Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Part 1

• Start Topic

When eight researchers at Tsalal Station suddenly disappear, Danvers orders a search but tempers expectations of finding the men. After handling a workplace dispute and checking-in on her sister Julia, Navarro tries to convince a skeptical Danvers that the men’s disappearance is connected to the murder of local activist Annie Kowtok, a case that has long gone cold.

Original air date: January 14, 2024

• Love 1

I just like how inhabited all the lives are. Justified would have these great expository tales that would fill in the back stories of the various characters that would cross paths with Raylan in Harlan. Night Country is the minimalist version of that, just enough breadcrumbs to show that these are people with full (mostly sad, depressingly)lives and aren't there just to bounce off our protagonists.

• Like 18

This is going to be good. This version already feels more supernatural than S1 did. I mean, even if there turns out to be a non-supernatural cause of these 8 scientists buried in the ice with fear on their faces, let's not forget Dead Travis showed where to find them.

• Like 23

I really want to like this show, and this season in particular, and there is so much to like; actors, setting, cinematography.

In the end, there is just too much supernatural stuff for me. I can take it in a show like "Fargo", because it isn't featured in every 3rd scene. Here, it predominates, and it just isn't my genre.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I'm really liking this one so far - the opening scene was great, and  the spookiness definitely feels like a throwback to Season 1. I'm enjoying Jodie Foster as the Police Chief. Still trying to work out what is going on in everyone's familial relationships.

Curious to find out who/what has "woken up".

• Like 13
3 hours ago, Starchild said:

This is going to be good. This version already feels more supernatural than S1 did. I mean, even if there turns out to be a non-supernatural cause of these 8 scientists buried in the ice with fear on their faces, let's not forget Dead Travis showed where to find them.

2 hours ago, Bannon said:

I really want to like this show, and this season in particular, and there is so much to like; actors, setting, cinematography.

In the end, there is just too much supernatural stuff for me. I can take it in a show like "Fargo", because it isn't featured in every 3rd scene. Here, it predominates, and it just isn't my genre.

Not sure if we’re suppose to take the supernatural literally, like some other worldly beings are involved.

I don’t recall season 1 that well.  The crime scene looked creepy but the killers turned out to be twisted people who staged it to have these supernatural overtones?

Likewise it seems the perpetrator staged those bodies of scientists and perhaps planted Annie’s tongue and used the same spiral tattoo as shown in the previews at end of episode.

In one of the extras on Max app, Jody Foster and Kali Reis interrogate each other like what’s the coldest you’ve been and they joke about HBO not providing enough hot chocolate during the shooting in cold nights.

Then Jody reads the question is time a flat circle and she says “no, it’s a spiral” and Kali says “I see what you did there” because they’re joking about motifs from both seasons 1 and 4.

Maybe the Tsala research outpost has something to do with the mine that Annie tried to shut down.

13 minutes ago, Cloudly said:

Ok I’m sorry but that initial reindeer CGI scene was cheesy as hell. I laughed. 

Yeah I don’t understand what that was about, more supernatural atmospherics because “look, something freaked out the caribou,” not that some supernatural force made them flee and jump off a cliff?

I looked up Issa Lopez, the show runner for this season.  She’s Mexican who’s mostly written scripts for Spanish-language productions.  She doesn’t seem to have much notable American productions.

But she came up with this script for a plot based above the arctic circle where there are 60 days of night, about a fictional mining town and research outpost.  Murders occur just after the 60-days of darkness start so they shot for 43 days in Iceland.

That means everything in the story occurs at night, where people may see things, like polar bears scavenging in the middle of town or people see ghosts, such as Fiona from Killing Eve while she was gutting a still-alive wolf.

What an inspired premise, but the setting also sounds like Murder at the end of the World, which I haven’t seen yet but takes place in Iceland, but not in the dark.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
(edited)

This feels more like Fortitude than True Detective.

This episode opens with a quote from a fictional narrator in a story from The King In Yellow book. A nice nod to True Detective S01.  

