Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

33 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Thanks!  I have seen the chocolate cat cookies, but not the ginger cat ones.  I think the only TJ cookie that I was disappointed in were the chocolate chip cookies.  They didn't taste any better (or worse) than any other store brand CC cookie. 

I used to like TJ's caprese sandwiches. Yeah, they're easy to make yourself, but by the time you buy all the ingredients you end up throwing most of them out. Maybe I'm weird, but I like pre-made savory sandwiches, and all TJ seems to have is wraps.

Here's a weird one for you guys:

A Payless (before they became CVS like everything except Walgreen) drug store used to stock frozen British food. You could get shepherd's pie, steak & kidney pie, etc. But I loved their bubble & squeak.  It's not hard at all to make, but I loved having the bag of icy comfort in my fridge for when I didn't want to bother. Anybody seen it anywhere? (Brit residents: you don''t count).

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 1

I had to go to TJs this morning to test whether Triple Ginger Snaps freeze as well as @BooksRule suggested.  At the rate I am inhaling them, I may have to check that after the next purchase.    Clearly waiting too long between purchases of an indulgence leads to total loss of self control!

No Ginger Cat Cookies nor Lemon Crinkles in the store.  But since I was spending more time looking for them, I ended up buying Quadruple Almond Butter Cookies and Toffee Chips along with the Triple Ginger Snaps.

@spiderpig - No Bacon Wrapped Scallops either, but I remember seeing them in the past.  I thought it was closer to Christmas though. 

I'll let you know when I see them.

• Love 2

DeLurker, I opened the tub of Quadruple Almond Cookies this weekend (pretty tasty) and ate a couple of handfuls, but have managed to avoid opening one of the other three (!) tubs of Triple Ginger Snaps I bought.  I plan to put those in the freezer, along with the rest of the Almond Cookies (I'm back on my diet as of today, so I must resist).

• Love 1

Good to know, SpiderPig! I hope they bring back the Brie and cranberry bites (wrapped in phyllo). Years ago TJ's had an awesome pumpkin mousse pie/cake with a gingersnap crust (in the freezer section). It was so good. I've been trying to recreate it ever since it disappeared but with no luck. 

On 11/12/2016 at 6:22 PM, spiderpig said:
On 11/12/2016 at 4:10 PM, DeLurker said:

Last year we picked up some bacon-wrapped scallops in the frozen hors d'oeuvres section of TJ's. We couldn't find them when we went back & employees told us they were listed as "seasonal".  Has anyone seen these lately? We're heading into the Really Big Season.

I got a big box at BJs this year, more and better priced and just st as good. 

I miss thinking Hostess products were the shit. I tell myself they don't taste as good because it's not the same bakery. I think I posted somewhere else in this thread that I miss the Nielsen 4 flavor bar. There's a Facebook page dedicated to bringing it back! 

I also miss the Nielsen malted milk bar. 3 Musketeers are not the same.

9 hours ago, Qoass said:

Remember when 3 Musketeers had a white wrapper instead of silver?  I'm old and I miss that.

I remember! (I was born in the '70s!) Do you also remember the Nestle Milk Chocolate bars without the Crunch? Plain and with almonds? There was also, briefly, an Alpine White bar. That I know was discontinued, but the regular chocolate bar and the bar with almonds just disappeared or so it seems.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I remember! (I was born in the '70s!) Do you also remember the Nestle Milk Chocolate bars without the Crunch? Plain and with almonds? There was also, briefly, an Alpine White bar. That I know was discontinued, but the regular chocolate bar and the bar with almonds just disappeared or so it seems.

Yes! Wasn't the Nestle milk chocolate bar in a red wrapper?  Once in a while, I liked it without the crunch.

3 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Yes! Wasn't the Nestle milk chocolate bar in a red wrapper?  Once in a while, I liked it without the crunch.

Yeah. The plain Milk Chocolate bar was in a red and white wrapper, and the Milk Chocolate with Almonds was blue and white.

2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I remember! (I was born in the '70s!) Do you also remember the Nestle Milk Chocolate bars without the Crunch? Plain and with almonds? There was also, briefly, an Alpine White bar.

I remember the Alpine white & liking it.  My husband misses the Bar - None from the 1980's.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The plain Nestle Milk Chocolate bar still exists (in miniature size) in the large bag of assorted Nestle miniatures that I got from Rite-Aid the other day.  You'd have to buy a ginormous bag of chocolates, but it's a sacrifice that I'm sure can be made... 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I loved those Alpine White Bars. They remind me of my Mom and how we'd always get a couple when going grocery shopping.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah. The plain Milk Chocolate bar was in a red and white wrapper, and the Milk Chocolate with Almonds was blue and white.

