Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

I tried making both of these cakes yesterday and was quite pleased with the results!

The Hot Fudge cake was probably a little overbaked, but the crowd I gave it to is very forgiving with anything chocolate.  The Lemon Pudding cake was so nice - a light, fluffy texture and not too sweet.  I did cut the sugar down a bit and used Meyer lemons. 

I suspect both will be made, and requested, again.

• Love 3

Also miss the individualy wrapped Kraft cheese "kisses"

I'm glad someone else remembers those.  I loved 'em.  I used to mention them now and then to people I know, and no one else ever seemed to remember them and thought I was making it up.  

when I was a kid I was mostly hooked on banquet brand stuff like the chicken thighs and legs and the mini cheese sticks. I ate the cheese sticks daily for most of my childhood because nothing else was just that good. since the 90's for reasons that I didn't understand, I couldn't find anymore of them. the chicken is still there, but they took the skin off of it and now it isn't as good. I miss the banquet brand mini cheese sticks and have even contacted the company a few times asking where I can buy them online, but they never reply.

does anyone here know where I can find them, or are they just gone?

4 hours ago, misty009 said:

when I was a kid I was mostly hooked on banquet brand stuff like the chicken thighs and legs and the mini cheese sticks. I ate the cheese sticks daily for most of my childhood because nothing else was just that good. since the 90's for reasons that I didn't understand, I couldn't find anymore of them. the chicken is still there, but they took the skin off of it and now it isn't as good. I miss the banquet brand mini cheese sticks and have even contacted the company a few times asking where I can buy them online, but they never reply.

does anyone here know where I can find them, or are they just gone?

I was at the Banquet site the other day, lamenting the fact they don't make the TV dinners with the "classic" 4 compartment trays, like we had when I was growing up. All the TV dinners I seem to see now are either just an entree (like a big pack of frozen fried chicken pieces--& I think they've even stopped making frozen fried chicken using actual pieces; they're using strips or something), or a large/family-sized side or something else, or a 2-compartment entree together with a side. I preferred Swanson dinners over Banquet (but I liked Banquet pot pies over Swanson's--go figure).

I didn't even know Banquet made frozen cheese sticks until you mentioned them. I've never seen those--at least by Banquet. I didn't see them when I was over at the website the other night either. Unfortunately for you, I'm thinking they're gone.

The tiramisu from Fresh and Easy. The big one never the silly little wedge.

It's so easy to make but it was so much easier to go in and grab one and know it's delicious yummyness will be inhaled with love. 

They tasted like the inside of the can in which they came to me; every single time I'd try one (because they looked like something I'd like, so I just kept falling for it), I desperately wished I was eating a Cheetos Puff instead.  But if I come across them, I'll try again to see if I feel any differently now.

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

According to this article in USA Today, Planters Cheez Balls & Planters Cheez Curls are coming back for a limited time, online & in select stores (not named in the article), in July.

I am pathetic enough to say that this made my day.  I will be buying all the cans, assuming they did not change the recipe.  

• Love 2
On 6/27/2018 at 6:31 AM, BW Manilowe said:

According to this article in USA Today, Planters Cheez Balls & Planters Cheez Curls are coming back for a limited time, online & in select stores (not named in the article), in July.

YES! I'll have to be on the lookout!

• Love 1

Well, out of curiosity, I checked Amazon, and the Cheez Balls/Curls are up for pre-order. Since a single can is said to be $1.99 (make it 2 rounded off), the price it is asking for a case of 12 ($24) is not bad. Since this is said to be limited edition, I may seriously buy it. The Cheez Curls are also available for the same price.

The funny thing is, the balls are #16 in grocery items and #5 for snacks already. LOL!

35 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

If there is anyone in the metro Boston area that would like to split a pack, I’ve got Prime (I’m only half kidding).

If worse comes to worse and you have no one to split with, sell 'em on eBay!

(edited)
19 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Why won't Amazon send me the Cheez Balls?? Your area nor available for delivery is unacceptable!!!

That's weird. I've never had anyone else say Amazon has a restriction on where they send something. They should send them to you if you're in the States (or I think if you have an APO or FPO address).

Do you have a friend or relative who lives somewhere they will send the Cheez Balls, who could/would have them delivered to their address & then send them on to you? You could always do it that way. Other people have, for other things.

I was curious about this whole "Amazon won't send me the Cheez Balls" thing, so I went looking around the site. I use the Amazon Smile version, which donates a percentage of your purchase to a charity of your choice; Planters Cheez Balls aren't even showing up for me, just the Cheez Curls... which won't be available until the 15th.

But the Smile site is exactly the same as the regular Amazon, except for making charity donations for each purchase made through the site, so using that version of the site shouldn't affect which products are available. 

When you start to fill in the search engine, it gives you the choice to select Planters Cheez Balls, but the page you get sent to when you do only has Cheez Curls, which aren't even available yet.

