Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E04: Week 2: My Jam Monday

• Start Topic

There is a lot of creativity that goes into Youtube videos such as Beth's. Editing and at least jot list Writing and getting the lighting right are a huge part of that process especially as her show aged with her. She isn't someone who got "famous" because her family has a reality tv show. She put a lot of hard work and years into creating a career for herself. 

• Love 3

I've seen Emma in some pretty skimp-a-rino outfits, so IDK where she was going with all that speech. I still feel like Engvall is writing Michael's commentary for him and the problem is that Waldrip just cannot pull off the funny, imo. It's going flat.

I'm wondering if it's Michael who is making Emma uncomfortable with skimpy outfits and she just generalized the statement so as to avoid throwing her partner under the bus.

• Love 10

Derek-got a gal I'm guessing isn't used to heels, with a bad ankle...ok so let's have her balance on a bass! Huh?

I know! I thought, what are you doing letting her get up on that thing with an already injured ankle? What if she falls and makes the injury worse?

Part of me wonders if perhaps he was using it as a "dazzle" moment to distract the voting audience just in case the rest of her dance got messed up because of her injury. They'd focus more on "Wasn't it cool how she balanced on that bass??" and less on "Yeah, but her steps fell apart because you could tell she was in pain."

It did look very cool to me that she was able to do that move, but thankfully she also managed to make it through her song without major errors because of the injury. I thought she was a trooper, and the song was fun.

• Love 2

Regarding the lack of samba groove in Alfonso & Witney's dance, I think Witney did not do the bounce because Alfonso was not doing it. It seemed that was part of the stress during practice. He just couldn't get the samba feel. To keep it from looking more obvious that he wasn't capturing the samba moves, she got creative with the choreography and "dumbed down" her dancing to match his rather than look like she was outdancing him. Poor Tony has to do that almost every season, but it's part of the reason why they are two of my favorites.

I must say, a frothy show like this rarely gets to me. But Betsey and Tony really got to me. She really is endearing. She may be kooky and flakey but she's also a sweetheart and I'm glad they're showcasing this side of her personality. Kudos to Tony.

I totally agree on Witney changing her dance style to meet Alfonso so as they would look like a unit as opposed to a pro ballroom dancer and a hapless celeb.  Not that Alfonso is hapless.  Witney has really grown on me.  I think she's handling Alfonso really well.  Yes, the stress is there and she's feeling the pressure.  But she's also very much in command in the rehearsal room and it shows.  Even the bit with the producer didn't bother me because I bet those gripe sessions always happen.  It's just in the past the show hasn't shown it to us.  Also while Witney is young, keep in mind that Julianne and Cheryl were too when they started and they both came in and started snatching up mirrorballs.

I'm really hoping Betsey got the votes to at least stick around for one more week.  At least she's entertaining, which is more than I can say for Michael and Tavis. 

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

Here are the scores from last night, adjusted into their "percentage of total points awarded" values:

Lea: .09668

Janel: .09392

Bethany: .09116

Alfonso: .09940

Antonio: .08564

Sadie: .08564

Jonathan: .08287

Betsey: .07735

Tommy: .07735

Tavis: .07735

Randy: .07735

Michael: .06630

Once again, the difference between first and last in adjusted-scores was only .03038 while the difference in raw scores was 11 points.

I think Jonathan could be a "surprise elimination" tonight.  He's only .01657 ahead of Michael, and I think Betsey and Tommy will get "feel good for the oldies" votes, and Randy, Tavis and Michael have pros with fan bases.

I think Jonathan could be a "surprise elimination" tonight.  He's only .01657 ahead of Michael, and I think Betsey and Tommy will get "feel good for the oldies" votes, and Randy, Tavis and Michael have pros with fan bases.

I think they will have him in jeopardy, but I don't think Jonathan will leave.  It's not like Allison doesn't have a fanbase.  She's new to DWTS, but she certainly has a fanbase from SYTYCD.  Not to mention her husband's fanbase.

