Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, mishy said:

Yesterday, I got the Cheez Balls and Cheez Curls in my local Woodman's. They were just sitting there on two pallets as I rounded a corner and there was a ton of them. I got them for $1.99 each. I haven't opened either so I don't know if they are any good or if my memory is better but if you live in Wisconsin or Northern Illinois (I'm pretty sure Woodman's is only in WI and IL) then give them a shot. 

Oh, please let us know how they are! I might brave my local Walmart if I'm feeling brave tomorrow. 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:26 AM, MargeGunderson said:

Speaking of Jello and discontinued foods, I saw Jello Pudding Pop kits at my local Wegmans this weekend. I was really tempted to buy one and try it out. 

You made the right choice not to. It's just regular pudding with a very cheap little Popsicle  holder.  

• Love 1
On 7/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, please let us know how they are! I might brave my local Walmart if I'm feeling brave tomorrow. 

Okay I've tried them both. They both taste exactly as I remember. The balls are so orange it's shocking. I don't remember them being this glowingly fluorescent but they certainly are. They get stuck in your teeth and your tongue will be working fragments out until you get to a toothbrush but they taste the same to me. The curls look exactly as they always have: like Cheetos. They are lighter than Cheetos when you're eating them and they don't seem to get stuck in my teeth like the balls. I prefer the balls for some reason (could be nostalgia talking). For $2 it was worth it and I can say I've had them. I wasn't missing them and wishing they'd come back but now that I've had them again I would buy the balls one more time before they disappear if I'm in that store.

• Love 1

Will it actually ship? Who the heck knows at this point. But I just recently, as of about 5 minutes ago, got an e-mail from Amazon with a new ship date for August 14th for the Cheez Balls.

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 7:05 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Will it actually ship? Who the heck knows at this point. But I just recently, as of about 5 minutes ago, got an e-mail from Amazon with a new ship date for August 14th for the Cheez Balls.

Just got an update to the update, and the date is now for the 6th. We'll see!

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, Amazon has shipped the Cheez Balls. Hope anyone and everyone that also pre-ordered has the same luck. (They will be here by Saturday!)

I hope they are worth the wait!! 

I grabbed a box of Wheat Thin today and realized that I really miss Nutty Wheat Thins. They were great with cheese.

I also miss coffee yogurt. I can't drink coffee, but I can eat coffee ice cream and yogurt. Unfortunately, in the last 6 months, coffee yogurt has totally disappeared from my local stores. 

On 8/9/2018 at 12:53 AM, Nysha said:

I grabbed a box of Wheat Thin today and realized that I really miss Nutty Wheat Thins. They were great with cheese.

I also miss coffee yogurt. I can't drink coffee, but I can eat coffee ice cream and yogurt. Unfortunately, in the last 6 months, coffee yogurt has totally disappeared from my local stores. 

Chobiani just released a coffee yogurt. Maybe it will make it your way soon!

• Love 1

I always forget about the food section forums and then I have to catch up on a year's worth of posts. Apparently I missed a whole Cheez Balls thing. Oh well I always ate the cheap ones in the big plastic jar anyway. Cheaper.

I miss Hamburger Helper Beef Stew. That was my favorite meal in the 80s. I have one box on my shelf that expired in 1997 and I'm saving that bad boy for the zombie apocalypse. (You know it will still be fine). I won't be sharing any with anyone else either.

• Love 6
On 6/29/2017 at 7:36 PM, festivus said:

The talk of Carnation malted milk a few pages back reminded me of Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars.  Man, did I love those things and nothing that is made now tastes like them. With the popularity of breakfast bars and energy bars, I don't see why these haven't made a comeback. I loved the chocolate chip ones the most. 

*I just googled it and found a facebook page about bringing them back. 

I couldn’t help but respond to your post.  About a million years ago I worked where they were manufactured.  It was a really good job actually, we had a lot of fun, but the employees personal favorite was the “ honey & Oats”  because it smelled the best while you were working with it. If I had to run to the store after work, people in line would tell me all the time that I smelled like cookies! :) 

Eta: Nestle bought out carnation, and we were the last ones to make the breakfast bars.  Our plant closed in 1995.

• Love 5
On 9/18/2017 at 7:28 PM, Miss Chevious said:

I miss two products made by Oscar Meyer. One was called Sandwich Spread and it came plastic wrapped, shaped like a large capsule. The other was packaged the same way but it was their Braunschweiger liverwurst.

It's been at least ten years since I saw the Sandwich Spread in the stores. I was buying the liverwurst as recently as a year and a half ago, but now all the grocery stores in my area stopped carrying it. 

I ate what I called L & L's (liverwurst and lettuce) or Sandwich Spread sandwiches practically everyday from first grade all the way through high school (except for Fridays which was PB & J day). Of course this was a long time ago.

But I still miss those products even to this day.

