Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E02: Trust Issues

Yeah, I don't understand just what it is about Taye Diggs.  I don't actively dislike him but I don't like him either.  I won't tune into anything or go see a movie just because his name is attached to it.  He doesn't draw me in.  And I can't put my finger on it. But I haven't "gotten" him since How Stella Got Her Groove Back.

• Love 3

The announcer on the sports show now airing on CBS said that 60 Minutes would begin immediately after the game was over except on the west coast (where it will presumable start on time). Madam Secretary would start an hour later, followed by The Good Wife.

The game seems to have one minute and 13 seconds left, but the clock is stopped.

ETA: 60 Minutes is starting at 6:15 CDT, or 15 minutes late--maybe 13 minutes if the commercials count as part of the show. So, start your engines! Er, ah, I mean: Set your DVRs!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

What do people see in Taye Diggs? I have seen him only in a few episodes of that awful show about a doctor and I thought he was terrible. 

I like him okay and he is the lead in Murder in the First on TNT which got renewed so I don't see him having a very big part on TGW b/c I'd think he may have scheduling issues later in the season. Murder in the First is a summer show, but I'd think they'd start taping before TGW would end, or maybe his is a short term character who'll be a scapegoat for something or other later in the season?

I stepped out during a commercial and was wondering if I missed anything. When I came back in the room, Alicia was sleepily talking to a reporter on the phone. Did anything happen before that?

CarEy's name was mentioned enough tonight that the theory on him is starting to look good. Seconding the bail motion when no one else would is interesting, though. If so many people were hesitant to second Alicia's motion, would it even have passed the vote? Obviously it did; I'm just surprised no one else spoke up.

• Love 1

I doubt it was actually Carey since Kalinda could tell who the CI was based on whose voice was loudest on the tape.  If she could hear the voices on the tape that clearly, surely she would know if it wasn't Cary's voice but instead Carey's, right?  I think Cary's "hypothetical advice" was edited, as Kalinda, Diane, and Cary were suggesting.

• Love 3

I agree The Bullpen.  The CarEy theory was a great one but tonight's mention of the tape seems to indicate the show is going in a different direction. 

I'm kind of surprised Diane just started asking people to join the firm without talking to Alicia.  That seems a bit presumptive. 

• Love 8

I totally agree lrland. I was really surprised that Diane presumed to bring such a large group. If I were Alicia or Cary (or any F-A partner), I think I'd be nervous about being outnumbered in my own firm. And it also caught my ear when Diane and Dean kept talking about building "exactly what they want". What? What about the people not named Diane or Dean - the founders? Big Diane fan still, but that struck me a bit wrong.

Excellent use of the chaos and nerve-wrenching sound of the construction to pound home the level of stress and chaos in the firm. I wanted to instantly evict the entire construction crew several times which, if course, is what I was supposed to feel like.

Who's the random guy undressing in the elevator and using the sink? And does subjecting clients to that take the "quirky firm" vibe a bit too far?

Edited by terracool
  • Love 4

Who's the random guy undressing in the elevator and using the sink? And does subjecting clients to that take the "quirky firm" vibe a bit too far?

I don't know, but it is too far, no matter who he is!

I thought Diane was caught off guard by all those LG partners wanting to move over. I blame Dean for that.

• Love 2

I get letting the guy use the washroom to clean up, but letting him walk around shirtless in the building, come on writers that is just ludicrous for me to believe Alicia would allow that.  

So since Cary is out on bail, which i'm sure we won't find out for awhile on where it came from, does that mean he is on board w/Diane joining the firm?  I have a feeling now like others have mentioned that we are going to have a Alicia/Cary vs Diane/Taye Diggs for where they want the firm to turn into.  I really think the writers should have given Florrick/Agos another year to grow as a firm before bringing in Diane and others b/c right now we are going to constantly have Diane saying that she knows more than Alicia and Cary on how to run a firm b/c of more experience causing them to all butt heads.

I know Grace isn't the most popular character but they need to show her or have her voice in the background b/c right now it looks like Alicia doesn't have anybody else in the house w/her.

