Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E05: I Don't Want to Be the Worm

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, candall said:

P.S>whoever decided to offer FRUIT as the food reward--brutal!

It was fish, wasn't it? Fruit was the previous ep.

Sorry, pointless comment. I really wanted to see them cook the fish.

Edited by violet and green
to add
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, mertensia said:

Am I the only one that looks at those sandwiches and juice just sitting out there and thinks "food poisoning"? Figures.

Jeff addressed this in "On Fire" podcast. He said when they put food out--sandwiches, fish, whatever--when it's time to actually eat, they give them fresh food, not the food that's been sitting out. Always.

Edited by astrohip
dbl post
  • Like 4
  • Useful 11
58 minutes ago, astrohip said:

Jeff addressed this in "On Fire" podcast. He said when they put food out--sandwiches, fish, whatever--when it's time to actually eat, they give them fresh food, not the food that's been sitting out. Always.

well that is no fun...put out the old food and let them decide if they are smart enough to eat it or not. ummmm show is called 'survivor',  so this is just another minor task to solve. feed your hunger, risk the food poisoning.

• Sad 1
  • LOL 6

I’m going to record this and watch The Challenge, at least for now. Survivor is a bit of a grind at ninety minutes . . . so is The Challenge, but I’ve gotten used to a hour-and-a-half of that.

I would’ve gone food. I don’t like cheese, but I’m thinking I would’ve swallowed it whole along with the rest of the sandwich. Refusing amulets probably cheeses Probst off almost as much as people quitting. Also, I don’t know what Austin’s play was about. He sacrificed a vote and then restored it? Why?

I don’t know these people that well. Well, not much of those not originally with Lulu. Bruce and Sifu feel like they’re exhausting to be around. As much as I respect Jake for losing that weight, I feel he should be checking in with the medical people from those spells. That’s all I really have, and it’s only going to get more confusing in upcoming episodes.

Amazing that Bruce still hasn’t seen Tribal Council yet. I think it’s the one box that is unchecked for him.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Also, I don’t know what Austin’s play was about. He sacrificed a vote and then restored it? Why?

One of his advantages is an idol that of limited duration that you could extend its power by sacrificing his vote. Thanks to the Goodwill Advantage that he got from Drew, Austin got to have his cake and eat it too, i.e. extend his idol's power while still voting in that tribal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I don't think Jake is fainting; it looks more like he's having seizures. If he  were fainting due to low blood pressure as Kellie was claiming, then he wouldn't be popping right back up and being fine immediately.

12 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I thought Jake's syncope events looked more like seizures to me than your garden variety vasovagal swoons.  In both events he sort of did this herky-jerky motion, and you could see in his eyes that he was clocked out.  I can't believe after catching this on camera twice that medical hasn't been out to evaluate him. 

10 hours ago, Steph Sometimes said:

Put me down as another person who thought Jake was having seizures. Something about his movements rather than just dropping to the ground. But again, not an expert.

It's unsettling but Kellie is a critical care nurse who witnessed both events and didn't seem fazed either time, so that makes me a little less tense.

Unless she's not very good at her job.

• LOL 5
On 10/25/2023 at 11:41 PM, 30 Helens said:

I was also hoping they would pick sandwiches just to nullify an advantage and keep it off my screen. I’ve stopped even trying to follow who has what. When Austin played one card that said he lost a vote and another that said he got it back, I had no idea what he was talking about. And frankly I didn’t care. I watch for the tribe dynamics and social strategies. I know the advantages aren’t going away, but ignoring them is the only way I can keep my sanity and still enjoy the show. 

Looks like I made a mistake in not doing the Tracker this season.  However, I can make up for some of that now.  Luckily there's not actually that many advantages in the game at the moment.

• Drew has Safety Without Power that he got from his Journey.  (The one where Bruce didn't even try for the advantage and Brandon failed yet another element of Survivor.)
    • It allows the holder to leave TC before the votes are cast.  They do not vote, but also cannot be voted for.
  • Austin, with the help of Drew, Dee, and Julie, found the Beware Advantage Idol hidden at Reba.
    • These idols are good for the first TC the finder attends.
      • Unless they sacrifice their vote at that TC, then it becomes valid until "all players are on the same beach" (aka Mergatory).
        • Austin chose to do this at this TC.
      • If they sacrifice their vote again at the next TC after the first, the idol becomes good until F5.
  • Kaleb was given the Goodwill Advantage as part of the Camp Raid reward.  The rules of it required him to give it away.  He chose to give it to Drew.
    • This Advantage allowed someone without a vote (for whatever reason) to restore their vote for one TC.
      • Drew gave this advantage to Austin.
      • Austin used it at this TC, thus sending the Goodwill Advantage to the Advantage Graveyard.
  • Austin, Kellie, and J. Maya have the Advantage Amulets.
    • See below.

