Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 9/15/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Since we keep talking about the egos of the hosts.  Honest answer:  Who do people think is the most famous person on the show?  Not the most talented, but the most famous.  

For me that is an easy answer.  Rosie O'Donnell.  She's loved.  She's hated.  But she's a friggin' huge personality.  

• Love 3

I'd prefer Rosie O as moderator again.  Problem is, if Whoopi isn't the moderator, she might as well leave the show.  Being the moderator is what keeps her paying attention (kind of).  Otherwise, she stares off and detaches.  She's a horrible moderator.

I got the same impression from the other women at the table (which let's be honest...are as liberal as liberal gets.)

I have no idea how Whoopi self-identified, but I'd call her Libertarian.  She hates rules, thinks she should get to do what she wants, and dislikes her money going to taxes.

• Love 6

Wish I could have heard exactly what Nicolle said about Air Force One when she addressed Rachel Ray.  It sounded as if she had been on the plane and found it great...also sounded like bragging--a bit of oneupsmanship.   I think Whoopie had the same impression.  Did you see her quick glance to Rosie, like, "Did you hear that? Did you hear THAT?"

• Love 1

Rosie Perez  is my favorite....she just seems so real. I like Rosie..I like Whoopie...but I love Rosie P :) and Nicole who? I am a libertarian but the minute she started using phrases like "fat crack smoker" I was done. It is perfectly fine to have an opinion....but you're on television now....articulate it a bit better.

Have I mentioned that I love Rosie P?

• Love 8

I think Rosie O evokes a stronger reaction from people, but, I think Whoopie is more famous.

Whoopi is distinctive and is known by a wealth of audiences- When I asked my 63 yr old developmentally disabled client about the latest Teenage Turtle movie- He immediately responded  "Whoopi is in it"

• Love 1

Who do people think is the most famous person on the show?  Not the most talented, but the most famous.  

I think Whoopi is much more famous, except with the morning talk show demographic.  Whoopi has the Emmy/Grammy/Oscar/Tony.  I've seen Whoopi's one woman Broadway show and one of her sold out Comedy Relief shows with Billy Crystal and Robin Williams.  She's pretty laid back these days, happy (I hope) with her gig on The View, but the woman was a juggernaut.

• Love 2

Wish I could have heard exactly what Nicolle said about Air Force One when she addressed Rachel Ray.  It sounded as if she had been on the plane and found it great...also sounded like bragging--a bit of oneupsmanship.   I think Whoopie had the same impression.  Did you see her quick glance to Rosie, like, "Did you hear that? Did you hear THAT?"

I am not a Republican, but I have high hopes for Nicole. I kind of group her with Mary Matalin whom I also like. That said, I really really would like to hear about her trips on Air Force One. I'd love to hear all the little inconsequential gossip about such things. 

Sorry for the double posting. Something funky happened midstream. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 1

I think Whoopi is much more famous, except with the morning talk show demographic.  Whoopi has the Emmy/Grammy/Oscar/Tony.  I've seen Whoopi's one woman Broadway show and one of her sold out Comedy Relief shows with Billy Crystal and Robin Williams.  She's pretty laid back these days, happy (I hope) with her gig on The View, but the woman was a juggernaut.

I don't question that Whoopi is hands down more talented than anyone else on that stage.  She can blow them all out of the water.  It's my opinion that Rosie is more famous and in the reality tv culture we live in...that has little to do with talent (even though I believe Rosie is talented).  Ever since Rosie had her tv show...her name recognition and fanbase went off the chart.  It doesn't surprise me at all that people are chanting her name as the show begins.  Of course, some are excited to have her back and some are just awaiting how long it'll be before she loses it again.  ;)

My DVR didn't record for some reason, and I find it ridiculous that that show isn't yet available On Demand (it ends on 9/12 for me), on ABC.com in full (I don't want to watch segments), or on Hulu.com yet.  Get with the times!  I just don't get it.  Online I'm atleast forced to watch the commercials.

• Love 1

I think Whoopi is paying more attention to the new crew than she has in a while.   She finally has some women who actually have something intelligent to say and it seems like she is more involved.