I totally agree w/Peter in regards to signing the second mortgage for Cary's bail.  She should have known that he couldn't do that b/c he is the freaking Governor and his name is synonymous with corruption.

So do we think the bail money came from Bishop or that Alicia accepted the money and has now decided to run for State's Attorney.  

There is no way that Canning and Lee didn't know the plans of Diane, Taye Diggs, and the others before their silent walkout.  

I have an issue on why nobody has thought of asking Diane to run for State's Attorney, hell they wanted her for a judge after all plus she fits that woman criteria they are looking for.

• Love 2

Yes, I agree -- Diane was presumptuous.  Also, the shirtless homeless guy was too much (unless he's Chekhov's shirtless guy which, knowing our writers, he very well may be!).

Despite those little things, I only had one thought when the episode ended: I love this show.  It earns its moments.  When Diane whispered "goodbye" on the elevator, I almost started weeping. 

I don't know if the show led us there before, but they are making sure there is no question about Bishop.  This is not a guy selling weed out of his greenhouse.  What a horrible position for Kalinda et. al. to be in.  Gah.   And yet I have that voice that says, "you took him on as a client, what did you think would happen?"  And yet our system says that everyone deserves a competent defense.  And yet, and yet...

Love this show (even when it's giving me an ulcer).  And remember, people: they are doing this 22 shows a year.  Makes 8 and 10 and 13 episode "seasons" look easy.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh
  • Love 8

I did like the scene when Taye's character went to check out FA. The blonde girl was written a little too over the top in that scene but the understated incredulous look on his face was pretty good.

Shirtless elevator dude? Weird.

I miss Will.

Edited by HappyDancex2
  • Love 5

I really like Taye Diggs.  I think he's charming and I loved his arc in Ally McBeal.  Private Practice?  No.  Hated him on that show.  I don't have a feel for him on this one, yet.

Are those extra lawyers bringing clients, too?  That's pretty presumptuous.

Diane wants to turn FA into her image?   Does that include all the financial problems LG had?   Like being top heavy in partners and having too many people to pay?   So let's bring all these partners and associates from LG to FA without consulting Florrick and Agos.   Talk about the definition of insanity.   

Using an advance on payment to pay one partner's bail?   INstead of, I don't know, the firm bills like payroll?    And I hate to say it but HUGE ethics violation.   Until the money is earned, it ain't the firm's.   It goes into the trust account to be billed against.   Even if the client sends in payment in advance, it goes into the trust account until the payment is due.   Unless you want to be explaining why you used client funds to pay private bail.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 4

Alicia seems to not care about ethics. I didn't blame Peter at all for not signing his name. The Governor mortgaging his home to pay the bail for an arrested drug dealer for Bishop? Despite the fact Cary was innocent, Alicia not understanding why Peter said no and even saying that nobody would find out made her look like a moron. 

• Love 3

Not just the shirtless guy, but the level of construction going on was crazy. It costs a lot per hour to have those butt crack guys drilling and hammering and sawing and otherwise creating an OSHA ocean of dust--at a time when they were strapped for cash. This is what happens when the network says do 22 episodes because the show's a money maker. Sigh. I miss Breaking Bad.

I already deleted it. Has anyone compared the two Car(e)ys' voices? Are they similar?

Yeah, the construction stuff was ridiculous.  It made them look like idiots for scheduling that sort of demolition during business hours in a working office.  And seriously, who was doing it?  It was less professional than homeowners on HGTV.  They're attornies, they've heard of OSHA.  And the shirtless dude?  Also ridiculous.  

And I'm tired of Taye Diggs being the token black professional.  There are other attractive black actors.  

So basically Florrick Agos is Lockhart Gardner in new offices, minus David Lee?  

I don't think the Cary's voices are similar.  Matt C's is distinctly sexy.  

Matthew Goode (Finn) isn't bad looking dead-on but from the side he morphs into Ray Bolger from the Wizard of Oz.  Two weakest chins in tv history.

Edited by Guest

I thought Diane was caught off guard by all those LG partners wanting to move over. I blame Dean for that.

