Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Cake Week

• Start Topic

The new host seems to be bringing a “kinder gentler” vibe to the show than any of the previous hosts, even back to the BBC days, which I appreciated.

My only complaint with the first episode was that either the bakers are too skilled or the technical was too easy. I don’t want to see contestants scratching their heads over some obscure pastry they’ve never heard of, but watching them being nit picked over the right shade of their ganache in order to find a winner doesn’t seem right either.

• Like 3
On 9/30/2023 at 12:19 PM, tljgator said:

The only thing that might have outdone the beaver jokes would be someone doing an "Are You Being Served" homage to Mrs. Slocum's pussy (IYKYK).

Really solid start to the season -- liked all the contestants, liked the challenges, liked the new co-host. Hopeful for a return to form (even if I'll always miss Mary)!

Now that would have been hilarious.  Love Mrs. Slocombe (and her pussy).  One of my all time favourite shows.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
17 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

Quick question for British folks - what particular regional accent does Alison have? That one seems relatively common, but beyond RP /Northern-ish (I know ther are variations!) /Cockney(?) some of the more subtle variations escape me.

Alison comes from the city of Birmingham, which is in the West Midlands region in England.

image.png.4f74252d20378290fb94242c3ace4096.png

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
5 hours ago, Rickster said:

My only complaint with the first episode was that either the bakers are too skilled or the technical was too easy. I don’t want to see contestants scratching their heads over some obscure pastry they’ve never heard of, but watching them being nit picked over the right shade of their ganache in order to find a winner doesn’t seem right either.

I agree. When the judges were going on about the ganache being too light, I was all, "Oh come ON!" Obviously they had to nitpick something because the cakes were nearly all identical. The biggest problem seemed to be runny ganache inside. 

It's nice to see everyone so competent, and I suspect we'll see more challenging challenges as the season progresses.

• Like 3

I don't mind the simplicity of the technical.  There were plenty of areas to go wrong.  It's super easy to overbake chocolate cake. Then there's the consistency of the ganache and the tent is known for being unforgiving on days that chocolate work is involved.  I did find it funny that everyone couldn't decide whether to decorate it full raspberry or leave off one.

• Like 14
On 9/29/2023 at 4:10 AM, dleighg said:

Having your buttercream curdle twice seems careless. I looked it up and it's because the butter was too cold. Amateur error.

Well, that would be because they, like most of us, are amateurs.

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
33 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Well, that would be because they, like most of us, are amateurs.

But anyone who thinks they can be on this show should have a buttercream recipe in their pocket. Hell, the kids on Kids Baking Championship know how to make it. What's Matty's excuse?

• Like 4

I love fresh blueberries, but dislike them when cooked. To me the tartness of the fresh berries is lost and the result is too sweet. But I was also confused by Prue’s comment about blueberries having no flavor. 

I’m so happy the show is back. So funny to see the infamous missing raspberry cake as the technical challenge. In the opening of the American version of the show, which is vastly inferior, a hand supplies the missing berry. 

Speaking of accents, as an American I once had to do a British accent for a show I was in, so I sat down to watch “Are You Being Served,” and was dismayed to find that every single person in the cast had a different accent! I had thought that there was upper class British and cockney. Obviously I was incorrect. This was many years ago and I have watched many many British television shows since those ignorant days. 

The animal cakes were a fun showstopper without being too gimmicky. If this season is more back to basics, that will be a good thing.  

• Like 4
21 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Abbi is the poppy seed forager. I like her. She looks like she stepped out of 1940s England. 

Very Georgie Henley as Lucy Pevensie, I thought 😉

• Like 3

Yes, Amos was channeling an American actor for me. Maybe Bill Nunn? 1270_v9_ba.thumb.jpg.744fcb42672c12c01d442096e1cfaecc.jpg

On 9/29/2023 at 9:33 PM, caitmcg said:

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that, as an Oaklander, I was amused by Amos's green-and-yellow 'A' sweater, as it's an A's sweater, down to the font, just minus the 's.

100%! I really wish Amos had stuck around. He seemed talented, and just lovely. Embodiment of "gentle giant."

On 10/1/2023 at 8:46 AM, libgirl2 said:

Abbi is the poppy seed forager. I like her. She looks like she stepped out of 1940s England. 

She looks like she came to the tent from the set of Call the Midwife.

I enjoyed Alison, and the general feeling that less is more from the presenters. I didn't hate Matt, but two oddballs was more than enough.

