Randy Couture and Karina Smirnoff: Cha Cha Cha
Song: “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” by the Rolling Stones

Sadie Robertson and Mark Ballas: Jazz
Song: “She’s Country” by Jason Aldean

Tavis Smiley and Sharna Burgess: Cha Cha Cha
Song: “Boogie Wonderland” by Earth Wind and Fire

Tommy Chong and Peta Murgatroyd: Salsa
Song: “Higher” by Gloria Estefan

I've never heard of more than half these songs and singers, to be honest.  I'm definitely getting old.  <lol>

• Love 1

I feel like I'm preaching to the choir with this, but WTF with the songs to these dance styles?  They seem all wrong - All About that Bass and Call Me Maybe for a foxtrot?  

And while I have no doubt his personality will carry it off, Gettin Jiggy Wit It for a samba seems like a terrible idea.

• Love 3

Peta must have been super high when she let him pick that song. It's a slow, ballad by Gloria Estefan that was used in one of the olympic games. Lea's song is perfect for a jive, Tavis' song will make for a good time, Alfonso's dance will be fun but won't quite work with the music, Johnathans song choice could go either way. The rest just don't make a lot of sense.Janel(if she wanted to stay current) should have picked Clean bandits "No place I'd rather be" that wouldn't go badly with a ballroom dance. I chalk it up to the fact that most of them are younger and so they may not know too much older music to make a good choice.

• Love 1

Peta must have been super high when she let him pick that song. It's a slow, ballad by Gloria Estefan that was used in one of the olympic games. 

That song was called "Reach". This song called "Higher" is uptempo and has a salsa-like beat. I've always hoped someone would use it for a freestyle. However, that "someone" was never Tommy Chong. LOL!

This is the problem when the stars get to pick a song. Apparently they just name something they like without knowing whether it'll go with a dance style or not.  Do we really have to hear "Call Me Maybe" again? Seriously? That's Janel's jam?  I thought we'd be done with that one forever.

• Love 1

You are correct Catgyrl. I must be the one that is high. As a Gloria fan I should have known that.  That should be fun to watch then. Yay!

It should be a riot!! I'm trying to think of all the "weed"-related songs he could dance to, in case he ends up hanging around for a while. There was a Hawaiian song made popular in 1978 (sung by Don Ho) called "Who is the Lolo Who Stole my Pakalolo?". ("Lolo" means crazy, and "Pakalolo" is marijuana). I think I would need to be resuscitated if they danced to that.

I just realized the coincidence between "Lolo" meaning crazy and... well, you know... ;-)

• Love 3

Peta must have been super high when she let him pick that song. It's a slow, ballad by Gloria Estefan that was used in one of the olympic games. Lea's song is perfect for a jive, Tavis' song will make for a good time, Alfonso's dance will be fun but won't quite work with the music, Johnathans song choice could go either way. The rest just don't make a lot of sense.Janel(if she wanted to stay current) should have picked Clean bandits "No place I'd rather be" that wouldn't go badly with a ballroom dance. I chalk it up to the fact that most of them are younger and so they may not know too much older music to make a good choice.

Actually, the Olympic song is called "Reach". She has a more up tempo song called "Higher".

PrincessSparkle - I had the exact same reaction to the foxtrot songs.  And while Alfonso may be able to pull it off, Jiggy doesn't strike me as a good samba song.  Too slow.  Why not hip hop?  It's a rap song - why not hip hop?  They've done it on the show before. 

Dancingjaneway - that is not the dance order.  ABC just listed the celebs alphabetically by first name.  :)

• Love 1

The judges have always been a little (okay, a lot) random but damn I am beyond baffled by these scores. I just tuned in and caught Lea's dance and I am really confused by those scores and all the gushing. Did I just miss something? And at this rate, they're going to have to pull out 10's by next week. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I say this every week, but Emma is one of my favorite pros. It might have just been silly but her putting the bikini on over her clothes had me laughing so hard! Michael is so annoying though. 

Also loved Karina's quip about the camera being on Randy's butt. She's a riot.

• Love 2

I thought both Janel and Lea were bit overscored.  I think it was more that they thought Lea would straight out suck at the jive and then were surprised when she didn't totally suck.  But they were still better than everything else I've seen tonight so far.

