Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

October 13:

63% / 73% / 67%

Ugh. Ran We Whistle While You Work and Let's Get Medical, missed one in Like a Rock, but missed three in Who Said This? and Awards & Honors and four in Back to School, Sports Star.

Did better in DJ…ran Felonious Monks, missed one in Pre-Fame Celebs in Ads, Craftsmanship, and Vocabulary, two Landlocked Countries, and three in 'Round Midnight.

Didn't get FJ; I figured it must be a small country, but beyond that, I had no clue.

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 4 + 1DD) I got The Four Seasons, quarry, and Dorothy Parker.

• Like 5

I knew as soon as I saw the category that I was unlikely to have a correct response.  I was right about that!  No FJ for me today.  Boo, hiss.

I only got three TS:  Children of a Lesser God, Four Seasons, and Pebble Beach.

Here's hoping next week is better!

• Like 5
5 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I had no idea “Hazy Shade of Winter” was a Simon and Garfunkel song.

There's no shame in that, but evidently, neither did the Jeopardy! writers, which is what bothers me. I believe they have fact checkers. What happened here?

• Like 4

I haven't had a good week this week. My automatic response to "who died in 2005" is Pope John Paul II. Then I had to go through the thought process of well, he isn't royalty, so he obviously isn't the answer here. And then I got no further than that.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I only got three TS:  Children of a Lesser God, Four Seasons, and Pebble Beach.

I got Dorothy Parker and facetious.

How heartbreaking for Lawrence to lose by writing King instead of Prince. I had come up with Rainier by thinking of small places with royalty and deciding that Mr Grace Kelly could reasonably have lived to 2005. Then I googled while the Think Music was playing in order to confirm when he had died and ironically one of the first results was the question why does Monaco have a Prince instead of a King.

• Like 9

OK, so this should have been an instaget because the ability to “recognize all of his compatriots” made me think of Monaco right away, and the date seemed right for Prince Rainier’s death, but for some reason my brain skipped a gear and called him “Prince Philip”. So I was right but I was also very very wrong. Please excuse me while I go collect my eyeballs that rolled straight out of my head and into the neighbor’s lawn.

• LOL 12
1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

OK, so this should have been an instaget because the ability to “recognize all of his compatriots” made me think of Monaco right away, and the date seemed right for Prince Rainier’s death, but for some reason my brain skipped a gear and called him “Prince Philip”. So I was right but I was also very very wrong. Please excuse me while I go collect my eyeballs that rolled straight out of my head and into the neighbor’s lawn.

It made me think of Denmark, because my (Danish) uncle once met the king while they were both out shopping in Copenhagen!  (Margarethe's dad for anyone who follows the royal fashion thread.)  By the time I'd finished thinking fondly about my much beloved uncle and started thinking about the holes in my answer, the music had ended.  

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Wink 2
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Re: Bangles vs. S&G ...

Since these are recycled clues, it's possible it was originally in a "Women Bands" category.

I just checked the archive, and it's not only a recycled clue, but an entire recycled category.  In a game back in 2012, the same category with all the same clues in the same order appeared.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 5
10 hours ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

If they’re bringing back one day champs , I wish they’d had brought back Sam Buttrey!  ( professor champ). Yes, I know, I know, but these recycle contestants are a bit boring, and I coukd seriously enjoy Sam as a permanent contestant!  I miss him!

Sam's already played in Masters!  I don't think we've seen the last of him.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Sam's already played in Masters!  I don't think we've seen the last of him.

According to my understanding, Sam, Amy, and Andrew will all be included in the upcoming Jeopardy Invitational Tournament. Can I find any confirmation on the Jeopardy official website? I cannot. But this story mentions it. https://www.tvinsider.com/1077590/jeopardy-masters-new-tournament-michael-davies/

• Like 1

Not an especially good game today. Only 3 decent categories - in the J round I got 4 in "A Prequel to Which Movie?" and "British Spelling Bee" and in DJ got 4 in "You Do the Math". Only one TS - thyroid gland in the J round.

No FJ today - I went with Newton.

• Like 3

October 16:

63% / 60% / 62%

Not a great start to the week. In J! I ran Kickin' Aztec, missed one in Glands and British Spelling Bee (because I didn't know the Disney attraction, not because I don't know how the British spell "colour"), and three each in the rest. In DJ I missed one each in O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Want to Make Something Out of It?, and Change a Letter, two in You Do the Math (surprisingly…), three in The Literary Character Who Said…, and four in Baseball Team's Lineup (unsurprisingly…I only got the Mets because of "Amazin'" in the clue).

But I got FJ! Not sure why I was so confident; considered Newton after immediately saying Einstein but decided to stick with him.

TSes: (J had 6; DJ had 2 + 1DD) I got thyroid and Tenochtitlan.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I also said Newton, but had zero confidence.  

And I only got two TS: pineal gland and thyroid.

Damn, Josh was fast at the math category!  I barely had time to read the clues, much less analyze them and figure out the answers before he responded.

• Like 11
  • Hugs 1
  • Fire 1

I am glad Math Man Josh is going to the next level. I hope he gets a similar category in the tournament.

Still, all these second chancers have been delightful. 

I did get FJ, even though I first said Hawking, but then knew it was Einstein, both because he is known for having not lived to prove his theory, and because I vaguely recalled it was in the news with "gravitational waves" seeming to have been the area of study.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 7

The show that recorded tonight (in the Cleveland Ohio market) shows as Season 40, Episode 26 but it was not a Champions Wildcard, the contestants were different, and I had none of the questions you are referring to.

• Hugs 2

Josh really powered up in Double Jeopardy. The categories were great for him. I got all the glands because…nurse. Ken is just so good at hosting…the right amount of quick wit and humility. He wears it well. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1

Since math is my strongest category (as opposed to opera, and many, many others... football, anyone?), I actually beat Josh at the answers. It's easy to figure out the question as Ken is reading the answer - if math is your strength.