Also in the Advantage Graveyard is Lulu's Beware Advantage Idol, aka Sabiyah's Wax Idol.  (Same rules as Austin's.)  That went home in her pocket.

In addition, we have not been made aware if even the first clue to Belo's Beware Advantage Idol has been located.  Since everyone voted at this TC, we can assume that none of the  4 nuBelo members were in mid-idol hunt before this TC.

On 10/26/2023 at 12:41 AM, HurricaneVal said:

I truly do not understand how that 3-way, 2-way, then single advantage really works.  I mean, I get it that when there is only one, it is a true immunity idol.  But before that?  Much depends on what happens on other tribes prior to the merge-which is out of each advantage holder's control. 

As noted by Emily, they work the same way they did in 42 (when they were hidden in the Marooning challenge and thus in play from the start of the season.)

• While all 3 are still in the game, the three holders have 1/3 of an Extra Vote each.  The 3 must agree
    • to use the Amulets at a given TC
    • who the Extra Vote will be for.
  • When there are only 2 Amulets in the game, the two holders have half of a Steal-A-Vote each.  They must then agree
    • to use the Amulets at a given TC
    • whose vote they will steal at said TC
    • who they will cast the stolen vote for at that same TC.
  • When there is only the one Amulet in the game, it's an Idol.
  • The Amulets, regardless of power level, expire at F6.

As Austin noted, it looks like an advantage meant to foster co-operation and inter-tribal alliances, but it really means that each of the Amulet holders now has a specific target on their back from the other two.

20 hours ago, violet and green said:

They really need to introduce half-idol rings that only work when you bump them together with other half-idol rings, like Shazam! It's getting that silly.

Been there, done that; didn't really work like they wanted.

Any two of Kaoh Rong's idols could be put together to form the "SuperIdol" that could be used after the votes.  No one did that.  (Bless you for that one, Tai.)

The idols that people returning from the Edge of Extinction were in two parts that required the returnee to give one away and both people had to survive the first TC afterwards and then reunite the pieces to get a full idol.  That happened both times.

The tribal idols on WaW worked the same way in that the finder had to give half away before sundown on the day they found it then get it back in order to get the whole thing activated.  Everyone who was given the half returned it basically immediately without any issues or blowing up the finders' games.

19 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Why is Julie under the impression that Sifu could have the Reba idol, when she knows that Austin is the one who has it?

The only thing I can think of is that she thinks there were two hidden idols; a "normally hidden" one and the complicated-to-find one that Austin has.  And that Sifu found the normal one.

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There seemed to be an awful lot of filler in this episode. I don't object to the 90 minute episodes in general but they had a hard time justifying that length this week. Enough with the shots of Kendra burping and picking her nose already. We get it, she's a "character."

They had to spend time with Kendra and her attempt at worm-eating in this episode.  Because she not only got the title quote with a worm metaphor that she may not have used otherwise, but also there was her face at TC.  That face was a combination of finally swallowing a worm and the reaction of "I was the worm after all."

11 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Do the rules of Survivor prevent you from writing your own name down?

Always have.  That's why people involved in ties don't re-vote when everyone else does.  They're the only options to vote for in the re-vote, and their votes are automatically for the other person, so there's no need for them to vote.

It's also why, in the olden days of the F2 at FTC, that the winner of the F3IC was the only person to vote at the F3TC.  The other two could only vote for each other, so again, no need for them to do so.

The "clue" in the title sequence this week was a shot of one of the Amulets.  When I first saw it, I thought it was an idol.  But looking again, it was definitely one the the Amulets.  However, it was a double-layered clue in that it was the Blue Amulet, indicating that the majority of the story of the episode was going to be on Belo.  I had kind of noted the blue color, so when I thought it was an idol, I thought they were finally going to show us what was going on with the idol hunting on Belo.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
13 hours ago, astrohip said:

So, they just waste a bunch of food every episode. Cool lol.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Drew is unbelievably egotistical for somebody that has accomplished so little so far.  The fact that a dweeb like him is dragging a dweeb like Brando is pretty ridiculous. 

