Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E10: Semi-Finals

• Start Topic

Oh, my god. Well, that was an unexpected ending!

But I'm honestly fine with that. All these remaining couples have had some fantastic dances throughout the season and I'm looking forward to seeing all of them battle it out next week. 

• Like 7

I think this means Alyson and Jason were legit safe and the show didn’t want to send home whoever it was who got the lowest.   You just know that if Alyson was fifth, she’d be gone.  

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 5

Alyson looked genuinely surprised to learn she was staying around! And Ariana looked so damn relieved at the fakeout reveal. They both clearly seemed prepared for the possibility of going home, so I'm glad, for their sake, that they get to celebrate instead with everyone else. 

• Like 7

Wow. So gimmicky. I would’ve been ok with Alyson or Charity going home, and I love Alyson.

2 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

I think this means Alyson and Jason were legit safe and the show didn’t want to send home whoever it was who got the lowest.   You just know that if Alyson was fifth, she’d be gone.  

That makes perfect sense.

3 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

What couple was the lowest vote-getter that TPTB wanted/needed to make sure made the finale? 

Jason or Xochitl?

• Like 4

So everyone gets to go to the final! That's awesome! 

Very impressed with Alyson's waltz. I didn't notice any messed up footwork that CA claimed to have seen and didn't notice any break when they were only shown from the waist up. Nicely pointed feet as well. 

I missed Xochi's waltz but will find it. Ariana's FT was nice, but didn't think it was great. Liked Jason's but didn't like the lighting. it seems like he was in the dark a lot and blended in so I couldn't see his moves.

Charity's dance was fun. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

This is my thought exactly. I don't think the judges would've hesitated to send someone home if it were Alyson, Jason, or Charity in the bottom. I think it's plausible that Xochitl or Ariana truly got the least amount of votes and the judges were not going to let whichever one leave the competition. 

I actually think this little tease was a good way to humble both Xochitl and Ariana, as they've both flown through the competition. 

I'm really happy for Alyson. She has shown such great improvement since the beginning, and that makes her making it so far so much sweeter. IMO

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I not mad about the five couple finale. I expected to say goodby to Alyson tonight, but she pulled in the votes. 

I have a question for the dance experts out there. Why is the Jive considered a Latin dance? That makes no sense to me at all. And I’m probably wrong, but I seem to recall from a previous season that the cha cha is considered a ballroom dance? 

Also, tonight, how come Jason led with his ballroom dance, while everybody else led with their Latin dance? It just seems odd that they didn’t split it more evenly. 

I was very impressed with Jason’s pasa doble. I was worried because his Viennese waltz was scored so low (at this point 9s are low) but he came back with a roar. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Glad that everyone is staying. My guess is Oxchiti had the lowest votes, that's why the judges padded her scores. As likeable as she is she has technical issues that the show overlooks because she can hide it with musical theatre. She's a kid with a fickle fan base. They hang around for Taylor Swift but are now on to the next Swift intrigue. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

I have a question for the dance experts out there. Why is the Jive considered a Latin dance? That makes no sense to me at all. And I’m probably wrong, but I seem to recall from a previous season that the cha cha is considered a ballroom dance

I'm not an expert but I have been around a ballroom. The Jive is a rhythmic dance as oppose to a ballroom dance. Back in the day it was part of Modern Ballroom but it became Latin as the style is more akin to the rhythm of the music.

In ballroom dancing there are 10 dances. 5 in Ballroom -Foxtrot Quickstep Tango Slow Waltz and Viennese Waltz.  5 in Latin Cha Cha, Samba, Rumba, Paso Doble and Jive. 

Then there are social dances Mambo Salsa Jitterbug Swing Lindy Hop etc 

Argentine Tango is it's own style very different from Ballroom Tango. It is very popular but it is not a international ballroom dance. 

12 minutes ago, nickp1991 said:

Charity's first dance gave me so many chills

I thought that if Charity can come back with passion it would be her redemption from the robotic dancing she's been doing. 

42 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

Also, tonight, how come Jason led with his ballroom dance, while everybody else led with their Latin dance? It just seems odd that they didn’t split it more evenly.

I can only guess but the show didn't want to compare Jason's song to the other Waltz choices, because his song brings out a lot of emotion for his fans 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

Yeah this was strange. Clearly the show was afraid of sending someone home, but who? Xochitl looked like she was about to cry when she thought she might be going. I have a suspicion it might have been her and it was actually Val the show didn't want to lose before the final.