I thought that was very odd as well. She told the guy not to say anything, and he apparently told quite a few people. Did he tell some who decided not to bail on LG? One would think that the first look at the digs with no walls, ongoing construction and a shirtless guy wandering around brushing his teeth would send at least some of them begging for their jobs back at LG. And how can a start up afford all of those extra bodies all at once?

This show is bordering on daytime soap unbelievabilty for me.  Why did Alicia think Peter would sign for a loan for the guy who has a drug accusation against him? And why would Peter care about Cary? He is the partner of his pretend wife - nothing more. Are we supposed to be impressed that Valerie Jarrett has nothing better to do with her time that woo Alicia? One would think that she would have better things to do. But then one would think in real life she would have more important things to do than cameo on TGW.

• Love 1

I totally agree w/Peter in regards to signing the second mortgage for Cary's bail.

I would almost bet that someone at the bank would be leaking that information as soon as the papers came back, too.  Peter is capable of self-preservation, to say the least. 

I can suggest a new client for Florrick Agos now.  The owner of the previous office building that David Lee shanked by claiming it was infested and in need of fumigation.  They could sue the former firm (what is it now, Manning, Lee,  and Associates?) for defamation.

• Love 2

My understanding was that Robin said the shirtless guy was a homeless person off the street that they allowed in at 3pm(IIRC) each day to use the bathroom/shower.  That is, not one of the construction guys.

Agree that Alicia/Cary might be concerned with Diane bringing in multiple add'l partners that will (presumably) remain loyal to her, going forward.  On the plus side, they described them as "department heads".  If so, we can safely assume (IMHO) that they're at the level where L/G clients would follow them.

Yes, I noticed the ethics violation WRT the Chum-Hum advance fees.  Feels like Alicia (i.e. the show) simply made an error by stating that an advance fee would be the source of the bail funds in an official meeting, duly noted in the meeting minutes.  Sounded as if the bail funds would be available from other sources, however.

What sources?  Well, if anyone noticed, after they voted on Diane's transition, somebody called out, "We're out of debt!"  I assumed they were referring to Diane's partner capital contribution.  Those funds s/b available for either working capital or bail.  Likewise, Taye Diggs' character (was it Dean?) and the other 6 partners should also be contributing.

So, they can continue to float F/A/L's current financing and use the partner contributions for either add'l working capital and/or bail.  They also scored a cut of that Chum-Hum settlement, correct?  Sounds like Alicia simply needed to properly state the source of funds during the meeting to avoid the obvious ethics violation.

Has anyone else noticed that they seem to make at least one of these legal errors each episode?  Do they have a legal advisor on the production team?  Julianna s/b used to consulting professionals to maintain some semblance of authenticity;  E/R always had an m.d. available for that reason, lol! 

Also agree that Peter was correct to avoid signing the loan documents.  Yes, that would be immediately leaked by someone at the bank.

WRT the wire and evidentiary tape recording, I've never noticed any similarity between Cary and CarEy's voices.  I assume at some point they would acquire the recording through the discovery process and have an expert analyze it.  Assuming Cary's telling the truth about what he did or didn't advise Bishop's crew, an expert could verify whether or not the tape had been doctored.

Agree, even though most of us dislike Grace storylines, they need to have her appear in a scene, occasionally.

Edited by BearCat49

As a founding member of Lockhart-Gardner, I would have thought she had the opportunity to build exactly what she wanted to there.

Thought she was referring to her loss of control over the firm given the Canning/Lee alliance.  Without Will, ...  And, over the years, she and Will didn't always agree, lol!

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 4

Not just the shirtless guy, but the level of construction going on was crazy. It costs a lot per hour to have those butt crack guys drilling and hammering and sawing and otherwise creating an OSHA ocean of dust--at a time when they were strapped for cash.

Unfortunately, it'd be even more expensive to have the construction crew work during off hours, IMHO.  And, then they'd lose the plot device, lol.

I assumed they were constructing Diane's office, adding a few walls.  Somehow, I can't picture Diane sitting out in the open!

This.

