Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, endure said:

Traveling is hard work at any age imo. I traveled a lot when I was younger and often said you don't know what the future holds to justify why I would quit jobs etc to do that.  I ended up disabled later in life so for me it was the right thing..... and I have no desire to travel now.

The thought of just packing up an overnight bag makes me ill.  We went to Disney every year by car with three kids .. no problem.  Now, I’m satisfied to stay on my sofa and watch my movies and reality tv.  Go figure.

• Like 8
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, TomGirl said:

My husband and I are very careful going downstairs because our cat loves to lie in wait for us halfway down.  Some days we suspect he’s truly out to get us! 😼

I tripped head first into a wall in my Doctors office because of my new “Uggs”.  Ambulance took me to emergency for an MRI.  Careless.  Always in a hurry.  No more.  Lots of seniors falling over 60.

• Like 6
  • Hugs 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Loved this post as it is so true.  My Son worked for United Airlines and gave us free passes to anywhere in the world.  I’ve always wanted to go to Italy.  I declined as I had two in college at the time and didn’t want to spend the money in  Europe.  Time went by .. we both had back surgeries, etc.  No traveling.  So sorry I didn’t take advantage when I was in my early sixties.  Now, in our seventies, traveling is very hard, especially walking.  Do it now when you all are fit.  P.S.  Out of the blue, my husband had a heart attack and open heart surgery.  That kept us in the house for a long time.

We're in our 70's and did a Viking River cruise in Europe a few months ago.  There was an 11-hour flight and then a LOT of walking. It is exhausting, but we decided that if we wanted to do this again, it has to be soon.  It will just be too difficult in a few years. It was indeed a wake-up call. We are doing another one next year. We'll pace ourselves - just not ready to stop doing things we love. Not ready to retire to the couch quite yet.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

We're in our 70's and did a Viking River cruise in Europe a few months ago.  There was an 11-hour flight and then a LOT of walking. It is exhausting, but we decided that if we wanted to do this again, it has to be soon.  It will just be too difficult in a few years. It was indeed a wake-up call. We are doing another one next year. We'll pace ourselves - just not ready to stop doing things we love. Not ready to retire to the couch quite yet.

OMG, my dream vacation.  A river cruise in Europe.  Good for you both.  I heard it is Fabulous.  I would attempt, but husband said no.  Nuts.  I should go with my Sister actually.   A friend went and hardly got off the boat.  He loved staying on when they got to a port.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 10

First of all, where are my manners! THANK YOU for the Happy Birthday wishes! My friend and her brother fed me cake and wine, and then we watched "I, Tonya." Good times!

Secondly, if I may add to the interesting digression: My husband-to-be, basically  right after I said "Yes," informed me that he already had a plane ticket for England that summer (i.e., post-wedding), and would I care to join him?! 😳 🤪 🛫 (We were not your usual couple.)

That began a series of summers in Europe (and some Morocco) (a couple trips in the States, too), which were glorious and fabulous and tasty and educational, even with ER visits, a lost passport, stolen camera, and sleeping in our rental car! 

But we were in our 20s and 30s when we began, when schedules and bodies are often most flexible. 

Travel has the same "rule" as the bathroom: Go when you can. 🌎 🌍 🌏

Topic: Horses are in Indiana, too, but I still favor Leslie. 

Watch him pick Theresa. Psych!

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

I tripped head first into a wall in my Doctors office because of my new “Uggs”.  Ambulance took me to emergency for an MRI.  Careless.  Always in a hurry.  No more.  Lots of seniors falling over 60.

OMG I JUST had a fall about 30 min ago, I had to call the fire dept for a 'lift up'. I have MS so falling is a given but I try real hard to be careful - since I became walker dependent I do fall a lot less.  But you're right, more and more I'm hearing of people over 60 falling, you really need to stay focused as you age!