Clues in the opening credit:

• A polar bear on a rocking chair, missing an eye.
  • Drowning Liz.
  • Graveyards.
  • A drawing re protecting our water.
  • A reindeer with red eyes.
  • The heads of screaming scientist.   

From this episode:

The song playing in the background when Liz arrives at the crime scene is a nursery rhyme about magpies. Birds bringing in bad luck?

The Thing movie DVD on the shelf at the research station - an inspiration to Issa Lopez?

Raymond Clark specializes in paleomicrobiology (the study of microorganisms associated with prehistoric material). Did he stumble upon something prehistoric like what happened in Fortitude? Ancient bacteria trapped in ice that turns water into sh!t. Or permafrost spirits being released by human-accelerated climate change?

Liz talks about kid leaving lunch in the back seat. Holden must be her son. Am guessing he’s killed in a drunk driving accident together with Liz’s husband.

The glitches on the TV and in the radio plus the flickering lights have (sort of) confirmed the presence of supernatural elements. But they also can be explained scientifically, later.

There’s tension between Liz and Hank. Were they involved at some point?

We keep seeing polar bears with missing eye - in the opening credit, Holden’s toy and with Navarro on the street. These polar bears have star-shaped scar, like Annie’s star-shaped wounds. The wounds also look similar to the research station’s logo.

Are they seeing ghosts and polar bears or are they hallucinating from the bacteria etc?

Why is Raymond Clark wearing Annie’s parka?

Feeling some Wind River vibes over what happened to Annie and Raymond. The missing scientists may not be good guys after all.

Liz walks by Rose without saying anything - bad blood between them?

Spiral is an important element - Annie’s tattoo, the mark on the dead scientist’s forehead and the way Liz arranges the photos on her floor.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Like 6
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1

I grew up in Alaska (though not "north of the Arctic Circle"), and I didn't know anything about where this season was shot. My first observation (aside from questioning whether caribou herd on a glacier) was that the town and infrastructure look way too nice for rural Alaska. Then I noticed all the Icelandic names in the credits lol. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 5
10 minutes ago, Penman61 said:

I grew up in Alaska (though not "north of the Arctic Circle"), and I didn't know anything about where this season was shot. My first observation (aside from questioning whether caribou herd on a glacier) was that the town and infrastructure look way too nice for rural Alaska. Then I noticed all the Icelandic names in the credits lol. 

Yeah I wondered about that.  You'd think it would be barren outside of cities like Anchorage.

Supposedly a mine up there but also a crab processing plant?  Wouldn't that be far away from the coast?

Also Tsalal station was funded by an NGO?  Place looked more like a giant man cave than a research facility.  I think they have some giant research outposts in Antarctica which are like self-contained towns because there's nothing else out there.

In this case, looks like Tsalal can get any kind of modern amenities from Ennis, which is fictional.

I would imagine the reality up there is maybe a few Inuit villages, very little infrastructure.  People who wanted to live more modern lifestyle would have to migrate south to the coastal cities?

• Like 3
(edited)

I'll defer to others with first-hand knowledge northern AK villages, but my sense is that, in contrast to what the show depicts, those towns are: 1) not among mountains/glaciers but the flatter coastal/alluvial plains and 2) have much less well-developed infrastructure.

Overall, I really liked this opener. I liked S1, thought S2 was unintentionally hilarious and hilariously bad ("Am I diminished?"), and was fine with S3. This S4 premiere has my hopes up. :)

Edited by Penman61
  • Like 4

I don’t remember the first three seasons being sci-fi supernatural. I really don’t like that they seem to have added that. If that’s the direction this show is going, I’m out. I want a well-written atmospheric detective mystery, not supernatural x-files style shit like so many shows seems to be these days.

• Like 4

I felt like the first season was filled with mysticism, and the third season (though definitely rooted in science, not sci-fi with Wayne's predicament) had a spiritual essence. I  did not watch season 2. Anyway, by the end, both seasons I watched wrapped up with concrete explanations for what was going on but also left some of us viewing it feeling that a bit more was happening, and I think this season will follow a similar pattern.  But this is just my opinion.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

I'm guessing the supernatural seeming stuff is more for atmosphere, and may not ultimately play a huge part in the plot.

