Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

October 9:

77% / 73% / 74%

Couldn't help rooting for Camron after his story about his babies. 

Pretty decent game...ran 3rd Graders Know This Stuff and Body Shots, missed one in Travel Texas, and two in Thyme, Thomas Aquinas, and Heavyweight Champion. In DJ I ran I'm Still Standin', missed one in Time and Puzzles, and two in Candle, Circle and Elton John Songs.

Did not get FJ. I read A Room of One's Own in college, but I must have blocked it out of my mind.

TSes: (J had 5; DJ had 9, including 1 DD) I got mint, Cosette, and Artful Dodger.

Is it just me or are they giving them an awful lot of chances to get to the right answer...?

I'm still standin'

GIF by Elton John

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4

Bad start to the week -- I did not get FJ.  I feel like I should have known that, but I could have sat here all night and not gotten it.  I didn't even have a guess.

But I did get the TS of Buddy Holly, mint, "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me", Concentration, Cosette, Artful Dodger, pillar, and Rice.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

October 9:

77% / 73% / 74%

Couldn't help rooting for Camron after his story about his babies. 

Is it just me or are they giving them an awful lot of chances to get to the right answer...?

I'm still standin'

GIF by Elton John

Camron's was such a tragic story! 

Love the shot of Bruno Tonioli (Dancing with the Stars) in the black outfit.

I briefly became obsessed with heavyweight boxing in the 1970's, so I knew Rocky Marciano. I also knew all the "I'm Still Standing" clues, plus the fun fact that Nancy's death was a highlight of Dickens's public readings. 

I did figure out George Eliot, but for some reason I thought she was earlier.

I thought the BMS requests were a bit much, considering all the other times people were allowed to leave things unspecified.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Love the shot of Bruno Tonioli (Dancing with the Stars) in the black outfit.

That's why I went looking for it!

If you google "I'm Still Standing Bruno Tonioli" you'll find a compilation of just the clips of him in the music video. It's hilarious and a tad disturbing. The outfits! 😄 And now I need DTWS to do an Elton tribute and get Bruno to dance (but maybe not in the one with the bikini-cut bottom...)

• LOL 1

It was an okay game for me; I got the ts's or missed DDs of Buddy Holly, mint, Benedictine, Concentration, Artful Dodger, pillar and Rice.

I did not get FJ and probably wouldn't have got Eliot if I thought until the cows came home.  I said Agatha Christie just for something to say, knowing full well she was not like the others.

• Like 1

Decent game today - once I checked the J! Archive I found I did better than I thought I did while watching, especially in DJ.

Got the exact same amount of correct responses in each round. In the J round I didn't run any categories, but got 4 in "Nascar Geography" (I preguessed that Talladega would be one of the clues), "Composers & Their Kin" and "Go ____". No TSs though. 🙁

In DJ, I got 4 in "Nice Side Whiskers!", "Brando" and "Gas". Did get one TS - beans (beans/gas 😝).

No FJ again today. Thought of Westminster like Morgan, but didn't think it was right. Also thought of Winchester and Salisbury, but not Canterbury. Head slap!

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 2

October 10:

87% / 70% / 79%

Really good first round, decent second, and I got FJ (and all three DDs)! Ran Composers & Their Kin and Moist Things, missed one each in Science, NASCAR Geography, Heraldry, and Go ___. In DJ I ran Gas, missed one in Brando, I Wrote That Line, and Food, two in Nice Side Whiskers!, and four in Lodging.

FJ felt almost too easy but I couldn't think of anything else.

TSes: (J had 4, DJ had 6) I got standard, lachrymal glands, beans, and Gabriel Garcia-Marquez.

I actually remembered both guys today (well, Robert after he reminded us of his LEGO bow tie). I was rooting for Joe, even despite his difficulty with Josefs. 😛

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
4 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

That will teach me to pay more attention! I'm usually cruising the internet when it's on.

I do that while watching TV most of the time, too, but I keep score for J! so I actually have to pay attention.

• Like 3

Today was an o.k. game - not great, but not too bad either. No TSs/missed DDs for me today - I should have gotten Dorothy Sayers as I've read the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, but couldn’t pull her name out of my old, tired brain.

In the J round I ran "A Van Down By the River" and "Take My "Y", Please". In DJ I ran "Grab a "B"ite" and got 4 in "Other Red, White and Blue Flags".

Got my first FJ of the week. I first thought of Monet, but couldn't think of any titles of his floral (water lily) paintings. Then a vision of Van Gogh's Irises popped into my head and I went with it. Yippee! The only thing that made me question if I was right was deciding if the irises were blue or purple.