• Like 1
  • Hugs 13

Even though I don’t care for Kelly  Rippa I watched to see Gerry. He really comes off as a nice guy.  He was asked if he ever ran a marathon and he run 9 in the 80s. 
My fall story happened October of 22 . I have the BAD habit of sitting with my leg under me. I was sitting especially long  because I was reading office visit notes from a GI nurse practitioner I’d seen and 1) he was saying lots of stuff we didn’t talk about and 2) there were so many things I had to look up.   I stood up and turned and my numb foot got caught under my too long jean cuff. When people would ask I’d say sky diving? Fell off a bar stool?     It was amazing I hadn’t fallen the 6 months  previously because I had moved but it was uncertain if I was going to be able to stay so kept boxes packed in this small condo .   Had one of those ugly Frankenstein knee high boots on for 6 weeks plus it was my right ankle therefor no driving. Lockdown x10 plus I’m alone.  

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 9
  • Sad 3
  • Love 2

Faith and Leslie are both so guarded/wounded from past relationships and it makes me a bit sad to hear that Gerry's the first guy to make them feel safe, chosen, etc. Everyone has a past, but I wonder about Leslie's pattern of picking the wrong man instead of a mensch who treats her well. (Her own brother noted that Gerry is not at all the guy she's typically gone for.) Sometimes people think they don't deserve good things. I hope that's not the case here. That said, all three women seemed to have lovely families and it would be hard to leave that behind. 

Gerry seemed to be talking himself into loving Teresa. It's like, it didn't cross his mind as a possibility until her daughter raised the question and he hesitated. I was surprised at how demonstrative he was with Faith in front of her family. I think he's definitely fond of Teresa, but it's not a I can't keep my hands off you! kind of attraction.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, endure said:

OMG I JUST had a fall about 30 min ago, I had to call the fire dept for a 'lift up'. I have MS so falling is a given but I try real hard to be careful - since I became walker dependent I do fall a lot less.  But you're right, more and more I'm hearing of people over 60 falling, you really need to stay focused as you age!

What is it with this falling?  The trouble is “you can’t get up”.  That’s why you always have to have a phone near by.  Four times for me.  Also, taking a shower is dangerous too.  Yikes!  I love the Fire Dept.  aThey told me they get lots of calls for falling.  Embarrassing.  At least you’re ok.

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Love 2

I’m so glad the mods are (so far) tolerating our digressions into the joys of aging.  Nothing has been off limits, from gray hair to waning libido, constipation to falling.  I’m loving the personal stories and getting to “know” you guys better, many dating back to our days at Twop.  Who knew we were so old!?  I’m 74 myself!

• Like 4
  • Love 14
11 minutes ago, TomGirl said:

I’m so glad the mods are (so far) tolerating our digressions into the joys of aging.  Nothing has been off limits, from gray hair to waning libido, constipation to falling.  I’m loving the personal stories and getting to “know” you guys better, many dating back to our days at Twop.  Who knew we were so old!?  I’m 74 myself!

68 1/2

• Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TomGirl said:

It would be nice if there was a Small Talk thread for this show though.  I like to focus on the episodes.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

I have enjoyed this show so much - until this episode. I will never get telling three women definitely "I love you." It's just ridiculous. 

And I think we started to see one big disadvantage to the golden. these people are older and settled. they have grandkids and dream homes. they aren't just starting out and willing to move around and see where life takes them. I don't see any of them moving anywhere. 

• Like 16
4 hours ago, endure said:

Traveling is hard work at any age imo. I traveled a lot when I was younger and often said you don't know what the future holds to justify why I would quit jobs etc to do that.  I ended up disabled later in life so for me it was the right thing..... and I have no desire to travel now.

