Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

I've been watching since the Trista days, and two subjects are never televised:  religion and politics.

So if they did discuss these things, they did it in private, or if they were on camera, it wasn't aired.

Rumor had it that previous Bachelorette Rachel and one of her last guys, Zach (who became The Bachelor) discussed politics in the Fantasy Suite, and it did not go well, resulting in the breakup.  Zach took himself out of the running after what apparently was a very heated night, and not in the way one wants heat in the bedroom.  Again, just a rumor.

Wasn't there an issue on Tayshia's season where one of her "gentlemen" was agnostic and she didn't want that?

• Like 3
45 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

Wasn't there an issue on Tayshia's season where one of her "gentlemen" was agnostic and she didn't want that?

Yes, one of her final 3--Riley.  But I suspect at that point she wasn't into him romantically.  Religion was the excuse but probably not the reason. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

I know.    And that season got a lot of blow back.   I don’t think that’s an option anymore.  

It could be for religious reasons.

I know of only one religious example for a wig: a married Jewish Orthodox woman. 

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Like 8

I felt like Gerry was having an actual conversation with Theresa vs the high school antics with Leslie.

Good for her and her finance career.  I guess the daughters comments about her coming over every day was an exaggeration? I figured if Gerry chose her she would be waiting on  him hand and foot.  But now that she’s a working woman I have a better perspective of her.

Isn’t Faith still working as a radio Dj? 

• Like 4

It's interesting that we haven't seen Gerry tell Theresa that he loves her. He does say it in his voice over/talking head, but during the morning after their overnight, he made a point to emphasize that Theresa knows how he feels. Perhaps he is waiting for the big public display to be if/when he gives her the final rose…?

His word-vomiting with Leslie almost seems insincere in comparison. In fairness, up until this point, it appears he was operating on surface level and lust with these women, which explains why he seemed to be so blown away by his conversation with Theresa where he's simply learning more about who she is. 

Her remembering that he sleeps on the right side of the bed because she once asked - and he didn't even remember that she did! - is such a small thing but I think significant in her commitment to this. And that she hasn't been with anyone since her husband, that's huge. For that, alone, I hope Gerry doesn't break her heart. (I know Theresa is aware of the risks, putting her heart on the line, but as an outsider looking in I think it'd feel pretty shitty that she finally lets herself be intimate with another man in that way, only for him to pick the other girl.)

And Theresa definitely has her 💩 together! All this time, it seemed like the perception of Theresa is that she would fall all over herself for Gerry, but she's actually a pretty independent woman. She just knows what's important to her and prioritizes accordingly. 

It's too bad production was only a month, vs 2-3 months with the regular franchise. This season is rushed, and a little bit more time to learn about all of the women would've made this season even better. Perhaps they'll give future seasons of The Golden franchise more time to breathe. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

In the Fantasy Suites we only see a few minutes of their conversations--whatever the producers choose to show us.  We heard Leslie and G talk about where they would live, and she was honest that she did not want to leave Minneapolis permanently.  I assume T & G also discussed that, but they did not show us that discussion.  MN is closer to Indiana that NJ is, and T is quite involved with her children and grands. I think it would be harder for her to see less of her family than for Leslie.  But L said it had been a year since she had sex, and T has not been with anyone since her husband died 4 years ago, and I think G might prefer that. He was deliberately vague about his recent sex life.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

It's too bad production was only a month, vs 2-3 months with the regular franchise. This season is rushed, and a little bit more time to learn about all of the women would've made this season even better. Perhaps they'll give future seasons of The Golden franchise more time to breathe. 

I wonder if that is because these people actually have lives to take care of.  As opposed to the regular franchises where they are only taking time out from buying their plane tickets to BIP.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
7 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Oh I think everybody had a good idea what everyone did first week in. Where they live, marital status of divorced or widowed and work they do. 

Gerry might have money but with inflation every retiree needs and wants more!

Not sure type of restaurant Gerry owned but mom and pop type restaurants are in every little town in Indiana!  They make a living but nothing much and lake houses are mostly one and two bedroom homes retirees seem to like!

Theresa can continue her work anywhere and I’ll bet she’s very wealthy. 

Theresa for the win!

I'm a retiree and I worked hard at saving money and being pretty careful with money all my working life, I now don't care about it and I'm more concerned with spending what I have.  As far as inflation, it's generally an OK thing for retired people as gov pensions are increased according to the rate of inflation and any savings get to earn extra income as usually higher interest rates are reflected during inflation. For me it's one of the few real joys about being older.

I too want Theresa to win but I think she will be happy either way.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1
17 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

No need for a Spoiler tag about a previous season. Yes. Bachelor Brad Womack picked no-one.

