Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve usually had good luck searching for jeopardy today’s full episode on YouTube but the one that came up today weirdly went to some random stuff when it was time for FJ. Tried again and the next option went through to the end. 

I've started to look at the comments to see if anyone mentions anything that makes it not worth watching. Only problem is you risk spoilers if they talk about the FJ answer. I checked next week's TV guide and there's no pre-game show listed at J! Time.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was beyond an instaget. Too easy.

Maybe for you.  I didn't have a clue.  Does that make me stupid?

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I've started to look at the comments to see if anyone mentions anything that makes it not worth watching. Only problem is you risk spoilers if they talk about the FJ answer. I checked next week's TV guide and there's no pre-game show listed at J! Time.

What's an example of something that would make it not worth watching?

Edited by Ancaster

My local ABC sportscaster said that ABC will carry one of the Monday Night Football games through/into December. I've read that they're doing this because of the writers/actors strikes. Don't know about pre-game shows though.  We did have one here in Chicago tonight, but it pre-empted a half hour of local news and Wheel of Fortune. Jeopardy's not impacted here since it airs at 3:30 p.m.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was beyond an instaget. Too easy

2 hours ago, Ancaster said:

No. Not stupid.
I am a terrible Jeopardy! player even though my IQ is higher than average.
I knew the FJ of Watson & Crick because I was fascinated by DNA 🧬 and RNA in the 1960s.
In contrast, I know practically zilch about opera or sports or most history.

I thought these last 2 Mondays were easier overall, just as the Monday New York Times crossword puzzle clues are deliberately selected for their relative familiarity to a greater number of players.
But maybe it was just a fluke.🤔

Still, I almost never run a category, but I ran FARMING PHRASES — not because I know much about farming — but because I grew up in a home where knowledge of idioms was valued.

1 hour ago, Ancaster said:

Did anyone else think Ken was a bit mean to ask the guy to Be More Specific on the Amy Carter pet clue?

Not me, and I couldn’t think of “Amy” in time either.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Not at all.

6 hours ago, Ancaster said:

What's an example of something that would make it not worth watching?

Sometimes the videos people upload have weird jumps that cut out clues, or other weirdness edited in that just make it annoying to watch. I've seen one that was missing half the game. Sometimes they do things to try to avoid getting it pulled for copyright reasons (though they usually don't stay up long, anyway). Sometimes if one or two clues get skipped over I just check the archive for them but if it's more than that it's just frustrating.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
10 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Did anyone else think Ken was a bit mean to ask the guy to Be More Specific on the Amy Carter pet clue?

Since the contestant didn't know the answer (Rosalynn? Really?), no. FYI, he (Jimmy, not Ken) and Rosalynn have 4 children: Jack, James III, Donnel and Amy, 12 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.

• Like 6

I got snookered by ABC7 in NYC. With football there they had Jeopardy scheduled for 2:35am (it was listed as the 9-25 new one) so I recorded. But it turned out to just be a Mayim rerun. And it doesn't seem to be on YouTube anymore.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 3
On 9/22/2023 at 7:20 PM, chicagofan said:

FJ was a big time instaget - said Handel before Ken finished reading the clue. Fireworks was the key to my 4th correct FJ of the week.

A total instaget for me as well, even if I'm not that fond of Handel.

Last night: I don't know why I knew that Coolidge's wife was named Grace or that they had a pet raccoon, but that obscure bit of knowledge helped me run White House Pets.  All the others were easy, even the Roosevelt one because I've read books about Teddy and his family.

I got FJ simply because my policy is "If it's dna-related scientists, it's always Crick & Watson".  Poor Rosalind Franklin who doesn't get the credit she deserved and died before they won the Nobel Prize for the discovery.

I didn't get Justin Bieber in the lyrics category (I went with Celine Dion) but I did get Elton John and the Doobie Brothers.

11 hours ago, Ancaster said:

No.  I wish they'd always insist on the first and last names.