But then, Drew has got "goat" written all over him. 

Sifu is gross.  What is with all these disgusting guys that think they are all that?  Why didn't the women just say Sean lied on his way out?  How would Sifu know?  Dee could have said Sean told her he was going to write down Sifu, so he lied going out.  No disadvantage to it.    

• Like 7
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

Why didn't the women just say Sean lied on his way out?  How would Sifu know?  Dee could have said Sean told her he was going to write down Sifu, so he lied going out.  No disadvantage to it.    

The disadvantage is it's not a particularly believable lie. 

Sean did not come off as a particularly sneaky player, as least on the little amount of footage that we were given of him. 

He has no incentive to lie about not voting for Sifu. He was done with the game, and had no real interest in helping or hurting the games of anyone remaining.

It makes far more sense that Sean voted Dee and one of the three others voted Sifu than Sean voted Sifu and lied about it, and either Julie or J voted Dee.

Especially when one would think that if either of them were interested in targeting Dee that a) they would have put out feelers to Sifu about voting that way and b) known voting Dee when Sean has told them to vote him off makes no sense. There's no way under those conditions that Dee is actually going to get voted off, and making her paranoid about being voted off at a future tribal is counter-productive to actually voting her off.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 10/25/2023 at 10:02 PM, North of Eden said:

Katura or whatever the heck her name is though can go any time now. She's a completely one-note character with her unhealthy Bruce obsession.

She probably isn't one note but for some reason that's all the editors want us to see.  And I'm on her side- I think Bruce is annoying as hell.  

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 10/25/2023 at 8:39 PM, LadyChatts said:

The aftermath of the last TC was pretty amusing, especially the Reba girls not believing Sean would betray them and tell Sifu he didn't vote for him.  Like, what did they expect?  Especially because they could have still voted for Sifu.  This was not a betrayal.  

On 10/25/2023 at 10:59 PM, princelina said:

IMO it was kind of a betrayal - you can't do a crybaby quit and then blow up the games of the people who were planning to save you on the way out 🤷‍♀️

I’m in the not-a-betrayal camp for one reason: Sean didn’t cough up the info of his own volition.  If as he was leaving Sean had simply decided to throw out something like, “Oh, btw Sifu; I didn’t vote for you, so you need to figure out who did” - THAT would have been a right and proper betrayal.

But that’s not what happened.  Sean didn’t unilaterally offer up the info; Sifu directly asked Sean a question, and Sean answered him honestly - and at that particular point in time, what possible motivation would Sean have to lie?

On 10/25/2023 at 11:41 PM, 30 Helens said:

This is how I saw it: I can either get a sandwich to fill my empty belly, or I can get two enemies who will be looking to slit my throat first chance they get. Hmm… sandwiches, enemies… sandwiches it is.

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:09 AM, Haleth said:

I kept waiting for Sifu to bring up the obvious - if Sean allegedly lied and did vote for Sifu, then who voted for Dee?  He was too wrapped up in his own anger to see the hole in the women's theory.

This I kept waiting for, in vain - not to mention, Dee passed up the perfect opportunity to deflect suspicion from herself.  A good flare-up at Sifu reminding him HE wasn’t the only one besides Sean to catch a vote could’ve done wonders.  😉

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

So, they just waste a bunch of food every episode. Cool lol.

Waste food?  Perish the thought; that stuff costs money.  Besides, what did you think Production was feeding the interns…?

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

So, basically the amulets are worthless until the merge, if all three have to be at the same TC and all three have to agree on the extra vote.  In the meantime, the holders of all three amulets can't vote at TC.  What happens if an amulet holder gets voted out?  Then it is a power of two?  Way too complicated, and way too dependent on issues out of the holder's control.  They should have just eaten the sandwich.  😆

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

In the meantime, the holders of all three amulets can't vote at TC.

This is incorrect.  The Amulets do not nullify the holders' ability to vote.  If any of the three of them cannot vote at a TC, it will not be because of the Amulets.

