Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, ariel said:

There was still a Ho Jo's restaurant in Lake Placid, NY.  Sadly it closed in 2015.

There was one in Bangor, Maine for awhile also, but it closed in September. Now there's only one, in Lake George, NY, but it doesn't seem to be long for this world either. Story here. Warning: It's depressing. Some things are best left in memory.

• Love 2
On 5/30/2017 at 7:28 PM, Mindthinkr said:

The Betty Crocker Cookbook (my old one that I was given as a prezzie in the 1970's) has a recipe for them but it takes an overnight refrig sit...way too complicated. After reading this I may have to make them anyway. 

Let us know how complicated to make and how good they turned out.

(edited)
On 5/30/2017 at 6:50 PM, ariel said:

There was still a Ho Jo's restaurant in Lake Placid, NY.  Sadly it closed in 2015.

The very last HoJo's in the US (fairly sure) is in Lake George, NY! I'm old enough to recall when the restaurants were fairly prevalent at rest stops, etc. (40s) My mom loved their clam strips. The last time my family ate at one (never went to the one in Lake George), it was during a family trip out of state - and we were promptly sick for miles, having to stop at many a rest stop. Sigh. Still, it's always sad when a business disappears.

I just looked it up, and it is still hanging on in Lake George...

Edited by WendyCR72
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The very last HoJo's in the US (fairly sure) is in Lake George, NY! I'm old enough to recall when the restaurants were fairly prevalent at rest stops, etc. (40s) My mom loved their clam strips. The last time my family ate at one (never went to the one in Lake George), it was during a family trip out of state - and we were promptly sick for miles, having to stop at many a rest stop. Sigh. Still, it's always sad when a business disappears.

I just looked it up, and it is still hanging on in Lake George...

When I was a kid in the 1960's we traveled on highway 95 by car from the northeast to southeast Florida. My parent had a booklet from Ho Jo's that listed their hotels & restaurants on the way.  They liked the Ho Jo's motels because they had pool & the restaurant had the kids menu.  After being in a car for long hours at the end of the day, me & my brother were rather squawky & annoying. The pool settled us down & my parents carried gin & some sort of a Tom Collins mix in a bottle.  Ice was plentiful & free.  A the end of the day, we were all settled down &  happy.

• Love 4

Aunt Jemima corn sticks.  Sort of a toaster cornbread.  You threw a couple in the toaster, slathered them in butter, and they were the best breakfast ever (to childhood me).  I can't imagine how those were not a best seller as I loved them so much!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Aunt Jemima corn sticks.  Sort of a toaster cornbread.  You threw a couple in the toaster, slathered them in butter, and they were the best breakfast ever (to childhood me).  I can't imagine how those were not a best seller as I loved them so much!

I've never heard of these. I guess because when I was growing up, my mother made cornbread from scratch every single night. But now I would be all over toaster cornbread. I hate making a pan of cornbread for just little ole me. 

• Love 3

Back when yogurt was horrible and left a chalk aftertaste, a new yogurt came to town....

hsotdwhitneysyogurt2014.jpg

They used cream instead of whole milk and the texture was smooth, and had a lot more fruit than the other brands out there.

• Love 5

PB Crisps.

02a5569f2c592d50bd219d69ab07ac70.jpg

The outside was a crunchy cookie, shaped like a peanut. The inside was filled with sugary peanut butter. The consistency of the peanut butter was like the inside of a Butterfinger.

It was Child Crack!!

• Love 3

I made a trip to Walmart early this morning and hunted for Entenmanns. I found mini Crumb Cakes. Close enough. Just as good as I remembered the original cake. I haven't eaten anything Entenmanns in years. No Louisiana Crumb Cake, regular or mini though.

Koepplinger bread.  It was a staple in our house in the 50s in MI.   It is wheat bread, but unique.  It was not an ordinary wheat bread.  It was moist and delicious with a very specific taste!  I don't know if it continued to be the same but the last I had it in the early 60s it was so good.  