43 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Since the contestant didn't know the answer (Rosalynn? Really?), no. FYI, he (Jimmy, not Ken) and Rosalynn have 4 children: Jack, James III, Donnel and Amy, 12 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren.

I will confess to being very surprised when I found out that Jimmy & Rosalynn had more than one child since Amy was the only one ever mentioned at the time.  Obviously because she was actually still young enough to be living with them in the White House, but still, you'd think there would've been the occasional mention of the older children.  Maybe there was and I just didn't notice.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Not at all. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We also have a phrase - "It's Easy If You Know It" that we use - because what's easy for some is almost always difficult for someone else.

28 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Last night: I don't know why I knew that Coolidge's wife was named Grace or that they had a pet raccoon, but that obscure bit of knowledge helped me run White House Pets.  All the others were easy, even the Roosevelt one because I've read books about Teddy and his family.

I didn't get Coolidge, but I did get in the neighborhood mostly because of the hat.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Not at all. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. We also have a phrase - "It's Easy If You Know It" that we use - because what's easy for some is almost always difficult for someone else.

Yep, there are certain subjects which are just excellent for us and others which are terrible.  The Dreaded Opera Category (it was actually titled that in one game) would be the one on which I'd bet everything even if I already had an insurmountable lead.  Anything political, on the other hand, is an anathema to me.  Hence my surprise at knowing the Coolidge wife/raccoon tidbit.

And we do tend to get a little blind when expressing how easy we found a particular clue, completely forgetting that other people have different areas of interest and knowledge.  So no one here is stupid if they don't get one of my instaget FJs because I'm sure they have ones about which I am completely clueless.  Bad pun intended. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

I stared at Monday's FJ clue for about 29 seconds, thinking, this pair... RNA and DNA...? until the right "this pair" clicked in.  Fortunately my electronic pen is able to defy the laws of time and transfer the answer directly from my brain.  (In other words, I'm givin' myself credit for it!)

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 3

After it was answered I remembered "oh, yeah, Grace Coolidge" and I've probably heard about the pet raccoon but I couldn't think of it in time.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And we do tend to get a little blind when expressing how easy we found a particular clue, completely forgetting that other people have different areas of interest and knowledge.  So no one here is stupid if they don't get one of my instaget FJs because I'm sure they have ones about which I am completely clueless.  Bad pun intended. 🙂

Yes, when I say "too easy" I just mean for me. But I like to read about science, evolution in particular is a topic of interest, and I also listen to multiple science-related podcasts.

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I stared at Monday's FJ clue for about 29 seconds, thinking, this pair... RNA and DNA...? until the right "this pair" clicked in.  Fortunately my electronic pen is able to defy the laws of time and transfer the answer directly from my brain.  (In other words, I'm givin' myself credit for it!)

I give myself credit as long as I come up with it before the first response is revealed.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Better game today than yesterday, especially in DJ. Only one good category in the J round - got 4 in "Who "AR" They?". TSs/missed DDs were Elizabeth Arden and Mariner (DD)

Decent DJ round. Ran "Translate the Britishism", and got 4 in "American Islands" and "In the Corporate Arena". Would have run "Islands" but said Namtucket instead of Martha's Vineyard. TSs/missed DDs were Molokai, Wells Fargo (has no one seen The Music Man?), javelin (DD) and concoct.

2 for 2 in FJs so far this week. Not an instaget, but got it well before the think music ended. And what was Ollie thinking? College Bowl was a game show, not a publication. While i was confirming that Allen Ludden once hosted College Bowl I discovered that Art Fleming once hosted a radio version of College Bowl. Small world.

Glad Michalle won. Didn't care one way or the other about Ollie, but David got more annoying as the game went on with his pauses.

