same number he had 12 yrs ago and Brian needs help getting in touch with him.

Brian Heidik was interviewed recently. It is on RHAP. Listening now. Already rolling my eyes because he has mentioned two marriages and four kids while laughing.

ETA: Now he is discussing his car dealership and how he helps people by making deals.

ETA2: "With kids and a lovely wife, she is hot."

He is open to returning to play Survivor again. He confirms that he was asking for a lot and that is why he didn't participate in All Stars, CBS would not meet his demands. But now he is backing off of that. He is totally sucking up to Rob.

He trained for Survivor by swimming, doing cross-country skiing exercises, and created the "aqua dump."  He claims to have called Rupert on the aqua dump creation.

OK, the man is douche. I hated his season, I actually stopped watching that one, and this just reminds me why I stopped watching. Seriously, douchebag. The folks at RHAP have said they hear a bit of Coach in him but I don't think it is Coach, I think it is Russell without the bluster.

I think Brian's season is one that turned me off Survivor for awhile.  Minimally it started the descent.  This guy was so gross it seemed downright wrong for him to win.  Give me Russell Hantz over this dude any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Just gross.  It's bizarre how clueless he is to how gross he is. 

I haven't watched every season of Survivor, but I've seen most.  There are many unlikeable players on Survivor but few that fall into the creepy/gross world.  Brian is the only one I can think of who did that.  Russell Hantz is just a hard head who was raised wrong.  Brian is, IMO, has the mind of a serial killer or something.  He is missing "that thing" that makes humans somewhat decent.

I guess I could say that the casting people have done well over the years since Brian is really the only truly creepy one, but one is enough.  He really was a big reason I moved away from the show for awhile. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

Brian came off somewhat better-- with him, it's all relative-- on his Survivor Oz interview last year than he did on RHAP, where he seemed particularly smarmy and kind of desperate.

I'd actually love to see him play again-- put him on an all-winner's season with Kim, Yul, Earl, Danni, and Denise, and I'm in-- because I think he played a brilliant strategic game in a cast that was one of the show's least likable, give or take Gabon and World Apart. But he was the first to really master the "pivot" strategy of having two separate pairs believe you're their solid #3 for the end-game; Kim played that even better on One World.

He certainly oozes smarm outside of the show, sure, but there's something reptilian about him that makes for a fascinating Survivor player.

• Love 2

I haven't listened to Heidik on RHAP yet, and I didn't watch his season, but over the years I've gotten the impression that he is douchebag extradonnaire. I listened to the Jim Rice interview, and I was shocked at the douchiness there. Is he better or worse than Heidik?

Just got done listening to Rob on Periscope. It was looooooong. Anyway, he had more worried than before and even he was in panic mode. He seemed to think that Stephen was on the bubble but I couldn't tell if he was serious or not. Maybe, he didn't want to sound like a homer. Jim Rice & PeiGee were in the chat room. Jim didn't sound happy because they made it sound like he might not make the cut. They also didn't think PeiGee wouldn't make the cut either. That said, no one knows anything. It's just like the presidential election with exit polls. The newscaster don't know anything either. Oh well, it's time for me to vote one last time.

(edited)

I can see Peih Gee missing the cut, sadly.  Jim I could care less about and am hoping he is not among the chosen 20.  Stephen would be in my top 5 of both men and women who I would be extremely shocked to not see back.  Not buying it, and it may just be more of a ploy for votes.  Really, though, they already screwed up the voting and casting pool, imo, but if no one from prior to S22 gets on, I'll count this as another misfire.  I don't care if they say it was all on us fans, they should have seen it coming.  I will still never understand how they came up the men they did.  That was the best they could get?  

So much for everyone being surprised tomorrow.  I will be ROFL if it ends up leaking out who is coming back and who isn't before they can get to the announcement.  One of the reasons I thought they might be waiting until 9 pm to cut the voting off, but things may leak out before then.  Jeff may have a lot of explaining to do over the leak of the amount of votes cast.  Again, I just can't believe that many ballots have been cast unless it was some sort of robo-voting spam going on.  I think they might have felt proud releasing that number since it was so high.  I still say they overinflated it.

Edited by LadyChatts

It is a little odd that the ratings wouldn't reflect the voting. This thing was screwed from the beginning. If Eliza hadn't read the fine print in the rules (she really is a good lawyer, isn't she?) who knows what CBS would have done. Now, a rumore if 10 Million votes is throwing everyone into a tizzy. It was a interesting but too long podcast (Periscope....which I did for the first time) but it will be neat to compare their poll to the actual winner/losers. Long live the Bitter 12!!!!! LOL!!!