• Love 2
I think Jonathan could be a "surprise elimination" tonight.  He's only .01657 ahead of Michael, and I think Betsey and Tommy will get "feel good for the oldies" votes, and Randy, Tavis and Michael have pros with fan bases

You may be right, but Alison does have a fan base. She doesn't have a DWTS season to show for it, but she does have some serious fans. SYTYCD and DWTS has a ton of overlap, so if Jonathan/Alison go home tonight, it wasn't because she was some unknown.

Edit: spanana got there first!

Edited by BoogieBurns

Was is just me or did anyone else think Len flubbed his score for Bethany last night. I think he was going to give her an 8 and then gave her a 9 by accident. It sounded like he was about to say 8 and then pulled out the 9 paddle.

Doesn't matter if he pulled out the wrong paddle. It's the score he put on the scoring sheet and turned in before the judges start talking that matters.

Julianne continues to offer nothing to the judging panel. Watching her try to be cute and creative with her comments is hard to watch. I have to mute her when she's on. Her and Carrie Ann can leave anytime. I really hope that when Len leaves it won't be Julianne taking his place. She has nowhere near the experience and charm that Len has. I could see Travis going home tonight. His dance was in the middle of the show, he didn't do that well and he wasn't super happy about the situation. That combined with a lot of people not remembering he is on the show could knock him out. I don't think Betsy or Tommy will go home tonight. Tommy probably has a few more weeks left and betsy probably has another week or two becasue people love fun personalities.

Joining y'all in the Geezer Fan Club.  Tommy's funny and does his basic steps with style and rhythm. Betsey is sweet and has a few moves, too.  Tony is a very good partner to her.

During the first intro part of Betsey's dance, Sasha was there to help her down the stairs, and he did his small part with great care and concern for Betsey.  Wish they would find a tiny woman celeb each season to pair with Sasha as a pro, I'd like to see him back with a star.

I am not seeing Bethany's charm and cannot fathom why millions of people are tuning into her videos about hairdos (though its a harmless activity, so I have nothing against her or her viewers, of course). With the addition of her injury, I would be fine with her leaving soon.  Not that I expect it to happen or anything.  I'm a big Derek fan, but this partnership is leaving me cold so far.  Maybe cold is not the right word -- perhaps lukewarm would be more accurate.  I'm more partial to Artem/Lea and Alfonso/Witney this season.

I adored Lea's Jive and thought she looked amazing - the dance had quite a lot of jive content; I appreciated her enthusiasm and she just is radiant when she dances.

While I get Alfonso's dance wasn't a Samba it was great fun - he has amazing musicality and I think Whitney has really improved as a choreographer.

I really liked Derek and Bethany's dance - it was fun.  While she and Janel pretty interchangeable (to me) at this point - I'd take Bethany over Janal simply because Bethany doesn't seem desperate.

Sadie reminds me of my nieces - a fun, dorky, adorable girl who is just enjoying the moment - it is a delight to watch.

Also delightful, Bestey and Tommy.  While not the best dancers, they clearly are enjoying the experience, radiate such joy that I take immense pleasure in watching them.

Randy was okay this week and I total forgot about Antonio.  Janel was good technically - she needs to not try so hard.

I couldn't judge Jonathan because I was so busy watching how bad Allison's choreography was - Jonathan has moves and when Allison gave him Cha  Cha Cha steps to do, he did them well .... she needs to give him more content and stop over-dancing (hopefully she'll improve as the weeks go on).

Tavis' number should have been fun - it wasn't.

Michael is just plain painful to watch and the sooner is gone the better.

• Love 2

I saw half an hour of this last night because I was flipping channels.

I am OVER Sadie and every other child of a RW celebrity who thinks they're going to use DWTS as a "witness" to the unchurched. I'm sure she's a nice young woman, but I am so, so, SO tired of the manufactured drama of "Will Daddy approve this costume?". If she's not old enough to appear on her own or to allow the production staff to decide what she's wearing each week, she shouldn't be on in the first place. I also don't need to see her parents ringside each week, either: This is a cheesy dancing show, not another chance for the Robertson family to cram their religious beliefs down the throats of viewers yet again.

