Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 9/15/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

I do applaud her for recognizing that it's seemingly incongruent for her to be able to, as Whoopi says, separate the art from the artist in certain cases (Chris Brown, as she cited today) but not for Woody Allen.

Especially, JakeyJokes, since Chris Brown's "infractions" were proven true and Woody's false.  

Adrian Peterson needs to be behind bars instead of free to play his game, or he at least needs to know what it's like to be whipped in the scrotum.

...by someone five times his size!

I just remembered another weird thing. When Nicolle said she is a republican, Ro said to the audience that she liked her, she really truly liked her, and then she said:  it's all real this year, everything's true, if we say it, it's true.

The implication being that in prior years, when they said they all loved each other, they really didn't.

I loved that from RO - confirming that we've all known that love each other was bull.

• Love 1

Especially, JakeyJokes, since Chris Brown's "infractions" were proven true and Woody's false.  

*hopping on a quick soapbox for a sec*  Because there was not enough evidence to convict or prosecute doesn't mean something is proven false.  Child molestation is incredible difficult to prove because children make horrible witnesses and parents often do not want their children to be re-victimized going through a trial.  I am with Rosie, since the allegations and Woody Allen marrying a woman that was in his home as his "daughter", I have not watched a second of anything he has had a part of.  We all have our trigger issues and this one is a total line in the sand for me.  *off soap box*  

• Love 13

Nichole Wallace made the comment that President Obama doesn't like people...... She was challenged by both Rosie O and Whoopi..... and she tried to explain.... but not very well..... I don't think she is going to be coddled...... but I don't think she is going to be bullied either.

They just might be able to have some political discussions

• Love 3
Whoopi was not amused when the audience was chanting "Rosie, Rosie!" when the show opened.  hee

Oh well.  Rosie O is very audience friendly.  I always thought Whoopi came across as a little cold toward the studio audience.  And we have all heard  her talk about not liking fans "bothering" her when she gambling or peeing or whatever.

Nichole Wallace made the comment that President Obama doesn't like people

To which people was Nicholle referring to?  Because the party Nicholle represents has made no secret they don't like President Obama.  In fact they have made it blatantly obvious they hate him.

• Love 10

I must have missed Nichole saying that Obama didn't like people in all the back and forth.  I heard her saying that Obama is good with people while the Clintons are better with the big stage and that is why the Clintons don't like Iowa and Obama does.  

I'd be interested if they get on a Hot Topics discussion of ISIS and hear what her thoughts are.  I really like having her on the show because while she shared a view of the right that I often do not agree with, I find her very intelligent and respect her.  I got the same impression from the other women at the table (which let's be honest...are as liberal as liberal gets.)

• Love 2

I actually spluttered water when Whoopi said most Torontonians will tell you that's he done a great job about Rob Ford. That is not factually correct. Why did they bleep Nicolle's mention of the dream, it seems like she was saying his name?

Nicolle did say Obama didn't like people. I understand what she was saying (not sure if it's true of Obama). She did explain it badly. And Rosie reacting with Kanye's quote about George Bush doesn't care about black people. That is a completely different thing. I can't believe Rosie doesn't get the difference. Nicolle wasn't saying that Obama doesn't care about people, just he's not as much of a people person, as gregarious as some politicians. At least, that's how I took it.

• Love 6

Finally, the beginnings of an edge-of-your-seat political discussion and Whoopi puts the kibosh on it to discuss Cris Judd. Wonderful. :(

Yes.  Sigh.  And right before she switched topics she said something like 'Shall we move on?' and when Rosie P. (and maybe Nichole)  said 'Yes,' Rosie O. said 'Really?'  She totally did not want to stop the discussion but since everyone is being so overly cautious so far, on they go to .... Cris effing Judd. Yawn.

I see they are having only a couple of the ladies do the interviews.  That's probably going to work.  Beats throwing them in the middle of the couch and having them be bombarded with random questions from every direction.

I actually spluttered water when Whoopi said most Torontonians will tell you that's he done a great job about Rob Ford. That is not factually correct.

Oh yes.  This.  2 days in and they are already not living up to their promise that they will be more accurate with what they report as fact.  pfft.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2

Whoopi was not amused when the audience was chanting "Rosie, Rosie!" when the show opened.  hee.

I wasn't amused with that either. It's odd to chant the name of just one co-host when it is an ensemble cast (and I'm sure the chanting was for O'Donnel and not Perez). I'm not sure if Whoopi felt insulted that they weren't chanting her name or she thought it was rude that they were excluding the other hosts (although RO tried to include RP by holding up her hand "champion" style). Because she did start chanting Nicole.