This is really strange.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missing word.
19 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Why won't Amazon send me the Cheez Balls?? Your area nor available for delivery is unacceptable!!!

They do that for me with any kind of soda even from the Pantry section. There isn't a Whole Foods where I am so I don't qualify for the grocery delivery that isn't shipped. Nobody at Amazon has ever been able to give me an answer as to why even when I tried to go up the chain of people there. Someone who works for Pepsi saw me mention this in a Facebook group and said it may have to do with the contract the local bottlers have.  I haven't tried ordering the Planters Cheez Balls or Curls yet. When I do I'll report back on if I get that kind of message for them too.

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I was curious about this whole "Amazon won't send me the Cheez Balls" thing, so I went looking around the site. I use the Amazon Smile version, which donates a percentage of your purchase to a charity of your choice; Planters Cheez Balls aren't even showing up for me, just the Cheez Curls... which won't be available until the 15th.

I also use Amazon Smile and had no problem finding Cheez Balls. BTW, they are also available on 7/15:

Planters Cheez Balls

ETA: I see this now says Currently Unavailable. Amazon sometimes does this during a pre-order when demand is more than the supply. I already have my pre-order in. But if you want the case, just click on the Notify Me button. When it is back in stock, Amazon will let you know. I have used it before and it is reliable.

Maybe that is why it is saying this can't be sent or whatever.

The Cheez Curls version is still available for pre-order.

I ordered my Cheez Curls and have signed up to be notified when the Cheez Balls are back in stock. Why oh why didn’t I pre-order the Cheez Balls?! I will brave my local Walmart is I need to, but it’s a last resort.

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

That's weird. I've never had anyone else say Amazon has a restriction on where they send something. They should send them to you if you're in the States (or I think if you have an APO or FPO address).

Do you have a friend or relative who lives somewhere they will send the Cheez Balls, who could/would have them delivered to their address & then send them on to you? You could always do it that way. Other people have, for other things.

But the Smile site is exactly the same as the regular Amazon, except for making charity donations for each purchase made through the site, so using that version of the site shouldn't affect which products are available. 

When you start to fill in the search engine, it gives you the choice to select Planters Cheez Balls, but the page you get sent to when you do only has Cheez Curls, which aren't even available yet.

This is really strange.

It is weird. On my app, I can't even get the Cheez Balls to show up, but if I go through the planters site, Amazon says this pantry item is not available for delivery on your area. I'm in Florida!! 

I may have to settle for the curls.

45 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

It is weird. On my app, I can't even get the Cheez Balls to show up, but if I go through the planters site, Amazon says this pantry item is not available for delivery on your area. I'm in Florida!! 

I may have to settle for the curls.

Still weird. I tried the original Amazon site awhile ago. I did the "fill in the search window" thing with Planters Cheez Balls, which they suggested after I started typing; I only got the Cheez Curls, along with various individual kinds of nuts, mixed nuts, & trail mix, like last time on the Amazon Smile site. Then I manually entered Planters Snacks & got the same results--Cheez Curls & various nuts, mixed nuts, & trail mixes, but no Cheez Balls.

But when I use the link for the Cheez Balls @WendyCR72 posted on the previous page (page 12), it takes me right to them. Of course, I get the notification they're Currently Unavailable, but I can still see the Cheez Balls when I use that link. And only when I use that link.

I can't remember that ever happening with something on Amazon before. This is really weird.

It's a planters and amazing conspiracy!!! Lol.

All I know is that if this had happened with a re-release if Bar None, y'all would have read about me in the paper. Crazy woman from Florida storms Amazon screaming "Bezos better give me my candy!!!". 

• Love 1

They better get the Cheez Balls back in. I did not get to preorder, and I try to avoid Walmart whenever possible.  

On the plus side, maybe Planters is taking note of the demand so that they'll be back permanently.  I hope...

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, janestclair said:

They better get the Cheez Balls back in. I did not get to preorder, and I try to avoid Walmart whenever possible.  

On the plus side, maybe Planters is taking note of the demand so that they'll be back permanently.  I hope...

I'm not ordering either, but I still wonder why some places can get the Cheez Balls but not the Cheez Curls, & vice-versa (can anybody get both the Cheez Balls & the Cheez Curls).

32 minutes ago, janestclair said:

The Cheez Balls & Cheez Curls are listed on Walmart's website. Predictably, they're out of stock.

Full disclosure: I have never tasted either of these (cheese balls and cheese curls) but there seems to be a lot of hype about them. The closest I have come is Cheetos over 20 years ago. 

(edited)
43 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

I just got very excited (& then very disappointed) because Amazon sent a part that the Cheez Balls we're back in stock!!

For $136.95.

That's nuts! I went to Kmart's site today to look for folding chairs and they were all listed at being over $2,000. Russian hackers?

