Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Duggar Daughter Dates

I could *maybe* let it slide if they were just married but since she's already pregnant - and we all know that didn't happen via holding hands or with a chaperone (I hope) - it's really quite dumb to be airing "Oh look, they're on a date! And holding hands! Did you know we only allow non-married couples to be together with a chaperone? Aren't we cute?"

Quit it with the re-enacted footage for the show, go to a few one-hour specials a year for the high points, TLC. I hope whoever it is that gives them feedback on their shows, says that.

• Love 6

That's the problem with the show being so far behind real life in this hyper social media world we live in. Another reason why this show is irrelevant.

Exactly. It's like we're watching reruns from a year ago because we've already seen all the pictures and video on their social media accounts. 

• Love 2

Why isn't Jill saying love you back to Derick?! It's very frustrating to see that Jill is like Michelle & Derick is JB. I always thought Jill was different, unless she's reserved around the chaperones.

• Love 1

They played it ad nauseum in the promos, but I can't get enough of Derick saying that hummus is "chick peas all smashed up" and James responding with "CHICKEN PEE?"  

I'm horrified by the Duggar chaperone rules (especially chaperoning an engaged couple... ridiculous) but man, did James and Jason shine. So much funny stuff was going on. (And man, Jason looks so much like Josiah.)

• Love 2

Why isn't Jill saying love you back to Derick?! It's very frustrating to see that Jill is like Michelle & Derick is JB. I always thought Jill was different, unless she's reserved around the chaperones.

The man she is going to marry says, "I love you.". And from Jill he gets, "Awww you're so sweet." ?

• Love 6

Michelle really doesn't trust Jenessa. She kept stressing that they have a chaperone and how many times was 'moving things along' mentioned.

And you can't tell me Jill's wedding wasn't already planned for that church, going to those other places was just filler. Or those other two places paid them to 'consider ' for publicity.

• Love 3

Jill's head must have exploded being exposed to all the food that has never graced her family's table. Goat cheese? Hummus.? Good for Derrick for having taste buds. And I'm glad they could expand a howler's palate too.

It looked to me like Jess and what's his name were going to jump each other every time they spoke. Bad case of hormones there. 

• Love 3

I was pretty unimpressed with the episodes tonight. Boring, outdated and nothing happened. I think Derick has a more sophisticated palate than Jill (not hard to do). He knows good food; Jill, not so much. Is it me, or was the first episode loaded with commercials and not much episode time? Yeah, the chaperones think it's a stupid thing and they don't want to be there. It's is evident that the Duggars don't have a church...how unusual for a religious family. Jill had to go looking for one? Traditionally the wedding ceremony is held in the church of the bride or of the bride's parents. I guess you can't fit 1,000 people in a warehouse on daddy's property where he conducts his own services. I also was unimpressed with the cake lady/friend/client. With 1,000 invitations, you go to a professional bakery. I'm surprised "Cake Boss" didn't cross over and do the cake courtesy of TLC. How can Jill set her own budget for her wedding? They have no experience spending money of their own? I'm just "totally" disappointed in both episodes tonight.

Yes, I agree that Jill doesn't respond to Derick the way you would expect, and tell him that she loves him too... Michelle is having a really hard time trying to come across to the TV viewers that she cares about her kids and has emotion.

• Love 3

Must they remind us in every episode of the courtship rules? We get it already! They shouldn't have to try to constantly try to convince us how holy and special they are. And of course J'chelle has to remind us several times per episode that she has a sneaky feeling another engagement is just around the corner.

As if a Duggar was every really contemplating getting married anywhere but at a church. I guess the other venues got some free advertising from what was otherwise a blatant waste of time.

Jennifer and Mackynzie are my latest predictions for busting out of there. Mack is sassy and Jennifer is unimpressed.

• Love 2

Did they really have to build those go-carts in the living room? Don't they have a workshop or something to use? Why wasn't Hannie included in the building of the go-carts? She might have enjoyed it. I hope that she isn't in the prayer closet.

Do these people have a quota on how many times to say awesome, sweet, or special. Jill is 23 going on 13 with her saying oh, your so sweet a lot and what was with the giggles. I can imagine Derick trying to have a serious conversation with her.

I love Jennifer because of the way she acted around Michelle. You can tell she does not like Mommy too much. And speaking of Michelle, the poor woman had to get off her lazy ass and take her daughter to the eye doctor by herself.  The horror of it all!!!

I agree both episodes were boring and nothing but filler. A country club reception was never in the cards to begin with, so who did they think they were fooling? Those of us who have been watching the show for the past eight years who know how they roll?

Both Jill and James looked totally confused by the prospect of food that didn't come out of a can or a box. 

Regarding the soapbox cars, why does Boob insist on turning everything into a competition? Why not encourage your kids to take their time and do a task properly, versus rushing and then screwing it up? I also had flashbacks to Boob shoving Josiah when he refused to shake Jed's hand at the end. Really, Boob? Is it that serious? 

