Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Week 5:  0/5.

I'll bring a bundt cake. 😒

I'll join you at the Week 5:  0/5 table.
If they don't make all-natural, plain spaghetti-o shaped pasta, they should.
I'm bringing the ones that exist in my imagination, along with:
image.png.fa6c15af933a7cb033c7da5b09cced98.png

There were at least 2 FJs I knew, but it was a bit of a rough week to keep track of even everything that was not J! 😜

And now I feel like I'm doing my promised part to keep the scoring curve low. 😉

• Like 6
On 10/6/2023 at 10:24 PM, Toothbrush said:

5/5 with *
I literally hung my head when Friday’s category was announced, just knowing that my streak for the week would end, but luckily it was very obviously a French composer & deBusy was the only one I could think of. 

I'm not sure whether "deBusy" was intentional, but he certainly has lots of twiddly bits to keep your fingers on their toes, so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Week 5 – Oct. 9  Two Asterisks
21.     WOMEN AUTHORS - In "A Room of One’s Own", the "four famous names" are Austen, 2 Brontës & this author who died closest to Virginia Woolf’s own time (George Eliot)
22.     NEW ZEALAND – Christchurch is the largest city in this New Zealand region that shares its name with an English city known for a church begun in the 6th century (Canterbury)
23.     *FINE ART - An early owner of this 1889 painting full of blue & green noted how well the artist "understood the exquisite nature of flowers!" (Irises)
24.     WORD ORIGINS - Though it meant "seasickness" in Latin, this 6-letter word now refers to a more general feeling of sickness (nausea)
25.     *ROYALTY - Before his death in 2005, he said he was "probably the last head of state to be able to recognize all his compatriots in the street" (Prince Rainier of Monaco)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3/5 **

I'm bringing my new invention: chicken stoup. It's somewhere between a stew and a soup, and is super tasty over rice... or maybe my company was just being polite in their "you should post this somewhere!" comments.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Bliss said:

3/5 **

I'm bringing my new invention: chicken stoup. It's somewhere between a stew and a soup, and is super tasty over rice... or maybe my company was just being polite in their "you should post this somewhere!" comments.

Having lost my one really good recipe from the 1980s in my many moves, I strongly encourage you to share your @Bliss’s Chicken Stew Over Rice recipe here ASAP.

My long lost recipe was a casserole with rice and cheese and mild green chilies, but I can’t recall what else, and I’m pretty sure I’ve forgotten a key ingredient 
— which is also how my brain fails me when I’m playing Jeopardy!
hence my 0/5 this week.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 4
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yay, 1/5. I’ll bring the Dramamine. I’m still trying to track how the actual contestants are doing; I’ll come back and update when I get back to my desktop. 

To make it official:  week 5:  1/5, no *.  Overall 10/25, 1*

Contestants this week:  4/15 - I did only slightly worse than they did!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m quite mad at myself for missing nausea. I’m a retired RN so duh

Yeah, I switched too quickly from nauseous to queasy, and stayed there because the number of letters matched, but knowing it wasn't right.
The nautical "nau" in nausea and nauseous escaped me, probably because my brain always pauses to consider which is the correct form of the word to use: nausea, nauseated, or nauseous. 
Too often I waste half the 30 seconds thinking I don't have time to think.

On Monday I was not helped by having read most of George Eliot's works — some more than once, and at least one aloud.
Instead, I got hung up on trying to remember Louisa May Alcott's name.
Even though I do know Virginia Woolf wrote "A Room of One's One," somehow I've never actually read it, so I don't feel like I deserved to get that FJ anyway.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4
  • Hugs 2

1/5, which doesn't look as bad as it should, judging from many of the scores here! Rough week. I went through a process on Thursday like many here, focused on 'seasickness' and thought of nauseous, then trimmed it to the required six letters with a few seconds to spare. It's fun being able to reason one's way to the answer! Too bad it doesn't happen more often. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, Bliss said:

3/5 **

3/5 *

I love stoup and make, eat and freeze it all the time, because I still haven't learnt how to cook for one, rather than four.  And I'm sure my fellow posters on a food site I visit are sick of my stories of delicious stoups I've made from leftovers.  Maybe I'll dig out some of the frosty dinosaurs from the back of the freezer to bring.  They're virtual so they'll still taste good, promise.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But even though I do know Virginia Woolf wrote "A Room of One's One," somehow I've never actually read it, so I don't feel like I deserved to get that FJ.