Wow!  This sounds just like me!  I traveled the world from ages 20-37 spending months in exotic places, adventure travels, etc. Some of my travels I remember thinking "so glad I'm doing this now cuz there is no way a retired person could have the strength and stamina to do this." I would work hard, save a bunch of money, and quit me job as well.  2 weeks vacation a year was never enough.  I would beg for 'time off without pay.  3 years was my limit when I would quit and take 2-3 months off.  Now?  The thought of going to an airport and getting on a plane seems such a burden, unruly passengers getting in fights with flight attendendants or other passengers....I have seen plenty of the world .

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, bequialife said:

Wow!  This sounds just like me!  I traveled the world from ages 20-37 spending months in exotic places, adventure travels, etc. Some of my travels I remember thinking "so glad I'm doing this now cuz there is no way a retired person could have the strength and stamina to do this." I would work hard, save a bunch of money, and quit me job as well.  2 weeks vacation a year was never enough.  I would beg for 'time off without pay.  3 years was my limit when I would quit and take 2-3 months off.  Now?  The thought of going to an airport and getting on a plane seems such a burden, unruly passengers getting in fights with flight attendendants or other passengers....I have seen plenty of the world .

Yes, whether we like it or not, there comes a time when the body says stop, unfortunately.  All of a sudden, a quick nap come late afternoon is welcomed to some.

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, bequialife said:

Same! I worked for Delta Airlines back in the day and I’ve been all over Europe and have no desire to do any more travelling. So, now I’m back in my small hometown in Iowa taking care of my 91-year-old mother. I was recently in the local coffee shop and the young waitress sees my hat and says “oh my God, have you been to Key West?“. When I told her that yes I have and it was fun, but there’s no place like home. She just rolled her eyes at me lol!

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

Same! I worked for Delta Airlines back in the day and I’ve been all over Europe and have no desire to do any more travelling. So, now I’m back in my small hometown in Iowa taking care of my 91-year-old mother. I was recently in the local coffee shop and the young waitress sees my hat and says “oh my God, have you been to Key West?“. When I told her that yes I have and it was fun, but there’s no place like home. She just rolled her eyes at me lol!

You are a wonderful Daughter.  I give you credit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

And I think we started to see one big disadvantage to the golden. these people are older and settled. they have grandkids and dream homes. they aren't just starting out and willing to move around and see where life takes them. I don't see any of them moving anywhere. 

Retirees move all the time but usually to somewhere warm or known for its retirement communities (like AZ or FL).  That's different than uprooting your life that's close to your family so that your partner can be close to his/hers.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, deSchenke said:

I'm also a bit surprised by the ages revealed on this thread. I'm 65 and had often thought I was one of the few "Boomers" to watch the franchise or follow this forum.

65? You’re just a kid! 🙂

• Like 6
  • LOL 7
2 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

Think of this as the next chapter of your life, this will be difficult.  Your mom is lucky to have you!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Retirees move all the time but usually to somewhere warm or known for its retirement communities (like AZ or FL).  That's different than uprooting your life that's close to your family so that your partner can be close to his/hers.

When my husband retired, we moved to Florida to a gorgeous new development near Orlando.  I was happy for six months.  Then, depression set in as I missed my three kids and grandkids.  Back we moved to New York.  Cost a fortune, but we are happier here, plus I love the four seasons .  Thank goodness husband was accommodating.  Bought a condo so he doesn’t have to do work outside like shovel snow, etc. on Long Island.  That’s my story.  Happy Wife, Happy Life, lol.   What this has to do with Gerry?   Nothing!  Hahahaha. Going off track here.  Yikes!

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 4
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

She does have two wonderful daughters but I'm her son! (The only single person of all the siblings...)

Oh Geeze.  Better yet.  I have two daughters, one divorced Son who lives with us for now.  He is a dream .. does so much for us.  I should say mostly everything.  👍😀

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 4
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

That began a series of summers in Europe (and some Morocco) (a couple trips in the States, too), which were glorious and fabulous and tasty and educational, even with ER visits, a lost passport, stolen camera, and sleeping in our rental car! 

Your story reminds me of the movie “Just Married” , starring Ashton Kutcher and Britenney  Murphy.  Mishaps on their honeymoon in Europe.  