Here's a commercial showing all three bars at the end. I miss pretty commercials like this.

• Love 1
On 2/8/2017 at 4:47 PM, Jaded said:

This is the right thread for my missing food item. I miss Cheetos Paws. They tasted different then curls or puffs even though they all probably had/have the same cheese coating.

I've been meaning to come in here for two weeks, I picked up a bag of Cheetos Paws at my grocery store two days after I read your post! So they are out there again. 

• Love 1

Does anybody remember Pizza Hut's Big New Yorker Pizza? It was this oversized pepperoni and cheese pizza with this crazy amazing tomato sauce that I'm still dream about to this day. I think it was offered in the late 90s to early 2000s for just a few short years and then vanished.

That was definitely the best big restaurant chain pizza I ever had.

More recently, I fell in love with a generic brand of ice cream that came in a bunch of fun flavors every summer, including mint Oreo cookie, which is basically mint flavored ice cream with delicious dark Oreo cookie pieces in it. Of course they didn't use the brand name Oreo but you get my point. For some stupid reason the company decided it didn't want to keep making that flavor about two summers ago so I frantically went to a couple of grocery stores to buy at the last few containers I could find. I haven't seen it on the shelves since, but for some stupid reason they continue to manufacture gross flavors like cotton candy. Who eats cotton candy flavored ice cream? Wouldn't that be better as a sorbet or Sherbert? Baffling.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Does anybody remember Pizza Hut's Big New Yorker Pizza? It was this oversized pepperoni and cheese pizza with this crazy amazing tomato sauce that I'm still dream about to this day. I think it was offered in the late 90s to early 2000s for just a few short years and then vanished.

I remember it. I liked that one and their Big Foot Pizza from the early to mid 90's. 

All this talk in the Pet Peeves re bad eggs got me to thinking about something I used to frequently see on Chinese restaurant menus way back in the 1970's as a kid but I haven't seen in a long time: Thousand Year Old Eggs!

Despite my late father's encouragement re expanding my culinary repertoire back then, I don't recall ever actually TRYING one. However; even back then I used to wonder how they possibly could have KNOWN said eggs had been buried '1000 years' and been able to keep track of them through wars, famines, floods, etc. but since then I realize that this was just a tag to let folks know they'd been buried a while. Has anyone here seen any in a while and/or actually tried to eat one?

• Love 1
On 2/23/2017 at 5:47 AM, Qoass said:

Remember when 3 Musketeers had a white wrapper instead of silver?  I'm old and I miss that.

Yes! I'm still convinced the recipe changed when they changed the wrapper.

On 2/24/2017 at 9:04 AM, Jaded said:

I loved those Alpine White Bars. They remind me of my Mom and how we'd always get a couple when going grocery shopping.

Still miss Alpine White! It was my favorite!

5 hours ago, Blergh said:

All this talk in the Pet Peeves re bad eggs got me to thinking about something I used to frequently see on Chinese restaurant menus way back in the 1970's as a kid but I haven't seen in a long time: Thousand Year Old Eggs!

Despite my late father's encouragement re expanding my culinary repertoire back then, I don't recall ever actually TRYING one. However; even back then I used to wonder how they possibly could have KNOWN said eggs had been buried '1000 years' and been able to keep track of them through wars, famines, floods, etc. but since then I realize that this was just a tag to let folks know they'd been buried a while. Has anyone here seen any in a while and/or actually tried to eat one?

I don't recall seeing them on restaurant menus even in the 1970's; maybe I went to the wrong restaurants. Szechuan food was just starting to be a "thing" then, and it became harder to find my own favorite, Lobster Cantonese, done well. Anyway, regarding the thousand year eggs: they're described as preserved rather than actually buried. Here is their story in the Huffington Post. If you want to make your own, recipe here. (Watch out for the lye!) You can also order them from Amazon.com. Description here. One caution: the "frequently bought along with" links on the Amazon page are not for the weak of stomach!

Never tried them, don't want to.

• Love 1

Thanks GreekGeek for the info!  Oh, as long as we're talking hard-to-find Chinese food, I was surprised to find Chop Suey on a menu in Victoria, BC since I don't recall seeing it in the States in about 20 years (and yes, I know that it's not actually an authentic food found in Chinese restaurants in China). Hard to believe but in the first half of the 20th century, folks in the States became downright obsessed with it like Big Macs!

4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Thanks GreekGeek for the info!  Oh, as long as we're talking hard-to-find Chinese food, I was surprised to find Chop Suey on a menu in Victoria, BC since I don't recall seeing it in the States in about 20 years (and yes, I know that it's not actually an authentic food found in Chinese restaurants in China). Hard to believe but in the first half of the 20th century, folks in the States became downright obsessed with it like Big Macs!