There were some strange dance interpretations. Ariana's Foxtrot looked more like a Viennese Waltz for about half of it. The music really didn't lend itself to Foxtrot so maybe that's why.

Similarly, Charity's Rumba almost seemed more like a Contemporary with all the gymnastics.

Alyson's Jive really wasn't very good. Her kicks and flicks weren't very high and overall it seemed kind of stiff. But I thought her Waltz was really quite nice. She dances so well in hold, her frame is really pretty.

I had to laugh when Alfonso congratulated Carrie Ann for being named "one of the 40 most powerful women in reality TV." By who? It reminded me of when Joey Tribianna was nominated for a Soapie. "That's the third most prestigious reality show award!"

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6

Count me among those who think it was Xochti who was going home and they wanted to keep Val for the finale. But then I think they had a show planned around 4 couples dancing and now it’s 5…. Makes me think it was the plan all along since this show has to be timed to the tee because it’s live.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I love a good conspiracy theory but I find it hard to believe that they added an unexpected 5th person to the finale once they realized a "fave" was going home. 

I don't think there's anyone they love so much that they'd make a last minute decision like that. Ariana?  She's a Bravolebrity and Bravo is an NBC Universal property, not ABC.  So no, I don't see it.  Alyson? I love her but she's not currently in the zeitgeist.  Jason?  Love him but it's not like he's at Taylor Swift levels of fame.  Xochitl? She probably has a young fan base but they probably watch on TikTok.  They didn't find a way to save Harry and he apparently had a big online fan base too.  Charity? She's part of ABC Reality family so maybe?  But really, she's paired off and The Bachelor/Bachelorette usually doesn't protect their leads once their season is over. 

And adding another couple affects the timing of a show that they likely planned out far in advance (4 couples + Mraz performing + Julianne/Alfonso doing something + dance from previous winners). 

Alfonso said something about taking over prime time next week.  Currently, dwts is scheduled for its regular 120 minutes with Press Your Luck following it.  But dwts has done rather well in the ratings.  I wouldn't be surprised if we find out Press Your Luck is getting preempted and that they're expanding the finale to 150 or 180 minutes.  A programming decision like that could explain why the choice was made to keep everyone. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

For me the top two dances were Ariana and Pasha Foxtrot and Jason and Daniella Paso Doble

There is just no denying the teaching from husband and wife duo of Pasha and Daniella is highly evident in the celebrity contestants. They move well because they are drilling fundamentals whilst providing killer choreography. On re- watch I liked the Paso more than I thought I would.

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 9
  • Applause 1

There was an awful lot of excellent choreo in this show.l  I went back to watch Julianne and Apolo samba (a dance that completely blew me away at the time) and it really had a lot less spark than at least 3 of these, maybe 4.  There were some obvious flaws that didn't get called, but wow! none of the flaws were in the actual choreo.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Andiethewestie said:

was always in the bottom whereas Xochiti was pretty much over-scored for most of the competition, thus Harry's days were numbered when the spread finally took him out deep into the season.  

For most of the time a vote for Harry was a way to sabotage the competition in the tradition of Bobby Bones. Harry thought he had the Taylor. Fans, but the Swifties decided to vote for anybody but Harry. The show has forever chased the youth fanbase with very limited success. This follows that pattern. Even on social media one of the ABC producers wondered what happened to Harry, they clearly thought he was going to go the distance.

Also on  social media Val had been preparing Xochiti for what he considered the inevitable, by posting good byes. He has had very young competitors who went to the end, but the difference  was he was full on competition mode, and a stickler for proper technique with them. He would never let it slide for them as he did this time.

Moreover the show used to have a one hour competition show with 3 contestants and then a 2 hour finale the next night with lots of filler. If the show had such big numbers watching they would have returned to that sort of format or at least go to 4 contestants and extend the one night finale into 2 allowing for the West Coast to have a say in the vote. Now, they don't care, they just want to cover every demographic.

Part of the intrigue of the show was to find out if fans would sustain weaker dancers to the end.

I'm not upset at this format,  clearly they need all 5 to maintain ratings of each demo especially the youth one they desperately need for advertising dollars. I also think it might have been Harry in the final 5 instead of Alyson if she didn't work so hard in getting the Taylor fans to vote for her. She had a full on campaign that Swifties can't resist. I for one am not a fan of any theme nights because the cloying for support based on a singer whose music didn't always fit the dance style tipped the scales into full on selling advertising instead of enjoying a dance show. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Andiethewestie said:

"I also think it might have been Harry in the final 5 instead of Alyson if she didn't work so hard in getting the Taylor fans to vote for her. She had a full on campaign that Swifties can't resist. I for one am not a fan of any theme nights because the cloying for support based on a singer whose music didn't always fit the dance style tipped the scales into full on selling advertising instead of enjoying a dance show."

This. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this is probably why she bugs me. She seems fake and immature to me in a high school type of way. I don't think they were protecting a production favorite. They wouldn't be able to put in an extra person at the last minute. I'm sure they have been planning it at least a week or two. It makes sense that they were trying to get Harry in for the younger folks, and having 5 would have probably made that happen if it weren't for the Swifties.

That said, I think Ariana and Xochitl were probably the real bottom two. I don't recall Alfonso saying "this isn't necessarily the bottom two" this time. Jason and Alyson have overcome low scores to advance, and they have been unsuccessfully trying to get rid of Charity for weeks, so I think those three are the top vote getters. 

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Like 1

Very astute. Despite the online fandom for Xochiti and Ariana I don't think the regular fans vote for them.

I agree about the whole Taylor Swift thing. It's juvenile and frankly embarrassing for an adult acting that way. I like her music fine. I'm not so enthralled with it and I don't think she has a great voice. Bit It's the fans and the silliness around her that's so annoying. The show bought it all for ratings

Last week for the Taylor show I put my predictions on Gold Derby and damn if I didn't win top predictions! If I lived in the US I would have got $100 hehe. I was highly worried for Jason so I predicted that Jason would get the high score (Argentine Tango) that Alyson would be in the bottom but not leave,  and that Harry would leave.  Also predicted that Bruno would give out the most tens (pretty much average for him) and that Derek would give out the least tens and that was true to form. 

This week I predicted Ariana Charity and Xochiti in the bottom but I guess we'll never get the results. I predicted Xochiti leaving.

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Whether or not production had already planned on moving 5 to the finale and not eliminating anyone this episode, this 'everyone gets to go to the finale' move really opens up the show for conspiracy theories.  I, for one, buy into a conspiracy-that the producers did not want to lose whoever was in the bottom and thus sent all couples to the finale.  So, now those who legitimately earned their way into the finale have an additional couple to compete against in the finale.  And, the "Len Goodwin Mirror Ball Trophy" may end up going to someone who, according to production rules (someone being eliminated during the semi-finales based on the combination of judeges' scores and viewers votes) should have left this week.

If production is seen to undermine viewers' votes, it could introduce a whole slipperly slope aspect to the show as in why vote if production is going to negate it?  Yes, this could have been previously planned (all 5 going to the finale) but it also opened the door for thoughts of conspiracy.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

I'm grateful for the Swifties. I don't need to see Harry doing a freestyle. I think it was always planned to have five finalists. You can't just insert an extra person and have them do two routines, their journey story, etc. My theory is that they wanted extra stuff like Alfonso and Julianne, Mark and Charli, previous contestants stuff, Jason's song, etc. It was already over two hours so they wanted to fill three.

Votes and scores for this week still count. They just get added to next week's votes and scores. I think judges will give a lot of tens. They were handing them out like candy last night. I don't think anybody earned a 10 during the first round. I would have given 9s except Alyson. I would have scored an 8. Second round was better. 

Len would love Pasha's and Danelle's choreography. It's back to traditional ballroom and Latin not fused with other styles. Danielle did mix it up with Iman to work with his strengths but not this season.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Like 5

Too many people in the finals.  I think I prefer it limited to a max of 3 couples, so you get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.  5 couples?????

Really loved Jason's paso doble. I voted for the first time this season and all my votes went to him.

• Like 5

I think the producers have a pretty good sense about halfway through the season of who is going to make the finale and some seasons who is going to win. By then, the voting patterns are fairly established. I don't think they decided in the commercial break to save everyone; but I do think they have stars and pros they want in the finale and knew a few weeks ago roughly how voting would shake out and made the change at that point to try to protect someone.

I think five is a ridiculous number in the finale. Three is my ideal. I can live with four. With two it feels like there is too much filler in the episode.

I think there's something off about Jason's posture and have thought so since the beginning. It was noticeable to me in the Paso. Maybe his butt is out just a touch. If he refined whatever it is that seems to be just a bit off, I think he'd be spectacular. As it is, he's really great.

