Type keyword(s) to search

The Golden Bachelor - General Discussion

• Start Topic

If anyone wants to see a great movie, get “Boynton Beach Club” starring Michael Nouri, Dyan Cannon, Brenda Vacarro, Joe Bologna and others.  You all will love it.  Takes place in Florida.  A hilarious romantic comedy. 👍👍👍

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1

Who's in for an updated version of The Golden Girls, with Susan, Sandra, April, and Kathy? Gerry could play the slightly dim-witted, but ever helpful and polite condo "handy"man. That cute bartender from BIP might be the cabana boy, serving pretty umbrella cocktails and vodka tonics to our fair ladies. Lovely Edith and Pickleball Ellen as neighbors, and the rest of the cast showing up in cameos at bookclubs, art shows, wine bars....

disclosure: I became annoyed several seasons ago with the B franchise- too many vocabulary challenged and boring influencer types. This verson has been charming, in spite of the usual (young?) producer-driven shenanigans.

• Like 14
  • Applause 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 10/27/2023 at 4:57 PM, debbie311 said:

When Gerry was doing the talk-show circuit just prior to this show debuting, he seemed nice and natural. He's coming across as kind of sappy to me now. Out of the whole bunch, Susan seems the most well-adjusted person there.

I agree about Gerry's sappiness; it's hard to take seriously.  I also couldn't agree more about Susan.  Not only does she seem like a truly genuine and lovely woman, it's so nice to see how she's accepted her age and natural beauty and created her best self.  If there is a Golden Bachelorette chosen from this group, I'd love to see Susan.  Many seem to promote Joan but, personally, I'm over the ridiculously long blonde hair extensions and desperate attempts to look young.  I want to see someone real, not an unrealistic stereotype.

As for the remaining 3, I have a hard time believing any of them could work with Gerry.  After a long marriage, I don't see Gerry relating to Leslie or Faith, both of whom seem to have bad track records with lasting relationships and constantly speak of their bad choices.  Why would any of that change in their senior years?  As for Theresa, I think she might be the best match but she comes off to me as very needy.  I'm not sure what to think of her at this point.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

If anyone wants to see a great movie, get “Boynton Beach Club” starring Michael Nouri, Dyan Cannon, Brenda Vacarro, Joe Bologna and others.  You all will love it.  Takes place in Florida.  A hilarious romantic comedy.

Thanks.  I just found it on Amazon Prime and I'm enjoying it.  I stopped it at the halfway mark to come here and echo your review.  It's very cute.  Dyan Cannon's character reminds me of the ladies on the Golden Bachelor---ultra thin, clothes fit for a 20-something, long thick hair, and lots of work done on the face.  Thanks again for the tip.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Gemma Violet said:

Thanks.  I just found it on Amazon Prime and I'm enjoying it.  I stopped it at the halfway mark to come here and echo your review.  It's very cute.  Dyan Cannon's character reminds me of the ladies on the Golden Bachelor---ultra thin, clothes fit for a 20-something, long thick hair, and lots of work done on the face.  Thanks again for the tip.

I didn’t know it was on Prime.  I have the DVD and watch it here n there.  Let me know how it went when you’re finished.  You’re welcome, by the way. 😀

1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

It will be interesting to watch hometowns both theirs and his. 

Leslie and Faith look so much alike it’s hard for me to keep track of them!

I liked Joan and was sorry to see her go. 

Faith has very thin lips.  That’s how I tell them apart.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

For some reason, I can't quote. I wanted to mention the heels. I really don't wear them anymore (I'm 58) because I just can't. I have plenty of cute flat shoes. But, coming from a Hispanic family, many women will live and die with heels. My cousins still wear them and they are older than I am. My mom was wearing heels in her late 70s. 

Ha! The last time I put heels on was when I was having a bout of what I thought was plantar fasciitis, about 10 years ago. I thought the heels would give the sole of my foot the stretch it felt like it needed. It did! It worked. I haven’t had another bout of it again, but I have saved a pair of heels for it, just in case. Just indoor walking, not out and about.

A good thing for old geezers to know 😉👠👡

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Faith is the one who looks like she brushed her hair when she got up; Leslie is the one who looks like she didn't. That's how to tell them apart.

I can tell them apart because Faith has a little bit of an overbite going on there. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
23 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Once again, don't kill the messenger I am just passing on what I read elsewhere.  Now excuse me while I duck for cover...

Gerry had a girlfriend that moved in with him, and he was great previous to living together. And then it was complete controlling behavior once they moved in together. Where are you, what are you doing 24/7. The lady was so freaked out she got the heck out of there and was so relieved she had not sold her previous home. The source was her relative. True or not, there is no way to know. It has also been said that he had a serious girlfriend and when he got cast he dumped her.