So far, it seems there is a definite connection between the murdered activist woman and the mysteriously vanished scientific researchers.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, meira.hand said:

To all the posts speculating about the Alaska location - this was filmed in Iceland:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_(season_4)#Filming

So Iceland has the infrastructure to support a big budget production and shooting for weeks but rural Alaska doesn't.

1 hour ago, Cheezwiz said:

I'm guessing the supernatural seeming stuff is more for atmosphere, and may not ultimately play a huge part in the plot.

So far, it seems there is a definite connection between the murdered activist woman and the mysteriously vanished scientific researchers.

There's an interview with Issa Lopez that I linked in the media thread.

She talks a bit about the supernatural.

• Useful 1

Just seen in uk 

I assumed Liz’s daughter was her daughter until told otherwise so now assume it’s maybe her niece but it is the child she made lunch for. Most hace missed something about her having a dead husband and son (I assume the actress would tend to play single mother (not partner mentioned) type. 

overall quite slow but good. I enjoyed 1 and 3 and think I missed 2 for some reason. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I really like this so far, it gives me some real season 1 vibes, especially with the talk about spirituality and the more obvious supernatural elements. I feel like some people will be put off by the seeming focus on the supernatural, but I am totally here for it. Seasons one and three (the good seasons) also had supernatural elements, but they were pretty vague about whether anything magical was happening or if everything had a mundane explanation, while this seems like its going hard on the magic.

We are introduced to a whole of characters and a whole lot of plot right away, I enjoy how mundane all of these small town problems are, just everything has this ominous cloud over it as its freezing cold and dark all of the time. So is Jodi Fosters daughter actually her step daughter and her husband/her dad died in some kind of drunk driving incident? That would I think explain a lot about their awkward dynamic.  

This was so creepy and dark, plus all of the actors are great, I am so in for this season. My only real critique right now is that goofy cgi when all of those elk went over he edge of the cliff. Come on guys, with all that budget you had to have been able to do better.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, catherinejane said:

I missed 2 for some reason. 

For me that reason was Vince Vaughan lol. He's just one of those "give-it-a-miss" actors for me.

54 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I really like this so far, it gives me some real season 1 vibes, especially with the talk about spirituality and the more obvious supernatural elements. I feel like some people will be put off by the seeming focus on the supernatural, but I am totally here for it. Seasons one and three (the good seasons) also had supernatural elements, but they were pretty vague about whether anything magical was happening or if everything had a mundane explanation, while this seems like its going hard on the magic.

It feels very "The Terror S1" to me.

• Like 10

Dodgy CGI animals aside (the deers were the worst, but the polar bear wasn't the best either), I thought this was a pretty solid start and I'm already looking forward to seeing where this all goes next.  Episode flew by too, which is always a good thing.  A few atypical pilot issues (might need a chart to keep track of all of the relationships here), but it was pretty easy to follow along.

Acting was a as strong as I figured it would be.  Jodie Foster seems tailor-made for this role and pretty much owned every scene she was in.  As usual, I like that she is willing to play imperfect characters who can be unlikable at times, but I still root for her.  Credit to Kali Reis though, who I thought more than held her own and I can see this leading to even bigger roles.  Wasn't familiar going in about the rest of the cast, so Fiona Shaw and John Hawkes were welcome surprises (even though I can tell the latter is going to be bad news.)

So, judging from the flashbacks, Navarro served in the military and something bad happen to a fellow solider/friend?  And it seems like Danvers has history with drunk driving, considering how infuriated she got with the driver and her conversation with her stepdaughter.  Maybe that's how her husband died?  Also, it seems Navarro and Danvers have issues that go beyond just the original case.  Something big clearly happened between them.

Way too early to figure out who killed the scientists or the original victim.  Fanservice guy in me wants it to either be Anthony Hopkins or Ted Levine, so Jodie can be like "Aww, shit!  Not you, again!"

The look and aesthetics were great.  Music too.