I was really glad Tasha redeemed herself in the showstopper. Paul really kept her on the hook about whether or not he approved! Also -- she and Paul can go toe to toe on whose eyes are more intensely blue. 

Nobody too unlikeable or too inept at this point! Matty's buttercream was disappointing, but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he might have been getting adjusted to the tools provided in the tent. 

I might be the only person who isn't bothered by the raspberry placement in the intro cake. More than anything, I want to eat that cake. Chocolate and raspberry are my faves.

Edited by lovinbob
  • Like 4

I got a kick out of the technical. I've never noticed the missing raspberry either. I will have to pay better attention next time. It does look like there are berries missing at the bottom.

Dan seems a clear front runner but it's early days. We all know how that goes, sometimes they start off strong and then in one show it's disaster after disaster. 

Still, it's very rare for someone to start out really poorly then end up winning.

Saku is pretty adorable.

• Like 3

I liked Dan, Abbi and Tasha well enough to remember their names a few days after I watched the show.  Really didn't totally dislike anybody.

Not sure where I saw it (okay, it was on yahoo.com) but there's a cute TicTok of Allison thanking the viewers for their praise of her first appearance and she's dancing with the bakers.

• Like 4

I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode, from the opening bit to the very end. It seems the show is going to actually return to the format that made it so much fun to watch. Baking. Not building, cooking, frying, etc. I love the old time bakes, or obscure ones.

All the contestants seem competent. I wish the first episode didn't send anyone home, it's heartbreaking. I like that none of them have some over-the-top schtick/gimmick/way of dressing etc. Goth gal from a previous season springs to mind.

I don't miss Matt one bit. He was not a good fit at all, and he never found his stride here. I love Noel, but 2 goofs at the same time was too much. I loved Sandy with him, and the 2 original gals were the best IMO.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

But anyone who thinks they can be on this show should have a buttercream recipe in their pocket. Hell, the kids on Kids Baking Championship know how to make it. What's Matty's excuse?

He's not an American child with hyper-competitive parents and dreams of $$$?

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 4
5 hours ago, lovinbob said:

Yes, Amos was channeling an American actor for me. Maybe Bill Nunn? 1270_v9_ba.thumb.jpg.744fcb42672c12c01d442096e1cfaecc.jpg

100%! I really wish Amos had stuck around. He seemed talented, and just lovely. Embodiment of "gentle giant."

She looks like she came to the tent from the set of Call the Midwife.

I enjoyed Alison, and the general feeling that less is more from the presenters. I didn't hate Matt, but two oddballs was more than enough.

I was really glad Tasha redeemed herself in the showstopper. Paul really kept her on the hook about whether or not he approved! Also -- she and Paul can go toe to toe on whose eyes are more intensely blue. 

Nobody too unlikeable or too inept at this point! Matty's buttercream was disappointing, but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he might have been getting adjusted to the tools provided in the tent. 

I might be the only person who isn't bothered by the raspberry placement in the intro cake. More than anything, I want to eat that cake. Chocolate and raspberry are my faves.

I think that’s him! I’m gonna say it is bc otherwise my brain will keep flipping through my mental filing cabinet and I have other things I need it to do…

I adored that opening!!! I’ve watched it 3 times! It’s the type of humour that appeals to me, I was squealing with glee at some of the lines!

Beaver cake was my favourite. It was so so so adorable! Many of the animal cakes were awesome. Really like this bunch! I’ve found the recent years contestants a bit lacklustre (especially when compared to the Australian, Canadian and American versions) but this batch look like that can bake.

• Like 5
22 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

I don't miss Matt one bit. He was not a good fit at all, and he never found his stride here.

I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Matt. It's Sandy I never warmed up to. But so far I like Alison (or is it Allison? One or two L's?). She seems like a good fit. She's got good energy but isn't overbearing.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed Matt. It's Sandy I never warmed up to. But so far I like Alison (or is it Allison? One or two L's?). She seems like a good fit. She's got good energy but isn't overbearing.

My husband started watching the show for Noel and then kept on for Matt. He is sad that he is gone. 

• Like 2

I liked Matt, too.  Got tired of the Sandy-directed short jokes (I'm short).  Either Matt OR Noel with a softer partner (like Alison) would have been fine.  But they got to be like frat brothers, and it was a little much.

• Like 15
On 10/1/2023 at 10:47 PM, Jodithgrace said:

I love fresh blueberries, but dislike them when cooked. To me the tartness of the fresh berries is lost and the result is too sweet. But I was also confused by Prue’s comment about blueberries having no flavor.

Wasn't she saying that it's tricky to cook them in a way that allows them to retain their flavor?