I was somewhat disappointed in Robin.  She's usually painted as someone being fairly savvy.  She didn't know who the character was.  She viewed him as a potential client.  I can't believe she would have said that Cary might be back in 5-10 to a potential client, even in a joking manner.  A real potential client would have probably ran for the door at that point.

I couldn't see Robin's character doing that, either.

Edited by BearCat49

Yes, I agree -- Diane was presumptuous.  Also, the shirtless construction guy was too much (unless he's Chekhov's shirtless guy which, knowing our writers, he very well may be!).

Despite those little things, I only had one thought when the episode ended: I love this show.  It earns its moments.  When Diane whispered "goodbye" on the elevator, I almost started weeping. 

I don't know if the show led us there before, but they are making sure there is no question about Bishop.  This is not a guy selling weed out of his greenhouse.  What a horrible position for Kalinda et. al. to be in.  Gah.   And yet I have that voice that says, "you took him on as a client, what did you think would happen?"  And yet our system says that everyone deserves a competent defense.  And yet, and yet...

Love this show (even when it's giving me an ulcer).  And remember, people: they are doing this 22 shows a year.  Makes 8 and 10 and 13 episode "seasons" look easy.

I loved Diane's "Good-bye", too, although the 7 additional partners (w/o F/A authorization, supposedly) seemed a little too improbable, i.e. another plot device.  It appeared she grabbed the pic of she and Will, right?  The Hilary/Diane photo must have already been packed!

Was Bishop's true profession ever in question?  I never thought so ...  What's the saying, you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas?  Yes, Kalinda obviously didn't want to even murmur a single thing that might cause him to off another crew member.

I'm glad they pulled the show out of the doldrums it was in a couple of seasons ago.  Didn't Julianna make a comment about the writers and 22 episodes at the Emmy awards?  As a comparison to cable dramas, IIRC -

Edited by BearCat49

What do people see in Taye Diggs? I have seen him only in a few episodes of that awful show about a doctor and I thought he was terrible. 

It did feel as if they were using him, or at least depicting him, as a token, IMHO.  Didn't care for and was surprised at the way Robin assumed he needed counsel.

• Love 3

Diane telling Taye Diggs about going to FA, and him then telling a bunch of other people, really irritated me. And I would have found it much more believable for Alicia to be irritated as well, rather than welcome everyone with open arms. I am assuming we are supposed to assume they were all bringing a bunch of clients and $$$ and that was why, but still. If I were Alicia (let alone Cary - with whom I am sympathising a lot on this issue) I'd be seeing huge red flags about my authority at the FIRM I HAD JUST FOUNDED being pulled out from under me in pretty short order. Of course the reality is that this is all writerly stuff to set up conflict down the line.

Also, I was puzzled why, if Diane already had a bunch of women and minorities in Dept Head positions, she feels she has to leave LG ( C ) to go and do the same thing at Florrick Argos. She seemed to be saying to Taye Diggs that she wanted to leave LG ( C ) in order to create the kind of firm she'd already created. I thought she was leaving because she couldn't stand constantly fighting with David Lee and Canning, which is a totally legitimate reason, IMO; I guess she felt she had to come up with something more 'worthy' to convince Taye Diggs. And that had to be done because for some reason (that I don't get) the Kings wanted to hire Taye Diggs.

Edited by Big Bad Wolf

By reading this thread I wasn't the only only who thought the episode was a little boring. I was somewhat relieved when it ended.

I think the shirtless guy is a homeless guy that is allowed to use the shower, like someone mentioned. Why he is there, I cannot imagine. If this is supposed to be a Social Awareness PSA, it failed.

I love Diana, but she will derail things. She is competitive by nature and she will want to be in charge. ANd I agree that it was strange that nobody showed surprise when all the other lawyers walked in. Even with all the money they are bringing in. 

There writing disappointed me

• Love 1

Alicia seems to not care about ethics. I didn't blame Peter at all for not signing his name. The Governor mortgaging his home to pay the bail for an arrested drug dealer for Bishop? Despite the fact Cary was innocent, Alicia not understanding why Peter said no and even saying that nobody would find out made her look like a moron. 