• Like 2

September 26:

73% / 60% / 67%

Good first round, not as good second round. Again. Didn't run anything, but in J! I missed one in Who AR They?, Home Spa, Venus, and Allusions, and two in Caves and Face Tattoos. In DJ I missed one in Britishisms and 3 Cs, two in Corporate Arena and Medicine & History, and three in American Islands and You Could Put an Eye Out.

I got FJ, after a brief think.

TSes: (J! had 5, including the DD, DJ had 6, including 1 DD) I got carbon dioxide, Mammoth Cave, jojoba, Wells Fargo, lice, and javelin (DD).

25 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

David got more annoying as the game went on with his pauses.

I was about to say the same thing. I kept yelling "c'mon! hurry up!" The big sighs were annoying, too.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Ran "Translate the Britishism"

One of the clues in that category annoyed me, the one about limericks having five "queues" (instead of lines).

Queue only means "line" in the sense of a line of people (or a sequence of computer commands). When talking about poetry, the British say "lines" just like Americans do.

Edited by MrAtoz
  • Like 7
  • Applause 2
4 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

One of the clues in that round annoyed me, the one about limericks having five "queues" (instead of lines).

Queue only means "line" in the sense of a line of people (or a sequence of computer commands). When talking about poetry, the British say "lines" just like Americans do.

That's probably why that's the only clue I missed in that category. I know what queue means but I wouldn't connect it with lines of poetry. At least not in the time I have for a Jeopardy question. (Side peeve: when people write "queue" when they mean "cue.")

• Like 6
48 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

One of the clues in that category annoyed me, the one about limericks having five "queues" (instead of lines).

That bugged me too. Despite that we also use line - as in line up - for queuing, I was pretty sure it didn't make sense in a poem.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I think that category was a mix of Britishisms that literally meant the same thing in the context of the clue (like pram/baby carriage) and ones that didn't (garden/yard - inches don't have anything to do with gardens).  The Rubbage/Garbage one, I don't know enough to say which category that one fit in.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

That's probably why that's the only clue I missed in that category. I know what queue means but I wouldn't connect it with lines of poetry.

I almost missed it but only because I don't know what "anapestic" means.  I don't think of "queue" in terms of poetry, but I know it's a line so I went with what I knew even if it seemed a little off.  Did get FJ, though it took a moment.  I was all "what?" then focused on the pub part of the clue, which led me to beer and Guinness.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I think that category was a mix of Britishisms that literally meant the same thing in the context of the clue (like pram/baby carriage) and ones that didn't (garden/yard - inches don't have anything to do with gardens).  The Rubbage/Garbage one, I don't know enough to say which category that one fit in.

Rubbish and garbage are pretty good synonyms with no nonsense -- my only problem with that clue was apparently even though I was aware of Garbage in approximately 1996 my brain couldn't grasp that Rubbish was not the name of the group so I was struggling to figure out what was missing. 

Queue/line was annoying, yard slightly less so. It would have been better if all of the clues had used that type of link and/or if they had been clear the connection was not based on the meaning.

When FJ came up I was sure that Ollie would get it, so I was shocked that he didn't. Maybe it was a case of overthinking it. But I was rooting for Michalle, so I was pleased for her.

• Like 4

Another so-so game today - been a so-so kinda week so far. There were some responses I should have gotten but didn't like Ebenezer Baptist Church and fifth - just couldn't spit them out.

Only highlight in the J round was running "A Soviet Union". TSs/missed DDs were Brad Pitt (a total guess), Pope John Paul II (DD), Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and chestnut.

Had 3 decent categories in DJ - got 4 in "M"usicals", "Rivers of Africa" and "The Pipe Organ". TSs/missed DDs were Kalahari Desert (DD) and Green Party.

Got my 3rd FJ of the week. Aureum in the clue led me to gold and then to golden fleece. Unfortunately Barb got it right too - something about her bugged me so I didn't want her to win.

