Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

There was a cookie I loved by Nabisco

Chocolate Snaps and Chocolate Chip

LL

They came in a small box about the size of the Animal Crackers but without the string. I never saw them in a box box. When you opened the box, there was an inner wax lined paper container, My mom used to loop a piece of string through, tie a knot at the top and staple the sides to hold in place. Pocketbook for a toddler.

• Love 8
(edited)

These are not foods necessarily discontinued but I don't see them anymore.

Haagen-dazs Pralines N Cream. 2 years ago I had no problems finding this flavor. When I stopped seeing it I asked my local grocery chain to order them and they told me it was discontinued. I tried other grocery stores as well as going to the local Haagen-daaz ice cream store - can't find it. I've gone on line and can buy it but who wants to have ice cream fed exed?

When I used to travel to Missouri and Illinois - the McDonalds in that area carried their version of the Hot Apple Pie. They had hot coconut cream pies and peach cobbler..same boxing and outer crust. The coconut cream pie is sooooo good.

I agree with everyone that says some of the foods still available from youth taste "different" now. Is it because our taste palettes have changed or is it the different kind of preservatives they are using now? Don't know but Twinkies don't taste the same as they used to.

Tasty Cakes had a chocolate cupcake similar to the Hostess Cupcakes but the cake part - the chocolate was darker and had a richer taste.

Edited by KungFuBunny
  • Love 1
On 3/4/2017 at 2:48 PM, Blergh said:

All this talk in the Pet Peeves re bad eggs got me to thinking about something I used to frequently see on Chinese restaurant menus way back in the 1970's as a kid but I haven't seen in a long time: Thousand Year Old Eggs!

Despite my late father's encouragement re expanding my culinary repertoire back then, I don't recall ever actually TRYING one. However; even back then I used to wonder how they possibly could have KNOWN said eggs had been buried '1000 years' and been able to keep track of them through wars, famines, floods, etc. but since then I realize that this was just a tag to let folks know they'd been buried a while. Has anyone here seen any in a while and/or actually tried to eat one?

Thousand Year Old Eggs as you said is just the "name" it was given. The way I describe it is it's "pickled". I don't know what the brine is that the whole egg is left to sit it and how long it stays before being covered with dirt and then placed in an urn for a period of time. The process is similar to the way certain cheeses are made and left in caves to "mature".  The main dish this is used in is "congee" which is like a rice porridge - not as thick. The egg itself is boiled, and then cut into small pieces and thrown into the congee usually with cooked pork. To most it is not appealing visually, The hard boiled egg - the egg white is a translucent black and the yolk has turned green. It is very tasty and still available in most Chinatowns located across the US. It is usually used to flavor a specific dish and not served as a main dish - no one would ever order a plate of thousand year old eggs. They are also available to buy in an Asian Supermarket but not sold by the dozen as they are expensive, usually in a small box of 4.

Thanks for pointing out another thread (pet Peeves) to discover. I just found this off topic forum.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Dang!  Totally forgot about the Nabisco Chocolate Snaps - an occasional treat from days of yore.  I loved the little cat face on the cookie.

They were super crisp/crunchy and the perfect size for then little me. The chocolate snaps I always thought of as bears and the chocolat chips I always thought were tigers.

I had a childhood friend's mom who used to make a birthday cake using these cookies and whipped cream and slices of a chocolate sponge to make it into the shape of a train...it was sooooo goood. The cookies made the front part of the train and the doors

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Oops!  Snaps were bears!

Oh don't take my word for it. I just thought the chocolate ones were bears - looked like a teddy bear to me. The chocolate chips could just be a regular cat and not a tiger - again this was just the kid me's imagination

Back in the 1970's 7 Eleven sold penny and nickle candies.  One was a red lip stick about the size of a pinky finger and tasted like cherries.  It melted into a paste and dissolved away quickly in your mouth.  I could eat 20 of those things in an afternoon.  Does anyone remember their name or know of a similar candy?

I was going to say I missed those 80's and early 90's potato chips called Tato Skins. Apparently they are still around. I haven't seen them in stores in years though. The wiki for them says they aren't made by Keebler anymore though and are now made by a company called Inventure Foods.