• Love 1
(edited)

It is a little odd that the ratings wouldn't reflect the voting. This thing was screwed from the beginning. If Eliza hadn't read the fine print in the rules (she really is a good lawyer, isn't she?) who knows what CBS would have done. Now, a rumore if 10 Million votes is throwing everyone into a tizzy. It was a interesting but too long podcast (Periscope....which I did for the first time) but it will be neat to compare their poll to the actual winner/losers. Long live the Bitter 12!!!!! LOL!!!

I have a feeling I'll be more interested in watching them than the chosen 20.  Ugh, I was so excited for this but now I am dreading it as much as I've been this season.  S32 can't get here fast enough.  Hopefully, I'm surprised, and in a good way.  The reveal is the only thing getting me through a very long 2 hour finale (especially if Mike misses out on the final 3), and what is going to be a horrible reunion show.

Eliza is the one who picked up on CBS having a hand in voting?  So I'll blame her if they ended up leaving it entirely to the fans because they got caught lol  I still wouldn't be surprised entirely if they do have some say, and just don't say it.  How will anyone prove it?  Probst has always loved Savage and Terry, and I think he'd want them among the 20.  Of course, he also loves people like Culpepper.  But if this season featured the likes of Culpepper, Max, Woo, Kass, Stephanie, Mikayla, Stephanie, Natalie, Shirin, and Keith?  I think even TPTB have to see that isn't going to go over well.  I fully believe some people were put in the vote as fodder, because no one was expected to vote for them and TPTB may have expected those votes to benefit other favorites.

ETA: I've been trolling the SM accounts of the potential S31 candidates.  They are on lock down until the finale tomorrow, which might explain the lack of last minute campaigning from some of them.  A few of them said they were told by production it is very tight in the voting.

Edited by LadyChatts

The results of RHAP poll. There is a two hour long pod cast discussing it. I have been loving all the podcasts, it helps block the noise at work. (grins)

Women

Kass McQullen (Rob’s #1 Lock)
    Ciera Eastin (Rob’s #2 Lock)
    Teresa “T-Bird” Cooper (however, Rob has her on the bubble)
    Tasha Fox (Rob’s #3 Lock)
    Kelly Wiglesworth (trending down) (still, Rob’s #4 Lock)
    Shirin Oskooi (Rob’s #5 Lock)
    Peih-Gee Law (Rob has her on the bubble)
    Kelley Wentworth (Rob is concerned about brand recognition… bubble)
    Abi-Maria Gomes (Rob’s #6 Lock)
    Monica Padilla (Big drop from Abi… bubble)
    Kimmi Kappenberg (close to Monica…. bubble)
    Stephanie Valencia (Rob has her as out.)
    Natalie Tenerelli (Rob has her as out.)
    Carolyn Rivera (Rob still her has her on the bubble… recency)
    Sabrina Thompson (Rob has her as out.)
    Mikayla Wingle (Rob has her as out.)

Rob and Curt will pick T-Bird, Kelley, Carolyn and Kimmi from the bubbles.
Men

Stephen Fishbach (Lock for us but bubble if it’s 10 million casual votes)
    Spencer Bledsoe (Lock… recency)
    Shane Powers (Lock for us but bubble if it’s 10 million casual votes)
    Jeff Varner (Lock for us but bubble if it’s 10 million casual votes)
    Vytas Baskauskas (Lock… recency)
    Jeremy Collins (Lock… recency)
    Terry Deitz (bubble)
    Joe Anglim (Lock… recency)
    Jim Rice (low on the bubble)
    Mike Holloway (Lock but probably S30 Winner)
    Andrew Savage (bubble)
    Max Dawson (bubble)
    Keith Nale (recency keeps him at the top of the bubble)
    Troyzan Robertson (bubble but could benefit if it’s 10 million casual votes)
    Woo Hwang (bubble but could benefit if it’s 10 million casual votes)
    Brad Culpepper (out but could benefit if it’s 10 million casual votes)

Yup, that is the RHAP poll results. Rob has them color coded on his site with who he thinks are locks and who he thinks are on the bubble. The casual voter count has him totally freaked out. It freaked out a ton of folks actually.

I suspect that if the number, 10 million ballots, is accurate that someone figured out how to hack the system.

