Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia

Nearly two months after Olivia and Jake boarded a private jet to stand in the sun together, everything has changed. With another four years in the White House, Fitz and Cyrus are doing everything they can to make a positive impact on the nation. Meanwhile, Mellie struggles to cope with the loss of her son and the gladiators feel the impact of Olivia’s absence.

Well, I'm surprised in saying this, but I feel sorry for Mellie.  The woman was never the most emotionally stable of characters on this show, but her son's death has pushed her well into broken territory.

My mother, in her sublime fashion, wonders if the writers are going to pull a "Mary Todd" with Mellie and have a plotline where she might be committed.

• Love 4

They should have eulogized Harrison like how these guys eulogized Columbus Short way back when (start at 0:25): 

Also, this should just be the Mellie Show.  I tuned out during everyone else's scenes.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2

Stupid show sucked me RIGHT BACK IN.  I have come to loathe Olivia Pope, so I enjoyed the brief moment when everyone was mad at her. 

I have to say, and it kills me to compliment Shonda, that this time jump was a brillant reboot.  Now we can see Fitz being the person they kept telling us he was all of season one, we can actually sympathize with everyone (except the Pope family, who is pretty much the scourge of humanity) and we even get to see Cyrus with fussy hair.

I wasn't impressed with Portia, but it's early. Maybe she'll grow on me.  Or leave soon.

And now the sexual tension starts building again. I won't lie...I rewound those hands five times to see if they flinched for each other.  STUPID ME.

• Love 3

Did Harrison not have any family? Why would it be left to Olivia Pope to plan his funeral? I know why it was done for the purposes of the show, to give Olivia and her gladiators a reason to come together, but it gives the impression that these people were raised in the woods, and just showed up at the OPA offices at some point. 

I did find it funny when Olivia justified her getting back in the game by quoting Harrison's "are we gladiators or bitches?". I mean look where that philosophy got Harrison.

I like Mellie, even though I find her to be overrated. By which I mean she was never as clever as she thought she was. I am not really sure what to make of her turning into Captain Sweatpants. But we shall see.  

I have to say, and it kills me to compliment Shonda, that this time jump was a brillant reboot.

I realize some time had passed, but I figured it was mere months. I didn't think it was enough to consider it a fresh start, at least no more than usual for any new season. Did I miss something?

Edited by reggiejax
Guest Accused Dingo

I missed this show. I love all the characters especially Quinn and Cyrus. Millie was sll kinds of sad. I didn't like her in the beginning of the show but she grew on me and now i just want to give her a big hug. Like Cyrus she is resigned to the Pope and Fitz show.

I like what the show is doing with the rest of the characters as well. I can see Abby working for the Whitehouse. Huck being lost. Quinn holding on to the person she has become.

As for family ties: Quinn was labeled the Molitov Mistress and her only family believes the lie. Huck was living on the street when Olivia found him,. The only one i can see having family is Abby but even she went to Olivia when she was being abused soo...

All in all a great season premiere.

Edited because i can't spell on my iphone:

Edited by Accused Dingo

I had forgotten how much I hate the dialogue and the bad acting on this show. I don't get how Jake who knocked out Olivia and sent her to the hospital is supposed to be the white knight or Fitz's dark knight. IMO, it does not matter how much Jake begs, he will never have the chemistry that Olivia and Fitz have barely touching each other's fingers. And wouldn't people have thought it odd that Fitz walked straight by his friend and former advisor without acknowledging her? Regardless, I expect they will be back in bed soon enough.

A big whatever to Mellie and Olivia's annoying gladiators 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Was anyone distracted during the first Olivia/Abby scene and the terrible FAKE!D.C. background.  Last time I was in D.C. there weren't nearly that many blurry people walking around and I was drunk.

I'm Team Mellie.  She's just fun.  I enjoy her scenes, even when she's being terrible.  It's nice that ALL the characters are pretty terrible people so I don't have to choose who I like on moral grounds.

I love the scene between Olivia and her dad.   It was...these people are insane!  I love it.  The weird thing about this show compared to others I watch is that I'm not hoping for a happy ending for 99% of these characters. I'm waiting for the train wreck. To watch it all crash down.  I think I would actually be angry if they did get the happily ever after whenever this show ends.

