Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

Kmart has been on the endangered list for a while now and thinks it can up its holiday sales with ads featuring an obnoxious guy on a pogo stick talking about how he bought an oven for a blind date, the blind date didn't show up, and now he has two ovens.

• Love 6

That Kmart commercial with the creepy guy on the pogo stick pretty much sums up why they are going down the toilet.  The people in charge thought that commercial was a good idea.  They must be imbeciles.

The last two Kmarts in my area are closing as we speak, so having to sit through those ads that don't even apply here is doubly annoying. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Don't know what to think of this one O_O.

Here's the full version.

WTF? The first clip went on forever, so if that's the short version, I can't even begin to imagine how long the full version lasts.   Then again, it's so bizarre that I love it.  The down side is that I can't get the sing-song phrase out of my head: "I want a deep fried turkey".  (Where's the dingle dangle thing?)  It's particularly irritating because I'm a vegetarian and totally do NOT want a deep fried turkey.

• Love 1
On November 12, 2016 at 0:34 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I forget which pet store it is for, but I love the commercial with the boy who wants a guinea pig. 

I love this! But the funniest part (although sad it's needed) is the disclaimer at the bottom in small type..."Don't shake or wrap small animals". Oh and it's a Petco ad.

• Love 3

I'm feeling a bit grinchy this season due to consecutive years of military separations during the holidays. The Kroger Thanksgiving ad with the multiple generations celebrating together is getting on my last nerve. I know that Christmas and Thanksgiving are family holidays, but how about a commercial with a small intimate holiday celebration with a family of 4 or 6 or a couple celebrating alone (maybe snowed in) instead of a madhouse of 30 people. 

And don't even get me started on the commercials where the military person makes a surprise return on Christmas morning or in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. 

• Love 5

Because a small gathering or a snowed in couple can't overspend at the grocery store thereby ensuring the company's profit for the year.

Plus, we all WANT to spend the holidays in a madhouse talking to people we don't see the other 10 months of the year.  Right?   

• Love 7

I love this! But the funniest part (although sad it's needed) is the disclaimer at the bottom in small type..."Don't shake or wrap small animals"

... unless you're Aunt Bethany in "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation" and can't help it.

• Love 3

The ad with the bear grandparents... it seems the glitter dust of holidays past has been stirred up and caused my eyes to get a bit watery. Sniffle. 

Edited by ramble
  • Love 2

Walked to the grocery store this afternoon, I think a lot while on these walks, after I planned a dinner party for after I move out of my sister's house, I thought about good commercials, Some of my favorites are old, old, old and holiday commercials. And they are all gentle, no smacking watchers upside the head. The Miller High Life that I posted above, the "I'd Like to Teach The World To Sing" by Coca Cola, The Norelco Santa, the Hershey's Kisses bells and, this one is a bit controversial, but the original "Peter, home for Christmas" by Folger's. The last I like because when I first moved away from home, 1,000 miles away from home, I couldn't go home for Christmas, I did get to spend time with a boyfriend's family in NYC, but it wasn't home and it wasn't my family, they were very nice people, but they weren't my people and they never became my family, but I was grateful to them for opening their home to me on that long-ago Christmas.

• Love 8

withanaich, there was lots and lots of discussion on the TWOP boards over both commercials. I agree with Jaded, the update is creepy, they went too far trying to explain things. Controversial because silly people read more into than is there. To me, it's just a simple story. And it takes me back to leaving home.

• Love 2

I saw Liz Taylor shilling her White Dismonds yesterday. How old IS that commercial?

The Hershey's commercial is sweet but I hope that's not a real fire in the fireplace or those stockings are going to be a mess!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

The Hershey's commercial is sweet but I hope that's not a real fire in the fireplace or those stockings are going to be a mess!

I think the stockings were in front of a tv with a fire on the screen. ? ? 

The Folgers commercials are nice. As a military spouse, the surprise homecoming commercials annoy me. The last thing I want to see is someone surprising their family when mine is stuck on a ship in the middle of nowhere with no opportunity whatsoever to spend the holiday with their family. 

• Love 3

That Hershey commercial is awfully sweet. I love to see adult children taking care of their mothers.

I somehow knew the Big Lots commercials would terrible again this year. The woman singing about her fireplace to the tune of "Silent Night" really bothers me.

• Love 2

Even if in the scene in the ad the stockings were in front of a digital fire, they did say their tradition was stocking full of Hershey kisses, so in theory, if they ever did hang them on the fireplace, such as when the brothers were children, and the fireplace were on, that's one melty stocking. Other than that I enjoyed the ad. It somehow managed not to be tooooo sentimental.

Edited by theatremouse
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

One year for Easter, we hid chocolate mini eggs all over the yard the night before. Our poor son spent the morning collecting little bits of colored foil. I hope the squirrels didn't get too sick.

Squirrels sleep at night, so it was probably mice or rats.

• Love 2
On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 11:02 PM, mmecorday said:

Kmart has been on the endangered list for a while now and thinks it can up its holiday sales with ads featuring an obnoxious guy on a pogo stick talking about how he bought an oven for a blind date, the blind date didn't show up, and now he has two ovens.

Agreed. Say what you will about the Target Two-day Sale lady ( I personally thought she was funny.), she was nowhere near as annoying as the pogo guy and the elf woman.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

One year, we actually got toothpaste. Ipana had come out with a new dispenser, not a tube, and my mom thought it was cool, so both my brother and I got one. It was stupid. I did eventually forgive her.

ipana.jpg

I don't see how a squeeze bottle saves more money than a toothpaste tube that can be rolled up.

While watching the Thanksgiving parade, I saw this one.  I usually don't care for the "touching " ads, this one got to me.

However, how did it know where he lived?

• Love 2

Just saw back-to-back ads with one kid leaving a Coke for Santa, then another kid leaving an Oreo.  He's going to be one wired Claus and lets hope he doesn't have 'feed his reindeer' too often before his return to the North Pole.

1 hour ago, InDueTime said:

While watching the Thanksgiving parade, I saw this one.  I usually don't care for the "touching " ads, this one got to me.

Dammit, the dried chopped onions I used for my stuffing weren't supposed to make me cry!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, InDueTime said:

That one got me too. I thought Santa was flying up to heaven because the dude had died at first. 

Edited by bitchin camaro
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Santa knows were everyone lives.  I think he's tied in to the NSA computers...

I guess this one is supposed to be "touching" and "heartwarming" but I think it's strange, and maybe a little creepy.

• Love 3
On 11/23/2016 at 8:54 PM, smittykins said:

I can pretty much guarantee that no child ever has gotten excited about finding a toothbrush in his/her stocking, even a fancy-schmancy Spinbrush.

Au contraire!  It's a tradition in our house.  New spin brushes for everyone in their stockings!  I neglected one year and the kids were disappointed.  Really!

• Love 4