Welcome back, True Detective!  Same name, different story, but usually always compelling (still not sure what happen with season two, but no one is perfect!)

• Like 8
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I feel like some people will be put off by the seeming focus on the supernatural, but I am totally here for it. Seasons one and three (the good seasons) also had supernatural elements, but they were pretty vague about whether anything magical was happening or if everything had a mundane explanation, while this seems like its going hard on the magic.

I do not mind a supernatural angle to the story. However, I am extremely wary that this season will have a satisfactory ending, because it seems to want to utilize spiritualism and mysticism in a way that's suggestive but not definitive. I still remember that ending in Season 1 with Matthew McConaughey walking into a cave (?) and seeing like the galaxy around him or something? Like WTF. I think this show likes to have kind of "open" endings that leave a lot to interpretation. And I don't care for that. If I'm going to sit through six hours of a story I want answers at the end.  

I'm also lacking real interest in Navarro so far. I'm intrigued by the mystery of the research station and Danvers' investigations but all the little side trips by Navarro really sort of bored me. 

Thankfully six episodes isn't a huge investment, and there's not a lot of other stuff on right now.

• Like 6

I'm not quite sure what to make of the show.  They did a great job of setting the mood, eternal darkness and such, and you get a good sense very quickly of what the town and people are like. 

I'll continue watching and see where it goes.

• Like 1

I liked it.  Although someone mentioned that poor wolf was still alive, as it was gutted? 😩 

I wouldn’t survive in a place that remote.  

Are we supposed to connect these happenings to the story that the grandmother was telling the policeman’s child? 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Starchild said:

There's a French-Canadian show available on PBS Masterpiece called The Wall/La Faille.  It takes place at a self-contained structure in a mining town in Northern Quebec.  This season is giving me similar vibes to that show's first season.

So far, I like this. I'll wait and see about the supernatural element.  It was the part I hated the most about the first season but I think that's because it felt more random the more the season wore on. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Starchild said:

I loved The Terror but thought the supernatural element was completely unnecessary. Here I'm sure the supernatural stuff is important, but honestly I would like a straightforward detective/mystery story. Still, I'm in for the long haul. 

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm also lacking real interest in Navarro so far. I'm intrigued by the mystery of the research station and Danvers' investigations but all the little side trips by Navarro really sort of bored me. 

I'm with you. I don't care for Navarro. Hopefully that will change for me.

I'm definitely intrigued by the mystery. I like the characters that Jodie Foster, Fiona Shaw, and John Hawkins Hawkes play. Of course that's because those actors are always great. I also like the guy playing Hawkins' son. 

All the weird behavior of the animals is interesting. Not just the caribou, but every time you see dogs, they're barking at seemingly nothing.

I don't follow all the relationships yet, but I'm sure that'll become clearer in time.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 4
(edited)

First of all I have to say that I hated S1 and haven't watched the other two. I am here for the combination Jodie - Arctic Circle - Mystery.

The first episode was intriguing enough and I will definitely watch the 2nd one.
It does remind me a tad of Fortitude.

The only thing I really disliked about this episode was the many loud songs that were supposed to be significant or something? Each one of them just managed to annoy me. I hope they will tone it down in the rest of the episodes.  You can't create a nice mystery atmosphere with supernatural elements and "bang!" a song... and then another one and another one.. It is not a bloody video clip.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I like the characters that Jodie Foster, Fiona Shaw, and John Hawkins play. Of course that's because those actors are always great. I

I swear, Fiona Shaw is in everything. I can't even keep track of the shows and movies I've seen just in the past couple of years that she's been in. She really gets a ton of work.

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, Zaffy said:

First of all I have to say that I hated S1 and haven't watched the other two. I am here for the combination Jodie - Arctic Circle - Mystery.

The first episode was intriguing enough and I will definitely watch the 2nd one.
It does remind me a tad of Fortitude.

The only thing I really disliked about this episode was the many loud songs that were supposed to be significant or something? Each one of them just managed to annoy me. I hope they will tone it down in the rest of the episodes.  You can't create a nice mystery atmosphere with supernatural elements and "bang!" a song... and then another one and another one.. It is not a bloody video clip.