I feel like Rosie O is the one who is reigning herself in --she seems to be more reserved than she usually is, and I don't think that is a bad thing--it's not the Rosie O'Donnell show, it's a group effort.   I felt like Nicolle is trying to participate more today, and I kind of enjoyed her mentioning she's not a performer when she talked about stand-up--it is different for her than all the others.   Rosie Perez is just a natural--she seems like she's been doing this for years.    She has a lot of different life experiences, and something to say and she does it really well.   

• Love 3

I'm back to The View now that Rosie-O is back.  She SO needs to be the moderator . . . I think Whoopi is dull, dull dull  And she 's already defending the guy who clocked his girlfriend in the elevator. Whoopi really has nothing nothing to say to me that i'm interested in hearing.  I think Rosie-O is behaving herself until the hue and cry becomes a roar for it to be her show.  Love Rosie Perez.

I haven't seen today's show yet but heard on the Daily Beast that Rosie-O stood her ground about something today . . . that's my Rosie-O!!

I enjoyed her character on Game Change or whatever that movie was . . . but other than that . . . zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Love 3

I think the new coffee table will be gone in a few weeks b/c like Rosie was saying during the Rachel Ray interview that the setup wasn't working since Rachel had to squeeze her way around the entire table/guests.  With Rosie saying that out loud I think it's a given that the coffee table will be gone pretty soon.

Good for Rosie! the table needs to go !

Again, the show wasn't awful, LOL! I'm giving them time, unlike The New York Times!

• Love 4

I think Rosie O may be staying quiet to give the new kids an opportunity to find theor own rhythm. I believe she's concentrating on staying quiet to allow them time. It may also be a time for her to gather herself. In any case, I'm enjoying the roll out and wish them all the best. Also, I want to see Whoopi getting a very public comeuppance by any one of the women. She kind of got one yesterday about the football player "spanking" his four year old. Rosie O set her straight. Joy Behar would have shredded Whoops. She hated any kind of corporal punishment for children.

Edited by Notmuchofacook
  • Love 7

I remember the first season of The Chew....the first few weeks were awkward until they found a rhythm....I think it will here with the co-hosts (maybe) and the executive producer and producers.

I'm wondering if the 4am guy is still there....don't think so as the hot topics are better.

It's all new to Whoppi and RO....they weren't on at the same time although both had idiots at the table, it's a higher level now for Whoopi with RO there and no BW....and probably a very new deal for RO.

At least Nicole and Rosie P are far above EH, SS and JM. And no BW!

Actually I would love to know what BW thinks about all this but doubt we ever will.

• Love 6

At first I was "jarred" by the orange squares at the back of the set.   If they could change out that color, everything else looks pretty good--modern, tasteful.  I say "at first," because I couldn't keep my eyes off Nicolle Wallace's LIPS!  She needs to remove the shiny-shiny-shiny and get a less vibrant shade...something better for her coloring.  I don't care that magazines and TV commercials are featuring NEON lips.  She's too pale.    Rosie's lipstick needs an upgrade too.

And...Barbara and Bill are still listed as Executive Producers.  How long must that go on?

I actually didn't mind if Rosie didn't wear shoes OR socks...but she was somehow compelled to play with her feet.  It was just too odd.  I wonder if sock companies rushed to have hundreds delivered to her.

• Love 3

Did I hear the same tune The View always played when the guest walks out? It sure sounded like it.

I heard a more subdued arrangement/version of the exact song they used to use.

On the whole, for two days in, not too terrible. Ro seems subdued and her lips are somehow off. Maybe the weight loss. Whoopie looks like she is trying not to step on toes just yet, as well.

• Love 1

And...Barbara and Bill are still listed as Executive Producers.  How long must that go on?

Sadly, it may go on for as long as the show is on. Even though both are gone and/or have sold their shares, they were the creators and probably had it that they would also get their name on the product even after they left it. Sigh.