• Love 8

I am OVER Sadie and every other child of a RW celebrity who thinks they're going to use DWTS as a "witness" to the unchurched. I'm sure she's a nice young woman, but I am so, so, SO tired of the manufactured drama of "Will Daddy approve this costume?". If she's not old enough to appear on her own or to allow the production staff to decide what she's wearing each week, she shouldn't be on in the first place. I also don't need to see her parents ringside each week, either: This is a cheesy dancing show, not another chance for the Robertson family to cram their religious beliefs down the throats of viewers yet again.

I'm not sick of her.........yet. I reserve the right to change my mind if they keep this going for the next few weeks though.

I find Allison Holker to be a breath of fresh air. It's not like this is a traditional ball room show, if that was that case there is no way in hell Carrie Ann would be a judge and all the pros would get called out for their choreography.

I only wish  Allison was partnered with someone less stiff like Alfonso.

I think Val's partner should be put in jeopardy for willingly  choosing call me maybe as her jam!

If there can only be one choreographer for the entire season of opening numbers, I wish that one choreographer was Louis Van Amstel.  He is a superb ballroom pro and choreographer and has done some excellent pro group numbers.  

I've seen enough of Mandy Moore's ballroom-lite numbers.

• Love 11

If there can only be one choreographer for the entire season of opening numbers, I wish that one choreographer was Louis Van Amstel.  He is a superb ballroom pro and choreographer and has done some excellent pro group numbers.  

I'm on board! I don't like Mandy's opening numbers so far this season or last season. Louis would do a great job.

• Love 1

Did Antonio move more than 2 feet from his starting spot? All he did was turn a little and stick out an arm. The whole thing could've been done on a bath at for all he moved around the floor.

^I will disagree about Julianne. I don't know why there's a fourth judge - why they don't just kick Carrie Ann out and give the spot to Julianne. It's not that Julianne is so stellar, but IMO she's not nearly as useless as Carrie Ann. Carrie Ann from time to time, in the long distant past, would occasionally have a point, but those days are long gone. I am not a big fan of Julianne's dancing, and her personality kind of worked my nerves during her days as a pro, but, at least for me, she's surprisingly easy to take on DWTs as a judge. I'm comparing her to Carrie Ann only, not the other two. Everybody on the judging panel has had to dumb it way down as the show has gone on, and I think of them all as the creatures of the season's storyline. But Carrie Ann is so damn cheesy, full of it, and hypocritical, and her delivery is fake. Julianne at least spits it out and moves on.

• Love 1

I didn't see any of that last night. She isn't shoving her beliefs down anyone's throat and her parents weren't even there.

• Love 3

This.

Did Antonio move more than 2 feet from his starting spot? All he did was turn a little and stick out an arm. The whole thing could've been done on a bath at for all he moved around the floor.

That was exactly what Cheryl did with William, S14. 2 steps left, 2 steps right.

Her dad clearly skyped and nixed three costumes in a row.  It was obscene.

It was a joke, hearkening back to  Duck Dynasty episode where Willie disapproved of Sadie's prom dress and took her shopping for one only to end up with the one she'd chosen in the first place.  Plus, given what Sadie was showing him, there was no way she was ever going to wear any of those outfits.  Either she was pranking him, or they were both in on the joke.

• Love 1

I think they should let the viewers who don't watch Duck Dynasty in on the joke, because it just did not come across as funny in any way to me.

I don't watch Duck Dynasty, but I thought it was pretty obvious that the whole segment was a joke, especially with Willie finally approving of Sadie's robe at the end. LOL

• Love 3

I only wish  Allison was partnered with someone less stiff like Alfonso.

Here's the thing: Jonathan isn't stiff; he has great musicality and appears to pick-up choreography rather quickly.  When given actual ballroom steps, he performed them well.  Allison needs to take the focus off of herself and place it on her partner and have him perform actual ballroom steps. 

Woodrose ITA about Louis. He choreographed an amazing samba to "Morning Drums" this past season on SYTYCD. I wish they would use him more on DWTS as a choreographer.

Or Dimtry Chaplin - if I remembering correctly he's created some wonderful group ballroom routines.