I felt like Nicole did the most talking during the Kirsten Dunst interview and Whoopi didn't say much in that segment (although having only 2 people do an interview was better than 4).

Rachel Ray looked like it was difficult to squeeze in behind the coffee table.

I feel like RP changes the way she speaks. It's like one moment she is sitting there enunciating everything she says at the next moment her speech is more rapid, there's more slang and she's snapping her fingers.

• Love 4

Nichole is going to need a little more practice interviewing people. During the Kirsten Dunst interview, she kept accidentally interrupting and talking over her, and it got kinda awkward. It must be difficult to transition from the round table discussion to an actual 1 on 1 interview (or 2 on 1), but she's gonna need time to find her footing on that.

• Love 7

The good is the audience didn't get any food thrown at them and it was better when the hosts walked in at the start.

The bad news is it is weird to have the guest walk through the audience and the little coffee table is still there. That just isn't going to work. Big table please!

• Love 5

I actually spluttered water when Whoopi said most Torontonians will tell you that's he done a great job about Rob Ford. That is not factually correct. Why did they bleep Nicolle's mention of the dream, it seems like she was saying his name?

Nicolle did say Obama didn't like people. I understand what she was saying (not sure if it's true of Obama). She did explain it badly. And Rosie reacting with Kanye's quote about George Bush doesn't care about black people. That is a completely different thing. I can't believe Rosie doesn't get the difference. Nicolle wasn't saying that Obama doesn't care about people, just he's not as much of a people person, as gregarious as some politicians. At least, that's how I took it.

I have heard that more than once...... They say they dont like him personally but they do like his policies. That is the biggest reason he keeps getting elected.

I wasn't amused with that either. It's odd to chant the name of just one co-host when it is an ensemble cast (and I'm sure the chanting was for O'Donnel and not Perez). I'm not sure if Whoopi felt insulted that they weren't chanting her name or she thought it was rude that they were excluding the other hosts (although RO tried to include RP by holding up her hand "champion" style). Because she did start chanting Nicole.

I felt like Nicole did the most talking during the Kirsten Dunst interview and Whoopi didn't say much in that segment (although having only 2 people do an interview was better than 4).

Rachel Ray looked like it was difficult to squeeze in behind the coffee table.

I feel like RP changes the way she speaks. It's like one moment she is sitting there enunciating everything she says at the next moment her speech is more rapid, there's more slang and she's snapping her fingers.

I noticed that too.... when she is giving her opinion she is more articulate.... but when she is telling a story.... that is when she speaks faster.

Returning to Woody - I used to make a point to avoid the story.  I enjoy Woody's movies and didn't want that tainted.  However, a friend dragged me into the details and I have to say, Woody is creepy and I believe all of the allegations.  Unfortunately, Mia herself wasn't exactly a four star mother in her behavior as well, so it was easy for the case to get confusing.  But while Rosie O bugs me, I like that she put Woody on blast, while also acknowledging it's hypocritical that she still enjoys Chris Brown.  

• Love 2

Regarding Obama, I did read an article recently stating that he is somewhat of a loner.  It's not really that far-fetched to say that he doesn't like people.

I don't know which Rosie the audience was cheering for, but if it was O'Donnell, she probably paid them to come cheer just to yank Whoopi's chain and feed HER ego.

• Love 2

I was prepared to not like the new View because I don't care for RO and RP's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard and I don't know Nicole. So I watched today and I was surprised that, so far, I like the show.

I thought it was rude of the audience to chanting RO's name but she did try to include RP and the other hosts in the adulation. So good for her.

RP seems to be trying to keep her voice one level and enunciating well.

Nicole seems awkward to me. She said ' can I say that? ' a couple times and Whoopi seemed uncomfortable when Nicole was talking about Rob Ford dying. She also forgot to plug Kirsten Dunst's show at the end of her interview too. Whoopi had to quickly say it.

Hopefully, Nicole will get more comfortable as time goes on.

I like that they only had two people interview Kirsten. I always felt sorry for guests who had to have 4-5 people interviewing them at once.

I am not sure I like the little coffee table. Rachel, the food and everyone else looked crowded.

• Love 1

Haven't watched today's show yet. Please tell me the food segment did not resemble anything from the past.

I don't think so (I hadn't watched many food segments before). But Rachel had a sample in front of each co-host (she made them each something different based on what she thought they'd like or what she knew they'd like). RP asked somebody if they could eat the food and then they ate while Rachel was talking. RP asked a couple of questions but I didn't see anybody reaching over each other or stuffing a bunch of food in their mouths.