I think Alicia got why he wouldn't sign. I think her disillusionment this time, was about the fact that Peter, the man she married, put optics over getting an innocent man out of custody where he was being actively mistreated and pressured. But then I don't see anything ethical or laudable about Peter's decision myself. Understandable, yes. Predictable, yes. Ethical? No. IMO, ethics is usually not about optics but doing the right thing. This is the best I've liked Alicia in a while, except she then proceeded to do the same thing by rejecting that real estate guy's money. 

Not just the shirtless guy, but the level of construction going on was crazy. It costs a lot per hour to have those butt crack guys drilling and hammering and sawing and otherwise creating an OSHA ocean of dust--at a time when they were strapped for cash. This is what happens when the network says do 22 episodes because the show's a money maker. Sigh. I miss Breaking Bad.

I must say I like having more time to spend with these characters, and not watch a guy who became a meth dealer because he was dying of cancer. They were letting a homeless guy come in and use their toilets once a day. Charitable acts are not always easy. I also wasn't surprised because they'd already talked about it before they showed the guy. And I figured the firm was strapped for cash because they had already commissioned the construction at their offices. Was it annoying? Yes. I don't know why they didn't have the depositions at the opposing firm's offices. I'm not sure how much home court advantage was to be had amidst the construction. Maybe they figured the opposing counsel would find it more unsettling, and easier to underestimate them?

Using an advance on payment to pay one partner's bail?   INstead of, I don't know, the firm bills like payroll?    And I hate to say it but HUGE ethics violation.   Until the money is earned, it ain't the firm's.   It goes into the trust account to be billed against.   Even if the client sends in payment in advance, it goes into the trust account until the payment is due.   Unless you want to be explaining why you used client funds to pay private bail.

Why would they need an unexpected advance for payroll? I figured FA were solvent, just indebted. They didn't pay Cary's bail initially because they wanted to remain solvent and kept their current assets for things like payroll. And a firm is allowed to advance funds to their employees for hardship, right? I figured that's what happened here. They didn't spend the money, they made Cary a loan - that is still an asset for for the firm. And they'd get the money back when Cary appeared for his court date. I think they can argue they converted one current asset (cash) into another (a loan).  

I already deleted it. Has anyone compared the two Car(e)ys' voices? Are they similar?

I thought the episode made it fairly clear, that neither of the Car(e)ys broke the law, Cary Agos's description of hypothetical ways to improve the authenticity of movie scripts was edited to make it seem that they told them how to move the drugs. 

Agree that Alicia/Cary might be concerned with Diane bringing in multiple add'l partners that will (presumably) remain loyal to her, going forward.  On the plus side, they described them as "department heads".  If so, we can safely assume (IMHO) that they're at the level where L/G clients would follow them.

Yes, I noticed the ethics violation WRT the Chum-Hum advance fees.  Feels like Alicia (i.e. the show) simply made an error by stating that an advance fee would be the source of the bail funds in an official meeting, duly noted in the meeting minutes.  Sounded as if the bail funds would be available from other sources, however.

What sources?  Well, if anyone noticed, after they voted on Diane's transition, somebody called out, "We're out of debt!"  I assumed they were referring to Diane's partner capital contribution.  Those funds s/b available for either working capital or bail.  Likewise, Taye Diggs' character (was it Dean?) and the other 6 partners should also be contributing.

So, they can continue to float F/A/L's current financing and use the partner contributions for either add'l working capital and/or bail.  They also scored a cut of that Chum-Hum settlement, correct?  Sounds like Alicia simply needed to properly state the source of funds during the meeting to avoid the obvious ethics violation.

Thanks for discussing the source of funds so eloquently. I'll admit I hadn't thought of this. What I figured they got was the money from FA settling the case against ChumHum prior to invoicing. So instead of waiting for the next billing cycle or something they got it early and that helped them get the 800k or whatever they needed for the bail. Considering that ChumHum are supposed to be a 35M client, they should be billing 3M every month anyway. And with additional partner contributions they have more working capital now.