• Love 1

Nicolle is not an idiot.*  So I am wondering why she said so many idiotic things today?  After Nicolle's seed-planting assignment**, Rosie mentioned that it could be possible that President Obama might not seem as affable a guy as VP Biden, because after all, he does bear the brunt there.  Nicolle was quick to smack Rosie down and nix that notion by going on to tell us that the division of power is even between the President and the Vice President, that they share equal amounts of power (implying also responsibility).  Really, now?  That is ridiculous.  But, if this is true and she is correct, then would there not be Co-Presidents, instead of a President and a Vice President?  If she is right, I want to contact my alma mater to ask for my money back (for their neglecting to mention this very important fact even once during the years I spent on my studies there which focused heavily on American history).  If she is right, then we were in much more trouble than we ever knew back then when the first President Bush shared an equal amount of power with ...yikes, I can't even finish the sentence.  Let's not even think about it. 

I am truly sorry that Mayor Rob Ford is dealing with serious health issues, as I would be sorry to hear anyone is.  It must be horrifying for him and his family and I hope he makes a full recovery.  That said, the Rob Ford discussion today was ludicrous.  Since she's having no problem calling Rosie out on everything she says (which isn't much, maybe that's why - Rosie could well be dumfounded that Nicolle misrepresented herself just to get the job, as I am suspecting), someone should have called her out as to why she "loves the guy".  Come on Nicolle, be honest, he's a conservative, and that's the only reason you say you "love the guy".  How dare Nicolle speak for all Torontonians?  She may have spoken with a few fellow conservatives who said they were very happy with the job he was doing.  I didn't have a problem with his drug use.  You want to use drugs, then use them.  I did, however, have a real problem with all the lies.  He lied constantly and for a really long time to the people of Toronto.  It got to the point where you just knew you couldn't believe anything he said.  It was offensive to hear Nicolle and Whoopi speak so irresponsibly (and about something they know nothing about - "anyone who's high is okay by me - what a great guy!!").  If you're going to talk Rob Ford, it's really not about the drug use - it's about all the lying.  Not only that, but his bizarre behaviour was embarrassing.  Toronto worked hard for years and years to achieve world class city status - a distinction earned and deserved, yet Mayor Crackhead single-handedly turned it into a laughingstock overnight.  Here's just a small taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SpR70ZHZPw

*  Based on today, I'm reserving my judgment on that one.  I know it's only day two.  I know they all need time to find their niche.  But I am really not liking her right now.  And I wanted to like her.  I really did.

**  The introduction of such a non-story (the President isn't a people lover!) was just a ruse to plant the seeds that Joe Biden is a people lover.  In case he runs for the Democratic nomination.  And anyone the GOP nominates would have a much better chance of beating Joe Biden to the White House than they would Hillary Clinton.  Talking points much, Nicolle?  Expect more.

• Love 6

Maybe Nicole thinks the president and vice have equal powers, because Dick Chaney was the one who ran the show when Bush was prez.  I alway heard that the Vice President didn't really have all the much to do.  

Also, wasn't it sacrilegious for her to call that guy a "god" in her world.  I know that Republicans would have a fit if a Democrat called someone a god.  To them,  that goes against the Christianity this country was founded on.

Add me to the list that thought that Rosie O seemed sad, subdued.  

• Love 5

I think Nicole Wallace talks too much.

I had the show on live in the kitchen today so I was listening more than watching and I heard her talking more than anyone on every subject.   It was a full eight minutes before Rosie Perez said anything, and that was basically telling us she didn't know who Charles Krauthammer was and she wanted to "move on".  I'm not sure why Krauthammer's calling the President of the United States a narcissist was a Hot Topic - he's an old GOP dinosaur in my opinion and trying to stay relevant (he currently writes a weekly column in the Washington Post and appears on Fox News shows) by diagnosing the leader of the free world with a psychiatric condition.  I did crack up when half the table had no idea who Krauthammer was though.  So much for pre-show meetings regarding what the topics will be. 

