GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, KungFuBunny said:

I don't know if I mentioned these 2 items

Cadbury Fingers

637690.jpg

Planters Peanut Bar

81eKHB2Ym9L._SL1500_.jpg

Can't think of a substitute for the first, but the Peanut Bar reminds me of a PayDay bar, which are still made. Maybe try that?

• Useful 1
On 5/26/2020 at 7:22 PM, justspiffy said:

E563736D-05AB-4888-9DB9-0EA27910F435.jpeg
 I loved these, can’t find a decent substitute.

Have you tried Crunchmaster 5 seed crackers? I get them at Sam’s but Walmart has smaller pouches of them in the deli section (usually not in the cracker aisle.) https://www.samsclub.com/p/5-seed-multigrain-20-oz/prod18640215
I have several neighbors and my sister hooked on them. And they are delicious with hummus. I’ve only tried this variety. When school was in session I would do a healthy snack day for the staff occasionally and I always had hummus cups with these crackers in a snack bag and individually wrapped cheese, fruit, nut packs, and lots of other stuff. The staff loved the crackers. I hope you have an opportunity to try them.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Have you tried Crunchmaster 5 seed crackers? I get them at Sam’s but Walmart has smaller pouches of them in the deli section (usually not in the cracker aisle.) https://www.samsclub.com/p/5-seed-multigrain-20-oz/prod18640215

I no longer have a Sam’s membership, and rarely go to Walmart (Target is closer), but maybe I’ll check them out sometime. I just miss those sesame seed Pepperidge Farm crackers. They used to also come in a trio package, I believe.

Are there still Abba Zabbas? (Am I spelling that correctly?) I remember as a kid buying one for 10 cents and for some reason we always slapped them really hard against something to break them up into pieces before eating. (I don't know why we just didn't start at one end and bite into them rather than breaking them first.) I have not seen one for decades...

On 6/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, isalicat said:

Are there still Abba Zabbas? (Am I spelling that correctly?) I remember as a kid buying one for 10 cents and for some reason we always slapped them really hard against something to break them up into pieces before eating. (I don't know why we just didn't start at one end and bite into them rather than breaking them first.) I have not seen one for decades...

Abba Zabbas were one of my favorites! I am definitely going to check out Amazon!

• Love 2

I can't believe nobody's mentioned BBQ Fritos. BBQ Fritos! They discontinued this flavor a couple years ago and they just REFUSE to say why. I even saw a petition online to bring them back (which I signed, lol). Now, apparently they did bring them back earlier this spring for a limited time, but they were exclusive to Dollar General stores for some odd reason. I never found them at any of the stores in my area. I just can't understand why Frito Lay would get rid of arguably their most popular flavor. I miss them so much.

Also, does anyone remember a product called Suddenly S'mores? They were pre-packaged, pre-made s'mores that you stuck in a microwave for a few seconds. The marshamallow would puff up, and the chocolate would melt slightly, and they were just amazing. I remember buying them all the time when I was in high school, but have no idea when they disappeared.

Lastly (for now), I used to love Nabisco Bacon Thins. I would snack on these all the time when I was a kid. They were so good! Nobody seems to make a good bacon flavored cracker anymore, lol.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, InDueTime said:

It's been a while since I've seen Oreo candy bars on the shelves at my local stores. That's a shame, since it was one of my recent favorite candy bars.

Yeah. The Oreo & M&M candy bars didn’t seem to last long here either. I think I can get at least some flavors through Amazon, but I’m not sure.

I was thinking about the microwaveable s’mores the other day.  I was wondering if they had really existed or  if I just imagined them.

I have seen the Oreo candy bars at the local discount grocery outlet recently, but I don’t know if I have ever seen them in a regular grocery store.  The mint ones were good.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I have seen the Oreo candy bars at the local discount grocery outlet recently, but I don’t know if I have ever seen them in a regular grocery store.  The mint ones were good.

My regular grocery story used to carry them at the check out impulse buying shelves, but now they're gone.