Makes  sense that he's  attracted  to the wounded  ones if true  about the controlling behavior.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Am I the only one who likes the make outs and is looking forward to Fantasy Suites 😅?!  Those are some of the only things I look forward to watching these types of shows.  I like the passion leading up to it, the camera panning off into the moonlight, one person being way more into the night before than the other, the clothing on the floor, unripe honeydew melon and English muffins in bed.  Fantasy Suites are an ABC Bachelor Nation institution! 🙌🔥🌹🛏️

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • LOL 9
7 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Dyan Cannon's character reminds me of the ladies on the Golden Bachelor---ultra thin, clothes fit for a 20-something, long thick hair, and lots of work done on the face.  Thanks again for the tip.

Yep but only difference is Dyan is HOT and they are most definitely not!😁

• LOL 1

I just don’t see the attraction to Theresa. Maybe it’s her neediness if rumors of Jerry being controlling. 

She doesn’t seem to be the very popular with the other women. 

Last rosé ceremony her lipstick was all over the place. 

Jerry’s past wife had a little meat on her bones. 

I guess we’ll see. Grandma used to say ‘the heart wants what the heart wants’!

BTW why is his name spelled like Jerry but pronounced Gary?  Confusing!

• Like 5
9 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

And Faith is much taller than Leslie.  I think Faith looks like Olympia Dukakis.

Thanks for this.  I have been wondering who Faith reminds me of, and could not figure it out!    Stuff like that can really bug me, so I'm glad to not have to think about it anymore!   lol  

• Like 4
On 10/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, Starlight925 said:

Teresa has likely had too many procedures too close together,  so  all  of these odd distortions morphed while each one  was healing from the last.

I'm not against plastic surgery. I've had an upper blephoraplasty (eyelid lift).  But the surgeon said to wait at least a year before deciding on another procedure, or you can get the Nancy Pelosi permanent surprised look.

She also wears a wig.  I've been around a lot of Orthodox Jewish women (not sure if she is Jewish, I am, but not my point), so I've seen a lot of wigs.  It's a wig.  You can tell by her unnaturally low hairline and the fact that it doesn't move with the rest of her head.  And after many weeks without a proper hairstylist around (thank goodness for Susan), it's looking like it needs to be properly removed and cared for.

I think she’s Italian.

Stupid question, but do people really make out like that at that age?  In their seventies?

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
13 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Stupid question, but do people really make out like that at that age?  In their seventies?

Maybe in the beginning? I have been with my significant other for 15 years and I remember when we first started dating we would sit together on the sofa and make out. Now he lays on the sofa with the remote and I sit on the other sofa across the room. 😝

But seriously, the older I get (cough*50*cough) the pickier I am about who I would want to kiss and wonder how I would make it out in the dating world again. I can't imagine kissing so many people like Gerry has.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I may be wrong, but I think it will be a cold day in hell before they create a reality show for an American audience revolving around the romantic life of a non-celebrity 70-year old woman.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
21 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Maybe in the beginning? I have been with my significant other for 15 years and I remember when we first started dating we would sit together on the sofa and make out. Now he lays on the sofa with the remote and I sit on the other sofa across the room. 😝

But seriously, the older I get (cough*50*cough) the pickier I am about who I would want to kiss and wonder how I would make it out in the dating world again. I can't imagine kissing so many people like Gerry has.

Thanks for being honest.  I’m married a very long time.  We are of the age where he is watching his sports and I am watching my stuff.  Those days are over.  I can’t imagine that either, lol.  Things change .. you can’t beat youth.

• Like 9

I think she’s Italian.

well, i can imagine some kissing and tender touching but this thing with really passionate kissing with a bunch of women one after another seems a bit much for some mature citizens.  

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, cinsays said:

well, i can imagine some kissing and tender touching but this thing with really passionate kissing with a bunch of women one after another seems a bit much for some mature citizens.  

With these strangers, I think a hug and peck on the cheek is enough.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

Making out? I've been married 40 years, and we will watch a movie together sitting on different couches so we each have access to an end table to put a drink. I have a fuzzy blanket on my couch, which means I usually have a border collie snuggled up beside me.

As for our Golden bachelor,  I don't understand making out with multiple people. Get to know them, end the date with a kiss, and move on.

Edited by tinkerbell
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

The hometowns should be interesting to see how the 3 ladies interact with their families/friends.  To me, Faith seems like a sourpuss, Leslie seems like a Debbie Downer, and Theresa doesn't have much of a filter.  None of them seem like a ton of fun.  Should be enlightening!