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

I was calling Jesse Palmer "Captain Obvious" when he walks out to announce 1 rose left.  When this happened last, Mr Mytmo walked by and said hey he played football!  It doesn't matter how many shows or is known best for hosting, Mr. Mytmo will only recognize the football career.

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, HerkyJerky said:

And he still announces football games on ESPN. A true renaissance man!🥳

I think he gave up the college football last season. He was at the update desk for several years. But he's still doing the Spring and Holiday Baking Championships on Food Network in addition to the Bachelor.

• Like 2

LOL I'm 73.  I remember watching the very first Bachelorette in 2003 (20 years ago!).  I remember thinking how pretty Trista was and comparing myself to her and falling way short - how stupid - then her mother showed up and, duh, I realized I was her mother's age.  Talk about denial. Crazy wake-up call. 

I don't really see a proposal at the end of Golden Bachelor.  I see him saying something like, I love you, blah blah blah, let's see where this goes. I wonder if Gerry is capable of getting down on one knee to propose?!  And then getting up again, that is the problem.

• Like 3
  • LOL 17
22 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I met my husband on match.com. We were both 52 at the time. We celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary this month.

Congratulations on your 20th anniversary coming up with your husband ☺️🌹💕!

I hope to find my husband on Match.com! Good for you 😃🙌  

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

LOL I'm 73.  I remember watching the very first Bachelorette in 2003 (20 years ago!).  I remember thinking how pretty Trista was and comparing myself to her and falling way short - how stupid - then her mother showed up and, duh, I realized I was her mother's age.  Talk about denial. Crazy wake-up call. 

I don't really see a proposal at the end of Golden Bachelor.  I see him saying something like, I love you, blah blah blah, let's see where this goes. I wonder if Gerry is capable of getting down on one knee to propose?!  And then getting up again, that is the problem.

I remember the poetry Trista's Fireman would write!

If after all this---Pickleball, highway wind, dune buggies, talent show, Meet the Family, roses, tears, and "I love you"---instead of proposing Good Ole Boy Gerry (Indiana!) would say to ME, "Let's see where this goes," I'd reply, "How about you see where this goes, pal!"

• Applause 1
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I hope to find my husband on Match.com!

I was about to give that an eye-popping reaction, until I realized you meant your theoretical, future husband.  Because if I found my husband on Match.com, you can look for me as the recent widow on the upcoming Golden Bachelorette!

• Like 1
  • LOL 22

I think Gerry will get down on one knee and propose with a beautiful diamond ring.

That's what this Golden Bachelor season show needs and expects for the ending of a fan filled season!

Then after the lights dim and we're getting hopped up for the next season it will be announced quietly they have gone their separate ways but remain best of friends and will always care for one another!

Count on it!

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Wink 1
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was about to give that an eye-popping reaction, until I realized you meant your theoretical, future husband.  Because if I found my husband on Match.com, you can look for me as the recent widow on the upcoming Golden Bachelorette!

Hahaha you made me laugh out loud 🤣!  If I get married someday and then find out that my husband is on Match.com, you might see me on "Snapped"!  😅

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 2
  • LOL 11
On 11/6/2023 at 4:58 PM, TomGirl said:

It's not the greatest for those of us trying to catch up between shows.  Like it's nice to see, but boy is it a lot in one chunk.

• Like 3
On 11/6/2023 at 11:42 PM, deSchenke said:

I'm also a bit surprised by the ages revealed on this thread. I'm 65 and had often thought I was one of the few "Boomers" to watch the franchise or follow this forum.

I suspect many like me (65) migrated from TWOP and follow several forums, but I wouldn't watch regular Bachelor with a gun to my head.  I decided to check out the Golden franchise because it's my demographic and am enjoying it.  I still won't be checking out the regular show though.