Here is my take, if Max makes it on t he show, the site was hacked by programmers. Max has had twitter followers claiming that they have bots working for them.

If PG ends up on the show, there was a ton of voting from the hard core fans.

If the case is insanely recent biased then the casual fans voted a ton.

(edited)

I think Varner is a lock. He was on local news for a long time and won a fan vote to host Kelly Ripa. Someone on this forum (forgot the username) said he was very popular. I would imagine it would be much harder to win that than a survivor fan poll. Plus dr will endorsed him and big brother fans online worship dr will.

Edited by choclatechip45

As Rob would say, this is good tv. Now, what would say is that some of this sounds like a nightmare. I voted after midnight EST so I think my votes are done. Rob had a hard time believing that 10 million voted. Whether that was people or actually votes is also in question. I doubt we will never know the truth. I really do hope that Stephen gets in. He is the only one that I would care who actually who was crushed by the results. I don't care if Jim Rice is crushed but having said that I have been voting for him and would like him on for Season 30. It's about 11 hours and counting on the east coast............

(edited)

I was wondering if that meant 10 million individual votes as opposed to 10 million people voting.  I assumed it did. That I could easily believe. But I can't really believe 10 million people voted for this honestly. I feel like that has to be inflated.

I'm really excited to see who gets on. I'm not super invested in anybody making it or not making it, so this is fun.

IMO the only locks are Kass, Kelly Wigglesworth, and Tasha for the women and Spencer, Joe, and Mike for the men. 

Edited by peachmangosteen

This isn't directed at anyone on these boards but at Rob C and Kass and all the other former players who are making a distinction between casual fans and superfans. Fans are fans. The so-called casual fans are the ones keeping the damn show on the air. I find it irritating that there's this implication that people who don't obsess over the show are somehow not watching it correctly and will be responsible for ruining Season 31 by not voting the right players back on.

• Love 7
(edited)

The problem is that the report claimed that it was 10,000,000 ballots and not individual votes. I lean towards 10,000,000 individual votes which would be 500,000 complete 20 person ballots and that I can buy.

It will be an interesting season but I will be bummed if Shane doesn't get on. There are some folks who I will be bummed for them if they don't get on because they so want it like Savage and Jim.

Fishcakes: Agreed. My only concern about the so called casual fans is that there is more likely to be a recency bias there and I really don't want to see all the recent players play again. I think it will hurt some of the players from past seasons who will likely not have another chance to get on when some of the more recent players, like Spenser, Tasha, Kass, Joe, Shirin, and Carolyn are locks to play in future seasons.

Edited by ProfCrash

This isn't directed at anyone on these boards but at Rob C and Kass and all the other former players who are making a distinction between casual fans and superfans. Fans are fans. The so-called casual fans are the ones keeping the damn show on the air. I find it irritating that there's this implication that people who don't obsess over the show are somehow not watching it correctly and will be responsible for ruining Season 31 by not voting the right players back on.

Yea, the judgement and superiority with regards to super fans vs. casual fans is a bit much. I mean, there's definitely a distinction to be made between the two groups, but superfans aren't somehow better than casual fans. Their choices aren't somehow more valid than casual fans'.

• Love 2

I think the honest truth is that a season cast by super fans might totally tank. I don't know that I would call myself a super fan but I probably am based on the amount of posting I do. But I am not Max, Shirin crazy super fan and I probably couldn't list all the winners and get all of their seasons right. I love following the seasons and then tend to forget what happened with a few exceptions each season.

But I think the people who post on boards like this one and listen to the various pod casts are people who would love a season of Yul, Kim, Richard Hatch, earl and other strategists which would bore the crap out of the rest of the watchers.

Look at the reaction on the boards to Will and Dan and Rodney here compared to how even Rob and Stephen were discussing what they saw. They follow the strategy but they loved the drama, because it made good TV while still disliking what was being said. I think a fair number of folks here would have far preferred not having Will and Dan on the season because we dislike their behavior so much while others want folks like that on because they like the drama.

The big characters, Coach, Russell, Johnny Fairplay, Philip, Kass, Shambo and the like are cast for drama. I don't give a crap about the manufactured drama, I want to see the strategic game play. I want more of Carolyn and Tyler and how they played and fewer fights. I liked Tony because there seemed to be a balance between his craziness and his strategy.