I think Val is copying Maks's Glitter Ball moves: holding his partner's face while looking intently into her eyes, e.g. That and the reported (faux-)romance.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/974443-janel-parrish-and-val-chmerkovskiy-dating-rumors-about-parrish-cheating-on-payson-lewis/

I saw that - and my reaction was much the same when Maks pulled that crap ....I rolled my eyes so hard they nearly came out the back of my head.  BARF!

^I will disagree about Julianne. I don't know why there's a fourth judge - why they don't just kick Carrie Ann out and give the spot to Julianne. It's not that Julianne is so stellar, but IMO she's not nearly as useless as Carrie Ann. Carrie Ann from time to time, in the long distant past, would occasionally have a point, but those days are long gone. I am not a big fan of Julianne's dancing, and her personality kind of worked my nerves during her days as a pro, but, at least for me, she's surprisingly easy to take on DWTs as a judge. I'm comparing her to Carrie Ann only, not the other two. Everybody on the judging panel has had to dumb it way down as the show has gone on, and I think of them all as the creatures of the season's storyline. But Carrie Ann is so damn cheesy, full of it, and hypocritical, and her delivery is fake. Julianne at least spits it out and moves on.

The judge I would eliminate is Bruno .... although Carrie Anne has become a caricature of herself I do think that she occasionally makes sold comments that will help the contestants improve.  I find Bruno's skeeviness off-putting and offensive. 

• Love 1

Her dad clearly skyped and nixed three costumes in a row.  It was obscene.

The costumes or dad's reaction?

Sadie's dad isn't the first parent to have final say over his daughter's costume and he won't be the last.  The fault lies with the powers-that-be that decided to make an issue of it when (in my mind) there really isn't one.  Perhaps this is the "story line" for Sadie because she is a very positive, upbeat young lady who has a ton of dance ability and "will daddy approve" is the only drama that the show can manufacture.

Also, I'm pretty sure the "rejected" costumes were a joke ...... much like Mark telling Candice she was going to be dancing in a bathing suit while he was shirtless.

Edited by OakGoblinFly

That was such a bizarre statement from Emma, cuz on the scale of skimpy and sexy outfits, she's right up there. Always.

My gut feeling was that it's being skimpy around Michael that she wasn't comfortable with.  He's certainly pinging my creep-dar via TV, so I can only imagine what it's like in person, one on one.  Michael is that one dad at the high school who makes all the teenage girls and teachers feel really uncomfortable, and he thinks they all adore him. 

Oh, Allison...I love you, girl, and I honestly don't think that she was trying to be bitchy but was sooooo crushed and upset to have failed so hugely and publicly -- which of course is the risk that everyone takes on this show. She needs to put it behind her and make sure she's choreographing straight ballroom stuff...funny enough, but I'm finding Witney to be a pretty dang good choreographer.

I virtually guarantee that Allison and Jonathan will be in the bottom tonight -- manufactured or real -- because TPTB of this show have a tendency to "remind" a pro that they don't like backtalk (or at least that's my memory of previous bottom showings -- someone correct me if I'm wrong!). But ultimately it should (?) come down to Betsey or Michael, right? Right? Whoever said that he's no Bill Engvall is right on. Dude is actually actively creepy -- his song choice? Barf.

To give her the benefit of the doubt, I kind of wonder if when they initially approached her to do the show, she maybe even expressed the whole "I'm not a ballroom dancer" issue, and they assured her "oh, no, we want someone to come in and shake things up and bring a fresh perspective," so she felt kind of shocked to be dinged for exactly what she thought she was there to do.  I did enjoy the hell out of Carrie Ann's side eye reaction shot, though. 

Julianne's hair was so, so WTF.  Did she let two toddlers style her hair with a hand mixer?  

It seemed like they were busting out some old story lines all at once - the front runner stresses and gets critiqued by the judges, Derek's partner has an injury, Allison had her "Maks moment", etc. 

• Love 1

Oh, Dear God in Heaven help me - I HATE Julianne's hair. Is that an ombre? or IDK what the hell. And I say that as an, in general, Julianne fan.

IMO, 'ombre' is just French for 'grow out.'  I kind of liked her dress.  She appealed to me more as a dancer than judge though.