• Useful 1

I had this episode DVRed and just got around to watching it last night.  Is it especially telling that it took me about 4 or 5 hours total to watch this episode, because I kept falling asleep during the playback and had to keep backing up…?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

So, basically the amulets are worthless until the merge, if all three have to be at the same TC and all three have to agree on the extra vote.  In the meantime, the holders of all three amulets can't vote at TC.  What happens if an amulet holder gets voted out?  Then it is a power of two?  Way too complicated, and way too dependent on issues out of the holder's control.  They should have just eaten the sandwich.  😆

I don't know if they are worthless till the merge, although that may be a moot point. 

In the past, even after the merge, there have been multi-tribals, where half of the merged tribe goes to one, and the others go to another. If something like that happened, presumably, the three amulet holders could agree that Person A can use the extra vote even if all three are not present at that tribal.

And yes, if one amulet holder gets voted out, the two remaining ones can agree to steal someone's vote. 

If two amulet holders get voted out, the last one has a full-fledged immunity idol.

I don't think it's that complicated. It's just prone to backfire, as each fellow amulet-holder has a bigger incentive to have the others booted than to work together.

• Like 2

I'm such a sucker because I'm totally all invested in Jake now not just because of concern for his medical issue but I'm touched by his backstory.  He's not at all who I thought he was in the first few episodes.  I hope he's ok to continue.

On the other hand, Bruce is exactly who I thought he was and then some.  Katurah's vindication is on-deck since others are finally seeing what an ass he is.  

I have no idea why J would decide that owning up to a vote she didn't cast was a good idea.  WHAT?!  She'd be better off trying to align with Sifu rather than blindside him. 

I'm really tired ofEmily.  Again. She can go at any time. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
12 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

I'm such a sucker because I'm totally all invested in Jake now not just because of concern for his medical issue but I'm touched by his backstory.  He's not at all who I thought he was in the first few episodes.  I hope he's ok to continue.

Same.  I'm worried.

The jerky movements are so quick, it's possible that they've passed before nurse Kellie looks over and all she sees is the falling part, so she's missing the seizure symptoms.

However, production must see it so why hasn't medical been called?  

On the positive side, if it was going to turn out to be something serious we wouldn't be seeing the spells because it would make the show look bad for not doing something sooner.

Edited by JudyObscure
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

It seems to me that Jake's medical issue will have an impact in a furture episode (no spoilers) just based on it being featured in two different episodes at this point.  Hopefully he doesn't have an undiagnosed heart (or other) issue.

I think it would be far more interesting if the amulet powers were reversed.  So that if all 3 make it to (say) final six tribal council they all have an immunity idol, if 2 make it an extra vote and if 1 a steal the vote.  It would be interesting to watch them try to save each other as well as honor whatever other alliances they have.  This is how Jeff could get the cross0original tribal alliances that they are always trying to create.  Could provide some interesting strategy.  Instead, it's the usual trying to get each other out.  

Although Julie and Dee might know that Austin has the Reba idol, maybe they are concerned that SIFU found the new camp's idol.  And, I really don't understand J's strategy of putting herself on the outside and telling SIFU that she voted for him.

Even just sitting here watching the show and having had dinner I wanted to choose the sandwiches.  The worst thing about all of these advantages is that they are too confusing and make me have to think more than I want to (let me clarify that thinking is good in general...).  I just want to watch the show, I don't want to have to write copious notes in order to understand what the advantages do (and how they grow stronger) or who has what.  Just play, squabble, and entertain me!

• Like 7
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I think it would be far more interesting if the amulet powers were reversed.  So that if all 3 make it to (say) final six tribal council they all have an immunity idol, if 2 make it an extra vote and if 1 a steal the vote.  It would be interesting to watch them try to save each other as well as honor whatever other alliances they have.  This is how Jeff could get the cross0original tribal alliances that they are always trying to create.  Could provide some interesting strategy.  Instead, it's the usual trying to get each other out.

That would be a lot better.

1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Although Julie and Dee might know that Austin has the Reba idol, maybe they are concerned that SIFU found the new camp's idol.

They're still at Reba's camp though, aren't they? Sifu, Dee, Julie and J are all still Reba, so I don't think there is a new camp.

