Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

Sorry to be late:

Week 6 – Oct. 16  

26.     THE NOBEL PRIZE IN PHYSICS - Barry Barish, who shared the 2017 Prize for detecting gravitational waves, called his award "a win for" this predecessor (Einstein)
27.     MILITARY HISTORY - A 1918 article titled "Do Not Shoot at" these said hunters were interfering with the U.S. Signal Corps' training of them (pigeons <carrier or homing>)
28.     NATURAL LANDMARKS - The Washburn-Langford-Doane expedition happened upon it in 1870 & named it for the regularity of its activity (Old Faithful)
29.     NAMES - The name Jennifer is an alteration of this name that in early Welsh literature belonged to the "first lady of the island" (Guinevere)
30.     LANGUAGES OF ASIA - Meaning "palace", this word in the name of a UNESCO World Heritage Site follows Jal & Lal in the names of other historic structures (Mahal)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
3 hours ago, Ancaster said:

3/5

I'll bring custard creams for those of us who are also fans of Great British Bake Off.

image.png.cde28190cf8195773cbfa788454e74ba.png

Definitely watched this episode. Who knew the cookie (biscuit) could be so complicated? Or that there was a specific pattern.

4 this week - quite an improvement.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Stunned. 5/5 (I'm not sure I've ever done that before.)

Once I get over my shock, I'll bring some fancy beverages to wash down all the cookies.🥤🥂🥃🍻🍺🍷🍸🍹🧋🧃🧉🍶🍾🍵🫖🥛🐕<-my dog wants to come too! She 'loves' cookies!

• Fire 3
  • Applause 7

Week 6: 5/5 (the first of (hopefully) many this season). Overall: 16/30  2*   In honor of my first 5 this season, I will bring my 7 layer cookies (melted butter, graham crackers, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, walnuts, coconut, condensed milk).

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 3

They were all guesses for me, but I somehow got to 5/5 for the week.  I will add a Sanders Bumpy Cake to the dessert extravaganza. (Take pity if I goofed it up but I tried to include an image of it - this may actually be the first time i have done this for a post).  

image.png.ac2f563698faf92174069171cd0979d8.png

• Like 4
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 3

Week 7:  4/5, no *.  Overall 17/35, 1/5*.

The only think keeping me from a perfect week was my misplaced trust that Columbus knew what he was talking about.

Tough week for the contestants - 6/15, so not even breaking 50%.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Week 7 – Oct. 23   One Asterisk
31.     MUSIC MEN - Before creating this record label in 1959, its founder worked on a Lincoln-Mercury assembly line (Motown)
32.     AWARDS & HONORS - As of 2023 the only 2 to win a Nobel Prize in Literature & an Academy Award were George Bernard Shaw & this singer-songwriter (Bob Dylan)
33.     *HISTORIC LETTERS - A letter from him begins, "On the thirty-third day after I had left Cadiz, I reached the Indian Ocean" (Columbus)
34.     FAMOUS FAMILIES - In 2020 a former U.S. ambassador to Ireland, the last of 9 siblings in this dynastic family, died at 92 (Kennedy)
35.     FAMOUS AMERICANS - On March 23, 1779 he became the first U.S. diplomat to serve overseas by presenting his credentials to a foreign government (Benjamin Franklin)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Thanks 4
12 hours ago, secnarf said:

A perfect week still eludes me.

Ditto!

I came close this week with 4/5, 0*.

There's a lot of us with 4/5.  I think all those cookies last week bumped up our brain cell count.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 5

Going into Friday's game, I was feeling smug... I was 9/9 running... Plus an * for Columbus. [I honestly thought everyone was taught that in grade 5 history (or thereabouts) that the reason the islands are called the West Indies is because Columbus thought he'd reached the Indian ocean!]

Then came Friday's game.  sigh

So... 4/5*

I'll bring smug pie. (my version of dutch apple with freshly whipped cream)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Week seven: five of five! With the asterisk!! 

I have a dear friend who lives about 50 miles away. We trade texts with our Final Jeopardy guesses every evening (no requirement to phrase it in the form of a question). I was so busy taunting Tim for missing Dylan that I didn't notice I had a perfect week.

I'm thinking I want something French, in honor of our first diplomat. Perhaps some French onion soup, with a crusty baguette?

• Like 2
  • Applause 8
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

Going into Friday's game, I was feeling smug... I was 9/9 running... Plus an * for Columbus. [I honestly thought everyone was taught that in grade 5 history (or thereabouts) that the reason the islands are called the West Indies is because Columbus thought he'd reached the Indian ocean!]

Yes. And we were also taught that's why the North American "Indians" were not called something else.
Columbus must not have been very imaginative (in addition to being genocidal).

I did think of Columbus, but then fell off the edge of the world with Magellan. 🙃

So:
Week 7: 3/5 
Tues. Bob Dylan; Thu. Kennedy; Fri. Benjamin Franklin

Thanks to the 1's and 2's this week for holding down the curve while I am still sort of flying high among the 3's.

It's getting cold tonight. I'll bring tea and cocoa.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

Week 7: 2/5, one *

YTD: 15/35, one *  

I been re-reading David McCullough's John Adams biography, and I'm just at the part where Adams is in Paris with Franklin and Lee, so that one was an instaget. I should have known Kennedy, but I blanked. I should also have known Motown, but I inexplicably said Mercury.

How about more chili and brownies? I made my first batch of chili for the fall season for supper tonight. What a treat!

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I should also have known Motown, but I inexplicably said Mercury.

Same. I never owned many 45s with actual labels. I thought "Motown" was just a "sound," as in "Motown Sound."
I used to tape songs off of my transistor radio onto my pocket-sized cassette player. No stereo was involved, LOL.

11 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

How about more chili and brownies? I made my first batch of chili for the fall season for supper tonight. What a treat!

I left my daughter's just as the chili she was making was starting to smell really good.
But virtual chili and brownies with zero heartburn? Sign me up!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4