• Like 3

October 11:

70% / 53% / 61%

Sigh. The Jeopardy gods have made up for yesterday's good game… J! was okay; ran Take My "Y", Please!, missed one in A Van Down By the River and Californians (please don't make Ken do that accent ever again), two in Saturday Night Live and Surely You Joust, and three in State the Item. DJ was crap...ran An Immodest Proposal, but missed two in Grab a "B"ite and three in everything else.

Didn't get FJ; I guessed the right artist, at least, but I figured it probably wasn't Sunflowers.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 3 + 1DD) The only one I got was Louis Leakey.

image.png.b3ff0db5e2fafc511465b033f1aed684.png

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I very confidenly atnd wrongly said Water Lilies.

I got the missed clues of tennessee Walking Horse and Louis Leaky.

I got the whole category of bite right.

I find it weird if I only get the $200 clue wrong or the $1000 clue right.  I missed only hte $200 clue in state.

• Like 5

I also very confidently said Water Lilies for FJ.  And the only TS I got was David S. Pumpkins.

That horse might have been walking, and it might have been in Tennessee, but it didn't look/walk like any Tennessee Walking Horse I've ever seen.

• Like 5

Sorry if this has been discussed, I missed some episodes at the beginning of the season and I fast forward through intos and ads. It seems to me that all the contestants are saying the full name of the category lately? Have I missed people shortening them? is it a new rule? I don't have 100% of my concentration on the game when I watch so I could easily have missed something but when I am paying attention I keep hearing the entire category name.

7 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Sorry if this has been discussed, I missed some episodes at the beginning of the season and I fast forward through intos and ads. It seems to me that all the contestants are saying the full name of the category lately? Have I missed people shortening them? is it a new rule? I don't have 100% of my concentration on the game when I watch so I could easily have missed something but when I am paying attention I keep hearing the entire category name.

Haven't seen it discussed here (at least not in this thread) but I saw a comment about it on reddit the other day. I hadn't actually noticed that they were saying the whole category name but apparently they were asked to do so.

https://www.tvinsider.com/1107788/jeopardy-categories-contestants-shortening-names-rule-change/

I don't mind it, usually, but when the titles are more than three or four words long it gets tedious to hear them repeated in full every time.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I also very confidently said Water Lilies for FJ.  And the only TS I got was David S. Pumpkins.

I got Dorothy Sayers. And I got Final because (rightly or wrongly) I think of Water Lilies as having a pinkish cast rather than green.

I was rooting for Robert because he is very cute and creating crossword puzzles is appealing to me. For that DD he missed I would have answered Mahjong -- I wasn't sure but somehow 1989 and corner made me think it was The Joy Luck Club but it didn't occur to me that the line referred to the club rather than the game. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

For that DD he missed I would have answered Mahjong -- I wasn't sure but somehow 1989 and corner made me think it was The Joy Luck Club but it didn't occur to me that the line referred to the club rather than the game. 

The category was "Book Club." All of the clues had to do with clubs that appear in books (although the word club was not necessarily in the correct response; sometimes it was in the clue itself).

We've all heard about the re-using clues thing, but now I think I've spotted one! This clue about the Joy Luck Club was, if not identical, then extremely similar to the Final Jeopardy clue in my fourth game (the one I lost, even though I got it right).

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4

Only three ts's for me last night: Dorothy Sayers, ether and Miller.

I said Water Lilies for FJ although I did also think of Van Gogh.  Unfortunately, I don't know titles of his paintings except for Starry Night.  And now I know Irises.

• Like 3

I started off with Water Lilies, but vaguely remembered that the ones at l'Orangerie had been donated directly by Monet, so there wouldn't have been an owner to make the comment, and switched to Irises in time.  Turns out those had been donated as I thought, but of the many, many other versions, enough have been or are in private ownership that my reasoning was completely specious and it was just dumb luck that it got me to the right answer.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
On 10/6/2023 at 7:20 PM, chicagofan said:

Also got FJ today. With the "French" names in the clue, the first (and pretty much only) French composer I thought of was Debussy.

I said Chopin, thinking that it was when he was in France.  Oops.  And I love Clair de Lune, but obviously know nothing about its inspiration.

On 10/9/2023 at 7:34 PM, Katy M said:

I've read 3 George Elliiott novels, but she never came to mind. I said Mary Shelley even hougth I knew that was way wrong.

I knew the date was wrong but Mary Shelley was the only one I could think of.  I doubt I would ever have come up with George Elliott; she just doesn't come to my mind pretty much ever unless one of her book titles is involved.