• Like 3

September 27:

73% / 53% / 64%

Good first round, bad second…this is becoming a pattern. Ran Law & Order, Brad to the Bone, and Mixed Nuts, missed two in A Soviet Union, and three in Funeral Officiants and Tricky Questions. In DJ I missed one in Pipe Organ, two in Title Women and Sounds Fractional, and three in Musicals, Rivers of Africa, and Let's Party. 

FJ was an instaget. Not because I knew the mythology (other than that the Golden Fleece is a thing), but from the Latin and knowing that the chemical symbol for gold is Au and vellum is made from animal skin). 

TSes: (J= 7 + DD; DJ= 8 + 1DD) I got pistachio (before she answered with the incorrect plural; I had a feeling they were going to take that one away), Brad Pitt, Queen Mother, chestnut, John Paul II (DD), Moulin Rouge, Green Party, Wadi, and fifth.

Of the 15 triple stumpers, no one even attempted to answer seven of them.

32 minutes ago, chicagofan said:

There were some responses I should have gotten but didn't like Ebenezer Baptist Church and fifth - just couldn't spit them out.

I had the same problem with that one. "The one where Senator Warnock preaches now..!" Also couldn't find Miss Saigon in my brain. I am blaming the brain-meltingly cute kitten I saw a little while ago.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

I got as far as "gold" in FJ, but couldn't connect "vellus" with anything in time.  

But I did get a lot of TS, including Brad Pitt, Queen Mother, Ebenezer Baptist, Colin Clive (by process of elimination), chestnut, Green Party, Kalahari, Wadi (thank you crossword puzzles!), Reform, and fifth.

• Like 4
16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

FJ was an instaget. Not because I knew the mythology (other than that the Golden Fleece is a thing), but from the Latin and knowing that the chemical symbol for gold is Au and vellum is made from animal skin).

It wasn't an instaget for me, but I did recognize gold and then tied vellus to vellum to skin to fleece.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

It wasn't an instaget for me, but I did recognize gold and then tied vellus to vellum to skin to fleece.

That's how I got it.  My knowledge of Mythology is pretty solid, but my Latin ain't great.

18 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Got my 3rd FJ of the week. Aureum in the clue led me to gold and then to golden fleece. Unfortunately Barb got it right too - something about her bugged me so I didn't want her to win.

Me, too.  I was rooting for Allison.

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I am blaming the brain-meltingly cute kitten I saw a little while ago.

That is indeed a brain-meltingly cute kitten.

18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I had the same problem with that one. "The one where Senator Warnock preaches now..!"

I said it's that one in Atlanta.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Colin Clive (by process of elimination),

I got this one because a friend and I watched Frankenstein on Svengoolie a few months ago.

• Like 6

Damn you judges! You had to reverse your ruling and let Barb out of the hole she dug for herself. Please let Michalle or Jilana win tomorrow. Please... please...please.

And my mediocre week continues - in fact it was probably the worst game this week, especially in the J round. Did have 2 good categories - got 4 in "Natural Biology" and "Seoul Food". Unfortunately I know next to nothing about Marvel/Avengers and totally whiffed on that category. And I only got 1 right in "People Who Knead People" and that was a total guess of corporate. And no TSs. Sigh! 

Did better in DJ. Got 4 in "Invest" and "Fashion History" and got the TSs/missed DDs of Yalta (DD), the Netherlands (Willem got me there) and Jules Verne (DD). I should have gotten Francis Drake but spaced out on the English part of the clue - said Henry (the Navigator).

However there was a bright spot today in that I got my 4th FJ of the week. Somehow all the piece parts of the clue came together and got me to the New World Symphony. Yay!

• Like 4

September 28: Overall, not a bad game.

80% / 63% / 72%

J!: Good round! Ran three categories - Beastly Literary Characters, Natural Biology, and People Who Knead People; missed one in Seoul Food (surprising) and New Words in the 1600s, and four in Marvel Villains (not surprising).

DJ: And the pattern continues…in DJ I ran We've Got to Stop Meeting Like This, missed one in Invest and From the Greek, two in Fashion History, three in Games People Play, and four in Around the Horn.