All the dances seem so short.  By the time you get into anything, it's over.

I also wonder how some of these people are going to deal when they get to two dances a week if they are having meltdowns on week 2.  This is nothing guys.

Edited by spanana

I mean she wasn't awful but honestly, I would have given her 7's and maybe an 8 or two. I don't remember seeing many flicks and kicks for what was supposed to be a jive and honestly, something about Lea's posture was driving me crazy. And I thought she was guilty of exactly what they accused Bethany of last season, that she was losing energy during the dance. Missed Janel's dance so can't comment on it. But yes she was definitely better than the mess both Michael and Tavis just did. Tavis was a smidgen better than Michael because at least there were Cha Cha steps.

eta: And other times they seem to get it just right. I thought Alfonso's score was fair because he definitely didn't have the bounce and the Samba walks down. Still a fun dance and I loved the ending. Witney's baby voice still bugs me but I'm really loving her choreography so far. 

Bethany was good but there are two things about her dances that's kind of bugging me. One, they seem shorter than everyone else's and two, I definitely see what Julianne and Bruno said last week about her working on the in between parts of the dance. Derek needs to work on her fully finishing her movements so they blend seamlessly into the next step/section. Surprised Len loved it so much and I think Derek was as well, as he usually hates Derek's "unconventional" stuff. The bass stuff was cool.

Edited by truthaboutluv

Erin seemed to be really digging for Alfonso to have an issue with the judges' scores and comments this week, which to me were fair and earned all things considered, he doesn't need his butt kissed at every turn or for them to act as if he can do no wrong on the dance floor.

I was glad to see him take the high road and actually realize and openly admit he needed to do a better job listening to his teacher/partner and to learn how to keep his personality in the dance but not let it overtake the actually ballroom technique necessary to make it look properly done. I did enjoy it though overall because he just seems so happy when he dances, it's infectious.

I am almost tempted to say I miss Brooke but no, I haven't lost my mind just yet but I do miss Sam, she's the only one I've felt that's done a half decent job at this gig.

• Love 2

Am I the only one confused about the fanfare over Bethany's foxtrot? It was disjointed and made no sense to me. Is this a side effect of being paired with the Golden Boy? Also noted that Sadie had a certain look about her following the dance. 

Lea, however, is a joy to watch. 

Editing because Allison just tanked my opinion of her after that post-dance interview. 

Edited by Stitsch
  • Love 4

I'm judging them all for their "favorite songs." Really, these are your favorites? Especially the young ones? OK, fine.

Missed Randy. 

Tavis: Decent.

Michael: Nope. He should go next. He is not trying.

Lea: Fine but the scores were way too high.

Janel: She's good but there's a disconnect for me. I think she needs to be a little softer.

Betsey: Fine. Definitely an improvement but nothing that impressive.

Alfonso: Not as good as last week but still obviously good.

Bethany: Meh. It was good but there was too much fooling around in the beginning. I have less patience for that with how short the dances are. I did like her better than Janel.

Antonio: Better than last week. Still don't think he's reached his potential. Or his potential is low.

Jonathan: Good, but like Janel I'm not sure he has the control he needs over his limbs. I like him though.

Sadie: Good but again down from last week.

Tommy: Good. Better than Betsey.

I can't say anything blew me away tonight.  Randy didn't live up to his first week potential.  Janel was pretty good and far less annoying, so I guess that's good.   I enjoyed Lea's spunk, but she lost the jive a few times.  Bethany lacks a bit of energy.  I enjoyed watching Betsey and Tommy, but obviously they are limited and aren't going to stick around to the end.

Alfonso was the best of the bunch, but dude is going to psych himself out at this rate.  As will Witney.  I don't know if it was enough samba, but at least it was entertaining.

I really don't know what to make of Sadie.  I agree with Len that the mix of jazz and country didn't really work.  And I was also with Carrie Anne that her dad makes such a big huge deal out of costumes, but then was okay with part of that routine?  There's some sort of weird disconnect there.  I watched an interview with her and Mark today where they were talking about how sensitive she is and how she will likely cry when the judges critique her, so I'm guessing she was close to tears at the end.

I don't even remember anything else.  All I can say is if people are having this many problems on week 2, I'm not sure what they are going to do on week 10.