There were some Parmesan cheese crackers that were around in the late 80's early 90's that I loved. I can't remember the name of them and googling every so often for the past few years never helps. I know they existed though because I ate them.  ?

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I was going to say I missed those 80's and early 90's potato chips called Tato Skins. Apparently they are still around. I haven't seen them in stores in years though. 

Tato skins got baked potato appeal because they're made with potato skins that are real. Cheddar cheese and bacon, sour cream and chive, something something something you won't believe your eyes.

Help me. I have issues lol.

The above was from the subcockles of my memory. Here's the commercial.

Edited by theredhead77
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 5/14/2017 at 9:02 AM, KungFuBunny said:

I agree with everyone that says some of the foods still available from youth taste "different" now. Is it because our taste palettes have changed or is it the different kind of preservatives they are using now?

My guess would be the reduction in trans fat. Saturated fats probably taste better, but are very bad for you.

• Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:02 PM, KungFuBunny said:

I agree with everyone that says some of the foods still available from youth taste "different" now. Is it because our taste palettes have changed or is it the different kind of preservatives they are using now?

For me, I think it's a combination of both.

• Love 2

Most Little Debbie Snacks taste completely different from what I remember them tasting like when I was young. There are a couple exceptions to that.

9 hours ago, ariel said:

For me, I think it's a combination of both.

For me too.

Is it also before they knew of the trans fat issues, people were consuming more and therefore the turnover of fresh junk food was higher.

I just remember Twinkies being so soft and fresh tasting.

Now, when you push your finger in one it bounces back to its original form quicker - the spongecake part is harder.

@forumfish - I am Clearly Canadian free and deeply envious of you!  Apparently, the supply my store got sold out in a snap (and I think they just got it yesterday) and I am one of the many saddened villagers who have been rain-checked and will be waiting an estimated 4 weeks for the next shipment.

What flavors did you buy and were they as good as you remembered?  I'm a glutton for punishment...

(edited)
On 5/18/2017 at 6:00 PM, forumfish said:

I just got back from making a sugar run to Cost Plus World Market -- I had a birthday coupon, so I indulged with sodas and chocolate. I got a couple of Coffee Crisp bars, tiramisu and margarita chocolate bars (one each, not combined!), and a couple of bottles of Clearly Canadian (one peach, one raspberry). I love all the retro food and drink they are carrying now. My bank account doesn't, though. Oh, and I got a Fest bourbon cream soda to drink on the way home -- yum, but very sweet.

Someone was asking about Broadway laces -- they had Gerrit Broadway Laces in strawberry for $1.99/pack.

Oh that was me asking about the Broadway laces...now I'm going to have to hunt down someone in Canada to go get some for me and make me the happiest girl in the world!!  Thank you for the information (hug). 

P.S. Has anyone ever tried Sundrop (soda) or IrnBru? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added P.S.
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, forumfish said:

(Bartles and Jaymes, anyone?),

You gave me flashbacks to a hard lesson my friends and I learned:  Do not drink Bartles & James at the beach.  It goes down too easy so you drink more than you normally would.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Has anyone ever tried Sundrop (soda)

I know they sell it in Florida because my kids always thought it was a big treat to have when they went to a family friends house when we are there.  I'm pretty sure they sell it here (Texas) but only in 2 liter bottles.  It seemed like it was a bit more citrus-y version of Sprite.

Not a big soda fan, so while there are usually some cokes or ginger ales (Seagram's only) in my fridge, they are mostly for when I have an upset stomach or a rare treat for the kids.  I prefer the smaller cans or bottles, but can they only sell the Seagram's in the regular sized cans here.

• Love 1
(edited)
On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Mindthinkr said:

P.S. Has anyone ever tried Sundrop (soda) or IrnBru? 

I've had Sundrop. It tasted like Mountain Dew to me, but slightly less sweet. I liked it, but I haven't seen any in a while.

Edited by InDueTime
3 hours ago, forumfish said:

The Clearly Canadian peach was good, but didn't taste quite the same as I remember. It had more of a sparkling mineral water taste, but it could be that my taste has changed, since I used to drink Perrier and the like quite a bit and now rarely do.