I just bought some Oscar Mayer liverwurst from My local Kroger’s yesterday,  and I remember the sandwich spread because my dad used to eat it. But I miss this shelf- stable chicken salad you used to be able to get ( not Underwood’s),  it was called “ Spreadables” and it came in a can a little bigger and flatter than a tuna can, there might’ve been a ham flavored one too, but it wasn’t deviled.

I too lament the departure of planters cheese balls. I grew up eating their peanut butter. I also miss Nabicos Royal Lunch Milk Crackers, and their Brown Edges Wafers.  There’s a suitable substitute for the milk crackers usually available in the international food section of Meijers, or World Market called “Burton’s Rich Tea Biscuits.”  And I was thrilled when they started making Bomono’s Turkish Taffy again!  And speaking of Jello 1-2-3, did anyone else like “Whip N Chill?  It was my first experience with  any kind of mousse and I loved it.  I think my mom bought it so much because it had fewer calories than pudding.

39 minutes ago, Bunnygirl said:

I couldn’t help but respond to your post.  About a million years ago I worked where they were manufactured.  It was a really good job actually, we had a lot of fun, but the employees personal favorite was the “ honey & Oats”  because it smelled the best while you were working with it. If I had to run to the store after work, people in line would tell me all the time that I smelled like cookies! :) 

Eta: Nestle bought out carnation, and we were the last ones to make the breakfast bars.  Our plant closed in 1995.

We have or had some kind of Nestle-related plant in my Northeast Indiana hometown. I can’t remember what they do/did.

I’ll bet you smelled like cookies when you worked with the honey & oats & everyone noticed. A competing food manufacturer has a commercial where a woman who (supposedly) works for the company says people notice she smells like “cookies” whenever she goes to the store after work because she works with the honey & oats combo too.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

We have or had some kind of Nestle-related plant in my Northeast Indiana hometown. I can’t remember what they do/did.

I’ll bet you smelled like cookies when you worked with the honey & oats & everyone noticed. A competing food manufacturer has a commercial where a woman who (supposedly) works for the company says people notice she smells like “cookies” whenever she goes to the store after work because she works with the honey & oats combo too.

The whole plant reeked of it! No matter what we were running, it was a strong sweet scent that clung to you.  It’s funny you should say that because I live in Indiana!  It’s probably the same plant.  Small World!

2 hours ago, Bunnygirl said:

The whole plant reeked of it! No matter what we were running, it was a strong sweet scent that clung to you.  It’s funny you should say that because I live in Indiana!  It’s probably the same plant.  Small World!

Was the plant anywhere near Fort Wayne? We had 1. I remember it because I remember the Nestle logo on the front of the building. I think it was somewhere between my house at the time & the airport (maybe on/near the connector here to Interstate 69, or near the GM Truck Manufacturing Plant that’s in the same area). I know I saw it enough to remember the logo on it & pretty much the only way that I saw anything that much was on the way to or from the airport (I used to travel a lot before my health went south a few years ago).

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Was the plant anywhere near Fort Wayne? We had 1. I remember it because I remember the Nestle logo on the front of the building. I think it was somewhere between my house at the time & the airport (maybe on/near the connector here to Interstate 69, or near the GM Truck Manufacturing Plant that’s in the same area). I know I saw it enough to remember the logo on it & pretty much the only way that I saw anything that much was on the way to or from the airport (I used to travel a lot before my health went south a few years ago).

No, it was Kokomo.  :)

• Love 1
On 10/4/2018 at 4:08 AM, Bunnygirl said:

I just bought some Oscar Mayer liverwurst from My local Kroger’s yesterday,  and I remember the sandwich spread because my dad used to eat it. But I miss this shelf- stable chicken salad you used to be able to get ( not Underwood’s),  it was called “ Spreadables” and it came in a can a little bigger and flatter than a tuna can, there might’ve been a ham flavored one too, but it wasn’t deviled.

I too lament the departure of planters cheese balls. I grew up eating their peanut butter. I also miss Nabicos Royal Lunch Milk Crackers, and their Brown Edges Wafers.  There’s a suitable substitute for the milk crackers usually available in the international food section of Meijers, or World Market called “Burton’s Rich Tea Biscuits.”  And I was thrilled when they started making Bomono’s Turkish Taffy again!  And speaking of Jello 1-2-3, did anyone else like “Whip N Chill?  It was my first experience with  any kind of mousse and I loved it.  I think my mom bought it so much because it had fewer calories than pudding.

I loved Whip N Chill!

And Dream Whip too. I think once Cool Whip came along, it was the death knell for Dream Whip. Who wanted to take the time to add milk and beat it oneself when it was so much more convenient to just reach into a store’s freezer and grab a tub already whipped. 

I don’t miss Dream Whip nearly as much, but sure would like it if Whip N Chill made a comeback.

• Love 1
On 10/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, Snow Apple said:

I just remembered my childhood favorite chocolate bar. Choco'Lite. I use to buy at least one a week.