• Useful 1

there are two foods from my childhood (90s kid) that I'm trying to remember the names of. One was a snack cake that came with a bite taken out of it, I think it was supposed to be from a shark or a monster. 

The other one was a microwave cake kit, it came with a little tray shaped like mickey mouse and everything you needed to make a microwave cake.

• Useful 1
On 8/22/2020 at 7:54 PM, Kkritter87 said:

there are two foods from my childhood (90s kid) that I'm trying to remember the names of. One was a snack cake that came with a bite taken out of it, I think it was supposed to be from a shark or a monster. 

The other one was a microwave cake kit, it came with a little tray shaped like mickey mouse and everything you needed to make a microwave cake.

They're cookies, not cakes, but they're called Monster Chomps. They're shown about halfway down the page.

No luck locating the Mickey Mouse microwave cake kits, but there are plenty of pans shaped like Mickey Mouse out there. I'm not sure how they would work in a microwave, though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was watching a cooking show recently where the host was making spaetzle. It reminded me that I miss Bird's Eye green beans and spaetzle with Bavarian sauce.  

Nice to know someone else remembers those Bavarian green beans! I mentioned them in my first post on this thread back in 2014!

• Love 1
On 8/1/2020 at 6:28 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Yeah. The Oreo & M&M candy bars didn’t seem to last long here either. I think I can get at least some flavors through Amazon, but I’m not sure.

Good news. I just saw the fun size Halloween version of the Oreo candy bars at the dollar store the other day and bought some. I figured, I don't know when they'll be around again. With this pandemic, a lot of brands and products are being discontinued.

Edited by InDueTime
Grammar
  • Love 2
On 7/30/2020 at 10:35 PM, Giuseppe said:

I can't believe nobody's mentioned BBQ Fritos. BBQ Fritos! They discontinued this flavor a couple years ago and they just REFUSE to say why. I even saw a petition online to bring them back (which I signed, lol). Now, apparently they did bring them back earlier this spring for a limited time, but they were exclusive to Dollar General stores for some odd reason. I never found them at any of the stores in my area. I just can't understand why Frito Lay would get rid of arguably their most popular flavor. I miss them so much.

Also, does anyone remember a product called Suddenly S'mores? They were pre-packaged, pre-made s'mores that you stuck in a microwave for a few seconds. The marshamallow would puff up, and the chocolate would melt slightly, and they were just amazing. I remember buying them all the time when I was in high school, but have no idea when they disappeared.

Lastly (for now), I used to love Nabisco Bacon Thins. I would snack on these all the time when I was a kid. They were so good! Nobody seems to make a good bacon flavored cracker anymore, lol.

I want Fritos Wild n mild ranch

• Love 1
On 8/31/2020 at 7:18 PM, chessiegal said:

I was watching a cooking show recently where the host was making spaetzle. It reminded me that I miss Bird's Eye green beans and spaetzle with Bavarian sauce.  

Wow...I *loved* those beans & spaetzle. The sauce made the difference.

I'm sad to say that no supermarket in my area is selling B&M baked beans in the little brown glass jars. They were the real deal, IMO, of Boston baked beans. I emailed the company & was told some stores outside my area are still carrying them. Guess I'll have to go on a road trip one of these days to stock up. Even the B&M beans sold in cans just aren't quite right.

• Love 3

I loved Tab.  I bought it off and on until about a dozen years (or so) ago when I stopped drinking soda.  However, I do have a can on my desk at work.  I wonder if I can get millions of $$$ for it...  🙂 

• LOL 2

Does anyone remember Snappies?  They were the most indescribably wonderful cocktail snacks, popular in the 1950s and 1960s. My sister and I used to sneak them from the bowl when our parents had people over for drinks.  They haven’t been made for years, but the memory will never fade.

I’ve also been trying for years to match the unique taste and texture of Callard and Bowser toffee, but nothing else comes close.

• Useful 1

Here are a couple I haven't seen mentioned (and if they were, I missed it and apologize in advance!):

Do you (universal you!) remember when DelMonte had the Snack Pack puddings in a can? It had the aluminum lid and tab to pull, and the pudding tasted so much better to me than the plastic cups used now! (Especially the chocolate flavor!) Here is a picture:

Pudding in a can!