(edited)
28 minutes ago, rcc said:

I made a trip to Walmart early this morning and hunted for Entenmanns. I found mini Crumb Cakes. Close enough. Just as good as I remembered the original cake. I haven't eaten anything Entenmanns in years. No Louisiana Crumb Cake, regular or mini though.

Entenmann's emailed back. I sent them several zipcodes and counties.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the availability of Entenmann's in your area.  Based on the zip codes provided, this product is not currently available and we do not offer on-line or mail order programs.

We will be glad to document your request for this product.  Your inquiry will be used to plan our product variety.

You are a valued consumer and we appreciate that you took the time and interest to contact us. We hope that you will continue to enjoy our products."

Yeah, stores around here only carry their donuts these days, I've never had 'em and won't touch 'em. Since they cut their product selection back it's also been dropped by stores or they lost shelf space.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, ikmccall said:

I'm in Delaware and went to the supermarket this morning.  Not only were Entenmann's on sale but there were Louisiana Crunch Cakes.  

Looking sideways at your post with narrowed, jealous, miffed eyes.

You really know how to hurt someone IKMCCALL!  ;-P

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2

charms_rolls__22209.jpg

There was a candy similar to Charms above in it's packaging. Each hard candy piece was individually wrapped in cellophane like an envelope. All I remember was the outside said Coffee. It was a hard candy and sweet and had a strong coffee taste

Godiva Hazlenut Praline Biscuits

760c53ecf24c949ef0b9d625363e9eee.jpg

f0d2011d94d2afd1292e504fd778389e.jpg

I used to buy them by the box. These are no longer sold unless you buy a $40 assortment box of biscuits. I'm not paying $40 to get 4 of the biscuits that I really like.

• Love 1
On 6/7/2017 at 6:01 PM, KungFuBunny said:

There was a candy similar to Charms above in it's packaging. Each hard candy piece was individually wrapped in cellophane like an envelope. All I remember was the outside said Coffee. It was a hard candy and sweet and had a strong coffee taste

Bali's Best Coffee Candy might taste similar.

I really miss Kashi's Chocolate Soft Baked Squares.  I discovered them when I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes.  I would eat one at night with a cold glass of milk.  It satisfied a lot of cravings but was a healthier option.  Of course, they were an acquired taste.  Initially, I thought they tasted like chocolate flavored bark, but I liked the portion control and how I didn't have a sugar crash after eating them.  

I looked at the ingredient list once, to see if I could try to replicate them, but it's a very complicated ingredient list, so I quickly vetoed the idea.

I can understand discontinuing products more than I can changing the established taste. There are several foods I used to like that I think were spoiled by an update. Seems like an item would either be popular enough to continue selling as is, or jettison if not. Don't turn it into something else!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Marsha 1957 said:

Oh how I loved Great Shakes and Shak A Pudding I am sure both were from A&P.  Miss them still. 

Great Shakes came from General Foods and Shake a Pudding from Royal, which I'm pretty sure were national brands. I remember the Shake a Pudding ads but not Great Shakes. Links to ads in case you're feeling nostalgic:

(edited)
On 5/7/2017 at 7:31 AM, wings707 said:

Spumoni ice cream.  I haven't seen this in decades.  

It's still out there. August 21 is National Spumoni Day in the United States. November 13 is National Spumoni Day in Canada.

Dreyers and Ben & Jerry make Spumoni. I'm sure you can get it at Baskin Robbins. Check your local Italian grocery, or groceries in Italian neighborhoods.

Does anyone remember Space Food Sticks? I loved the peanut butter flavor. I imagine they were discontinued when the world got bored with astronauts.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, ennui said:

Does anyone remember Space Food Sticks? I loved the peanut butter flavor. I imagine they were discontinued when the world got bored with astronauts.