For FJ, I had no clue, threw out "New World Symphony" based on the part about it debuting in the US, then decided to check the archive before they were done, and yelled "Oh my god I was right!"

TSes: (J had 4; DJ had 3 + both DDs) I got foot, deciduous, Yalta (DD), and Francis Drake.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

For FJ, I had no clue, threw out "New World Symphony" based on the part about it debuting in the US, then decided to check the archive before they were done, and yelled "Oh my god I was right!"

I did exactly the same thing, except for checking the archive!  I wasn't even sure there was a New World Symphony!  It just sounded reasonable.  I completely shocked myself.

The only TS I got were deciduous, Yalta, and Drake.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
18 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Damn you judges! You had to reverse your ruling and let Barb out of the hole she dug for herself. Please let Michalle or Jilana win tomorrow. Please... please...please.

I like Barb (and the others) and I was frustrated and sad to see her dig herself into a hole. So I was happy the ruling was (correctly - looked it up) reversed. I don't like seeing anyone humiliated (well...maybe one or two...I ain't perfect) so I'm content that she's not as deep in the hole for the next one.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, chicagofan said:

Technically it was correct, but I do not enjoy her as a contestant at all, so I get it.

FJ was such an instaget for me.  Dvorak's Symphony no. 9 in E-minor (From the New World) is one of my very favorite pieces of classical music.  I always crank it way up and let the first and last movements just roll through the house like thunder.  And yes, I am pedantic enough to put my answer that way rather than the "New World Symphony" if I had sufficient time.

21 hours ago, chicagofan said:

I should have gotten Francis Drake

I apparently had two personalities in my mouth for that clue because I literally said "Raleigh.  No, not Raleigh.  Raleigh.  Stop saying Raleigh.  Drake, it's Drake!".  Did get there in time, fortunately.

• LOL 3

Did a little better today, but still not that great. It was feast or famine in the J round - either did really well in a category or did badly. Got 4 in "The Ship of State" and ran "That's a Vegas Casino" and "Back to School". One TS - Oregon Pine.

Did about the same in DJ. Got 4 in "Cow Country" and "Complete the Oxymoron". Again one TS - Duncan Phyfe.

First missed FJ this week. I had the right idea, but picked the wrong vice president - John Adams instead of Aaron Burr. Oh well, still a good week of FJs with 4 out of 5.

So what happens now with Second Chance? I think the 3 "winners" play each other. When? Ken didn't really say what happens next.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 2

I don't think Michalle's answer of "Flamingos" (plural) should have been accepted. The category was "That's a Vegas casino" and the casino was (is?) "The Flamingo" (singular).

Does anyone know what happens Monday? The SCT is now over. Will they go back to regular contestants/games (with the "recycled" clues)? Or will that "Season 37 & 38 Champions Wild Card Tournament" start?

September 29:

73% / 60% / 66%

And my pattern persists…ran Weird Al Parodies (would have been very disappointed in myself if I hadn't) and That's a Vegas Casino, missed one in Words that End with E, two in Chemical Formulas and Back to School, and three in Ship of State. In DJ I missed one in Complete the Oxymoron, three in Vikings, and two in everything else.

Did not get FJ…gah! so close to a perfect week!

TSes: (There were 2 in J!, 4+1DD in DJ) I got calcium oxide, glucose, and Angus.

6 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I don't think Michalle's answer of "Flamingos" (plural) should have been accepted. The category was "That's a Vegas casino" and the casino was (is?) "The Flamingo" (singular).

Yeah, but the wording of the clue was "...millions of these pink wading birds..." which seems to imply the response is plural, so I feel like they have to accept it (or should have rewritten the clue).

1 minute ago, Quickbeam said:

So happy I got Burr! Thank you, New Jersey public education! 

Apparently my Jersey education has failed me...

• Like 6
  • LOL 2