On 10/26/2023 at 11:06 AM, fishcakes said:

Based on Hannah and Sean quitting and Brandon weeping his way through his four days, it seems the psychological evaluations this season were likely inadequate or inept

For Pete's sake. I can't believe after all these years and all the crazies we've seen on this show anyone still thinks there's some kind of psych evaluation. There isn't! It's the equivalent of an old wive's tale based on some bullshit Mark Burnett said over 23 years ago. By now we've read countless, detailed accounts of the audition process for this show and many other similar reality shows. There is no psych eval. And if there was, it would be clear that the purpose is to screen out the sane people.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4

Generally, it's obvious when players create their own immunity idols.  I didn't really see what Sifu made.  Did it look real?  Don't all legit idols come with a note?

If the 3 women unite & tell Sifu that they want to SEE the idol, or they will throw a challenge & vote him out, what could he do or say?  If he shows it and it's obviously faked & rigged up and there's no note, he's the target for lying & deceiving.  Automatic boot at next TC.  If he refuses to show them anything, that seems it would prove he doesn't have a real idol.  Because he's been outted anyway and has no power over them. Automatic boot at next TC and the 3 women probably make the merge.

What would be the downside for the women in forcing his hand and showing him he is NOT running their camp?

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

As a new viewer of Survivor (seriously, I have never watched a single episode until the current season), I kinda feel like I am watching Tom Brady play in his final season, after never having seen him in his prime.  Am I waaaay off base here?

FWIW, I decided to finally watch some Survivor because I am a regular viewer of The Challenge, and with it looking like the Survivor alums will be taking over that game going forward, I figure I need to see what's what.

Are there typically quitters such as I've witnessed this season?  I mean...sorry, I find it fucking lame.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Duke Silver said:

Are there typically quitters such as I've witnessed this season?  I mean...sorry, I find it fucking lame.

Usually not.  It is fucking lame that they losers took the spot of someone who would actually play the game.  
i'd suggest watching old episodes.  This show has gone down hill.  They now have bumped it up to 90 minutes but only have one challenge.  Also fucking lame.  I could give a shit about them sitting around camp doing nothing.  Show me a reward challenge and an immunity challenge.  I hate watch it at this point. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

For Pete's sake. I can't believe after all these years and all the crazies we've seen on this show anyone still thinks there's some kind of psych evaluation. There isn't!

There is. Whether it's effective or not ... yeah, we've seen people who shouldn't have been there. But if there were no screening, I'm sure we would have seen far more heinous shit than we've seen.

Survivor Casting Call Eligibility Requirements : "All semi-finalists must undertake physical and psychological examinations and testing (to be conducted in Los Angeles by medical personnel selected by the Producers) and meet all physical and psychological requirements."

2022 Interview with Dr. Ronald Stolberg: "I'm a psychologist who helped cast 'Survivor' for years. I weeded out people who might be dangerous or unstable under pressure — here's what I looked for in contestants."

Recent Reddit thread started by applicant who says he was ghosted after he did the psych eval and is looking for insight from other applicants. He described the applications process as, "Applied first week of August, got called ~10 days later. Filled out the long pdf app and then silence for a couple of weeks. Had my calls with Matt/Jeff around the second week of September, and then psych ~3 weeks after that." One other person in the thread says he failed the psych eval. Neither person said what the psych testing consisted of, but it seems it does exist.

Also, seems like Jeff was ticked off enough after Hanna quit to talk to casting and the staff psychologist. "And the first call I made was to [casting director] Jesse Tanenbaum and Dr. Liza, our head psychologist, to say, 'Add this into our data, because we got it wrong. We missed something with Hannah. She shouldn't have been on the show.'"

• Like 3
  • Useful 9
On 10/25/2023 at 10:05 PM, hendersonrocks said:

Kaleb is incredibly strong at this game. (Side note: I would like to ban the phrases “this game” and “my name” from the show just to see if people can find new words to use, because holy lord are they worn out.)

Jake’s health situation is going to come up again, right? We aren’t getting footage of things that look like seizures without any medical follow up just for fun, are we? 

I appreciate Austin’s cheekbones.

I appreciate his perfect straight shiny teeth, his speaking voice and his cheekbones.he is the perfect survivor specimen. They should bottle him.

• LOL 3
15 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Absolutely not.  There have only been a handful of quitters over all these years and their names are anathema.  To have not one but two quit so early in this season shows how much Survivor has declined.

• Like 3

And Jeff was thoroughly disgusted by them, unlike this season where he pretends they were voted out.  Sounds like he's having some production meetings to make sure it doesn't happen again, but he was pretty easy the quitters.