I thought Jenny looked adorable in her Hello Kitty glasses, even though she was clearly pissed about needing them in the first place. 

• Love 2

Can we have a James, Jason and JoyAnna show please!  Jill did say "I Love You" once back to Derick, but yeah, the rest of the time, I was like..."what's up?"  I think Jill was good with the food, love that Derick is introducing James to a wider world.  He seems to really like him. Why did they have to hold hands the whole time? When she was in front and they had their hands up...it was very weird and uncomfortable looking.

In the talking heads I felt the connection between Jill and Derrick as usual, I see more connection between Jessa and Ben, but she is so obviously smarter than him!  He should be getting over his nervousness with the camera's by now, so I can't really explain it away that way anymore.

• Love 1

James' "I'm only here for the food" was great. Along with whichever kid Jason? said Jill & Derick make a good match because she's likes tall guys and Derick fits that picture.

Ben said something during a TH that had me cracking up but I can't remember it now. I'll need to catch it on a rerun.

• Love 1

Loved seeing Derick expand some horizons, at least as far as food is concerned.  I really had high hopes for him getting her to rise above her upbringing and be a bit more mainstream.  He's still very religious, but seems much more realistic than Jill's family, and he is not afraid to leave his "own" as evidenced by his mission work in other countries.  But with them being pregnant so quickly, I think there's not much hope that they will be any different than her screwball family.

What kind of mixed messages does that family send to their kids - bringing Bin to live on the Duggar compound, while saying how closely they'll have to be "watched" now.  That just comes across as so much bs, and they're not even engaged.  JimBob and Michelle - desperate much?  You could at least wait until an engagement before moving him on in.  Guess they were afraid that he would smarten up and run unless they reeled him in closer, while denying them any privacy.  Between the two engaged/courting couples, the sexual tension is so thick it has taken on a persona of its own!  

Sorry, but Bin just really creeps me out.  I don't know what it is about him, but I read him as smarmy and trying to be someone other than himself for ratings.  You almost get a glimpse of Duggar true colors with adding him into the mix, though - decorating his (cell) with the deer heads, and Jessa enjoying another day at the "shootin' range."   Because, you know, nothin' says love quite like some target practice.  

• Love 4

Gah, this episode really confirmed what we've seen from Benessa on social media over these past several months: they're in love with the other person stroking their respective narcissistic egos. Barf.

If anything, I dislike them even more now then I did before the episode.

James, however, zoomed right up to the top of Favorite Duggars, even ahead of Poor Jenni (loved her purple glasses and rockin' Hello Kitty case).

• Love 3

There's something sweet (and not altogether bright) about Ben that doesn't quite compute with his hateful Facebook rhetoric. Someone else suggested that his father might be behind the posts and I'm starting to think that might be the case. Jessa seems to enjoy needling Ben and I can't tell if she even likes him. I think Bin is really into Jessa and there have been a bunch of moments where you could tell he wanted to go in for a kiss. Go for it, Bin!

• Love 1

When going on their date, Derick said something about looking forward to it and getting away from all the noise. Somehow, I don't think that he really wants eleventy million kids.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 1

I felt bad for poor James having to tag along on Jill and Derick's romantic picnic and hike. Derick talked so much about protecting Jill while hiking so that she wouldn't slip and poor James was just tagging along behind and trying to keep up! Jill was great to remind Derick during the picnic that James was there as well. I also noticed that she immediately started preparing food for James before Derick took it away and said he would serve her for her birthday--I didn't think she was serving herself, I thought she was about to prepare a plate for James. Chaperones on these dates tend to be ignored but I thought Jill was nice to make sure to acknowledge him.

I don't know who felt more awkward when the glasses lady left Michelle and Jennifer alone! Michelle kept rambling on and on, searching for things to say to Jenny and Jenny wasn't having it!

Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 2

Derick really went all out for that picnic lunch. I recognized that the goat cheese is from an artisinial cheesemaker and is very expensive.

Jill may find out that there is more to food than tater tot casserole.

My daughter saw that cheese was Humbolt Fog which is delicious (I buy it occasionally) and not cheap. Everything else looked good too; the only thing missing was a nice bottle of wine.  So get rid of the "chaperone" and add wine and it's a  good date in the real world.

• Love 3

Humboldt Fog is the bomb. It is very expensive where I live and I live fairly close to the cheesemaker. I think I have to treat myself to some tomorrow. I did like Jill explaining to James that hummus was like garlic dip which is something that he was a bit familiar with.

That picnic looked delicious because figs and goat cheese is to me the food of the gods. All they needed was a nice bottle of wine.

Edited by Lillybee

Finally, finally Michelle confesses to what she does during the day.....she's a Scheduler, guys!  Oh, and "many, many other things."

I hardly knew.

Poor Jennifer looked so miserable getting her glasses.  Alone with Michelle.....hmmmmmm....should I read anything into that?