• Love 6

And now the sexual tension starts building again. I won't lie...I rewound those hands five times to see if they flinched for each other.  STUPID ME.

As I read everyone's comments, both here and at TVLine, I'm realizing that I may have read that completely differently. I interpreted the pinkie miss as intentional, and that they both smiled as they walked away from each other because they were each proud of themselves that they didn't reach for the other. Thoughts?

• Love 10
As I read everyone's comments, both here and at TVLine, I'm realizing that I may have read that completely differently. I interpreted the pinkie miss as intentional, and that they both smiled as they walked away from each other because they were each proud of themselves that they didn't reach for the other. Thoughts?

That was my interpretation of the scene.  

• Love 6

Was anyone distracted during the first Olivia/Abby scene and the terrible FAKE!D.C. background.  Last time I was in D.C. there weren't nearly that many blurry people walking around and I was drunk.

And the background when Mellie and Fitz were on the balcony.

That was how I saw it, too.

• Love 2
The green screens in this show were miles better than Grey's terrible opening tonight.

I missed the Grey's opening, but the green screen with Fitz and Mellie's scene on the White House balcony looked like one of those fake picture backgrounds.

Lots of racy dialogue in tonight's episode -- it's like they're trying to prove they can still be a 10PM show at 9PM (Eastern). Between Jake's promised sexual prowess, Mellie's "1976" comment and the equal pay bill, the vajayjay was doing a lot more than earning 77 cents on the dollar, amirite?

• Love 9
I don't get how Jake who knocked out Olivia and sent her to the hospital is supposed to be the white knight or Fitz's dark knight.

I like Olivia & Jake's chemistry, but yeah, I can't help but laugh at the idea that he's the good guy - the safe choice. It's stuff like that that makes me think the writers are trolling the audience.

• Love 6

I want to know how Olivia did her hair on the island. I didn't see one perm rod or hair dryer in any of those crates, so how did she wet set her hair? Or did she give herself a new curly weave?

Seriously, I enjoyed the episode more than I expected to. The crazy was toned down, at least for now. And the scene with Mellie lying down on her son's grave made me want to cry. But I'm with Gillian Rosh. I can't accept that Jake is Olivia's savior after he essentially Ray Riced her in his apartment.

There was one final tug on the Olitz heart string (and I thought mine were all gone): when Olivia and Fitz passed by each other in the Capitol building, and just for a moment, they were the only two people in the busy lobby. Not subtle, but still effective for this former Olitz addict. Yes, I sighed.

• Love 4

"It's 1976 down there."  Best line I've heard all week.

I thought the little triumphant smiles of Olivia and the President were the thrill of being in each other's aura again. 

• Love 10

I have soooo much to say so bear w/me. I am Shonda's bitch now. Was already almost there on Thursday's w/Grey's and Scandal. But w/How To hooking me I'm screwed (NVM w/the whole only exec prod by Shonda and written by, lets say others...just go w/it, she did). I liked the premiere, and agree w/all the posters saying the time jump reboots the characters, mostly.

Of course it was a given that Harrison was dead at Daddy Pope's hands. Although my fam and I hav debated all summer the who, whats, and whens of that. Had Columbus Short already pissed the powers that be off enough (Shonda, let's not play coy), that the decision to kill the character off had been long made, before his real life drama became public knowledge, and we all knew he was a goner?!?. We are about 50/50 on that 1.

I was sad for OPA, not so much myself. By the end I didn't care either way. Although Abby n his place, or a 2fer, would have made me even happier. But I would have thought that Olivia would have been more upset at the initial finding out that her most loyal gladiator was dead. It seemed in the moment like a "god dammit he had to go and die so now I'm stuck having to go back to DC" reaction. The Aretha music choice for the funeral was good. I did keep waiting though for the Grey's George o' death laugh, but I guess that would have been too expected. Although her shows have copied one another repeatedely.

I have loved Jessica Tuck since OLTL Eterna storyline, and I was wrecked when Megan died, so it was nice to see her as the client of the week. The fact that the Press Sec wasn't in on it w/the Sen. was a nice surprise twist. Very Frank Underwood House of Cards of them.

