Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

12 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

hope the writers' strike is over so we can get back to the regular games

But even if the strike is settled today (and to a certain extent it is), it will still be a month (or more) before we get "regular games" (assuming they keep with "episode filmed a month before airing").

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

But even if the strike is settled today (and to a certain extent it is), it will still be a month (or more) before we get "regular games" (assuming they keep with "episode filmed a month before airing").

That sounds about right. I wasn't clear how long this second chance tournament would go. Then I saw Celebrity Jeopardy announced ... which is prime time, so it doesn't really factor in. But I started wondering who the celebrities could be who aren't in some way impacted by the WGA strike or the SAGAFTRA strike (which isn't part of this settlement). I haven't bothered to look, so you can see I'm very excited about it...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

But I started wondering who the celebrities could be who aren't in some way impacted by the WGA strike or the SAGAFTRA strike (which isn't part of this settlement).

The clues for this season of Celebrity J! were written before the WGA strike was called.  Game shows are covered under the Network Code contract between SAG-AFTRA and AMPTP, which is a valid contract, not the contract actors are striking over.  I'm still not comfortable watching something produced during a strike, but, as I said in that show's forum, I will find it really cool if the celebrities choose funds for striking workers as their charities.

Assuming the WGA deal goes through, I'll have to keep an eye on the archive for taping dates, to know when shows made once the writers were able to get back to work start airing so I can tune in again.  Producers are probably scrambling to schedule the delayed ToC, contingent on the deal going through; probably lots of emails to champions happening right now.

• Like 3

Week 2: 2/5. Handel was pretty much instant; I'm not sure if I'd have gotten the Oppenheimer clue without benefit of the film, but for the sake of my ego I'll pretend I would have.

And I absolutely would have had 3 this week if the Sue clue had been framed around the MUCH more obvious and  intuitive question of, 'The wizard Harry Dresden once reanimated and rode this fossil through the streets of Chicago.'

Well, obvious and intuitive for me, at least.

• Like 5

I managed 3/5 - M, W & F.  Missed Puerto Rico as my brain went wildly around Central & South America before going anywhere near the Caribbean and somewhere the dimmest reaches of my brain probably knew Sue but it was not coming near the surface in time.

Read enough of and about Hemingway to get Monday, flashed back to a W&M American history class where we had to impersonate historical characters to get J. Robert and thanks to rewatching some BBC programs on the English monarchy was able to come up with Handel in time.  

Went to my last games of historic Base Ball for the season over the weekend and one of the teams treated the fans to their season ending tradition of sangria - it was a peach variety and I have a good recipe myself so I will gladly share. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
19 hours ago, dankesean said:

And I absolutely would have had 3 this week if the Sue clue had been framed around the MUCH more obvious and  intuitive question of, 'The wizard Harry Dresden once reanimated and rode this fossil through the streets of Chicago.'

I KNEW I'd heard of Sue somewhere before! Didn't get the answer, but Sue sure was familiar.

• Like 3

Greetings! It took me awhile to catch up on games after my cross country jaunt, but if I haven’t been booted from the contest for inactivity, here are my scores:

Week One: 1/5 (Styx)
Week Two: 2/5 (Oppenheimer, Hemingway)

Based on those ^^, maybe I should have self-evicted.

• Like 3
  • Hugs 2
  • LOL 4
19 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Greetings! It took me awhile to catch up on games after my cross country jaunt, but if I haven’t been booted from the contest for inactivity, here are my scores:

Week One: 1/5 (Styx)
Week Two: 2/5 (Oppenheimer, Hemingway)

Based on those ^^, maybe I should have self-evicted.

Your space has been waiting on the spreadsheet! Welcome Back - hope you had a wonderful cross country jaunt.

As for those scores, you have plenty of company. 😊

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1

11.   SCIENTISTS - A 1953 article by this pair says, "The specific pairing we have postulated... suggests a... copying mechanism for the genetic material" (Crick and Watson)

12.   PUBLICATIONS - A collection of achievements bearing this name was established in the early 1950s to help resolve pub disputes (Guinness Book of World Records)

13.   MYTHOLOGY - Chrysomallus was the name of the creature that was the source of this sought-after item, vellus aureum in Latin (the Golden Fleece)

14.   SYMPHONIES - Debuting at Carnegie Hall in 1893, it was written by a European living in New York & partly inspired by "The Song of Hiawatha" (The New World Symphony)

And the first Asterisk of the season:

15.   *U.S. SENATE HISTORY  - In 1805, after 4 years presiding over the Senate, he left the chamber, calling it "a sanctuary; a citadel of law, of order" (Aaron Burr)

Edited by Clanstarling
Correcting format, adding the category for Friday.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks to Monday’s SCIENTISTS — 
Week 3: 1/5

Given another minute for Wednesday’s MYTHOLOGY, I might have gotten it.
I got as far as:
Golden thread? Golden yarn? 

How about some golden colored chamomile tea?

pineapple-weed-plant.jpgEverything_You_Need_To_Know_About_Chamomile_Tea28892bfb5d97a13977464d783d2debde.jpg

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 6
14 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

1/5

I don't have your score for week 2, did I miss it?

3 hours ago, secnarf said:

1/5. Was doing great on Monday and then got a mild concussion on Tuesday. Will blame that for my performance in the rest of the week!

And so you should.

3/5 this week. Not too shabby for me.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4

2/5: Crick/Watson and Golden Fleece.

In honor of both, I will bring some non-GMO Shepherd’s Pie. 
IMG_0453.jpeg.8079ffec5a0896dfd3077af24189367f.jpeg

I actually made this for dinner tonight, with whipped cauliflower instead of potatoes. It was delish. Could have used some of those cow cupcakes for dessert, though. I am obsessed.

ETA: I just went through 6 reboots, a (now edited) bizarre double post and about 15 minutes of waiting for reloads in order to bring you this post. Sigh. Consider a testament to how much I love you all.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 2
  • Thanks 6
43 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

ETA: I just went through 6 reboots, a (now edited) bizarre double post and about 15 minutes of waiting for reloads in order to bring you this post. Sigh. Consider a testament to how much I love you all.

It took 3 tries for me to get the Thank you reaction emoji to stick too. 440607E1-A274-44CF-AC87-4E1616544AA9.png.ec889181934eae42af1b0a23db4497c8.png
Anyway, that’s a great looking Shepherd’s pie!
Reminds me of when I used to spend countless hours in the kitchen cooking mostly organic fare.
But I wasn’t always so successful.
🙃😉

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Love 1