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5

I loved the women water-dancing to different religious songs in the beginning. Fun! I really came to like Susan and wished she could have stayed around, but I'm hoping she's got a great guy in her future. She just took things in stride, knew that her life would be just fine if she didn't get a rose. Ditto Sandra. I was personally relieved that Faith got a 1:1 date so she could finally stop whining about how much time has passed since she had meaningful time with Gary.

When you tell someone you're falling in love with them and they say "aww, you're so sweet" in response that's not a good sign. Some of those heartfelt declarations were awkward. 

I want to believe that Leslie is sincere but Gary just seems kind of square for someone who's dated Prince. 

Teresa's near-hyperventilating before the final rose was a bit much.

• Like 14

Storytime:

I had a neighbor who shared the interest of flea market shopping with me. She was about 20 years junior to her husband (who frankly, was a cutie!). She told me that early on when they first met and he first asked her out, she asked him if "men his age" were still interested in sex! (I'm guessing when they met) she was 35 at the time and he was 55. He said definitely, yes.

I thought the interaction was hilarious. When she and I hung out together at flea markets, they had been married 12 years. And apparently things were good in that department.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

As somebody who lives 2 hours from The Villages, my answer would be YES!😆

Lol .. YES.  My Sister lives in Homosassa on the West coast and has friends in the Villages.  She told me the same thing.  The residents are having lots of sex, plus infections are going around like crazy.  Seniors love it there.  My husband and I rode thru once and the people were having a ball.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3

I wonder if Gerry was that romantic with his wife?

My mom's best friend passed away and her husband remarried. He was constantly holding his new wife's hand and nuzzling up close to her, my mom was a bit disgusted because he never was affectionate with her friend his first wife. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 4

The answer is yes, especially in new relationships after long marriages have ended.  Yes, people 60+ kiss, snuggle, have sex, make out.

Maybe not the 60+ people of 50 years ago, but they didn't have bodies like Leslie's.  Or stay active professionally like Faith.  Play competitive sports as well as Emily.

60+ today just isn't what it was.  I celebrated a friend's 63rd birthday today; she & her husband are "newlyweds" of less than 2 years, and....um....yes, the activity level is still there.

I did a visit to The Villages last year, by myself (I was in Orlando for a conference).  I sat at a bar there, alone with a glass of wine, and let me tell you, the flirting I observed rivaled my teenage years. (and that was just me....ha ha).

Back to the show:  I do not like the remaining 3, and I do not believe that any of them will end up still with Kermit Gerry a year from now.

Edited by Starlight925
  • Like 7
  • Applause 1

I am not spoiled so this is only a guess. I think he's going to choose Faith. He has seemed most into her the whole show to me. 

I was sorry to see Susan go, but she and Gerry had more a of a friendly than romantic vibe. I don't get why he has kept Theresa, but I could tell he wasn't going to pick Mary. His body language was off when she was declaring her love for him. 

I still like Gerry. He's not perfect but I find him refreshing from what I usually see on these shows... although he cries too much. 

My sweet dad was in an assisted living place. There were a ton of women and hardly any men. The women were all buzzing around him. He used to joke about it. I have a close friend whose husband passed away in early 2023. She is 65. She's said she would like to date at some point but doesn't think she'll meet anyone because the men her age who aren't married want someone 10-15 years younger. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 4

Do you think they fill out info about themselves like things they simply won’t do. I’m terrified of flying and it makes me sick so when I saw the helicopter I was like “nope I’m out”, like I seriously would have refused. Can they do that’s?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

As somebody who lives 2 hours from The Villages, my answer would be YES!😆

My MIL lives in the Villages!

I would peaced out on the roller coaster.   I have  spinal stennosis in my upper spine.  Pass

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I don't get why he has kept Theresa, but I could tell he wasn't going to pick Mary. His body language was off when she was declaring her love for him.

Who is Mary?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

Who is Mary?

45 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Maybe she meant the blonde Joan?

They say...nursing homes have a lot of sex going on!  Lol

I think they meant Ellen, the blond lady who he walked out after the rose ceremony.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, sadie said:

Do you think they fill out info about themselves like things they simply won’t do. I’m terrified of flying and it makes me sick so when I saw the helicopter I was like “nope I’m out”, like I seriously would have refused. Can they do that’s?

There's suspicion that in the young version of the show, people do put down their greatest fears and producers intentionally send them on dates doing that very thing.  I'm not a historian of the show--has anybody ever flatly refused to do a one-on-one's activity?  Conquering your fear in the protective arms of the bachelor is a thing.

But that brings up an interesting angle.  Would a 25-year-old you with an eye toward either finding your person or boosting your social media numbers tell the producers "No, I'm too scared of flying"?  I consider my ability to say "no" to just about anything I choose to be a benefit (and result) of getting older; I was much more compliant and cooperative when I was young.  I wonder if the producers have had to "adjust" their approach.