For those of you in the States who do not have a Cost Plus, if you have a Hy-Vee, they are supposed to carry Clearly Canadian as well.

Oh, you misunderstood me, I think -- I'm in Texas, not Canada. There are Cost Plus stores in more than half of the states, I think. Not sure where you live.

Aha...I know someone down there and will ask her about getting me some. Oh you have no idea how excited I am about tasting my favorite childhood thing again (tho I shouldn't be too overjoyed as Twinkies, Hostess Cupcakes and so many other things have changed their flavors over the years). Thank you for taking the time to post. 

(I'm in the hurricane prone area of the east coast)

• Love 1
On 5/14/2017 at 8:01 AM, KungFuBunny said:

There was a cookie I loved by Nabisco

Chocolate Snaps and Chocolate Chip

LL

They came in a small box about the size of the Animal Crackers but without the string. I never saw them in a box box. When you opened the box, there was an inner wax lined paper container, My mom used to loop a piece of string through, tie a knot at the top and staple the sides to hold in place. Pocketbook for a toddler.

These remind me of Sunshine Toy Cookies.

21510.0L.png

• Love 1
On 5/19/2017 at 9:30 PM, forumfish said:

Remember Sundance fruit sodas, from the 80s? I loved the kiwi and the cranberry! The labels were pretty and gave the bottles a wine cooler look (Bartles and Jaymes, anyone?), so those of us who didn't drink alcohol in college could drink "cool" looking beverages too. Hee!

Sundance fruit sodas are still around!

Anyone remember Carnation Non-Fat Chocolate Milk Powder?   Years ago, I had moved to a new place adjacent to a family run store.  I never cared for plain Non-Fat

Milk, but when I saw the chocolate version, I had to have it.   It was some of the best I had ever tasted.  I'd make a pitcher of it before work and would come home to an ice

cold glass of heaven!!   Not long after that, it disappeared from the shelves.   Just my luck!!

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, tom655 said:

Anyone remember Carnation Non-Fat Chocolate Milk Powder?   Years ago, I had moved to a new place adjacent to a family run store.  I never cared for plain Non-Fat

Milk, but when I saw the chocolate version, I had to have it.   It was some of the best I had ever tasted.  I'd make a pitcher of it before work and would come home to an ice

cold glass of heaven!!   Not long after that, it disappeared from the shelves.   Just my luck!!

Was that similar to their malted milk?? I used to mix the malted milk powder into my mother's Ensure drinks when she was alive. She had stage iv lung cancer and wouldn't eat anything, but she'd drink the hell out of Ensure with ice cream and malted milk.

• Love 1

Not the Louisiana crunch cake, but you just reminded me of the Entenmann's blackout cake.  Oh, how I loved that cake.  It used to be available only at certain times of the year, and then it was gone permanently.

On 5/22/2017 at 6:49 PM, forumfish said:

Where? When I did a search, all I found was a line of lemonades with stevia -- not the same, sadly.

I'm wrong, it's not Sundance but another sparkling juice, whose name I am blanking on, that I saw at Trader Joe's. But during my search I found out that Izze soda is made by a spin off of the Sundance manufacturer.

• Love 1

The Louisiana Crunch Cake is still listed on Entenmann's website, so it may be worth pursuing. When I read the mention of Blackout Cake above, though, I initially thought the poster had the wrong "E" bakery. Brooklyners of a certain age fondly recall Ebinger's Blackout Cake, as well as a vanilla cake with mocha frosting and chopped almonds coating the sides. The good news if you're a home baker is that Blackout Cake recipes are all over the internet. Recreating the mocha cake may be a little harder, though.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

The Louisiana Crunch Cake is still listed on Entenmann's website, so it may be worth pursuing.

Yeah, I think I've seen the LA cake at my grocery store recently. Maybe they've made it a regional thing?

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

The Louisiana Crunch Cake is still listed on Entenmann's website, so it may be worth pursuing. When I read the mention of Blackout Cake above, though, I initially thought the poster had the wrong "E" bakery. Brooklyners of a certain age fondly recall Ebinger's Blackout Cake, as well as a vanilla cake with mocha frosting and chopped almonds coating the sides. The good news if you're a home baker is that Blackout Cake recipes are all over the internet. Recreating the mocha cake may be a little harder, though.