IMO, there is ZERO possibility that Gerry similarly picks no-one. Such a Finale would put the Golden Kibosh on any future elder iterations. (I don't read "Reality Steve" Spoilers, FWIW.) But if I'm wrong, I'm all in for the deluge of complaints to ABC. 

Gerry is a people pleaser,  just like he kisses  all the women and tells all of them he loves them,  he  will pick someone to satisfy the producers.

He  will stay with the person long enough to make him look good to the audience that he tried his best.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

Ok, been thinking about this...Teresa presents herself as a financial savant and her daughter saying she needed to come by daily. Rather needy, imo.

And when she and Gerry were "chatting" she could not stop agreeing before he even finished his thought! Over and over, again. Kind of like, yes, yes, whatever you say...it is so wonderful! I get you, no need to continue...

And how do we measure her day trader financial experience into a huge success? 

• Like 8
10 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

Teresa has a wig, which is I suspect one reason she got the easier, horseback riding date, as that whole thing would have flown off on a rappel date.

She may have very sparse or fine hair, so while I'm not hating on her for her hair enhancements, girl needs a better stylist.  Yes, it's way too dark, and way too much for her tiny-ness.  Her hair is wider than her entire body.

If it's a wig why are there patches of her scalp showing so often? And why wasn't she wearing pants after Fantasy Suite?

The rappelling date down the waterfall looked horrendous to me. I would have hated that so much. Leslie was a good sport but I think she hated it too. She looks and acts high and I don't thinks she's a good match for Gerry.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
On 11/17/2023 at 11:03 PM, endure said:

Or Faith comes back and they ride off into the sunset together lol.

Remember the scene where Gerry and the one he picked are walking into the sunset?  The woman was tall, and Teresa is short.    ????????

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
6 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Remember the scene where Gerry and the one he picked are walking into the sunset?  The woman was tall, and Teresa is short.    ????????

Leslie isn't that tall, either. Who knows when that shot was taken? Or with whom?

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 6

Leslie better cut the sex talk out.  Gerry is 72 years old.  What bothers a man most is pressure regarding performance.  I really think the woman is sex starved.  Go get a boy toy.  Gerry is looking for a companion, not a wired up 69er.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

People are bummed the show isn't on this week but I know that we will have football on all day Thanksgiving (I am not into football but it's a tradition). My daughter and I may end up watching Leo on Netflix, Adam Sandler voices a lizard and it looks really cute. I have been enjoying this show more than I thought I would, and it's fun talking about it here so I kind of hate to see it end.

• Like 6
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Ok, been thinking about this...Teresa presents herself as a financial savant and her daughter saying she needed to come by daily. Rather needy, imo.

And when she and Gerry were "chatting" she could not stop agreeing before he even finished his thought! Over and over, again. Kind of like, yes, yes, whatever you say...it is so wonderful! I get you, no need to continue...

She says she has several securities clearances, which apparently is impressive. I don't know anything about the industry. 

I don't think being smart is incongruous with being willing to go along with what her man says.  There are women (and some men too but it has been more expected of women in society) who are perfectly content to put aside their own ambition in service to what their man wants. 

Heck, it sounds like she only went to work because her husband thought she'd get good health insurance.  That's a respectable reason but it's a far cry from her feeling like she was missing out on a professional life. 

Because of that, I'm not surprised to hear her sound like she'd be willing to walk away from all that for Gerry.  Plus, she's in her 70s so she'd likely want to retire some time if she found a better way to spend her golden years.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 7
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Yes, but someone pointed out on here that the scene was from one of the episodes that we have already seen, maybe the wedding dress one?

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

The producers are known to play these mind tricks on us, like showing us a Gerry and someone walking in the sunset, editing it to look like that's his final pick, when it could very well be from some random date earlier in the season.

Whoever he chooses, we will all be interested in the follow-up.  I've said all along that at this stage in life, picking up one's life and moving to a different place is a very difficult decision.  

In the regular Bachelor series, they are in their 20's/early 30's, so moving is a part of life.  But with kids, grandkids, lifelong friends, and just a way of life that one enjoys, the move is difficult.  Which is why he perked up when Leslie said they'll "figure it out", and that perhaps they keep homes in both places.  

But the older one gets, the more of a hassle travel is.  It's been a long time since I've carried my stuff home in a bag from the night before, lol.

• Like 6
  • Wink 2
10 hours ago, kristen111 said:

10 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Leslie isn't that tall, either. Who knows when that shot was taken? Or with whom?

It was the wedding shoot. The woman is Nancy. She was in near tears trying to do the shoot and Gerry picked up on it. She was upset because the last time she wore a wedding dress, it was when she married her, now-deceased, husband. Gerry fully understood and comforted her. And that was her walking off into the sunset with him. She stayed that Rose Ceremony, but they mutually agreed they didn't have as strong a connection as Gerry had with some of the other women and she went home before the next ceremony.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

It's not like he's going to propose and they immediately get married and then move into Gerry's lake house.   