Please go home, Michael.

Re the 'fetch' comment; very apropos for THIS season !  ;)

Edited by marinite

I don't watch Duck Dynasty, but I thought it was pretty obvious that the whole segment was a joke, especially with Willie finally approving of Sadie's robe at the end. LOL

I hope acting isn't on Sadie's 'want to do' list along with DWTS, because that whole scene was so obviously fake. I can understand being disappointed in low scores, but Sadie just came across as an entitled brat who thought everyone would love anything she did.

Of the three young women, Janel's dance stood out the most to me. She had plenty of content and did well, plus she and Val looked lovely dancing together. As usual, Derek had his partner waste time laying and standing on a prop without a lot of dancing. Pffft

Tavis is on a book tour? Don't sign up if you don't have time, and what does that involve, traveling, talking and signing? Many past contestants have done much more arduous tours during their runs on DWTS, including singing and figure skating every night, in addition to the traveling.

I've been a fan of Cheech and Chong way back to Up in Smoke, but I've been side-eyeing Tommy since I read that he was bunkmates in prison with Jordan Belfort, and he was the one who encouraged Jordan to write Wolf of Wall Street. Anyhow, he moved alright in his dance, but he didn't really do much. It was mostly the two in the back with the fans and Peta's 'here's my vagina' move.

I thought Betsey looked lovely. I hope she stays longer than Michael Waltrip at least.

I thought Julianne looked gorgeous this week -- much softer and more normal than last week's weirdly shellacked, plastique Hollywood-Matron appearance. I'm not a huge fan of ombre, but I think it's cute on her as one of those hairstyles that she'll probably move on from in a week or so anyway.

I don't like Derek but I give him a lot of credit this week. First, he immediately recognized that Bethany smiles whenever she is in pain during rehearsal. Secondly, I liked that he combined the foxtrot with the Fosse-esque choreography. I also liked how smoothly he transitioned getting that bass off the stage.

I like Derek a lot (he's easily my favorite choreographer of the show), and I liked the perceptiveness of his rehearsal interview, as well. I think he's shown himself to be a good balance as a pro who pushes his celebrity to exceed their own expectations, while also displaying the ability to pay attention to their insecurities or fears, as well. I would have been irritated with the bass this week, except that Bethany evidently wholeheartedly embraced it and hopped right on, so he didn't express his reservations to her until afterward. As it was, I liked it from a performance angle and thought it was a genuinely beautiful and unusual move. I'll remember it.

As for the whole thing about Bethany, unpopular opinion perhaps but honestly, I say so what about how or why she's famous and if some deem that not enough to qualify her for being on the show. To each his own but is Bethany being famous because she gained a lot of tween/teen fans yes by making videos in her room really that worse than Sadie Robertson who is simply known because her family did some reality show? Or Rob Kardashian who competed some seasons ago and whose fame we can all say is largely tied to his sister's sex tape their mother expertly managed to turn into a million dollar success for them all? Or Bristol Palin whose sole claim to fame was being the daughter of Sarah Palin and getting knocked up at 17 and unmarried. Frankly in my opinion, pretty much all the reality stars can be considered questionable in their fame. Snooki...yeah what talent exactly did she have other than being a drunk hot mess on a hot mess of a reality show. 

Yes if you're not of the social media generation her "talent" may seem silly or questionable but I personally do think it's pretty impressive for a girl barely out of high school to build a brand for herself that gets her on billboards in Times Square. But more importantly, Bethany is one of twelve people in this competition. If some don't care for her, think she shouldn't be there then vote for others. So far Bethany has given no attitude, shown no diva tendencies, no whigning about her scores, etc. As Len often says, she just gets on with it. 

Well said. I love what Bethany has accomplished, and think she's a bona fide sensation who certainly fits the "superstar entrepreneur" they've brought on in the past, from Mark Cuban to Steve Wozniak. She's not riding anyone else's coattails like those you mention, and is a self-made millionaire many times over now. I definitely salute what she's accomplished and am also interested to see how well she does on the show from a voting/social standpoint. I think she'll be formidable.