Thought she was referring to her loss of control over the firm given the Canning/Lee alliance.  Without Will, ...  And, over the years, she and Will didn't always agree, lol!

Plus the firm used to be Stern, Lockhart and Gardner for 8 years, before becoming Lockhart Gardner. And I believe Stern was the strongest voice there. 

I couldn't see Robin's character doing that, either.

I'm not sure. Robin is pretty flaky. I do think the 5-10 joke was surprisingly mean. 

Was Bishop's true profession ever in question?  I never thought so ...  What's the saying, you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas?  Yes, Kalinda obviously didn't want to even murmur a single thing that might cause him to off another crew member.

What I don't get is why Bishop hasn't already killed all three of them. He knows it's definitely one of the three who were wearing wires. Is he worried about rebellion within the ranks if he offs 2 innocent lieutenants?

I will say that the Kings seem to have responded to one thing at least. Increasingly Cary and Diane seem to be the most sympathetic people on the show, so this season, Cary's in danger (not Alicia) and Diane's starting over. I think it's a good way to get the audience engaged again (well, a lot of the audience who've been tired of most of the players). It is very clever of them. Of course, we must suffer The Good Wife having a story, but then, we can't blame them - they've warned us in the title itself. 

Also, interesting to see Eli is back in form. Successfully deceiving Alicia. Long time coming. 

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 5

She and Alicia, and especially she and Cary, have not always agreed either.  Why does she think she will have more influence at shaping A-F, than she did at shaping L-G, of which she was a founding partner?  

It feels like she'd have a good shot at it, if she succeeds in bringing 7 partners along with her.  And, F/A's in a weakened state, IMHO, given Cary's situation.  Plus, Cary was initially her protégé.  And, she probably recruited some of the others out of law school and/or worked closely with them at L/G, too. 

I don't believe Alicia was particularly popular at L/G - especially when they promoted her over these other associates/partners and gave her the primo office across from Will, ahem ...

Diane wants to start over and have another chance, IMHO.  Wouldn't you want to escape the Canning/Lee political hornet's nest??

• Love 3

I love Diana, but she will derail things. She is competitive by nature and she will want to be in charge. ANd I agree that it was strange that nobody showed surprise when all the other lawyers walked in. Even with all the money they are bringing in. 

There writing disappointed me

Agree, Diane will attempt to take over.  Yes, why did they apparently ignore (or cut/edit) an entire storyline about F/A's approval of an additional 7 partners?  Cary voted against Diane so he would have hit the roof over 7 more!

How would Peter know that Cary's innocent?  Or, why would he make that assumption without reviewing the evidence?  If he's heard the SA had a CI and scored a recording, I don't believe he would.

Dipping into their trust account to pay a partner's personal expenses would be seriously frowned upon by the State Bar, IMHO.  And that's what it would be considered, IMHO, i.e. not a loan or asset.  Unfortunately, the State Bar wouldn't care that it's (supposedly) a bum rap, lol.

If Cary had the personal borrowing power to secure a $1.3M loan, he would have borrowed the bail funds himself.  So, for financial statement purposes, Cary's debt would be considered uncollectible and written off as such on the balance sheet (b/s).  It would be an expense, not an asset - JMHO.

ETA:  I should add the following:  technically, trust accts and unearned fees are restricted/blocked accts and would never be considered assets for purposes of F/A's balance sheet.  Just saying that if they were, Cary's debt couldn't be considered a replacement asset for the trust account.  Or, alternatively, if we prepared a b/s for the trust account, itself.  Sorry if I took everyone too far into the weeds on the financial issues.

F/A was seriously undercapitalized and still in debt for start-up expenses prior to Diane's capital contribution.  I believe that's why someone called out "We're out of debt" after they voted her in.  Thus, the Chum-Hum monthly billing (plus other assorted clients) wasn't covering their operating expenses plus principal, assuming Chum-Hum was paying ther bills currently and not stretching, like many clients. 

Yes, they can apply funds out of the trust fund if/when appropriate.  During that meeting, if we believe the writers, hahaha, they weren't aware of 7 additional partners and their capital contributions!