And even if one of them eventually does this,  I don't agree that it is leaving your old life behind. 

They have to figure out a way to combine both their lives.   Just because Gerry is the bachelor, doesn't mean he gets to pluck someone from the bunch of bachelorettes and put them  in his life.      I don't think he thinks that either.  

Planes , trains and automobiles folks!   Social media, face time .   People can stay connected easily.    No one has to give up anything.   Change is good and refreshing.   

Keep both homes and flit back and forth.   At this stage I don't think either has to uproot  completely.   There are so many options.  

Whoever he picks, there will be compromise.   

Look at me, acting like i take this show seriously!   lol  

• Like 4
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I’m not watching, just reading here.  They made each woman wear a wedding dress?  Why?   

No, it was a photoshoot group date, and the women wore various costumes. Three or four wore wedding gowns for some stupid production reason. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The long discussion we were shown about T's financial acumen got me wondering--does she have an advantage because of her money? She seems to live in an upscale area and presumably has good retirement accounts, while Leslie lives in a small condo and does not appear to have had a lucrative career. Big G might enjoy being a Sugar Daddy for a while, but may want a long-term partner who is financially stable.  So if he actually views his choice here as a serious commitment ( and I doubt that he does) it would be Theresa. If he's out for fun, fame, and a fling, it's Leslie.

ETA:  Even if he is not in it for the long-run, he could still pick T to make the producers happy that he did not go for younger and sexier. Then when it "just didn't work out," he'll be on TV again wailing about how awful that felt.  

Edited by MBayGal
added a new thought just because
  • Like 4
17 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I think she said she started out buying a few stocks then day trading.   I think her success would be measured by the big finance company that hired her and her present position with that company. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
On 11/18/2023 at 7:48 PM, endure said:

I'm a retiree and I worked hard at saving money and being pretty careful with money all my working life, I now don't care about it and I'm more concerned with spending what I have.  As far as inflation, it's generally an OK thing for retired people as gov pensions are increased according to the rate of inflation and any savings get to earn extra income as usually higher interest rates are reflected during inflation. For me it's one of the few real joys about being older.

I too want Theresa to win but I think she will be happy either way.

A TO THE MEN!!!  
Retired Female never been married.  I had to make sure that I would be financially solvent whatever circumstances arose.  Especially when my company's contract with NASA came to an end.  I was effectively laid off before age 59.  Fortunately I was able to live on the golden parachute and unused vacation time until I could get my pension.  

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 8

I don’t know how to do a spoiler quote and not sure it’s a really qualifies

. It is just behind the scene facts / requirements about contestants  for bachelor shows from an Cosmopolitan article. Terrible at links too. It does go towards our finically discussion here that everyone has to provide their own clothing and have 14 rose ceremony dresses even if you aren’t going to make it past one.   They are approved so aren’t duplicates Reassuring is they have psychological testing and personality tests as well as background checks .  Since I didn’t read the article on the DuckDuck search engine was only able to make it to 23 of 61 fun facts.  One answered my question that romantic dinners they have and I never see them eat—- they are not to eat and have dinner in their room first. 
please let me know if I need to delete 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Starlight925 said:

The producers are known to play these mind tricks on us, like showing us a Gerry and someone walking in the sunset, editing it to look like that's his final pick, when it could very well be from some random date earlier in the season.

Whoever he chooses, we will all be interested in the follow-up.  I've said all along that at this stage in life, picking up one's life and moving to a different place is a very difficult decision.  

In the regular Bachelor series, they are in their 20's/early 30's, so moving is a part of life.  But with kids, grandkids, lifelong friends, and just a way of life that one enjoys, the move is difficult.  Which is why he perked up when Leslie said they'll "figure it out", and that perhaps they keep homes in both places.  

But the older one gets, the more of a hassle travel is.  It's been a long time since I've carried my stuff home in a bag from the night before, lol.

And if they’re both retired why not have homes or condos in both places.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, endure said:

And if they’re both retired why not have homes or condos in both places.

I wish I lived in your world! 🤑 My husband  and I were both retired teachers and there was no way we could have had "homes or condos in both places," any places!

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
5 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

My husband  and I were both retired teachers and there was no way we could have had "homes or condos in both places," any places!

Too bad you didn't work in Canada.  Two retired teaches here could have bought mansions in both places, as well as an airplane to travel between the two (exaggerating, but not by much.)

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
On 11/17/2023 at 10:59 PM, Jeanne222 said:

So after some careful consideration I’ve chosen who I think Gerry will chose!  Theresa the finance gal!

Can you imagine having someone that smart to handle the whole families finances!

Leslie might say she likes sex but Theresa is a proven financial whiz. 

Gerry and the producers can try to fool us into thinking 70 year olds are crazy for the hot sheets but the reality is they are really crazy about money. 