• Like 1
On 10/9/2023 at 11:02 PM, GreekGeek said:

I briefly became obsessed with heavyweight boxing in the 1970's, so I knew Rocky Marciano.

I always get Rocky Marciano and Rocky Graziano confused.  This clue was no exception.  I guess that's the price I pay for finally getting Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis straight.

On 10/10/2023 at 8:01 PM, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Westminster never occurred to me.

I was excited when I saw that New Zealand was the FJ category because I know a lot about NZ.  Except that question.  Despite my extensive knowledge of medieval cathedrals and actually having gone to Canterbury, I said Salisbury, then Durham, even though I knew Durham Cathedral did not exist before the late 11th century.  Never settled on the correct city.

I started with Van Gogh's Irises then switched to Monet's Water Lilies but went back to Irises because I thought the green was more prominent in their stems than in the Water Lily paintings.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

We've all heard about the re-using clues thing, but now I think I've spotted one! This clue about the Joy Luck Club was, if not identical, then extremely similar to the Final Jeopardy clue in my fourth game (the one I lost, even though I got it right).

Very similar, per the archive:

The FJ clue from 7/2/18: In a 1989 novel, Jing-Mei Woo says, "My father has asked me to be the fourth corner" in this title group

The DJ clue from last night's game: A 1989 bestseller begins, "My father has asked me to be the fourth corner at" this

• Like 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I knew the date was wrong but Mary Shelley was the only one I could think of.  I doubt I would ever have come up with George Elliott; she just doesn't come to my mind pretty much ever unless one of her book titles is involved.

Well you were only 3 days early with your Mary Shelley response. And at least she wasn't in a "Women" category.

Another so-so game - not great, but not too bad except for a couple of stinker categories.

Only one good category in the J round. Got 4 in "Spooky Literature" (a category they should have saved for Halloween?). Got the missed DD of volleyball.

Had 3 good categories in DJ. Got 4 in "'L' On Earth", "Rank-ly Speaking" and "You Need To Clear That Up". TSs were Chinatown and private.

It wasn't an instaget, but I got FJ long before the think music ended. Nausea just kinda popped into my head, and then I thought that nau could have come from nautical which made me think I was right. And I guess Steve had trouble counting as malaise is not a 6 letter word.

Side note - glad to see that the season 40 thread got pinned.

• Like 1

October 12:

67% / 63% / 66%

Meh game (I also got home about a minute before it started and had to put groceries away while trying to hear the first several clues). In J I ran Got Milk, missed one in Spooky Literature and Words from 2 Letters, two in Sportsball and World Orchestra, and four in Aaron Burr. In DJ I ran You Need to Clear That Up, missed three in Presidents' Executive Orders and two in everything else.

FJ was an instaget, says this motion-sickness-prone player. 🤢

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 3 + 1 DD) I got condensed milk, volleyball (DD) and FDR.

Yay, I was rooting for Josh.

• Like 3

I first thought "malaise" for FJ, but then counted the letters.  Then I thought "nauseous", which of course has way way too many.  I did manage to shorten it sufficiently in time to write it down.

The only TS I got were Chinatown and private.

I laughed out loud not only at the categories of Aaron Burr and Got Milk, but also at the way the one contestant pronounced "Aaron Burr" when he selected the category.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

I was watching with a large group tonight (I usually watch alone), and we all took issue with crediting the Bangles with Hazy Shade of Winter also.

For FJ, I first thought malaise -> malady, and then my father said 'nausea' and I knew he was correct. I cannot take the credit for the correct response, though.

• Like 7

AIUI, for regular play they do not schedule contestants with the same first name to be in the same game.  In a tournament that may not always be possible.  Would they use first names and initials (if different)?  What if the last initials were the same?

On 10/11/2023 at 4:00 PM, chicagofan said:

Today was an o.k. game - not great, but not too bad either. No TSs/missed DDs for me today - I should have gotten Dorothy Sayers as I've read the Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, but couldn’t pull her name out of my old, tired brain.

This old, tired brain did somehow manage to pull out Dorothy Sayers, even though I've never read anything by her.  I'm British though, so it may be genetic.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

I was watching with a large group tonight (I usually watch alone), and we all took issue with crediting the Bangles with Hazy Shade of Winter also.

For FJ, I first thought malaise -> malady, and then my father said 'nausea' and I knew he was correct. I cannot take the credit for the correct response, though.

You look so downcast, I think it's okay to take the credit just this one time.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
23 minutes ago, Driad said:

AIUI, for regular play they do not schedule contestants with the same first name to be in the same game.  In a tournament that may not always be possible.  Would they use first names and initials (if different)?  What if the last initials were the same?