• Love 4

Roger from Ohio, I see what you're referring to, I think. As a city councillor, Rob Ford was re-elected and liked by many people in his ward. I'm talking about him as the 'crack smoking mayor' of all of Toronto. He is a one term Mayor, who was trailing in the polls when he dropped out last week due to health issues. Most pollsters and pundits did not think he would be re-elected for a second term. (Of course, we will never know for sure.). He is expected to be re-elected as councillor in his old ward however.

• Love 2

Oooof! That was rough. Not that I am interested in what she has to say but I don't think Nicole Wallace is going to get up the nerve to take on Elizabeth's old part.

They all look worn out except for Whoopi.

The new Republican is obviously one of those RINOs (Republican in name only). What a repulsive show. How can you talk about child abuse and domestic violence and then joke about slapping someone? Idiots.

Haven't watched today's show yet. Please tell me the food segment did not resemble anything from the past.

Happy to say it did not. Whoopi was stuffing her mouth while telling us to take time to enjoy the view but at least a former host wasn't there digging in with her fingers while ecstatically moaning.

Another note was that RR was overly self-promoting but precisely to the point. Again, at least former host wasn't there to incorrectly inform us the same info from those blasted blue cards.

• Love 2

Roger from Ohio, I see what you're referring to, I think. As a city councillor, Rob Ford was re-elected and liked by many people in his ward. I'm talking about him as the 'crack smoking mayor' of all of Toronto. He is a one term Mayor, who was trailing in the polls when he dropped out last week due to health issues. Most pollsters and pundits did not think he would be re-elected for a second term. (Of course, we will never know for sure.). He is expected to be re-elected as councillor in his old ward however.

Again, Ro at least said they were going to have facts, but they didn't counter Nicolle when she said she loved Rob Ford, just cuz.  A little research and they could learn about the multitude of allegations against Ford and his family and their connections to a crime syndicate.  The crack smoking is the least of his problems.  But no one on either side had the facts.

I didn't have a problem with the Rosie chanting, I remember when it was Whoopi they were chanting for.  They should have ignored it and moved on, instead we had Whoopi forcing Nicolle to stand, and then Nicolle urging Whoopi to stand while feebly chanting Whoopi.  All kinds of awkward.

The show was better today than yesterday but they have a long way to go.  And crosstalk was also back, including NW telling Ro to let her finish her point.  Many times you could see Ro pulling back on what she wanted to say.  Rosie P was good.

• Love 5

I thought Rosie O was going to swallow her own tongue trying not to flip out when Nicole showed her true colors. Charles Krauthamer being cited as a "god"? Obama a narcissist? There has got to be a better way to discuss these issues. Already disappointed.

• Love 7

Nicolle had some pretty lame moments today. She was so vague with her proclamations. RO asked who Charles K. was and she just said, "He's a god in our world" TWICE before RO insisted that she expand her answer to tell us WHO HE WAS.

Then when RO tried to get her to clarify why she likes Rob Ford, Nicolle just said, "Cuz he's awesome." I think she meant something like, "He's the gift that keeps on giving in terms of funny news stories," but if so, she should have said that.

I was thrilled at the beginning of the Kirsten Dunst interview when Nicolle just said, "Talk about the project" and let Kirsten speak about her movie -- that was a huge stride in the quality of interviews for this show! But then Nicolle ruined it by interrupting & speaking over Kirsten way too much.

• Love 3

So much for no cross-talk. Nicolle's "Obama doesn't like people" comment was pretty inane, but at least she wasn't screeching. And that Dunst interview... The only consolation is we know they could've found worse, I guess? Overall, I'm underwhelmed, but the show's still a huge improvement over last year's scraping the bottom of the barrel. Of course, I don't think I'm in love with anyone on the show, but I lukewarm-like Whoopi and both Rosie's.

• Love 3

I love Ro, and I know it's only day 2, but something is just not right with how she's acting. She seems sad. I don't know, I liked today's show otherwise. I like the colors of the stage.

I couldn't agree more. I'm sure that the heart issues and the weight loss play a huge part. Then there's the depression....

Just seems like a spark missing.  She doesn't smile like she used to.

I like the set. It's more light and airy or something.

• Love 1

Good grief, Nicole had to tell us twice in the first 5 minutes in "our world" meaning the GOP.

I liked RO saying "this is a fact, not an attack." I think she is biting her tongue, and also really sorry she is not the moderator.

Nicole really needs to learn how to pronoun Qatar...it is not pronounced gutter.

Don't think I've ever seen Whoopi on the show so animated and interested.

• Love 8

I love Ro, and I know it's only day 2, but something is just not right with how she's acting. She seems sad.