Julianne continues to offer nothing to the judging panel. Watching her try to be cute and creative with her comments is hard to watch. I have to mute her when she's on. Her and Carrie Ann can leave anytime.

After just two judging panels thus far, I like Julianne a lot. She isn't camera-hogging like Bruno and she's more analytical than CAI. I like that she almost always starts with the emotional response but then gets technical. She's consistently able to offer specifics on things celebs need to watch for or tweak, as well, and I think so far she's doing it in a way that comes off as being tough and informed (which she definitely is), but also as genuinely nice and supportive.

I am OVER Sadie and every other child of a RW celebrity who thinks they're going to use DWTS as a "witness" to the unchurched. I'm sure she's a nice young woman, but I am so, so, SO tired of the manufactured drama of "Will Daddy approve this costume?"

Her dad clearly skyped and nixed three costumes in a row.  It was obscene.

My problem with that sequence was that it was completely hypocritical. It wasn't that the Duck guy genuinely doesn't want his daughter wearing revealing stuff on TV -- because, there she was, wearing tiny, skimpy costumes on TV in order to give him a completely false "I'm such a tough, caring Dad" moment. Obviously, he doesn't actually care what she wears on TV. So instead of actual rehearsal footage, we got a completely manufactured, acted scene that actually told us nothing about her or her ability or experiences.

And, FWIW, I don't judge Sadie or any contestant for what they choose to wear or not wear on the show. But I hate that they're having their cake and eating it too -- pretending that the girl is straitlaced and her father's strict (to blatantly court a specific viewership) when if they'd actually been so, the sequence wouldn't even have appeared.

• Love 1

I hope acting isn't on Sadie's 'want to do' list along with DWTS, because that whole scene was so obviously fake. I hope acting isn't on Sadie's 'want to do' list along with DWTS, because that whole scene was so obviously fake.

It's funny while I was watching I was actually thinking how surprisingly competent her acting has been like in the A-Z of DWTS and the intro to the second dance. That skit was unconvincing and lame in its concept and writing, not the performers' deliveries, I think.

I've never seen her show, but since she's still a non-performing teenager (i.e., she's famous for being herself and not required to mask her emotions), I'm not surprised she's behaving like one instead of the celebs with media training and constructed images to uphold.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

Sadie's performance outfit was not skimpy IMO.  And she looked adorable in it.  It fit the performance for that song very well.  I thought the segment with her Dad was quite funny.

And if someone else is assisting Julianne with her hair and wardrobe, she needs to fire them.  If she is responsible for it, then she needs to buy a mirror.

I had no issues with Sadie's outfit. Her performance was cute and sassy just like week 1. I do wonder how creative Mark can be in showing other sides to her (minus sexy of course). I think Mark is good at happy/cheesy and he's less dark and edgy and  more weird/unique that's either hit or miss. I still remember his Harry Potter V. Waltz with Chelsea Kane. He loves the theatrics...I think that's just him. Sadie might struggle with the dance styles that don't portray cute/adorable/sass. I think it's tough when you have someone who is 17. Mark is going to have to get creative in the choreo (much like Val did with Zendaya) in showing Sadie as more than 1 dimensional.

Thoughts on Julianne as a judge:

Week 1 - too much oogling the guys...she sounded like CAI 2.0.

Week 2 - much better...she was more focused on actual critiques.

Overall I'm going to see how the rest of the season plays out (we don't have a choice ha!). Like Erin Andrews she'll have to ease into it. Questionable hair & wardrobe choices aside (and they are HIGHLY questionable IMO) she seem okay so far. 

Thoughts on Maddie & Allison performance. It would have been a much better fit for SYTYCD.  For what this show is about (and has been about) it just seemed out of place for DWTS. I didn't enjoy it. I can appreciate Allison & Maddie's skill and technique in the dance but the overall feeling watching it was just...sad...depressing...creepy and weird. I like angst but that was a bit much for me. It just felt jarring.

Speaking of Allison....I really wonder what Jonathan is going to look like when he's paired up with someone else for the switch up. Allison is going to look bad if he cranks out a routine with a lot of content and technique.  Ohhh the drama of the switch -up!