I really liked the music.  I hope it reaches the amazing height of Season 1 with 13th Floor Elevator etc.  Hated the scene and had to turn away from the wolf-eviscerating.  It was alive.  Horrible.

• Like 2
(edited)

OK, bear with me. Did I see a scene (hallucination?) of a youngish guy with half of his head missing whispering a word to Danvers?

Because scanning through the episode, now I can’t find it.

(Might’ve been something I glanced at before the episode… it’s late 😊)

Edited by kay1864
  • Like 3

I’m new to True Detective.  Just finished watching the previous 3 seasons within the last month.  I loved S1 and S3! S2 was good, but it seemed like a completely different show.  I’m hoping this season is more in line with 1 & 3. 
Jodie Foster is excellent as always! Not sure what her relationship is to all of the other characters she seems to know so I’m a bit confused.  I don’t mind the sci-fi/mystical aspect as long as it’s not too over the top. The one thing I dislike is the darkness.  I understand it’s has to be dark since it’s Alaska, etc, but it’s too dark and it’s difficult to see what’s going on at times. 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, kay1864 said:

OK, bear with me. Did I see a scene (hallucination?) of a youngish guy with half of his head missing whispering a word to Danvers?

I don’t think that was a hallucination; I think it was flashback to her military service. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I swear, Fiona Shaw is in everything. I can't even keep track of the shows and movies I've seen just in the past couple of years that she's been in. She really gets a ton of work.

Gotta say though, I never saw her as an Arctic wild woman.

• LOL 3
13 hours ago, aghst said:

I think they have some giant research outposts in Antarctica which are like self-contained towns because there's nothing else out there.

Places like that are very nice because the employers have to lure the employees away from nicer locations. They have to motivate the workforce to live and work in these pitch black, frozen, remote locations. (Similar situation - oil rigs way out in the Gulf, although they are not as nice as snazzy research and technological sites.)

Also, some of the Arctic native villages are quite developed. They have many successful businesses and modern infrastructure.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, susannot said:

Hated the scene and had to turn away from the wolf-eviscerating.  It was alive.  Horrible.

13 hours ago, Anela said:

I liked it.  Although someone mentioned that poor wolf was still alive, as it was gutted? 😩

9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't think it was really alive. I thought it was another supernatural thing.

From a Google search:

Why do animals still move after they're dead?

The movements occur because the muscles and nerves go through a short phase of hyperexcitability as they are progressively deprived of oxygen and die

Edited by grawlix
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, grawlix said:

From a Google search:

Why do animals still move after they're dead?

The movements occur because the muscles and nerves go through a short phase of hyperexcitability as they are progressively deprived of oxygen and die

I didn't think it simply moved. I thought it also growled. Fiona Shaw (can't remember the character's name) took note of that, which I don't think she would have if it was simply death spasms, or whatever one wants to call it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

the polar bear wasn't the best either

I expected him to whip out a Coke.

The only thing I really disliked about this episode was the many loud songs that were supposed to be significant or something? Each one of them just managed to annoy me.

I prefer ambient sounds in scenes, and the music really annoyed me.

I liked the first episode. Skilled actors with real faces, realistic script (well, except for the supernatural stuff), great setting...I am thrilled any time we can get quality programming. Murder mystery = bonus points.

• Like 8
11 hours ago, kay1864 said:

I believe it was actually Navarro's flashback to her time in the army, not Danvers. It was during the discussion about whether she believed in God, I think.

47 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Skilled actors with real faces,

To her credit Jodie Foster doesn't seem to have had any kind of work done on her face, which is very rare for an actress of her caliber and longevity. She's just letting herself look how she looks, and I wish more actresses would follow her example. 

• Like 17
  • Applause 6
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't think it simply moved. I thought it also growled. Fiona Shaw (can't remember the character's name) took note of that, which I don't think she would have if it was simply death spasms, or whatever one wants to call it.