I totally agree.  No one had mentioned it yesterday, so I thought it must be me.  But then again today I noticed that her eyes are very sad and so is her expression.  She wears her heart on her sleeve, so maybe she is still grieving Joan Rivers/Robin Williams.   Also, she is showing enormous restraint and not interrupting.  She asks very pointed questions and I love that.  But then she accepts the response and does not argue.  At this point she is allowing Whoopi to be the know-all be-all.  I would love it if she would give more opinions, but she is playing nice for now.  I have said since the beginning that I don't think the two egos (Ro and Whoopie) can co-exist.  I would so prefer to have Rosie as the Moderator.  JMO.

ETA:

" Don't think I've ever seen Whoopi on the show so animated and interested."

Whoppie looks like the cat that ate the canary.    

Edited by Morgalisa
  • Love 4

I think she is biting her tongue, and also really sorry she is not the moderator.

Also, she is showing enormous restraint and not interrupting. 

It seems she is trying not to take over and she really doesn't know what to do.

These are some of the reasons why I think Rosie is seeming "off" to some people.  It's like she's holding her breath with all of that self-restraint.  I hope she is soon able to find a happy medium somewhere for herself where she doesn't have to take over & run the show but doesn't have to muzzle herself so tightly either.  Knowing that everyone is watching her and is either rooting for her or hoping she loses it probably isn't helping. 

Edited to add: But as a huge Rosie fan, I wouldn't mind at all if she *did* take over & run the show ... since she is the reason I have tuned back in.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 5

Whoopie really does seem a lot better (more alive). than previously, but I agree with maggiemae, I think the best choice for moderator would be Ro.

I agree as well.

Good grief, Nicole had to tell us twice in the first 5 minutes in "our world" meaning the GOP.

Don't think I've ever seen Whoopi on the show so animated and interested.

I can't believe in "their world" that Krauthammer is "a god". Like really? Wow. 

As for Whoopi, I think she knows she's been sleepwalking the last couple of years  and now has to step it up because Rosie could be in her chair 

She asks very pointed questions and I love that. 

Me too. Like when Nicholle said she loved Ford, Ro asked why. Nicholle was (again) very vague, almost like a schoolgirl explaining her crush on someone, but I loved that Ro tried because I was truly interested in knowing as well. 

I think Nicholle will be like Hasselbeck in a couple months. She played the part to get her foot in the door - calm, reasonable, sensible - but I think that will change soon. 

Love Rosie, I just love her presence there. I do think she is holding back, and I like that. I don't want to hear the Bush presidency revisited but I think it's fair to mention him when you are trying to suggest he was great and another president doesn't like people (and yes, she was very clear on saying that)

I am truly loving Rosie P so far. I had reservations about her being a host but so far she seems so knowledgeable. I loved her story about going to Costco and I would have loved to hear her dish more about the pitfalls of celebrity. She seems like she'd have A LOT to say about it. I also appreciated her rebutting Nicholle who said Obama does not like people by saying she's met him and found him very personable. And a thank you to Whoopi for mentioning that from the day Obama set foot in office, Republicans said their only focus was to make Obama a one-term president. Kudos to her for making note of that

I still felt tension and awkwardness today. I was one who poo pooed there would be a Rosie vs Whoopi issue but I think there may be problems. Oh and regarding the whole Whoopi standing up and having Nicholle do the same so people could chant her name (in response to audience saying Rosie, Rosie...), that was such a silly move and I don't know why she'd be pissed.... as banana mentioned up thread, people did the same last season when she would walk out and the other hosts would just play along. 

Whoopi needs to get over herself.

• Love 1

Id have to go back to watch it again..... but when Whoopi was announcing the segment talking about Krauthammer .... it was Whoopi who said.... he is a God in your world.... and Nichole Wallace picked up her comment and repeated it...... They also didnt mention that Krauthammer was a speech writer for Carter's VP Walter Mondale ...... I have always thought Krauthammer was creepy in his views and opinions

• Love 1

Id have to go back to watch it again..... but when Whoopi was announcing the segment talking about Krauthammer .... it was Whoopi who said.... he is a God in your world.... and Nichole Wallace picked up her comment and repeated it...... 

Whoopi started of the segment, said Charles' name, had difficulty with the pronunciation, asked Nicolle to clarify, Nicolle did and said "he's a god in our world", and then Whoopi said, "yes, he's a god in your world". Then Nicolle said something like she should visit their world...

Then a few seconds later Nicolle repeated it once again (he's a god in our world)

Sooo, I guess he's a god in her world. 