I realize Wallace has spent the last few years blathering on cable political shows as a "political commentator" but this is The Spew and I'd appreciate if she pulled it back a bit.  Interesting that she said she liked political leaders who were crazy (or something like that) since she served as a senior campaign advisor for the McCain-Palin ticket.  If you haven't seen the movie Game Change check it out.  Sarah Paulson played Wallace and Wallace said it was pretty spot on and made her squirm.  Heh. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 8

Also, wasn't it sacrilegious for her to call that guy a "god" in her world.  I know that Republicans would have a fit if a Democrat called someone a god.  To them,  that goes against the Christianity this country was founded on.

Oh they laughingly refer to Pres. Obama as "The Messiah", as if to suggest liberals think of him as such. So it was surprising to hear Nicolle repeatedly refer to Krauthammer as "their god".

Surprising, disturbing...and creepy. Like whatever he writes and says, they dutifully follow.

And you're right; referring to him in such a way does seem like it would be sacreligious and that would be offensive. But I guess some stuff is overlooked as long as she accuses the president of being narcissitic and not loving people but loving some people.

Edited by Stacee
  • Love 6

Maybe Nicole thinks the president and vice have equal powers, because Dick Chaney was the one who ran the show when Bush was prez

If she thinks that, then she's even more stupid than I thought.  It's not that I had really high hopes, but I have to admit I'm disappointed.  And I'm disappointed that there's never any time for calling her on it; to explore these crazy statements.*  They seem to "go and be right back" much more often than before.  The amount of commercial time probably remains the same, but the frequency seems increased.

One more serious note.  That small child suffered serious injuries at the hands of someone he's supposed to trust the most:  his Dad.  So horribly sad.  That was not discipline, it was abuse and outright assault.  Again, very disappointed.**

On a much lighter note, I believe there's no question Rosie is the most famous. 

*  But if there were more time allotted, would they question her?  Would they call her out?  I'm thinking not.  She's supposed to be the "smart, intelligent" one, we're told.  So don't you dare question her.  Don't even try.  She'll smack you down, and you're not allowed to say anything, you try, and we'll go to commercial break.  Too bad, because she seems dumb as fuck.

**  Two days in, and I'm so disappointed.  I'm thinking this is not the way it was supposed to be.

• Love 3

Finally, the beginnings of an edge-of-your-seat political discussion and Whoopi puts the kibosh on it to discuss Cris Judd. Wonderful. :(

Though the total lack of segue was off-putting, I think that is why Whoopi is in the "first chair" and Rosie is not.  With the potential for things to quickly escalate, I feel Whoopi's role is to keep things under control, especially since talking over each other and smack-downs have been issues for the show in the past.  

Day one, I had never even heard of Nicholle, and she came across as an almost likable personality, but then on day two, she opened up her mouth more, and I'm not all that impressed with what came out.  They seem to be rather quickly reverting to the goading mode.  In my opinion, NW is a (slightly) more intelligent EH.  I really don't see the need to have a token GOP member on the show, since topics that they disagree on quickly deteriorate into full on arguments.  They should just have 4 people who can carry on civil conversation no matter what the topic and leave it at that.  Or mix it up a bit more so that it doesn't have so much of a 3 against 1 feel.  

At any rate, I enjoy RP, RO and WG, but don't think I'll warm up to NW any time soon unless she comes across as her own person rather than spouting talking points for the GOP.

• Love 8

*  But if there were more time allotted, would they question her [Wallace] ?  Would they call her out?  I'm thinking not.  She's supposed to be the "smart, intelligent" one, we're told.  So don't you dare question her.  Don't even try.  She'll smack you down, and you're not allowed to say anything, you try, and we'll go to commercial break.  Too bad, because she seems dumb as fuck.

Maybe - if there was time allotted.  When Wallace was trying to compare Joe Biden's leadership style to Barrack Obama I appreciated when (Ro or Whoopi?) pointed out that Biden has spent almost his entire 40+ year career  on Capitol Hill as a senator and knows how it works.   

Wallace is no intellectual for sure unless compared to Bitsy.    Only two days in, she seems determined to establish herself as some lone Republican voice on the show which seems dumb (as fuck, hahaha) to me since The Spew is not Morning Joe or Crossfire or some other cable political show.  There is enough political divisiveness on the air today and that kind of crap just perpetuates it in my opinion.  