For those who agree with the quoted sentence above, I commend the blueberry pie recipe in Virginia Rich's The Baked Bean Supper Murders (part of a mystery series that includes recipes for everything mentioned), designed to deal with the problem: it combines a cooked berry filling with raw berries in a prebaked pie shell, topped with whipped cream.

• Like 1

Ah, bliss ! Wonderful to have new shows to watch. The previous week I went back and watched all the episodes that are on Netflix, including most of the Kids ones. I’m peeved it only seasons 5 thru this present are there though. Netflix needs to figure something out with Love Productions.

I 💕 them all so far and was very sad to see Amos go, and how upset he was. 😞 The brunette gal didn’t get as much time as everybody else, it seemed to me.

All the cakes were very interesting to me, and I would’ve liked to have tasted many of them. I love the way Dan decorated the outside of his rhubarb cake. The highland cow, the robin, and the beaver were so cute.

On Twitter, I muted GBBO so I don’t get spoiled, like I have in the past. 

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, marinite said:

I’m peeved it only seasons 5 thru this present are there though.

The early ones are on the Roku channel, even the first two, which I had never seen before Roku started to carry it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Wasn't she saying that it's tricky to cook them in a way that allows them to retain their flavor?

For those who agree with the quoted sentence above, I commend the blueberry pie recipe in Virginia Rich's The Baked Bean Supper Murders (part of a mystery series that includes recipes for everything mentioned), designed to deal with the problem: it combines a cooked berry filling with raw berries in a prebaked pie shell, topped with whipped cream.

That's the ticket. For a similar recipe online, this is the one from Rose Levy Beranbaum's classic Pie and Pastry Bible. Or for a tart, Alice Medrich's recipe (I love the her tart crust, so easy and with a wonderful texture).

38 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

The early ones are on the Roku channel, even the first two, which I had never seen before Roku started to carry it.

Those first two were never broadcast in the US. You can watch the Roku channel free online, as well as via a Roku device.

• Like 2
On 9/30/2023 at 3:30 PM, dleighg said:

I'm too lazy to go back and check, but did the baker of one of the signature bakes (the vertical spiral) say that it was inspired by a Cosmopolitan cocktail-- but it he didn't mention cranberries???? It *was* pink as I recall.

He said cherries, which I found puzzling.

I also could've sworn broken-buttercream-guy literally said outloud the butter was too cold, so it's not that he didn't know what went wrong...

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, theatremouse said:
On 9/30/2023 at 3:30 PM, dleighg said:

I'm too lazy to go back and check, but did the baker of one of the signature bakes (the vertical spiral) say that it was inspired by a Cosmopolitan cocktail-- but it he didn't mention cranberries???? It *was* pink as I recall.

He said cherries, which I found puzzling.

I also could've sworn broken-buttercream-guy literally said outloud the butter was too cold, so it's not that he didn't know what went wrong...

The cosmo-inspired cake was the lobster showstopper, per wikipedia, and yes, he said cherries. Cranberries would've worked just as well paired with orange and lime, though.

I think you're right about the cold butter comment, so I assumme it was a case of rushing to try and get things done (and probably nerves) on the first challenge.

• Like 1
On 9/30/2023 at 2:37 PM, HelloooKitty said:

Oh, something that could be fun to look for is to see if they are utilizing an assisted listening device for Tasha. ALDs would transmit sound directly to her implant for processing instead of it having to “pick it up”. It would come in very handy during time calls. They come in different forms but I’d look for one of the hosts to be wearing a neckloop with a long looking pendent in it or something that looks like a pen.

I was thinking during the showstopper judging, that she probably has a better idea of what's going on during that than most people do. I imagine that a lot of people, especially if they're toward the back of the tent, have to strain to hear what they're saying up there, and her interpreter is standing right next to the judges, hearing everything.

On 10/1/2023 at 6:39 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Especially since it's his own recipe. Can't their non-technical recipes be as detailed as they want them to be? If the buttercream is something that's difficult for him but he still wanted to do it, he could write himself notes. It's weird to me that he identified that the butter was too cold and then had the same problem with his second batch.

1 hour ago, Johnny Dollar said:

because the only thing better than a beaver joke is a joke about Uranus

pet peeve of mine. I wrote my PhD dissertation on the rings of Uranus, and NO planetary scientist pronounces it the way (apparently) 10 year old boys do. The emphasis is on the first syllable. 