Hi Rog ;-)

Edited to add: Nicolle said Obama doesn't love people, but then said he loves "you people" like Rosie, Rosie and Whoopi) because they campaigned for him (Whoopi took exception to that and pointed out to Nicolle that she did not campaign for him and that people need to be careful making assumptions)

. So in short Obama doesn't love people but he loves some people. 

My head is spinning. 

Edited by Stacee
  • Love 6

This is the first time Whoopie has had any competition on this show. She's always been the biggest name and the most popular, surrounded by nit wits, and, Barbara. She is still the biggest name but Rosie Perez is no Jenny McCarthy, Rosie O is more popular, and if Nicholle can get it together, she's no Elizabeth. Don't know that any of this plays a role, but, these 4 just don't seem comfortable with each other. I know it's early, but, something's not working here.

• Love 5

I was annoyed as Rosie with both Nichole and Whoopi saying that crack users aren't fat.  Yes, if all you know about drug use you got from a Made For TV movie from 1984 or Dave Chappelle's comedy skits.  Drug users and abusers come in all shapes and sizes.  

I am glad Rosie is not the moderator.  She is too passionate and opinionated to be the one to moderate a show like The View.  I am really glad her input is back on the show, but I do think it needs to be kept in check by someone else being the moderator.  

• Love 1

It's only day 2, as many have said.  Too soon to predict IMO.  There's gonna be huge shift in tone the first day that Whoopi's out and Ro moderates.  The crowd will whip into a frenzy having Ro back in the mod seat. I know I look forward to it.  Just keeping my fingers crossed that when that happens, hopefully, Ro can retain the current calmer demeanor when she has to go back to second chair.

• Love 2

I agree, shelley1005. While I think Rosie O would be a better moderator in some ways (as far as introductions, transitions, presenting the story clearly before discussion, advertising for guests, etc.), ultimately she would be too overbearing. We know Whoopi also ends up being that way, too, from time to time, but I think Rosie O would be worse in that regard overall because she does want to go to bat over many subjects. I think it's best she's just a regular co-host.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 1

Apparently my expectations aren't that high because I think everything is going rather smoothly two days in. Although they were playing off of bandleaders and sidekicks rather than cohosts, Conan, Jimmy and Seth's first weeks and even months were ROUGH. The Talk sucked forever, most days it still does, but at least Julie and her cohosts have finally developed a rhythm. I think The View is going to be fine.

• Love 12

EXACTLY Milk-Eyed-Mender! I remember the first season of TheTalk, Julie got rid of two co hosts which was a major shock to a lot of people, even the two that she got rid of. This new group she got took a couple seasons, but she kept them, regardless of a lot of complaints I read on TWOP, and look at the Talk now. It has made it. This new View is going to take a lot more time, a lot more critiquing, and a lot more time than just two lousy days.

Sorry for repeating 'a lot more time'

• Love 5

I started re-watching this show since Rosie O has come back on, and I agree w/what others have said in regards to her being more subdued and not all there it seems.  I do think that she needs to be put back as the moderator, but I do understand how tricky it would be to do so since Whoopi isn't just some celebrity they can bump to accommodate Rosie O.  I know that Whoopi and Rosie O are good friends, but I don't see both of them lasting to the end of this season with their egos; I think there will just be one left standing, and I hope it is Rosie O.  Today is what I like when it comes to this show in regards to hot topics being discussed, they were getting somewhere exciting then Whoopi ends it before it gets too good.  

The Kirsten Dunst interview started out great, but good lord the cross talk, that was just horrible.  I know Nicole Wallace is new at that and I know she is learning, but wow, she kept pulling that conversation back to her being Greek.

I want more of Nicole Wallace's stories about her time on the campaign trail and much much more.

I think the new coffee table will be gone in a few weeks b/c like Rosie was saying during the Rachel Ray interview that the setup wasn't working since Rachel had to squeeze her way around the entire table/guests.  With Rosie saying that out loud I think it's a given that the coffee table will be gone pretty soon.

• Love 2

Those are really good points.

I think I was expecting a smoother transition because The View is an established program, has been on air for over 17 seasons. However, I do realize that the arrival of new hosts before (like when Rosie came on, or Sherri and then later Jenni came on) happened when the other hosts were already seated and the newbie had to adjust to an already running pattern. This new season bought virtually a clean slate - granted Rosie came back - but we have Rosie P and Nicolle there now. So it's basically 3 new people and all this chemistry that will be meshing.

I will give it time, of course, because I want this to work. I insanely missed the days of The View when Rosie was on and hoped with her return it would be like that again.

I do still feel Rosie would be a better moderator though. She's way more skillful, personable and fun IMO. 

• Love 6