Like salvame, I'd hoped to see  four women who can carry on a civil conversation on any topic, not lob talking points across a coffee table at each other. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

I agree that RosieO is working mightily to keep her natural tendencies to interrupt and speak impulsively in check. There have been a few times already where I've noticed her physically checking herself as she was about to jump in and interrupt. I don't think there's anything upsetting her necessarily, but I do think she's probably pretty nervous about this gig. I think she is acutely aware that the last time around in this venue she took a pretty nasty and public emotional beating (much of which was wildly unfair and incredibly mean in my opinion) that hurt her deeply for a long time. There is also a great deal of scrutiny right now with the premier. I have no doubt all of that is looming large for her in these early days and that she has no desire to become a lightning rod again right out of the gate.

What I have appreciated is the way RosieO is making an almost maternal effort to guide and help out the newbies. Repeatedly both yesterday and today she made a point of prompting them to tell their own stories and asking questions designed to give them the floor and draw them out of their newbie tentativeness.

I would love to see RO back in the moderator chair. She's just so much better at it, but honestly pretty much everyone is better at it than Whoopi. I read somewhere that Whoopi signed a multiyear contract, and I know that Rosie only signed a one-year contract, but the wishful scenario I have in my head is that this is a transition year with Whoopi departing and RO taking over the moderator chair. Then they can bring in a new cohost to represent the currently missing somewhat younger demographic.

Oh Nicolle, that didn't take long. Krauthammer is a god and President Obama is a narcissist who doesn't like people? Really?? And it's not like RO and WG didn't make every effort to give her ample opportunity to clarify that nonsense and she just didn't take it. *facepalm* (BTW, I believe she jokingly said Krauthammer was "a god" not the "God" or their god.)

The Dunst interview. Oh dear. It started out okay and then went sideways in a hurry. I'm willing to cut N slack on this one. I assume that was one of the first times she has been on the interviewer side of a celebrity interview or any tv interview for that matter. Perhaps if Whoopi had bothered to stay awake and participate in prior interviews she might've been capable of righting the ship on this one before it ran aground, but, nope. Aside from getting her into her chair, the RR segment went much better. Not sure making guests walk that long gauntlet to the stage is a particularly great idea though. It seems a bit long and uncomfortable.

Finally, RosieP - I have to say I didn't know what to expect because I just don't know her all that well, but so far I find her absolutely delightful. Accomplished, smart, funny and charming, with a personal story that I'd like to hear more of. She may just turn out to be a natural at this.

• Love 10

Nicole has appeared many times on Morning Joe and been part of an ensemble interviewing someone. Not that Joe doesn't run a tight ship.

I think NW is unaware of much outside of politics and out of her realm. She isn't "feeling it" nor me her. Haven't found anything intelligent or charming at all with NW.

Probably  time for the show to discuss a little about their families and friends and what they like to do in time off.....make it more personable and gain some identity with the viewers.

IOW....lighten it up a little bit.

• Love 4

There was only one rehearsal, helping explain the awkwardness. I'm disappointed in ABCD (even knowing its ABCD) if they really looked at this as a relaunch, they should have spent the money to do two weeks of practice shows the way a new talk show does. Then again, apparently the set was barely finished in time for taping.

Regarding Obama, I did read an article recently stating that he is somewhat of a loner.  It's not really that far-fetched to say that he doesn't like people.

That's an introvert, someone who needs some alone time to recharge. That is not someone who doesn't like people. The context Nicolle was using she was describing a misanthrope (in addition to calling him a narcissist). Since she never managed to get particularly articulate on the issue, it sounded like the usual pattern of come up with the insults first, figure out why you're using those words afterward.

And from what I've read and seen of him Krauthammer is a bomb thrower, its just that he's surrounded by people who seek out more attention by throwing bigger bombs. It's kinda like what Nicolle tries to do.

I don't know which Rosie the audience was cheering for, but if it was O'Donnell, she probably paid them to come cheer just to yank Whoopi's chain and feed HER ego.

