Type keyword(s) to search

Robert Garrison Brown - RIP

Message added by Mod-Tranquilizer,

This thread is for sharing condolences and honoring Robert Garrison Brown's memory.

Please don't post any speculation about the police investigation, who attended the funeral or other questions and comments about family members, such posts will be removed.

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I hope there's a vote amongst the adults as to whether or not to go forward, and I hope it's Janelle, Meri and Christine with a STOP versus Kody and Robyn's GO. 

I agree with you, but when has the family ever voted on anything?  Actually, I think there was a time when they pretended to vote, but we all know Kody and Robyn always got their way.

The only power they have over participation (as adults) is whether or not to film (see: Logan, Leon), so I suppose those that vote no could refuse to film.  But what about scenes that are already in the can?  Ultimately, I feel like it’s TLC’s decision.  It's possible they’ll air the already-filmed scenes with a disclaimer that they were filmed before the tragedy.  And then maybe it’ll end? IDK!!  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 2

If they air this season, IMO the only mention of Garrison should be in an, in memory of screen, at the end of the episode(s) he is in. What I do wonder though, if they air this season, how they will handle the wrap-ups.

I also agree with @laurakaye, this tragedy should never be a story line. If the Browns can't/won't stop it, viewers can.

My thoughts are also with the Woolley family as I imagine this tragedy likely brings up their own.

• Like 14
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

If they air this season, IMO the only mention of Garrison should be in an, in memory of screen, at the end of the episode(s) he is in. What I do wonder though, if they air this season, how they will handle the wrap-ups.

I also agree with @laurakaye, this tragedy should never be a story line. If the Browns can't/won't stop it, viewers can.

My thoughts are also with the Woolley family as I imagine this tragedy likely brings up their own.

Omg! That’s right.  Oh noooo….this is so tragic on so many levels.  For those who aren’t familiar with Woolley family tragedy, it’s on Christine thread I believe.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Quof said:

Janelle has confirmed. 

Dammit, what kind of world do we live in that grieving parents have to make announcements on social media to satisfy the masses? 

A world with reality tv.  And social media and the internet.

Like it or not, this family has put their lives on tv for over 13 years, and people are invested.  They (or somebody close to them) probably knew a site like TMZ would find out and spill the news quickly (one podcaster actually listened to police scanners!), so I think it was smart of them to post the news themselves.  

• Like 12

If TLC does air a next season from where they left off, it will be the end of 2022.

I have been hoping for “Series Finale” to run across the screen for quite a while. Now, I hope there are no future seasons aired, regardless of income considerations.

• Like 4
  • Applause 10

Does anyone mind if I post a picture of Garrison? For me, it would be nice to see his smiling face. If others don't agree - no problem - totally understand.

• Like 3
  • Love 8

I don't want to believe anything TMZ says about this, and it's not for them to report - but of course this is their bread and butter.  I don't want to hear the misery leading up to whatever happened.  I feel like I am a giant hypocrite because I have gleefully watched and commented on this show since the beginning, but somehow it feels extremely invasive for anyone other than his own family to lay out the private details of his final moments.  Like others have said, we didn't know him, but we've watched him grow up.  It's all very hard.

• Like 13
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

A world with reality tv.  And social media and the internet.

Like it or not, this family has put their lives on tv for over 13 years, and people are invested.  They (or somebody close to them) probably knew a site like TMZ would find out and spill the news quickly (one podcaster actually listened to police scanners!), so I think it was smart of them to post the news themselves.  

I am horrified that they listened to police scanners, to me that was trying to exploit the death to get it out first and get views. 

Some sites have posted very brief messages and given out information about 988 and places where we could donate to as we are all feeling very upset about this news. It is always so sad to hear of someone taking their own life but this really hit me hard, probably because we have been watching for so long and we have seen Janelle worries about Garrison's mental health (during covid) and have seen Garrison mourn for their prior family life, and Garrison continued to be an active presence on the show and on social media - last year he even gave space for Janelle to garden. 

I think viewers are trying to find a way to be respectful and commiserate, but not in a way that is offensive or upsetting to the family. So the sites that have brief mentions I am ok with - but the scanners mention - ugh. 

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Kid said:

What a terrible loss but it is Gabe who is most in my thoughts. Garrison‘s pain is done. And it is tragic that it could not have been healed and removed in a different way. But Gabe, who always radiated pain about his father, must be hurting even worse. Maybe what saved Gabe was that he seemed to be able to express that pain  better than Garrison. So Garrison was consumed by it. 