Deserving a point does not require reading the book, or even actually knowing the answer.  Fortunately for many of us, lucky guesses count!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Week five: one of five with one of the asterisks. I've been to Monaco and seen the graves of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier, so Friday was a piece of cake. The rest of the week, not so much.

For the rest of the table for one, I'll bring Western Pennsylvania's best chocolate-covered pretzels from Sarris Candies. Yum! (They have peanut butter covered pretzels, too!)

image.thumb.png.90f75db27bf4dda06faead33c542cc3a.png

• Like 5
6 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Week five: one of five with one of the asterisks. I've been to Monaco and seen the graves of Princess Grace and Prince Rainier, so Friday was a piece of cake. The rest of the week, not so much.

For the rest of the table for one, I'll bring Western Pennsylvania's best chocolate-covered pretzels from Sarris Candies. Yum! (They have peanut butter covered pretzels, too!)

Well, heck. I expected a piece of cake, not pretzels! LOL

• LOL 2

1/5 no *

I knew I would come down to earth after two great weeks but I'm really disappointed in myself for missing Friday's FJ.  I'm a regular in The Royals thread and I thought I knew all the European monarchs well. I blame my failure on my refusal to think of Monaco's current Prince Albert of the Baggy Pants.

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
(edited)
On 10/14/2023 at 6:41 PM, Ancaster said:

I love stoup and make, eat and freeze it all the time, because I still haven't learnt how to cook for one, rather than four.  And I'm sure my fellow posters on a food site I visit are sick of my stories of delicious stoups I've made from leftovers.  Maybe I'll dig out some of the frosty dinosaurs from the back of the freezer to bring.  They're virtual so they'll still taste good, promise.

My soups are all stoups, I like lots of veggies and some meat. I started making them (and freezing them) when I was taking my lunch to work, but now I like to have at least two types available to choose from for lunch if I want soup. For the most part, no one in my family eats them (the mister is meat and potatoes, the others tend toward more exotic foods). So I can go awhile between making them. I recently started making "leftover soup" - and I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

I got 1 asterisk for nausea - and would have gotten Monaco if I'd thought of a Prince as head of state - I was going strictly by kings and queens. Sigh..

BTW, Saber says hi to you all. She can read the forum, but unfortunately still cannot post. I think she might like having a break from being the contest runner. 😉 She's very appreciative of all the nice things ya'll have said regarding her on the forum. She is still participating through email.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Thanks 4

3/5 with 1 *.  Ended up with another OhiO week (round on the ends and high in the middle with my T-Th streak).  It has been so long since I read A Room of One's Own that I couldn't even make an educated guess.  Got lucky on Canterbury and nausea (which is an odd thing to write) but was sure on Irises probably due to the parental Grundoons instilling the art museum habit in my early with particular fondness for the Impressionists and post-Impressionists.  

On my way home from work on Friday, I swung by my favorite cider mill so I will offer up some Honey Crisp Cider and a baked apple crisp (variety of apples used) with vanilla ice cream on the side.  

Thanks for the @saber5055update - she is missed.  

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

BTW, Saber says hi to you all. She can read the forum, but unfortunately still cannot post. I think she might like having a break from being the contest runner. 😉 She's very appreciative of all the nice things ya'll have said regarding her on the forum.

👋🐶🐕‍🦺🐕🦮👋

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I blame my failure on my refusal to think of Monaco's current Prince Albert of the Baggy Pants.

At least you didn’t rename Prince Rainier “Prince Philip”. 🙄🙄🙄

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
13 hours ago, theartandsound said:

Sorry guys for the extreme tardiness. Been under the weather recently but I think I'm making a recovery! @Clanstarling lemme know if you are missing anything else from me for this season.

Week 3 (2 OCT): 3/5, one *

Week 4 (9 OCT): 3/5, one *

Nope, all caught up now. No worries about the tardiness, hope you're feeling much better.

• Like 2
  • Love 1