But folks hate watching Yul and Earl and Kim and the like. They hated Derrick on Big Brother last season because they can control the season and the strategy aspect bores them. They want the loud, brash players. That is why Kass has 86% of the votes on RHAP and I suspect far fewer votes from here.

I feel like I personally want a good balance between strategy and drama. I think that's what most people want really, but it's somewhat impossible to really achieve probably. I would say One World came kinda close, but most people seem to hate that season. So maybe I'm wrong about most people wanting a balance!

I'm listening now to Rob's predictions podcast. One thing I wonder when hearing the percentages for the women is what is the gender breakdown in voting, I think I'm more of a casual viewer because honestly I cannot remember these people from season to season. I don't follow anyone on social media. To me, the super survivor fan is male, but I could be totally wrong. I don't vote because I really don't care who gets on the show. There are a couple men I would like to see again, but simply because I find them attractive and likeable. I don't vote because I don't care enough to sort through all those people I don't know.

I'm ine of those who likes a season based on whether I like the contestants and especially the winner. I think this is not the RHAP fans' way. I did not like Tony and he ruined that season for me. I don't care how great a player Russell was; I couldn't watch him or his seasons. I think all of this makes me a casual fan.

I don't remember most of the middle season women. I am guessing that is because of how women tend to be hidden in the show unless they are Kass, Trish like, ie loud and obnoxious.

I remember all of the men but Jeff loves his crazy and alpha men and so they tend to be easy to remember.

(edited)

To me, the super survivor fan is male, but I could be totally wrong.

In the places I visit, which is really just here, Tumblr, and ONTDBB, the fans are definitely mostly women. I don't go to RHAP, Reddit, or Sucks, but I have a feeling they might be heavily male. So really it might actually be a pretty even men to women ratio.

I remembered everyone on the list, to some extent. Except Teresa. I can not remember her at all for some reason. I need to see if I can find S3 so I can jog my memory. I did vote for her though just because I voted for all the early season people, even if I didn't like them.

(edited)

So not a casual fan and a woman, Nice. :)

I only post here and not so much particularly this season where I haven't liked the cast very much.

Edited by Stinamaia
(edited)

I thought I wasn't really invested either way, but I find myself getting tempted to make another CBS account so I can vote some more for the early season people. I'm getting so scared that we're just gonna see everyone from the last 3 seasons.

I agree it's interesting to hear fans who strictly watch the show opinions. Like my friend who does not remember who Jeremy is, but remembered Mckayla. It really bugs me when people look down on the causal fans.

When they announced the 10 millions votes did they say anything about the voting being close? I know earlier Jeff said that the list was changing daily, but he was probably lying.

I'm gonna be so mad if like Kelley makes it on over Peih-Gee.

I don't discount "casual fans" (those who only watch the show) in any way, but as has been mentioned, my fear is the recency bias.  I don't think I'm a "superfan" by any means simply because I read message boards (really only this one) and listen to the occasional podcast - but I've been a viewer from the beginning and I remember earlier seasons FAR more than the recent ones, which kind of blend together for me.  I think the editing was more balanced until probably post-Micronesia.  Imagine if they tried to shove Hatch down our throats like Russell - would anyone even remember Wigglesworth?  I mean, I barely remember Natalie whatsherface from Samoa and she BEAT Russell.  The fact that so many people seem to remember Savage, a pre-jury (I think) boot on a season with both Rupert and Jonny Fairplay is a testament to how much better those seasons were presented to viewers in general, I think.  Now the people who are remembered are mostly  controversial assholes and Probst's favorites (alpha males, primarily).  The way the show is now, people remember who the producers want us to remember.  This will unfortunately affect the voting when you factor in people who are newer to the show (or too young to have seen earlier seasons).  I have a feeling assholes like Culpepper and Kass (and wastes of space like Woo) are getting votes simply because people recognize them.  I'm not voting for them, but I'll admit, I'm also not voting for people like Monica and Natalie and Jim Rice because I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE.  At all.  But pre-jury boots Varner, Kimmi, Savage?  Remember them like it was yesterday.  It will definitely be interesting to see how it all shakes out.  As long as Shane and Varner make it, I'm good.  Bonus if Culpepper, Kass, and Terry do not.  I do think Wigglesworth is a lock though, which I can't say for any of the other "oldies."  Hope I'm wrong about that, though.    