I agree, it's so hard to watch Gabe and Garrison hurting so deeply and trying to make amends with Kody, only to be rejected over and over. My heart breaks for Gabe and all of Kody's kids that he abandoned. On the Daily Mail website there was a story that says " a source" told them that Robyn is the most upset about this in the family and it really makes me mad. They don't name the source, but if it's Robyn or Kody, that is disgusting that they would try to make even this tragedy about her. It's not hard to believe that it would be her, because she makes every situation about her. I don't know how or if this will change anything with Kody, but I hope he will apologize and make amends with all his children and tell them how much he loves them, and includes them in his life going forward. 

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Angry 6
2 minutes ago, ladyscorpio said:

On the Daily Mail website there was a story that says

Believe none of it, is my unsolicited opinion. The crap being put out there is just awful.

As an aside, just about every  family member’s social media, including Garrison’s, contain comments about this from people that are unbelievably atrocious, although I’d like to use a different description. 

• Sad 6
  • Applause 3
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I don't want to believe anything TMZ says about this, and it's not for them to report - but of course this is their bread and butter.  I don't want to hear the misery leading up to whatever happened.  I feel like I am a giant hypocrite because I have gleefully watched and commented on this show since the beginning, but somehow it feels extremely invasive for anyone other than his own family to lay out the private details of his final moments.  Like others have said, we didn't know him, but we've watched him grow up.  It's all very hard.

But the texts are so revelatory, aren’t they?  About the exploitation of reality tv?  Maybe, down the road, that could lead to changes…do some good.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Agreed. I’ve decided already not to watch any episodes addressing this. It’s a terrible tragedy and should not be exploited for anyone’s financial gain.

• Like 8

Gwen announced yesterday she won't be posting on Patreon anymore. Someone in reddit said Mykelti was on Patreon, crying, and saying she would be back on Patreon in a few days. I reaĺly hope she refrains from trying to make profit of that horrible tragedy. 

• Like 11

TMZ is hitting on a major pet peeve of mine. I don't know why the fact that someone was desperate enough to feel like this was their only option isn't enough. There are people who feel entitled to all the details. Over the years I have encountered several people who have asked for method used, and those requests are always denied. I'm old enough now to have experienced a fairly wide range of deaths, and suicide has been the worst. I didn't have to face nearly the scrutiny his family is dealing with right now, I hurt so much for them.

• Like 5
  • Hugs 5
  • Love 4
(edited)

So it looks like Garrison wasn't living with Gabe and Isabel? I feel like the last episode I watched of them - Garrison had bought his own house and his roommates were going to be Gabe and one of Christine's daughters - presumably Isabel? Was that just a plan or did the other kids move away to do their own things? Bc the article above says Gabe made it back to Flagstaff Tuesday - suggesting he lives elsewhere now. And the article mentions roommates who don't sound like family members.

Feel terrible for Janelle and Christine - I mean Janelle is his mother and Christine had a huge part in raising all the kids. And also for Gabe - not only because he found Garrison which is awful in and of itself but because I think Gabe and Garrison were fairly close, as Logan and Hunter are older and were off at college and the military academy, Madison married and moved to NC, and Savannah is younger and still with her mom. Seems like Gabe and Garrison were doing life together in some ways - college for Gabe/military for Garrison, living together at times etc.

Edited by cereality
  • Like 6
4 minutes ago, cereality said:

So it looks like Garrison wasn't living with Gabe and Isabel? I feel like the last episode I watched of them - Garrison had bought his own house and his roommates were going to be Gabe and one of Christine's daughters - presumably Isabel? Was that just a plan or did the other kids move away to do their own things? Bc the article above says Gabe made it back to Flagstaff Tuesday - suggesting he lives elsewhere now. And the article mentions roommates who don't sound like family members.

I believe Gwen never actually moved in.  Gabe did, but I read he  eventually moved in with 3 roommates.   Maybe college friends?   I hadn’t read that Garrison had roommates until now. 

• Like 5
14 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

In my hopes, Kody will see this tragedy as a motivation to establish loving relationships with his surviving children. I hate to say it, but I'm not optimistic. I don't have a lot of love for cults like his where children are simply a means to an end for the fathers.

I doubt it as well.  Have we ever seen Kody acknowledge faults?  Apologize?  No.  He’s always right, and he’s always the victim.  I wrote earlier that tragedies like this can often bring a family together, or rip them apart, and I think the latter will happen here.  I can’t imagine any scenario where Gabriel, in particular, will ever forgive his father.  

• Like 22
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't think I've ever felt this bad for anyone I only know from a reality show ever.  Poor Janelle. 