Also meant to add Tommy really does have great comedic timing.   Dude is funny.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1
Yes, dear, I'm sure the show hired you to come on and freshen up the format with your creativity

There is no way they hired her to make the format stale. She responded exactly how Derek responds when his dances don't have enough content. 

Why did only one person have Jazz? That was so odd. There were 3 dances for everyone else to choose from, but a secret fourth dance for Sadie? Was there one like that last week?

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 4

What a bunch of stressed out people! Wow

Poor Jonathan, Allison's choreography sucks. Big time.

Not sure what it was this week, but my hots for Randy partially fizzled. Hmmmm

Timmy Chong continues to make me laugh, he can stay. Lol

• Love 2

I knew those over-inflated scores last week would come around to bite them, just didn't think it would be this soon.  And this is why, judges, you don't give out 9's as a welcome prize.  

I laughed when Betsy said Tony did her look and Erin said, "well he didn't actually apply the makeup". 

Don't like Allison and another thing coming back to bite the producers in the arse.  Should have learned with Tyne, leave contemporaries-only on SYTYCD.  I thought she had a fake niceness about her last week (don't really know her since I don't watch SYTYCD) and thinking I could be right.  I do wish they put Jonathan with someone else.  At least he doesn't look as surprised and bewildered as last week.  And he unknowingly threw Allison under the bus when he said, "well, neither of us really know what to do, so we thought, 'if it feels right, let's add it in'.  Slam.

And just in case no one answers, who was there for Chong? Was that Ringo Starr?

• Love 2
And I gotta say, the Quack Attack elbow dance was cute when she first did it, but if she keeps doing it every single time she gets on camera it's gonna get real old real fast.

And they paired her up with Mark...the King of Cheese. I expect a crazy costume to show up at some point. 

I enjoyed Lea's spunk, but she lost the jive a few times.

Great, so it wasn't just me. I am still confused by Lea's scores.

Bethany lacks a bit of energy.

She's not very strong and Derek knows it. I saw a clip of him doing some interview where he said that's been one of the biggest things that they've had to work on. You can look at Bethany and see she has very little muscle tone. At 18, my guess she probably eats whatever she wants and probably only does some light cardio/running every now and then but nothing like say someone who works out very hard or is a professional athlete. 

Didn't see Alison's reaction to the criticism of her and Jonathan's Cha-Cha but what I saw of the dance, lack of content aside, I think the biggest thing Alison has to be careful of is over-dancing. I definitely get the feeling that she's approaching this like she has something to prove, likely because she's aware of the reactions to her being made a Pro when she doesn't have a background as a professional ballroom dancer. However, while that's all well and good, what she's succeeding in doing is making Jonathan look bad because it just highlights his mistake and makes it seem like he can't keep up. 

Alfonso was the best of the bunch, but dude is going to psych himself out at this rate.  As will Witney.  I don't know if it was enough samba, but at least it was entertaining.

I was eye-rolling all the melodrama for a second in their package, especially Witney's going to the producer but then I remembered how young she is and I think she's putting a lot of pressure on herself because in her mind, she got an absolute ace in the hole this season and if they lose it'll be on her. And seriously, yeah these people just need to relax and realize it's just a dance show and it's really not that deep. They need to be like Tommy - just chill and have fun.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

I'm thinking Randy might be one of those dudes that can do ballroom really well but has trouble with Latin. He really stood out to me in the move they gave him in the opening dance, but not so much in his dance. 

On others: 

Alfonso is just so damn entertaining. I still think it's his to lose - he's got room to clean up the technical stuff. 

Sadie I think is going to end up top 3 based on cuteness, natural talent/performance ability, and fanbase. But I didn't love the dance tonight, and she needs to cool it with the duck elbows. Maybe once per show. 

Bethany's dance, I didn't lovelove, but it was fun, and I do like her. I think you could tell she was injured. 

Antonio still irrationally bothers me. He's like a big pile of nothing. 

And this isn't a "star" comment, but man, Allison comes off a little intense. Was she that intense on SYTYCD? I don't know if she's just trying to prove herself or what, but I think she might need to learn how to make it a more about the star. (It's a lesson I'd say Mark and Derek especially have learned pretty well in recent seasons, they've seemed to change their approach to the show for the better.)  

While I certainly love and am pulling for Alfonso, my dream is for Tommy to win the whole thing.