• Love 4

It isn't that people who don't obsess over the show aren't watching it correctly, but there is a greater chance that they are voting without having all of the information. I would be hard pressed to find many people who, having watched Tocantins and Worlds Apart back-to-back, would prefer to see Max back over Stephen. Yet, that may end up being the case if a significant number of people are filling their ballots with "well, I didn't like that person but I saw that season last week" votes.

Of course "casual fans" are responsible for keeping the show on the air, and I am thankful for that. They are likely to be putting a lot of support behind players like Ciera, Keith, Spencer, Tasha and Joe, which I am fine with. But there are some equally strong characters from the earlier seasons that I am confident "casual fans" would love who may not get the chance for the simple fact that they aren't well known to today's viewership.

I can only hope that CBS pulled the "production's choice" clause because they saw that the votes were going in favor of Wiglesworth, Jeff, Peih-Gee, Stephen and Shane, because the season will be a massive disappointment without them.

I do find it interesting that Kass is one of the people bellyaching about the "casual vote", though, because she is one of the ones who I think will benefit MOST from it.

(edited)

In terms of casual vs super fans, I'm probably in the middle.  I remember things from much earlier seasons (what challenge took place at what stage, contestants, little minor moments), but I had a hard time placing Monica, Stephanie, and Mikayla.  Even Jim and Troyzan I don't remember a lot about.  And I keep forgetting South Pacific was even a season.  Despite having two returnees, one of whom is among my all time favorites.  And looking at the cast list from that season, there's been a number of returning players and a crossover couple from it.  Yet I remember nothing about it, and I don't even remember the girl that won or why.  And that was a season I watched from start to finish.  I had a friend of mine that has voted a couple of times tell me she voted once for Culpepper.  Her reason?  "He was so arrogant and power crazed the first time, I want to see his downfall happen again."  I think the big personalities, and even some of these twists with the idols, advantages, etc, have hijacked more of the contestants airtime as well as strategic game play and maybe even some funnier, bonding moments that we used to see behind the scenes where friendships were formed.  I can remember more about pre-merge boots in the first 6 seasons than I can about the final 3 in the last 3.  I was among those disappointed the deck was stacked with more recent returnees than older seasons.  I don't believe they couldn't find a decent amount from the earlier years as much as the newer peeps are more with the Survivor in crowd that is besties with Jeff and production.  I get the complaining, and I knew that the old school Survivors would have more of an uphill battle.  As an in-between fan, I am disappointed but resigned at the outcome tonight.  I don't think the casual fans shouldn't matter.  Because you are right, all fans (super and casual) have kept this show going for 30 seasons.

Of course, the coverage of Survivor today is also vastly different than it was 15 years ago.  Back then, all the castoffs usually made the rounds on The Early Show, Rosie O'Donnell, Letterman, Hollywood Squares, all the magazines and entertainment shows covered them.  So I think that helped in getting to know them and having them make more of a permanent stamp, compared to the latter half of the series, where it's all about social media and maybe local interviews.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if 10,000,000 ballots cast is the number of times the "vote" button has been clicked, meaning the men are on one ballot and the women on another. That would at least cut the number in half, to 5,000,000 voters completing two ballots each. And of those 5,000,000 voters, there are probably a good percentage who have voted multiple times, and possibly from more than one account. If there were 100,000 "superfans" voting every day, 2 ballots per day, that would be 2.8 million ballots cast by them. Not that I have any clue how many superfans there are, or even what constitutes one, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by Starla

In terms of casual vs super fans, I'm probably in the middle. I remember things from much earlier seasons (what challenge took place at what stage, contestants, little minor moments), but I had a hard time placing Monica, Stephanie, and Mikayla. Even Jim and Troyzan I don't remember a lot about. And I keep forgetting South Pacific was even a season. Despite having two returnees, one of whom is among my all time favorites. And looking at the cast list from that season, there's been a number of returning players and a crossover couple from it. Yet I remember nothing about it, and I don't even remember the girl that won or why. And that was a season I watched from start to finish. I had a friend of mine that has voted a couple of times tell me she voted once for Culpepper. Her reason? "He was so arrogant and power crazed the first time, I want to see his downfall happen again." I think the big personalities, and even some of these twists with the idols, advantages, etc, have hijacked more of the contestants airtime as well as strategic game play and maybe even some funnier, bonding moments that we used to see behind the scenes where friendships were formed. I can remember more about pre-merge boots in the first 6 seasons than I can about the final 3 in the last 3. I was among those disappointed the deck was stacked with more recent returnees than older seasons. I don't believe they couldn't find a decent amount from the earlier years as much as the newer peeps are more with the Survivor in crowd that is besties with Jeff and production. I get the complaining, and I knew that the old school Survivors would have more of an uphill battle. As an in-between fan, I am disappointed but resigned at the outcome tonight. I don't think the casual fans shouldn't matter. Because you are right, all fans (super and casual) have kept this show going for 30 seasons.