Yeah. I have never really watched other reality shows. When SW didn't turn out to be a more serious exploration of religious polygamy, it was the Browns' cute, sweet kids that kept me tuning in for as long as I did. I felt physically ill, last night. I just hurt for all of them, even the two parents I don't like 

7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Despair that caused him to take this action(if indeed it was suicide). 

I don't think that part is much in doubt. Police have spoken on the record to outlets other than and far more reputable than TMZ. It's couched in language like "apparent suicide," because the case is not yet closed, but (barring the possibility of unthinkable murder situation, straight out of a movie), it is most likely to be what it seems to be. That poor boy. His poor family.

7 hours ago, laurakaye said:

When I saw a post on IG, it honestly felt like I had been gut punched.  I had to catch my breath.  I had to keep telling myself, I don't really know this family.  But so many of us have watched this show since Season One and we have literally seen these kids grow up.

I felt the same, and you've hit on why here, I think. We watched these sweet kids grow up. 

5 minutes ago, cereality said:

So it looks like Garrison wasn't living with Gabe and Isabel? I feel like the last episode I watched of them - Garrison had bought his own house and his roommates were going to be Gabe and one of Christine's daughters - presumably Isabel?

It was Christine's daughter, Gwendlyn (not Ysabel), who, along with Gabriel, originally planned to move in with Garrison at his place. Ultimately, Gwendlyn did not move in. I'm not sure whether Gabe lived at the place Garrison owned, or if maybe they just roomed together prior to Garrison buying his place. 

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

I doubt it as well.  Have we ever seen Kody acknowledge faults?  Apologize?  No.  He’s always right, and he’s always the victim.  I wrote earlier that tragedies like this can often bring a family together, or rip them apart, and I think the latter will happen here.  I can’t imagine any scenario where Gabriel, in particular, will ever forgive his father.  

You said what I wanted to say but I was pulling my punches. I don't have good feelings about Kody or any other polygamous "patriarch."

Similarly I don't feel good about the direction TLC will take on this. They've been filming; they have footage. They will air it. If they can milk this tragedy, they will--not that Janelle will participate except to the extent she's contracted (and if she is contracted to participate, I'd love to see a copy of that contract--I bet there's a force majeure clause in there that she could use to get out of it with a decent entertainment lawyer). Their viewership will suffer, though. Garrison was well-loved, and we all struggled watching his, Gabe's, and Savanah's pain, among others, and swore it was our last season. A tragic death might be enough to get some new rubberneckers to the show, but a suicide? That's a step too far for most people.

• Like 14
(edited)
2 hours ago, monagatuna said:

You said what I wanted to say but I was pulling my punches. I don't have good feelings about Kody or any other polygamous "patriarch."

I am probably setting a table for myself in hell but I immediately thought that 1) Kootie would understandably be momentarily upset and 2) immediately start to figure out how to keep the show running anyway.  If he had one single ounce of decency he would go to TLC and ask them to cancel any further airings to support the rest of the family in their grief as well as honor Garrison's life.

I highly doubt that will happen.  And his mini-me Mykelti is jumping right back on SM to cash in on the tragedy.  

IF that text from Garrison is true, his death is linked to their lives being televised.  Now is the time to pull the plug.  Now is the time to stop this nonsense.

Any bets on whether or not that will happen? I can't help but think TLC and Kootie both see the dollar signs beckoning. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by Orcinus orca
  • Like 4
  • Sad 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm glad Gwen is stepping away from Patreon. It's a mature decision. Things are too raw and precarious right now to risk making ripples that could tsunami for someone else.

Edit: I'm also glad Janelle has Christine.

Edited by Auntie Freeze
  • Like 22

I just read this and audibly gasped! I know we don’t really know these people, but this truly is devastating.  Garrison was one of my favorites because of his love for animals and for helping Truly build her project.  I’m so sorry for the Browns’ loss.  I wish them all the best and I hope that Garrison is finally at peace and his soul is free from all the turmoil he suffered 😔 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 7

I cannot bear to think about what Janelle is going through.

Sadly, there are far too many suicide deaths among military veterans. Guns in the house are a major risk factor for suicide completion. Thousands of families are dealing with tragedies like this. It's the worst disaster imaginable.

I came to the site today looking to snark about the Survivor premiere and found this instead. Very sobering. Thank you to all the snarkers who shared about your losses. May Garrison's memory be a blessing.

• Like 19
8 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I’m afraid this will be a season long storyline. TLC will milk this tragedy for ratings… Kody and wife R will participate.