Have you tried Nestle's Aero? It sounds very similar. It's from England, but Amazon.com carries it.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, Snow Apple said:

I just remembered my childhood favorite chocolate bar. Choco'Lite. I use to buy at least one a week.

YES! That and the Marathon Bar. The UK still sells the latter but it is known as Curly Wurly over there - and is smaller than the Marathon bar. (I remember the ruler on the top of the orange wrapper.) Scouring eBay is how I tried Curly Wurly. (Come to think of it, I think I mentioned Marathon earlier in this thread.)

But Choco-Lite...yum! I loved the air bubbles, the crunch, and how light it tasted. Also recall the brown and yellow wrapper. Why is it so many good chocolate bars faded away?  :-(

• Love 2

My daughter recently discovered the wonders of Carnation Instant Breakfast, but we can't get the variety pack in my area and I am seriously bummed over that.

I never knew they had an eggnog flavor.  I'm not sure how I would have felt about it, but I'm not sure how I feel about eggnog anyway.

• Love 1

I checked online and you can get the variety packs at every grocery store near my Mom in FL.  I’ll just ask her to throw some in the next package she sends me or get some myself when I go next time and bring them back.

• Love 1

I was in Kroger today, minding my own business, and I happened to come across some Planters Cheese Balls in the snack aisle.  I remember reading here they were being brought back, but I thought it was on a limited basis.

I don't remember having them before so I bought some to see if they are worth all the fuss and clamor.

• Love 1

I saw some cans of Planters Cheese Balls at one of my local Dollar General stores.  I started to buy some, but I'm trying to eat healthy (but I might take some to a staff meeting next week where I could sample a couple).

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1
On 1/14/2019 at 6:09 PM, blueray said:

I'm going to miss SkyBar's. They stopped making them sometime last year.

Oh, no! My late grandfather LOVED them. (And he would often give me one as a treat when I would change the VCR clock for my grandparents during savings/standard time changes. This was the early '90s, before self-changing clocks!)

My dad liked them, too. He'll be disappointed, too. (As am I!)

• Love 2
On 1/14/2019 at 6:09 PM, blueray said:

I'm going to miss SkyBar's. They stopped making them sometime last year.

According to Google, you can still buy Sky Bars. They have them at Amazon (pack of 24–kinda pricey though... $45); eBay; Cracker Barrel (if you don’t have 1 in/near your town, they have a website Cracker Barrel — they have them 24 for $25); Walgreens; Walmart & OldTimeCandy.com (probably among other places).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix capitalization & other things.
  • Love 1
On 2/13/2019 at 6:53 PM, icemiser69 said:

I also miss many discontinued board games and toys, but that is for a different thread, if there is one.

The same goes for Christmas catalogs, again for a different thread.

I started a companion thread to this one on non-food discontinued products you miss. It's on the Everything Else boards.

• Love 2
On 1/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, DeLurker said:

I was in Kroger today, minding my own business, and I happened to come across some Planters Cheese Balls in the snack aisle.

I like how you were minding your own business in there. I try that but my local Kroger is a hellhole and it never works for me. lol.

I miss Knorr chipotle rice. I don't know if it's discontinued but I haven't been able to find it in years. I remember when chipotle flavored stuff was everywhere which was good because I loved it but it got kicked to the side for sriracha everything which I'm not a big fan of. 

• LOL 3
On 2/22/2019 at 1:57 PM, icemiser69 said:

Howard Johnson's used to have the most awesome hard candy.  I don't remember the flavor of it, but the color was pink and came in a roll similar to lifesavers.  The candy was round without a hole in the center.

From what I gather, they were the usual fruit flavors. Picture here, along with assorted other goodies. I had forgotten they had cake, fudge, candy bars, and gum as well as the better known ice cream and frozen meals.

• Useful 1

I miss the Stir and Frost cakes. They came with a square pan and you mixed everything in the pan. They were so good, they're the first thing I ever "baked" by myself.  The chocolate on chocolate was my favorite. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Rescue Mama said:

I miss the Stir and Frost cakes. They came with a square pan and you mixed everything in the pan. They were so good, they're the first thing I ever "baked" by myself.  The chocolate on chocolate was my favorite. 

Yeah, this was mentioned before. Seems many of us miss that!  🙂 And they WERE good. There was another from Betty Crocker, besides Stir 'N Frost, called Snackin' Cake. This was a bit different in that that version had no frosting, etc. I liked it but preferred the Stir 'N Frost.

Here is a pic of it. I knew it was not a figment of my imagination!

1c031c7eb37c7c500cb2654a83a09a6c.jpg

• Love 3

I'm not sure if I posted earlier in this thread about the food item who's maker I still can't remember. Either way I'm going to post about them tonight. In the late 80's and/or early 90's there were some Parmesan crackers that I really liked who's brand name I've been trying to remember for years. I just remember getting them from Phar-Mor with my Mom a lot when I was young and then they just seemed to vanish. I've tried searching online over the years when I've remembered and never come up with any evidence of them.