I'm glad Carrie Ann asked about Ariana's injury because I too could see something was off in her movements. Being injured right at the end when there are multiple long dances each week and the freestyle is coming up really sucks.

Alyson has no business in the finale and it's not like Sasha is really going to deliver on the freestyle choreography. I don't think of him as one of the stronger choreographers so she's kind of wasted space but I assume we will get to see hot husband Alexis Denisof again so totally worth it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
37 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I think the producers have a pretty good sense about halfway through the season of who is going to make the finale and some seasons who is going to win. By then, the voting patterns are fairly established. I don't think they decided in the commercial break to save everyone; but I do think they have stars and pros they want in the finale and knew a few weeks ago roughly how voting would shake out and made the change at that point to try to protect someone.

That's pretty much where I am. I don't think it was a last minute decision, per se. But I think they saw the writing on the wall and had a contingency plan in place for a couple of weeks now. 

When Alyson and Sasha were the first couple announced safe, all the other couples looked genuinely happy for them. Then they cut to the judges, who looked gobsmacked.

11 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Alfonso said something about taking over prime time next week.  Currently, dwts is scheduled for its regular 120 minutes with Press Your Luck following it.  But dwts has done rather well in the ratings.  I wouldn't be surprised if we find out Press Your Luck is getting preempted and that they're expanding the finale to 150 or 180 minutes.  A programming decision like that could explain why the choice was made to keep everyone. 

Quite possible. I guess we'll see. Even in this scenario it's likely the decision not to eliminate anyone this week was motivated by who it would have been. We've had overblown 2-night and 3-hour finales before with only 3 or 4 couples.

• Like 1

I watched  Oxchitis Samba because I didn't see it on YouTube. I'm sorry that was really disappointing. Her voltas missed the bounce, her botofogo were messy, no crisp crosses, no Samba roll

Val did not give her the more difficult steps  no bachacata example, Val did it solo and that's good because she's just not very good technically. That song Samba is difficult to Samba because it's actually a Salsa rhythm. Boy they are really pushing her to win because any other year I doubt she should even make the semis. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Votes and scores for this week still count. They just get added to next week's votes and scores. I think judges will give a lot of tens. They were handing them out like candy last night. I don't think anybody earned a 10 during the first round. I would have given 9s except Alyson. I would have scored an 8. Second round was better. 

I didn't see the first half but when I justvwatched Oxchitis Samba I thought what the hell? Not worth it at all. 

Sorry to be a Scrooge here, but WTF - a 5-person finale? Why bother? Give everyone a trophy.

I don't like a top 3 finale on American Idol and I certainly don't like a top 5 finale on DWTS.

The finale of any reality competition should be the top 2. Period.

I like Alyson so much - watched both her shows religiously and rewatch them often - but her dancing is nowhere near the other 4. 

For all the griping about Charity, Ariana leaves me ice cold when she dances. I want her in the finale simply for Pasha's choreo. She looked like she was going to stab someone in the final seconds of the show.

I find it very interesting that Charity has the same performance quality and ability as Charli D'Amelio, but she's being nitpicked to death every week while Ariana gets a pass and Charli, y'know, WON the show in a walk. Whatever. I like her, I love Artem, and at this point I'd be happy if she won it.

Jason's paso was unforgettable. Add that to the timeless dance canon immediately. Daniella is a genius. He's hit and miss for me but man, I Won't Give Up is still a major tearjerker. 

Xochitl is a massive star. Both her dances were major, and IMO she's been outshining everyone for weeks. I hope Val gets his third win. She's got Zendaya levels of young star quality - let's hope the voters get it right this time.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Andiethewestie said:

I hope the Len Goodman Mirrorball Trophy goes to someone who had actually  struggled to get the technique right.

Val has been phoning it in for weeks with a performer who doesn't ballroom dance and he didn't correct her. 

This is my problem, I absolutely love Val but man he he has checked out of this show bad. they’re coasting bc with his fan base and the fact she’s bubbly and fun they were lock ins. Val is not correcting her and not even as strict as he used to be because he’s over this show and it shows. 

• Like 5

Xochitl is still in school though, right? It's just possible she has a full plate and Val isn't going to push her beyond what she can take on right now. They don't really talk about school but she's 17. If she's got a senior year type of workload on top of the show; there may only be so much she has the mental energy for.

Val does have a tendency to coast on his fanbase but I do think Xochitl has accomplished quite a lot and grown over the season even if there are still things to correct. 

• Like 5