Then again, we have Sandra, the oldest combatant, eating ice cream she knows will make her sick just to play Never Have I Ever, and that wasn't even a chance to prove herself on a group date (although it worked out well for her).

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I wonder if Gerry was that romantic with his wife?

My mom's best friend passed away and her husband remarried. He was constantly holding his new wife's hand and nuzzling up close to her, my mom was a bit disgusted because he never was affectionate with her friend his first wife.

Was your mom around when this guy was first going out with his first wife and he wasn't affectionate even then? 

I've been doing a thought experiment by inserting Toni into the lineup, using the photos we've seen as a guide.  Would he be attracted to her, as a stranger, over the others? 

• Like 2
On 10/26/2023 at 8:29 PM, JenE4 said:

What are the chances Susan hoped that they have a ride on a yacht on the water—the second before Faith comes back in to tell then about her helicopter/yacht date? 

Yeah, at the time I remarked to myself how fake it was that Susan said that, even before Faith came in with her story!

On 10/27/2023 at 9:21 PM, GeorgiaRai said:

SAME!!!  When the season started, I really thought we'd be spared hot tubs and make-out sessions being this was "golden" and all.  No such luck! 

But to be fair, there is far less tongue with the goldens!

On 10/28/2023 at 7:46 PM, kristen111 said:

Faith has very thin lips.  That’s how I tell them apart.

I tell them apart because Faith has a resemblance to a younger version of Dr. Phil's wife Robin (which someone also mentioned upthread).

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Was your mom around when this guy was first going out with his first wife and he wasn't affectionate even then? 

I've been doing a thought experiment by inserting Toni into the lineup, using the photos we've seen as a guide.  Would he be attracted to her, as a stranger, over the others? 

I’m wondering why he didn’t pick Edith in the first place.  She was first and a beauty and spoke very nice to him.  So much better than some of the others.  Maybe the next Bachelorette?  I hope that’s next.  Fingers crossed.

• Applause 6
40 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I’m wondering why he didn’t pick Edith in the first place

Maybe she was self assured, he seems to like the wounded birds who need him. Or maybe he just prefers brunettes?

2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

My mom didn't meet them until they were married a few years so don't know. Yes funny how Gerry picks the slender women when Toni (and the rest of his family they have shown) is heavy set (skinny doesn't always mean the most physically fit).

• Like 5
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

I tell them apart because Faith has a resemblance to a younger version of Dr. Phil's wife Robin (which someone also mentioned upthread).

I'm the only one who's mentioned Dr. Phil's wife, but it was because Kathy, not Faith, reminded me of her.  A lollipop head and mincing steps (the way Robin walks when Phil leads her out of the audience).  And always kind of hunched over.

When I looked back to see if I'd actually posted that, I ran across this post, about Susan:

So, my sister told me there is a local from Aston, PA. I was curious and looked at the bios.  Holy Toledo, Batman, I know who she is!  Susan Noles, wedding officiant. But, she was a hair stylist for many years and she cut my hair for about 5 years, 20 years ago. I liked her because she did more edgy cuts, but they were super expensive.  Anyhoo, she was wild! Dated guys online from Plenty of Fish and met one. I think they had a kinky relationship.  She had her lip liner tatooed back in the day when that was a thing. Was married to Phillies pitcher, Dickie Noles. I believe he was the pitcher when they won the World Series in 1980. He turned very religious. Unless Susan has mellowed, she was rough and tumble, and wild! It'll be interesting to see her all these years later!  There's no way she doesn't still have that wild streak!

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/140754-the-golden-bachelor/?do=findComment&comment=8157878

• Like 5
  • Useful 4
29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I'm the only one who's mentioned Dr. Phil's wife, but it was because Kathy, not Faith, reminded me of her.  A lollipop head and mincing steps (the way Robin walks when Phil leads her out of the audience).  And always kind of hunched over.

When I looked back to see if I'd actually posted that, I ran across this post, about Susan:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/140754-the-golden-bachelor/?do=findComment&comment=8157878

Wow! 

21 hours ago, archer1267 said:

When you tell someone you're falling in love with them and they say "aww, you're so sweet" in response that's not a good sign. Some of those heartfelt declarations were awkward.

10 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

I still like Gerry. He's not perfect but I find him refreshing from what I usually see on these shows... although he cries too much.

I keep going back and forth over whether Gerry's sweet and sincere, or whether he sounds like what would happen if Eddie Haskell got a job in HR.  Especially when he's responding to all the outpourings of love.  ("I'm falling for you!" "That's a lovely dress you're wearing!")  But to be fair I guess it would be even worse if he he either expressed the same love to (all of) them, or shot them down cold.

• Like 5
  • LOL 7