• Like 2
On 10/28/2023 at 6:16 PM, fishcakes said:
On 10/28/2023 at 10:43 AM, iMonrey said:

For Pete's sake. I can't believe after all these years and all the crazies we've seen on this show anyone still thinks there's some kind of psych evaluation. There isn't!

There is. Whether it's effective or not ... yeah, we've seen people who shouldn't have been there. But if there were no screening, I'm sure we would have seen far more heinous shit than we've seen.

I remain unconvinced. It may be different for different shows, but I've read multiple interviews with applicants who made it all the way through the audition process to become "finalists" without getting cast and none of them had any kind of meeting with any sort of mental health professional. At most someone sits in during one of the interview sessions to advise producers but applicants don't seem to be aware of it and there's no formal one-on-one session with them.

Even if there's some sort of stealth psych eval during the audition process it's clear there's some pushback from producers who want "characters" they think will make "good TV." Otherwise we wouldn't see post after post every single season wondering how so-and-so made it past said psych eval.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1

Jake used to be a huge binge eater.  He would eat whenever he could and they showed some old pictures of him being heavy.  He said that he was sitting in his car in front of his parents' house eating something and his mom came out and told him that they loved him no matter what.  He then started dieting and working out.  He lost a lot of weight and got in shape.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Drew annoys me, he thinks he is this master strategist.  He thinks he is way smarter than he actually is.  He went to UPenn, so has to be fairly intelligent, but there was something he said which surprised me.  I forget exactly what it was and I'm too lazy to rewatch, but it was either he completely misused a word or he was unfamiliar with some word or something.

I like Brando, he seems like a super nice kid, so I was disappointed that Brando went out instead of Drew.  Why not Krazy Kendra?  She must be super irritating to be around.  So much time spent on her and the worm.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:23 PM, eel2178 said:

I keep thinking they're calling him "Seafood."

We've had dumber nicknames than that in the past.

I learned from Kung Fu Panda that "sifu" means "master" or "teacher" in Mandarin.  I know that he's been doing martial arts since he was a boy and must think of himself as a martial arts teacher, but do people in everyday life call him Sifu instead of his actual name?  Seems like an odd nickname for him to insist that his friends call him Sifu.  It'd be one thing if his last name was Jack Thompson and his friends call him Tommy  or Tomps, that's a nickname actually connected with his first or last name.  To insist on being called Sifu is just strange to me.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:16 AM, SnapHappy said:

Sifu is gross.  What is with all these disgusting guys that think they are all that?  Why didn't the women just say Sean lied on his way out?  How would Sifu know?  Dee could have said Sean told her he was going to write down Sifu, so he lied going out.  No disadvantage to it.    

I could have sworn there was some rule against the recent boot saying any kind of strategy or game talk on their way out.  "Asked to leave the tribal council area immediately."  They can say goodbye, but people don't usually spill secrets, like "you said you were going to use your idol on me Jenny, why didn't you", either because it's prohibited or out of some unwritten rule?  Maybe there is no rule and people just know not to do that. 

On 10/26/2023 at 10:20 AM, iMonrey said:

I'm confused about all the different advantages Austin has, I can't remember how the hell they worked and WTF he did in the voting booth. I take it he had two different advantages that more or less cancelled each other out.

I was confused too, and I have to assume there was some kind of language on the Goodwill Advantage that permitted it to be restored actually IN the voting booth?  Jeff says his thing about "if anyone has any idols or advantages they wish to play, now would be the time to do so".  I would have assumed that the person with the Goodwill, if they were playing it for someone else, would announce that it is being played.  I don't like that he had this advantage no one knew about, he was able to play it, it saved his friend, and still no one knows about it.  Seems a bit unfair, I think any advantages need to be disclosed when played.

• Like 1
On 10/28/2023 at 6:11 AM, JudyObscure said:

The jerky movements are so quick, it's possible that they've passed before nurse Kellie looks over and all she sees is the falling part, so she's missing the seizure symptoms.

However, production must see it so why hasn't medical been called?  

On the positive side, if it was going to turn out to be something serious we wouldn't be seeing the spells because it would make the show look bad for not doing something sooner.

On 10/28/2023 at 8:53 AM, seacliffsal said:

It seems to me that Jake's medical issue will have an impact in a furture episode (no spoilers) just based on it being featured in two different episodes at this point.  Hopefully he doesn't have an undiagnosed heart (or other) issue.