Yes, Diane was recruited and mentored by Stern.  IIRC, however, was he was out of the picture for at least a few years due to alcoholism and/or cancer. 

Thought Robin was smarter than to make a 5-10 crack in front of a well-dressed, potential client or some other professional who had business dealings with the firm.

Good point / question about why Bishop didn't simply eliminate all 3 capos.  I assumed he wanted to make an example of the 1, the supposed guilty party.  And, it seems like he'd need the rest of the ranks to continue working, maintaining order within the organization. 

WRT the depositions, I believe home court advantage always helps, in spite of the annoying construction.  And, Alicia could throw the firm's growth in the opposing counsel's face, i.e. the one who passed her over.  Plus, sometimes those interruptions come in handy, lol!

Didn't Alicia march right over to Eli after the Valerie Jarrett call?  I didn't believe he fooled her.

I agree with you, romantic idiot, that Cary and Diane are the most sympathetic characters.  We were all bored to tears when every plot focused around the "Good Wife". 

Question:  Does Kalinda have stronger feelings towards Cary, even actual love, or is it simply a little bisexual lust?  We know Cary's always been hot for her.  They're working on the same team, again.

Edited by BearCat49
  • Love 1
I don't think the Cary's voices are similar.  Matt C's is distinctly sexy.

I watched in "real time" last night and know I missed something, obviously.  Two Carys?  How do we know there's another Cary?  After the crew talked about discussing hypothetical situations I believed Cary might have added to their discussions.   So many legal/crime shows I've watched have used that to get people to confess, give them information etc that I didn't think it was unusual.

Diane said that David Lee had no idea she was leaving, but in the last episode didn't he figure it out?  I'm sure he was looking at Alicia and Diane together and figured it out.  Am I imaging things?  Now having said that I did think it was strange that she was left alone to leave at the end of the day.  If I thought someone was going to another company vs actually retiring I wouldn't be leaving them unattended giving them opportunity to remove things/get information they shouldn't have before leaving. 

• Love 1

watched in "real time" last night and know I missed something, obviously.  Two Carys?  How do we know there's another Cary

There's been another Carey around since before they started the new firm.  He was with them at LG and went with them to FA when they left.  The other lawyer working with Alicia on the depo is the other Carey (spelled with an e).  He has also had some dealings with Bishop which is why there was speculation here last week that perhaps the cops arrested Cary but really were after Carey.  The 'same name' thing has been brought up several times over the past couple seasons.

Edited by doodlebug

Peter came off as the smartest person in this episode. Alicia was an idiot to believe that he would sign his name to anything that was even tangentially related to Lemond Bishop. Then off course, she tried to make it personal. Sorry Lish, you're the one who wanted to stay business partners with Peter instead of spouses. Don't expect him to make himself vulnerable for one of your pet causes just because you bat your eyes at him. And who wants to bet that her treatment of that real estate mogul in this ep isn't going to come back to bite her sometime this season?

Eli's attempts to get Alicia to run are leaving a really bad taste in my mouth. She said no. She means no. He refuses to listen and just keeps steamrolling her. The woman just started a new business and she hasn't even been able to do that without untold amounts of drama. Besides, Alicia sucks at politics. I'd just as soon they bring back creepy Wendy Scott Carr because I have no desire to watch the story of Alicia's campaign.

Now I'm very intrigued to see which way Cary's story goes. It's telling that they haven't allowed the audience to hear the tape or had any of Bishop's crew identify Cary but I have to believe that super sleuth Kalinda would be able to recognize the difference so I wonder where this is going.

• Love 1

Random observation: Valerie Jarrett was actually a pretty convincing actress. Normally these cameos don't go very well, but I didn't find her to be stilted at all. Especially given the contrived plotline, she did a great job.

I think Alicia knew full well why Peter didn't want to co-sign, that's why she tried to convince the woman from the back that his signature wasn't really necessary. That she went there shows her loyalty to Cary and passion for their firm. Also a good moment, because it's a reminder to Alicia of another one of the down sides to maintaining her legal ties to Peter.

