Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

2 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yes - I still get that occasionally.  I guess the name change didn't register.  (FWIW - I like the powder form - tastes like Nestle Quik - but once I tried the ready made in a bottle and that stuff was nasty!)

I haven't tried ready made in a bottle, but I imagine it's like YooHoo or Ensure, with nondairy milk.  More artificial tasting.  The powder made with real milk is actually tasty.  It is impossible to find the ingredients lists on line even on the Carnation web site. 

22 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I haven't tried ready made in a bottle, but I imagine it's like YooHoo or Ensure, with nondairy milk.  More artificial tasting.  The powder made with real milk is actually tasty.  It is impossible to find the ingredients lists on line even on the Carnation web site. 

Challenge accepted!  This is from the Sam's Club site (for the powder version):

0040641716599_C?$DT_Zoom$

• Useful 1

Nutrition Facts

10 servings per container

Serving Size

1.0 packet

Amount per serving

Calories

% Daily Value*

Total Fat

1g1

Saturated Fat

0.5g3

Trans Fat

0g

Cholesterol

Sodium

90mg4 

Total Carbohydrate

27g10 

Dietary Fiber

0g0 

Total Sugars

19g

Includes

12g Added Sugars24 

Protein

5g

Vitamin A

Vitamin C

Vitamin D

Calcium

200mg15 

Iron

3.5mg20 

Potassium

280mg6

*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.

Ingredients

Nonfat Milk, Sugar, Maltodextrin, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, Lactose, Vitamins And Minerals (Vitamins And Minerals: Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Hydroxide, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Choline Bitartrate, DL-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ferric Phosphate (Iron), Niacinamide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Gluconate, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin K1, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Molybdate, Vitamin D3, Biotin), And Less Than 2% Of Soy Lecithin, Carrageenan, Natural Flavor.

2 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Does anyone remember Carnation Instant Breakfast?  A powder you mixed with milk.  I used to like it.   I haven't seen it around in years, but I haven't been looking.  Your mentions of other synthetic foodstuffs reminded me.   ETA:  They now seem to be called Carnation Breakfast Essentials!  That's a laugh. 

My mom still drinks one of those occasionally.

• Like 1
On 1/24/2023 at 12:27 PM, EtheltoTillie said:

I remember them as Space Food Sticks!   Sort of like Tootsie Rolls?

Does anyone remember Carnation Instant Breakfast?  A powder you mixed with milk.  I used to like it.   I haven't seen it around in years, but I haven't been looking.  Your mentions of other synthetic foodstuffs reminded me.   ETA:  They now seem to be called Carnation Breakfast Essentials!  That's a laugh. 

On 1/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Yes - I still get that occasionally.  I guess the name change didn't register.  (FWIW - I like the powder form - tastes like Nestle Quik - but once I tried the ready made in a bottle and that stuff was nasty!)

I'm still mad that the Malt flavor in the powder form of Carnation Instant Breakfast (I've never liked the changed name) was discontinued quite a few years ago. I too tried the ready made bottled version and found it to be thoroughly nasty too. Oh and I know there's Carnation Chocolate Malt Powder even though it's not the same.

• Like 1
On 1/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, PamPamPam said:

Nut Goodie and Bun candy bars

I have seen both of those at my local Blain’s Farm & Fleet and at Menards (upper Midwest DIY store chain).  I feel like I have seen them elsewhere, at an “odd” store, maybe Tractor Supply Company or Joann Fabric/Michaels type store.

On 8/26/2016 at 5:08 PM, Blergh said:

Kellogg's Danish Go-Rounds! Not only did I love them but I always wished someone had built a merry-go-round stocked with them like in the commercial! YUM!

I  remember the Danish Go Rounds TV commercial and the look and taste of them. We had the blueberry and brown sugar cinnamon ones...as I recall. I'd definitely buy those again!

• Applause 1
On 10/28/2018 at 4:59 PM, DeLurker said:

My daughter recently discovered the wonders of Carnation Instant Breakfast, but we can't get the variety pack in my area and I am seriously bummed over that.

I never knew they had an eggnog flavor.  I'm not sure how I would have felt about it, but I'm not sure how I feel about eggnog anyway.

My husband rediscovered Carnation Instant Breakfast a few years ago. They sell it at Walmart near us. It's a change from oatmeal, which he mostly has in the fall and winter. He  just can't face eggs first ting in the morning

I know exactly what you mean. i've managed to live a while and  never tried eggnog. It just doesn't appeal to me.