Work is behind most of us at that age but growing and protecting our nest eggs is essential!

I never did know what about Theresa was attracting Gerry.  Now I do. She’s good with money. 

It’s Theresa for the win for sure!  Watch for it!

Ok, so will Teresa move to Indiana away from the daughter and grandkids to sit by the river?  Hmmm, that’s a very hard decision.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I believe he will pick Teresa. It won’t work out and they’ll be broken up within 6 months but it’s the logical play. Teresa will ultimately not want to move away from her family. Makes for a nice clean grown up reason to break up. No hard feelings.

Leslie has made it clear she’s unlucky in love, her narrative is all broken heart and damaged from her past relationships. I think Gerry wants to sleep with her but she is not “wife” material and I think breaking up with her will be MUCH harder down the road if he gives her the final rose. No way the producers include Gerrys proclamation about her being “the one” if it was true. Its bachelor nation misdirect at its finest. 

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s where my money is.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3
On 11/19/2023 at 4:24 AM, Irlandesa said:

I don't think being smart is incongruous with being willing to go along with what her man says.  There are women (and some men too but it has been more expected of women in society) who are perfectly content to put aside their own ambition in service to what their man wants.

A good friend of mine who was a very smart, successful, self-made woman would drop everything and everyone for the men in her life.  It happens all the time.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
21 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

A woman who visits her daughter daily ain't movin' nowhere, baby! If Gerry (Indiana!) picks Theresa, he had better reconcile himself to being Gerry (NotIndiana!)!

The one sure bet, mes amis, is that we will see tears from someone! 😢 💔

Then again, maybe she visits daily because she is lonely. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Then again, maybe she visits daily because she is lonely. 

So, why can’t he live with Teresa in Jersey and see how it goes?  His daughters, if not married could live in his house and see how the arrangement goes.  Will this show lead to marriage right away?  It shouldn’t.  Funny, but Gerry seems to be doing quite well with the ladies before this show.  He was away down in the Islands when he got the call he was the Golden Bachelor.  He’s been on dates.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerry is like most of the other Bachelors/ettes who were just in it for the publicity.

"Wouldn't be surprised...." seems a pretty gentle way to put it.  

Edited by call me ishmael
typo
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 3
17 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

I don’t know how to do a spoiler quote and not sure it’s a really qualifies

. It is just behind the scene facts / requirements about contestants  for bachelor shows from an Cosmopolitan article. Terrible at links too.

If I may derail the thread for a moment:

For a spoiler, highlight the text you want to hide, and click the eyeball symbol at the top of the edit window.

Spoiler

Testing to make sure I described it right

For a link, highlight the address bar (url) of the page you want to link to and “copy” it (control/c or however you prefer), then in your post here, just “paste” it in. Like:  I like to play Wordle: https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Gerry might be willing to sell Toni's Dream Lake House for a new start, lest he keep on weepin' on. 😭 🤧 

My football game 🏈 is Friday evening, so Night of the Turkeys 🦃 I'll just watch some Golden Gerry re-runs! 

I think he sold their dream house after she died and he purchased another lakefront house in the same area.... I recall reading that somewhere.  I'm sure that was extremely emotional compared to all the Bachelor love shenanigans 🥹

16 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I wish I lived in your world! 🤑 My husband  and I were both retired teachers and there was no way we could have had "homes or condos in both places," any places!

Not my world either, but maybe theirs!!!  Mind you I do own my place so if I were to meet a golden bachelor in another locale, that could work.  But then again, I'm not giving up the single life! 😉

Edited by endure
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Ok, so will Teresa move to Indiana away from the daughter and grandkids to sit by the river?  Hmmm, that’s a very hard decision.  

No of course not!  They will keep her no maintenance condo and his lake side home.

I would think both of them would enjoy some travel and cruises together. 

Life will get exciting if they do in fact go through with it…I’m doubtful but who knows!

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

No of course not!  They will keep her no maintenance condo and his lake side home.

I would think both of them would enjoy some travel and cruises together. 

Life will get exciting if they do in fact go through with it…I’m doubtful but who knows!

One difference between Leslie and Theresa….Leslie may not be in a financial position to retire.  Theresa, on the other hand sounds like she had a lucrative career and just works now because she enjoys it and it keeps her busy.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gerry is like most of the other Bachelors/ettes who were just in it for the publicity.

Could be they are all there for the fun, travel, meals, adventures and the opportunity to make some new woman friends.

If they are all in on this it would explain how Gerry told several he loved them especially Leslie!  Nobody got hurt because they all knew the storyline!

When I read a mystery I always read the last chapter first so I know who the killer is!  That way all through the book I keep watching the killers moves!  It’s most interesting and could be exactly what’s happening here. 

They all know the end!

• Like 6
  • Useful 1