I personally hated Cyrus' hipster haircut. Nothing about the character has ever said, or been stereotyped as gay. But that haircut alone would have set off my gaydar, or at the very least my asshole-dar. And Cyrus is cray cray, and evil, but not an asshole.

Well, I'm surprised in saying this, but I feel sorry for Mellie.  The woman was never the most emotionally stable of characters on this show, but her son's death has pushed her well into broken territory.

My mother, in her sublime fashion, wonders if the writers are going to pull a "Mary Todd" with Mellie and have a plotline where she might be committed.

Well please tell your mom she is welcome at my house anytime. I said either nutty farm, or rehab. Either way clears the way for Fitz to be all "woe is me" as he and Olivia creep back towards each other. I felt sorry for her too when she was layed out in her pj's over Jerry's grave. The mom in me had a moment trying to imagine it. Especially when she had one of her most honest moments on last seasons finale when she said "I was afraid to get close to him b/c I was never sure if he was Big Jerry's...but he was always mine". The guilt and regret must be overwhelming.

But other than that Mellie had me laughing my ass off the whole show. I thought Bellamy Young threwdown, and should get a supporting acting nom just for this 1 episode. And whoever wrote her dialogue as well. When she sauntered down the hall into the Oval, looking like Peg Bundy before her morning coffee, talking about her panties being only 2 dys old, I fell out. By the end when she was sitting on the dais (see, I didn't even know I knew that word till I typed it) talking w/Fitz and she slurred that line about it being 1976 down there I-WAS-THROUGH. I tweeted "Mellie has thrown the mic down. Goodnight!". I plan to go back later and just FF to her parts.

Run away Rosen, run. Please make Abbie go away, and take her now plastic looking hair and face w/her. Quinn seems like "It's Quinn bitch" again, but we'll see. Huck is the creepiest cust serv rep ever, but I prefer that to him bending Quinn over desks anytime. And Fitz...meh. Don't know what I think/feel yet. Not enough of him yet to tell.

But the look on Fitz' and Olivia's faces as they passed was hot as hell. They have amazing chemistry even if I'm not sure I want them back together.

• Love 4

I read the scene same as you. As a viewer I am not sure how soon I may want to see them be together on my screen. But I read the shit eating smuggy mcsmuggerson grins on there faces to be "we're back baby, and just lets be more careful about who knows we're back this time".

• Love 3

I was happy to Olivia back to actually being a fixer instead of all last season when it was Black Alias.  

I agree with everyone, Mellie was totally the star last night.  She was mesmerizing.  

I really think Scott Foley should recognize from Felicity until now....he just isn't gonna win the girl.  It's not in the cards for him.  

• Love 4

I really think Scott Foley should recognize from Felicity until now....he just isn't gonna win the girl.  It's not in the cards for him.  

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious what Jake is used for.

I'm glad to see Mellie just don't give a shit about the and Olivia/ Fitz drama anymore. Even though he tried weakly to convince her it was over between him and Olivia, Mellie knew better. I'm glad to see he is at least being decent to her. She's really in a dark place right now.

I was happy to Olivia back to actually being a fixer instead of all last season when it was Black Alias.  

When I heard them talking about that B6-13 crap I literally groan. That shit needs to end.

Huck is just useless. I probably could tolerate Quinn if they keep her away from Huck.

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 5

I gotta agree, this was Mellie's hour and I wasn't a fan -- until now! She had all the best lines (1976!) and just stole the whole show. And loved those kimonos! Just stunning. I should look so glam in sweatpants mode.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 6

Did anyone else feel like they were watching Ally McBeal when Portia showed up?   Totally similar character; just less hair.

ETA:  Bellamy Young looked a good 10 years younger this episode without the FLOTUS hair & makeup.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 4

I've never liked Mellie and haven't bought any of the retcons to make her a sympathetic character.

Mellie 1.0 didn't like children and used her own as photo ops and to create the illusion of a happy family.

Otherwise, she spent as little time with them as possible.

I'm not saying she is happy or indifferent to Jerry's death.  But I'm not buying the deep grief and depression.

Showing her feeling guilty for not being a better mother and mourning the lost opportunity to get to really know her son, I would believe.

Maybe now she will quit handing Teddy off to whoever is around once the cameras are away.

• Love 5

A nice start but I'm still tired of the fast talking.