Great moment with Diane in the elevator, but I was really expecting to see David Lee come flying through the door on his broomstick at the very last minute.

Robin's dopiness annoyed me. I also don't fully understand her role. Isn't she supposed to be an investigator? She keeps popping up in office manager, Joan Holloway-type functions and it's very annoying.

• Love 2
There's been another Carey around since before they started the new firm.  He was with them at LG and went with them to FA when they left.  The other lawyer working with Alicia on the depo is the other Carey (spelled with an e).  He has also had some dealings with Bishop which is why there was speculation here last week that perhaps the cops arrested Cary but really were after Carey.  The 'same name' thing has been brought up several times over the past couple seasons.

Thank you for answering that doodlebug and Sandman.  I really didn't clue into the fact there are two of them on the show - guess I should pay more attention to things.

I have an issue on why nobody has thought of asking Diane to run for State's Attorney, hell they wanted her for a judge after all plus she fits that woman criteria they are looking for.

They did ask her last season, she turned them down because she was still angry about the judgeship snub.

Robin's dopiness annoyed me. I also don't fully understand her role. Isn't she supposed to be an investigator? She keeps popping up in office manager, Joan Holloway-type functions and it's very annoying.

That doesn't bother me too much. It makes sense that a small firm would require people to wear many hats. 

I have to admit that I'm not looking forward to the culture clash we're going to see. Basically they just distilled the LG vs. FA battles from two firms down to one. It's going to be Diane's group vs the original FAers and my prediction is that Cary will pay the price. The truth is Alicia has never really shared Cary's vision. She only started the new firm to get away from Will. In the end she will never be the partner Cary needs. Hell, he's already paying the price. Alicia rejected that check because she thought is was a bribe for her to run for office. She put her comfort and reputation ahead of Cary's need then had the nerve to get salty when Peter did exactly the same thing and looked out for his interests. I'm glad Robin called her out.

Speaking of Robin, that's another thing I'm not looking forward to. Robin vs. Kalinda. That's going to be ugly and again, Cary will be the one caught in the middle. I can't wait for the day he tells Kalinda what he saw her say on the video last season.

• Love 5

I am disappointed- I feel this show is creating drama for the sake of having drama. It is a tangled mess IMO.

After years of watching, I guess I am done with this one. Normally it takes a lot for me to abandon a show I have watched for years, but this one was easy to walk away from. I do not even fully understand why.

• Love 3

Eli's attempts to get Alicia to run are leaving a really bad taste in my mouth. She said no. She means no. He refuses to listen and just keeps steamrolling her. The woman just started a new business and she hasn't even been able to do that without untold amounts of drama. Besides, Alicia sucks at politics. I'd just as soon they bring back creepy Wendy Scott Carr because I have no desire to watch the story of Alicia's campaign.

This. I mean I know Eli is slimy and opportunistic but this is just creating a problem. If she feels she has to run, It's going to be a pushy-shovey match to get her to do every single thing he's going to want her to do in order to win. Apparently he's no longer looking out for Peter so he has a lot of free time? He also knows all the dirty little skeletons in the Florrick's closets and he wants to shine MORE light on those? He is smarter than this so does he have a longer game in mind? Getting Alicia to run then drop out, giving the election to Castro who will then owe him?  That's weak. Alicia losing the election would be bad, winning would be worse.

I try to always use the Cary vs. CarEy spelling designations to make it clear(er).

Yes, Kalinda would already know if it's CarEy b/c she heard the recording.  I'm going with the altered tape theory unless something changes.

Agree, David Lee figured out what Diane was up to.  Guess the writers passed on that drama, too.

That's right, Miss Good Wife.  You need your spouse along for the ride, if you decide to remain married for show.  I was surprised that Alicia told the woman at the bank that her husband "doesn't live there full-time".  We'll see if that gets leaked -

Edited by BearCat49

It appeared she grabbed the pic of she and Will, right?  The Hilary/Diane photo must have already been packed!

I thought it was the pic of Diane and Hillary.