I find Bethany completely forgettable as both a person and a dancer,

Alison sounded completely obnoxious in her post-dance interview. I'm really hoping they don't invite her back because it's obvious she is out of her league, For the second week in a row, she completely out danced her partner. Someone needs to tell her that this isn't SYTYCD and it isn't about her.

I liked Leah, but I think she should be behind Alfonso.,

How long until Mark has Sadie dressed in a duck costume? You know he has one at the ready.

I also noticed that Val and Jenna took the touchy-feely act way down after last week's kiss debacle.

Edited by WhitneyWhit
  • Love 4

I think Leas scores are a reaction to her vote totals. The dances tonight were so off base. I mean really very few of the dances had actual steps from the dance they were assigned. Derek and Bethany's dance was crap, Alfonso didn't have enough samba and the list goes on. Lea may not have had a lot of kicks/flicks but she at least did a jive. I hate the rumba and Antonio once again just wasn't comfortable with the dance. This was a HORRIBLE idea for a theme week. 

Edited by Dancingjaneway
  • Love 1
Also noted that Sadie had a certain look about her following the dance.

I noticed her look change as soon as Carrie Ann said that stuff about Sadie's father maybe not approving of the dance.

• Love 1

All this "mucking about" needs to stop right now.  Dance with your partner, have the focus on the two of you and stop adding extra dancers to a routine.  I don't know the timings of these dances, but I think they run approx 1 minute or so.  Well when 10 + seconds is spent not dancing with your partner is that time added on to the dance with your partner time, or is it included in the timings?  If it's not added on then the scores should be reflected of that.  Maybe it's time for a deduction if you bring someone else onto the dance floor.

I'm no dance expert by any means but that last dance wasn't "jazz" in any sense of the word.

My son came into the room when Cheryl and Antonio were dancing.  His remark "she could make a pole look like it's dancing for the amount of movement she's getting out of that guy".  Of course we laughed.  I mentioned it's always a little weird to me that some of the people showing up on this show have some pretty graphic "sex/intimate" scenes in their acting times but can't seem to act that way to bring some "texture" to a dance.  I guess I figure if you can fake it on a non-reality show, you should have no problem faking it here.  They are used to having physical contact with people they aren't related to/dating so that part should be a breeze.  All they need to do is focus on the dancing. 

• Love 3

I noticed her look change as soon as Carrie Ann said that stuff about Sadie's father maybe not approving of the dance.

I think a lot of it is Sadie just doesn't take criticism well.  I happened to watch an interview today where she and Mark were talking about it and how sensitive she is, so I think she was mostly just on the verge of tears.  

Also somebody needs to tell Jenna (Jenna, not Janel) that she doesn't need to mug for the camera every time it's on her.  

Edited by spanana

And they paired her up with Mark...the King of Cheese. I expect a crazy costume to show up at some point. 

If they turn up in full on duck costumes, I'm 100% back on board with the Quack Pack. Danced to to the theme song from Duck Tales. 

Life is like a mirror ball,

here in, Dance World

race cars, fame whores, "celebrities,"

it's a, duck blur 

• Love 5

spanana, Who is Jenna?

Troupe dancer with Lindsay.  She was in almost every single one of the bumpers.  Rumor is she would have gotten a pro spot if Cheryl had sat out this season.

Edited by spanana

Betsy danced more than 50% of the guys who just served as backdrops while their pro partners twirled and shimmied around them. She out danced some of the women too.

Tommy put more steps and hip action into his routine than several of the other (younger) guys.

Go, Geezers!

• Love 15

Jenna cracks me up. I follow her on Instagram and she has a habit of liking her own pictures. She posted pictures of her and Meryl at Mark's party and her ,Meryl and Maks at the beach over the weekend and liked them every time someone reposted them. All together, she liked each of her own pictures about 12 times

Why are the scores so weird tonight?

At least Lea did a jive, even if it was kinda sloppy looking.

Bethany bores me. She meshes together with Janel and Sadie, except that she's got Derek's creativity to bolster her chances. Except there was very little foxtrot and the playing around the with the bass made me WTF at the TV.

Alfonso is just ridiculously entertaining. I don't even care that his dance was samba-lite (though I feel like I should). At least it felt like a cohesive dance, which is more than I can say for a lot of the others.