I've always had a mild addiction to numbers, puzzles in general, etc. It's just how I'm wired.

Not sure why, but I was rooting for Kendra.

Einstein came first, then Newton, then went back to Einstein. If there'd been another 10 seconds, I'd probably have switched back to Newton again. Mr Bliss thought both were wrong. Ha ha. I told him he had to do the dishes - my new rule for any verbal (during J!) intentional insult. Just kidding, sort of.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Damn, Josh was fast at the math category!  I barely had time to read the clues, much less analyze them and figure out the answers before he responded.

I was actually pretty impressed with myself.  I got all of them but the $1000.  I was doing the math as he was reading the question and all set to answer by the time he finished.  I had fun with it.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Still, all these second chancers have been delightful. 

I did get FJ, even though I first said Hawking, but then knew it was Einstein, both because he is known for having not lived to prove his theory, and because I vaguely recalled it was in the news with "gravitational waves" seeming to have been the area of study.

I've enjoyed them, although I've only remembered one or two.

I got Einstein because of the news about gravitational waves, and my mind tied that to Einstein.

Otherwise, it wasn't a great game for me. But hey, I started out the week with an FJ, so I can relax. 😉

• Like 3

Really good game today - finally! Well, except for the end.

In the J round I ran "The Mamas & the Papas", "Countdown" and "Sort Through the Word Problem" and got 4 in "Dust to Dust". When I saw the Word Problem category I thought "crap, I suck at those". But then I saw you could ignore that part of the clue and just focus on the second half, and surprise, I ran the category. TSs were St. Helena, serpent and Goneril.

Didn't do quite as well in DJ, but it was still a good round. Ran "Summer Olympic Cities" and got 4 in "The Mountain West" and "3 Letter Words". TSs/missed DDs were Morocco, Stockholm (DD) and tat.

Still no FJ this week. I didn't have a clue today - I said dolphins just to say something, but didn't think I had a shot of getting it right. And I didn't.

• Like 3

In the 3-letter words category, the first two answers given were "Tat" and "Tot". I thought we were going to have a theme (ie the other 3 clues would be "Tet", "Tit" and "Tut"), but no...

• Like 3

October 17:

73% / 63% / 69%

Didn't start out great but ended up with a decent first round. Ran Animals in Italian, missed one each in "B" Girls, Countdown, and Word Problem, two in Dust to Dust, and three in The Mamas & The Papas.

In DJ I did pretty well in all but two categories…ran Weeder's Digest and missed one each in World Writers, Astrology, and 3-Letter Words, but missed three in Mountain West and totally failed Summer Olympic Cities.

And I got FJ! Not an instaget but pretty quick. I figured it had to be some sort of animal, and thought about what hunters might go for...my first thought was deer but that didn't make sense...then geese but I don't know if you can train those, then my mind went to other birds and landed on pigeons.

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 5 + both DDs) I got serpent, dandelion, and Poland (absolute guess…).

• Like 2
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I was confused about the other responses - how do you train aircraft? Why would hunters target aircraft?

Me too. Who’s out there blimp hunting?

• Fire 1
  • LOL 14

There were enough odd responses that I wondered if the game was somehow shot at the end of a long day?

I really appreciated that we have at least arrived at a time and place where a woman like Lucy is taken seriously as a contender — not only winning the game, but pretty much leaving the guys in the dust for most of it. For me, it was a vicarious victory, even though I would never excel at Jeopardy! under any circumstances.

My TSs were Bessie Smith, serpent, and tat. 

Pigeons was the only logical answer for FJ.
I guess the guys have never heard of carrier pigeons?

• Like 7
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

There were enough odd responses that I wondered if the game was somehow shot at the end of a long day?

According to the archive, it was the third episode taped that day.  (The regular schedule is five episodes per shooting day -- three before lunch, then two after.)

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

Almost an instaget FJ for me tonight. I was confused about the other responses - how do you train aircraft? Why would hunters target aircraft?

As far as the training goes, you're obviously training the pilots.  But, I don' tknow who would have to be told not to shoot at them.  If you are, you're doing it on purpose.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

As far as the training goes, you're obviously training the pilots.  But, I don' tknow who would have to be told not to shoot at them.  If you are, you're doing it on purpose.

I'm not sure anyone accidentally shoots at pigeons either.

I got half way through the question, shouted pigeons at the screen & then spend the rest of the time trying to out think myself thinking I was too fast, but stuck with pigeon.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

I'm not sure anyone accidentally shoots at pigeons either.

I knew someone was going to call me on that one.  Yes, they're purposely shooting at the pigeon, but perhaps for food or sport.  If you shoot at a plane or a blimp you probably have some other motivation like undermining the army, or murderous intentions.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, Katy M said:

If you shoot at a plane or a blimp you probably have some other motivation like undermining the army, or murderous intentions.

Or you just shoot at anything that may or may not move just for the hell of it. I've seen countless roadside signs shot up just because they were there when a fool with a rifle came by.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Still no FJ this week. I didn't have a clue today - I said dolphins just to say something, but didn't think I had a shot of getting it right. And I didn't.

Thank you - I'm not the only one who went with dolphins despite knowing it had to be wrong. My mind fluttered toward birds at one point, but couldn't pick one out of the flocks. (was that a little too tortured?)

Otherwise it was a fairly decent game.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Wink 1

Archive game for me last night (Tuesday), and when that happens, I tend to rush through the questions.  Hence, I did not get FJ.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it! If I'd set a timer and given myself the whole 30 seconds, I might have gotten it.

But I did get the TS of serpent, Gunga Din, dandelion, and tat.

• Like 3
  • Wink 1