• Love 1

Let's drop this "chaperone" pretense and call it what it is - mini spies. One who has no idea what he should do if the courters break the rules, the other who almost puked on his charges and plans to call the police on them if even a pinky fingers strays from the designated touching zones. 

I'm glad Derrick was able to give Jill the best birthday she's ever had, he seems to know her very well already and be a good match for her. Plus, it can't be that hard to top all the previous "Let's go to the pawn shop and you can pick out your own gift" celebrations she's had. 

I thought Jenny looked adorable in her glasses! But when Michelle sits there and calls her "stoic", I can't help but wonder if the poor girl isn't really "stifled" and "depressed"? There's just a sadness about Jenny that makes ME sad. 

• Love 5
And man, Jason looks so much like Josiah.

I know! I kept getting confused and thinking it WAS Josiah, but the voice didn't match up. 

James is quite simply the best Duggar ever.

James has always been my favorite male Duggar. He's just adorable. Jordyn is my favorite girl. 

Jill's head must have exploded being exposed to all the food that has never graced her family's table. Goat cheese? Hummus.? Good for Derrick for having taste buds.

I think Jill's always been pretty adventurous when it comes to eating. She can't help it that she was raised in a house of casseroles and processed everything. But when they showed her visiting Derrick in Nepal, she was down to try all the local fare and even enjoyed it, whilst her close-minded father made face after face. 

Edited by maraleia
changed location to Nepal
  • Love 2

James is now my favorite Duggar. What a cutie with some humor.

The Derick and Jill parts of the show were watchable, but I picked up a magazine when Jessa and Ben were on. I just can't with those two.

Jennifer and Michelle going to pick up the glasses... it seemed kind of thrown in to the episode. It sure was awkward though!!

Way back when, during a St. Patrick's Day episode, the kids were making 'green' eggs.  The camera guy asked James if he liked green eggs.  James looked at him as if he was 100% nuts and said 'no.'  From that point on, he has always been my favorite.  Like someone upthread mentioned, he has no fucks to give and I love him for it!

Also, I find it strange how easily Jill fell into calling a guy 'babe.'  It's just weird to me.  

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

I am just uncomfortable every single time Ben opens his mouth. It's kind of a combination of feeling a little bad for him combined with being a little creeped out. And I might be mean, but the poor kid doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed (garage/guesthouse, whatever.)

• Love 5

Michelle calling Jenny "stoic" was interesting. Every time Michelle is asked to describe a particular child's personality, she gets this momentarily stunned look. Then, she proceeds to deliver these one word, unintuitive, ill considered descriptions. Jenny isn't exactly stoic. We've seen her express joy and eagerness whenever she's with Jill. I suspect that she is stoic around Michelle because, with missing her critically formative bonding years due to Jordyn and Josie's rapid fire, traumatic births, Michelle isn't the person she's most comfortable with. Michelle trots her out for one-on-one time for things like dental and vision appointments and, pretty much, nothing else.

I think Jenny is cautious (recall her distrust of large animals, heights, and certain chaos). I would describe her as having a patient, measure demeanor. She seems like the kid who has no patience for fakery. There's nothing wrong with that. She's six and has had her entire life documented on a television show. She's only ever know attention being given to siblings with bigger, more television worthy drama. I think she's a bit more like Jana in temperament. She also seems very observant and curious. For Michelle to describe her as stoic is stupid.

Jessa and Ben are very hard to watch and give two shits about. The man-child, dipstick who, allegedly, owned his own lawn service company moves to stay at the compound and work for Jim Bob? How is that leaving-and-cleaving. If he's really engaged to Jessa, you'd think, according to funny standards, he'd have poured more energy into his own business rather than working for Jim Bob. I don't get why Jim Bob is down with Bin.

Jill and Dereck are very cute and fun to watch. It's effortless! They love each other and seem very capable. Maybe that's the difference. I.see two adults when I look at the Duggar-Dillard pair. I look at Duggar-Seawald and see a vain teenager and an idiotic man-cub.

• Love 14

Loved James and Jason as they were very funny. I did feel bad for James since the poor kid almost got carsick. But its got to be completely uncomfortable having to go with them on dates. If not kind of grossed out to be sitting only a few feet while their talking sweet to each other. 

I love that Jennifer has a Hello Kitty item. It was so cute and so was she. I never tired of hearing Michelle's descriptions of her children as if she actually knows them because they never match up to the actual kid. Michelle, we've seen Jennifer happy, its just never around you. 

• Love 2

I think Jenny is a gorgeous little girl. Unfortunately for her, she's not the "smile and keep sweet" type. From her TH's we've learned she hates pink, hates hair bows and never wants to get married. She's the antithesis of everything the Duggars stand for and individuality isn't prized in that family. Look how shitty Boob treated the non-mechanically inclined Jed when they lost the car making contest. He wouldn't even shake the poor kid's hand. 

• Love 5