• LOL 1
On 10/4/2018 at 4:08 AM, Bunnygirl said:

I also miss Nabicos Royal Lunch Milk Crackers, and their Brown Edges Wafers.  There’s a suitable substitute for the milk crackers usually available in the international food section of Meijers, or World Market called “Burton’s Rich Tea Biscuits.”  And I was thrilled when they started making Bomono’s Turkish Taffy again!  And speaking of Jello 1-2-3, did anyone else like “Whip N Chill?  It was my first experience with  any kind of mousse and I loved it.  I think my mom bought it so much because it had fewer calories than pudding.

I grew up having Nabisco Royal Lunch Milk crackers! We bought them until we couldn't find them in the stores anymore. When I was 10 or 11 I was allowed to drink tea on Saturday mornings and really milky coffee on Sunday mornings and we quickly dipped those crackers in both.

I'm in New England and Stop & Shop here sells Heritage Classic Lunch Milk Crackers. Not as good and a bit thinner; $5 a box, too. Amazon sells some look a like product, but it doesn't bear the Nabisco logo. 4 boxes for $25

I remember Whip N Chill too!

• Like 1

Reposting from Pet Peeves:

I am peeved that the Domino's Brownulated sugar is no longer being sold in large bags.  Now they're just selling it in small shaker dispensers, which I don't like, and they've renamed it Pourable Brown Sugar.  They have a poorly designed spout that lets too much sugar flow out at once.  Not good for sprinkling on my oatmeal.   I have glass dispensers like the ones you get at a diner, and I've always transferred from the bags to the dispensers.  Now I'm pouring the whole Domino dispsenser into my glass dispenser.  Phooey.  (I've always used it for baking too, as I've not wanted to deal with the hardened regular brown sugar.  I would have to buy a fresh bag for any baking project if I didn't use the Brownulated.

They are selling bags of the Demarara or Turbinado sugar with the big crystals, but that's not what I want. 

I checked their web site and emailed a complaint.  Maybe they'll send me coupons for free sugar.

I'm trying to read the whole thread so I don't bring up things thoroughly discussed, but I'm only on page 10. Life has  interfered with my reading.

There were  a couple or reminiscences of Howard Johnson's. When I was a child we had one quite near our house. Sometimes when my mum  was driving me to school we'd stop for breakfast.

I too remember their chicken croquettes! I even remember them being sold in the frozen section of the super market and maybe one or two other selections. Clam strips come to mind, in those bright orange boxes. I remember the fish fry dinners at the restaurant, they might have been on certain days of the week?

That was the first place I tried mint chocolate chip ice cream, too. I haven't run across it yet but did anyone mention those chocolate lolly pops at the checkout that had a super thin layer of white on top with brown scrimshaw type designs?

Seeing petitions to bring back discontinued  food  items I looked up  Weaver Chicken Croquettes, which I used to buy occasionally. They were really decent. You baked them in the oven and put the pouch of gravy in a pot of boiling water to heat. I was shocked to see only 10 people had signed!

Maybe people didn't like the fact you still had to make your own sides, and they thought it wasn't that much less effort than cooking a whole meal? I always made mashed potato and veg with them.Those have been gone for a few years.

https://www.change.org/p/don-d-king-bring-back-weaver-chicken-croquettes?source_location=search

This favorite product just disappeared from the frozen section of supermarkets last year? Friendly's Wattamelon Roll.  Is anyone else a fan? It's an ice cream roll and when you cut a slice it's a perfect half circle with  white lemon sherbet  comprising the  outer edge barely dusted w/ green sugar to represent the rind. The middle contains vivid pink watermelon sherbet with semisweet chocolate chunk seeds  throughout. It wasn't even a summer item last year :(

https://www.change.org/p/bring-back-the-friendly-s-wattamelon-roll

• Like 4
59 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Jacques turned down the chance to be White House chef, at the request of Jacqueline Kennedy, to take the job at HoJo's. His memoir The Apprentice is a very good read.

Yes, I read that!  Aftr having had the same position for two heads of state in France.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2023 at 9:08 AM, SuprSuprElevated said:

One of my favorite IG follows, Jacques Pepin', a native born and classically trained French chef, was hired by HoJo in 1960 to develop recipes for their restaurants.  He worked for them for 10 years. I only fairly recently became aware of this, and was sort of surprised.

jacquespepin

I did know that, because I am a nut for all things Howard Johnson’s. The “Beef Burgundy” that appeared on their menu in the mid-60’s was his creation. It was very good.

• Like 3

Reading about Scott Adams and the dropping of Dilbert in many newspapers taught me about The Dilberito. Did anyone here ever have one? It sounds like a good idea--a healthy burrito--badly done. When its own creator talks about how much flatulence you will have, there's a problem.