Rosie O'Donnell had a reign as the host of the top talk show when daytime ratings were much bigger, her year on The View (while I wasn't a fan) was something her fans still discuss passionately and is a big enough deal that her return generated weeks of coverage. In today's news media, that only happens if there are a significant base who will read every bit of that coverage.

You may not like her, but she is an actual big deal. It is very possible for her to have dedicated fans who don't need to be paid.

I'm enjoying both Rosies but I think in the long term Rosie P is going to break out. I've long admired her because if you listen to what she says she's very intelligent and sensible. Whoopi is a talented actor but she's established a streak of dismissing victims ("rape rape", dogfighting as a part of black culture, giving a child a "bop" that leaves him bleeding) and is overall not good at discussions.

• Love 15

I agree that RosieO is working mightily to keep her natural tendencies to interrupt and speak impulsively in check. There have been a few times already where I've noticed her physically checking herself as she was about to jump in and interrupt. I don't think there's anything upsetting her necessarily, but I do think she's probably pretty nervous about this gig. I think she is acutely aware that the last time around in this venue she took a pretty nasty and public emotional beating (much of which was wildly unfair and incredibly mean in my opinion) that hurt her deeply for a long time. There is also a great deal of scrutiny right now with the premier. I have no doubt all of that is looming large for her in these early days and that she has no desire to become a lightning rod again right out of the gate.

What I have appreciated is the way RosieO is making an almost maternal effort to guide and help out the newbies. Repeatedly both yesterday and today she made a point of prompting them to tell their own stories and asking questions designed to give them the floor and draw them out of their newbie tentativeness.

I would love to see RO back in the moderator chair. She's just so much better at it, but honestly pretty much everyone is better at it than Whoopi. I read somewhere that Whoopi signed a multiyear contract, and I know that Rosie only signed a one-year contract, but the wishful scenario I have in my head is that this is a transition year with Whoopi departing and RO taking over the moderator chair. Then they can bring in a new cohost to represent the currently missing somewhat younger demographic.

Oh Nicolle, that didn't take long. Krauthammer is a god and President Obama is a narcissist who doesn't like people? Really?? And it's not like RO and WG didn't make every effort to give her ample opportunity to clarify that nonsense and she just didn't take it. *facepalm* (BTW, I believe she jokingly said Krauthammer was "a god" not the "God" or their god.)

The Dunst interview. Oh dear. It started out okay and then went sideways in a hurry. I'm willing to cut N slack on this one. I assume that was one of the first times she has been on the interviewer side of a celebrity interview or any tv interview for that matter. Perhaps if Whoopi had bothered to stay awake and participate in prior interviews she might've been capable of righting the ship on this one before it ran aground, but, nope. Aside from getting her into her chair, the RR segment went much better. Not sure making guests walk that long gauntlet to the stage is a particularly great idea though. It seems a bit long and uncomfortable.

Finally, RosieP - I have to say I didn't know what to expect because I just don't know her all that well, but so far I find her absolutely delightful. Accomplished, smart, funny and charming, with a personal story that I'd like to hear more of. She may just turn out to be a natural at this.

Great post tribbletrouble, although I don't share your opinion of Rosie P but I'm open to her changing my mind.  

There was only one rehearsal, helping explain the awkwardness. I'm disappointed in ABCD (even knowing its ABCD) if they really looked at this as a relaunch, they should have spent the money to do two weeks of practice shows the way a new talk show does. Then again, apparently the set was barely finished in time for taping...

...And from what I've read and seen of him Krauthammer is a bomb thrower, its just that he's surrounded by people who seek out more attention by throwing bigger bombs. It's kinda like what Nicolle tries to do.

Rosie O'Donnell had a reign as the host of the top talk show when daytime ratings were much bigger, her year on The View (while I wasn't a fan) was something her fans still discuss passionately and is a big enough deal that her return generated weeks of coverage. In today's news media, that only happens if there are a significant base who will read every bit of that coverage.