Betsy is also entertaining. Not the greatest dancer, but I feel like she's got the drive to learn and the right combination of sass and sweetness to pull it off without being the token old lady.

I don't really like Janel as a dancer, and I don't think I really like her as a personality. She just bugs me. But I did like Val's choreo, even if I thought "Call Me Maybe" was a stupid song for a foxtrot.

Michael is just painful. Sorry, dude. (And even sorrier, Emma. He's no Bill Engvall.)

Unless you're Evan Lysacek, a rumba is going to be hard pressed to catch my attention for a male. A lot of the time the man just looks like a weird poser. I feel like Antonio was no different. He had the smolder, but the shapes and the movement was off.

Dear Peta, what were you wearing? Anyway, I enjoy Tommy much more than I thought I would. Dude has a fabulous personality. That's half the battle in this competition. (Was after their dance the first time we've seen Tom's teleprompter?)

Allison pulled off the jive last week, but this week was ... not a cha cha. It's a shame, Jonathan could do so much better if he had a better choreographer. (Tavis thought the same thing after he saw that dance, IMO. His look of confusion mirrored my own.) But "neither of us knew what we were doing" isn't a good excuse. You're there to figure out what to do. Did Peta know Bollywood? Derek admitted to not knowing one of the styles they threw at him once - flamenco, maybe? And Tony's said some of the weirder dances have thrown him. (What exactly is a caveman hustle?) But they put in the work, they did some research, the called in some help. And Allison can't be bothered to research a cha cha? Sorry dear, if you can't do that, you don't belong on this show. And "fresh new take" can be done without actually abandoning the dance. Derek and Val are pretty good examples of that.

I think "jazz" is a pretty broad category on DWTS, but when I think of it I know that I just want to be entertained. Bog, bold, and something that wouldn't be amiss on Broadway. Sadie's dance was not. I'm not a country person, but I loved every incarnation of "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" that's been done on the show. Mark missed the mark (haha ... pun?) and honestly, I thought they were overscored. Also, Dad doesn't like the costumes by doesn't have a problem with his baby going out in short-shorts and hip thrusting? Carrie Ann was right - for someone who seems to keep his baby on a pretty tight leash, that dance was okay? I don't get it.

Nice to see you again, Keo. I'm sorry you didn't last so long. I hope you come back.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 5

I thought I'd never forgive the director for missing the shot of Carrie Anne falling out of her chair (again!) but then we got the fabulous reaction shot of CA when Allison was running her mouth and all was forgiven. For someone who has spent nearly 10 years on reality TV, you'd think Allison would have more sense than to make those sorts of comments. Because, being honest, the judges were right. There was very little Cha Cha in that dance and Jonathan, who is so energetic and spongelike, should be served better. If Allison had really been studying ballroom for years she should have a decent Cha Cha. My understanding is that its more of a beginner dance and if Jonathan sticks around, she'd going to face much bigger challenges than a Cha Cha.

I really enjoyed Lea, Alfonso, Janel and Sadie though I thought all of them were weaker with less practice time. Bethany's ankle looks awful and I'm worried for her longevity if she's so injured week two.

Tommy and Betsey aren't the best dancers, but they entertain me and for their age they are bringing it. Betsey getting a moment of triumph after last week's disaster warmed my heart. Tommy was plain fun.

Everyone else was blah to messy. Michael, Tavis or Antonio going home would be ideal. I never understand why stars agree to be on the show if they know they don't have the time for it.

• Love 2

I like Lea alot, but I really didn't think she deserved those 9s. I can only assume that she needs some extra help in the votes department and that was the reason for her score. Her posture looked off to me and her kicks weren't sharp enough. But I guess that didn't matter to the judges. The dance was really fun at least, and she had a blast dancing it.

From all the drama in their intro package, I thought Alfonso and Witney were going to stink up the joint. But they ended up doing really good. I think Witney's putting a lot of pressure on herself because she has someone with potential to win it, and she doesn't want to blow it. I get it. But I wish they would both just relax and have fun.

Allison probably feels insecure being on this show, but she really didn't help herself at all tonight. Her lack of ballroom experience really showed tonight with that Cha Cha - or lack thereof, and she came off too serious and a bit obnoxious in her interview with Erin. Girl needs to chill.

• Love 1