I remember them, although I never ate them. They don't seem to be available currently, but there are tantalizing links to them from Amazon and Retro Candy. My guess is that they're pretty similar to many energy bars currently made, although they don't have the unique stick shape. You can still get Tang and Astronaut Ice Cream, though.

6 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

although they don't have the unique stick shape.

I imagine the vague plastic taste is missing, as well.  :)  (But I sure ate of lot of them as a child!)

The talk of Carnation malted milk a few pages back reminded me of Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars.  Man, did I love those things and nothing that is made now tastes like them. With the popularity of breakfast bars and energy bars, I don't see why these haven't made a comeback. I loved the chocolate chip ones the most. 

*I just googled it and found a facebook page about bringing them back. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, festivus said:

The talk of Carnation malted milk a few pages back reminded me of Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars.  Man, did I love those things and nothing that is made now tastes like them. With the popularity of breakfast bars and energy bars, I don't see why these haven't made a comeback. I loved the chocolate chip ones the most. 

*I just googled it and found a facebook page about bringing them back. 

I used to eat one for breakfast every morning in high school.

• Love 2
On 6/21/2017 at 11:58 AM, 2727 said:

I can understand discontinuing products more than I can changing the established taste. There are several foods I used to like that I think were spoiled by an update. Seems like an item would either be popular enough to continue selling as is, or jettison if not. Don't turn it into something else!

That goes for more than food, but I agree! I used to love the almost powdery scent of the Original Pantene Shampoo formula. Then it was "improved" or whatever, and it's not the same. Oh, well.

• Love 1

Does anyone else remember Robin Hood Cereal?  It was around back in the early 90's as a tie-in to Robinhood: Prince of Thieves. It tasted a bit like Captain Crunch. I remember loving it, but I think it was gone probably by 1994.

I also have to admit I miss 3D Doritos.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:51 PM, auntlada said:

I used to eat one for breakfast every morning in high school.

I may have, too. Mostly, I remember the Carnation Instant Breakfast that you mixed with milk. I had a lot of those!

• Love 1
On 6/29/2017 at 9:18 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Greenwood brand pickled beets.  We ate them growing up and then I moved away from NYS and had a hard time finding them. Heard they went out of business.  Don't like other brands. Sniff.

Darn, I didn't know that.  I've been buying some pretty good imported German brands of pickled beets and pickled shredded red cabbage from my local "job lot" chain so I didn't notice its absence.  Some of them have been pretty good.  Sometimes Big Lots has them too.

• Love 1

Starburst Fruit Twists.  They weren't around for long.  They were my favorite road trip snack as a kid, and better than Twizzlers to me.

This commercial brings back memories.

Starburst Gummies are almost as good, and I'll miss those if they're taken off the shelves.

The Target here quit carrying the Market Pantry brand pickled beets. Those things were better than some that I've bought home canned from the farmer's market. I feel like they should have kept them in stock even if I was the only one buying them because I bought at least four jars a month.

• Love 4
On 7/15/2017 at 11:01 PM, theredhead77 said:

They aren't identical but: http://storefinder.mmmars.com/kudos/kudos.htm

I meant to reply to this before. That's the brand I meant. I came across that website before where it has a copyright year of 2007 at the bottom. My results from googling too much one night brought me to the conclusion that they quit producing Kudos a few years after that website was last updated. 

5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I meant to reply to this before. That's the brand I meant. I came across that website before where it has a copyright year of 2007 at the bottom. My results from googling too much one night brought me to the conclusion that they quit producing Kudos a few years after that website was last updated. 

I mean the "candy bar goodness" Kudos of Kudos heyday are not the same as the ones that are around now.

9 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Were they a regional thing (?) because sorry, no I don't remember them (or it might have been a time in my life when I had very little extra money for treats). 

No idea. We had them in NC in the late 80's. They became something of a family joke, because my grandma always had them for us, but we had to eat them out on the deck. Even though they were made of Jello, so it was almost impossible for them to melt and drip on her floor.

I saw several different recipes when I was looking for an image last night. I'll have to try them some time!