Fitz/Liv - Don't care about them as a couple but at least they were both acting like competent, professional adults.

Mellie - You are now and ever shall be my favorite.

Cyrus - What was up with his hair?

Jake - Stop whining. You had to know the island couldn't last forever.

At first I was rolling my eyes at all the raunchy talk then it occurred to me that there's something subversive about the fact that all of it was focused on what does and doesn't pleasure the woman instead of the man getting his rocks off. Also, this show seemed way more politically meta than it ever has. In one episode we got shots at sexual assault, fair pay and waxing. And who could've imagined David Rosen would be nominated as AG on the same day Eric Holder quit?

• Love 5

Cyrus and the really bad rug made lol.  Do these people have a mirror?

ETA:  I know they aren't real people, but good grief.  That "hair" was really bad on someone's part.

Edited by toodles
  • Love 4

Cyrus and the really bad rug made lol.  Do these people have a mirror?

ETA:  I know they aren't real people, but good grief.  That "hair" was really bad on someone's part.

I kept wondering if it was a signal about how bad things are like Mellie's kimono and slippers. I wholeheartedly agree with whoever said that Mellie looked years younger.

Edited by marceline

Underwhelmed, but hoping that is just because it's the first episode of the season and they were tying up loose ends.  Also found it a little contrived.

Cyrus - needs to do something about his hair.

Could not figure out what was going on with Mellie for a moment, then I remembered the son being killed.  I think, if nothing else, she'll be interesting to watch this season.

Overall  - blah, and I hope it's not another season of "Olivia and Fitz  - will they or won't they" because I don't care.

• Love 1

Underwhelmed, but hoping that is just because it's the first episode of the season and they were tying up loose ends.  Also found it a little contrived.

Cyrus - needs to do something about his hair.

Could not figure out what was going on with Mellie for a moment, then I remembered the son being killed.  I think, if nothing else, she'll be interesting to watch this season.

Overall  - blah, and I hope it's not another season of "Olivia and Fitz  - will they or won't they" because I don't care.

I thought I was over them, but that last scene at the end pull me right back in. All I could say was damn you, Shonda. LOL.

• Love 1

Told myself I was out last season. In fact, I didn't even see the last four or so episodes. But did I watch last night? Of course I did. Because marketing hype works on me and I'm not proud, okay. But listen. Is it too late to start shipping Mellie and Jake? Maybe they could just become shit disturbing best friends? Or start a detective agency together? 

• Love 4

Olivia annoyed me more than anything this episode. She abandons her so called Gladiators, she even abandoned the man she claims to love after his son is murdered by her family that she wanted free and he did for her. She showed nobody support, just ran off to have sex with Jake (most waste of space on this show) then she'll walk in and ask Quinn, what happened to OPA? What does she think happened to OPA?

Harrison was missing, she had no idea. Harrison is dead and she only knows because Quinn cared to find her and let her know. Then she's going to attack Abby and act like Abby's the bad one? Then act all superior in planning this funeral when the man was missing, she took off without looking back.

I liked Fitz 2.0. I like Mellie's don't care attitude as well, wandering around the White House in Uggs. 

• Love 5

Poor poor Mellie.  She had me laughing at some parts, but the scene with her lying on Jerry's grave broke my heart.

I don't see much difference between Fitz 1.0 and Fitz 2.0.  Cyrus is right: we've all seen this movie a million times...and it still sucks.  But Fitz tried to kill himself?  Whoa.  But...is it wrong I'm disappointed he didn't?

• Love 3

Told myself I was out last season. In fact, I didn't even see the last four or so episodes. But did I watch last night? Of course I did. Because marketing hype works on me and I'm not proud, okay. But listen. Is it too late to start shipping Mellie and Jake? Maybe they could just become shit disturbing best friends? Or start a detective agency together? 

Even Mellie don't  deserve to be stuck with Jake. I get that Liv needs a sidepiece, but Jake is annoying. They have zero chemistry. I wonder how long she's going put up with him?

Edited by Sidney
  • Love 1

When did Fitz try to kill himself? I don't remember it, but then it's been a long time since the last season. Anyone know? How did he do it?

I think sometime after his son died. It was off screen.