Of course, the coverage of Survivor today is also vastly different than it was 15 years ago. Back then, all the castoffs usually made the rounds on The Early Show, Rosie O'Donnell, Letterman, Hollywood Squares, all the magazines and entertainment shows covered them. So I think that helped in getting to know them and having them make more of a permanent stamp, compared to the latter half of the series, where it's all about social media and maybe local interviews.

I was talking to my friend who is a casual fan and she does not remember Varner from the show at all, but remembers him from all the press he did after the show.

I think a big reason why Samoa-Caramoan blend together for me is because of all the returning players that came back in that time period.

Of course, the coverage of Survivor today is also vastly different than it was 15 years ago. Back then, all the castoffs usually made the rounds on The Early Show, Rosie O'Donnell, Letterman, Hollywood Squares, all the magazines and entertainment shows covered them. So I think that helped in getting to know them and having them make more of a permanent stamp, compared to the latter half of the series, where it's all about social media and maybe local interviews.

I've watched from the beginning, and I followed the show on the internet, mostly.  I was aware of the talk show appearances but hardly ever watched them.  I always read TWOP, Dalton Ross at EW, Survivor Sucks, and Reality News Online.  Dalton is still blessedly with us, this site has replaced (again, blessedly) TWOP. I sometimes look at Sucks but not that often since it so often seems like a 4chan forum.  The one I really miss is Reality News Online, which always had the best boot interviews.

• Love 3

Question regarding Evolution of Strategy:

Do you/should you rewatch a season before listening to each season? I was considering buying it, but the time commitment required to rewatch a season and then listen to all the hours seems too high for my current lifestyle. :)

The only one I've bought is All-Stars, because I owned the DVD and rewatched each episode before listening to the podcast. And while I was listening, it seemed like Rob and Josh were doing a good job of setting things up in case you hadn't watched. Do you find this to be true? Could I just skip the re watching and go straight to listening?

• Love 1

Just chiming in to say that the talk with Shane from the other night was really great.  If you want to gain insight into the S31 process, and laugh your ass off at the same time, its worth a listen.  Plus, he names names.  Lots of them.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do you/should you rewatch a season before listening to each season? I was considering buying it, but the time commitment required to rewatch a season and then listen to all the hours seems too high for my current lifestyle. :)

The only one I've bought is All-Stars, because I owned the DVD and rewatched each episode before listening to the podcast. And while I was listening, it seemed like Rob and Josh were doing a good job of setting things up in case you hadn't watched. Do you find this to be true? Could I just skip the re watching and go straight to listening?

I think you could. I've only bought/listened to the seasons I know really well Borneo, Australia and I just bought All-Stars. I plan on buying Exile Island this Friday for the same reason. With that being said I haven't rewatched any season besides watching brief YouTube clips in about 10 years and I was able to follow along fine.

Edited by choclatechip45

Question regarding Evolution of Strategy:

No, but I only buy the seasons that are my favorites and I have watched many times. That means S10 Palau and Cook Islands in the future.

Just chiming in to say that the talk with Shane from the other night was really great. If you want to gain insight into the S31 process, and laugh your ass off at the same time, its worth a listen. Plus, he names names. Lots of them.

I wasn't a huge fan of his, but his interview actually made me do a complete 180, and now I'm sad that he won't be on. When he was saying something like 26 people approached him to strategize, it actually made a lot of sense. I thought he was pretty likely to be picked. If you're going to put your pregame eggs in anyone's basket, it makes more sense to align with someone you're confident will be picked. I know Rob said he was on the bubble, but I was still surprised that he didn't make it, especially with Mike out of the running. Anyway, he did give a some good dirt!

• Love 1
(edited)

Jeff said they would never announce the rankings or vote totals, but I would really like to see who ended up finishing 11th, and lucking out thanks to Mike.  I'm thinking Keith, but I wouldn't be surprised if he actually finished a bit higher thanks to the recency.  In addition, I'm curious where Carolyn ranked.  I haven't listened to that entire RHAP yet, but plan on it this week.  

Edited by LadyChatts