Animals and humans can spasm and move after they are dead. I have seen  similar scenes in morgues. I had also seen that happening to my cat :(
It is really creepy of course.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Zaffy said:

Animals and humans can spasm and move after they are dead. I have seen  similar scenes in morgues. I had also seen that happening to my cat :(
It is really creepy of course.

I don't doubt that, but I think since the Rose is experienced in gutting an animal, she would have been unaffected by its movement. That's why I think this scene had supernatural elements because the animal seemed to make a vocal noise, which caused Rose to look at it strangely.

BTW, seeing corpses move in a morgue would give me lifetime nightmares. 😳

• Like 4

Speaking of lourd music - why was the vcr/dvd of Ferris Bueller stuck on the Twist and Shout scene?

It was great when Danvers found the player and turned it off by smashing it.

• Like 5
46 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Speaking of lourd music - why was the vcr/dvd of Ferris Bueller stuck on the Twist and Shout scene?

Maybe that dvd accident awoke whatever was awake!  Could be the plot of the season... Ferris Bueller is actually evil!! 😉

• LOL 8

Why Ferris Buehler of all things and why that scene with Twist and Shout?

Liz says she hates the Beatles?

You’d think way away from civilization they’d want news or something, not some escapist content?

Or they just wanted the Beatles screaming on a loop to add to the ambience?

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Starchild said:

It feels like a combination of The Terror S1 and The Thing mixed with an edgy Scandinavian detective story!

Some of the music I really enjoyed and some felt rather intrusive, I hope that they find a balance, season 1 had amazing music. I like the song they play over the credits a lot.

My only concern about this season so far is that I worry that it just has so many characters and so much going on, its giving me bad flashbacks of season two with its thousands of characters and Vince Vaughn talking like his jaw is broken while he tries to sound scary. Seasons 1 and 2 also had quite a few characters and plots but what I think made them work was a sense of focus, I hope that this season hasn't bitten off more than it can chew. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
(edited)
On 1/14/2024 at 10:10 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Night Country is the minimalist version of that, just enough breadcrumbs to show that these are people with full (mostly sad, depressingly)lives and aren't there just to bounce off our protagonists.

I also thought the episode did a good job of sketching out the relationships between the various characters. I especially liked the scenes with Danvers and the younger cop Peter, though he's so earnest and has such a cute family that I suspect he's marked for death.

I'm not sure what's going on with Hank other than he seems like kind of a creep. I wasn't sure why Danvers wasn't more forceful about asking him for the cold case file or why Peter was nervous about taking it. Maybe Hank was expecting to get the chief job so dragging his feet about retrieving the file was a power play on his part and Danvers was just trying to retrieve it without risking him becoming openly defiant? Although that didn't keep her from joking about his mail-order fiancee.

The woman in the drunk tank had the most annoying wail. I couldn't have taken more than 10 minutes of that.

ETA: I saw an article saying that Hank was Chief before Danvers. I wondered if that was the case. I may have missed it, but I don't think that was made explicit. Anyway, that whole dynamic still seems odd to me and I really want to know the backstory there.

Edited by krankydoodle
  • Like 5
20 hours ago, aghst said:

Why Ferris Buehler of all things and why that scene with Twist and Shout?

Liz says she hates the Beatles?

Maybe she was with her husband (or whoever) when he died in a drunk driving accident and the Beatles were playing on the radio?  That would be a good explanation.  

I've never watched any of the other seasons of this show but I'm a big Jodie Foster fan (glad she's acting again) so I decided to check it out.  Wasn't expecting all the supernatural stuff but I don't mind it.  Does give the show a very different feel than a regular detective show though.  So far, I like everything about this except for the CGI animals.  They just take me completely out of it.  

• Like 3

I don't mind the CGI animals. Animals are needed in the show, and there's really no other option than being fake. One of these days, CGI of people and animals will be a lot better.

I now wonder about the Twist and Shout song, and, yes, it doesn't make sense that that particular scene kept playing over and over for days. Can you even set a DVD to replay when it ends?

BTW, I had completely forgotten that there was a S2 of The Terror. I watched it but it didn't stick with me like S1.

• Like 6