I would be SHOCKED, SHOCKED I tell you if it's not.  I would also be impressed because I don't think Shonda knows how to NOT write a will they/won't they story.  That's her shows.  That's all her shows. (Although I haven't seen the Murder one so maybe she's growing?)  But I'm over it also.  Along with Cyrus and Mellie.  I did like that tired way he saying it to Fritz.  Because that's how I feel about it. Here we go again,  Different verse same as the first.

Bring back Fritz for Mellie.  I liked him. (But not enough to remember his character's name apparently.)

Edited by Dusty
  • Love 1

"It's 1976 down there."  Best line I've heard all week.

Absolutely!  It was one of the funniest and raunchiest lines that I've ever heard on a primetime network show.  I was surprised that it got by the network suits. Bellamy Young was brilliant last night. She was a melding of the old "I've got bigger cojones than you" Mellie and the new mother in grieving "I don;t give a flying f**k" Mellie.  Her conversation with Fitz about when he sees Olivia was a classic.  The more he denied it, the more she kept slamming it in his face.  Well played Mellie, well played.

• Love 6
I think, if nothing else, she'll be interesting to watch this season.

Yes, because when she's done with her mourning (at least openly), she'll probably come back roaring like a lion.

Wonder why they made Jessica Tuck (the senator) look so much older?

Does the First Family really hang out on that balcony like Fitz and Mellie did? You'd think the press (or at least rags like the National Enquirer) would have more long-focus shots of them in their casual moments (which would probably still be stage-managed by their WH handlers).

I don't mind Jake but he needs to do more than be Olivia's living sex toy. It would seem he's killed both of his careers so what's he going to do now that she's returned to work? Lobbying? Consulting?

Still loathe Fitz. I guess he arranged to be at the Capitol when Liv was there so he could see her? Geez, you heartsick fool, let it go. How much more loss of life and destruction does there need to be for the sake of your genitalia?

Edited by Oblique Angle
  • Love 4
When did Fitz try to kill himself? I don't remember it, but then it's been a long time since the last season. Anyone know? How did he do it?

Happened while Olivia was on the island I suppose.  I'm sure we'll get at least 1 flashback espisode to catch us up on what happened during this period. 

• Love 1

I read it a little differently. I felt Olivia smiled because she was proud of herself for not reaching out to Fitz, and Fitz smiled because he's glad Olivia is back. I thought they both had different smiles and that it was cleverly done.

Last season ended with me deciding I was done with the show. Decided I needed to tune in to see how they all meet up again and now I'm sucked back in. Grrr.

I'm going to miss Harrison. I liked him and felt he was something of a glue that held the group together. I wasn't crazy about his story line with the woman he was having the affair with, so I wouldn't have enjoyed that if it had continued, but I would still like him to be there. His loss isn't as terrible as the loss of Isiah Washington on Grey's (when I used to watch it), but I understand and completely agree with why both actors had to go. 

I recently listened to Aisha Tyler interview Scott Foley on her podcast and he was fascinating. I've had a small issue with the actor since he was married to Jennifer Garner (I always thought he was jealous of her success), but I could never deny how attractive I find him. I was sorry his character on Scandal hit Olivia Pope and wish that had never happened, otherwise I'd be rooting for him to be her main lover. Now, I'm just ignoring that unfortunate part of their past and hoping they find an interesting thing for Jake to do in DC.

Edited by slade3
  • Love 1

I've had a small issue with the actor since he was married to Jennifer Garner (I always thought he was jealous of her success), but I could never deny how attractive I find him.

I like Jennifer Garner A LOT, however I also think that she would not have the career she does today at all if it wasn't for being married to Scott Foley.  Scott was a major character on Felicity and as a result Jen got a minor role.  JJ Abrams has often said that he never would have auditioned Jen for the role of Sydney Bristow if Scott hadn't really encouraged him to and then she blew them away.  You can't get roles for auditions that you can't get, etc.  Additionally, while I love Jen...it didn't take long for there to be rumblings of a romance with Michael Vartan while she was still supposed to be happily married to Scott.  I am happy they both found happiness and moved on, but I also don't think that Scott did anything other than help her get an amazing career and then be left in the dust as Jen was off to the races.  

That was totally off subject.  I'm sorry.  I'm bad.  

• Love 3