Also, in the '80s, Keebler made Elfwich cookies, but they are not the same cookies that used the name now. They looked like Oreos, except the filling was dark chocolate! I recall much was made in that said filling allegedly used pudding in the recipe.

Here is a YouTube commercial about it!

Finally, do you recall frozen to fresh donuts by Morton in the 1970s? (They also did Fried Chicken TV dinners!) Wee little me loved those donuts!

• Love 5

Snack Pack pudding totally tasted better in cans.

ETA:  I don’t remember the donuts, but seeing the commercial, all I can think is “She’s putting it on the rack without a tissue?  Ewww!😛

Edited by smittykins
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 12/24/2020 at 8:00 AM, smittykins said:

Snack Pack pudding totally tasted better in cans.

ETA:  I don’t remember the donuts, but seeing the commercial, all I can think is “She’s putting it on the rack without a tissue?  Ewww!😛

I loved those puddings in the can and also those elf wich cookies

• Love 2
On 12/24/2020 at 4:43 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Here are a couple I haven't seen mentioned (and if they were, I missed it and apologize in advance!):

Do you (universal you!) remember when DelMonte had the Snack Pack puddings in a can? It had the aluminum lid and tab to pull, and the pudding tasted so much better to me than the plastic cups used now! (Especially the chocolate flavor!) Here is a picture:

Pudding in a can!

Also, in the '80s, Keebler made Elfwich cookies, but they are not the same cookies that used the name now. They looked like Oreos, except the filling was dark chocolate! I recall much was made in that said filling allegedly used pudding in the recipe.

Here is a YouTube commercial about it!

Finally, do you recall frozen to fresh donuts by Morton in the 1970s? (They also did Fried Chicken TV dinners!) Wee little me loved those donuts!

With respect, Del Monte’s canned pudding is/was just called “Pudding Cup” (I Googled the name because I knew Hunt’s made Snack Pack); Hunt’s made, & still makes, Snack Pack pudding. I think Jell-O may be the best pudding of this type though.

I remember the Morton Frozen Donuts. My mom got them at least once, maybe more. I can’t remember if they were good or not, compared to a donut shop version.

• Useful 2
On 12/24/2020 at 4:43 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Pudding in a can!

I work for a company that makes pudding (Not Con Agra, the Snack Pack makers), and you are correct-pudding does taste better out of a can.  We have extensive blind product cuttings where the canned is pitted against plastic, and can wins every time.  The minute you put the can in front of the customer, they immediately choose plastic.  

Related to this, compare queso from the jar against cheese sauce from a can (Frito Lay has a really good one).  Can wins.  It's just not as pretty.  (In this case, it's the process, not the packaging, that makes the difference).

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 1/2/2021 at 2:36 PM, Blergh said:

I miss Kellogg's Danish Go Rounds and used to wish there was a theme park where one could ride a spinning table and eat said pastries!  LOL

Being on that merry go round eating said pastries would make me sick lol

8 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

As I remember, it used to be a Breyer’s product. I wonder why Good Humor makes it now?

Because they are both owned by Unilever and Good Humor is part of Unilever’s “Heartbrand” the same logo with a gazillion different names depending on where you live and that’s the brand it’s been sold under other places. It’s originally a UK product from Wall’s also owned by Unilever.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/12/2021 at 6:08 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Okay you guys I just got my 24 pack of BarNone candy bars from Amazon. We shall see....

My husband loves those bar None, I think they are gross. He finds them at the corner store.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

Does anybody know if Entemenns still makes their cookies and packages them like their donuts and no, I don't mean packaging them in packs and putting them in a closed box.

I haven't seen them. There's not much variety outside of donuts and their crumb cakes stuff where I am. I looked on their website and was surprised to see so much of their other stuff still on there. I thought they quit producing a lot of it. I put my zip code in their locator for a few items with no results within 20 miles from me,

Edited by Jaded