That is so interesting.  It must be a regional thing because almost every Chinese restaurant in my area offers Chop Suey, right along with Chow Mein.

Here it depends on whether the place is more of a takeout or an eat-in place. All the takeout places in my neighborhood offer Chop Suey, but not the sit-down restaurants. I looked up the one holdover from the 1960's style menu (drinks in coconut shells and Tiki God cocktail glasses, "one from Column A, one from Column B") and decor (Tiki Bar, red and gold) in my area and saw it closed down six months ago. :(

Ages ago I used to get this brand of red licorice made by Broadway. At the time I was in the NY metropolitan area-ish. I used to get it as a treat after I had my blood drawn and the other unpleasantries of childhood. Does anyone know where I can find it? Even heard of it? 

Ages ago I used to get this brand of red licorice made by Broadway. At the time I was in the NY metropolitan area-ish. I used to get it as a treat after I had my blood drawn and the other unpleasantries of childhood. Does anyone know where I can find it? Even heard of it?

Are these them?

• Love 1

Anybody remember Newly Weds Ice Cream Cake Roll from the 50s-60s?  It was like a chocolate cake & vanilla ice cream buche de noel that you'd slice into giant pieces of deliciousness.

I would scarf it down while the ice cream was still rock-hard frozen.

3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Anybody remember Newly Weds Ice Cream Cake Roll from the 50s-60s?  It was like a chocolate cake & vanilla ice cream buche de noel that you'd slice into giant pieces of deliciousness.

I remember those! My mom bought them for dinner party dessert before I got into baking. I found the name kind of offputting: I guess the ice cream was the "bride" and the cake was the "groom"? I didn't like the thought of eating a newly married couple. In any event, it shouldn't be too difficult to find something similar nowadays.

• Love 1

Spumoni ice cream.  I haven't seen this in decades.  

4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I remember an ice cream cake roll but the name doesn't ring a bell.  What an odd name, you would think I would remember that. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, wings707 said:

I remember an ice cream cake roll but the name doesn't ring a bell.  What an odd name, you would think I would remember that. 

I imagine they make something similar at Baskin-Robbins.  The whole memory of the packaging is just so 50s-60s funky.

newly weds cake.jpg

• Love 2
13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I remember those! My mom bought them for dinner party dessert before I got into baking. I found the name kind of offputting: I guess the ice cream was the "bride" and the cake was the "groom"? I didn't like the thought of eating a newly married couple. In any event, it shouldn't be too difficult to find something similar nowadays.

I know what you mean.  It would be kind of like eating Miss Piggy bacon.

(edited)

No, no, no. Vanilla ice cream married chocolate cake.  They are all curled up together.  No newly weds  were harmed in making of this product.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, wings707 said:

No, no, no. Vanilla ice cream married chocolate cake.  They are all curled up together.  No newly weds  were harmed in making of this product.  

/But you must be at least 18 to consume this product!

Chocolate Ding Dongs were the highlight of my early childhood visits to my childless aunt's house. I bought a box once as an adult & they were so awful I ended up tossing the remaining cakes. 

• Love 1

I didn't realize they made any kind other than chocolate Ding Dongs. Did you know the original Twinkies were banana flavored? They brought them back for a limited time around ten years ago. Of course there wasn't a drop of actual bananas in them. I wonder if the original ones were real banana cake or just flavoring.

8 hours ago, Nysha said:

Chocolate Ding Dongs were the highlight of my early childhood visits to my childless aunt's house. I bought a box once as an adult & they were so awful I ended up tossing the remaining cakes. 

We never had such high end treats in our house - large family, extremely modest income  - but a friend of my Mom's always had them and she kept them in the freezer.  When you are the youngest, all your brothers are in school and you go where Mom goes, it was a huge treat.

• Love 3

Oooh are they any good or do they taste artificial?

I'm with @DeLurker. We seldom got store-bought treats so the artificial taste was the attraction.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2017 at 6:22 PM, theredhead77 said:

Yes! I'm still convinced the recipe changed when they changed the wrapper.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:04 PM, Jaded said:

They probably changed from real sugar to corn or high fructose syrup. It makes a difference. I miss so many tastes of my childhood. They just don't make them like they used to lol. 

• Love 1
On 5/7/2017 at 8:33 PM, forumfish said:

the original foil-wrapped Ding Dongs

And Ho-Ho's. Eating a Ho-Ho was a ritual unto itself. Peel off the chocolate, unroll the cake, lick the frosting. 

• Love 6