I'm hoping that Janelle and Christine do the right thing and leave the show.  With just Kodvid, Sobbyn, and Merry left, viewers will leave in droves and the ratings will tank.  Surely TLC will recognize this.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Wow, I am stunned.  I only read about this tonight and am shocked and am having difficulty finding words.

My heart goes out to all of the Browns, most especially Gabe.  I'm sure that whatever he saw will be seared into his mind's eye forever.

• Sad 14
7 hours ago, ladyscorpio said:

I agree, it's so hard to watch Gabe and Garrison hurting so deeply and trying to make amends with Kody, only to be rejected over and over. My heart breaks for Gabe and all of Kody's kids that he abandoned. On the Daily Mail website there was a story that says " a source" told them that Robyn is the most upset about this in the family and it really makes me mad. They don't name the source, but if it's Robyn or Kody, that is disgusting that they would try to make even this tragedy about her. It's not hard to believe that it would be her, because she makes every situation about her. I don't know how or if this will change anything with Kody, but I hope he will apologize and make amends with all his children and tell them how much he loves them, and includes them in his life going forward. 

This has me fuming if it really happened. Somehow I knew Robyn would be like that. If it's true then that is complete and utter bullshit on her part. Sorrow isn't a contest and should not be made about herself. Jenelle lost one of her boys, quit making it a I'm the most heartbroken. I'm hoping this isn't true just because it's such shit to think, to say or even broadcast.

I hope that Gabe gets into therapy. And I hope he doesn't pull away from his family and hating Kidney for the loss of his brother. I hope this is a wake up call to Kidney about not talking and taking part of his children's lives. I really do hope that.

My heart aches for this family.

• Like 14
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Dobian said:

I'm hoping that Janelle and Christine do the right thing and leave the show.  With just Kodvid, Sobbyn, and Merry left, viewers will leave in droves and the ratings will tank.  Surely TLC will recognize this.

They’ve already been filming, maybe even a season’s worth.  So it’s probably up to TLC as to whether or not it’s aired.  But I hope that’s it.  

• Like 5

None of us can really know the multiple variables that resulted in this tragedy.

And I suspect some family members will cope by turning to the public sooner rather than later (Mykelti told her patreon people that she would update as soon as she could) while others will need to stop completely (Gwen following the path of her older siblings by stepping away perhaps). I don't judge their coping mechanisms. I don't even judge a desire to keep their show - as a source of income et cetera.

But from a more global perspective I think we really do need to examine the reality genre and TLC's part in such things. The decision to purposefully and continually exploit family drama, estrangement, and division is on all the Brown "adults" and TLC. I don't know if that contributed to this tragedy -- but I do know that we've seen this before. TLC's formula - unique cute family stories --> need more drama to stay on the air --> train wrecks = high ratings --> tremoundous family suffering....

I do believe the children were exploited as recently as last season. I don't know if it was a contribiting variable. But it troubles me nevertheless. Wishing healing for all those involved.

• Like 13
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

It's up to people to stop watching the show.  Just because TLC keeps producing it doesn't mean you have to watch it.  Enough is enough.  I'm not watching it even if the whole season occurs before this tragedy.

Edited by Dobian
  • Like 14

I think it speaks volumes that Janelle had to call Gabe from wherever he was to go to Flagstaff to check on his brother when his father live locally.  I would rather it was Kody that found him than Gabe.

• Like 14
  • Sad 7
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Elodia said:

Gwen announced yesterday she won't be posting on Patreon anymore. Someone in reddit said Mykelti was on Patreon, crying, and saying she would be back on Patreon in a few days. I reaĺly hope she refrains from trying to make profit of that horrible tragedy. 

Gwen is the one I am really worried about. She, Gabe, and Garrison were “the triplets” growing up. That’s a huge part of her core identity that has been destabilized. Also, I know from personal experience that we neurodivergent people don’t always express our grief in a way that makes sense to people, so we sometimes don’t get the kind of support we need. 💔

• Hugs 16
  • Love 1

I think each and every person that loved Garrison is struggling with what ifs, blame and some may be struggling with guilt, in addition to their grief. Death by suicide is complicated and confusing. 

What I do know is that if any Brown, friend, stranger or TLC employee could have knowingly had the opportunity to change this tragic outcome they would have.

• Like 8
  • Love 5
(edited)

I think we have to take rumors about who is taking it the hardest with a grain of salt. Everyone processes tragedy in different ways. They are all devastated in their own way.   MyKelti cries because that’s her way. Janelle holds things inside  and therefore we think she’s ok, when she isn’t. Christine wears her feelings on her face. Kody gets angry and blames everyone but himself because that’s his way of processing.