• Like 12
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I suspect many like me (65) migrated from TWOP and follow several forums, but I wouldn't watch regular Bachelor with a gun to my head.  I decided to check out the Golden franchise because it's my demographic and am enjoying it.  I still won't be checking out the regular show though.

Yep, I migrated here from TWOP. I didn't watch Charity's season of the Bachelorette and am not watching BIP. I also have no interest in the upcoming Bachelor season. But if they do another Golden Bachelor(ette), I'll be here for that.

• Like 9
On 11/6/2023 at 7:58 PM, TomGirl said:

I agree.  It was so much fun while it lasted.  😪

• Like 4
  • Love 3
On 11/6/2023 at 7:40 PM, kristen111 said:

What is it with this falling?  The trouble is “you can’t get up”.  That’s why you always have to have a phone near by.  Four times for me.  Also, taking a shower is dangerous too.  Yikes!  I love the Fire Dept.  aThey told me they get lots of calls for falling.  Embarrassing.  At least you’re ok.

I happen to sell medical alerts for a living and falls can be so devestating.

39 minutes ago, deSchenke said:

Yep, I migrated here from TWOP. I didn't watch Charity's season of the Bachelorette and am not watching BIP. I also have no interest in the upcoming Bachelor season. But if they do another Golden Bachelor(ette), I'll be here for that.

same here i was a first show watcher and fanatical about every iteratiob of the show. I did a hard stop a year ago, It just seemed like the women were all hugely fake, botoxed and MEAN to everyone. 

this has been a good watch so far, so Ill stick with the grownups :)

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

I happen to sell medical alerts for a living and falls can be so devestating.

53 minutes ago, deSchenke said:

At 67, had my fall recently in July. Each year of life adds to the overall gravitational pull on a person and I went down like a lead freight train. Managed to wangle my way out of the odd position my arm landed in and get up. I knew it would never be the same arm again, right then and there. Called my daughter and went to hospital where my arm/shoulder was broken in 3 places.

Be careful ladies/gentlemen. Its a doozy when you fall at this age. 

• Hugs 6
  • Sad 6
On 11/6/2023 at 8:42 PM, deSchenke said:

I thought it was *primarily* “Boomers” who watched! Only based on the fact that my mom (77) and aunt (79) are the only people I know who watch every season. I’m 54 and normally couldn’t be PAID to watch, but as I’ve mentioned previously, Faith is from my community, so I had to check it out. 

And not that I would ever go on this show, even though I’m not married and would like to find someone, but I couldn’t even if I wanted to! Too old for the “regular” version, too young for the Golden version. 😂

• Like 4
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2023 at 12:38 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

I think he gave up the college football last season. He was at the update desk for several years. 

He's actually calling college football games this year...I saw him a few weeks ago.

• Applause 2
  • Useful 2
On 11/7/2023 at 4:51 AM, HerkyJerky said:

She does have two wonderful daughters but I'm her son! (The only single person of all the siblings...)

Sons .. Yesterday, I was in the dumps a little.  My Son, who senses things, was off from work.  He told me to meet him in the car and we took a ride to Target where I bought Christmas sheets and throw pillows, and just walked around.  Then, we went to Panaras for lunch.  I came home feeling great!  That’s a Son.

• Like 2
  • Hugs 3
  • Love 9

I was pretty sure he was going to pick Faith, but after watching him with Leslie, I'm not sure. He did seem really into Leslie and their interactions had some chemistry. It seems obvious Teresa is out unless the editors are messing with us. 

I agree with some who said Teresa seems the best match because she would probably dote on him, but I don't think he's as attracted to her. I like Faith but think her lifestyle is too different. Leslie is nice but seems wounded.

I appreciate that the women are within about 10 years or so of his age. They even had a few the same age or older than Gerry. When the show was announced, I was afraid they'd have women 25 years younger. 

I like Gerry and believe he does want to find someone special. 

Do the final two get fantasy suite dates? Will they meet Gerry's children? 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 5