Thanks for the info about the lack of prep for the re-launch Wax Lion.  I think that explains alot of the awkwardness of the first two shows.   I'm willing to give it some time to find a groove - mostly because of love Rosie O'Donnell.   Her hugely successful talk show is exactly why I think she should have had Whoopi's moderator seat.  That and like TribbleTrouble, I think anyone is a better moderator than Whoopi.  Hell, I even thought Sherri and Jenny did a better job than Whoopi.  

Whoopi's story about (almost) being late for work was laughable.  I've always thought she cut it super close, wake, bake and rolling in 15 minutes before airtime.  Or maybe that's exactly why she was so worried about the traffic - she doesn't leave a cushion.  

• Love 3

And...Barbara and Bill are still listed as Executive Producers. How long must that go on?

Sadly, it may go on for as long as the show is on. Even though both are gone and/or have sold their shares, they were the creators and probably had it that they would also get their name on the product even after they left it. Sigh.

This is true. Example: NCIS-the show creator/runner was ousted in the fifth season, but his name remains as an Executive Producer.

I suppose I'm easily pleased, because I've been enjoying the last two days. Hell, it's Rosie O'Donnell; and like someone else posted upthread, I'm finding Rosie Perez such a delight as well.

And when Nicolle was shooting off her mouth like  an uninformed nimrod, something I'm sure she's not; uninformed that is, when she was blathering on about how the office of the President and the Vice President was the same, how Biden is so much better a people person, I was yelling, 'you maroon, that's because he was a member of Congress for over 40 fucking years!' And it was Whoopi that pointed that out.

And sorry, but I know what a narcissist is, and President Obama is as far from a narcissist as a narcissist could possibly be. I suppose I should be grateful that Nicolle didn't trot out how President Obama had "6 years! 6 Years! SIX YEARS!"* to fix the country and failed.

*Something she kept saying over and over and over and OVER again when she was on Real Time earlier in the year.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

I haven't been a regular watcher in years, even though I liked Joy and Whoopi--the cross talk drove me nuts. No one was ever allowed to finish a point she was trying to make before someone would yell over her with their own opinion. But you guys have encouraged me to give it another try.

RosieP does have a great story. She was on The Talk as a guest about a year ago, and she started telling a beautiful tale about how she overcame adversity in her family, but she was never allowed to finish. The hosts took over with their own anecdotes and stories, so I never got to hear Rosie's.

I'm also glad to hear that she's contributing to meaningful discussions and become something other than the "hot and overly-sexual Latina" trope that she's been limited to in most of her movie roles.  

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

I haven't seen much of Nicole so I was pretty unbiased. That was until she started sounding like an idiot with her Obama statements. I think I know what she was trying to say but she just came off like a spouting goof to me. Her "god-like" comments were dumb, as well. Should be fun with Ro and Whoopi there. I missed what Whoopi had to say about Adrian Peterson. I hope she didn't defend yet another celebrity-type man that acts like a moron.

• Love 4

I can't believe people want Rosie O to be moderator!  Rosie has always been a loose cannon and way too biased politically to lead any discussion.  Whoopi always seemed calmer and more open to opposing viewpoints.  Her transitions do suck this season but it seems like they have been instructed to avoid strife at any cost.  But isn't the View only fun when they are screaming at each other?

I missed what Whoopi had to say about Adrian Peterson. I hope she didn't defend yet another celebrity-type man that acts like a moron.

Unfortunately she did (and I was not surprised) . Whoopi sort of described it as a "bop" and attributed it to how people were raised in the South. When Rosie and RosieP bought up how there were welts and blood on the boy's scrotum, she kinda backed down, claiming ignorance to that part of the story.

Perhaps someone should advise her that maybe it's a good idea to know more than the headlines or news soundbite if she is discussing a "Hot Topic". Especially  since she's the moderator and all.

Edited by Stacee
  • Love 6

Perhaps someone should advise her that maybe it's a good idea to know more than the headlines or news soundbite if she is discussing a "Hot Topic". Especially  since she's the moderator and all.