Robyn is overly dramatic so her way of processing is to be dramatic. I’m sure she is devastated - Garrison felt she was at the root of Kody’s actions towards him and she did things like persuade Meri  not to host Christmas because the boys  would be there. She’s got to have regrets that she didn’t persuade  Kody to mend fences. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 14
  • Useful 1

Yes, TLC exploited this family, but the Browns signed up for it, and came back year after year.  When the show started, most of the kids were really young, so they had no say in regards to their participation in this circus.  Kody - and all the wives - are responsible for that.

As clichéd as it sounds, it must really be true: fame is like a drug.  They couldn’t give it up.  (Along with the easy money, of course).  

Garrison’s purported text to producers (paraphrasing: “it’s hard to see footage from the early days…I miss those days”) is heartbreaking.  Gabe and Garrison’s anguish and anger at their father was palpable, and Janelle even discussed her worry over Garrison internalizing his pain.  The red flags were everywhere.  And yet they all decided to keep filming.  

• Like 15
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

I'm comfortable letting Janelle and her kids decide how best to handle the public, the show, etc.  Some people need to isolate and insulate, but some need to stay with what's familiar and routine.  There is no part of me that thinks I know what is best for them; they can process it however they need to - no advice or judgment from me.  

As an aside, I remember after Marie Osmond lost her son Michael, she was shamed for returning to work sooner than "the public" deemed appropriate.  As if anyone can tell a bereaved mother what is best for her.  

Thank you for posting this. I was about to say something very similar. We have to remember that this tragedy is NOT about US, or what we want. It's about the Browns and what they feel comfortable saying or doing next. If moving forward with the show is their preference, that is their prerogative and no one will force you to watch. 

45 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Yes, TLC exploited this family, but the Browns signed up for it, and came back year after year.  When the show started, most of the kids were really young, so they had no say in regards to their participation in this circus.  Kody - and all the wives - are responsible for that.

As clichéd as it sounds, it must really be true: fame is like a drug.  They couldn’t give it up.  (Along with the easy money, of course).  

Garrison’s purported text to producers (paraphrasing: “it’s hard to see footage from the early days…I miss those days”) is heartbreaking.  Gabe and Garrison’s anguish and anger at their father was palpable, and Janelle even discussed her worry over Garrison internalizing his pain.  The red flags were everywhere.  And yet they all decided to keep filming.  

Agree...and we shouldn't blame TLC for the tragedy either. Life and death are part of everyone's reality. The show is like any other reality show going all the way back to the beginning with the Loud Family. And IIRC, we saw the making of a divorce (as it played out), Lance coming out on TV for the first time, etc. Back then it was called a documentary, but has since been called the first of the reality genre. And we also have the Housewives, where we've also seen life and death situations, including multiple affairs/divorces, crimes, drugs, and even federal prison. And yet these same people choose to keep filming.  

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Morgalisa said:

I think it speaks volumes that Janelle had to call Gabe from wherever he was to go to Flagstaff to check on his brother when his father live locally.  I would rather it was Kody that found him than Gabe.

I agree. I wonder if Janelle didn't ask Kody to make a welfare check on Garrison or if the thought that Garrison wouldn't be pleased to see Kody showing up at his house (not surprisingly so, as they were estranged). Obviously Gabe offered to look after his brother, and my heart breaks for him when I think of what he had to see. I hope he and his family will get the help they need. And I hope when they will seek professional help, they won't choose Nancy. 

• Like 14
4 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I say this not to put direct blame on them, but rather to shift the focus from TLC to where it belongs.

3 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Yes, TLC exploited this family, but the Browns signed up for it, and came back year after year

2 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Agree...and we shouldn't blame TLC for the tragedy either.

If these comments are in reference to my post I would suggest re-reading because I clearly stated the Brown "adults" AND TLC exploited... and I also did NOT claim that either party were responsible for this tragic death. In fact I said that I had no idea if it contributed...  still troublesome though right?

The point was not to lay blame. The point was to ask why reality families on TLC do so poorly in general. What is it about TLC and the reality genre which causes so many reality families to fall apart?

@Dobian made a great point... "it's up to people to stop watching the show.  Just because TLC keeps producing it doesn't mean you have to watch it."  

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

What is it about TLC and the reality genre which causes so many reality families to fall apart?

Isn't the question "What is it about families that leads them to selling their children's privacy to TLC?"  Healthy families - with very rare exceptions - don't agree to appear on reality tv.  

• Like 13
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1