Edited by chessiegal
3 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I just got very excited (& then very disappointed) because Amazon sent a part that the Cheez Balls we're back in stock!!

For $136.95.

Got the same e-mail. I still have the pre-order in, but have the "We need a bit more time to establish a delivery date", etc. I have a bad feeling this will end up being canceled. Maybe Amazon took too many orders?

So I went to eBay, checked seller ratings and such and bought a single can from a seller that wasn't asking for a vital organ as payment. He/She sold out fast. So if Amazon does stiff me, at least I have this can that is coming. LOL!

(edited)
On 7/20/2018 at 9:31 PM, callie lee 29 said:

For $136.95.

After reading this, I went to Walmart's site to check their Cheez Balls/Puffs situation out, again; especially since a lot of Amazon's food prices are ridiculous for 1 package, &/or they make you buy a multiple package configuration (which you usually don't want) to get anywhere near a "reasonable" price per package in said multiple package configuration. I'm really careful when I buy snacks & stuff from Amazon; I don't buy multiple packages of the same item unless I already know I like it or I'm pretty sure I will if it's the first time I'm trying something. Having said that, I have managed to get some OK deals on single package items but I can get really pissed they save the really reasonable prices for PrimePantry members, though I also know that's how they do things.

The Balls/Puffs are still listed there for $1.98 each, regardless of whether you want the Balls or the Puffs. But they're also still listed as being out of stock there.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
(edited)

I miss the Pepperidge Farms sesame crackers that used to come with the four pack of crackers. We used to get them for the holidays. Now they just have the trios. The sesame crackers went so well with my clam and shrimp dip. I haven’t found a replacement. 

Edited by justspiffy
Spelling

I miss the caramel rolls from Pillsbury.  First they stopped carrying them with nuts (though we would buy our own to put atop them), then the rolls were carried only in certain stores, then they eventually disappeared completely.  It was a tradition when my mom was alive to have them for breakfast on Thanksgiving and New Year's, along with other occasional uses.  The worst part is that after they were discontinued, I found a tube of them in the back of the refrigerator, but it was too late to use them.  It was like they were taunting me.

• Love 1

All of this talk about wanting Cheez Balls and not being able to get them makes me picture an elaborate caper with a big truck smuggling cans and cans of the snack 'Smoky and the Bandit' style.  

Does anyone remember making (and eating) '1-2-3 Jell-O'?  I don't remember if it was particularly good, but you have to admit that the whole idea was intriguing (especially for kids) and probably led to big sales (at least until the novelty wore off).  I'm sure a lot of people served this treat as dessert at dinner parties, probably in fancy stemmed glasses.  

• Love 4

I’ve received 3 emails from Amazon that Cheez Curls are back in stock. For the first two I didn’t see them for a few hours after they were sent, so no surprise they were sold out. Today I got an email at 7:46 that they were back in stock.  When I tried to add them to my cart at 8:03 they were already out of stock. This is crazy!

13 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I’ve received 3 emails from Amazon that Cheez Curls are back in stock. For the first two I didn’t see them for a few hours after they were sent, so no surprise they were sold out. Today I got an email at 7:46 that they were back in stock.  When I tried to add them to my cart at 8:03 they were already out of stock. This is crazy!

You're missing nothing. All have been from third-party sellers who are demanding outrageous prices. In terms of being officially back in stock by Amazon, nothing yet. And the hopeful shipping date they gave me was for freaking August 17th, with no guarantee. Bet Amazon cancels all these orders. Someone dropped the ball somewhere, big time.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

All of this talk about wanting Cheez Balls and not being able to get them makes me picture an elaborate caper with a big truck smuggling cans and cans of the snack 'Smoky and the Bandit' style.  

Does anyone remember making (and eating) '1-2-3 Jell-O'?  I don't remember if it was particularly good, but you have to admit that the whole idea was intriguing (especially for kids) and probably led to big sales (at least until the novelty wore off).  I'm sure a lot of people served this treat as dessert at dinner parties, probably in fancy stemmed glasses.  

I remember Jell-O 1-2-3, which probably makes me ancient. I think my mom actually got it & made it at least once; probably more than once. I don't remember what flavor(s) she got (the embedded commercial said there were 5), but I seem to remember thinking it wasn't that great the first time she made it, but I think I somehow got to try it again & I ended up liking it by the time it was discontinued, & wishing it hadn't been.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I remember! I think my family had it a few times when I was a kid.

• Love 1

Yesterday, I got the Cheez Balls and Cheez Curls in my local Woodman's. They were just sitting there on two pallets as I rounded a corner and there was a ton of them. I got them for $1.99 each. I haven't opened either so I don't know if they are any good or if my memory is better but if you live in Wisconsin or Northern Illinois (I'm pretty sure Woodman's is only in WI and IL) then give them a shot.