Whether it is seizures or dehydration or something else, it has happened twice now, the same exact display of symptoms.  Slow crumple to the knees, then brief spasms.  The first time, it looked like he was pretty close to the fire.  The camera people see it and won't interfere, but surely at this point, medical should have been alerted?

Or is it up to the contestants to ask for medical?  Unless Jeff actually sees it happening, like during challenges with Caleb Reynolds and Bruce and other medical evacs, he doesn't get alerted?  I guess the camera people really are impartial observers.  Unlike the ones on Amazing Race who seem to snitch on contestants to Phil all the time about violations.

I would think that he should be concerned about his long term health and get checked out just for peace of mind.  If these seizure are related to heat, exhaustion or dehydration, at least rule that out.  Unfortunately, without proper equipment, the medical team would almost certainly pull him and send him to a hospital for further tests.  And that's what he is trying to avoid.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

do people in everyday life call him Sifu instead of his actual name?  Seems like an odd nickname for him to insist that his friends call him Sifu.  It'd be one thing if his last name was Jack Thompson and his friends call him Tommy  or Tomps, that's a nickname actually connected with his first or last name.  To insist on being called Sifu is just strange to me.

Among the most basic of Guy Rules are:

• It’s only a REAL nickname if your friends come up with it.
  • YOU don’t come up with your own nickname and demand your friends call you by it; that’s a total wuss move.
  • Your friends won’t call you by this self-manufactured nickname unless they’re total wusses, too.
  • Even if your friends do use your self-coined nickname to your face they’ll be calling you something else behind your back, and THAT will be (a) your real nickname, and (b) some dirty and/stupid twist on what you came up with - “Stiffy” instead of “Sifu”, for example.
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I know that he's been doing martial arts since he was a boy and must think of himself as a martial arts teacher, but do people in everyday life call him Sifu instead of his actual name? 

Calling himself Sifu reminds me of how Coach went on that rant about how even his parents call him "Coach" after Stacey called him Benjamin. (She also, hilariously and nonsensically referred to him as "Chuckie the Cheese," which is how I now think of him.) No idea how Sifu feels about it, but I assume he's this decade's Coach or possibly Seinfeld's Maestro.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

Drew annoys me, he thinks he is this master strategist.  He thinks he is way smarter than he actually is.  He went to UPenn, so has to be fairly intelligent, but there was something he said which surprised me.  I forget exactly what it was and I'm too lazy to rewatch, but it was either he completely misused a word or he was unfamiliar with some word or something.

He hadn't graduated as of the show, but he comes across as such a douche--canoe.  Those degrees in English & Philosophy will be such serious money-makers (said noone ever)

And book smart and life smart aren't always compatable.  I think he's an idiot.

https://parade.com/tv/drew-basile-survivor-45-cast

Ugh.  He can't go soon enough for me. 

On 10/26/2023 at 5:55 AM, choclatechip45 said:

I can't stand Kendra.

Yeah the only way one can stand Kendra is being drunk at a bar. Thus she is a bartender.

On 10/26/2023 at 6:59 AM, princelina said:

IMO it was kind of a betrayal - you can't do a crybaby quit and then blow up the games of the people who were planning to save you on the way out 🤷‍♀️

But they were not planning to save him because they loved him or trusted him, they just wanted to get rid of Sifu. Sean had no obligation to remain loyal to these women, especially after seen one of them had not respected his request to be voted out.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

But they were not planning to save him because they loved him or trusted him, they just wanted to get rid of Sifu. Sean had no obligation to remain loyal to these women, especially after seen one of them had not respected his request to be voted out.

Maybe not.  It was still a weenie move by a weenie player IMO 😄 

• Like 1
On 10/25/2023 at 8:52 PM, mertensia said:

Not gonna miss Brando.

Does Bruce Bruce all the time? Because man, how tiring.

Brando was uninteresting even when they finally remembered he was there. I don’t understand Drew being so open about rejecting his offer, though, and I like Drew.

I do not, however, like Bruce. Exhausting. Bossy. Annoying. Self-important. If Katurah is really the only one who noticed, the rest of them are clueless. Her dislike of the dude speaks to her ability to peg people accurately. Can't imagine having to deal with that dude 24/7.

• Like 2