17 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Yeah, I think I've seen the LA cake at my grocery store recently. Maybe they've made it a regional thing?

It's been gone for some time here but I know it's available elsewhere.

Target website says it's available in San Jose way too far for me and that it's in stores only, not available for shipping. 

Yesterday I did check their website and did the zipcode search. Nope, nothing. I also left a request asking where it was carried near me and got an email response that I would hear from them soon. It is the weekend.

I'll have to try some of the recipes I found on line.

McAlister's Deli used to have a dessert called Kentucky pie. It was a pecan pie with chocolate in it and served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate sauce. You had to go just for that because it was too much to eat after you ate a sandwich. I used to go and have that and sweet tea and read the newest Harry Potter book. For some reason, the restaurant just quit offering it. I was very disappointed.

5 hours ago, auntlada said:

McAlister's Deli used to have a dessert called Kentucky pie. It was a pecan pie with chocolate in it and served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate sauce. You had to go just for that because it was too much to eat after you ate a sandwich. I used to go and have that and sweet tea and read the newest Harry Potter book. For some reason, the restaurant just quit offering it. I was very disappointed.

That's another dessert it's relatively easy to make at home if that's your thing. It's also called Kentucky Derby Pie or Derby Day Pie.

• Love 1

I know this is way too late (probably by several decades) but when Howard Johnson's restaurants still existed, they made the most wonderful key lime cheesecakes.  The slice arrived on your plate frozen but was easy to eat.  Of course, by the time you were getting toward your last bite, it had softened a bit.  I wish I knew how to make it.  And, it was a very pale, pale green.  Love it!

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I know this is way too late (probably by several decades) but when Howard Johnson's restaurants still existed, they made the most wonderful key lime cheesecakes.  The slice arrived on your plate frozen but was easy to eat.  Of course, by the time you were getting toward your last bite, it had softened a bit.  I wish I knew how to make it.  And, it was a very pale, pale green.  Love it!

Maybe this will help:

http://www.brookstropicals.com/blog/easy-make-key-lime-cheesecake/

I haven't eaten Entenmann's Crumb Cake for years and I am having such an urge since reading this thread. I'll have to find it somewhere.

Walmart maybe.

• Love 2

Awhile ago (and my bad for not seeing it) @GreekGeek posted me a link to my favorite childhood candy that I have not seen in 50 years!! Needless to say I've ordered a bunch and will have them by next weekend. 

How nice that we can share these things that we miss and find that occasional reply where someone knows where to find our missing taste. I'm so grateful to that poster. 

• Love 1

The poster admits she overdid the food coloring. It's funny, though--my family and I went to HoJo's continually during road trips in the 60's and 70's, and I never recall seeing key lime cheesecake on the menu. I don't think I ever ordered anything for dessert there other than ice cream, which I do miss. (Mmm...buttercrunch!) But it also surprised me a few years ago when Don Draper on Mad Men said their specialty was orange sherbet--I don't recall anyone ever pointing that out to me. I've also looked for their distinctive pointy ice cream scoop, and I can't find that either.

• Love 1
(edited)

I miss Ho Jo's.  That's where I had my first taste of mint chocolate chip ice-cream.  I was a little kid at the time & thought ice cream only came in chocolate, vanilla, & strawberry. My mother usually bought a box that included all three.

Edited by ariel
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, rcc said:

I always ordered chicken croquettes at HoJos and my favorite ice cream is mint chocolate chip from anywhere.

The Betty Crocker Cookbook (my old one that I was given as a prezzie in the 1970's) has a recipe for them but it takes an overnight refrig sit...way too complicated. After reading this I may have to make them anyway. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The poster admits she overdid the food coloring. It's funny, though--my family and I went to HoJo's continually during road trips in the 60's and 70's, and I never recall seeing key lime cheesecake on the menu.

There were two Ho Jo's in Poughkeepsie, NY back in the day and that's where I'd order that key lime cheesecake.  Maybe it was a local specialty.