• Hugs 1
14 hours ago, dleighg said:

pet peeve of mine. I wrote my PhD dissertation on the rings of Uranus, and NO planetary scientist pronounces it the way (apparently) 10 year old boys do. The emphasis is on the first syllable. 

At least when I was growing up, when we recited the mnemonic device for remembering the 9 planets, we always said Ur-AY-nus. But that was long before we knew better 😏

22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I liked Matt, too.  Got tired of the Sandy-directed short jokes (I'm short).  Either Matt OR Noel with a softer partner (like Alison) would have been fine.  But they got to be like frat brothers, and it was a little much.

I also like Matt, but in other things.  My feeling about him co-hosting with Noel was that they seemed to be trying to outdo each other -- who could come up with strangest, weirdest, bits. And a combination of two personality types like that gets tedious after a while. I'm sorry it didn't work out for Matt.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:03 AM, RoxiP said:

Perhaps I'm weird but I actually really never paid any attention to the missing raspberry on the opening cake.  

I never did either but I think I now know why - someone said it above.  In the US, because the show is named GBBS instead of GBBO, we have a different opening to accommodate the logo change, and in ours, a hand reaches in to supply the missing raspberry. So there technically isn't one.

9 hours ago, Rammchick said:

At least when I was growing up, when we recited the mnemonic device for remembering the 9 planets, we always said Ur-AY-nus. But that was long before we knew better 😏

I also like Matt, but in other things.  My feeling about him co-hosting with Noel was that they seemed to be trying to outdo each other -- who could come up with strangest, weirdest, bits. And a combination of two personality types like that gets tedious after a while. I'm sorry it didn't work out for Matt.

I never did either but I think I now know why - someone said it above.  In the US, because the show is named GBBS instead of GBBO, we have a different opening to accommodate the logo change, and in ours, a hand reaches in to supply the missing raspberry. So there technically isn't one.

My Very Elegant Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas with Xtra toppings is the mnemonic I learned. Yes, I'm old.

I had no idea that reason I did not notice the missing raspberry was because you literally don't see it in the US version. I thought I was just inattentive.

13 hours ago, jcbrown said:

My Very Elegant Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas with Xtra toppings is the mnemonic I learned. Yes, I'm old.

Perhaps I'm even older than you -- ours was My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles. 

• Like 2

Oh, I am so happy that this charming little baking show is back!  I'm enjoying the new host, Alison, though I was sad to see Matt leave.  I think Noel and Alison may be the perfect combo!

The intro "Breadfather" was clever and fun.  I loved seeing everyone in their retro outfits, especially Pru!

It broke my heart to see Amos crying at the end.  I agree with others that having a non elimination week might soften the blow of being the first to go.  

Congrats to Dan- he had some amazing bakes this week.  (I sure wish we had taste-o-vision!)

• Like 2
On 9/29/2023 at 6:10 AM, dleighg said:

Having your buttercream curdle twice seems careless. I looked it up and it's because the butter was too cold. Amateur error.

I was impressed at how well the hearing-impaired woman speaks. Does anyone know the backstory of her impairment? I see she wears a device.

Her eyes are so blue. Kind of like Paul’s, but his is more of a sky blue, but hers are like cerulean and so beautiful.

42 minutes ago, janie jones said:

What does the Xtra Toppings stand for? (We learned My Very Excellent Mother...)

Planet X was thought to be a thing beyond Pluto (poor demoted Pluto) when I learned the mnemonic.

On 10/3/2023 at 6:03 PM, dleighg said:

I'm 60, and it was always Your Anus when I was growing up (in England), including by scientists.  If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it didn't also become pronounced You're an Uss until the 80s.  It's not a word that comes up often in my day to day conversation, but if it did, I'd probably still use the original pronunciation.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
On 10/5/2023 at 10:31 AM, Rammchick said:

Perhaps I'm even older than you -- ours was My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles. 

I went to the school of “Men Very Early Make Jars Stand Up Neatly, Period.” 

alas, poor Pluto. We hardly knew ye. 

• Like 2
On 10/2/2023 at 2:18 PM, HelloooKitty said:

I think that’s him! I’m gonna say it is bc otherwise my brain will keep flipping through my mental filing cabinet and I have other things I need it to do…

Dang! I know who you’re talking about and I can easily picture him. I’m pretty sure he was on an episode of Law & Order SVU as a supporting player, but darned if I can find him in the episode guide on IMDB. I may have to give up as well. 

On 10/1/2023 at 9:39 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

I've watched enough baking comps where professional bakers have their buttercream curdle to not be surprised at it happening here. (Same with multiple tries to get caramel correct.)

• Like 2