My biggest problem with Whoopi has always been her defending people and their actions that most people find indefensible.  Roman Polanski, Mel Gibson, Michael Vick and now Adrian Peterson.  I just can't watch her act like she is the voice of reason when she clearly is not.

• Love 12

The story is a man has a 4 year old child who has been hitting other kids..... his idea was to have the child hold a sign saying I HIT GIRLS.....

Whoopi thought it was a great idea.... but all 3 of the other hosts thought it was terrible because he was "shaming" the child. Rosie Perez was the only one who had a different solution..... take him to a specialist.

I guess when you are rich your answer to all problems is throw money at it...... I don't understand why people are so quick to demonize parents when they don't have other solutions. Personally, I thought it was a unique solution to a problem that could get worse.... as long as the child understood the point of the "punishment" it could be a positive solution

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 3

I noticed that when they were disagreeing with each other on a topic.... the back stage people were telling them to move in in the ear pieces..... Rosie O called them out and said something along the lines of... this is a discussion show..... we should be able to discuss (I'm sure someone could share the exact quote)

Good for her.... no one should be silenced because they disagree and are sharing their conflicting view points...... I'm glad she pushed back... and I find it interesting that she is wearing the ear piece when she said she wouldn't wear one last time.

• Love 13

I'm glad she pushed back... and I find it interesting that she is wearing the ear piece when she said she wouldn't wear one last time.

That may also explain some her subdued-ness & restraint now! Someone's in her ear going, "Nope, don't say anything yet. Not yet....Shuttee..."

Like Doug from King of Queens.

• Love 6

The story is a man has a 4 year old child who has been hitting other kids..... his idea was to have the child hold a sign saying I HIT GIRLS.....

Whoopi thought it was a great idea.... but all 3 of the other hosts thought it was terrible because he was "shaming" the child. Rosie Perez was the only one who had a different solution..... take him to a specialist.

I guess when you are rich your answer to all problems is throw money at it...... I don't understand why people are so quick to demonize parents when they don't have other solutions. Personally, I thought it was a unique solution to a problem that could get worse.... as long as the child understood the point of the "punishment" it could be a positive solution

First of all I don't think taking a child to a therapist is "throwing money at the problem".  If the child has behavioral issues there is nothing wrong with seeking professional help so the child's behavior does not get worse.

Second of all, a child should not be shamed.  A child should be told what they have done is wrong and explained why such behavior is not acceptable or appropriate.  I guarantee if a child was made to carry a sign that said "I hit girls" that child would be made fun of and picked on.  And IMO that would not solve anything.

Third of all, I don't think it's demonizing a parent to question their method of punishing their child.  Parents do not raise their children in a vacuum.  How a parent disciplines or doesn't discipline their children can have a direct effect on society.  As Hillary Clinton said "It takes a village".

• Love 13

That may also explain some her subdued-ness & restraint now! Someone's in her ear going, "Nope, don't say anything yet. Not yet....Shuttee..."

Like Doug from King of Queens.

LOL!!!!!

I actually heard Doug's voice when I read your post. Too funny ;-)

• Love 3

First of all I don't think taking a child to a therapist is "throwing money at the problem".  If the child has behavioral issues there is nothing wrong with seeking professional help so the child's behavior does not get worse.

Second of all, a child should not be shamed.  A child should be told what they have done is wrong and explained why such behavior is not acceptable or appropriate.  I guarantee if a child was made to carry a sign that said "I hit girls" that child would be made fun of and picked on.  And IMO that would not solve anything.

Third of all, I don't think it's demonizing a parent to question their method of punishing their child.  Parents do not raise their children in a vacuum.  How a parent disciplines or doesn't discipline their children can have a direct effect on society.  As Hillary Clinton said "It takes a village".

Parents know their children much better than anyone else. Actions have consequences and teaching that to children at a young age cements that knowledge..... Talking to your child to correct poor behavior is a positive thing.... but when that doesn't work other actions may be needed..... and that does not mean running to a "specialist" should not be the first response... there are millions of parents out there who know how to handle their own children.

Anytime a parent uses non violent actions to correct a child.... it is a good thing..... It does take a village... but not with discipline

• Love 1