You made me go google...there were two Rachels in the finals of the 2008 Teen tournament. One of them had the nickname "Steve" among her friends so she used that for her last two games. Rachel "Steve" Cooke.

Another comment I saw on reddit said, "They usually go by a nickname (John and Johnny or John and Jonathan). James Holzhauer is actually always called Jamie in real life by friends but he goes by James on TV because when he first appeared on The Chase there was another contestant named Jamie on the same episode so he went by James instead. So that became his "professional" name. One poster here on Reddit who knows James said it was very weird to hear him go by James (instead of Jamie)." 

Someone else mentioned a player using their middle name for the game.

• Like 2
  • Useful 4
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Old fart here. Look, I like the Bangles; I even like their version of the song, but no. Just no. This is a Simon and Garfunkel song!

Screenshot_20231012_200927_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Yes! I said the same thing.

Chinatown was my only ts.

Re FJ, for reasons unknown I went with French mal de mer instead of Latin so ended up with malady. I am 0/4 for FJs this week. Tonight is my last hope.

• Like 4

Hate to inform you purists, but even though A Hazy Shade of Winter was written by Paul Simon, and originally recorded by Simon & Garfunkel, it was a bigger hit for the Bangles. For S&G, it peaked at #13, according to Billboard magazine, but the Bangles' version topped out at #2 in 1987. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I guess that's the price I pay for finally getting Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis straight.

I still have trouble under a time constraint.

16 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Old fart here. Look, I like the Bangles; I even like their version of the song, but no. Just no. This is a Simon and Garfunkel song!

Screenshot_20231012_200927_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Amen.

13 hours ago, Ancaster said:

This old, tired brain did somehow manage to pull out Dorothy Sayers, even though I've never read anything by her.  I'm British though, so it may be genetic.

And I confidently said "Ngaio Marsh"... Sigh...

12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

You look so downcast, I think it's okay to take the credit just this one time.

Sorry, but as the contest rule maker/breaker, I have to agree with @secnarf on this one. But hugs to secnarf.

1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

Hate to inform you purists, but even though A Hazy Shade of Winter was written by Paul Simon, and originally recorded by Simon & Garfunkel, it was a bigger hit for the Bangles. For S&G, it peaked at #13, according to Billboard magazine, but the Bangles' version topped out at #2 in 1987. 

Well....I hate to be a purist, but just because it's a bigger hit doesn't make it their song. They didn't write it, compose it, or make the original recording. That was all Simon and Garfunkle. It was a great cover, but covers - even with bigger chart numbers - do not ownership make.

Yay! I finally got an FJ this week.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 8
  • Applause 4

I went through the same process as many of you (malady > mal > malaise > too many letters > nausea).  I had a moment of doubt thinking it came to me because of the “sea” part, and that is definitely not a Latin word, but then made the nau/nautical connection.

And after I figured that out, I promptly threw the donuts in the trash because hey, I got one!

I had no idea “Hazy Shade of Winter” was a Simon and Garfunkel song.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well....I hate to be a purist, but just because it's a bigger hit doesn't make it their song. They didn't write it, compose it, or make the original recording. That was all Simon and Garfunkle. It was a great cover, but covers - even with bigger chart numbers - do not ownership make.

Exactly.  Which is why it's "Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You", not "Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You".  Although I do struggle crediting Bob Dylan with All Along the Watchtower because Jimi Hendrix's version blows his completely out of the galaxy.

• Like 11

I think unless you're referencing something specific to the cover version, it's better to say "the [original band] song" (especially when one member of said band wrote the damn thing).  An exception - in a trivia contest like this, not in a piece of music journalism - would be when the original recording is an obscure thing most people have never heard, or the cover became iconic and completely eclipsed the original so that everyone has forgotten it was a cover (e.g. "Respect" would be called an Aretha Franklin, not Otis Redding, song).

• Like 5

Pretty good J round, but a DJ round best forgotten.

In the J round I ran "Let's Get Medical", and got 4 in "Who Said This?" and "Awards & Honors". TSs were Children of a Lesser God and Pebble Beach.

Only one decent category in DJ - got 4 in "Felonious Monk". No TSs/missed DDs which just sums up this round for me.

In FJ I never really settled on a response. I did think of Monaco and Prince Rainier, but I don't think I can count it. Sigh!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

or the cover became iconic and completely eclipsed the original so that everyone has forgotten it was a cover (e.g. "Respect" would be called an Aretha Franklin, not Otis Redding, song).

Another example: Soft Cell's version of Tainted Love (written by a member of the Four Preps) has totally eclipsed Gloria Jones's 1964 version which is also very good.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1